🤔 How many games has Beethoven been credited on? (answer)

Forums > Game Talk > Game Journal XVI: Time to clear last decade's backlog edition

vedder (71102) on 1/19/2020 3:48 PM · Permalink · Report

New year, new journal/jorunal.

Spider-Man (PS4) - Great game! Finished this last week, but already started last year. The combat feels similar to the Arkham games, but the real treat is just webslinging through Manhattan from mission to mission.

What Remains of Edith Finch - A very short but powerful and emotional game in the genre I like to call post-adventure. Highly recommended.

Moonlighter - There is only one reason I tried this and that's because it was free on the Epic Game Store. It has very little appeal to me. It focuses on all the elements of RPG games I find most tedious: random dungeons (roguelike), shopping, crafting and grinding in general. It's an interesting and novel idea, but I just plain don't like it.

chirinea (47507) on 1/20/2020 12:42 AM · Permalink · Report

The first game I beat this year was Half-Life. I remember playing only the opening sequence back in the day. The game is cool, but it shows its age. The storytelling is alright, but nothing new nowadays. The gameplay is great in the first levels, but is really bad in the last ones.

I started Shenmue II in the end of last year, but I put it on hold, so I guess I'll get back to it. I'm also looking forward to starting The Witcher 3, which I bought during the Steam winter sale.

chirinea (47507) on 1/21/2020 10:49 PM · Permalink · Report

Hey guys, since Valve has made every Half-Life game free-to-play until April, I think I'll keep playing the series, so what do you recommend: should I play Opposing Force and Blue Shift before Half Life 2 or should I skip directly to it and then go back to those expansions?

Rwolf (23136) on 1/22/2020 1:16 AM · Permalink · Report

IMO The Halflife 1 addons were very similar to the base game, but gave you some alternate viewpoints. If you still like the original games graphics, the addons are acceptable, and also shorter.

After playing Halflife 2, you might find the original a bit clunky, so it might be harder to go back. It all depends on how much time you have to spend.

HL2 is long enough, and does not depend on the two earlier HL1 addons; but the series has not finished completely (yet), so it still leaves some open ends.

MAT (240988) on 1/27/2020 5:15 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

Blue Shift and Opposing Force are great games... liked them more then Half-Life, especially because they happen in the same timeline, but in Opposing Force you're one of the soldiers you fight in Half-Life, and in Blue Shift you're one of the guards that aid you in Half-Life.

It's been decades, but I think in some you may even see Morgan, if even for a bit. Note that you won't be replaying levels from original Half-Life... the story will take you different ways. Opposing Force even has a different huge final boss battle.

If you want to complete the picture, play them first. If you're tired of old graphics, then disregard them and go straight to Half-Life 2... I never really got that game myself... played it a bit, but I remember wanting it so much and was hyped about it but by the time it came out I lost interest in it an never got to experience it in full :P

I find myself in similar predicament quite often. Wanting to play some new game, then realising it's a sequel, and then pausing it until I catch up on the story from many older games... like wanting to play Divinity II, then realising there are 5 games before it need to start with some game from 1998 first, lol!!

chirinea (47507) on 1/27/2020 7:02 PM · Permalink · Report

I ended up playing Opposing Force and Blue Shift, and I'm really glad I did it. I think they are better than the original in some aspects, I like it how they've invested a bit more in "puzzle solving".

I've started playing Half-Life 2, I'm 2 hours into it and so far I'm enjoying the "non-stop chase" feel.

vedder (71102) on 1/21/2020 10:25 PM · Permalink · Report

Inside - Finished another great short game. Didn't like the "if you do the wrong thing you instantly die" mechanics much. They weren't fun back then for games like Flashback and Another World, and they still aren't this day. They mostly felt relatively fair though and save points were always just seconds away which made it completely tolerable. The thinking puzzles are nice. Not very difficult, but never frustrating and making you think every now and then. Great audio and visuals (particularly loved all the little animations for the NPCs) and very polished execution. Liked the ending very much as it managed to be very refreshing while reusing earlier content and mechanics.

MediaCult (190) on 1/25/2020 4:06 PM · Permalink · Report

The Elder Scrolls Online: This will never end, but it keeps being good, and I enjoy the community being mainly 30+ (as far as I can tell).

Tales of the World: Radiant Mythology (PSP): Somewhat repetitive bashing, near the end boss at 30+ hours. OK fun.

Patrick Bregger (303228) on 2/1/2020 8:32 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

Dragon Quest XI: I abandoned this one after about eight hours because it is just boring. I love the art and especially the enemies and the combat system is standard OK and the boring overworld and bad dungeons are something I can live with. But the writing does not work at all for me because the dialogue (especially the unvoiced) is completely uninteresting and the silent protagonist does not fit. Normally discovering a new town should be the highlight of playing a JRPG, but here I just sigh. I have to admit that I played it during a nasty cold, but I doubt I would have liked it much better without.

Octopath Traveler: The combat system is very interesting and I like the basic structure: at least in chapter 1 one city and its dungeons takes about 1,5 hours which makes a nice session length. I also enjoyed the random combat because it has been a while and the frequency is very well balanced. Unfortunately it has a very big flaw: the writing sucks, the characters are uninteresting and those special abilities (stealing, interrogate town people, etc.) get old very fast. I am not categorically opposed to playing this further, but at this time it is not what I am searching for.

Tokyo Xanadu ex+: It has a very Cold Steel feel to it. Why? Because it recycles about 80% of its assets and just adds a modern setting and action combat. Even the characters look similar, the protagonist is a barely changed Rean and Towa is even officially in the game. The parts between dungeons are pretty much 1:1 the free days from Cold Steel.

Nevertheless, the game disappointed me. The best part is combat which is fluid, fast and fun. But, I see a pattern in this post, the writing ruins it. The plot and the characters do not work for me. In the Trails games I am interested even in the smallest NPC on the road, here I don't even care about the main characters. In the Crossbell games I enjoyed the tour through the city even after 80 hours, here I got sick of it in chapter 3. In Cold Steel I have a very hard time to choose where to use my precious bonding points, but here I don't care because no one says anything interesting anyway. I decided to stop during chapter 4.

In conclusion, I fear the Trails series ruined JRPGs for me.

vedder (71102) on 2/11/2020 2:36 PM · Permalink · Report

Playing Europa Universalis IV. Convenient to pause at any time using spacebar when you have a baby to keep an eye on.

vedder (71102) on 3/18/2020 7:40 PM · Permalink · Report

Finally finished my game of EU IV. I started out as Muscovy, to later form Russia. Tried to carve a large empire out of the Old World while learning the game. Eastwards conquered all the way to Mongolia, Kamchatka and Manchuria, split Korea with Japan. Southward conquered Northern China, allowing Great Britain to take the south and Delhi to take the south-west. Parts of Kahzakstan remain in the hands of the Transoxiana khanate but did make Samarkand part of Russia. The caucasus remained a natural border fending of the Timurids which never went away. The Otoman empire I destroyed and split with my faithfull ally the Mamluks our eventual mutual border being halfway Turkey. Constantinople became my new capital after it had shifted to St. Petersberg. Greece was conquered except for Crete. The Balkans and Eastern Europe were conquered except for modern day Montenegro, Bosnia and Hungary which were left for my Hungarian ally. Everything north of that towards the Baltic is owned by Bohemia who is my junior partner in a personal union. Baltic states: mine. Scandinavian Peninsula: mine. Germany from Berlin to Cologne: mine. Most of Italy and Austria: Mine, with Rome one of the last places I conquered. Two vassal states in southern Germany. Sizable overseas territories in Northern Africa, Oman and Indonesia. Many European states have been exiled to their African colonies. There's a large Tuscan nation in what used to be Mali and Songhai. Utrecht lies in Ghana/Cote d'Ivore. The Papal State in Nigeria. Bremen and Cologne can also be found having a second life in Africa. Aragon and Portugal divided the Iberian peninsula and Spain never happened. Portugal and Great Britain divided the New World in two. France was crushed early and lived a quite and uneventful life along the riviera. The Mamluks colonized all of Australia and New Zealand and most of Indonesia, the Philippines, Oceania, Malaysia and Thailand. Austria was decimated by various smaller European states and at some point their capital and sole remaining territory was Amsterdam. The Chinese states never managed to form an Empire and instead the Khanate of Yarkand took the title of Emperor of China. I vasalized them before annexing them into the Russian empire.

Enough of playing Empire for now. Next up is playing against an Empire in Jedi: Fallen Order.

The Fabulous King (1332) on 2/14/2020 3:38 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

Ken Follett's Pillars of the Earth

Holy sh..!! I think this is the best story I've ever encountered in games. Seriously, this is what mature actually looks like.

Daedalic has won a new fan.

Patrick Bregger (303228) on 2/14/2020 6:58 PM · Permalink · Report

It's an adaption of a novel, just saying.

The Fabulous King (1332) on 2/18/2020 1:33 PM · Permalink · Report

Godfather is also an adaption of a novel. Just saying. :)

Patrick Bregger (303228) on 2/22/2020 10:16 AM · edited · Permalink · Report

Assassin's Creed: Odyssey - it lost me after 10 hours. It is well polished, the environment is great, but I always had the feeling I played it already ten times. It has been two years since Origin, but I am still too full of AC.

Dr. Cares: Pet Rescue 911 - Unfortunately this was the worst time management game from Gamehouse I played so far. The story is not very interesting (it takes it time up to the the second-to last chapter before anything of significance happens), the mini games are obviously designed for mobile and are badly converted to mouse controls and the game is way too easy, even on the highest difficulty level.

Afterwards I remembered I got a free three-month subscription to the Xbox Game Pass (PC), so I decided to try some games out.

Forza Horizon 4 - It looks fantastic and is very fun, but the missing progression is lame. For what reason would I need a thousand different cars when I can use every one in every race anyway? When I play a racing game I'd like to progress from weak cars to sports cars over time and not win a super car on the stupid wheel of fortune after ten minutes.

The Outer Worlds - As you know, I am a huge Obisidian fanboy. But this game is just plain bad. The world is lifeless, the plot is boring, the dialogue is awful, the UI is a trainwreck (they even managed to have worse inventory management than vanilla Skyrim), the loot is uninteresting, there are too many useless consumables, most game systems become useless after the first ten minutes and the weight limit is the icing on the shit cake. Bah, 15 hours of my life wasted.

Ori and the Blind Forest - This is a very good game and one of the very few which manage to have an intro with emotional impact. The graphics and controls work also very well. My points of critic would be that it feels like a linear platformer where some metroidvania elements were tacked on in the end and it became too hard for me. The platforming was OK, but I had a lot of problems with the enemies which take too much hammering on the attack button to die. And I already leveled the standard attack up through the unnecessary RPG system! I managed to clear the forest.

Wolfenstein II - I loved the predecessor but quickly abandoned Old Blood. Wolfenstein II is well made (I love the satisfying stealth takedown!), but somehow this particular gameplay/story mix did only work for me once.

Halo: Reach - I liked the first level because there were some cool fights which managed to create a big battle atmosphere without the usual Call-of-Duty-Respawns. But the second mission lost me completely: the AI follower is stupid, the car controls are awful, the AI drives like drunk when I use the car cannon, I never have enough ammo (this may be just my fault, though) and the level design is boring. After I had to fight two enemies which can kill me with one shot but eat roughly guessed one billion shots, I quit. I have the feeling Halo and I will never become friends.

West of Loathing - I love the humor, but the gameplay is mediocre. The UI is bad (no quest log, bad inventory, etc.) and the locations all have one or two very funny ideas, but in the end you just use an item (or leave it for later because you don't have the item yet) or fight combats which are either too easy (but still too long) or impossible (one-shot kills by the enemy), but nothing in between. I'm on the fence if I should continue or not.

Last, but not least, my favorite in today's list: Celeste - this game is just a design bomb. You only have a few moves, but the level design manages to frequently use those in new and interesting ways. Celeste is not an easy game, but because you can almost instantly repeat the challenge (and the challenges itself are mostly pretty short) it never bugged me. Celeste is not a short game, but it never becomes boring. Personally I thought the main path (if you don't obsess over every strawberry) was easier than Ori. The story is a bit overrated, but it does not interrupt the game too often.

Cavalary (11447) on 2/25/2020 2:55 AM · edited · Permalink · Report

Grabbed Ascension to the Throne when it was free on Indiegala and finished it this evening. Actually last night had a first go, thinking it wouldn't really be the end there and finding that it actually was, as it's a series of 4 chained battles, location changing (no explanation why given in the game itself) after first. Died in the last battle then, and instead of reloading the autosave before it I just reloaded the proper save from before all four today and won. But then wanted to get the best character and army too, so reloaded again, went all around Airath to open chests and use altars, since I had delayed (rewards scale with level, so get any as late as you can), then back to Oganthar and Annaroth to get myself a kickass army, then back there for another run just out of curiosity. Complete joke, this last run, one round to wipe the first two enemy armies, they didn't even get to attack, messed up a bit in 3rd and had to delay a bit to resurrect some units I lost, then killed the boss before it got a move in final battle and then could easily deal with the other units and keep a last one around to resurrect the few I lost, just to have no losses.

There will be a review, and I have a wall of text of notes, so not dumping that here now, will try to write some more clearly... Half of it is about bugs though, and there are quite a few. None game breaking if you're a bit careful (clicking through dialogs quickly can have odd effects for one, stuff that should happen at the end of the dialog may not, and that may break stuff, so if you see stuff being listed on screen, such as rewards, unit changes or what not, wait for the text to go away), but there were plenty of crashes at the start of battles, mainly chained battles and even more so if you level between them, and in one particular case I needed to reload the autosave made before the last battle in a series, kept trying and it kept crashing at the start of it otherwise. Nice that it makes those autosaves before each battle though.

About the game itself, starts hard, have to search for fights you can survive and figure out how, but it gets much easier after a bit, and after you can get a conqueror, who has the scapegoat spell way before you can learn it yourself, things start to be a joke. Only exception are very fast enemies, even more so ranged ones, or the few battles on very small areas, where you can't stay out of range. The AI can be tricked though, and quite easily, as otherwise there would be a few battles that'd be nearly unwinnable (small arenas and very fast toughies, or very fast units with long range in front row), seeing that when the hero dies, it's game over. But yeah, even a single conqueror will turn the tide. Conqueror in top-front slot, any speed ring, armor spell and high spell power on hero = only offensive spellcasters can do any damage anymore. There will be plenty of them later on though, but there are protection spells (albeit for each element, not generic) and ways around. You WILL need to trick the AI on those sometimes though, because if they'll gang up on hero, you're toast. But by the time you'll need to deal with many of them, tricking them will be second nature.

Otherwise, kinda liked how units are individual, not stacks, each has its position and it's a matter of how many can hit enemies in case of melee ones. A problem there is that you can't choose positioning or spread of attacks, at most a single destination or attack hex, other positions or attacks being determined automatically (though you can see how attacks will spread before clicking - not positioning though). And also about this, felt odd that armor applies to total, not to each attack.

Oganthar is quite large and got more attention, Annaroth seems quite rushed, Airath even more so. But feels like you can't really explore, full of invisible walls, no jumping whatsoever and so on. And there seem to be things included for Valkyrie, like rings or one altar you can't use since they're for an archer and you're not (Eneya does get one ring you find in a chest, but that's the only thing). And speaking of things, no shop interface, no way to sell things (bar one armor), and each shop only has one or two things, which you check out in a regular dialog menu, getting a description of the effects.

Still, not bad overall. Shows a lack of resources, but they tried to do something there, and it is quite a power trip once you advance a bit and nearly everything becomes easy. But plenty of battles remain nice enough, and there are plenty of varied units.

