Not an American user?
DescriptionAfter the Stranger has rescued Atrus, the master of "linking books", from the imprisonment caused by his sons, a new task awaits the hero. Atrus's wife, Catherine, has been taken by Gehn, his own father. Gehn has appointed himself as the one to rule the Age of Riven, and has driven his world to collapse. Now he holds Catherine hostage on Riven, hoping that his son will restore the book link to the Age and free him from there. The Stranger is requested by Atrus to travel to Riven and find a way to rescue Catherine.
Riven is a sequel to Myst, and is very similar to its predecessor in gameplay style, controls, and visual presentation. The game world is presented as a series of computer-generated still screens; the player explores it in a point-and-click fashion. Interaction with the environment is possible only when said environment is highlighted as a "hot spot", and is also performed by simple clicking. Like its predecessor, Riven is heavy on puzzles, which rarely include using inventory items, but usually involve understanding and manipulating the complex environments and machinery of the game world.
- "迷霧之島II" -- Chinese spelling (traditional)
- "Riven: La Suite De Myst" -- French title
- "Riven: Il Seguito Di Myst" -- Italian title
- "Riven: A Sequência de Myst" -- Brazilian title
- "Myst 2" -- Informal name
- "リヴン ザ シークェル トゥー ミスト" -- Japanese spelling
Part of the Following Groups
|Ahhh Riven. How I long to re-visit thy beautiful cyan sky||Windows||Tal Cohen (35)|
|The most difficult game of the trilogy... But oh, so rewarding!||Windows||Dave Schenet (130)|
|Myst times 5.....||Windows||Chris Martin (1112)|
|Let's get sucked up by a world so beautiful, it's creepy.||Windows||Rensch (203)|
|A wonderful game that should be in every gamers shelf||Windows||Djinn (21)|
|an amazing game that kept me up at night wondering.||Windows||Herschel Hoffman (8)|
|Belongs in any adventure gamer's permanent library||Windows||jo h. (5)|
|RIVEN / I'm sure, this is the place were I came from! RIVEN IS HOME!||PlayStation||Dani Mittler-Coe (3)|
|Better than Myst (but still the same anyway)||PlayStation||Grant McLellan (545)|
The Press Says
|Game Revolution||Windows||May 06, 2004||A||100|
|Jeuxvideo.com||Windows||Mar 04, 2011||19 out of 20||95|
|Jeuxvideo.com||Macintosh||Mar 04, 2011||19 out of 20||95|
|Just Games Retro||Windows||Apr 11, 2004||94 out of 100||94|
|Adventure Gamers||Windows||May 20, 2002||90|
|JeuxVideoPC.com||Windows||May 06, 2006||18 out of 20||90|
|Adventure Classic Gaming||Windows||Nov 09, 1997||4 out of 5||80|
|Computer Gaming World (CGW)||Windows||Jan, 1998||70|
|GameSpot||PlayStation||May 14, 1998||5.5 out of 10||55|
There are currently no topics for this game.
Saturn versionWhile the Mac, Windows and Playstation versions were released on five CDs, the Sega Saturn version was released on only four. The layout is as follows:
Disc 1: Intro, Temple Island
Disc 2: Jungle Island, Tay
Disc 3: Book Assembly Island, Survey Island
Disc 4: Prison Island, 233rd Age
The bad endings originally on Disc 5 are now on every disc.
SoundtrackThe soundtrack for this game was composed and performed by Robyn Miller. Also, this soundtrack contains recently recovered d'ni archaeological information. Release date is 1998.
- Atrus Theme
- Jungle Totem
- Survey Island Theme
- Village Entrance Theme
- Moeity Caves
- Moeity Theme
- Boat Ride
- Moeity Prison
- The Red Cave
- Wahrk Room
- Catherine's Prelude
- Catherine's Theme
- Catherine's Freedom
- Gehn Speaks
- Gehn's Theme
- Bonus Track
- Computer Gaming World
- November 1996 (15th anniversary issue) – #12 Top Vaporware Title in Computer Game History
Related Web Sites
- GameFAQs -- Walkthroughs and tips for Riven
- Riven EPK -- Electronic press kit for the game featuring in game footage, behind the scenes look and more.
- Riven Hints -- Stuck in Riven? These hints will help you solve it!
- Riven X -- An open source project that allows Macintosh users to run both the CD and DVD versions of Riven on their modern operating systems.
- The Myst Guidebook -- The Riven subsection of the Guidebook fansite that provides information about the game and a brief background on the game's production in addition to game hints and a walkthrough.
- The Starry Expanse Project -- A fan-organized project attempting re-create Riven as a realtime 3D game in a fashion similar to realMYST. The project is currently still active.
- Zarf's Review -- A Mac review of Riven by Andrew Plotkin (November, 1997).
Jason C. Baskett, Michael Bostick, Tony Davidson, Jeremy Engleman, Robin Higgin‑Foley, Robert Grace, Tim Greenberg, Joshua A. Staub, Bret St. ClairCG Technical Director:
Lume Inc.CG Animation: