🤔 How many games prominently feature cats? (answer)

Forums > News > Rumored Sega Handheld on the cutting room floor.

AxelStone (34) on 1/30/2008 3:53 PM · Permalink · Report

The rumored Sega "Hedgehog" handheld console is nothing more than a myth according to industry insider Michael Hodgson. It was actually intended to be a handheld multimedia player with the functionality to play back bundled Sega Genesis titles however the company in question that was tasked to develop the hardware has recently gone into receivership and as such the hardware is unlikely to ever see the light of day. This is bad news for Sega fans everywhere who were waiting anxiously for news of Sega's resurgence into the hardware market however at a time when Sega is prospering producing quality software for all current consoles no such risky hardware revival is expected.

GAMEBOY COLOR! (1990) on 1/30/2008 7:28 PM · Permalink · Report

Sega might release another handheld ? Didn't they learn anything from the constant Game Boy beating they got in the 90s ?

Pseudo_Intellectual (66793) on 1/30/2008 7:34 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

I don't know, Nintendo ignored the beating it got through most of this decade in the console market and seems to be coming out all right. The question is how deep the pockets are: for how many generations can one sustain a beating?

GAMEBOY COLOR! (1990) on 1/30/2008 7:41 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

Yeah but Nintendo is still making consoles and handhelds. Sega stopped after the Dreamcast failed. And Nintendo somehow still made money despite thier arrogance in the 90s and the GameCube era. Sega made lots of horrendous consoles in the early 90s and lost huge amounts of money. Like 32X. But it would be nice to see Sega back with a console as popular as the Genesis.

mobiusclimber (235) on 1/30/2008 9:19 PM · Permalink · Report

"...Sega is prospering producing quality software for all current consoles..."

"prospering," mabye. but "quality"? has this person even PLAYED shadow the hedgehog?

DJP Mom (11333) on 1/30/2008 9:25 PM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start mobiusclimber wrote--]has this person even PLAYED shadow the hedgehog? [/Q --end mobiusclimber wrote--] He does call himself a "Sega man" in his rap sheet ;-)

mobiusclimber (235) on 1/31/2008 12:15 AM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start DJP Mom wrote--] [Q2 --start mobiusclimber wrote--]has this person even PLAYED shadow the hedgehog? [/Q2 --end mobiusclimber wrote--] He does call himself a "Sega man" in his rap sheet ;-) [/Q --end DJP Mom wrote--]

i dunno after reading his rap sheet he sounds a lot like me. i grew up w/ sega, always loved em, but they really screwed me over a couple times. and right now i can't get too excited over most of their new games b/c frankly they tend to be beating to death all their old properties and it's pretty sad to see such lame games come out of a company that had once been daring and released the craziest games this side of japan. sega just isn't very innovative anymore. but when the dreamcast died i kinda gave up on them just out of principle and they've done nothign to change that.

Игги Друге (46653) on 1/30/2008 11:51 PM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Pseudo_Intellectual wrote--]I don't know, Nintendo ignored the beating it got through most of this decade in the console market and seems to be coming out all right.[/Q --end Pseudo_Intellectual wrote--] That kind of beating can be shrugged off if you are the supreme ruler of the handheld market.

Pseudo_Intellectual (66793) on 1/31/2008 12:36 AM · Permalink · Report

I didn't realise there was that much money in handhelds!

Kartanym (12416) on 1/31/2008 5:10 AM · Permalink · Report

The Sonic franchise has lost much of its pulling power over the years, due in no small part to the failure of the Saturn and Dreamcast (remember that article I wrote? :p)

There's plenty of value left in Sega, though. They publish the Total War series, they've worked closely with Nintendo on a few franchises that came out well (F-Zero), Sonic's next title is a DS RPG developed by Bioware. And despite the console problems, Sonic titles sell strongly on the DS.

I'm glad they aren't going into the console business again, though. They're better equipped as a software provider.

Pseudo_Intellectual (66793) on 1/31/2008 6:02 AM · Permalink · Report

Ah, but what about their arcade successes? 8)

mobiusclimber (235) on 1/31/2008 6:08 AM · Permalink · Report

i'm sorry but i seriously miss the dreamcast. and i think it sucks that they are out of the console market. they were probably one of the stupidest companies w/ some of their decisions, but... they made up for the 32x and saturn with the dreamcast. still to this day i can't believe how innovative and just unbelievably great the games on that system were. it seemed like a gift to the fans that stuck w/ sega for so many bad years. why? b/c it had the quirkiest, most hardcore, and just plain awesomest games of any system, ever. fanboy talk? possibly. but if you spend any time playing samba di amigo, shenmue, grandia 2, skies of arcadia, jet grind radio or any number of other dreamcast titles, you're likely to turn into a fan boy yourself.

chirinea (47518) on 2/1/2008 1:54 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

Well, at least we've got that new handheld Mega Drive. =P

Mine just arrived today, I need to buy some batteries and put it to work. And I discovered it was released also in other countries, by different companies (AtGames in Japan and Millennium in Germany, for instance) and in different colors (it can be bought at Play-Asia for US$ 39,90, a whole lot cheaper than the Brazilian version). Check these videos:

A review (in German) with a white version. This one also shows the little console hooked up to a TV.

A video with a black version.