Forums > Game Talk > Bargain Bin v.3

vedder (71218) on 12/19/2011 10:14 PM · Permalink · Report

The other thread was locked.

Just bought Metro 2033 for €2,50 on Steam. Which is quite an accomplishment, because housewives as we gamers are the Steam servers are currently flooded by bargain hungry gamers attracted by the holiday sales period. Even getting the main store page to load is a miracle! Nevermind going through the entire purchase transaction.

Anyway I bought this because there's some fanboys over here (you know who you are) for this game and I figured for this cheap I'd be an idiot not to check it out.

It's added to the backlog, and who knows maybe I'll find the time to play it before the sequel is released next year.

GAMEBOY COLOR! (1990) on 12/19/2011 10:32 PM · Permalink · Report

And the Bargain Bins torch has been passed! You are bearer of it's reduced price flame now Vedder. :) I wish I had some bargains to report, but I haven't gotten much of a chance to go shopping lately.

Daniel Saner (3503) on 12/27/2011 1:35 AM · edited · Permalink · Report

These Steam sales are always a hard time. Buying lots of games "for when I have more time" even though I'm swamped with my backlog already.

Considering my recent rediscovery of top-down action games, I was very glad to pick up the new Alien Breed trilogy for about $5, and Renegade Ops for around the same amount. Also got Plants vs. Zombies since I've heard a lot of good about it, should make a good coffee break game.

Also got some Sierra stuff from GOG.com's sale (titles published by Activision soon leave the sale, the rest is up a few more days). Got them to complete the series in my collection: Police Quest 1-4 for $5, Phantasmagoria 2 for $3, and Gabriel Knight 2 for $3.

In the physical world, I recently got a box-complete original Leisure Suit Larry 2 (DOS 5.25") for the minimum bid (~ $2 + shipping). Paid a little more since I felt a little bad for the seller, and he threw in a copy of "The Games: Summer Edition" =D

GAMEBOY COLOR! (1990) on 12/28/2011 11:54 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

With the money I got for Christmas, I splurged most of it on old games and anime*. (Oh, will I never learn to get new stuff first?) Anyway, since Amazon still carries old games that are still sealed, I got FFIX, Jet Grind Radio, and FunPack new. (Good childhood memories with that last one!) I also got complete copies of Fear Effect and Tokyo Xtreme Racer. Still waiting for them to get here though.

*Outlaw Star Complete Collection and Interstella 5555. ^_^

GAMEBOY COLOR! (1990) on 12/30/2011 9:43 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

AAARRR! The supposedly "new" copy of FFIX I ordered came in today. My first tip off it wasn't new was the fact it had cheap shrink wrap on it, and no Sony sticker sealing. I wouldn't have minded that so much if the game I got was actually real. Yep. They sent me a pirated game. All four discs are clear, not black. Upon a Google search, I noticed it had the Square-Enix logo on it. Sqeenix didn't even exist when this game was published. I'm going to try to get my money back.

At least my copy of Fear Effect is real, and in excellent shape! The discs look perfect! And they're black just like all my other ps1 games. :/

Parf (7871) on 12/30/2011 10:14 PM · Permalink · Report

I hate when that happens. Happened to me once when I got a stack of Ps1 games for cheap on a swedish auction site. They arrive and are all pirate versions. I angrily emailed the seller who claimed he "had no idea"... yeah... the cheap stationary paper the covers were printed on coupled with the pixelated and muddy disc art didn't tip you off? Right...

Daniel Saner (3503) on 12/31/2011 10:07 AM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Parf wrote--]I hate when that happens. Happened to me once when I got a stack of Ps1 games for cheap on a swedish auction site. They arrive and are all pirate versions. I angrily emailed the seller who claimed he "had no idea"... yeah... the cheap stationary paper the covers were printed on coupled with the pixelated and muddy disc art didn't tip you off? Right...[/Q --end Parf wrote--]

In auctions and thrift stores it's one thing; I actually bought a fishy copy of Jagged Alliance 2 (when it was just released) from a major electronics retailer. Literally an off-the-shelf box like any other. I'm still not entirely sure if it's a pirate copy or an official pre-release/review copy that wasn't supposed to be sold. The installation program reminded me that this copy of the game was not supposed to be sold at retail, and the copy protection refused to let me run it (luckliy, the crack worked). I later checked the web and found out that it was supposed to come with a manual and stuff, not just with a loose, low-quality inlay in a Jewel Case.

