🕹️ New release: Lunar Lander Beyond

Forums > Game Talk > Ouch

Maw (832) on 2/22/2007 8:53 PM · Permalink · Report

Some of you might have seen this on Kotaku. The Painstation is a pong console that allows you to inflict actual pain on your opponant when he loses.

"In the original PC game, missing the ball resulted in nothing worse than a moment's frustration and perhaps a well-chosen expletive. In this revamped version, missing the ball is not only annoying, it is also very painful...Randomly arranged along both sides of the playing field are Pain Inflictor Symbols, each representing a different sort of pain. Depending where the ball hits, the player will feel sensations such as heat, punches and electroshocks of varying duration delivered through the PEU."

"The game ends only when one of the players decides that the pain is too much to bear and lifts a hand off the PEU. All of which sounds straightforward, but in truth games often continue long past the point where common sense has given way to stubborn machismo."

"When you're playing in public against a friend with people cheering you on, it's very hard to throw in the towel without putting up a good fight. I've seen people leave the table with blood on their hands and their skin completely raw because they didn't want to back down in front of an audience."

And all people seem to care about is possible copyright infringement. WTF? :S

D Michael (222) on 2/22/2007 9:52 PM · Permalink · Report

Hehe, I always thought pain games were an interesting idea.

I know that there is some 70s Bond film that features such a game. Even better, there was a section on G4TV's dark tips that showed you exactly how to make an Xbox controller shock you with 40,000 volts. You could use it in fighting games that caused a rumble when you were hit, thereby delivering the juice to you. They had some forums up on it and people were saying that it worked too well.

Riamus (8480) on 2/22/2007 11:25 PM · Permalink · Report

Heh. Have you ever been to a fair that had one of those twisted metal rods that rotated slowly and you had to hold a short rod with a ring on the end and move it from the bottom to the top of the twisted and slowly rotating rod (or top to bottom) without touching it in order to win? We made one where the short rod you held in your hand would shock you if you touched the ring to the twisted rod. We cranked the voltage up to around 1200V (nothing like 40k, but it was still a good hit). That shock across the palm of your hand definitely got your attention. Of course, the amperage was low enough to prevent any injuries. And this was in school with the teacher looking on and thinking it was a good project! :D

Matt Neuteboom (976) on 2/23/2007 3:10 AM · Permalink · Report

IT would be interesting if they put that into an FPS game. Wherever you got shot, you'd feel a twinge of pain on your body. Tons of gamers would have to rethink their "rush strategy" and would really make players think about the true consequences of their actions.

And think of all the lawsuits people would be filing. >:-D

Riamus (8480) on 2/24/2007 12:07 AM · Permalink · Report

True Virtual Reality! :D

I'd play games with a full VR suit if they were made well... even with experiencing physical pain (limited of course).

Игги Друге (46653) on 2/24/2007 10:58 PM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Matt Neuteboom wrote--]IT would be interesting if they put that into an FPS game. Wherever you got shot, you'd feel a twinge of pain on your body. Tons of gamers would have to rethink their "rush strategy" and would really make players think about the true consequences of their actions. [/Q --end Matt Neuteboom wrote--]

If the players are supposed to think about the true consequences of their actions, the system would have to make them feel a twinge of guilt for hurting someone else.

General Error (4329) on 3/5/2007 12:44 PM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start D Michael wrote--]I know that there is some 70s Bond film that features such a game.[/Q --end D Michael wrote--]

Year, I remember! Does anyone know which one it was?

Terok Nor (42013) on 3/5/2007 12:54 PM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start General Error wrote--] Year, I remember! Does anyone know which one it was? [/Q --end General Error wrote--]

Should be Never Say Never Again. Sean Connery vs. Klaus Maria Brandauer.

Shoddyan (15004) on 2/23/2007 3:48 AM · edited · Permalink · Report

Not entirely the same thing, but there used to be a periphial sold for consoles (I seem to remember it in the Street Fighter 2 era... SNES/Genesis/TG-16) that let players "feel the game". It did this by basically putting a wearable subwoofer onto a vest that the player wore. Thus there would be bass vibrations from every sound effect the game gave off (which presumably includes the standard "pow", "ha" and "thonk" effects of beat-em-ups)

Update: It might have been the Aura Interactor Vest based on googling.

