☕ Research video games with your very own MobyGames mug

Forums > Off Topic > Yep, I'm freaking out...

Indra was here (20752) on 10/12/2008 8:19 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

I have high blood pressure in my genes, so every one in a while...I do tend to scare myself. I was about to write my next review, when my instinct wrote what it felt for me and this the few first paragraphs, I ended up writing. Note...this is some serious hate, people.

You know people; I’m really tired of trashing games. I really am. I’m really tired of incompetent developers with equally incompetent programming skills that introduce what would probably be the next good thing in your gaming memory, but blow it out of the water, just because they had poor negotiation skills, saying that they could deliver the game in the appropriate time frame but could not. Thus, introducing numerous disastrous bugs that render the game un-playable, making gamers wait weeks for them to deliver a patch, that not only does not fix the stupid bug in the first place, it is also at least a couple hundred megabytes large.

I’m tired and I’ve just had it. I’m really up-to-here with level of incompetence, and if I didn’t have a decent level of IQ, I’d suicide bomb each and every one of you programmers to kingdom come. If there is such a thing a gaming hell, than I pray will all my gaming memories, that each and every one of you developers that think that you can deliver a buggy game to devout fans, and say that everything will be alright with the next patch (when often it almost never is), should go straight down to gaming hell. Additionally, I hope you die an equally brutal death. With this I curse you.

Just to know how really…really frustrated and serious I am.

Now back to the game.

<hr />

I think I need a vacation from gaming.

The Fabulous King (1332) on 10/12/2008 8:26 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

I think it's for the best really. When was the last time you actually enjoyed a game? And also, you've grown quite freaky lately. So yeah... take the time off. Also, you might consider taking time off from the internet. It ain't going to be better when you substitute games with internet. If you can't be entertained, then it's time to hit the road and not damn the entertainers to hell - that's what religious right does.

GAMEBOY COLOR! (1990) on 10/12/2008 11:49 PM · Permalink · Report

I took a semi gaming break for a while. Actually since about August. On and off with most games, not really having any fun. Now For some reason I'm back in the saddle ! I just satisfactorally finsihed Tekken Tag Tournament, and now I'm on to Tomb Raider Anniversary. If you noticed from about August until now was when I spent too much time on the net. I think a break would be good for you Indra. 8)

Somebody bring me Sisko! (8) on 10/12/2008 11:39 PM · Permalink · Report

This is the perfect opportunity to take a Travis Bickle workout. Just be back on track when Braben's supposed to release Elite 4 and l might have work for you. So be warned and don't fail me David--some ancestors of Clan Depari ate each other.

Игги Друге (46653) on 10/17/2008 6:50 PM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start FrakesJoe (NSDSP) wrote--]This is the perfect opportunity to take a Travis Bickle workout. Just be back on track when Braben's supposed to release Elite 4 [/Q --end FrakesJoe (NSDSP) wrote--] That's when I'll need to take a month off work.

micnictic (387) on 10/13/2008 11:51 AM · Permalink · Report

Well, yeah, you should really calm down for your own good. It doesn't sound healthy. Maybe you need a vacation from bug-infested games, as these seemingly are the ones, which rise your blood pressure in the first place. Never bother with games, until there's a stable and enjoyable version available.

PS: really enjoyed reading your Diplomacy review.

Indra was here (20752) on 10/13/2008 6:19 PM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Daniel Steinbrück wrote--]Well, yeah, you should really calm down for your own good. It doesn't sound healthy. Maybe you need a vacation from bug-infested games, as these seemingly are the ones, which rise your blood pressure in the first place. Never bother with games, until there's a stable and enjoyable version available.

PS: really enjoyed reading your Diplomacy review. [/Q --end Daniel Steinbrück wrote--]

I do hope all my trashing had valid arguments. The people of who "see this review as not helpful" seems to be decreasing a bit, depending on my arguments vs. name-calling. Hehe. Although I'm quite upset with my Warcraft 3 review. I hoped the Warcraft fanbois would defend more a bit. So far it's 14 vs 15 in opposition of my review. Darn it, I was expecting a landslide loss. Warcraft fanbois, I am so dissapointed in you. :p

Well, my freaking out is passing. Either that has to do with that full moon I just noticed outside my window, which oddly almost always gets me emotional for some stupid reason.

And if anyone's wondering, I was writing a review for Warhammer: Mark of Chaos. Since although what appears to be a magnificant game to my liking...crashes 80-90% of the time (that's a lot of crashing).

Then I re-installed Heroes V: Collections Edition...only to "re-discover" that the game always crashes when I try to save it. So I've been playing and progressing without saving the game...until I a sequence with a mandatory autosave...meaning I can't progress. :(

Yep...every game I touch seems to have moronic bugs in it. Don't know why.

The Fabulous King (1332) on 10/13/2008 7:36 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

Yep...every game I touch seems to have moronic bugs in it. Don't know why.

Because you hate games. Why should games play out easy in your hands?

Have you ever thought that perhaps the origin of the problem is... you? Negative disposition gives fruit to negative experience. Or perhaps you are cursed? Shouldn't really have told "fuck you!" to that crazy old shaman bitch that lives under the bridge, now should you have?

My god, I've played some games you've played and I've never had the problems you had.

Face it - you are cursed, you don't actually enjoy playing games, you enjoy hating them - it all leads to a conclusion that you are sad person who wastes his time doing something he hates as a hobby... a stupid thing to do. But, every person would someday come to his senses, but since you haven't, then the only conclusion is that you are a hate-addict.

In fact, your life is so empty, that writing hateful reviews on the net is the only pleasure you have in life.

True or not - you suck! Have you ever written a positive review? Let's be positive thinking - try it out sometimes.

Xoleras (66141) on 10/13/2008 12:25 PM · Permalink · Report

It could be much worse... think about an incompetently developed game with barbie & pink ponies. XD

Indra was here (20752) on 10/13/2008 6:23 PM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Oliver Jahn wrote--]It could be much worse... think about an incompetently developed game with barbie & pink ponies. XD [/Q --end Oliver Jahn wrote--]

If the ever is such a game that's not in the database...hold it for me. I personally want to add and review it. :)

Might as well go the nightmares than wait for 'em to come to you... :p

Big John WV (26954) on 10/15/2008 3:42 AM · Permalink · Report

It does seem like games are lacking anymore, I mostly play PS2 and as of late their selection is getting...well...let's just say I can take toilet paper to them. Now granted I know they aren't having much attention paid to them since the next-gen versions are out, but damn they could at least put some effort into them. I've had bad luck with Godzilla: Unleashed, Mercs 2, Iron Man, they just getting crappier and crappier and I can't figure out how these things pass onto the market. I think there should be a law where developers would have to refund money to players if they get a universally bad score based on a variety of review sites like GamePro, EGM and so-on. Now I do have to admit I just finished Star Wars: The Force Unleashed for the PS2 and it ain't half bad, it's nothing compared to the next-gen versions, but as a stand alone its pretty decent.

Indra was here (20752) on 10/15/2008 5:49 PM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Big John WV wrote--]It does seem like games are lacking anymore, I mostly play PS2 and as of late their selection is getting...well...let's just say I can take toilet paper to them. [/Q --end Big John WV wrote--]

I wonder how younger games feel about their games? Hell, when I was a kid, all the games were great...maybe only because I had little to compare them with. Now, able to tell the difference between "legendary, great, good, mediocre, bad, really bad, disaster and Dan Quayle," many of those classic games I thought were great, ended up being just "mediocre" or less by my current standards (even after comparing to the technological advancement of that particular age). Though some, still remain legendary or great in my book.

Slug Camargo (583) on 10/15/2008 7:47 PM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Indra Depari of 'da Clan Depari wrote--]Though some, still remain legendary or great in my book. [/Q --end Indra Depari of 'da Clan Depari wrote--] That's because you haven't played them again recently. And I strongly recommend you do not. Just keep your fond memories of how good you think you remember they were. It's for the best.

Like a great man said: "Old games are not better, they're just old. And wrinkly and fat. The potential for games has only gotten better as technology advances, in indirect proportion to the worsening of your memory." In other words: Cut it out already with glorifying ancient unidimensional shoot 'em up's like they were The Truth Revealed or something.

