Description official descriptions
Paradroid is a top view shoot-em-up set aboard eight large space freighters filled with droids. After going through a storm in space, the rays affected the droids and they malfunctioned and killed the crew.
You now have to destroy all the droids on the fleet of eight ships. You control an "Influence Device" which can temporarily control other droids and use their weapons to destroy the others. When your power is low or your damage is high, you will need to find a power point to recharge or transfer to another droid, or risk losing your Influence Device. The player can also access computers on each deck which provide information on droids, deck plans and an overall ship plan.
Once all of the robots on a level have been defeated the lights are automatically dimmed. The player can then travel to another level using a lift to continue their mission.
Credits (Commodore 64 version)
1001 Video Games
The Commodore 64 version of Paradroid appears in the book 1001 Video Games You Must Play Before You Die by General Editor Tony Mott.
Heavy Metal Paradroid and Competition Edition
For the budget re-release Heavy Metal Paradroid, the playing speed was increased and the scenery made slightly darker. According to Braybrook, it was "Paradroid with Morpheus style graphics." The Competition Edition, which utilizes the same faster routines, but retains the original graphics look was released as part of a compilation with Uridium +.
According to Andrew Braybrook, the game's name is "a play on "PARAnoid anDROID" – everyone's out to get you."
- Commodore Force
- December 1993 (Issue 13) – #92 “Readers' Top 100”
- Commodore Format
- April 1991 (Issue 7) - listed in the A to Z of Classic Games article (Great)
- January 1992 (Issue 16) - Cf's all time Top Ten Essential Mega Games
- November 1994 (Issue 50) – #15 The All-Time Top 50 C64 Games* GameStar (Germany)
- Issue 03/2013 – One of the "Ten Best C64 Games“
- Happy Computer
- 1986 - Runner-up as Action Game of the Year
- Issue 04/1987 - #9 Best Game in 1986 (Readers' Vote)
- Retro Gamer
- October 2004 (Issue #9) – #23 Best Game Of All Time (Readers' Vote)* Zzap!
- January 1990 (Issue 57) – 'The Best Games of the 80's Decade' (Stuart Wynne / Robin Hogg / Phil King)
Related Sites +
Mental Procreation' - working diary by Andrew Braybrook (March 1987)
First in the series of a monthly diary on the making of <moby game="morpheus">Morpheus</moby> in UK magazine Zzap!, includes how the Paradroid variants came about
The Birth of Paradroid
A monthly diary on the making of the game in Zzap! by Andrew Braybrook.
- MobyGames ID: 9272
Know about this game? Add your expertise to help preserve this entry in video game history!
Contributors to this Entry
Game added by necronom.
Antstream added by firefang9212. iPad, iPhone added by Sciere. Wii added by gamewarrior.
Additional contributors: Chentzilla, Patrick Bregger, S Olafsson, FatherJack, 64er.
Game added May 26th, 2003. Last modified February 22nd, 2023.