DescriptionWelcome to San Francisco of the future - a strange megalopolis with a post-apocalyptic feel, where ordinary humans co-exist with mutants - the result of radioactivity. In this city is also the office of Tex Murphy, a lonely private investigator, kind-hearted, yet bitterly ironic. He is hired to investigate the disappearance of a scientist named Thomas Malloy. A series of murders occurs at that time, and before long Tex finds himself involved in a complex conspiracy of political intrigues and shocking scientific discoveries.
The Pandora Directive is a sequel to Under A Killing Moon, utilizing the same 3D engine, real actors, and gameplay system. The player can physically explore the game world, looking at objects from different angles, zooming in, etc. It is necessary to talk to many people about various topics, and also solve some complex puzzles. The game provides a built-in hint system for the puzzles, but the player does not get any points for solving them if he opts to use it.
The game introduces a new gameplay element: Tex has three kinds of answers at his disposal during some important dialogues. Depending on what kind of approach the player chooses for Tex (especially in conversations with his sweetheart Chelsee), subsequent plot events will be influenced, eventually leading to one of the six different endings.
- "Tex Murphy: The Pandora Directive" -- Series title
- "Pandora Device" -- Working title
- "Pandora Akte, Die" -- German title
Part of the Following Groups
- Gameplay feature: Multiple endings
- Games made into books
- Live action cut-scenes
- Protagonist: P.I. (Private Investigator)
- Setting: City - San Francisco
- Tex Murphy series
|PC Player (Denmark)||1996||93 out of 100||93|
|PC Zone||Aug 13, 2001||9.2 out of 10||92|
|Freak||Apr, 1996||91 out of 100||91|
|Gamesmania.de||1996||90 out of 100||90|
|Entertainment Weekly||Aug 16, 1996||B+||83|
|Gameplay (Benelux)||Oct, 1996||82 out of 100||82|
|Meristation||Aug 16, 2001||8 out of 10||80|
|GameSpot||Aug 08, 1996||7.3 out of 10||73|
|PC Player (Germany)||Sep, 1996||60|
|Topic||# Posts||Last Post|
|Entertainment or game players mode?||2||piltdown_man (124808)
Feb 26, 2011
NovelA novelization of the game (as with a later adaptation of the earlier game Under A Killing Moon) was published through the Proteus imprint of Prima Publishing. They were written by Aaron Conners; the TPD novel was first published in August of 1995.
- Computer Gaming World
- May 1997 (Issue #154) – Adventure Game of the Year
Related Web Sites
- Pandora Directive Hints (Great question and answer type hints to help you solve the game at your own pace.)
- Unofficial Tex Murphy Site (Unofficial Tex Murphy: A newly refurbished Tex Site with a message board, a news section, help on all the games, a Fan Fiction/Art section and many more feature. )
- Windows XP Set Up (Inferno's page tells you exactly how to get this game to run in Windows XP)