Indra was here (20752) on 10/15/2008 8:00 PM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Dr. Von Katze wrote--] [Q2 --start Indra Depari of 'da Clan Depari wrote--]Though some, still remain legendary or great in my book. [/Q2 --end Indra Depari of 'da Clan Depari wrote--] That's because you haven't played them again recently. And I strongly recommend you do not. Just keep your fond memories of how good you think you remember they were. It's for the best. [/Q --end Dr. Von Katze wrote--]

Actually, I have, my good doctor. So far the only one that really became a disaster was Ultima VI: The False Prophet. Which after I tried was a complete graphical disaster (even in EGA)...and I finished it with CGA graphics.

Other games, still passed with flying colors...Dark Heart of Uukrul, Lands of Lore, Nobunaga's Ambition 2, Darklands, Heroes Quest, Monkey Island, etc.

...and Alley Cat.

vedder (70931) on 10/15/2008 8:19 PM · Permalink · Report

I started playing old games two years or so ago. And I must say that most of the games I thought great back then were still great now. And since I've also played a lot of old games I had never played before and thought great now as well. So I totally cannot agree with Dr. Von Katze. And I assume my sentiment is a common one here at mobygames.

Slug Camargo (583) on 10/15/2008 11:35 PM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start stvedder wrote--]I started playing old games two years or so ago. And I must say that most of the games I thought great back then were still great now. And since I've also played a lot of old games I had never played before and thought great now as well. So I totally cannot agree with Dr. Von Katze. And I assume my sentiment is a common one here at mobygames. [/Q --end stvedder wrote--] More power to you and anyone who can float their boat with DOSBox and a couple megs worth of games, I guess. Me, I can't look at platformers the same way after the Prince of Persia trilogy, much as I can't look at adventures the same way after Fahrenheit, as I can't look at storytelling-driven games the same way after Bioshock, and I can't look at horror games the same way after Condemned.

Whenever I play such cornerstones in gaming, I expect --no, not "expect", I demand future games to pick up and improve whatever makes those games great. Damnit >:(

Indra was here (20752) on 10/16/2008 6:31 PM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Dr. Von Katze wrote--] Me, I can't look at platformers the same way after the aaaah, migraines! trilogy... [/Q --end Dr. Von Katze wrote--]

Well, platform games are different issue, mate. It's more graphically centered...and messes up one's memory big time after comparing it with more graphically advanced games. I suspect the same applies to most console games to a certain degree...

Slug Camargo (583) on 10/16/2008 11:03 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Indra Depari of 'da Clan Depari wrote--] the aaaah, migraines! trilogy... [/Q --end Indra Depari of 'da Clan Depari wrote--] You do realize that pressing on with this subject is making you sound like quite the pussy, right? And I understand that's not the way you get all the pretty girls :P

Indra was here (20752) on 10/17/2008 6:58 PM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Dr. Von Katze wrote--] [Q2 --start Indra Depari of 'da Clan Depari wrote--] the aaaah, migraines! trilogy... [/Q2 --end Indra Depari of 'da Clan Depari wrote--] You do realize that pressing on with this subject is making you sound like quite the pussy, right? And I understand that's not the way you get all the pretty girls :P [/Q --end Dr. Von Katze wrote--]

Last time I checked, my good doctor. You ain't pretty. :) Dignified perhaps, but certainly not pretty. Woof.

mobiusclimber (235) on 10/15/2008 11:50 PM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start stvedder wrote--]I started playing old games two years or so ago. And I must say that most of the games I thought great back then were still great now. And since I've also played a lot of old games I had never played before and thought great now as well. So I totally cannot agree with Dr. Von Katze. And I assume my sentiment is a common one here at mobygames. [/Q --end stvedder wrote--]

I think I agree more with Indra here, tho not quite so vehemently. Some games which I thought were masterpieces when I was a kid are turning out to not be so, yet others have in fact stood the test of time. I'm also discovering games that I didn't know about, didn't have or didn't have the console for back then and seeing what great games there were. So far the good outweigh the bad.

Pseudo_Intellectual (66423) on 10/15/2008 8:30 PM · Permalink · Report

...and Alley Cat.

I was just pitching Alley Cat to my cat-loving recent girlfriend last night. I get the feeling this test will be a make-or-break relationship experience.

Indra was here (20752) on 10/16/2008 6:34 PM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Pseudo_Intellectual wrote--] I was just pitching Alley Cat to my cat-loving recent girlfriend last night. I get the feeling this test will be a make-or-break relationship experience. [/Q --end Pseudo_Intellectual wrote--]

I dunno about you mate, but girls and games never seem to mix...(with the exception that the girl is in to games in the first place).

Do let us know when you break up.... ;)

chirinea (47496) on 10/16/2008 6:39 PM · Permalink · Report

My friend's wife plays World of Warcraft. I know, playing MMORPGs isn't the same as playing games, but anyway... =P

Indra was here (20752) on 10/16/2008 6:42 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

[Q --start chirinea wrote--]My friend's wife plays World of Warcraft. I know, playing MMORPGs isn't the same as playing games, but anyway... =P [/Q --end chirinea wrote--]

Depeche Mike Isguder (former fiance now wife) is a delight for nerds (lucky bastard). If I remember him saying, that she doesn't play games, but enjoys watching him play them...tell that to my ex's.

Someone inform me if such beings are available as twins (why is it everytime I recall twins, I remember Swedish blonds?) and shippable through UPS. :)

chirinea (47496) on 10/16/2008 6:46 PM · Permalink · Report

My girlfriend enjoys playing Mahjohng in her laptop and since I presented her Frozen Bubble she's showing some addiction traces. She plays Travian regularly and she even beat some Genesis game I never did.

Indra was here (20752) on 10/16/2008 7:17 PM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start chirinea wrote--]My girlfriend enjoys playing Mahjohng in her laptop... [/Q --end chirinea wrote--]

Back again are we? You keep forgetting to update me, professor! :)

chirinea (47496) on 10/16/2008 7:37 PM · Permalink · Report

All those clover cigarettes are affecting your memory, Mr. lawyer!

Игги Друге (46653) on 10/17/2008 7:01 PM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Dr. Von Katze wrote--] Like a great man said: "Old games are not better, they're just old. And wrinkly and fat. The potential for games has only gotten better as technology advances, in indirect proportion to the worsening of your memory." In other words: Cut it out already with glorifying ancient unidimensional shoot 'em up's like they were The Truth Revealed or something. [/Q --end Dr. Von Katze wrote--] Shut up. Games are dictated by their technological potential and their technological limitations. We don't see our current limitations, or how potential limits us. Who said that games are improved by bigger budgets and more technology, when all the budget is spent on technology? Who said that games should mimic reality when they are supposed to be games?

Slug Camargo (583) on 10/17/2008 9:49 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Игги Друге wrote--] Shut up. [/Q --end Игги Друге wrote--] OK, first off, you don't tell me to shut up. What you think you scare me with your mean-stare avatar and all those bizarre characters in your name? Pffffft. My cat has a moustache, in case you didn't notice ¬¬

Also, I'm a doctor.

[Q --start Игги Друге wrote--] Who said that games are improved by bigger budgets and more technology, when all the budget is spent on technology? Who said that games should mimic reality when they are supposed to be games? [/Q --end Игги Друге wrote--] I don't know, buddy; I didn't, that's for sure. Read my post again, because you're missing the point by about ten thousand kilometers :rolleyes:

Игги Друге (46653) on 10/18/2008 9:00 PM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Dr. Von Katze wrote--] [Q2 --start Игги Друге wrote--] Shut up. [/Q2 --end Игги Друге wrote--] OK, first off, you don't tell me to shut up. What you think you scare me with your mean-stare avatar and all those bizarre characters in your name? Pffffft. My cat has a moustache, in case you didn't notice ¬¬

Also, I'm a doctor. [/Q --end Dr. Von Katze wrote--] Do you really think you scare me? Old nazi doctors like you would be put in the deepest cell of the most secure prison if you ever left your hideout in America.

[Q --start Dr. Von Katze wrote--] [Q2 --start Игги Друге wrote--] Who said that games are improved by bigger budgets and more technology, when all the budget is spent on technology? Who said that games should mimic reality when they are supposed to be games? [/Q2 --end Игги Друге wrote--] I don't know, buddy; I didn't, that's for sure. Read my post again, because you're missing the point by about ten thousand kilometers :rolleyes: [/Q --end Dr. Von Katze wrote--] If you ever say a bad thing about unidimensional shoot'em'ups I will tell Mossad where you live.

