🕹️ New release: Lunar Lander Beyond

Forums > Game Forums > Space Quest: Chapter I - The Sarien Encounter > Anyone knows what that plant is for?

General Error (4329) on 5/24/2007 12:34 PM · Permalink · Report

Since I've first completed Space Quest, I have been looking for a use for this plant you can get at the mesa on Keronia. I have tried just about anything, eating it, smelling it, rubbing it, feeding it to all possible and impossible animals, robots, Sarien guards etc... You definitely don't need it for winning the game (I got 205 out of 202 points without any plant using, hehe), but I'm a perfectionist and need to know! I'm pretty sure it's just a red herring, but I'd like to be sure. Anyone found any use for it? Or at least, is on the same Space Quest subquest as poor little me...?

DJP Mom (11333) on 5/24/2007 12:53 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

I've only ever played SQ5- The Next Mutation, but I know the games sometimes make obscure references to popular culture...something about Ultraman, maybe? (Keronia is a "giant blood-sucking plant monster" in Ultraman)

Unicorn Lynx (181775) on 5/24/2007 12:56 PM · Permalink · Report

It's a red herring, I think it is one of the several totally useless items in early Sierra games. At least the inflatable doll in Larry 1 gave you points... and you could have sex with her (it?)... in three available openings.

Sorry, but that's the way it was in the game... I'm not inventing these obscene things :-/

General Error (4329) on 5/24/2007 2:53 PM · Permalink · Report

You're not inventing them, but you sure never miss an opportunity to mention them! You naughty boy...

Sad to hear the plant is useless. I mean, if I remember right, you get a point for getting it, which was what kept nagging me...

Pseudo_Intellectual (66362) on 5/24/2007 7:42 PM · Permalink · Report

if I remember right, you get a point for getting it, which was what kept nagging me...

Sounds like an un-implemented puzzle to me 8)

Indra was here (20755) on 5/25/2007 5:37 AM · edited · Permalink · Report

Dude, its a Sierra game.

They give weird points ever more stupid reasons. I'm still pissed in leisure suit larry 2, there's one place if you type "look girl", you get points.

There isn't a girl on the screen, no indication on the background coincidence. How did I find out? Luck actually.

General Error (4329) on 5/28/2007 10:33 PM · Permalink · Report

Luck -- of course! You'd probably type "kiss girl" even in a black hole, you sex-crazed maniac!!

But giving points for weird reasons isn't all bad... This made me keep replaying those games, to keep experimenting, trying out the strangest stuff. For example, I still remember my happiness when I got a point in SQ1 for kissing a Sarien guard. Peace, brother!

chirinea (47495) on 5/29/2007 12:11 AM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start General Error wrote--]You'd probably type "kiss girl" even in a black hole, you sex-crazed maniac!! [/Q --end General Error wrote--] But if you think about it, it is quite likely to find a girl in a black hole, since they suck even light into them!

Pseudo_Intellectual (66362) on 5/29/2007 7:44 PM · Permalink · Report

It's easier to find girls who kiss strangers in places where there isn't much light.

Sciere (930525) on 5/29/2007 8:08 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

I have to scribble all of this down and put it to the test some day. This forum is oozing with useful tips & tricks.

Pseudo_Intellectual (66362) on 5/29/2007 8:49 PM · Permalink · Report

girls who kiss strangers in places where there isn't much light.

Please note: "Where there isn't much light" should not be construed as "where the sun don't shine".

DJP Mom (11333) on 5/29/2007 10:39 PM · Permalink · Report

You are just on a roll today, Pseudo Intellectual, you've made my day from the top of the forums all the way down! :-))

Unicorn Lynx (181775) on 5/30/2007 2:43 AM · Permalink · Report

I don't understand what happened to Pseudo. His comments have always been more inclined towards obscure text adventures than sexual problems.

And here suddenly he posts messages in my style!

:/

Pseudo_Intellectual (66362) on 5/30/2007 3:30 AM · Permalink · Report

Pseudo Intellectual, you've made my day from the top of the forums all the way down!

Cheers; my game submissions lately have been dry stubs so I guess my reflexive wit needed to find some other outlet. The forums here quietly provide what I think to be one of the site's greatest resources, so I'm pleased to help enrich others' experiences here by leaving my two cents here and there.

General Error (4329) on 5/30/2007 10:29 AM · Permalink · Report

Oh please do so (as you have always done, by the way). We're all striving for enlightenment here, and your insights always are helpful. Especially about girls! I mean: Girls!! Wah oh!

Pseudo_Intellectual (66362) on 5/30/2007 7:17 PM · Permalink · Report

Girls!! Wah oh!

No one needs to spam on behalf of girls, it's a product that (pimps nonwithstanding) sells itself.

Unicorn Lynx (181775) on 5/31/2007 1:00 AM · Permalink · Report

Pseudo-man, what's the matter with you?! Your behavior has changed drastically in the recent days.

Pseudo_Intellectual (66362) on 5/31/2007 1:14 AM · Permalink · Report

Pseudo-man, what's the matter with you?! Your behavior has changed drastically in the recent days.

The weather has just changed for the hotter and I don't respond well to it -- sweltering may bring out the darker side of my personality 8)

Unicorn Lynx (181775) on 5/31/2007 2:53 AM · Permalink · Report

Everyone, step back! Lord knows what dark and twisted passions hide behind the harmless facade of a friendly text adventure fan!!

Sciere (930525) on 5/31/2007 7:13 AM · Permalink · Report

Just read any text adventure backwards, it's all about devil worshipping.

chirinea (47495) on 5/31/2007 7:11 PM · Permalink · Report

ROTFL

Heh, you made my day Sciere...

Pseudo_Intellectual (66362) on 5/31/2007 10:42 PM · Permalink · Report

yzzyx?

DJP Mom (11333) on 5/31/2007 11:40 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

.sneppah gnihtoN

Pseudo_Intellectual (66362) on 5/31/2007 11:45 PM · Permalink · Report

Gee, that is pretty Satanic.