DescriptionAfter Burner II is an updated re-release of
Despite being called After Burner, most ports to home computers and consoles are based on this version. The NES, Amiga and Commodore 64 received two different ports with significant technical differences. This entry documents the original ports and the second ones can be found under the following entries: NES and Amiga / C64.
- "After Burner Complete" -- Japanese and European 32X title
- "After Burner" -- Amiga / CPC / Atari ST / C64 / DOS / Genesis / MSX / NES / 32X / ZX Spectrum title
- "AB2" -- informal/slang
- "3D After Burner II" -- Nintendo 3DS title
- "アフターバーナーⅡ" -- Japanese spelling
Part of the Following Groups
- After Burner series
- Aircraft: F-14 Tomcat
- Games referenced in movies
- Genre: Chase-view / Space Harrier-style shooter
There are no reviews for this game.
There are no critic reviews for this game.
|Topic||# Posts||Last Post|
|Merge After Burner and After Burner II?||2||Игги Друге (46396)
Mar 17, 2011
Cover artAlthough the aircraft piloted in the game is a variation of F-14 Tomcat, the plane displayed on the North American cover is an F-15 Eagle.
DevelopmentAfter Burner II was originally planned to have a World War II theme and be a realistic flight sim, but the idea was dropped because Yu Suzuki stated that "it would not have fit the arcade scene." A pure dogfighter was not his intention.
References to the gameIn the movie Terminator 2: Judgement Day, John Connor is shown playing After Burner at the arcade at the mall.
ReferencesDuring one of the take-off sequences of the game, you're followed by a small red car. It's the Ferrari from Outrun, another hit arcade game.
ZX Spectrum versionThe ZX Spectrum version of the game has the plane firing its cannon constantly throughout and cannot be switched off. This is due to the fire button being used to fire the missiles.
- Commodore Format
- January 1991 (Issue 4) - listed in the A to Z of Classic Games article (Bad)