🕹️ New release: Lunar Lander Beyond

Forums > Game Forums > Mount & Blade: Warband > Is game is pure genius.

Indra was here (20755) on 9/19/2010 6:06 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

The last time I played an RPG game where you actually had to be wary of every single opponent was probably Fallout 2. Sheid, a dang peasant can kill you in this game. Lovely!

Now I wonder if this game qualifies for "simulation". I don't think I've ever played a "jousting/knight" simulation before. This is practically as close as it gets to clobbering knights on horseback. I have yet to lose interest in the battles after the 100th time. Even Total War couldn't accomplish that. Amazing.

That MobyRank really doesn't make sense. GameStar Germany once again proves that it absolutely has no brains whatsoever.

Though what is probably more surprising is this game is only 700 MB big. Heh. Apparently you don't need 9 GB of game to create something this good (looks at all those graphical cut-scene rpgs). Too bad Oblivion, you just got duped.

mobygamer (92) on 9/19/2010 9:40 PM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Bhatara Dewa Indra I wrote--]Too bad Oblivion, you just got duped. [/Q --end Bhatara Dewa Indra I wrote--]

That seems inappropriate, oblivion isn't about combat, its focus is on exploration. Since you like mount and blade so much i recommend you try age of chivalry and mortal online(MMO)

Indra was here (20755) on 9/19/2010 10:01 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

[Q --start I4C wrote--] [Q2 --start Bhatara Dewa Indra I wrote--]Too bad Oblivion, you just got duped. [/Q2 --end Bhatara Dewa Indra I wrote--]

That seems inappropriate, oblivion isn't about combat, its focus is on exploration. [/Q --end I4C wrote--] And combat. RPGs where combat isn't a main concern shouldn't be an RPG.

The Fabulous King (1332) on 9/20/2010 8:42 PM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Bhatara Dewa Indra I wrote--] [Q2 --start I4C wrote--] [Q3 --start Bhatara Dewa Indra I wrote--]Too bad Oblivion, you just got duped. [/Q3 --end Bhatara Dewa Indra I wrote--]

That seems inappropriate, oblivion isn't about combat, its focus is on exploration. [/Q2 --end I4C wrote--] And combat. RPGs where combat isn't a main concern shouldn't be an RPG. [/Q --end Bhatara Dewa Indra I wrote--]

Ah, Indra you're so wrong that it's just sad. Since combat is a part of most gaming genres, it's not unique to rpg's and thus does not an rpg make.

This video will prove Indra wrong! - http://spoonyexperiment.com/2010/09/19/ultima-5-warriors-of-destiny/

Sure now dear reader you might say, that Ultima is a series whose existence Indra is ignoring because it undermines his false narrative of rpg's. But let's take Realms of Arkania example, because that is something you and Indra both hold because you haven't played it and associate it with hardcore rpg'ness.

You think Realms of Arkania is about combat? Wrong. It's about survival. You need knowledge of herbs, medicine, hunting, and all those interesting non-combat related skills to survive in that world. Hell, you even need proper clothes to survive the hard climatic conditions. In Realms of Arkania you truly live of from the land.

mobygamer (92) on 9/20/2010 9:35 PM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Drunken Irishman wrote--] [Q2 --start Bhatara Dewa Indra I wrote--] [Q3 --start I4C wrote--] [Q4 --start Bhatara Dewa Indra I wrote--]Too bad Oblivion, you just got duped. [/Q4 --end Bhatara Dewa Indra I wrote--]

That seems inappropriate, oblivion isn't about combat, its focus is on exploration. [/Q3 --end I4C wrote--] And combat. RPGs where combat isn't a main concern shouldn't be an RPG. [/Q2 --end Bhatara Dewa Indra I wrote--]

Ah, Indra you're so wrong that it's just sad. Since combat is a part of most gaming genres, it's not unique to rpg's and thus does not an rpg make.

This video will prove Indra wrong! - http://spoonyexperiment.com/2010/09/19/ultima-5-warriors-of-destiny/

Sure now dear reader you might say, that Ultima is a series whose existence Indra is ignoring because it undermines his false narrative of rpg's. But let's take Realms of Arkania example, because that is something you and Indra both hold because you haven't played it and associate it with hardcore rpg'ness.

You think Realms of Arkania is about combat? Wrong. It's about survival. You need knowledge of herbs, medicine, hunting, and all those interesting non-combat related skills to survive in that world. Hell, you even need proper clothes to survive the hard climatic conditions. In Realms of Arkania you truly live of from the land. [/Q --end Drunken Irishman wrote--]

Which one of the Realms of Arkania would you recommend ? All?

The Fabulous King (1332) on 9/20/2010 9:47 PM · Permalink · Report

3rd one. More likely to complete that one. The first two can be too overwhelming. Second one is usually considered to be the defining classic one though.

Indra was here (20755) on 9/20/2010 11:31 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

[Q --start I4C wrote--]Which one of the Realms of Arkania would you recommend? All? [/Q --end I4C wrote--]Depends on your graphical eye tolerance. I played StarTrail first, had trouble liking the previous Blade of Destiny since the graphics was a tad shabby in comparison.

Might as well play the first so you can export characters to later versions if that feature is available.

Or you could skip the older version and play newer version of the Dark Eye/Das Schwarze Auge universe and start with Drakensang.

The Fabulous King (1332) on 9/21/2010 2:22 AM · edited · Permalink · Report

Indra: "Or you could skip the older version and play newer version of the Dark Eye/Das Schwarze Auge universe and start with Drakensang."

If Indra would know anything about rpg's, he would know that the original Realms of Arkania and Drakensang are not the same thing, since Drakensang follows Neverwinter Nights in gameplay. It's not the same hardcore micromanagement game the original ROA trilogy is known for, but a post-Baldur's Gate rpg game.

This proves that Indra is completely illiterate in rpg business and should not even comment on the subject at all.

Recommending a german Neverwinter Nights clone to a person who asks about the original Arkania trilogy? So wrong.

I just don't have the words for it.

Setting does not a game make. These are two completely different experiences.

MZ per X (3017) on 9/21/2010 8:48 AM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Drunken Irishman wrote--]It's not the same hardcore micromanagement game the original ROA trilogy is known for... [/Q --end Drunken Irishman wrote--] While this is undisputed, IMHO Drakensang still offers more micro management for the interested player than many other RPGs these days, so it may well be a good introduction to RPG sophistication goodness for younger gamers.

Indra was here (20755) on 9/20/2010 11:32 AM · edited · Permalink · Report

If anyone is familiar with the game, does anyone know a workaround so to minimize this constant lagging I've been having during real-time combat - with more than a 20 or so units involved?

I've minimized the settings to an optimum low without much success. The graphic settings says I'm at 144% estimated performance though. Even changed the rendering to use DirectX 7. Seems to help, but perhaps that's my imagination.

Well, any approach that may help the graphical stuttering so I can continue cleaving heads with my over-sized pitchfork. Danke.

mobygamer (92) on 9/20/2010 11:42 AM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Bhatara Dewa Indra I wrote--]If anyone is familiar with the game, does anyone know a workaround so to minimize this constant lagging I've been having during real-time combat - with more than a 20 or so units involved?

I've minimized the settings to an optimum low without much success. The graphic settings says I'm at 144% estimated performance though. Even changed the rendering to use DirectX 7. Seems to help, but perhaps that's my imagination.

Well, any approach that may help the graphical stuttering so I can continue cleaving heads with my over-sized pitchfork. Danke. [/Q --end Bhatara Dewa Indra I wrote--]

Does this happen only on multi-player? What OS are you using? Has this always been happening ? Where did you install it(steam, gamersgate etc) ? What are your specs ?

Indra was here (20755) on 9/20/2010 2:49 PM · Permalink · Report

Single player, XP. RAM 3B. GeForce 8500 GT 512 MB. Game version 1.127

Judging from the minimum tech specs, I'm above average. So this is a really bad oversight.

Foxhack (32100) on 9/20/2010 6:56 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Bhatara Dewa Indra I wrote--]GeForce 8500 GT 512 MB. (...)

Judging from the minimum tech specs, I'm above average. So this is a really bad oversight. [/Q --end Bhatara Dewa Indra I wrote--]No, your video card is a piece of trash.

I should know. I HAVE THAT SAME CARD. It cost me five bucks and I'm only using it while I can afford a new one. It's just really bad and can't play relatively modern games (two years old) very well.

Indra was here (20755) on 9/20/2010 8:15 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Foxhack wrote--]No, your video card is a piece of trash. [/Q --end Foxhack wrote--]Remind me not to mention my other hardware accessories. You'd probably want to jump off a very tall structure later on. :p

Twice.

Lain Crowley (6629) on 9/20/2010 7:00 PM · Permalink · Report

The thing with GeForces is that any model number below #600 is trash. A 6600 is probably going to be better than an 8500.

chirinea (47495) on 9/21/2010 3:23 AM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Lain Crowley wrote--]The thing with GeForces is that any model number below #600 is trash. A 6600 is probably going to be better than an 8500. [/Q --end Lain Crowley wrote--]Hey, my GeForce Ti 4400 is great! =D

The Fabulous King (1332) on 9/21/2010 3:04 AM · edited · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Bhatara Dewa Indra I wrote--] That MobyRank really doesn't make sense. GameStar Germany once again proves that it absolutely has no brains whatsoever.

Though what is probably more surprising is this game is only 700 MB big. Heh. Apparently you don't need 9 GB of game to create something this good (looks at all those graphical cut-scene rpgs). [/Q --end Bhatara Dewa Indra I wrote--]

Agreed. They probably just have something against turks and turkish games.

Speaking of which. There seems to be a spin-off Mount&Blade by CD Projekt, taking place in Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth and the english wiki entry says it "is coming out in Fall 2009". Anyone know what's up with that?

mobygamer (92) on 9/21/2010 7:38 AM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Drunken Irishman wrote--] [Q2 --start Bhatara Dewa Indra I wrote--] That MobyRank really doesn't make sense. GameStar Germany once again proves that it absolutely has no brains whatsoever.

Though what is probably more surprising is this game is only 700 MB big. Heh. Apparently you don't need 9 GB of game to create something this good (looks at all those graphical cut-scene rpgs). [/Q2 --end Bhatara Dewa Indra I wrote--]

Agreed. They probably just have something against turks and turkish games.

Speaking of which. There seems to be a spin-off Mount&Blade by CD Projekt, taking place in Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth and the english wiki entry says it "is coming out in Fall 2009". Anyone know what's up with that? [/Q --end Drunken Irishman wrote--]

From what i know it came out last year, but was released only to a few countries(Poland, Ukraine, Russia etc). I was looking for the game and found some warez sites that have it, but haven't found a store that sells it loooooooooool. That is all i know.

Slug Camargo (583) on 9/21/2010 10:05 AM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Drunken Irishman wrote--] [Q2 --start Bhatara Dewa Indra I wrote--] That MobyRank really doesn't make sense. GameStar Germany once again proves that it absolutely has no brains whatsoever. [/Q2 --end Bhatara Dewa Indra I wrote--]

Agreed. They probably just have something against turks and turkish games. [/Q --end Drunken Irishman wrote--] Oh, don't be such conspiracy drama queens. I'd like to think it's just the world coming to its senses and every game featuring knights with swords riding horses and crap like that being shunned from gaming for good.

Here's hoping for that Dragon Origins Whatever 2: Moar Dragons and Moar Origins!!!11 thing to come out and crash onto a MobyRank of 1 to prove my theory. That'd be the day =3

mobygamer (92) on 9/21/2010 7:24 AM · Permalink · Report

Thanks for the quick response Indra and Rabbi. Now i have to wait for GOG to come back so i can buy them. :P Damn they picked quite the time to do this.

Pseudo_Intellectual (66362) on 9/21/2010 6:07 PM · Permalink · Report

I don't think I've ever played a "jousting/knight" simulation before. ... I have yet to lose interest in the battles after the 100th time.

I think that I lost interest in defeating the Black Knight after losing 100 jousting bouts in a row to him back in Conquests of Camelot.

Indra was here (20755) on 9/21/2010 8:20 PM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Pseudo_Intellectual wrote--]I think that I lost interest in defeating the Black Knight after losing 100 jousting bouts in a row to him back in Conquests of Camelot. [/Q --end Pseudo_Intellectual wrote--]I surprisingly didn't have much difficulty beating him. I did however continuously got mauled to death by those dang boars.

May have to create a jousting game group one day. Wonders if DragonStrike qualifies. Not may dragon simulators out there.

abdalrasheed on 9/28/2010 7:09 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Bhatara Dewa Indra I wrote--]Now I wonder if this game qualifies for "simulation". I don't think I've ever played a "jousting/knight" simulation before. This is practically as close as it gets to clobbering knights on horseback. I have yet to lose interest in the battles after the 100th time. Even Total War couldn't accomplish that. Amazing.

[/Q --end Bhatara Dewa Indra I wrote--]

is this amazing game? yes. this is a war game that i oftenly imagene and it well implemented (except the earlier version have lots of bugs but their latest patch not just fix most of the bugs but also making this game lots more better and intereting)

but qualifies for "simulation" i think it just close. They should first fix the first person angle, i feel there is kind of issue in the first person fight. Many warband player find themself bit hard to play this game in first person so most of them play as 3rd person view. I have experience a weird feeling whenever i play in first person, the camera is a little bit down and make u feel like your not moving a human more like a midget or dwarve. But if u play this game in 3rd person, all the strategy, the balance and the control on movement (include horse riding) and fighting are amazing.

I like how they combine mouse movement and link it to attack and defend direction, it give a feeling that u actualy swingin a sword and put some reality in the game. And it need good perception and tactics,also skill to winning a battle or a fight, high level char cant be a solo rambo who bit 100 man by rushing slash and dash into the crowd.

[Q --start Bhatara Dewa Indra I wrote--] That MobyRank really doesn't make sense. GameStar Germany once again proves that it absolutely has no brains whatsoever. [/Q --end Bhatara Dewa Indra I wrote--]

I agree, ya, gw sepakat dra :) this game is pure genius.

Indra was here (20755) on 9/28/2010 9:43 PM · Permalink · Report

It took 10 years for another Indonesian to finally show up. Slow decade. :p

abdalrasheed on 9/29/2010 4:14 AM · edited · Permalink · Report

i already reading review, thread, post, in mobygames for 3 year maybe. Decide to create an account 1 year later, and decide to start posting a comment this day at 2 pm when i cant sleep and dont know what else to do. :D i know its a little bit late, but late better then not showing up, dont you agree? ;p

btw i check on mobygames lately because i want to read review on civilization 5 (gamespot not satisfy me though) before decide to playing it. To bad they havent got the review. Hope you will review it Indra, i periodicly check up and read your review.

Indra was here (20755) on 9/29/2010 7:35 AM · edited · Permalink · Report

[Q --start abdalrasheed wrote--]Hope you will review it Indra, i periodically check up and read your review. [/Q --end abdalrasheed wrote--]Don't have time. Too busy playing Warband. :)
Not really interested in Civ 5. I practically lost interest while playing Civ 4.

Tinggal di daerah mana loe, euy?

Unicorn Lynx (181775) on 9/29/2010 9:44 AM · Permalink · Report

Tinggal di daerah mana loe, euy?

Ahi, en li musag al ma ata medaber.

abdalrasheed on 9/29/2010 10:34 AM · Permalink · Report

:P

abdalrasheed on 9/29/2010 10:31 AM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Bhatara Dewa Indra I wrote--] [Q2 --start abdalrasheed wrote--]Hope you will review it Indra, i periodically check up and read your review. [/Q2 --end abdalrasheed wrote--]Don't have time. Too busy playing Warband. :)
Not really interested in Civ 5. I practically lost interest while playing Civ 4.

Tinggal di daerah mana loe, euy? [/Q --end Bhatara Dewa Indra I wrote--]

Thank you for fixing my grammar i need lot of it :) I already playing warband for hundreds of hour, man this game are beyond... just wow, they even add this realistic mode that wont let u took several save part and wont let u quit the game without saving, its nearly perfect.

ah ya there is good mod in warband call diplomacy, have u take a look at it?

about the civ. I love civ 4. But i admit i cant compare it with civ 3 because i dont play that version yet (i only play civ 1, colonization, 2, call to power, then 4) is there something that i miss in civ 3, thing that make u down?

