Forums > Off Topic > Wow.

Cassie_hearts_MCR on 3/20/2007 8:14 PM · Permalink · Report

Hi. Wow. Im back. Im pretty sure i havent logged in here since last August...And there are quite a few people. How has everyone been?

Zovni (10504) on 3/20/2007 8:58 PM · Permalink · Report

Had a few flame wars, you missed all the fun.

General Error (4328) on 3/21/2007 3:16 AM · Permalink · Report

Yeah, it's all Zovni's fault.

Cassie_hearts_MCR on 3/21/2007 2:44 PM · Permalink · Report

lol Sad. Well maybe there will be more soon and i will be able to join in on them.. ^_^ What happened?

General Error (4328) on 3/21/2007 9:31 PM · Permalink · Report

Hmm... let's just say a guy appeared for whom it was really important to be right. REALLY important. Someone who liked words like "moron" very much. He has now disappeared, though. But he really went in style -- check out this wonderful thread.

Things have calmed down a bit since. Phew.

Slug Camargo (583) on 3/21/2007 10:59 PM · Permalink · Report

You also missed a juicy thread about gaming girls. About ten hundred thousand posts --all of them written by males.

AaronGamer (29) on 3/22/2007 2:13 PM · Permalink · Report

Hey I just logged in, It has been almost a week and a half, did I miss anything?

Cassie_hearts_MCR on 3/22/2007 6:47 PM · Permalink · Report

Oh i cant wait to read his thread. haha

I dont know actually. I just got back to this site.

Are there any more girls on here besides me and Alexis(RE5FAN)?

Matt Neuteboom (976) on 3/22/2007 7:42 PM · Permalink · Report

Let's not forget the whole Israeli War thread which was so bad that one of our best approvers/review writers left the sight for a bit....luckily he's back though.

Unicorn Lynx (181769) on 3/23/2007 12:48 AM · Permalink · Report

I'm back with a vengeance!! Fear my wrath!!!

Uh... sorry. Been playing too many RPGs lately.

Zovni (10504) on 3/23/2007 6:15 PM · Permalink · Report

Mess with the best.... ;)

Unicorn Lynx (181769) on 3/23/2007 12:47 AM · Permalink · Report

What do you mean "any more girls"?! There are two girls who are among the MobyGames All-Time Top 50 Contributors (TM)!

Jeanne and Monkeyislandgirl proved that the common belief "women can't score MobyGames contribution points" was nothing but a prejudice.

Cassie_hearts_MCR on 3/23/2007 3:49 AM · Permalink · Report

Really? I didnt know that.

Unicorn Lynx (181769) on 3/23/2007 4:20 AM · Permalink · Report

Well, now you know... so how about scoring some points? :)

Slug Camargo (583) on 3/23/2007 5:09 AM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Unicorn Lynx wrote--]Well, now you know... so how about scoring some points? :) [/Q --end Unicorn Lynx wrote--] Is it just me or that just sounded so kinky?

Marko Poutiainen (1151) on 3/23/2007 11:09 AM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Dr. Von Katze wrote--] [Q2 --start Unicorn Lynx wrote--]Well, now you know... so how about scoring some points? :) [/Q2 --end Unicorn Lynx wrote--] Is it just me or that just sounded so kinky? [/Q --end Dr. Von Katze wrote--] Especially coming from a recently married man...

Cassie_hearts_MCR on 3/23/2007 5:08 PM · Permalink · Report

lol I didnt see it as such.

How do i earn points?

chirinea (47516) on 3/23/2007 5:45 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

By contributing any info to MobyGames. The easiest way to do so is to rate a game: all you need to do is to go to the rap sheet of any game you've played, click on "rate game" (right under the game score) and rate the game in each of its rating categories. It will give you 1/4 point for each rating. For example, I saw you love Resident Evil games, why don't you start from there?

But it would be even better if you contributed other things, such as screenshots for games, credits, rankings from other sites, product codes, developer bios, developer pictures, company logos, company overviews, game tech specs, game release info, or even new games. There is a lot of things that you can contribute to MG, and the more you do it, the more you want to do! (I bet you'll become a MG addict, more than you're a MySpace addict! ;) ).

Wizo (28759) on 3/23/2007 6:31 PM · Permalink · Report

And in the end you have this warm fuzzy feeling that you have made the world a better place.

