🕹️ New release: Lunar Lander Beyond

Forums > Game Forums > Legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver > PC version sound bug/problem

Donatello (466) on 8/9/2008 7:33 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

I originally played the game on PSX and after trying it out on PC, I noticed that the music is not fluid. Half the time it doesn't recognize the "triggers" which set off the right tracks at all. For example, when you enter Kain's throne room, Ozar Midrashim (main theme of the game) does NOT start, although it should.

So, here's my question. Am I the only one with this problem or did you notice this as well?

Compare this with this (starts around 4:44).

Foxhack (32100) on 8/9/2008 7:41 PM · Permalink · Report

The credits for the PC version of the game seem to be missing quite a few people - including Kurt Harland, the author of the song you mentioned.

Maybe the songs just aren't in the PC version? o_O

chirinea (47495) on 8/9/2008 8:35 PM · Permalink · Report

No, they are. I played the PC version only and Ozar Midrashim is played in it.

DJP Mom (11333) on 8/9/2008 9:25 PM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Kitsune Sniper wrote--]The credits for the PC version of the game seem to be missing quite a few people [/Q --end Kitsune Sniper wrote--] The original PC credits contributor appears to have been an Eidos employee, hmm - shades of another thread? :)

Foxhack (32100) on 8/9/2008 11:03 PM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start DJP Mom wrote--] [Q2 --start Kitsune Sniper wrote--]The credits for the PC version of the game seem to be missing quite a few people [/Q2 --end Kitsune Sniper wrote--] The original PC credits contributor appears to have been an Eidos employee, hmm - shades of another thread? :) [/Q --end DJP Mom wrote--]Kurt Harland is the composer of Ozar Midrashim. He's credited in the DC and PS1 versions as a sound guy, but I know he's the original composer because he released the song in Don't Be Afraid, a self-released album in the 1990's. :p

DJP Mom (11333) on 8/9/2008 11:19 PM · Permalink · Report

I absoluely believe you, Kitsune - I'm making reference to what I said in the approver forum about credits submitted by people from the company involved.

chirinea (47495) on 8/9/2008 11:51 PM · Permalink · Report

Those credits seem a bit incomplete for my taste. I would recheck them against the in game credits, if only I had my copy with me now.

Foxhack (32100) on 8/10/2008 12:58 AM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start chirinea wrote--]Those credits seem a bit incomplete for my taste. I would recheck them against the in game credits, if only I had my copy with me now. [/Q --end chirinea wrote--]They're VERY incomplete. I downloaded the UK version's manual from Replacement Docs just now, it's missing about half the stuff.

Say, you can do credits, right? I'll add the missing credits, I just need someone to fix the order of the entries.

chirinea (47495) on 8/10/2008 6:28 AM · Permalink · Report

Yes, I can, but I'm afraid only admins can change already approved credits. I can give it a try, anyway.

Foxhack (32100) on 8/10/2008 12:54 AM · edited · Permalink · Report

[Q --start DJP Mom wrote--]I absoluely believe you, Kitsune - I'm making reference to what I said in the approver forum about credits submitted by people from the company involved. [/Q --end DJP Mom wrote--]Oh whoops, my mistake - I thought you meant that I should make another thread or something. >_>

This reminds me of all those credits Tommy Tallarico submitted with nothing but his credits on 'em. :p

That said, three people contributed; one was an Eidos employee, so what did the other two contribute to the entry?

Slug Camargo (583) on 8/11/2008 12:01 AM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Donatello wrote--]I originally played the game on PSX and after trying it out on PC, I noticed that the music is not fluid. Half the time it doesn't recognize the "triggers" which set off the right tracks at all. For example, when you enter Kain's throne room, Ozar Midrashim (main theme of the game) does NOT start, although it should.

So, here's my question. Am I the only one with this problem or did you notice this as well?

Compare this with this (starts around 4:44). [/Q --end Donatello wrote--] The original Soul Reaver was pretty solid when it came out, but, oddly enough, all kinds of problems appear with Windows other than 98. When I first migrated to XP, I had to get a gazillion of unofficial patches and hacks to make it work again every time I upgraded the drivers for something. I haven't tried it in a while, but I'm pretty sure I won't be able to run it with my current configuration.

So I guess your answer is somewhere in there. You should be glad you even got it working, actually :P