Game Groups > Genre: Hop and Bop Platformer
A subgenre of the platform genre.
To be included in this group games must fit the following criteria:
- Must be a game in the platform genre.
- The majority of the enemies must be able to be defeated simply by hopping on them. They can be defeated in other ways, but hopping on them should always be a viable option.
The Hop and Bop platformer is thought to have originated with Super Mario Bros.. Before that, enemies in platform games were usually dealt with simply by jumping over them or dodging them. Other early platform games like Space Panic let players trap enemies in holes and the game Horace & The Spiders took it a step further letting the player hop on a trapped enemy to defeat it in the last section of the game.
- Animals: Primates (monkeys or apes)
- Console Generation Exclusives: GameCube
- Donkey Kong games
- e-Reader series
- Enhanced ports / Port differences
- Game Center CX challenge games
- Mario games
- Nintendo Player's Choice releases
- Nintendo Selects releases
- Super Mario series
[ Page 1 of 3 ] [ Next ]