Tracy Poff (2095) on 2/25/2020 3:32 AM · Permalink · Report

I finally beat Kirby's Epic Yarn a few days ago (after a few months on this save, and quite some years since I first played it). It's fun, but I've been playing it in co-op and it just doesn't seem very well designed for co-op. There are things like autoscrollers with moving platforms or vertical drops that require both players to be closely synchronized. There's nothing wrong with making players work a little, but the game is easy enough overall that just being in co-op becomes the largest challenge in the game, unless you just want to have one player literally carry the other through levels.

vedder (71102) on 3/28/2020 8:26 PM · Permalink · Report

Was playing and enjoying Jedi: Fallen Order, but I'm playing Half-Life: Alyx as an intermezzo. The benefit of having my work PC at home due to the quarantines is that I have a VR capable PC and both a Rift-S and a Quest.

Jedi: I like it, but I'm not sure it will be remembered a couple years from now. Combat feels a bit unpolished having recently played Spider-Man on the PS4. The metroidvania aspect is nice, but perhaps a bit too much by the book. Could've used a bit more innovation in that area. The whole Star Wars sauce makes up for all of it. Still, so far the game felt very varied and even if it had been generic sci-fi I'm sure I would've enjoyed it. Was also impressed with the interplanetary travel witouth loading screens. Sure Elite II did it, but looking so much better now. My PC does have a rough time keeping up with the framerate though. (Guess I could play it on my work PC instead...)

Alyx: Feels very much like a half-life game. There's a lot to love, there's also quite a bit that feels slightly unpolished. It suffers from all the common VR quirks. Due to having worked in VR game dev for the last couple years I'm quite immune to motion sickness (as long as the framerate is at least 72 fps). Which allows me to play using stick motion. This does give me the impression the game was designed with teleportation in mind. Stuff like jumping and mantling is just awkward. Being VR the game is a lot slower, and by extend much different from earlier games (especially HL1) and this is further emphasized by things like contrived reload mechanics (which is great, don't get me wrong). What it does great is how like in earlier HL games every level feels completely different. From spooky dark areas with barnacles and zombies to shootouts in the street with combine or more puzzle-like environments or just environmental story-telling. This is the kind of game with lots of single player content that VR has been lacking.

vedder (71102) on 5/11/2020 8:35 PM · Permalink · Report

My feelings about Jedi turned around and in the end I thoroughly enjoyed it. The story was surprisingly solid and well told, though a very cliché typical Star Wars story.

I tried Horace which was free on Epic Game Store a while back. I didn't really expect to like it, but was hoping to be surprised. I dreaded every second I wasted on it. There was nothing there that appealed to me.

Played a bit of World of Tanks with colleagues. I can see the appeal, especially since it's free to play, but I don't see myself playing that more often.

Played a bit of Call of Duty: Warzone with friends. Might play it again, but I don't think I can invest the time in it to become somewhat half decent. I also hate that the game maps an action to pretty much every button on the keyboard.

Started on XCOM: Chimera Squad. Certainly enjoyable, but the verdict is still out as to how it compares with the previous two games. I feel a lot more in control of the situation compared to the earlier games, which makes the tension a bit less, but perhaps that's because I have two games of experience by now...

vedder (71102) on 6/20/2020 11:15 AM · Permalink · Report

Finished XCOM: Chimera Squad. It's great, but a bit buggy (some stuff was patched a couple days after I encountered it). I probably should've played it at a higher difficulty level to have a bit more thrill. Now it was a bit too easy for me. Not as memorable as the earlier two XCOM games, but still miles ahead of the competition.

Patrick Bregger (303228) on 3/30/2020 6:16 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

Yesterday I finished Yu-No: A girl who chants love at the bound of this world (2019 remake) and I need to talk about it. The prologue is one of the worst pieces of writing I have ever encountered in videogame form, but that's normal. I hated the first seven hours of Steins;Gate, too, before it grew on me. No, I want to start with the middle part which has the biggest reason to continue: I am triggered by flowcharts. And a great flowchart it has. It was very satisfying to visit the different paths and uncover the intriguing and complex mystery. The writing does become a bit better, the translation has many problems (for example a lot of false gender pronouns) and it is much too long, but I liked the story enough to continue.

The game was originally an eroge, but the remake cuts out all sex scenes. However, there is still a lot of talk about sex and naked ladies, just without nipples. Unfortunately, I have to add, because it feels tacked on. The sex scenes were obviously unnecessary - I did not miss them at all - and in fact I wished they cut most of the sex stuff. Then the game would probably be nice 30 hours instead of unbearable 60. I also looked at a longplay of the original and thought the old graphics were much better; the new ones have a very generic anime style.

The game mechanics follow the usual (bad, I need to add) style of Japanese Adventures, just with hot spots except menus. But you still need to exhaust sometimes random hot spots and read the stupid thoughts of a stupid protagonist. There are also too many hot spots in most scenes. However, the worst part is that you need to visit all available areas in order to find the next event trigger. Thankfully the remake adds a help function, but this is nevertheless a bad mechanic.

The Epilogue (Spoiler!)
After the relatively (for a JA) freeform middle parts comes a long (about 10-12 hours) and linear epilogue. And it is bad. Very bad. First there happens absolutely nothing for a few hours and then it concludes with two gigantic infodump scenes (ca. 40 and 20 minutes) which feed the player all the lore and the conclusion of the story. But here the sex becomes the worst: the epilogue is full of useless scenes which are only there so the protagonist can fuck a few more woman. Including his daughter. I repeat, his daughter - without the stepchild excuse of the middle part. Yes, the remake cuts out two sentences which makes it explicit, but come on, were are not stupid - it is still obvious. And this happens a few weeks or a year (the translation can't get its act together on this front) after which wife was brutally murdered by religious fanatics.

In this part the games also opens up too many new themes which it never concludes. I did not care at all about the new characters and all the dramatic stuff in the end did not touch me at all. The only positive thing I can say about the epilogue is that I like the new graphics more than in the original. I think that's because it goes more into a fantasy direction and the old graphics show too many unmotivated naked breasts.

Conclusion
I can't recommend this game to no one. It is historically an important step for the Japanese Adventure/Visual Novel genre, but it did disappoint me too often. I liked the middle part well enough - the flowchart is great and I like parallel world stories - but the epilogue ruined everything for me.

Patrick Bregger (303228) on 6/15/2020 8:57 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

I neglected my Journal duties in the last months (sorry!), so only the quick version:

Desperados: My favorite Commandos variant from back in the day. I only wanted to play a few missions to refresh my memory, but in the end I played half of the game.

Steins;Gate 0: I really liked this VN. In contrast to most others VN, the beginning did not suck! Unfortunately I thought the big twist was too foreseeable.

Indivisible: Not bad, has a unique combat system. Unfortunately I become too old and bad for reaction tests like this.

Battle Chasers: Nightwar: fantastic combat system, but the whole scenario does not interest me at all.

Gears of War: Ultimate Edition: I can't remember the last time I played something so dumb and boring.

Gris: Very enjoyable visuals and sound, gameplay is OK at best.

Murder by Numbers: Very enjoyable puzzle game with a nice story. I had to take a longer break in the middle, but I finished it.

Amber's Airline: High Hopes: OK hidden object game, but one of Gamehouse's lesser. I could not finish it because of savegame loss a few levels before the end.

Ni No Kuni II: I loved the beginning, but it became too grindy and uninteresting after 30 hours. The whole kingdom stuff is neat in concept, but those browser game mechanics sucks.

Lovekami: Divinity Stage: The writing was pretty OK (not many redundancies) for a Japanese visual novel, but the plot is boring and the constant innuendo was not appreciated so shortly after Yu-No. Played about 1,5 hours.

Pac-Man: Championship Edition 2: I loved the predecessor, but this one did not manage to hold my attention.

The Turing Test: The first game of this kind after Portal 2 (OK, maybe except Talos Principle) which made me happy. I liked the conversations and the puzzle mechanic was interesting, not too complicated and well balanced.

11-11: Memories Retold: Good idea, but the execution is very flawed. I stopped playing after the story drifted off and became too esoteric for my taste.

Purrfect Date: The first impression was good, but the whole romantic stuff is not interesting enough and important VN features (auto-play, skip) are missing.

Aviary Attorney (finished): I loved the first three chapters: awesome graphics and good writing. The fourth chapter (respectively the three variants) was a letdown.

Final Fantasy VII (PC) stopped after 15 hours, the story became a bit meh after Midgard and the mini games suck.

That was March to mid-May (except for Yu-No, I ranted about that already), I hope I did not miss anything. Afterwards I decided to start a big project I wanted to do for a long time. More on that in a later post.

Patrick Bregger (303228) on 6/25/2020 4:12 PM · Permalink · Report

As teased in my previous post, I am currently on a quest. The quest to replay all games of my previous favorite game studio BioWare. However, since my goal is specifically the re part of replay, I will skip a few games: Shattered Steel, MDK 2, Sonic, some free-to-play crap and Anthem.

I already finished the Baldur's Gate trilogy (still fantastic) and the Neverwinter Nights Original Campaign. That one was a bit surprising because I did not hate it this time. It is a bit of a slog and those thousand containers with no interesting loot are awful, but I had some fun. Currently I am playing Shadows of Undrentide.

Patrick Bregger (303228) on 7/17/2020 10:19 AM · edited · Permalink · Report

Neverwinter Nights: Shadows of Undrentide - much better than the OC

Neverwinter Nights: Hordes of the Underdark - Chapter 2 is the best official campaign ever released for NWN, but I really did not like the puzzles in chapter 3

Neverwinter Nights: ShadowGuard - short and incomplete, but works well.

Neverwinter Nights: Witch's Wake - pretentious writing, bad game mechanics, awful map design, stops right in the middle of a conversation, sucks

Neverwinter Nights: Kingmaker - very well made

Neverwinter Nights: Pirates of the Sword Coast - too little pirating, very linear, some of the innovations did not work well for me

Neverwinter Nights: Wyvern Crown of Cormyr - I hated this right from the beginning, the jousting mini game is idiotic, only played for two hours or so

Neverwinter Nights: Darkness over Daggerford - the best commercial campaign released for NWN. Never reaches the heights of chapter 2 HoU, but is very consistent. It has a world map and exploration feels a lot like BG1.

Neverwinter Nights: Tyrants of the Moonsea - I stopped after about 10 hours because it is a bit boring, many maps are too big with too little content. Afterwards I learned this is actually part 3 of a bigger campaign and the previous entries were mods. If I ever have NWN fever again, maybe I'll give the whole campaign a new try.

Neverwinter Nights: Dark Dreams of Furiae - wants to be Planescape: Torment very badly, but I started to skip the dialogue after half a hour. The map design is bad. I could only stomach it for 45 minutes.

Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic - time was not kind to this game and it has a lot of problems (too much boring walking around, awful UI, uninteresting loot, too simple good/evil-system) and I am firmly in the Kotor 2 fancamp, but it is still very good.

Cavalary (11447) on 7/17/2020 12:50 PM · Permalink · Report

Heh.

Me: No idea when I played SoU, 2009, maybe 2010, but obviously still took me a while. HoU, started at least in 2010, if not in 2009, finished on August 25, 2016. Then started Kingmaker after that, in late August or early September 2016, finished it on Jan 8 this year. Then Shadowguard played between Jan 8 and Mar 19. Yet to start Witch's Wake. (Don't have the others.)

You: June 25, currently playing SoU. July 17, finished SoU, HotU, SG, WW, KM, PotSC, DoD, poked at WCoC, TotM, DDoF, and also played KotOR1

:))

Patrick Bregger (303228) on 8/2/2020 8:35 PM · Permalink · Report

In the meantime I finished Jade Empire (I love the scenario and liked the combat more than in previous playthroughs thanks to my gamepad, but the dialogue was tiring at times) and Mass Effect (the dialogue and especially the ending is fantastic, but the combat is boring and all side content awful. The recycled levels are worse than in Dragon Age II.)

Patrick Bregger (303228) on 10/2/2020 4:25 PM · Permalink · Report

Dragon Age: Origins: I still love this game. This was my first playthrough as a rogue which was a lot of fun. I only disliked the fetch quests from the boards. Oh, and of course the awful Golems of Amgarrak DLC.

Mass Effect 2: It is almost unbelievable how much better this is than the first. The plot is very thin, but I like the characters and the simplified RPG system. Even the planet scanning wasn't too bad if you know how much resources are required.

Star Wars: The Old Republic: I also played the Jedi-Knight-story and all add-ons of this MMORPG (but I played it as single-player game). The main game was fun, the story was very motivating and even the more repetitive side-quests had charme. The first two and the last DLC were not especially noteworthy, but I really have to talk about Knights of the Fallen Empire:

I was really surprised, I did not think BioWare would release Star Wars: The Telltale series within their MMORPG. The main part of the game were loooong cutscenes with many decisions (which, in my judgement, have probably 0,0% consequences) and linear gameplay sequences. This would be fine by me if the writing was not awful and the level and encounter design was not boring.

The successor DLC Knights of the Eternal Throne on the other hand manages to make the same structure work (mostly because it is much shorter and has less filler content) and even redeemed the stupid story. But then comes the second part which is again more like a traditional MMO quest chain. The plot is the most idiotic and unbelievable work of fiction I have endured in a long time and the mission design is atrocious.

The Fabulous King (1332) on 6/20/2020 11:00 AM · Permalink · Report

I'm playing Pillars of Eternity for the first time.

I was happy when Obsidian had the successful Kickstarter, but their games weren't on my radar then. I even played Tyranny before this.

So. At first I was like, yeah this is cute. A loving tribute to Baldur's Gate. Yeah, it's nice.

Now I am like... this game is good, very very good. I did not expect this.

I really dig the heavy theological angle of their worldbuilding. People take their metaphysical ideas seriously in this world. And it's written in a smart way. Like the writer really understand why people are religious. I find the conversations intellectually interesting. Consider me positively surprised.

Also. Endless Paths. I was skeptical. Come on! 15 levels? Really? I am now impressed. This dungeon is a lovingly crafted masterpiece, almost a game on it's own.

vedder (71102) on 6/20/2020 11:21 AM · edited · Permalink · Report

Finished Brothers: A Tale of Two sons. Short and sweet. Controlling two characters was a bit annoying to get used to and you have them stumble around a lot, but luckily this is never punished in any way. There's some very cliché fantasy stuff in the story, but parts are also really good. The visual story telling in the battlefield of giant warriors is one of the most memorable environments I ever encountered in a game!

Now playing Unchartered 4. Figured it was overdue. So far it exceeds my expectations. I expected it to be on par with 2 and 3, but this far exceeds the quality of those games, not just visually, but particularly in story telling and so far the greatest part of the game: driving around to explore the bush of Madagascar.

Edit: just remembered I also tried Symmetry. Another game received for free. Incredibly tedious game, that was quickly uninstalled. Being a fan of similarly themed Frostpunk I expected more from it. Visually nice, but it has nothing else going for it.

Jack Parkin on 6/30/2020 11:49 AM · Permalink · Report

Thanks, I will be sure to try these games.

The Fabulous King (1332) on 7/7/2020 8:45 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

Pillars of Eternity 60 hours later...

So I finished act II, Endless Paths and White March I + plus all the sidequests until now.

Yeah, my feelings are definitely more mixed now.

What I like about PoE is how it has forced me to take stats and combat mechanics seriously. I am actually using enchanting and crafting actively.

In Tyranny I never had to. There you had so many ways to become powerful that you didn't really need to pay attention. But in PoE I do have to. A fight can suddenly become tricky because of a mistake. PoE is definitely much more challenging than I expected. And I like that.

PoE is also lot longer than Tyranny. I think Tyranny was about 25-30 hours. In PoE I still have act III and White March II to do after twice as many hours. PoE is kind of a game I don't really have time to play anymore.

So where do my mixed feelings come from?

Act I was so well done that. The Maerweld scene was Obsidian at it's best. But act II didn't deliver scenes of equal intensity/quality. I think the mystery of the Hollowborn was solved too soon. Also, I thought that you would have more interactions with your companions, but you don't really.

And White March.. I'm not sure what I yet think about it. I enjoyed it yes, but... it does break the flow a bit. And while some moments reflected the larger theme of the game, I wish it would have gone more in-depth into them. Devil of Caroc for example. Her introduction and backstory is some pretty cool storytelling.... and was that it? Killed the guy and that's all?

Cavalary (11447) on 7/14/2020 2:03 AM · Permalink · Report

Finally got around to starting Lionheart in March and finished it yesterday (or 2 days ago, since it's almost 5 AM here now). The timer on the last save, made at the start of the final battle, was 4 d 23:39, so add the duration of the battle and the ending cutscene and I'm thinking I got to a full 120h during the credits. But it seems it does actually count the actual time spent playing, so if you reload it doesn't restart from the time of that save, in which case it's quite possible I got to 120h while playing, since I finished that final battle on the 4th try, after finally figuring out how to keep the Lightning WarGolem alive (er, not destroyed?) too, not wanting to let anyone I had taken with me that far bite it.

Now I have a list of notes that I just checked and has 977 words. Will make for another huge review if I will turn it into one, but depends. Tend to say I'll try to review any game I finish that has less than 3 reviews on here and generally won't bother with those that have more than 3 (unless those that exist are really bad I guess), but this has exactly 3, so... Let's see if I'll get myself to do it.

Very short version, not fond of SPECIAL, and a system requiring you to know exactly what you'll want to do with your character from creation and overspecialize is even trickier, but at least there's no level cap (I finished at 53, just hit 52 with the exp received at the start of the final battle, so got another free level by using Here and Now then, since I hadn't taken my level 50 feat, seeing as at 53 I got another feat). And the real time combat is poorly implemented, not being RTwP and enemies being so fast, and companions are really just tacked on, often more frustrating than anything else. But a pretty nice job with the setting, at least halfway through, and the Montaillou Crypt is a nice, complex dungeon. Plenty of nuisances otherwise though, in every way, and rather took issue with the Inquisition and the Spanish as led by them portrayed as after all the good guys (albeit... overzealous) and the implication of Druids/Pagans as evil (and going on a build maxing Divine Fortitude and Smite would have made Inquisition as the choice of guild for my char too, but no way, Wielders no matter what!). Other than that, yes, it does get tedious after a point, and the desert is just lazy design, and being sandwiched between two dungeons that are so and so, it'd have needed to be refreshing instead... Still, a decent enough game, with a pretty good first part and a second part that's serviceable, if at times overstaying its welcome.

vedder (71102) on 7/16/2020 8:54 PM · Permalink · Report

Playing DiRT Rally. Felt like playing a racing game, and this has been sitting in my backlog for ages, because I don't have a steering wheel. Figured I'd just give it a try with a controller and buy one if it was really gripping me.

I do really like it, but so far racing with the controller was actually OK. Not as immersive of course and I miss some force feedback but it'll suffice for now.

The real question remains on whether it can dethrone Richard Burns Rally as my favourite racing sim game. The verdict is still out, but it's a contender.

vedder (71102) on 9/1/2020 8:06 PM · Permalink · Report

Trying to clear some short games I got for free from various sources (mostly Epic's giveaways):

Overland - It's nice, but after my initial play session I wasn't really enticed to pick it up again. Would rather reinstall any of the last 3 XCOMs.

Frog Fractions - Hadn't actually played it yet. It's unique and fascinating, and a worthwhile experience, but I wouldn't call it fun.

Kamile: The Fall - The only likeable thing here is the Deus Ex inspired music.

Vader Immortal: Episode II and III - The first episode was alright, but this series gets worse with each episode. It's like the budgets kept dropping.

A Short Hike - Didn't expect it, but I liked this a lot! Another great example of how there's absolutely no reason so many games focus on combat if you can have an amazing Zelda-like experience without any combat.

Aer: Memories of Old - A game that's all about exploration should be totally my thing, but pretty much everything in this game annoyed me so I only played for a little while. The controls just feel off, the camera behaves badly, the animations make me cringe. The rest of the art is nice though. The music is OK, but it appears to repeat at the start everytime you transform to your flying form.

The one game I did pay for that I'm playing is Fall Guys. It's not as great as the online hype makes it appear, but it's definitely enjoyable and I'm curious as to what new seasons will bring. It's also a game my wife enjoys so that's a big bonus.

vedder (71102) on 9/5/2020 11:40 AM · Permalink · Report

Super Crate Box - Not my thing and constantly crashed for me.

Mutant Year Zero: Road to Eden - So far enjoying it. It borrows a lot of mechanics from XCOM, especially the good things: clear cut choices with simple numbers. It adds some layers above like real-time exploration which is nice and a more traditional RPG character upgrade path and item upgrades (although XCOM: Chimera Squad also had this). Difficulty seems to be quite high.

vedder (71102) on 9/24/2020 8:30 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

Carcassonne - Epic freebee, but it's just the base game without the expansions. I like the boardgame and this is a solid adaptation with pleasant visuals and some nice optional visual and tactical aids. I like the addition of hatching fields in the colour of the current owner, and the option to show which spots have no more valid tiles. The AI also seems solid, with some different presets. In the end I enjoy it more playing around a physical table with friends or family and don't feel inclined in buying the (good) expansions again just to play it on my PC.

20XX - Another Epic freebee. Appears to be a solid Meg Man clone, but I never really was into Mega Man. Just isn't really my jam.

Ape Out - Really fun for about 30 minutes, but then the novelty wore off for me. Finished the first two discs, but couldn't really be bothered with the third. The new elements introduced so far don't really change the game enough to stay interesting. Love the Jazz music that reacts to everything you do, it fits the game really well.

Gris - Amazing! The music and visuals in this game are fantastic. I don't mind short games, but I felt sad it ended so quickly. I felt it didn't exhaust its mechanics yet and could've done with one or two more levels. I'm a big fan of platforming games without violence so this is another great example of that. There were some "cutscenes" which I think would've benefited from being more interactive. And if there was a story it was trying to convey, it was completely lost to me. But all these negatives are moot cause it's just a great game to play.

A Mortician's Tale - Not my thing at all. Just as I was about to stop from sheer boredom the game ended though. So props for making the game exactly the right length :P

Among Us - Played with some colleagues. Fun party game inspired by Werewolves. Probably only fun if you play with a big group of friends though.

vedder (71102) on 10/4/2020 6:02 PM · Permalink · Report

Where the Water Tastes Like Wine - Interesting concept, but executed in a way where everything felt tedious.

Signs of the Sojourner - Interesting concept, but I felt the card game mechanic was weak compared to other card games and the outcome of "battles" often felt inconsequential.The game did feel nicely polished and exploring the map and choosing routes was nice.

Endless Legend - this game had been on my to-play list for a long time. Now that I'm finally playing it I can't help but feel disappointed. Comparing this to Civilization, just makes me want to play Civilization instead. The audio is great and the graphical style is in my opinion nicer than Civilization V, but it feels like most of the added mechanics just add cruft Civilization didn't need. There are a ton of units, but they all have a ton of incomparable stats so unlike Civilization's clear attack/defend/ranged choices this feels just like random pickings. It's even worse for your heroes which have huge skill trees and dozens of items they can equip and un-equip with a million different icons. The tactical battles playing out on the actual map is cool, but the few I actually played out were tedious with my constantly running after enemies. Then I went to auto-resolving and the results were very unpredictable and unrealistic (really not a single enemy damaged by my 9 units?). The quests appear at first to be a good method of creating more focus and short term goals, but they are hard to keep track of, and are very random in nature, often taking a long time to complete for inconsequential rewards. Turns out that Civilization already had more than enough short term goals with building units, wonders, improvements, founding cities, discovering ruins, winning battles, conquering cities, researching things, converting, etc, etc. It's not a bad game and the Civilization basics and some of the changes they did to it are nice (I like how diplomacy is just a resource here, and the regions with villages that can be pacified is interesting, also changing weather making certain turns harder for some), but it feels like they just added way too many mechanics on top of the Civilization formula, just for the sake of it. Very few of the mechanics are actually very fun to play with and they should've considered stripping down some of the existing mechanics. How about removing the tech tree and gaining tech through the quest system? That'll make me invested in pursuing certain quests, but ignoring others. 30 dust which a single city also outputs each turn, not so much.

Drawception - been playing a ton of it lately. It's fun and has nice short sessions which is perfect for life with a baby and toddler.

cheberachko viktor on 9/29/2020 1:08 PM · Permalink · Report

I like it how they've invested a bit more in "puzzle solving".

Cavalary (11447) on 10/20/2020 12:34 AM · edited · Permalink · Report

Finished Grim Fandango Remastered Saturday. When I started it, it was meant as another adventure that was a freebie that I hoped to get through relatively quickly and give myself a fighting chance of finishing a couple more games this year... And it took me four months to finish. (Admittedly, started a month before finishing Lionheart, so didn't touch it much during that time.) But at least I managed to avoid having the review get away from me again and kept it to a smaller size :))

vedder (71102) on 11/30/2020 10:09 PM · Permalink · Report

The Witcher 3 - Four years after release I finally found/made the time to spend on this massive game. I'm nearing the end of the main quest now I think (about 70 hours in). I did a fair bit of the side quests but have left the more generic stuff like contracts mostly untouched. I'm a bit conflicted about the game. I'd definitely say it's overrated, but of course if it wasn't very good I wouldn't still be playing it. Aside from too many repetitive quests, overly long dialogues which aren't very interesting and Ciri's voice acting, I think the biggest shortcoming is the leveling system. I keep gaining XP and new ability points, but after the first few there's not really any abilities I want anymore and even if I get more then I need to swap them out for something I do want. It all ends up in the whole leveling thing feeling useless. The world is great to explore though and in general the quests are more interesting than your average open world RPG. I've grown to accept the potion system it uses because at least if felt more rewarding than the leveling system. The more serious setting compared to Elder Scrolls games definitely are a high point. I also really enjoyed the main story thread in the beginning because it was about finding people who were on the run and in trouble and that felt really touching and human. Unfortunately later on it falls into the terrible save-the-world trope for absolutely no good reason whatsoever. It's a shame. All in all it's a great game with some serious shortcomings which can be overlooked by the many high points of the game.

chirinea (47507) on 12/1/2020 12:28 PM · Permalink · Report

I'm playing it right now too (I started in May, but life got in the way, now I'm back at it). I think I'm at 70% or so of the story. I absolutely agree with your assessment of the leveling system, I have many unspent points as I really don't see any advantage of switching my current abilities for new ones. I keep waiting for the new slots to open, then I spend my points.

vedder (71102) on 12/10/2020 9:51 PM · Permalink · Report

Finished The Witcher III a couple days ago. There's a million things I could name that are wrong with the game, but in the end I had a great time for most of the 70+ hours I put into it, so a great game nonetheless.

Now started on Crusader Kings III. I started as a count of Antwerp because I wanted to start at a count level and move my way up and this was the only one with a Dutch culture closely near to where I grew up.

Since then I have fathered 5 children, one of which is a bastard after being seduced by the wife of my first-born son. That son is now my nemesis and has tried to kill me, strangely enough. I got back at him by slashing is achilles heel at feast I was hosting.

Meanwhile in political affairs I've conquered the counties of Brabant and Heinaut from my peers after fabricating some claims. The latter I managed to conquer by murdering the count and then attacking them while their grieving baby-girl was in charge. I created the title of the Duchy of Brabant to become a Duke and to make sure that when I die and my children take over my realm won't be split threeways. This also made me the cultural head for the Dutch culture allowing me to shape its future a bit.

I gained notoriety romancing the wife of my liege, the king of Lotharingia and after she died of a botched disease I got the king to betroth my 4 year old grand-daughter in the hope it might lead to some much needed military alliance.

My character is in his sixties now so not sure how much longer he will live and then I'll take over as my son and nemesis, so that'll be interesting! Not sure if he keeps all the county title or whether those might be distributed among his siblings. If that's the case his half-brother the bastard I begot by his wife and then legitimized when caught will get one of the county titles within his duchy. Fun times!

vedder (71102) on 12/13/2020 9:56 PM · Permalink · Report

I died quickly after and continued play as my heir, the son who was my nemesis. My primary heir manages to become a count somewhere in Bosnia. Myself I extend the Duchy of Brabant eastwards by conquering Liege. My big goal now is to marry my heirs into the Duchy of Holland which extends far into central Germany. They also enjoy converting the population to be Dutch, removing me as the cultural head. After my aldutering wife dies I marry I young Slovene blonde, but the marriage is shortlived as I die from the very alcoholism which took my mother some years earlier.

Play resumes as the Bosnian count which when taking up the title of Duke of Brabant luckily can convert to become Dutch. This man is a virtuous and noble man so scheming will become difficult, but warring easier. I do continue the path chosen by my father to try to marry into the bloodline that rules Holland. In the short term this nets me an alliance with someone with a far greater army than mine. I manage to sway the Duchess of Holland to marry of her third in line son matrilinially with a daughter of mine. Her second in line succumbs to the black death in a twist of fortune for me and after some time (and lots of stress for my virtuous character) I manage to murder her second in line without getting detected. This means the offspring of my sister (when she comes of age) are now in line to inherit the Duchy of Holland.

I keep expanding the Duchy of Brabant south and east, adding cities like Maastricht, Namur, Cologne and Bonn. In the Balkans I conquer most of Bosnia to create a new Duchy of Bosnia. Later I extend this into Serbia where some heretics live. During all this I lose one son in a siege, the one I intended to inherit Bosnia.

When the Duchess of Holland dies Holland is partitioned into Holland, Utrecht and Frisia, but I now have a matrilinially betrothed daughter which will come of age soon. The devision of large Holland also made me the cultural head of the Dutch culture again. Hopefully this will allow me to research some laws which will allow me to keep my lands together a bit more after I die because I now have quite a few children and grandchildren and Duke titles for Brabant, Bosnia, Liege and Lower Lorraine. I wouldn't like to see those get split completely. All my family members now enjoy nice count titles within the lands I conquered and they all like me, but there's sure to be some infighting when I die...

vedder (71102) on 12/17/2020 10:15 PM · Permalink · Report

I conquered some lands for the claims my wife had on the Duchy of Ostfalen. Unfortunately this meant she couldn't help my rule and my stewardship plummeted and I had to give some of my holdings to family members. I managed to further expand Brabant eastward bit by bit. When my wife died my first born son inherited her title so briefly he left my realm, but then I died as well shortly after and the realm was reunited again.

Continuing as my heir I conquered another Duchy further east, a title I inherited from my mother (I think?). This put me over the size limit of my domain so I had to device a new plan to become a king. This took a lot of effort and mostly money of becoming best buddies with the pope so that he would endorse me for a claim on the Kingdom of Thuringia. A kingdom I once was part of and was huge but had at some point been partitioned into Thuringia, West Francia and Burgundy. My realm was now inside West Francia and the King of Thuringia also has the title of King of Frysia so I firgured he could miss one title. I've still to wage war for this claim as I need to build up some military might first. Also I'm trying to break his alliances using my exception intrigue skills. I'm not quite certain how all the alliance game-rules work, but I'm hoping that by killing the daughter of the king who is queen of Bavaria, the alliance between Lotharingia and Bavaria will end.

Meanwhile. The Duke of Holland had a male heir, which bears my family name so he was of no more use to me and I bricked him up in my wine cellar. There's now a very young Duke in Holland bearing my family name.

Another family member managed to inherit a ducal title somewhere in central Turkey inside the Byzantine Empire. That brings the total number of Dukes in my family to 3 so far.

I also helped my buddy the pope in his Crusade against Jerusalem. A strange request when Rome itself is held by muslims and the pope currently has no home at all. But together with most of central Europe we managed to take hold of Jerusalem and the surrounding lands.

vedder (71102) on 12/19/2020 8:23 AM · Permalink · Report

My plan worked and by killing the Bavarian princess the Kingdom of Thuringia lost its biggest ally and became easy pickings. In a fairly short and easy war I became king of Thuringia extending my existing realm into Alsace/Lorraine and reducing the former king to his other title of King of Frisia. Being a king now my realm was no longer overextended and is certain to be inherited in its entirety by my heir. Since my name isn't Lothar I renamed my kingdom to the slightly unpronouncable Eekelia.

