🕹️ New release: Lunar Lander Beyond

Forums > MobyGames > Keeping in contact.

GAMEBOY COLOR! (1990) on 9/13/2013 12:57 PM · Permalink · Report

I'm not sure how much longer people will hang around this forum, so I think it's be a good idea to keep in contact with each other via email since not all of us are on social media.

PM me (If that even still works.) and I'll send you my email address. I may not talk a lot around here much anymore, but I could at least count on everybody still being here. Now even Oleg is leaving, and I NEVER thought that would happen. It's kinda sad, but I still want to talk to everybody around here. Other forums are just lame compared to this one.

Cavalary (11445) on 9/13/2013 1:16 PM · Permalink · Report

(Oops, first time I hit report instead of reply too...)

We need a MG-exiles forum somewhere...

Rola (8483) on 9/13/2013 2:11 PM · Permalink · Report

The problem is that PM inbox is still inaccessible. The site notifies that I have 1 message but I can't open it. Also note that email-notification no longer works.

Yes, I was relying on PM feature too much, I barely know other communication options with most users I chatted with.

Fred VT (25953) on 9/13/2013 2:15 PM · Permalink · Report

Some of us are on backloggery as well...

Indra was here (20755) on 9/13/2013 8:52 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Rola wrote--]The problem is that PM inbox is still inaccessible. The site notifies that I have 1 message but I can't open it. Also note that email-notification no longer works.

Yes, I was relying on PM feature too much, I barely know other communication options with most users I chatted with. [/Q --end Rola wrote--] That's me, Rola. I PM-ed you and wondered if the message system was screwed. Was waiting for a reply. Now we know it's screwed.

Anyway, I live in Facebook. So I'm easily accessible. I n d e r a n t a Depari.

vedder (70822) on 9/13/2013 2:53 PM · Permalink · Report

I use Hangouts, Whatsapp and sporadically Facebook.

Hangouts account is my username in reverse at google.com

The others you can find on my portfolio site I guess not putting them here for bots to collect.

Unicorn Lynx (181775) on 9/13/2013 4:54 PM · Permalink · Report

Yeah, I want to keep contact with you guys. I love you all almost as much as I hate the new MobyGames :)

I can't access PMs either. My email is [email protected], in case anyone wants to contact me,

I'll be checking the forums a bit, but the moment I see people have accepted this awful new site I'm definitely gone. For now, boycotting approvals and contributions, but still clinging on that last straw that maybe a collective boycott will change things.

Please make it happen.

Fred VT (25953) on 9/13/2013 5:00 PM · Permalink · Report

I'm not for boycotting when it comes to a project I love, but I am doing an exception here out of solidarity, in hope that the situation improves. I wish that it will come to a point when we'll be heard and that it'll be so awesome that you come back! Cheers!

I mean, MG is still the only reference for this game among others. And the quality of this entry makes me want to stick around and see the rest of the database become like that!

Patrick Bregger (301035) on 9/13/2013 5:26 PM · Permalink · Report

One way or another, as long as the database is in this sad state it would probably be a bad idea to do anything anyway.

Fred VT (25953) on 9/13/2013 5:41 PM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Patrick Bregger wrote--]One way or another, as long as the database is in this sad state it would probably be a bad idea to do anything anyway. [/Q --end Patrick Bregger wrote--]

Indeed, though I have had some items approved...

j.raido 【雷堂嬢太朗】 (95187) on 9/13/2013 6:06 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

Yeah, I'm out too. I was writing up a big long goodbye post, but I'd rather keep it simple and try to stay in contact if at all possible.

Never used Google Hangouts, but that might be a good option. If anyone has something set up for that, send me the details (or an invite or whatever) at [email protected], or just email me if you're in a chattin' mood. :)

I also idle on Freenode IRC, though only in private channels I probably shouldn't pass out ;) I'm on there as either jotaroraido or workdran depending on the time of day. if anyone's interested we can set up a refugees channel.

vedder (70822) on 9/13/2013 7:20 PM · Permalink · Report

I think you need to tie your gmail account to a google+ account before I can invite you in Hangouts. Or at least I don't see how at the moment.

j.raido 【雷堂嬢太朗】 (95187) on 9/13/2013 8:00 PM · Permalink · Report

Done... I think. This social media thing is strange and unfamiliar to me.

Unrelated: Looks like avatars are fixed!

Fred VT (25953) on 9/13/2013 8:18 PM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start 雷堂嬢太朗 -jotaro.raido- wrote--]Done... I think. This social media thing is strange and unfamiliar to me.

Unrelated: Looks like avatars are fixed! [/Q --end 雷堂嬢太朗 -jotaro.raido- wrote--]

Wow, so they are actually fixing some stuff o_o

Terok Nor (42009) on 9/14/2013 7:52 AM · Permalink · Report

Forum page number display, too. Who would have thought that those glaringly obvious bugs that shouldn't have been there in the first place are so easy to fix?

Fred VT (25953) on 9/13/2013 7:26 PM · Permalink · Report

Those who want to contact me can always do so via my Deviantart account: http://ultyzarus.deviantart.com/ or backloggery: http://backloggery.com/ultyzarus

Otherwise I don't hang out in forums and such much. MG was the exception...

GAMEBOY COLOR! (1990) on 9/13/2013 9:36 PM · Permalink · Report

Since PMs aren't working, here's my email address- [email protected] .

Indra was here (20755) on 9/13/2013 9:46 PM · Permalink · Report

Chirinea, kitsune, veddar, and myself are currently having fun on Facebook discussing the situation. Well, actually focused on insulting each other right now, but that's how we roll. Everyone is welcome to join in just to irritate Kit.

Daniel, FB already.

vedder (70822) on 9/13/2013 9:49 PM · Permalink · Report

Damn you, you still spell my name wrong even though I just reminded you of it. I told you you couldn't read :)

Indra was here (20755) on 9/13/2013 10:00 PM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start vedder wrote--]Damn you, you still spell my name wrong even though I just reminded you of it. I told you you couldn't read :) [/Q --end vedder wrote--]Between your nick and my pick, just be glad I didn't type in Vader. :p Oh, it rhymes. So join in the fun so we can discuss Kit's wee little dick.

Right, not exactly the best marketing blurb I'd admit, but the brain is by default screwed anyway. Ask vedder. Hah, I got it right! Copy paste is a marvelous tool. :p

j.raido 【雷堂嬢太朗】 (95187) on 9/13/2013 10:19 PM · Permalink · Report

Dammit, you guys are going to make me start using Facebook again. How could you? :(

Indra was here (20755) on 9/13/2013 10:42 PM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start 雷堂嬢太朗 -jotaro.raido- wrote--]Dammit, you guys are going to make me start using Facebook again. How could you? :( [/Q --end 雷堂嬢太朗 -jotaro.raido- wrote--]Desperate times require desperate measures. Just created a a new thread on my wall since my privacy settings are public.

All weirdos welcome.

j.raido 【雷堂嬢太朗】 (95187) on 9/14/2013 2:09 AM · edited · Permalink · Report

EDIT: Nevermind, screw it.

Indra was here (20755) on 9/14/2013 2:11 AM · Permalink · Report

Don't listen to Jotaro. Besides, his profile pic is cute on Facebook. :p

j.raido 【雷堂嬢太朗】 (95187) on 9/14/2013 2:16 AM · Permalink · Report

A week from now, that's probably all that will be left of me there. :3

Patrick Bregger (301035) on 9/14/2013 2:53 PM · Permalink · Report

The sad thing is that I see no alternatives. There are various sites which concentrate only on single systems which does not interest me. Wikipedia? Too unstructed and the concept of "notability". The Legacy? Pretty much in the same undead state that MobyGames used to be and even our new design with the current bugs is much better than theirs. Oregami? Might become an alternative in a few years if it actually comes to fruition. Giantbomb? I'm not trading one company with another which is likely to pull the same stunt.

Even with the current shit design our content is unrivaled. If only someone with power over it gave a damn... I could almost cry over not only the many hours I wasted here, but the awesome game documentation platform Gamefly killed.

Joel Segerbäck (641) on 9/14/2013 6:12 PM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Patrick Bregger wrote--]Giantbomb? I'm not trading one company with another which is likely to pull the same stunt. [/Q --end Patrick Bregger wrote--] Yeah, after they got acquired by CBSi I've been a bit worried about them. CBS doesn't seem to have forced any changes, but Jeff and the others seem more and more frustrated with the bureaucracy around there. And while I love their wiki, the way Mobygames was/is moderated was pretty good at keeping inaccuracies and vandalism away.

Daniel Saner (3503) on 9/14/2013 6:36 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Patrick Bregger wrote--]The sad thing is that I see no alternatives.[/Q --end Patrick Bregger wrote--]

May I kindly plug UVL once more? So far there is less focus on "editorial" content (descriptions, reviews, etc.) and more on facts, tags, groups and relations; but the facilities are there and beg to be used. The tagging system and search functionality is fantastic. Best of all, the one person who runs the site (Andrea Doimo) is a downright cool guy: he's active on the forums, listens to feedback, asks for suggestions, communicates openly and is quick to fix reported bugs. And he has the web development background to actually know what he's doing!

Alaka (106107) on 9/14/2013 7:01 PM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Daniel Saner wrote--] [Q2 --start Patrick Bregger wrote--]The sad thing is that I see no alternatives. [/Q2 --end Patrick Bregger wrote--] Best of all, the one person who runs the site (Andrea Doimo) is a downright cool guy: he's active on the forums, listens to feedback, asks for suggestions, communicates openly and is quick to fix reported bugs. And he has the web development background to actually know what he's doing! [/Q --end Daniel Saner wrote--]

Until he gets bored with his hobby project and well, you should know the rest by now. If there is a central person in charge with all the power you are nothing but a pawn to them. Unless there is a community owned/ran site you are just working for free until they decide to pull the rug out from under you.

Fred VT (25953) on 9/14/2013 7:10 PM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start ALAKA wrote--] [Q2 --start Daniel Saner wrote--] [Q3 --start Patrick Bregger wrote--]The sad thing is that I see no alternatives. [/Q3 --end Patrick Bregger wrote--] Best of all, the one person who runs the site (Andrea Doimo) is a downright cool guy: he's active on the forums, listens to feedback, asks for suggestions, communicates openly and is quick to fix reported bugs. And he has the web development background to actually know what he's doing! [/Q2 --end Daniel Saner wrote--]

Until he gets bored with his hobby project and well, you should know the rest by now. If there is a central person in charge with all the power you are nothing but a pawn to them. Unless there is a community owned/ran site you are just working for free until they decide to pull the rug out from under you. [/Q --end ALAKA wrote--]

It's why I think the best option would be for a coallition of approvers/contributors to reacquire MG (if it is possible) and run it as a collective, giving more specific tasks to individuals (eg. give the groups managing to Indra) rather than 2 admins, approvers and contributors...

Unicorn Lynx (181775) on 9/15/2013 1:42 AM · Permalink · Report

I'd gladly just keep the actual working community the way it was during the last three years. Too many admins is not good, we would quarrel with each other and eventually ruin the site. Some of us aren't firm enough in their preferences, while others (like me) are hot-headed and impulsive.

Sciere and Kabushi were just perfect. Knowledgeable, accurate, objective, calm, yet passionate about the project. Servo and Terok Nor too. I'd love to see guys like Vedder getting a higher position as well.

And that's all we need. Such guys up there, enthusiastic geeks filling this site with obscure games from Zimbabwe and left-handed red-haired upgradeable underpants-wearing protagonist game groups.

This was a well-oiled machine, except the threat of a GameFly fuckup was always looming over us.

And now it happened.

Daniel Saner (3503) on 9/14/2013 7:12 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

I know, and I have taken up these questions about the database with Andrea on his forums before. While he doesn't want to openly license the database for fear of clones popping up, he said that if anything ever changed about access to the site he would give the core contributors free use of the last data dump, to do with as they please. Sure, it's still just a promise (hence my plans of a real CC-licensed core database, if no one beats me to it), but considering the direct and personal contact contributors have to him, it's way better than what any other games database project out there has.

Also, again, he restated that he's open to suggestions in that respect. I'll take that any day over a hierarchy where you can't even reach those who make the actual decisions.

j.raido 【雷堂嬢太朗】 (95187) on 9/14/2013 11:45 PM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start ALAKA wrote--] [Q2 --start Daniel Saner wrote--] [Q3 --start Patrick Bregger wrote--]The sad thing is that I see no alternatives. [/Q3 --end Patrick Bregger wrote--] Best of all, the one person who runs the site (Andrea Doimo) is a downright cool guy: he's active on the forums, listens to feedback, asks for suggestions, communicates openly and is quick to fix reported bugs. And he has the web development background to actually know what he's doing! [/Q2 --end Daniel Saner wrote--] Until he gets bored with his hobby project and well, you should know the rest by now. If there is a central person in charge with all the power you are nothing but a pawn to them. Unless there is a community owned/ran site you are just working for free until they decide to pull the rug out from under you. [/Q --end ALAKA wrote--] This is precisely what happened with the many, many (, many) hours of hard work I put into VGRebirth. Rev is an awesome guy and had a totally valid reason for moving on, but that's simply too great a danger when continued operation relies entirely on the continued interest and support of a single individual.

Daniel Saner (3503) on 9/14/2013 6:32 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

I'm with that. Although I've probably been too much of a lurker for anybody to want to stay in contact specifically -- but if something group/board-like emerges I'll always be up for it (do Hangouts work like that? I have an orphaned Google account somewhere. They send me about one notification a month that I have to create yet another account due to yet another login system, so I have completely lost track of the dozen account names and addresses).

My name is up there, I'm also on Facebook (hey Indra, real photo again now!) and on other sites I'm usually "anamon" (Backloggery, Steam, UVL...).

Indra was here (20755) on 9/14/2013 8:04 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

Well, the FB thread is going well. At least for those using Facepalmbook, we're in no fear of losing contacts. Yes, you nerds. Keep up with the times and social media, you wankers. Being a zombie is the norm now. :p

So, hang out with us at the Unofficial MG Troll Call Pub (kudos to vedder for the name). Sponsored by Facebook and my over-inflated ego.

Parental advisory warning. Online activities not rated but expect the standard filth from my part. :p

Havoc Crow (29859) on 9/14/2013 11:27 PM · Permalink · Report

If anyone's interested, I can be found at Backloggery or Deviantart (ignore my drawings, they're terrible) as well.

MrFlibble (18234) on 9/20/2013 2:01 PM · Permalink · Report

So guys... As stupid/brash/inappropriate as it sounds, has anyone considered, eh, starting everything afresh? Would it be at all possible, or not?

Fred VT (25953) on 9/20/2013 2:12 PM · Permalink · Report

We have, there's a promising project at oregami.org, but it's still only in the form of a project. Unless someone can build something similar as MG in less than a week... XD

MrFlibble (18234) on 9/20/2013 3:11 PM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start The Last Approver wrote--]We have, there's a promising project at oregami.org, but it's still only in the form of a project. [/Q --end The Last Approver wrote--] Thanks, I didn't know about that one. It is indeed very interesting, and the goals set by that team are very appealing.

Of course nothing can be built from scratch in a week, but at least there is an established community, which as I understand has nowhere to go right now.

Fred VT (25953) on 9/20/2013 3:16 PM · Permalink · Report

Exactly.

Sebastian Eichholz (3) on 9/21/2013 6:05 PM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start MrFlibble wrote--] [Q2 --start The Last Approver wrote--]We have, there's a promising project at oregami.org, but it's still only in the form of a project. [/Q2 --end The Last Approver wrote--] Thanks, I didn't know about that one. It is indeed very interesting, and the goals set by that team are very appealing.