Maw (832) on 2/24/2007 1:02 AM · Permalink · Report

[quote]IT would be interesting if they put that into an FPS game. Wherever you got shot, you'd feel a twinge of pain on your body. Tons of gamers would have to rethink their "rush strategy" and would really make players think about the true consequences of their actions.[/quote]

Hey, lots of FPS games incorporate groin shots. It would be the next logical step.

NatsFan (68) on 2/24/2007 8:32 PM · Permalink · Report

That may be the dumbest concept I've ever heard of.

nullnullnull (1463) on 2/25/2007 2:27 PM · Permalink · Report

Awesome. I wanna play.

Indra was here (20755) on 3/6/2007 12:05 AM · Permalink · Report

Better 10x physical pain than 1x emotional pain.

Unicorn Lynx (181775) on 3/6/2007 1:41 AM · Permalink · Report

I don't think so... I'd rather have an unhappy love affair than my tooth pulled out :)

Riamus (8480) on 3/8/2007 12:38 AM · Permalink · Report

Heh... had both, prefer the tooth. :D

Unicorn Lynx (181775) on 3/8/2007 4:06 AM · Permalink · Report

But you know what, love affairs, even unsuccessful, leave you a bittersweet memory once enough time has passed. But what is left after a tooth has been pulled out? A hole :)

Maw (832) on 3/8/2007 5:45 AM · Permalink · Report

Going through intense physicial suffering = people think you're a hero.
Going through intense emotional suffering = people think you've become emo and lose respect for you.

Zovni (10504) on 3/8/2007 1:40 PM · Permalink · Report

Lol, that is pretty accurate!

Riamus (8480) on 3/8/2007 2:29 PM · Permalink · Report

Funny. :)

Tooth being pulled - pain/discomfort lasts days Relationship problems - it lasts months/years depending on various factors

Sure, you have a hole in your mouth, but it does fill in eventually. I had a tooth pulled 4 or 5 months ago and the hole is basically gone, though there is a bit of an indent left.

The Fabulous King (1332) on 3/23/2007 2:44 PM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Indra Depari of the Clan Depari wrote--]Better 10x physical pain than 1x emotional pain. [/Q --end Indra Depari of the Clan Depari wrote--] Erm... I dont think so. I would take emotional pain anyday instead of physical pain. Sure my soul is a mess and yadda-yadda but souls can be healed. Become a drug addict, develop imaginary sex-friends, find God and start preaching... there are so many ways to heal a soul. But if I would be raped by some guy called Bubba or someone would cut my legs and hands off... thats not something you`d recover from as easily as from a broken relationship or psychological torture.

Игги Друге (46653) on 3/23/2007 7:46 PM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Winterwolf wrote--] But if I would be raped by some guy called Bubba or someone would cut my legs and hands off... thats not something youd recover from as easily as from a broken relationship or psychological torture. [/Q --end Winterwolf wrote--] Actually, being raped by Bubba wouldn't be so bad if it was merely physical. It can't hurt for so many days.

Riamus (8480) on 3/23/2007 10:01 PM · Permalink · Report

Yeah, that isn't just physical pain. It's also (more so) emotional pain. Purely physical pain tends to be easier to deal with than purely emotional pain... and the combination tends to be the worst.

The Fabulous King (1332) on 3/24/2007 2:23 AM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Riamus wrote--]Yeah, that isn't just physical pain. It's also (more so) emotional pain. Purely physical pain tends to be easier to deal with than purely emotional pain... and the combination tends to be the worst. [/Q --end Riamus wrote--] Yeah, I see what you mean. It`s the combination I am actually afraid of. But still I think I prefer being mocked and publicly humiliated to my tooth being pulled out.

Marko Poutiainen (1151) on 3/24/2007 12:03 PM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Winterwolf wrote--] [/Q2 --end Riamus wrote--] Yeah, I see what you mean. It`s the combination I am actually afraid of. But still I think I prefer being mocked and publicly humiliated to my tooth being pulled out.[/Q --end Winterwolf wrote--] Yep.

I wonder, how many of those who think physical pain is better than emotional have suffered REALLY bad physical pain? You should probably ask people who suffer from continuous pains or, say, cancer if they'd rather suffer emotionally.

Unicorn Lynx (181775) on 3/24/2007 2:01 PM · Permalink · Report

That's just what I meant.

