🕹️ New release: Lunar Lander Beyond

Forums > Off Topic > STEAMed

Terrence Bosky (5397) on 7/30/2006 1:58 AM · Permalink · Report

So I'm already grumpy from having some dick professor think that I copied huge passages from a book for my MobyGames featured article on Interactive Fiction and then he shrugs off my request to clarify the annotated webliography where he makes that claim (after I e-mail him and tell him that most of the quotes came from e-mail interviews with the book's author).

Then, I really just want to FPS and I have to wait two hours for STEAM to update Sin: Episodes. Why bother buying a hardcopy if you still have to wait for content to download?

Shoddyan (15004) on 7/30/2006 2:42 AM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Terrence Bosky wrote--] Then, I really just want to FPS and I have to wait two hours for STEAM to update Sin: Episodes. Why bother buying a hardcopy if you still have to wait for content to download? [/Q --end Terrence Bosky wrote--]

You should be able to right-click any of the titles listed and tell steam not to keep it up to date. Then you don't have to wait for it. The warning is that you shouldn't do this with anything you're going to be playing multiplayer or you'll (probably) be kicked off the server for having an outdated version.

Ideally this would be up to the player in the first place (Steam: There are 2 updates found, would you like to install?) but on the other hand, I've had plenty of games where it's taken a lot longer just to FIND a patch or to download it from an overloaded server.

nullnullnull (1463) on 7/30/2006 4:34 AM · Permalink · Report

I don't understand. Who cares what a random professor thinks?

Indra was here (20755) on 7/30/2006 8:50 AM · edited · Permalink · Report

[Q --start flipkin wrote--]I don't understand. Who cares what a random professor thinks? [/Q --end flipkin wrote--]

Morons tend to get irritating, even if you're a saint. Thankfully in 3rd world countries, machetes are deemed more useful than words. Ouch. Muahaha.

Terrence Bosky (5397) on 7/30/2006 1:55 PM · Permalink · Report

Because I'm getting to a point where I'm actually trying to do something with my video game writing, I'm probably a little defensive about it. I agree that I shouldn't care about a random professor.

Slug Camargo (583) on 7/30/2006 7:52 AM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Terrence Bosky wrote--]Then, I really just want to FPS and I have to wait two hours for STEAM to update Sin: Episodes. Why bother buying a hardcopy if you still have to wait for content to download? [/Q --end Terrence Bosky wrote--] And to think Sin: Episodes is a real piece of crap of a shooter, so the "fun" for you (As in, the world making fun of you) seems to be far from over, man.

Terrence Bosky (5397) on 7/30/2006 1:57 PM · Permalink · Report

I should know that anything that says "Episode 1" will be crap.

Shoddyan (15004) on 7/30/2006 6:27 PM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Terrence Bosky wrote--]I should know that anything that says "Episode 1" will be crap. [/Q --end Terrence Bosky wrote--]

Please don't jynx my Sam & Max sequel.

Marko Poutiainen (1151) on 7/30/2006 11:05 AM · Permalink · Report

I bought Red Orchestra: Ostfront 41-45 from the store the other day and installed it yesterday. It still updated via Steam for about two hours.. Why can't they make the thing faster? It's not like they are the only website with hight loads in the world, is it? Not to mention that the updates seem absolutely massive every time.

Still waiting for my contribution to be accepted. The annoying thing is I missed the link where I can contribute more stuff at the same time (I've got the covers scanned). Would it be possible to make that link stand out a bit more?

(And no, this is not a complaint about the time it takes to approve the contribution - you seem to have a large amount of contributions to approve already. I just wish I had been able to contribute the covers & one more release date at the same time.)

JPaterson (9502) on 8/2/2006 1:46 AM · Permalink · Report

I don't play Half-Life 2, Counter-Strike, or any other STEAM game online, nor do I care about its updates, so what I do is tell Norton Firewall not to let STEAM connect to the Internet, thereby blocking all incoming and outgoing access to that program.

That way, when I want to play a game, STEAM tries to connect, tells me there is an error five seconds later, asks me if I want to play whatever offline, and loads. Valve really ****ed with the anti-piracy system of STEAM, but it's not impossible to work with.

And here I am, thinking SecureROM was one of the worst. I bought City Life, and took forever to get it working because it said the CD could not be recognized, even in two separate drives, both of which brought up the autorun. And being a Monte Cristo game, I didn't even bother e-mailing support.