The Fabulous King (1332) on 3/24/2007 2:26 AM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Wizo wrote--]And in the end you have this warm fuzzy feeling that you have made the world a better place. [/Q --end Wizo wrote--] And that`s exactly the reason why we are all here. Am I right Oleg?

Unicorn Lynx (181769) on 3/24/2007 8:01 AM · Permalink · Report

What? Oh... yes! Ahem!.. Yes, definitely! All we care about is improving the condition of the world... ehh... being possessed by irrational greed for contribution points and the exhibitionist desire of sharing with humanity our most intimate game-related thoughts play no role at all.

DJP Mom (11333) on 3/24/2007 11:52 AM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start chirinea wrote--]By contributing any info to MobyGames. The easiest way to do so is to rate a game: all you need to do is to go to the rap sheet of any game you've played, click on "rate game" (right under the game score) and rate the game in each of its rating categories. It will give you 1/4 point for each rating. [/Q --end chirinea wrote--]

Hey, I didn't realize it was so easy!

chirinea (47516) on 3/24/2007 12:38 PM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start DJP Mom wrote--]Hey, I didn't realize it was so easy! [/Q --end DJP Mom wrote--] So, what are you waiting for, Mom? Run for your points, run!

DJP Mom (11333) on 3/24/2007 1:09 PM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start chirinea wrote--] [So, what are you waiting for, Mom? Run for your points, run! [/Q --end chirinea wrote--] Well here I am, lurking and posting - it will be nice to get a few numbers up there and look like I'm actually doing some work ;-)

nullnullnull (1463) on 3/23/2007 9:47 PM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Cassie_hearts_MCR wrote--]lol I didnt see it as such.

How do i earn points? [/Q --end Cassie_hearts_MCR wrote--]

probably the easier way is to rate games

http://www.mobygames.com/game/ps2/resident-evil-4/rate

DJP Mom (11333) on 3/24/2007 5:19 PM · Permalink · Report

(He he look at that! One point!)

Am I wrong in assuming that ratings are meant to be subjective? I mean, a DOS game you played in 1993 is not going to have what would be called "good graphics" today, but at the time you may have loved it and the graphics may have been great...

chirinea (47516) on 3/24/2007 5:38 PM · Permalink · Report

Congrats, Mom, for your very first MobyPoint!

About being subjective, I wouldn't say that. I mean, in 1993, that graphic was objectively that good. Oh well, maybe every rating is subjective, but what I'm trying to say is that you have to be fair with the game. I've already mentioned this story here, but a friend of mine laughed when I said that The Dig has good graphics. I really think it, even with all the advance in game graphics we had since its launch. A game can have great graphics, even if they're dated.

DJP Mom (11333) on 3/24/2007 6:13 PM · Permalink · Report

"Congrats, Mom, for your very first MobyPoint!"

Thanks. I looked at the screenshots for The Dig, and I have to agree with you, they look good to me. I think it's in the detail, the small things, and the really nice colors.

Unicorn Lynx (181769) on 3/25/2007 2:22 AM · Permalink · Report

The Dig had amazing graphics. Sadly, not many people are able to judge graphics in their historical context.

Игги Друге (46654) on 3/25/2007 4:47 AM · Permalink · Report

It is a common misconception that graphics have improved since 1993. They haven't. What has happened is that we have had a paradigm shift from 2D to 3D. Rendered 3D graphics aren't better than drawn 2D graphics just by virtue of the added dimension.

To put it another way, graphics in games nowadays are controlled by programmers, whereas they used to be the work of graphics artists.

General Error (4328) on 3/26/2007 12:14 AM · Permalink · Report

Damn well said! True for me, anyway. Nice 2D animations can beat bad 3D animations by far. And it's amazing how much love and life skilled 2D animators can cram in just a bunch of pixels. A great example is Lemmings -- not much more than 8 pixels high, yet still so cute and cuddly. Now that's what I call art.

Joshua J. Slone (4666) on 3/26/2007 3:45 PM · Permalink · Report

I disagree with you here. Sure, programmers have a lot of control over things like frame rate, pop up, lighting, and in general the graphical limits, but the artists still must make use of them. From concept art to 3D models to detailed animation to textures to even the rendering style of the game, artists have a much broader and deeper canvas to fill in than before. The best-looking games are still due to good art.

General Error (4328) on 3/27/2007 12:22 AM · Permalink · Report

I agree: Graphics have developed much, becoming more and more complex, and making good graphics is an art.