Adzuken (836) on 12/30/2011 10:25 PM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Yay!!! wrote--]AAARRR! The supposedly "new" copy of FFIX I ordered came in today. My first tip off it wasn't new was the fact it had cheap shrink wrap on it, and no Sony sticker sealing. I wouldn't have minded that so much if the game I got was actually real. Yep. They sent me a pirated game. All four discs are clear, not black. Upon a Google search, I noticed it had the Square-Enix logo on it. Sqeenix didn't even exist when this game was published. I'm going to try to get my money back. [/Q --end Yay!!! wrote--] While the clear disks are definitely suspect, Square-Enix was actually around for certain reprints of Final Fantasy IX. My greatest hits copy has the Square-Enix logo.

GAMEBOY COLOR! (1990) on 12/30/2011 10:46 PM · Permalink · Report

Hmm. I didn't know that.

j.raido 【雷堂嬢太朗】 (102319) on 12/30/2011 10:26 PM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Yay!!! wrote--]Upon a Google search, I noticed it had the Square-Enix logo on it. Sqeenix didn't even exist when this game was published. I'm going to try to get my money back. [/Q --end Yay!!! wrote--] Well, the Squenix logo alone doesn't mean much unless they're passing it off as the original release. Still, that's damn shady and I hope you can get a refund. Amazon is generally quite lenient with their return policies, even with third-party sellers. When I worked at a toy seller, we had someone return a set of model planes because "they weren't as big as I thought they'd be."

GAMEBOY COLOR! (1990) on 12/30/2011 10:45 PM · Permalink · Report

It all looked really professional.

https://cdn.mobygames.com/user/17133405-image.jpg

I kept a calm tone in the email I sent them, explaining very thoroughly why it was fake. I told them I just want my money refunded, and I'm not sending them the game back. I don't want it circulating amongst normal copies. I probably won't hear back from them until next year though. (I can say that because it starts on Sunday. :P) I paid $18 for it, so that's just something I can't let go. More annoyed than angry now. At least I have something strange in my collection to show off now.

Pseudo_Intellectual (66542) on 12/31/2011 2:30 AM · Permalink · Report

I told them I just want my money refunded, and I'm not sending them the game back.

That hardly seems fair.

GAMEBOY COLOR! (1990) on 12/31/2011 2:35 AM · Permalink · Report

I thought it was a pirated game, and I didn't want it to be recirculated. If they sold a pirated game once, what assurance would I have if I sent it back they wouldn't resell it? But the issue has been resolved, see below. I forgot how cruddy it feels to be wrong about something you supposedly know a lot about. :/

Pseudo_Intellectual (66542) on 12/31/2011 3:35 AM · Permalink · Report

If the game works, I don't see that a customer has any business being the authenticity police; publishers have legal teams for that. The publisher isn't getting any of your money from the re-sale in any event, so I don't see quite where the sanctimony comes from.

GAMEBOY COLOR! (1990) on 12/31/2011 4:01 AM · Permalink · Report

I don't know. I just thought I would save somebody the hassle of not getting what they paid for.

Pseudo_Intellectual (66542) on 12/31/2011 7:58 AM · Permalink · Report

Again though, if the game works, how are they not getting what they paid for?

GAMEBOY COLOR! (1990) on 12/31/2011 1:53 PM · Permalink · Report

I meant getting a authentic copy. But then again that's just me. I'm sure most people wouldn't care.

GAMEBOY COLOR! (1990) on 12/30/2011 10:51 PM · Permalink · Report

Thanks. I hope they really weren't knowingly selling a pirated game, because then I'll be mad again.

GAMEBOY COLOR! (1990) on 12/31/2011 12:57 AM · Permalink · Report

This is the email they sent me. (At least they're prompt.)

"Daniel the game is 100% new and official. It is direct from Sony. They still make the games and they don’t come with the security strip on top and they have the shrink wrap now and not y-fold. 5 or 6 years ago they made them when they still had the security seal and y-fold. You can buy from Amazon directly or any seller the following games. FF8, ff9, final fantasy origins, final fantasy anthologies, final fantasy chronicles and they will all have the same wrap and no security seal.

