🕹️ New release: Lunar Lander Beyond

Forums > MobyGames > Idea for a game group

Alaka (106107) on 5/22/2008 12:01 AM · Permalink · Report

If I recall right, in Suikoden II if you had a saved game from the previous iteration it let you load it and a certain event would happen in the game that wouldn't happen if you didn't. Also. Arc the Lad II let you upload your save from Arc I and let you play with your leveled up characters. Would some type of saved game transferable group be a good idea?

Pseudo_Intellectual (66362) on 5/22/2008 12:17 AM · Permalink · Report

I see that as trivia at best.

Dae (7182) on 5/22/2008 3:30 PM · Permalink · Report

There are quite a few of games like this, so it would stress the server more having to write few paragraphs of text instead just adding the game to an existing group.

Metal Gear Solid also has it, if you happen to have a Castlevania: Symphony of the Night savegame on your memory card.

Игги Друге (46653) on 5/22/2008 5:55 PM · Permalink · Report

Then there is also the MSX case, where plugging in two Konami games at once will often reveal hidden characters and cheats – a bit like Sonic & Knuckles did later on.

Alaka (106107) on 5/23/2008 12:45 AM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Daedolon wrote--]There are quite a few of games like this, so it would stress the server more having to write few paragraphs of text instead just adding the game to an existing group.

Metal Gear Solid also has it, if you happen to have a Castlevania: Symphony of the Night savegame on your memory card. [/Q --end Daedolon wrote--]

I think a Suikoden saved game also worked with MGS.

Also, the recent EA Sports game that use EA bio unlock game elements when you reach a certain level I think, even though you may not need other games to reach higher levels. I'm not too certain of EA bio's mechanics.

An article sounds like a neat idea if a game group would be too hard to implement.

Shoddyan (15004) on 6/4/2008 6:11 PM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Pseudo_Intellectual wrote--]I see that as trivia at best. [/Q --end Pseudo_Intellectual wrote--]

I've always been adding it to the Tech Specs/Tech Info section of the gamesheet... in that nice form box marked "notes". Here's one example and here's another.

Terrence Bosky (5397) on 5/22/2008 2:08 PM · Permalink · Report

Silent Hill 3 has a surprise for people with a Silent Hill 2 saved game file and Vegas 2 rewards people who played Rainbow Six: Vegas.

I like the idea of collecting games like this -- it's almost like listing movies where it's worth staying through the credits. Are there enough to make this game group worthy? And is there a good way to describe this? Maybe a featured article on this would be better.

Depeche Mike (17455) on 5/22/2008 2:40 PM · Permalink · Report

I kinda like this too... It'd definitely be an incentive to buy the 2nd game...

St. Martyne (3648) on 5/22/2008 4:17 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

Wizardry 8 started differently if you import your character party from Wizardry 7.

Игги Друге (46653) on 5/22/2008 5:56 PM · Permalink · Report

And all the SSI games allowed you to import parties from earlier games.

St. Martyne (3648) on 5/22/2008 7:39 PM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Игги Друге wrote--]And all the SSI games allowed you to import parties from earlier games. [/Q --end Игги Друге wrote--]

Well, many games did allow that. I think the key point here is whether the game offers any additional content for doing so.

Игги Друге (46653) on 5/22/2008 5:53 PM · Permalink · Report

It happens in some Wonderswan games as well, but I think we have a tech spec for it on that platform. We should have.

Indra was here (20755) on 5/23/2008 7:06 PM · Permalink · Report

Does this include importing your character from another game? i.e. QFG I --> QFG II

or is this something entirely different?