Sama daerah kita euy, jakarta :)

Indra was here (20755) on 9/29/2010 10:56 AM · edited · Permalink · Report

[Q --start abdalrasheed wrote--]Thank you for fixing my grammar I need a lot of it :) I've already playing warband for hundreds of hours, man this game is beyond... just wow, they even added this realistic mode that will not let take several saves states and will not let you quit the game without saving, it's nearly perfect.

There's a good mod in warband call diplomacy, have you seen it?

About the Civ. I love Civ 4. But I admit I can't compare it with Civ 3 because I haven't played that version yet (I've only played Civ 1, Colonization, Civ 2, Call to Power, and Civ 4) is there something that I miss in Civ 3, something that made you down?

Sama daerah kita euy, Jakarta :) [/Q --end abdalrasheed wrote--] Grammar fix. :)

Just hang out in the forums frequently. Many non-native English speakers have had their English improve remarkably over the years here. Metro TV aja Inggrisnya suka ngaco. Payah neh negara.

Well, if you've played other Civ's, you might notice that Civ 4 seems for "commercial" and less difficult than previous Civ's. The Civilopedia is minimal, area of control is non-existent, pretty graphics-not so pretty gameplay, and enourmous memory leaks.

The series is dead as far as I'm concerned.

abdalrasheed on 9/29/2010 12:19 PM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Bhatara Dewa Indra I wrote--] [Q2 --start abdalrasheed wrote--]Thank you for fixing my grammar I need a lot of it :) I've already playing warband for hundreds of hours, man this game is beyond... just wow, they even added this realistic mode that will not let take several saves states and will not let you quit the game without saving, it's nearly perfect.

There's a good mod in warband call diplomacy, have you seen it?

About the Civ. I love Civ 4. But I admit I can't compare it with Civ 3 because I haven't played that version yet (I've only played Civ 1, Colonization, Civ 2, Call to Power, and Civ 4) is there something that I miss in Civ 3, something that made you down?

Sama daerah kita euy, Jakarta :) [/Q2 --end abdalrasheed wrote--] Grammar fix. :)

Just hang out in the forums frequently. Many non-native English speakers have had their English improve remarkably over the years here. Metro TV aja Inggrisnya suka ngaco. Payah neh negara.

Well, if you've played other Civ's, you might notice that Civ 4 seems for "commercial" and less difficult than previous Civ's. The Civilopedia is minimal, area of control is non-existent, pretty graphics-not so pretty gameplay, and enourmous memory leaks.

The series is dead as far as I'm concerned. [/Q --end Bhatara Dewa Indra I wrote--]

thank you dra,:) ya gw emang kesini buat lancarin udah jadi permintaan kerja nih, soal negara kita yah namanya juga republik inulnesia :D

As for civ 4. I stuck at King (after prince) difficulty. Dont know, i found it fair, it even supprise me that my riffleman can be beaten by a maceman or swordman. About the area control, yes, but i heard they re-able it on civ 5, but in otherside they also make the game more simple and instant and remove several feature in previous civ in order to make the game easier to play (lot of auto and simple menu etc)

im agree with u in terms "we dont like the complexity to be decrease, in order to please the mass market". And yea, this greed, it oftenly end up fail. They want to please everybody, the good man, the bad man, the honest, the thief, the complex, the simpleton, anybody in the house, then they end up pleasing nobody. What a drama...

sory little bit out of topic, maybe we should back to warband discussion.

lilalurl (733) on 9/29/2010 9:26 PM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start abdalrasheed wrote--]About the area control, yes, but i heard they re-able it on civ 5, but in otherside they also make the game more simple and instant and remove several feature in previous civ in order to make the game easier to play (lot of auto and simple menu etc)[/Q --end abdalrasheed wrote--]

Zone of control is back but works a bit differently. Now, the result is that a unit that moves into the ZoC of an enemy unit will spend all its movement points for each movement in the ZoC (ie you can move only one tile each turn).