If you aren’t happy you can return It for a full refund but please don’t accuse of piracy or selling fake games when we only sell authentic games.

Let us know what you want to do."

Let me quote line from that again:

"They still make the games and they don’t come with the security strip on top and they have the shrink wrap now and not y-fold."

I'm pretty damn sure Sony doesn't make PS1 games anymore. In fact, the only exception I can think of was MGS1 for the collection they did a few years ago.

This is what I had to say to that:

"I'm positive Sony doesn't make PS1 games anymore. It's been five years since they even made PS1 consoles. Every PS1 disk, regardless of being a give away demo or four disk game, they were always black. Always. Weather or not you like me saying you sold me a pirated game, the fact remains I received a pirated game. Weather it was intentional or I don't know. I provided pictures and detailed information as to why it's a pirated copy. All I want is my money back."

Alaka (106770) on 12/31/2011 1:28 AM · Permalink · Report

Um Daniel, you should really check out this thread:

http://www.digitpress.com/forum/showthread.php?t=154074

GAMEBOY COLOR! (1990) on 12/31/2011 1:43 AM · edited · Permalink · Report

I really feel like an idiot. I apologized a lot in an email I just sent them. Still, I'm a bit confused. When exactly did Square Enix start reprinting old games?

Edit-Thanks Alaka.

GAMEBOY COLOR! (1990) on 12/31/2011 2:37 AM · Permalink · Report

I got a email back from them, and they're not mad. I left positive feedback after reading that thread too. I feel really embarrassed.

Parf (7871) on 12/31/2011 9:19 AM · Permalink · Report

An easy thing to do is to simply try them in your PS1... if it's not a chipped PS1, a pirate game won't work.

GAMEBOY COLOR! (1990) on 12/31/2011 1:56 PM · Permalink · Report

They work, but I was sure that they were pirated because they weren't black. My geek ego has since been taken down a few notches.

Lain Crowley (6629) on 12/31/2011 9:26 PM · Permalink · Report

If anyone wants to put down the cash to print 10k copies Sony will reprint any PSX game. That's where all those copies of Rhapsody and Persona 2 came from a few years back. An online store wanted to exploit the ebay prices for them, so they sold a few hundred at that price point, and then flooded the market with the rest. Drove sealed collectors nutty because the reprints are indistinguishable from the originals.

Parf (7871) on 12/31/2011 11:12 PM · Permalink · Report

Serves them right too. Games are meant to be played, not stored in some dusty glass cabinet for display only.

GAMEBOY COLOR! (1990) on 12/31/2011 11:38 PM · Permalink · Report

I'd make a horrible collector. How can you own something and not want to open it? Speaking of which, I received my new copy of Jet Grind Radio today. ($20!) I love it! Wait, the camera is terrible! I HATE IT! Wait! The graffiti parts are really cool! I love it again! The camera! I HATE IT AGAIN! I foresee a tumultuous relationship with game.

Parf (7871) on 1/1/2012 2:37 AM · Permalink · Report

You'll end up loving it in the end. Because it's awesome. At the time of its release there was nothing like it around. Totally blew my mind when I played it for the first time.

GAMEBOY COLOR! (1990) on 1/4/2012 12:37 AM · edited · Permalink · Report

YES! I manage to finish a few levels yesterday, and you're right, I love it! But only in small doses. This game has driven me to swearing more than usual.

One some more bargain related notes, I ordered Roller Coaster Tycoon, Atari Anniversary Edition, Deus Ex, and Masters of Orion 2 all in their original boxes. All of them except for Deus Ex I got for under 15 dollars! I just hope the Post Office doesn't bend them on the way here.

Slug Camargo (583) on 1/4/2012 4:21 AM · edited · Permalink · Report

Never played Jet Grind Radio, but I do remember Old Man Murray using it as a counter-example in one of their many pieces criticizing the sewer-centered brownness that every game and their mother were already so devoted to back then, so I always sort of sympathized with it.

j.raido 【雷堂嬢太朗】 (102319) on 1/4/2012 8:38 AM · Permalink · Report

The irony? There's a part in Jet Set Radio (or maybe it was JSRF, the two games have kind of melded together in my memory) where you're rollerblading around in a sewer. It's still uncharacteristically bright and colorful for a sewer, though. And there's funky J-Rock blasting in the background anyway.

