🕹️ New release: Lunar Lander Beyond

Forums > MobyGames > Credits...

DreinIX (10446) on 3/22/2008 3:17 AM · Permalink · Report

I had a suggestion for making credits an easier job (and less time consuming) but for a certain reason I didn't want to share it with you (I'm so selfish). Well, the reason is gone now so I might as well say it. My last credits submission took me too many hours and that many hours where just for adding the names/jobs. Of course after that you have to add the classifications which can be pretty frustrating. I get headaches just thinking about it. So, can there be a database with every title and the appropriate classification next to it that will be added automatically when the contributor adds a matching title? For example if there is on the database the title "Marketing Director" and it has this as a classification: "Marketing : Director" when the contributor inputs Marketing Director the classification will be added automatically and won't require for him/her to do this manually. And if there's no matching title in the database then the contributor will have to choose a classification that will be later checked by the approver. Also because there could be a problem with multiple classifications matching to the same title then the contributor should be given an option to choose which one to input. Like when there are multiple matching names.

Something like that will save time and allow people to keep part of their sanity when entering credits (maybe even attract people to this area) and I really can't imagine why none has mentioned something similar (or did they?).

Pseudo_Intellectual (66362) on 3/22/2008 3:28 AM · Permalink · Report

They did.

DreinIX (10446) on 3/22/2008 3:36 AM · Permalink · Report

And what happened?

Pseudo_Intellectual (66362) on 3/22/2008 6:19 AM · Permalink · Report

As you can see, the status quo was maintained.

DreinIX (10446) on 3/22/2008 12:47 PM · Permalink · Report

I can see that but I can't see if someone is working on it or not and if not, why? Where there any problems along the way?

Xoleras (66141) on 3/22/2008 1:30 PM · Permalink · Report

You mean besides that the feature-to-do-list is a mile long and twice that wide? ;-)

DreinIX (10446) on 3/22/2008 1:55 PM · Permalink · Report

Yeah, I meant apart from that.

Can it at least be done in a way that every time someone's credits are approved the titles-classifications are stored somewhere automatically and then if someone contributes credits that among them are titles that match then it happens what I said above? None will have to make the long list then. But is that possible?

DJP Mom (11333) on 4/3/2008 1:57 AM · Permalink · Report

This is a bit off-topic, but if anyone is interested in seeing all those credits classifications in a flat view, they're here at Google Docs. I find it easier sometimes when I'm stumped about assigning a classification to page through a printout rather than hunting through a drop-down box. Yeah, I know - get a life :)

Ben K (23952) on 4/13/2008 1:19 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

And while we're on the topic of credits...

If you're interested in a load of credits to bump up your contribution points, you might want to go for the Xbox 360 version of Sega Superstars Tennis. UK Resistance has kindly screencapped every credit screen in the game in a delightfully obsessive manner, and you can click on each image for a higher res version. So they've basically done half of the work for you.

Enjoy. =)

Foxhack (32100) on 4/13/2008 2:35 PM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Ben K wrote--]And while we're on the topic of credits...

If you're interested in a load of credits to bump up your contribution points, you might want to go for the Xbox 360 version of Sega Superstars Tennis. UK Resistance has kindly screencapped every credit screen in the game in a delightfully obsessive manner, and you can click on each image for a higher res version. So they've basically done half of the work for you.

Enjoy. =) [/Q --end Ben K wrote--]WARGH. Why didn't I see this earlier?

Sciere (930490) on 4/13/2008 3:15 PM · Permalink · Report

Notice my comment verifying the platform =)

DreinIX (10446) on 4/13/2008 4:34 PM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Ben K wrote--] So they've basically done half of the work for you. [/Q --end Ben K wrote--] Here as well, although you have to be patient cause not all manuals have credits.

DJP Mom (11333) on 4/13/2008 5:09 PM · Permalink · Report

Is replacementdocs a members-only site? It won't ever load, for me.

Foxhack (32100) on 4/13/2008 5:22 PM · Permalink · Report

It's not, Mom. I have no issues getting into the site.

DJP Mom (11333) on 4/13/2008 5:32 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Kitsune Sniper wrote--]It's not, Mom. I have no issues getting into the site. [/Q --end Kitsune Sniper wrote--] Hmm. It doesn't even try to load, for me - I just get a white page.

Edit - and when I try it with IE it says the website declines to show the page :( Er, I don't think I ever did anything bad to them, considering I've never been able to access the site :P Or maybe I visited once, long ago, but I certainly never did anything bad!

DreinIX (10446) on 4/13/2008 5:44 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

Maybe they're allergic to cats...

...or flowers...

DreinIX (10446) on 4/13/2008 5:25 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

No it isn't. But I believe I noticed a slow loading speed when I tried to check the contents of the site.

Edit (sooo late)

Steely Gaze (208) on 4/13/2008 6:05 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

Do you have the newest version of Firefox? I never had any problems with the site. It is a pretty good place for finding old docs, especially if I pick up a game at a yard sale or two without the manual.

DJP Mom (11333) on 4/13/2008 6:19 PM · Permalink · Report

I have the latest FireFox. It looks like I'm actually blocked, for some reason. I'll try from the library tomorrow.

DJP Mom (11333) on 4/14/2008 9:26 PM · Permalink · Report

No problem getting into replacementdocs from work - I even created an account - still can't get in from home. Must have my IP blocked. I feel like a criminal! sniff

Ben K (23952) on 4/14/2008 11:39 AM · edited · Permalink · Report

"Here as well, although you have to be patient cause not all manuals have credits."

Yeah, Sega Superstars Tennis is one of those.

Stupid posting system that doesn't put my reply under yours! BLARG

DreinIX (10446) on 4/16/2008 10:47 AM · Permalink · Report

If the credits read "Producer, Art and Design" for the same person do I add it separately like this?
Producer: X
Art and Design: X
Or is there a classification that could apply to it the way it is?

Ben K (23952) on 4/16/2008 11:02 AM · Permalink · Report

Separate credit for each. You'd probably split them into three. One for production, one for art, and one for design. A lot of old games had one or two people doing sharing the work between them.

DreinIX (10446) on 4/16/2008 11:13 AM · Permalink · Report

Thanks

DreinIX (10446) on 5/2/2008 4:19 PM · Permalink · Report

Anyone with an idea on how to add this?

St. Martyne (3648) on 5/2/2008 4:50 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

Historic Cars on the left with full text on the right added as non-entity. Just omit the comas in text and place them between companies, like this:

"Renault" is a trademark of and is used with permission from F1 Team , The Williams name Williams logo and the Williams... so on.

Later label it as Company/Other or something like that.

Oh, and copyright symbol is Alt+0169, or (if you're using a wrong OS) you can copy paste mine. ©

DreinIX (10446) on 5/2/2008 6:06 PM · Permalink · Report

Just finished it. Thanks. You were quite helpful (and specific). The next thing after that would be to add them for me - lol.

Игги Друге (46653) on 5/2/2008 9:56 PM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start St_Martyne wrote--]Oh, and copyright symbol is Alt+0169, or (if you're using a wrong OS) you can copy paste mine. © [/Q --end St_Martyne wrote--] It's alt+1.

St. Martyne (3648) on 5/2/2008 10:15 PM · Permalink · Report

Not under Windows XP. Alt Table For ASCII characters

Alt+1 is a smile ☺.

Alt+0169 is ©.

Игги Друге (46653) on 5/2/2008 11:35 PM · Permalink · Report

Ah, you were using Windows.

Shoddyan (15004) on 6/4/2008 8:33 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

[Q --start DreinIX wrote--] So, can there be a database with every title and the appropriate classification next to it that will be added automatically when the contributor adds a matching title? For example if there is on the database the title "Marketing Director" and it has this as a classification: "Marketing : Director" when the contributor inputs Marketing Director the classification will be added automatically and won't require for him/her to do this manually. And if there's no matching title in the database then the contributor will have to choose a classification that will be later checked by the approver. Also because there could be a problem with multiple classifications matching to the same title then the contributor should be given an option to choose which one to input. Like when there are multiple matching names. [/Q --end DreinIX wrote--]

Were we ever to implement something like this, I'd strongly recommend changing "added automatically" to "suggested to the user". There's a lot of different titles developers give themselves and sometimes they don't mean what you think it means or aren't used properly or etc. I'm just of the opinion that "automatically" and outside the control of the user leads to mistakes (including some of the features already implemented).

But in terms of credits... Let's take for example something easy like someone being credited as "Director"... well, in terms of a specific department within the company that means one thing, in terms of the design team that means another thing and in term of FMVs and live acting in video... that means yet another thing.