DescriptionIn his second adventure James Pond must retrieve the toys Dr Maybe has stolen. Pond has been armed with an Inspector Gadget-style stretch device, which he can use to view higher areas or claw onto ceilings so as to slide across them.
The gameplay takes place across worlds themed around particular types of toys, such as sporting goods, candy and aircraft. The levels scroll sideways, although a small amount of vertical movement is included. On each level Pond must collect 2 penguins and reach the exit, although there are usually multiple exits and lots of secret areas to explore. After completing each pair of two worlds (each of which has three sub levels), a boss must be faced.
- "Super James Pond II" -- International SNES title
- "Super James Pond" -- Game Boy/US SNES title
- "RoboCod" -- Official European SEGA Master System abbreviation
- "James Pond II: Codename: RoboCod" -- In-game title
- "James Pond II" -- Japanese Mega Drive title
- "James Pond: Codename: RoboCod" -- European DS title
- "スーパー・ジェームス ポンドII" -- Japanese Super Famicom spelling
- "ジェームス ポンドII" -- Japanese Mega Drive spelling
Part of the Following Groups
|The CD32 has the best version of Robocod||Amiga CD32||Schutzstaffel88 (14)|
|Charismatic, original platform fun with lots of surprises||Amiga||Martin Smith (78)|
|Robocod is a real winner in platform games!||DOS||Accatone (5351)|
|CU Amiga||Amiga||Jul, 1993||90 out of 100||90|
|Amiga Power||Amiga||Nov, 1991||87 out of 100||87|
|ASM (Aktueller Software Markt)||Atari ST||Feb, 1992||10 out of 12||83|
|Pelit||Amiga||May, 1993||81 out of 100||81|
|Amiga Games||Amiga CD32||Jan, 1994||79 out of 100||79|
|PC Games (Germany)||DOS||Aug, 1993||78 out of 100||78|
|Power Play||DOS||Aug, 1993||68 out of 100||68|
|Video Games||SNES||Oct, 1993||66 out of 100||66|
|Electronic Gaming Monthly (EGM)||SNES||Oct, 1993||5 out of 10||50|
|N-Zone||Nintendo DS||Dec 09, 2006||41 out of 100||41|
There are currently no topics for this game.
Cancelled NES versionIn the August 1993 issue of the British videogame magazine Game Zone, a review for the NES version of this game was written. This version of the game was never officially released.
MusicThe title music by Richard Joseph bares much similarity to the theme from RoboCop (the movie). Some notes are changed, and the music is obviously much "cuter", but you can still hear the RoboCop theme in there!
Product placementThe UK release of the game featured considerable product placement from Penguin chocolate biscuits, making it one of the first games to use this form of marketing (Zool is another famous example from this era).
- Commodore Format
- July 1993 (Issue 34) - Modern Classics: Platformers (Check 'em out)
- November 1994 (Issue 50) – #14 The All-Time Top 50 C64 Games
- Retro Gamer
- September 2004 (Issue #8) – #67 Best Game Of All Time (Readers' Vote)
- ST Format
- January 1993 (issue #42) - #17 in '50 finest Atari ST games of all time' list
Related Web Sites
- Wikipedia: James Pond 2 (article in the open encyclopedia about the game)