After consolidating my new realm as an independent king I found another interesting opportunity. The first in line to the kingdom of East Francia (my former liege) was a nephew of mine. Being a master schemer I managed to murder the king of East Francia to have my nephew on the throne. While having two kings in my family was nice, I instead decided to claim his title and start a war in an attempt to unite the kingdoms. I died unexpectedly of old age during the war.

My son continued the war and after some unforeseen setbacks managed to win it eventually to join the kingdoms together and almost doubling my realm which now extends far into Germany. Having been king for only a short while and having much lower stats as my father, my vassals are reluctant to have me as a ruler. My most pressing concern is that many of my family members appear to prefer my older sister (a count in the Holy Land) on the throne. My other concern is that the kingdoms will be split again if I die because my culture group hasn't researched the laws yet that would allow me to designate a sole heir. But owning so much German land maybe founding the Holy Roman Empire and becoming Emperor might be within my reach...

Cavalary (11447) on 12/19/2020 1:59 PM · Permalink · Report

Eekelia sounds very pronounceable to me :)

But this whole story, which likely mirrors events that happened countless times in "reality", sure shows the rottenness of humans and why nobody who wants a position of authority should ever be allowed to have it.

vedder (71102) on 12/19/2020 9:31 PM · Permalink · Report

Haha, yeah if the Crusader Kings series does one thing it's to allow you to be a evil megalomaniac asshole.

So the reign I was playing was spent mostly on a consolidation effort, and then my character got ill and died at a fairly young age. The kingdoms were unevenly split with most territory going to the kingdom of East Frankia which went to my second son. So I had to continue play as my firstborn son who now was still a king, but of a very small kingdom of Eekelia. Perhaps after the dirty politics of my father and grandfather nobody really likes me and soon people revolt against me in an attempt to put my aunt (Countess of Holland) on the throne. I manage to quash the rebellion and maintain some integrity in my realm. I intend to reunite the two kingdoms with my new character as he's fairly young and I have hopes to have research some better inheritance laws before I die. Seeing how my brother, king of East Frankia is bethroted to a girl underage I plot to kill him, since I'm still first in line for inheritance of the kingdom. However my poor scheming skills take many months and by the time I finally kill him (with a lucky coin-toss probability) he gave birth to a boy just some months before. So instead of cleanly inheriting the realm I now had to decide to kill the boy as well or just flat-out declare war against the baby. I picked the latter since it's hard to maintain alliances as a baby.

The war was lengthy but went well and reunited the kingdoms under my name again, and also made me very wealthy because I captured a lot of noblemen in battles and sieges which I could ransom. Of course now even more people hate me and another rebellion has erupted to put my aunt on the Eekelian throne. This time some discontent dukes from East Frankia joined in, so I might not even win this time. But if I do, at least I keep the Kingdom of East Frankia.

Also during my absence in East Frankia, its lands in Bosnia and Serbia became an independent kingdom and some lands in southern Belgium became independent as well. I had never really intended to keep onto my lands in the Balkan, but I had hoped it would at least be ruled by my family which doesn't seem to be the case. I do still have some counts and perhaps some dukes there. Not to mention some powerful dukes in the Byzantine empire. My forefathers tendency to place people of my family everywhere as counts and dukes has created a true clusterfuck, agitated by the infighting by my current great-grandfather who normalized infighting by trying to merge two kingdoms. I have about 40 living family members, almost all of which have some noble title. It does help with my wars because there's always some relatives willing to join in for no cost.

vedder (71102) on 12/22/2020 12:50 PM · Permalink · Report

The war was a horrible mess and of course I lost. So the kingdom of Eekelia went to my aunt, which sucked. Which sucks even more is that I now rule over a bunch of Franconians and Swabians and whatnot so I'm no longer the cultural head for the Dutch. More positively all the hard feelings against me seem to have dissipated so I managed to get my realm under control again. A lot of fine knights and councilmen died though.

Ironically my aunt died of a botched surgery not long after the war so my cousin took over the kingdom of Eekelia and he doesn't mind me much. Meanwhile I renamed my remaining kingdom of East Frankia to Greater Eekelia out of spite. They sit snugly next to each other on the map.

My current character's abysmal intrigue skills makes it impossible to properly work my way onto other thrones or do more alliance destroying by breaking up marriages with death. So instead I'm focusing on educating my children properly and waging small wars against weaker neighbours to increase my realm one county at a time. When my primary heir comes of age, I should probably become a knight myself to make an early death more likely.

vedder (71102) on 12/24/2020 10:54 AM · Permalink · Report

The kingdom slowly expands southwards into Burgundy which is picked apart from all sides (Vikings on the coast, Italians in the south and even my king nephew wants a piece). Most of the time I'm helping allies which keep calling me into their petty squabbles. When my mother dies I inherit some lands in southern Italy, Southern Greece and Bulgaria. Way outside my jurisdiction so more of a burden than a blessing. It triggers an independence war which one of my bigger border duchies joins. It's easily put down. When the pope asks for a crusade against the Nordic heathens in England I convince him to redirect it to my neighbour, the powerful kingdom of Poland instead. It's a huge disaster and we lose big time in a huge uncoordinated mess our slightly superior numbers a squashed one by one instead of attacking their huge army-stack all together.

Luticia, one of Poland's allies tries to exact revenge some years later and tries to takes Ostfalen from me with Poland at his side. I managed to capture the Lutician chief however and the war is swiftly over before it can turn in another huge bloodbath.

Frisia keeps losing counties which become independent, I eagerly conquer them and integrate them into my kingdom. The border-gore between our kingdoms is slowly straightened out in the north. When I fall ill at a high age (for medieval standards) I figure it might be time for a holy war as a final act of greatness. The options are limited to Luticia or their ally Poland, which don't seem like success stories. A third option is a Scottish chiefdom which has some land to the north of me. So as probably one of my latest acts I conquer Hamburg and Lübeck.

vedder (71102) on 12/25/2020 10:26 PM · Permalink · Report

My character refuses to die and my realm is stable so I use this borrowed time to take more land from Burgundy which eventually succombs to Sjaelland invaders. I convince the count of Namur and Bouillon (who were once part of the first kingdom of Eekelia) to become my vassals. When the Duchy of Bar steals the Duchy of Upper Lorraine from Eekelia, I gladly take it off their hands. I take the rest of Bar later. Meanwhile one of my Dukes inherits some land around Jerusalem and my wife becomes a countess in the Balkans which my children stand to inherit.

I pick off more counties in Frisia, France and Swiss. I'm contemplating conquering the southern part of Denmark while they are having a civil war, when I finally die of old age leaving behind a respectable kingdom. Unfortunately despite of getting good teachers my heir is shy which makes him the worst person to rule over half a dozen dukes. I try to consolidate my grip on power, but the kingdom immediately tumbles into a civil war for reduced crown authority. And then I'm killed. I think by my wife, cause she hates me, but I'm not sure why as I missed the events that lead up to this. Now the son (from a previous wife) ascends the throne. Hopefully he can still win the civil war and restore peace to the kingdom of Greater Eekelia.

In foreign Affairs, West Francia is completely collapsing which opens up a window of expansion for me once I wrap up the civil war. But it also means Iberian muslims will probably get a greater foothold in France. Poland is still strong, but has lost Bohemia and Moravia (not sure if through succession or simply inheritance partition). The Byzantine Empire slowly grows and now reaches from Kiev to Rome to Cairo to Syria. Dominating the Easter Mediterranean and owning pretty much the entire coastline of the Black Sea. There's a fair chance they'll be after my Greek, Italian and Balkan vassals at some point and I'll probably have to just hand them over on a silver platter when they do.

vedder (71102) on 12/27/2020 10:44 PM · Permalink · Report

My new character manages to win the civil war and restore stability to the kingdom. He's not good at intrigue or war, but he is good at development so it's a time for building. Not to mention this man was married by his grandfather to the woman with the highest stats in the world pretty much. She gets to educate all our children. My primary heir has the genius trait, which is great.

