Not an American user?
DescriptionNintendogs lets you take care of virtual pets (dogs, obviously) on your Nintendo DS. You can train your puppies by speaking commands into the microphone, pat the pooch with the Stylus, play games like "fetch" with a frisbee, buy toys, food, and accessories, and take part in 3 types of competition to win trophies.
If there are other Nintendo DS users with Nintendogs nearby with both of you in "Bark Mode", you can link the games wirelessly and see your and their dog meeting on both screens.
You initially only have 6 (US/EU), 5 (JP) of the 18 (US/EU), 15 (JP) breeds available when you start playing the game (the six breeds being determined by the version of the game), but as you progress, you unlock more breeds and items to buy. If you connect with another user that has another breed of dog not available to you then their dog's breed will be unlocked for you.
The available versions for purchase are:
- Chihuahua & Friends: Beagle, Cavalier King Charles Spaniel, Chihuahua, Labrador Retriever, Shih Tzu.
- Miniature Dachshund & Friends: German Shepherd, Miniature Dachshund, Miniature Schnauzer, Pug, Yorkshire Terrier.
- Shiba & Friends: Miniature Pinscher, Pembroke Welsh Corgi, Shetland Sheepdog, Shiba Inu, Toy Poodle.
- Chihuahua & Friends: Boxer, Cavalier King Charles Spaniel, Chihuahua, German Shepherd, Shetland Sheepdog, Yorkshire Terrier.
- Dachshund & Friends: Beagle, Golden Retriever, Miniature Dachshund, Pug, Shih Tzu, Siberian Husky.
- Lab & Friends: Labrador Retriever, Miniature Pinscher, Miniature Schnauzer, Pembroke Welsh Corgi, Shiba Inu, Toy Poodle.
- Best Friends Version (North America - bundled with DS): Beagle, German Shepherd, Golden Retriever, Labrador Retriever, Miniature Dachshund, Yorkshire Terrier.
- Dalmatian & Friends: Dalmatian, Boxer, German Shepherd, Golden Retriever, Yorkshire Terrier, Beagle.
- "ニンテンドッグス 柴＆フレンズ" -- Japanese spelling (Shiba & Friends version)
- "任天狗狗" -- iQue - Chinese spelling (simplified)
- "任天狗" -- Chinese spelling (simplified)
- "Rèntiāngǒu Gǒu" -- iQue - Chinese title
- "Puppy Times" -- Working title
- "ニンテンドッグス ダックス＆フレンズ" -- Japanese spelling (Dachs & Friends version)
- "ニンテンドッグス チワワ＆フレンズ" -- Japanese spelling (Chihuahua & Friends version)
- "ニンテンドッグス" -- Japanese spelling
Part of the Following Groups
- Animals: Dogs / Wolves
- Games released as complementary versions
- Genre: Simulation - Pet
- Nintendogs series
- Touch! Generations games
|An Endearingly Clever Pet Simulator.||Guy Chapman (1999)|
|IGN||Aug 19, 2005||8.8 out of 10||88|
|Game Freaks 365||2006||8.5 out of 10||85|
|Diehard GameFan||Sep 06, 2005||8.5 out of 10||85|
|Game Chronicles||Sep 17, 2005||8.3 out of 10||83|
|Jeuxvideo.com||Oct 06, 2005||16 out of 20||80|
|Gamereactor (Sweden)||Oct 04, 2005||8 out of 10||80|
|Sliced Gaming (GameBiz)||Oct 11, 2005||8 out of 10||80|
|Game Informer Magazine||Sep, 2005||8 out of 10||80|
|neXGam||2005||7.5 out of 10||75|
|Video Game Generation||Feb 05, 2005||7.2 out of 10||72|
There are currently no topics for this game.
1001 Video GamesNintendogs appears in the book 1001 Video Games You Must Play Before You Die by General Editor Tony Mott.
References in other gamesThe Nintendogs appear as an assist trophy in the Wii game Super Smash Bros.: Brawl.
SalesAccording to publisher Nintendo, Nintendogs sold 23.96 million copies worldwide (as of September 30, 2015).
- 2005 – Best Simulation of the Year
- 2005 – Best Use of DS Hardware (Chihuahua & Friends version)
- Golden Joystick Awards
- 2006 - Family Game of the Year
- 2006 - Girls' Choice Award
Related Web Sites
- Nintendogs for Nintendo DS (Official website)
EboMike (3120) added Nintendogs (Nintendo DS) on Sep 24, 2005
Credits (96 people)
86 developers, 10 thanks
Michiho Hayashi, Akito Osanai, Kenji Shinmoto, Masaaki Ishikawa, Masanobu Sato, Mieko Ajima, Hideaki TakamuraUI Design: