DescriptionLove for Sail! is the sixth game in Al Lowe's Leisure Suit Larry series. Larry unexpectedly receives a ticket to a cruise ship. Upon the arrival of the passengers, a mega-contest is announced. This contest includes various kinds of sports and activities, from bowling to love-making. The winner will get to "score" with the sexy Captain Thigh. Naturally, there is no way Larry can win this contest fairly, so he must use his brains to solve the tricky puzzles of the game, and cheat his way into the Captain's bed.
The game's structure is similar to that of its predecessor: the entire game takes place in a large enclosed area (in this case, the cruise ship), with the gameplay focusing on inventory-based puzzles and conversations. The game features a context-sensitive interface: clicking on an object brings forth a series of verbs which the player can choose in order to interact with the given object. In addition to that, it is possible to try and type any other verb (provided the game understands it), just like in old adventure games with text interface. Sometimes it is necessary to think outside of the box and come up with unusual actions in order to solve a puzzle.
Several new features have been added to the game, attempting to make players into more "active" participants of the playing process. Using a microphone, players can add their own voices, while using a scanner lets players insert their own photos into the game. Another feature that grabs attention is the automatic wallpaper. When Larry "scores" with a woman, that woman's image can be displayed as wallpaper on the Windows desktop.
- "Ларри 7: Секс под парусом" -- Russian spelling
- "Ларри 7 В выходном костюме: Любовь под парусами" -- Russian title
- "LSL7" -- Common abbreviation
- "Leisure Suit Larry: איזו מין הפלגה" -- Hebrew spelling
- "Leisure Suit Larry: Yacht nach Liebe!" -- German title
- "Leisure Suit Larry dans "Drague en Haute Mer !"" -- French title
- "Leisure Suit Larry 7" -- Informal title
- "Larry 7: Seks pod Parusom" -- Russian title
- "Larry 7: Milosc na Fali" -- Polish title
- "Larry 7" -- Common title
Part of the Following Groups
The Press Says
|Just Adventure||Jun 17, 2002||A+||100|
|Just Games Retro||Sep 17, 2006||100|
|Pelit||Jan, 1997||94 out of 100||94|
|Privat Computer PC||1996||84 out of 100||84|
|Adventure Classic Gaming||Feb 24, 1999||4 out of 5||80|
|CyberJoy||Feb 14, 2001||4 out of 5||80|
|High Score||Mar, 1997||4 out of 5||80|
|Gamesmania||1996||70 out of 100||70|
|GameSpot||Feb 27, 1997||6.7 out of 10||67|
|Game Revolution||Dec, 1996||B-||67|
|Topic||# Posts||Last Post|
|How to I record my voice?||8||Happy Rabbi (1303)
Nov 25, 2007
Alternate endingThe game features a series of easter eggs which show each and every one of the girls in a more...uhm, "revealing" form, and if the player manages to score all the points, gets all the easter eggs, and finds all the dildos an alternate ending is unlocked.
Cybersniff 2000The original version of Love for Sail came packaged with a "Cybersniff 2000" card reminiscent of the "Scratch'n'Sniff" goodie from Infocom's classic Leather Goddesses of Phobos. In certain locations and situations throughout Larry's adventure, the game displays a blinking number to indicate a specific smell. You're supposed to scratch the corresponding square on the card and sniff.
The nine smells:
Square Smell Location(s) 1 Sea breeze Decks / Mast 2 Coconut Drew / Forward Hold 3 Deodorant Aft Hold 4 Vanilla Owner's Suite / Smell Handkerchief 5 Fart Casino 6 Moldiness Cabin / Aft Hold 7 Fish Kitchen / Lovemaster 2000 8 Cheese Smell Cheese / Smell Mold 9 Chocolate Desert Room
Logic errorsPlayers can still use the courtesy phone to talk to Mr. Boning even after he's dead.
- The music playing at the spa with the Juggs is the same as the title music from Freddy Pharkas: Frontier Pharmacist.
- The music that is playing when Larry enters Captain Thygh's room is from Wagner's Tannhäuser. This opera deals with the conflict between physical love and spiritual ideals.
NovelIn 1997 there was a German novelization of the game named Die verrückten Abenteuer des Larry Laffer by Steve Whitton (ISNB 3-404-13928-3).
Picture wallThe left wall of the high security hallway leading up to the PMS Bouncy's staff break room is lined with pictures of alleged former winners of Captain Thygh's contest (see screenshots section). These are photos of real-life persons. The most obviously recognizable one is Bill Clinton, President of the United States at the time of Love for Sail's release. But who are the other nine people?
15 years after the game's release, in August 2011, Sierra's Al Lowe, Mark Seibert and Ken Williams recall most of them:
Top row, left to right:
- Cendant's Walter Forbes, then Sierra board member, as of 2011 convicted criminal
- Bill Clinton, President of the United States
- Mike Brochu, then Sierra president
- Randy Dersham of Dynamix
- Jeff Tunnell, Dynamix founder
Bottom row, left to right:
- Ken Williams, Sierra founder
- Jerry Bowerman, then Ken William's assistant
- Scott Lynch, then head of Sierra development, as of 2011 COO of Valve.
On the last two, even the triumvirate has to pass after all these years. If anyone can clear up the mystery, please contribute!
- All of the names for the babes in Larry 7 (except the final one) are based on real female celebrities:
- Victorian Principles (Victoria Principal)
- Dewmi More (Demi Moore)
- Jamie Lee Coitus (Jamie Lee Curtis)
- The Juggs (The Judds)
- Drew Baringmore (Drew Barrymore)
- Annette Boning (Annette Bening)
- The four men that order a martini in the casino, represents the actors that have portrayed James Bond in the 007 films up to the game's release (except George Lazenby): Roger Moore, Sean Connery, Timothy Dalton and Pierce Brosnan.
- After Victorian principles changes into "Vicki", you can see that she's playing Leisure Suit Larry 6: Shape Up or Slip Out! on her PC.
Related Web Sites
- Al Lowe's Humor Site (The creator of Leisure Suit Larry 7's homepage)
- Hints for LSL7 (Robert Norton penned these hints, which will give you just what you need to solve the game.)
- Walkthrough (Full solution for Leisure Suit Larry: Love for Sail!)