I conquer the Duchy of Frisia of the Kingdom of Frisia and another Dutch county in a holy war against the heretics from Flanders. Frisis loses some counties in Germany which are all willing to just be vassalized by me. I'm almost at the point where I'll become cultural head of the Dutch again.

The kingdom is now stable and bigger than ever, although I had to give Napoli their independence since they were a pain. I do lack allies and have virtually no claims to start wars on because of the quick death of my father. The expansion options I have now are Frisia and Eekelia, the latter of which is quite strong despite their much smaller size. The balkanized France is tempting too, but neither I or any of my vassals hold any claims there yet.

vedder (71102) on 12/30/2020 10:32 PM · Permalink · Report

I manage to help my vassals and expand a tiny bit into France, but generally keep busy improving the empire. I see an opportunity to take Lower Lorraine from Eekelia but their king is an insane military leader so I have to peace out. Later when he dies of old age I assassinate their new queen first to annul their alliance with a powerful Byzantine Doux from Italy and take it anyway.

Somewhere in between there's a Holy war to cast all the heretics (Cathars and Muslims) out of France. We're well on our way and I have like 65% participation score but then for some unclear reason the crusade is called void and the whole thing just ends inexplicably.

I want to expand into Burgundy (which is French again now and no longer Norse/Danish), but while I do I'm attacked by two powerful Danish kings. I'm forced to white peace with the Burgundians and regroup at my northern frontier. It looks iffy at first, but a quick marriage of some of my daughters allows me to make some pretty sick alliances which more than double the amount of troops I have. So after some initial losses I flip the tide and win the war.

My Dutch culture now allows for high crown authority as an option. Since all my vassals were happy I can switch immediately. The amount of money coming in each month now is insane. I use it to usurp the kingdom of Eekelia and have each of Eekelia's former vassals join me, except their former king who is now Duke of Holland and still holds a sizeable territory. Antwerp, the city I started in as a count many generations ago is now once more inside my realm. After integrating all the vassals I destroy the title of Kingdom of Eekelia, so that when I die, the kingdom isn't split apart again.

Things are looking up. Aside from the vassals I just acquired, who are grumpy I'm no longer their de jure liege (because I destroyed the title) everyone is happy. I generate a ton of money. The kingdom is bigger than ever. In fact, I might get close to being able to create an empire title, after which I can bring back the kingdom title. And I have some insane allies for the short term at least. The biggest thorn in my side at the moment is that due to some short term need for an alliance at some point Frisia is now my ally and since they are all Dutch they are kind of my prime target for expansion.

vedder (71102) on 1/2/2021 11:03 AM · Permalink · Report

A holy war for the kingdom of Bohemia nets me another kingdom title. After some consolidating and helping the pope in dethroning the excommunicated king of Burgandy. I can form an empire and ensure my realm will not fall apart on my demise. The dukes below me now actively attack my neighbours so the empire is expanding even without my direct wars which allows me to invest some money into improving my holdings. My alliances keep calling me into petty wars I have no real interest in, so at the moment they are more of a burden than a help. I conquer the duchy of Champagne and once my alliance with Frisia ends I take the Duchy of Holland and usurp the kingdom of Frisia title. Utrecht gladly joins me as a vassal, the rest will follow soon. In another crusade I help my cousin to become a count in Galicia. I had the pope consecrate my bloodline. My high learning skill ensures more and more technology becomes available to the Dutch.

I'm now old, and my wife has died already. I'm not sure how much longer my reign will last. The transition period is always messy so it remains to be seen if this is the biggest it'll be or that my heir (who's also already in his 50s, so I could even outlive him and switch straight to a grandson) can even expand it further. Depending on how it goes I might also see if I can find my own christian religion as an emperor I'd have a pretty big sway over people to convert and then having lots of people pay me Indulgences which I can then use to build more stuff and finance more wars.

vedder (71102) on 1/2/2021 10:44 PM · Permalink · Report

I disinherit my oldest son because his stats suck and my second son is a genius. He seems to take it well. This also means I only have one heir and all my titles will pass to him. I die shortly after. So my new character thinks himself French, which we quickly remedy, but he also has one or two illegitimate children with his younger sister. Later she dies in labor giving birth to another. I blabbermouth and some courtier finds out, I quickly have her murdered and hope no one else knows at this point besides me, the dead courtier, my dead sister and dead father.

Mostly through diplomacy the whole of the Netherlands is mine now and I'm expanding into north-eastern Germany, mostly through diplomacy and some minor wars. My Dukes are picking off land from Bavaria one Duchy at the time. Unfortunately my new character doesn't have the perk to buy claims for piety because he has a ton of piety and buying some Bavarian duchy titles and conquering them would be great since they are in my culture group. The other interesting option is to do a Holy War for Poland, which would add a huge chunk of land to my realm, but it might be risky because there are a lot of kingdoms sharing their faith that might come to their aid. Picking off small independent French counties and Duchies is also still on the table. Paris is getting within view.

vedder (71102) on 1/10/2021 9:38 PM · Permalink · Report

Hmm haven't updated in a while. I think I became emperor shortly after the last post. My strategy now relies mostly on my vassals slowly extending my real one county or duchy at a time, while I invite people with kingdom claims to my court and then wage a war for them and put them on the throne. This has worked well for a long time and it seems I'm pretty much unstoppable now. My empire covers most of England, all of the Netherlands, Belgium, Luxemburg (where my seat of power lies), Germany, Denmark, the southern tip of Sweden, Switzerland, Austria (almost), Northern France (draw a line from Brittany to the Alps), a large chunk of the center of Italy, three quarters of Yugoslavia, some land in Hungary and Romania, Ukraine Syria and Jerusalem and surroundings.

I had briefly managed to put the pope back in Rome, but lost the city again to Byzantium due to some internal wars from my vassals. Regardless Byzantium's power is waning.

My biggest struggle is my own council, some vassals managed to get hooks on me and are now forcibly on my council resulting in me not being able to put together a technocratic government. This has cause cultural conversion to go very slowly, but the Dutch culture reigns supreme along the coast of Europe from Normandy to Poland. Inland it's definitely more varied, except along the Rhine which used to be my heartland generations ago.

Most of my money seems to go to gifts to vassals in order to persuade them to convert to catholisism. There are some heretics popping up infrequently and Scandinavia still has old German believes, while Poland and further east is Jewish and the Eastern mediterranian is all Orthodox. I'm hoping that by converting the heads of state they'll help convert the local population.

The Fabulous King (1332) on 1/11/2021 3:50 PM · Permalink · Report

I thought that each year we make a new thread. I feel kinda stupid now for making a new jorunal. :(

Cavalary (11447) on 1/12/2021 1:48 AM · Permalink · Report

Thought it was usually made when the previous one became too long, this of course being a very arbitrary threshold. But this one sure doesn't seem long at all. Now that we have a new one, it should be used for new posts, but I think it'd have been odd for vedder to continue the... game diary started here in a different thread either way.

vedder (71102) on 1/14/2021 10:37 PM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Cavalary wrote--]but I think it'd have been odd for vedder to continue the... game diary started here in a different thread either way. [/Q --end Cavalary wrote--]

Yeah that was my sentiment as well, feel free to continue in the other thread!

Cavalary (11447) on 12/31/2020 7:51 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

Wow! Didn't think I'd manage this too by the end of the year, but I was close to the end and decided to just rush it. So, with finishing (such as it is, considering how abruptly it ends, without explaining anything or even allowing questlines to complete) Witch's Wake today, I finally finished all of Kingmaker and also, seeing as almost 2 months ago I also finished those additional scenarios first included in Neverwinter Nights: Gold (bar the multiplayer one), I have now finally, finally finished all of Neverwinter Nights: Diamond. First started the original campaign in 2007, finished in 2009 or 2010, SoU I finished rather quickly after that I think, then started HotU, this definitely still at least in 2010, if they weren't all in 2009 somehow, only finished HotU in 2016, started KM right after that, only finished it in January this year, then SG in March, and WW today! Over 13 years, but there you have it. Phew!

I'll be trying to write a review for Kingmaker, with something about each of the three modules included, but not sure when, and not 100% sure if, for that matter.

Right now, just... feeling rather content.