Man, I loved those games.

Parf (7871) on 1/4/2012 9:14 PM · Permalink · Report

There is a small sewer section in the first game where you do some racing, but the actual sewer stage is in JSRF.

I second the love for the games! I do have to say though, the first one is better even if the second is more polished.

Adzuken (836) on 1/19/2012 2:55 AM · Permalink · Report

Honeybee Adaptor, in the box!

This is probably the most prized Famicom-to-NES adaptor (which isn't saying much). Made by a company that totally wasn't Hudson, but definitely stole their logo. Now I can play Famicom games directly on my toaster model Nintendo. Previously, I was using a Famiclone to do it. This should keep me until I decide to pony up for an actual Famicom.

I've ordered a new quartet of Famicom games to play on it, including two games from the Nekketsu series. I'm pretty excited.

GAMEBOY COLOR! (1990) on 1/19/2012 3:18 AM · edited · Permalink · Report

These things exist for the NES? O_0 Perhaps I won't have to wait till I get a Famicom to play Challenger again!

Edit-Oh, and cool find Adzuken!

j.raido 【雷堂嬢太朗】 (102319) on 1/19/2012 6:05 AM · Permalink · Report

Nice! Might I inquire as to what games you ordered? :)

Adzuken (836) on 1/19/2012 2:53 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Yay!!! wrote--]These things exist for the NES? O_0 Perhaps I won't have to wait till I get a Famicom to play Challenger again! [/Q --end Yay!!! wrote--] Interestingly, some early NES games (Gyromite being the most well known and common) have 60-to-72 pin converters built in. Apparently Nintendo couldn't mass produce NES boards fast enough, so they just used the Famicom version with a converter. It comes apart, so you can use it as a converter if you find one. However, it's just a PCB board, so I'd be hesitant to stick it in my toaster NES, lest it become stuck forever.

[Q --start jotaro.raido wrote--]Nice! Might I inquire as to what games you ordered? :) [/Q --end jotaro.raido wrote--] You certainly may:
Konami Wai Wai World
Akumajou Densetsu (the Famicom version of Castlevania 3)
Ike Ike! Nekketsu Hockey-bu: Subete Koronde Dairantou
Nekketsu Kakutou Densetsu

I'm uncertain whether or not Akumajou Densetsu will have the extra sound channels using a converter, but I suppose I'll soon find out.

vedder (71218) on 2/7/2012 6:24 PM · Permalink · Report

Got Arkham City for €23. Which is rather awesome. For some years now I've been buying all the newest PC releases for 30-35ish euros from play.com or sometimes for less at Steam holiday sales. But now there's a new kid in town. Dutch electronics store Dixons seems to have most new PC releases (or at least those I checked) for prices in the €25 region.And the best thing is, they have a next day free delivery service when ordered before 22:00. Compared to Play.com's delivery times to the Netherlands which usually took about 2 to 6 weeks. That's rather a welcome addition!

Daniel Saner (3503) on 2/13/2012 10:55 PM · Permalink · Report

For stuff they don't have you can also check out Amazon UK, their prices are about the same. Delivery isn't free, but with VAT being deduced for non-UK customers (I'm not sure this works within EU?) you end up at roughly the same price point. I always wondered why this is not more widely known in Switzerland, since on release day most games are about half-price when compared to local shops.

vedder (71218) on 2/14/2012 8:06 AM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Daniel Saner wrote--]...but with VAT being deduced for non-UK customers (I'm not sure this works within EU?)... [/Q --end Daniel Saner wrote--]

I've bought stuff there, but I never noticed or knew about anything to that effect.

Celine Celine on 3/22/2012 2:08 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

spam

GAMEBOY COLOR! (1990) on 4/16/2012 1:24 PM · Permalink · Report

I got MGS 2 and 3 yesterday for ten bucks! My only complaint? How hard is it to keep a disc in decent shape? Why must most of these games look as if they've been used as coasters?