Indra was here (20755) on 3/24/2007 3:34 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

Dunno. By the way I'm smoking, I should have terminal cancer by now. At least all these sudden spasms are a bitch.

DJP Mom (11333) on 3/24/2007 4:29 PM · Permalink · Report

Dunno. By the way I'm smoking, I should have terminal cancer by now. At least all these sudden spasms are a bitch.

Pleeeez Indra, quit smoking before you find out the hard way! (I promise that will be my only anti-smoking pitch...)

chirinea (47495) on 3/24/2007 5:39 PM · Permalink · Report

You better listen to your Mom, Indra! =P

Indra was here (20755) on 3/24/2007 7:22 PM · Permalink · Report

Well, I don't plan to live that long. I'm aiming 35.

DJP Mom (11333) on 3/24/2007 7:49 PM · Permalink · Report

"Well, I don't plan to live that long. I'm aiming 35."

Jeez, I hope you're joking - I can't tell today, think my humor-meter is broken.

Indra was here (20755) on 3/24/2007 7:53 PM · Permalink · Report

Nope. When I'm joking, I usually use a :) symbol.

Marko Poutiainen (1151) on 3/24/2007 9:42 PM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Indra Depari of the Clan Depari wrote--]Well, I don't plan to live that long. I'm aiming 35. [/Q --end Indra Depari of the Clan Depari wrote--] I urge you to reconsider. I'll turn 35 in the autumn and I can tell you I'd feel a bit disappointed if I kicked the bucket in six months' time.

DJP Mom (11333) on 3/24/2007 9:48 PM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Indra Depari of the Clan Depari wrote--]Well, I don't plan to live that long. I'm aiming 35. [/Q --end Indra Depari of the Clan Depari wrote--]

Игги Друге (46653) on 3/24/2007 10:10 PM · Permalink · Report

I wouldn't go as far as suggesting giving up smoking entirely – after all, it's a pleasurable hobby – but going down to 20 fags a day is quite feasible and will make the rest of your life better. Smoking won't necessarily kill you, but too much of it will make you wish it did.

Unicorn Lynx (181775) on 3/25/2007 2:31 AM · edited · Permalink · Report

I've never met a smoker who listened to those who told him to quit smoking or at least to smoke less. They all say "Yes, I know it's bad for health, you're right", and continued. It's useless.

I never smoked even one cigarette in my life. Don't see what's so appealing about those stinkers ...

Indra was here (20755) on 3/25/2007 9:36 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

It's an addictive drug. Better not try it in the first place. Any smoker that doesn't realize the consequence of smoking or smokers that keep saying they'll quit smoking are idiots. And I really hate casual smokers.

DJP Mom (11333) on 3/25/2007 11:42 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

Well, it is possible to quit, it's just really unpleasant. I had panic attacks & deep dark depressions & ate millions of lemon drops & went through a fortune in patches. Three times. That was a couple of years ago. I still have nicotine cravings every once in a while, but not in an overwhelming way - I can pass the corner store without running in for a pack. :-)

Edit - This has gone really off topic, maybe I can bring it back this way: the pain of nicotine withdrawal is well worth going through!

General Error (4329) on 3/27/2007 12:01 AM · Permalink · Report

Smoking is stupid. It's the only drug that don't makes you feel different. It's just bad for your health, that's it. So don't start. I have given up giving it up.

But as I roll my own, I always need a little action to get another smoke, which keeps my cigarettes per day on a manageable level.

Shoddyan (15004) on 3/23/2007 10:43 AM · Permalink · Report

This comic link seems appropriate here.

http://pbfcomics.com/?cid=PBF055AD-Game_System.jpg#124

General Error (4329) on 3/26/2007 1:16 AM · Permalink · Report

Nice comics, original, surreal and funny... you often have to look or think twice. Thanks for the link! I especially like Refridgeron and Magnimus...

Maw (832) on 3/26/2007 6:30 AM · Permalink · Report

"going down to 20 fags a day is quite feasible..."

I love the sexual connotations in statements like that. ;D

lord of daedra (62) on 3/26/2007 5:12 PM · Permalink · Report

lol only a bunch of people with nothing better to do (myself included) would make statements like that :-D

General Error (4329) on 3/26/2007 11:57 PM · Permalink · Report

Moby's getting quite raunchy these last few days. Sexual connotations everywhere! Hey... It's springtime!