And from what I have seen (played it at friend's for a short while), units can quickly get some movement bonuses (earned via experience) or have several movement points natively.

One important change is you can no longer stack units, so it is only unit per tile (although you can pass through one ally unit, you cannot have two units on the same tile at the end of a turn).

Cities have now some "natural" defensive capabilities (varies with population, defensive buildings, garrisoned units). Notably, they can fire at enemy units in their vicinity (won't kill them but weaken them enough to make attacking the city much harder. Also you won't be able to "camp" in the city area because of this).

Ranged units (archers etc...) can now do actual ranged attacks (ie no need to be adjacent to an enemy to attack).
Finally, there is a flanking bonus (+15% for adjacent ally unit).

So at least for the combat part, you now have something closer to a wargame.

This convinced me to get the game, one day or another (I still prefer the Simtex games for their possibility to play turn-based battles).

You can grab the Civ. 5 manual from the official website if you want to have a detailed look at some fetaures. http://www.civilization5.com/#/community/feature_manual

abdalrasheed on 9/29/2010 10:35 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

[Q --start lilalurl wrote--] [Q2 --start abdalrasheed wrote--]About the area control, yes, but i heard they re-able it on civ 5, but in otherside they also make the game more simple and instant and remove several feature in previous civ in order to make the game easier to play (lot of auto and simple menu etc) [/Q2 --end abdalrasheed wrote--]

Zone of control is back but works a bit differently. Now, the result is that a unit that moves into the ZoC of an enemy unit will spend all its movement points for each movement in the ZoC (ie you can move only one tile each turn).

And from what I have seen (played it at friend's for a short while), units can quickly get some movement bonuses (earned via experience) or have several movement points natively.

One important change is you can no longer stack units, so it is only unit per tile (although you can pass through one ally unit, you cannot have two units on the same tile at the end of a turn).

Cities have now some "natural" defensive capabilities (varies with population, defensive buildings, garrisoned units). Notably, they can fire at enemy units in their vicinity (won't kill them but weaken them enough to make attacking the city much harder. Also you won't be able to "camp" in the city area because of this).

Ranged units (archers etc...) can now do actual ranged attacks (ie no need to be adjacent to an enemy to attack).
Finally, there is a flanking bonus (+15% for adjacent ally unit).

So at least for the combat part, you now have something closer to a wargame.

This convinced me to get the game, one day or another (I still prefer the Simtex games for their possibility to play turn-based battles).

You can grab the Civ. 5 manual from the official website if you want to have a detailed look at some fetaures. http://www.civilization5.com/#/community/feature_manual [/Q --end lilalurl wrote--]

after reading your explanation it seem civ 5 really worth to try. Thing that really put me down is they said the AI are so aggresive and it reduce the diplomatic and politic element in the game, end up being simply common wargame (wich is not the real aim of civilization). No tax rate, spionage rate, culture rate, is that true? far simple state policy, and remove the religion from the game. That really drop my jaw.

But i think, it can be fix later with mod or expansion. Yep, i think i should give it a shot.

Thx Lila :)

Unicorn Lynx (181775) on 9/30/2010 12:23 AM · Permalink · Report

ya gw emang kesini buat lancarin udah jadi permintaan kerja nih,

Yalla hevre, tafsiku kvar ledaber indonezit po, nu. Dabru ivrit kmo bney-adam :)

abdalrasheed on 9/30/2010 4:31 AM · Permalink · Report

ok im better if u speak arabic (i know it a little) then Hebrew or Yiddish, but i kind a get a figure on what u mean.

Yalla : cmon Hevre : stop it Tafsiku kvar ledaber Indonezit : stop speaking Indonesian

and the rest i dont have any idea :D

hey give me the translation, i really like to learn it.

Unicorn Lynx (181775) on 9/30/2010 5:34 AM · Permalink · Report

Hehe, LOL, you almost got it right, except "hevre" which means "guys"; the rest is right :)

"dabru ivrit kmo bney-adam" means "speak Hebrew like human beings" ;)

Unfortunately I don't know Arabic, just counting and swear words... :)