Of course nothing can be built from scratch in a week, ... [/Q --end MrFlibble wrote--] Hello there. This is gene/Sebastian from oregami.

Well, this is a very sad and a very strange situation here at MG. I really can't understand how it came to that: It's a great site and a great community. How could they (GameFly) let you down as they did?

An "interesting" effect of the current MG situation is that some people - including you in this thread - are having a look at our ideas at oregami.org. Jens/Mz per x, "former" active user/contributor of MG, had the idea for our project about two and a half years ago - you might guess why. Oregami aims to become an open, non-profit game database. We want to prevent that a similar situation can happen to oregami - take a look at our home page for details.

You ask for special features? We will have them, if the oregami community implements them :-) So if you like the idea help to extend the oregami copmmunity - discuss with us in our forums (even if you are no developer: share your ideas and wishes with us!). Nearly all sub boards are in German, but we have a place for english discussions as well. Our wiki, which contains all results of our discussions, is in english language as well. Being available in multiple languages from the start on is one of our main goals for our online game database.

Thanks for reading!

Indra was here (20755) on 9/20/2013 10:22 PM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start The Last Approver wrote--]We have, there's a promising project at oregami.org [/Q --end The Last Approver wrote--]Our of our guys is moderating there. Some of the Europeans here have moved on over there. If the Europeans are doing it, we'll probably follow suit in a few months/years, depending how crazy they are. As Fred the Last Approver said, how similar it is to MG...for nostalgic purposes.

Personally, I hope they'll implement a points system. I do like character development features.

Ƒreddƴ (5833) on 9/20/2013 10:41 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

I want achievements, awards, badges and every now and then unlock a new feature. Just to make the grind worth it. And who ever steals the most content from moby gets the giant bomb achievement

Fred VT (25953) on 9/20/2013 11:19 PM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start I blame Greg Mueller wrote--]I want achievements, awards, badges and every now and then unlock a new feature. Just to make the grind worth it. And who ever steals the most content from moby gets the giant bomb achievement [/Q --end I blame Greg Mueller wrote--]

Me too! Let's propose that!

Katakis | カタキス (43091) on 9/21/2013 7:08 AM · Permalink · Report

If anyone wishes to contact me, it's [email protected] I'm also on Skype: gmpet1

I was considering waiting a month to see if this pathetic state this site has no become gets cleaned up, but I guess I can't wait that long. My last approved item was my KQ3 walkthrough, and I'm in the process of writing one for KQ4.

So, as a fuck you to GameFly, I will be whipping back all my reviews/walkthroughs and then re-submitting them to GameFAQs. I also have an account on retrogamer.net where I have already submitted quite a few entries and commented on others.

GAMEBOY COLOR! (1990) on 9/23/2013 1:13 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

I can't believe I'm saying this, but if everybody is moving on, I don't see much point in hanging around anymore either. Moby has been a huge part of my life since I was 17, and I find it hard to let go. I might not have always contributed or chatted up the forums lately, but I came here almost everyday. It's had no small part in shaping who I am today. The people here really made me realize all sorts of things about the world, and I've never had more engaging, interesting and fun conversations than I've had here. Tonight I'm collecting all my PMs and favorite threads in text. And putting them on floppy disk, as per my usual style. :P I just want to say thanks to everybody here.

Edit- Here's the song that ran through my mind as I typed that. I'm still a bit melodramatic.

Daniel Saner (3503) on 9/23/2013 1:49 PM · Permalink · Report

How can you collect your PMs? I still haven't found a way to access my inbox.

GAMEBOY COLOR! (1990) on 9/24/2013 3:46 AM · Permalink · Report

I think it's messages on your page. Also, HOLY GAME BOYS THERE WERE TONS OF COOL THREADS ON MOBY I FORGOT ABOUT! I'll probably stick around for another week just to archive these.

Indra was here (20755) on 9/23/2013 6:14 PM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start DANIEL HAWKS ! wrote--]And putting them on floppy disk... [/Q --end DANIEL HAWKS ! wrote--]Good lord, which part of rural America are you exactly in, mate? o_O

GAMEBOY COLOR! (1990) on 9/24/2013 2:57 AM · Permalink · Report

In the hillbilly paradise know as West Virginia! We have pretty mountains. And meth. Oh so much meth. I actually started that little floppy archive a few years ago, but never got around to actually finishing it. I also just like floppies. I finally have a excuse to use them!

Slug Camargo (583) on 9/24/2013 4:05 AM · Permalink · Report

I like how this avatar has been slowly going downhill. If nothing else, this whole clusterfuck sure did give birth to some admittedly retarded but still funny comedy pieces XD

GAMEBOY COLOR! (1990) on 9/24/2013 4:11 AM · Permalink · Report

So since it seems nobody can into email anymore, how in the heck do I use this google+ thing?

MrFlibble (18234) on 9/24/2013 2:54 PM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start DANIEL HAWKS ! wrote--]So since it seems nobody can into email anymore, how in the heck do I use this google+ thing? [/Q --end DANIEL HAWKS ! wrote--] Well, I am totally into e-mail and do not use anything like Facebook or Google+. I am unwilling to post my email in public though, even with precautions against e-mail address tracking bots.

BTW, may I invite those of you who are into 90s PC gaming (DOS in particular) to these forums: DOS Games Discussion and RGB Classic Games Forum.

Also I'd like to point out that the admin of RGB Classic Games who had so far been developing his website solo intends to add support for user-contributed games in near future. Contributors from MobyGames would be more than welcome :)

Somebody bring me Sisko! (8) on 9/23/2013 11:18 PM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start DANIEL HAWKS ! wrote--]It's had no small part in shaping who I am today.[/Q --end DANIEL HAWKS ! wrote--] Amen.

Adzuken (836) on 9/25/2013 3:35 AM · Permalink · Report

Easiest place to find me will be on Steam. Though, chances are, if you see an Adzuken out in the wild, it's me. I don't think there are any others.

I wonder, should we rename the MobyGames Steam group to something more appropriate?

Indra was here (20755) on 9/25/2013 4:03 AM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Adzuken wrote--]I wonder, should we rename the MobyGames Steam group to something more appropriate? [/Q --end Adzuken wrote--]MG Troll Pub. Yay!

piltdown_man (236159) on 10/2/2013 9:15 PM · Permalink · Report

Passing on e-mails like this really brings home the fact that the community is very sick indeed. I think it's getting noticed too - has the 'Alternatives to moby games' forum / thread thing been deleted or is it just obscured by another bug?

If anyone wants to keep in touch I can be found as Piltdown_Man on VGG, UVList and TheLegacy. I've even signed up to Facebuk so I can lurk on the Troll Pub. If that doesn't work for you then there's always direct mail to [email protected].

Indra was here (20755) on 10/2/2013 9:23 PM · Permalink · Report

Don't forget to say high in the pub. I still have no idea who a third of the people lurking there are. :p

piltdown_man (236159) on 10/2/2013 10:09 PM · Permalink · Report

I'm there now, you just approved me

Foxhack (32100) on 10/2/2013 9:28 PM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start piltdown_man wrote--]Passing on e-mails like this really brings home the fact that the community is very sick indeed. I think it's getting noticed too - has the 'Alternatives to moby games' forum / thread thing been deleted or is it just obscured by another bug?

If anyone wants to keep in touch I can be found as Piltdown_Man on VGG, UVList and TheLegacy. I've even signed up to Facebuk so I can lurk on the Troll Pub. If that doesn't work for you then there's always direct mail to [email protected]. [/Q --end piltdown_man wrote--]

It's not deleted. It's just that the forum sucks.

http://www.mobygames.com/forums/dga,2/dgb,4/dgm,181740/