DescriptionThe events of Yoshi's Island take place in the past. Mario was one of two twin brothers whom the evil Magikoopa Kamek tried to kidnap. Kamek kidnapped one of the brothers, but the second, Mario, fell down on Yoshi's island, where Yoshis live. The Yoshis decided to carry baby Mario and to bring him to his parents. But Kamek has sent troops and hordes of monsters to stop the Yoshis and to kidnap Mario.
In the game, players control the differently colored Yoshis most of the time. Mario is a helpless baby unless a star that makes him invincible is collected. As a Yoshi, players can swallow enemies to make eggs; these eggs are used for attacking other enemies and activating switches. Yoshi can do a flutter jump to clear large gaps that a regular jump can't. Players can also pound the ground for attacks and also flipping certain switches. Additionally, Yoshis can transform into vehicles, such as a helicopter, submarine, or a train. If Mario is dismounted from a Yoshi, a countdown will start, and Yoshi must catch the baby before Kamek's servants kidnap it. When Mario is invincible, he doesn't ride on Yoshi and is immune to attack. While invincible, Mario can run up certain walls.
- "Super Mario: Yoshi's Island" -- Japanese title
- "スーパーマリオ ヨッシーアイランド" -- Japanese spelling
Part of the Following Groups
|Total! (Germany)||Oct, 1995||1 out of 6||100|
|Thunderbolt Games||Aug 22, 2007||10 out of 10||100|
|Game Freaks 365||2000||10 out of 10||100|
|Video Games & Computer Entertainment||Sep, 1995||10 out of 10||100|
|Joypad||Dec, 1995||97 out of 100||97|
|PGNx Media||Jul 16, 2003||9.6 out of 10||96|
|Mega Fun||Sep, 1995||93 out of 100||93|
|Nintendo Land||Sep 13, 2003||92 out of 100||92|
|All Game Guide||1998||90|
|Edge||Sep 28, 1995||9 out of 10||90|
There are currently no topics for this game.
1001 Video GamesYoshi's Island appears in the book 1001 Video Games You Must Play Before You Die by General Editor Tony Mott.
FuzzyIn the German version, the level that introduces the spores that have an, um, mind-expanding effect on Yoshi is called "Lustiges Sporen-Drama" (Funny spore drama). Just build the acronym of this title. Could this possibly be a very subtle joke?
- Electronic Gaming Monthly
- February 2006 (Issue #200) - #83 on the "Greatest Games of Their Time" list
- Retro Gamer
- September 2004 (Issue #8) – #58 Best Game Of All Time (Readers' Vote)
- April 2007 (Issue #37) - #11 Top Platformer of All Time (Readers' Vote)
Related Web Sites
- OC ReMix Game Profile (Fan remixes of music from Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island.)
- Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island (Wikipedia page for Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island.)
- Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island (Super Mario Wiki page for Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island.)