Forums > Game Talk > Witcher 2 & ES5: Skyrim - now I'm psyched!

Jeanne (75931) on 5/10/2011 11:54 AM · Permalink · Report

Role Playing Games in medieval, fantasy settings are "my thing" these days.

The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings - due in stores May 17th (next week!)

Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim - expected November 11, 2011

Is anybody else as excited as I am? Looks like my pocketbook is going to get a tad bit lighter!

Are there any others in the works that I don't know about?

Klaster_1 (57610) on 5/10/2011 5:58 PM · Permalink · Report

You're not alone, Jeanne. Probably most of RPG lovers share the same thoughts. Hope I'll be able to play Witcher 2 right after release and not year after.

Jeanne (75931) on 5/10/2011 8:23 PM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Klaster_1 wrote--]You're not alone, Jeanne. Probably most of RPG lovers share the same thoughts. Hope I'll be able to play Witcher 2 right after release and not year after. [/Q --end Klaster_1 wrote--]Same feelings here!

I had to wait 3 years to play Oblivion because I needed a new graphics card, (actually my motherboard was too old) - ended up replacing the whole system with a new one. Hopefully my newest one (which just had its 2nd birthday) will play this year's games. [fingers crossed]

Looking back I realize something. Each and every time I've replaced a computer, it was because I wanted to play the "latest & greatest" game .. and I got mad that I couldn't. LOL

DJP Mom (11333) on 5/12/2011 10:34 PM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Jeanne wrote--] I had to wait 3 years to play Oblivion because I needed a new graphics card, (actually my motherboard was too old) - ended up replacing the whole system with a new one. Hopefully my newest one (which just had its 2nd birthday) will play this year's games. [fingers crossed] [/Q --end Jeanne wrote--] That's the boat I'm in now =) I bought Witcher 1 from GOG and suddenly realized I won't be able to play it on my little machine, plus, my son already has it for pc! Unfortunately, his pc recently died...

sigh

Maybe next year!

Daniel Saner (3503) on 5/10/2011 9:58 PM · Permalink · Report

I'm pretty sure I'll get those two as well. In theory I'm really not into that clichéd high fantasy stuff, but looking at how many such games I played and how much I enjoyed them, maybe I am after all.

I was all over the previous Elder Scrolls games, although I still find Morrowind to be much more entertaining than Oblivion. I'm curious to see what direction Skyrim will take. And the Witcher I've heard good things about, am just about to pick the first one up from GOG ($5 for the next two weeks!). Of course you should also get the second one from the same place ;)

Jeanne (75931) on 5/12/2011 7:36 PM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Daniel Saner wrote--]And the Witcher I've heard good things about, am just about to pick the first one up from GOG ($5 for the next two weeks!). Of course you should also get the second one from the same place ;) [/Q --end Daniel Saner wrote--]Witcher 1 was great, I thought. I broke down and pre-ordered Witcher 2 from GOG.com yesterday. Huge download .. but at least through their "downloader" you can interrupt it (pause) and continue later. My last hour is finishing now.

The 5 "classic" games you get with the pre-order aren't really that great. I don't remember playing Lure of the Temptress, so I chose that one. I wasn't really interested in the others.

Supposedly other "exclusive" content will be free to those who pre-order. Have no idea what that'll be .. but, ya know, I don't really care. I just wanted the game quick. :)

Slug Camargo (583) on 5/10/2011 10:55 PM · Permalink · Report

I may have mentioned once or twice just how much I loathe this whole fantasy thing. The fact that it includes dragons or orcs or elfses or whatever is enough to put me off pretty much any game.

In the case of Skyrim, I have a barrel of pure hate especially made with its name, because not only it's the same as all the others, it's also guilty of not being a new Fallout. The idiot >:( Even if I wanted to try it out, I wouldn't be able to shake the feeling that whatever I'm doing I could be doing it in a beautiful city in ruins, with a makeshift rifle in my hands and an Andrews Sisters song.

All that said, I'm rather interested about The Witcher 2. I of course heard the endless love letters everyone and their dog dedicated to the first one, and while I tend to take opinions regarding these kinds of games with enough salt to dehydrate a small child, the game did intrigue me a bit. Then, from what I've seen in some videos, the sequel would appear to sport combat mechanics that are actually fun to play! Insane! --So, in this particular case, I might end up biting the dragon and buying. Probably not at full price though.

Indra was here (20752) on 5/10/2011 11:15 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

Just hope they don't leave (again) huge amounts of plot holes for future DLCs.

Hope is never a good thing.

Wonders if the cut scene guys in Witcher 2 are still the same. They rock.

Slug Camargo (583) on 5/11/2011 10:25 PM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Indra was here wrote--]Just hope they don't leave (again) huge amounts of plot holes for future DLCs. [/Q --end Indra was here wrote--] According to this memo I got right here that's actually the new bussiness model of the entire gaming industry. Didn't you get a copy?

Daniel Saner (3503) on 5/12/2011 5:25 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

It would be a bit shameless of CD Projekt to do this after they made such fun of it in their April's Fools game announcement:

"Following recent video game trends the title will offer a very short and linear story. Almost no gameplay whatsoever and twenty launch DLCs, including a special pink banjo (normally obtainable by finishing a game) and a unicorn mount, will have you stuck in front of your computer screen for minutes. Check out the announcement trailer below and visit http://www.saviors-of-queens.com for even less details."

I think we'll be good. They're cool guys =P

Slug Camargo (583) on 5/12/2011 10:55 PM · Permalink · Report

I don't really get this thing with all the cool guys of the internets hating DLC so badly. Sure it sucks when a game has been clearly released incomplete, or when it's just a bunch of multiplayer maps or a pink horse or whatever; but for games like Fallout 3, where you have a huge, sprawling world with endless possibilities of small stories, I think it's a great idea. Point Lookout, for instance, was a /massive/ piece of extra content, full of really cool stuff, and it was well worth every last dime.

In fact, for all my negativity towards New Vegas, I have to admit I think it's pretty cool how the story of each DLC gives out hints for what the next one will be about --each one is a self-contained, completely independent story, but at the same time they have some link or other with the other ones. At least in theory, this way of introducing DLC is even better than the way is was done in Fallout 3.

Dead Money proper is pretty crappy, though.

Indra was here (20752) on 5/12/2011 11:34 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Dr. M. "Schadenfreude" Von Katze wrote--]Sure it sucks when a game has been clearly released incomplete, or when it's just a bunch of multiplayer maps or a pink horse or whatever; but for games like Fallout 3, where you have a huge, sprawling world with endless possibilities of small stories, I think it's a great idea. [/Q --end Dr. M. "Schadenfreude" Von Katze wrote--]Depends on the game. Fallout 3, storywise was complete with practically no plot holes in existence. Perfect in this regard.

Yes, you can kiss my feet now.

Other games however, specifically Witcher had plot holes the size of Asia...when it was still landlocked with Australia. :p

Try thinking Fallout 3 but each main quest was separated into DLCs. That would probably piss you off. Simply put, if it's like traditional expansions, I have no complaints. But some of these DLCs (storywise) sometimes feel like they cut a book in pieces and sold each separately.

Daniel Saner (3503) on 5/13/2011 2:13 PM · Permalink · Report

It really depends. The problem is that DLC are so easily produced and distribution is almost free for the publisher, so there have been a lot of cheap rip-offs, which really drowned out the few positive examples there are. Those are the ones people usually refer to when complaining about DLC. The three main DLC offences I see are:

• Offering too little: Lost and Ballad for GTA IV were HUGE and great add-on experiences, up to the standards of the full game, and from what I hear that's the case for Fallout 3's DLC too. Close to the classic form of add-ons. That's fine. Selling an item that has effectively no impact on gameplay for $5 is not (a car, a costume, a horse armour...), but apparently people will buy it anyway. And financially speaking the publisher probably makes a profit if they sell more than 50 or so.
  • Being mandatory, or almost so: If it seems pretty obvious that the DLC are not additions, but parts of the original game that the publisher later decided to sell separately to make more money from the same content. Also any other case which essentially forces owners of the original game to buy the DLC, lest they be left with an incomplete game/story/experience.
  • Being only available as DLC: as compared to DLC that is later also released in retail (GTA IV) or at least bundled with a re-issue of the original game.

Klaster_1 (57610) on 5/17/2011 1:32 AM · Permalink · Report

So, the Witcher 2 is out. Anyone tried?

Jeanne (75931) on 5/18/2011 6:01 AM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Klaster_1 wrote--]So, the Witcher 2 is out. Anyone tried? [/Q --end Klaster_1 wrote--]YES. Just started it. Watched the intro (amazing! graphics & music are top-notch) and saved when the actual gameplay started. Will continue tomorrow.

Klaster_1 (57610) on 5/18/2011 7:19 AM · edited · Permalink · Report

Same here. I expected it to be more forgiving on hardware - 30 FPS on near high preferences. Got to buy new video card. Amazingly, saves from Russian release were imported flawlessly.

Jeanne (75931) on 5/18/2011 12:44 PM · Permalink · Report

Setup includes language selections. Mine is in English, so I suppose it's the equivalent of the UK version.

BTW, it's DEFINITELY "Mature" - the intro has Very Realistic nude scenes; the voice acting impeccable (so far)

From what I've read, Atari is the Publisher in the US; Namco Bandai Europe (UK at least); 1C in Russia

16 different endings! new graphics RED engine new reagents, spells, oils, potions ... much more

Patrick Bregger (303246) on 5/18/2011 3:28 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

As far as I heard the 16 The Witcher 2 endings have the same variation as the 200 Fallout 3 endings.

I played a hour or so and it is horrifying how much control comfort is lost because they designed the game for a gamepad. I started to play with my gamepad and certainly not because I think gamepads are the best thing ever.

And one more thing: I really hate it if developers can't be bothered to remake the UI in their console ports so they work on PC. You know what? If you release a - at least at this time - PC exclusive game, MAKE DAMN PC MENUS! At least they didn't feel the need to use font size 99 like Bethesda.

Of course if those are my biggest complaints at the end of the game (meaning: the rest reaches the same level as in the predecessor) I am a happy man. And I hope there will be a good explanation why my "I love Shani" Geralt suddenly fucks Triss again. Well, besides the fact that it's Geralt.

Jeanne (75931) on 5/18/2011 10:16 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

I just spent my whole day submitting The Witcher 2 for the database .. the Credits took the longest!

I had a feeling .. somebody else did one too (with the word Assassins misspelled). Wonder who?

edit --> The Premium Edition is the only one out now. Except for, of course, the Collector's Edition.

Unicorn Lynx (181769) on 5/27/2011 7:42 AM · Permalink · Report

And I hope there will be a good explanation why my "I love Shani" Geralt suddenly fucks Triss again

LOL. that's just what I was thinking. I chose Shani in the first game and was surprised to see Geralt and Triss in... err... throes of passion. Not that I'm complaining...

I guess Triss was the canonical screw of the first game. Nothing we monogamous, faithful men can do about :)

As for Skyrim, I hope it will have interesting characters, meaningful role-playing decisions, and enemies who do NOT level up with you - all those little things Oblivion did not have.

Sciere (930964) on 5/26/2011 5:22 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

Can anyone find a release of The Witcher 2 where it's just the game and none of the bonus content? It seems that every release of it (both digital and retail) receives all the "premium edition" bonus content (world map, soundtrack, videos, papercraft, ... ). If that's indeed the case, this premium edition is to become the game's main entry.

Klaster_1 (57610) on 5/27/2011 7:23 AM · Permalink · Report

Looks like Russian jewel case release suits your request perfectly. Nothing included, except activation code and DVD.

Sciere (930964) on 5/27/2011 12:48 PM · Permalink · Report

Hmm, thanks! We decided to stick to a single entry for the base game as every other release (US, UK, retail, digital) includes all premium items. This one can be included to, maybe just a trivia item to clarify. The collector's edition will be a separate one.