But the quality has not changed much. It rather has worsened, if you take the average of all games: Most games are shoved on the market quick'n'dirty at minimum cost. In the 80s, most games were the work of freaks. And artists, too! Pixel graphics are a form of art. Just look at stitching or knitting -- early "pixel graphics".

Unicorn Lynx (181769) on 3/24/2007 8:04 AM · Permalink · Report

Chirinea and Flipkin are right. Rate games. You don't need any skill for that, just think of the games you've played and rate 'em. I got 647 points only from rating games. Six hundred forty-seven! Think of that! That's a goddam fortune!!

Slug Camargo (583) on 3/24/2007 4:56 PM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Unicorn Lynx wrote--]Chirinea and Flipkin are right. Rate games. You don't need any skill for that, just think of the games you've played and rate 'em. I got 647 points only from rating games. Six hundred forty-seven! Think of that! That's a goddam fortune!! [/Q --end Unicorn Lynx wrote--] 647 POINTS JUST FROM RATING GAMES? That's even more than I have in total!

I'd tell you to get a life, but you have a job and you're even married... Man, I suck :P

chirinea (47516) on 3/24/2007 5:06 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

Nah, Oleg is an exeption, he's the #1 contributor in ratings, but he's way above the #2, which is Kartanym, with 272. I'm pretty sure we've played as much games as Oleg rated, but in my case, for instance, I avoid rating those I played a long time ago, or which I don't remember well.

Anyway, useless info: if you rated now every single game we have on file, you'd get 8144 points! That would cast one at #29 in the top contributors chart, just below Trixter!

nullnullnull (1463) on 3/24/2007 7:37 PM · Permalink · Report

Another way to help w/o really having to do much is contribute rankings. Rankings are reviews from other sites. When enough are contributed the magick mobygames ranking machine computes a wighted average. Basically since one reviewer may be biased this evens it out.

http://www.mobygames.com/game/gamecube/resident-evil-4/contribute/mobyrank

Cassie_hearts_MCR on 3/24/2007 8:26 PM · Permalink · Report

Okay. Im going to start earning points. =]] Should be easy. Thanks guys.

Игги Друге (46654) on 3/25/2007 4:50 AM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start flipkin wrote--]Another way to help w/o really having to do much is contribute rankings.[/Q --end flipkin wrote--] Are you saying that all my painstaking typing from dusty old magazines is not doing much? Adding all rankings from a single issue takes the better part of an evening.

nullnullnull (1463) on 3/26/2007 3:28 PM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Iggy Drougge wrote--] [Q2 --start flipkin wrote--]Another way to help w/o really having to do much is contribute rankings. [/Q2 --end flipkin wrote--] Are you saying that all my painstaking typing from dusty old magazines is not doing much? Adding all rankings from a single issue takes the better part of an evening. [/Q --end Iggy Drougge wrote--]

Well that is above and beyond. I was thinking online sources as easy. Offline sources should have more point or something.

Foxhack (32098) on 3/25/2007 6:41 AM · Permalink · Report

Except of course when your ranks get WIPed indefinitely because the magazine that published them only lasted one year and does not have a website anymore.

(bloody annoying.)

Unicorn Lynx (181769) on 3/25/2007 2:24 AM · Permalink · Report

LOL :) Most people forget to rate games they have played. I'm sure many of you would get more points from ratings than me, if you only thought of rating every single game you've ever played. I rated every game I've ever laid my eyes on.

Joshua J. Slone (4666) on 3/25/2007 2:34 AM · edited · Permalink · Report

Wow. If your game ratings split off as their own person, they'd rank 207th among contributors.

Unicorn Lynx (181769) on 3/25/2007 2:40 AM · Permalink · Report

LOL, what a weird statistics :)

But that shows that ANYONE can score several hundred of points (or even more) without effort, just by rating games. Think of how many games you've played in your life. Not completed, but just played, if only for a short while.

On the other hand, I must say that most of my ratings came after I started downloading old games and making screenshots. There was a time when I was playing two new games every day, just to make screenshots for them. And I rated every single game I captured screenshots from.

General Error (4328) on 3/26/2007 12:08 AM · edited · Permalink · Report

Yeah, screenshots if definitively an easy way to accumulate gazillions of points. wink

Oh, not that we're here just for points, far from that; we're here for the advancement of universal understanding, respect, peace and love. Or so I understand. (But in reality we're just here to check out those forums, hmmm?)