🕹️ New release: Lunar Lander Beyond

Forums > MobyGames > New title format, the?

Pseudo_Intellectual (66362) on 12/8/2008 5:57 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

After submitting an awesome new indie adventure game, the approver noted could I please

add it next time as "Strange and Somewhat Sinister Tale of the House at Desert Bridge, The"
I've previously had happily accepted some 27 other games with names beginning with "The" and submitted that way with nary a peep. Have I been inadvertently flouting policy and convention here all this time (as opposed to my intentional acts of deliberate rebellion, which are filed separately 8), or is it a new policy, or is it one approver's preference masquerading as policy?

Klaster_1 (57612) on 12/8/2008 6:24 PM · Permalink · Report

So, MG now will now have ", The" too? Should we contribute thousands of name corrections?

chirinea (47495) on 12/8/2008 6:29 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

All our "The Blablah" games are entered as "Blablah, The". The thing is that Rob fixes manually every single entry that is approved. The system doesn't show it as "Blablah, The", but that's how they are registered (have you noticed that all "The" games are ordered in our game browser by its second word?). If you write your title that way before submitting, you're making Rob's life less miserable.

Xoleras (66141) on 12/8/2008 6:35 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

Exactly. ;)

Just take a look:

The Lord of the Rings: bla blub (almost all) is between Loonyland: Halloween Hill and Lord of the Shades, because of Lord

But The Lord of the Rings Online: Mines of Moria is between The Infinity String and The Magic School Bus Explores Bugs, because of the The

chirinea (47495) on 12/8/2008 6:37 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

Approvers would like to read this to clear things up.

Edit: heh, Pseudo even participated in that thread. =)

Pseudo_Intellectual (66362) on 12/8/2008 6:59 PM · Permalink · Report

In conclusion, we don't have to, but it's helpful to do so, and also I have a memory like a swiss cheese.

Corn Popper (69027) on 12/8/2008 6:39 PM · Permalink · Report

Yes, I routinely go through all the new game additions with the word The in the title and normally get them quickly, but if you submit it as blah, The it sort of makes it easier... I'll check it anyways.

Most of the games in the system are already changed over. I check from time to time in the major game list for any that have gotten by.

Xoleras (66141) on 12/8/2008 6:57 PM · Permalink · Report

I know this is only implemented for the English article(s), but is it only used for The or also for A?

Corn Popper (69027) on 12/8/2008 7:07 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

A, An, and The should be set this way

Don't put corrections in for these... I'll go through them

DJP Mom (11333) on 12/9/2008 12:24 AM · Permalink · Report

Just like the library - we drop the article for foreign titles, too, cataloguing under the second word instead of le and les and die and el etc. I've completely forgotten about that for every game I entered here, though, sorry!

Wizo (28758) on 12/9/2008 10:05 PM · Permalink · Report

Slightly related to the topic: When approving games and alternate titles the third dot of the Standards should be kept in mind.