Adzuken (836) on 4/16/2012 11:09 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

[Q --start DANIEL HAWKS ! wrote--]How hard is it to keep a disc in decent shape? Why must most of these games look as if they've been used as coasters? [/Q --end DANIEL HAWKS ! wrote--] 'Cause they probably have.

GAMEBOY COLOR! (1990) on 4/20/2012 12:51 PM · Permalink · Report

No matter. Last week, I ordered a copy of the original Half Life. (I know it's on Steam, but I just love all cardboard!) It has the original box and inserts. It even had some vintage cheat sheets from 2000! (I haven't used them yet.) I dragged my Compaq out to play it yesterday, and played for almost four hours straight! I haven't done that in ages. And I only paid ten bucks for it. :)

GAMEBOY COLOR! (1990) on 5/6/2012 9:37 PM · Permalink · Report

I'm in need of some Moby Game expertise! At the flea market yesterday, I managed to find a few console games, (Glover, Armorines, King's Field and Ever Grace.), but I also came across some old DOS games. I got a copy of Hover Force without the code wheel (errg.), Red Baron A-10 Tank Killer, and a copy of X-COM Terror From The Deep with just the manual and disk. I know X-COM is well respected here, but I don't know anything about the others. Did I get anything good, or should I have I left them in the box they came from?

piltdown_man (244604) on 6/5/2012 5:09 PM · Permalink · Report

Ah! Flea markets. Love'em. I have both these games. From memory Red Baron is a classy game, well packaged, with good documentation. I have it in a five game compilation but I haven't played it since 2008. My notes say it plays very well under DOSBOX with the bonus that using a modern pc means it plays well even when recording the mission.

Sure I've played A-10 but all I can find in my notes is a reference to A-10 Cuba, not your game

Daniel Saner (3503) on 6/9/2012 5:51 PM · Permalink · Report

The game's retail copy is also quite different from the Steam one, which has constantly been patched and revamped. Not only the engine, but I hear there's also a few bugs and issues with the Steam version that the boxed one doesn't have, particularly when it comes to the official add-ons.

I also still have my boxed copy, and when trying to play both that and the Steam version on my current system (Win7 64-bit), I found the boxed copy to work much better tech-wise, and more stable, than the Steam one (although you can't crank up the resolution quite as high).

piltdown_man (244604) on 6/5/2012 5:44 PM · Permalink · Report

I don't buy many new games, I'm working through my backlog of old games and until they're gone, and I've replayed my favourites again, there's no point

I hunt for a different kind of bargain, mainly at car boot sales where it is still possible to get bargains especially with the older games. For example about six - eight months ago I picked up a cassette case with fifty Spectrum Interactive Fiction games in it for just £2. Bit of a silly buy really because at the time when I was downsizing and actively getting rid of my old games and hardware, but I really did intend playing them. Turns out I don't like that kind of game after all so instead of playing them I got my fun by submitting them to moby. Once they're approved I'll be selling them on to finance future purchases.

Last month at an auction I bought an old Amiga 500 for £25 and it came with the discs for many, many games. It's quantity rather than quality though because they're all mixed up and without manuals. Still I can get as much pleasure out of sorting and testing as I sometimes get from playing the games and it's something I can still look forward to in the long cold nights that pass for an English summer.

Most recently I picked up a Gameboy quite reasonably, but that's another post/story.

The Cliffe (1552) on 6/8/2012 10:51 AM · Permalink · Report

Just found a copy of Metal Gear Solid for the PSX at a pawn shop for a Canadian Fiver.

Parf (7871) on 6/9/2012 4:54 PM · Permalink · Report

I came upon a "2 for 50 kr" (roughly €5) sale at Game. I snatched Final Fantasy XIII for the 360 and Disaster: Day of Crisis for the Wii. I'm not sure I'll get to them any time soon, but I couldn't resist at that price. :)

GAMEBOY COLOR! (1990) on 7/5/2012 2:02 AM · Permalink · Report

I've picked up five games lately, but only two worth mentioning for their bargain worthy-ness. First was a used copy of Opposing forces with it's original box and inserts for only eight dollars! It's in great shape too. But probably my favorite, was Tomb Raider 1, in it's original box, with everything still in it for NINE DOLLARS. It's used, but you would never be able to tell just by looking at the box. That makes me very happy. :)