Unicorn Lynx (181771) on 10/19/2008 4:43 AM · Permalink · Report

If you ever say a bad thing about unidimensional shoot'em'ups I will tell Mossad where you live.

They already know. He once told me something about supporting Greater Palestine.

Big John WV (26954) on 10/19/2008 5:02 AM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Indra Depari of 'da Clan Depari wrote--] I wonder how younger games feel about their games? Hell, when I was a kid, all the games were great...maybe only because I had little to compare them with. Now, able to tell the difference between "legendary, great, good, mediocre, bad, really bad, disaster and Dan Quayle," many of those classic games I thought were great, ended up being just "mediocre" or less by my current standards (even after comparing to the technological advancement of that particular age). Though some, still remain legendary or great in my book. [/Q --end Indra Depari of 'da Clan Depari wrote--]

I tell you what, I remember the day back in the day when the NES came out, I was so psyched since the only thing I had played was Atari and the first time I played Super Mario Bros. I just about crapped my pants, it was like a godsend, kinda like the first time man discovered fire. Since then I've seen games get more sophisticated and more beautiful, until the point it is today, but sadly though its nothing more than a money game. I think the reason why games were so good back then is because they were more straightforward and the younger you were, the more awestruck, perhaps we've gotten so dependent on the game's nowadays we expect too much.

But, I did have an experience with my oldest nephew who is 19, he actually said that he wouldn't know what to do without his PS2 and how sucky games are getting nowadays, I almost wanted to smack him, he grew up around SNES and further on and never experienced NES and god forbid Atari or even Vectrex, so just to show him what I had to play back in the days, I dusted of my 2600 and whipped out E.T. Oh yes, he had an appreciation for what he has nowadays, LOL.

Indra was here (20752) on 10/19/2008 7:32 PM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Big John WV wrote--] Oh yes, he had an appreciation for what he has nowadays, LOL. [/Q --end Big John WV wrote--]

Heh. More or less the same reaction when I show my nieces or nephews my games with ASCII or CGA graphics...when they start complaining about how lousy the graphics of PS2/3 are sometimes.

Although I really hoped we had virtual reality games by now. So much for cyberpunk expectations in the real world.

Big John WV (26954) on 10/20/2008 11:21 PM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Indra Depari of 'da Clan Depari wrote--] Although I really hoped we had virtual reality games by now. So much for cyberpunk expectations in the real world. [/Q --end Indra Depari of 'da Clan Depari wrote--]

I remember when they used to talk about them all the time when I was a teen. I actually got to experience one up in Canada in a special arcade, I swear they put a Virtual Boy helmet on me for it and had me put on some weird boots that were so damn tight I could barely fit my foot into them, of course it didn't help when your a size 13. Anyway, it was an odd experience, it was like vector graphics, but it did look like you were actually in a game, was awesome. Just a shame that it didn't catch on, it was pretty neat, primitive compared to today, but neat.

beetle120 (2415) on 10/21/2008 2:02 AM · Permalink · Report

Yeah I remember those, they were the big thing when the first 3D games came out. I guess they were wanting to do that for a long time so as soon as 3D became cheap they started. I think that was it's downfall though as the graphics and the tech in the 3D glasses were not good enough at the time to do it property and so it failed. Due to that failure no one dared to try it again. It would be so cool though if you could play something like GTA in VR and it totally possible too, technically speaking.

Big John WV (26954) on 10/21/2008 3:05 AM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start beetle120 wrote--]It would be so cool though if you could play something like GTA in VR and it totally possible too, technically speaking. [/Q --end beetle120 wrote--]

I've always that that would be cool myself, but of course you will have those nuts screaming how its teaching kids how to shoot guns and they need to be banned and blah blah blah, lol.

Indra was here (20752) on 10/21/2008 4:18 PM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start beetle120 wrote--]Due to that failure no one dared to try it again. It would be so cool though if you could play something like GTA in VR and it totally possible too, technically speaking. [/Q --end beetle120 wrote--]

I was thinking now more in the realm of hentai cough.
But seriously, any word of re-development in VR? I haven't experienced it so, its one of those childhood fantansies that needs to be fulfilled. I'm assuming its different from a watching a moving with 3D glasses...or similar?

Big John WV (26954) on 10/21/2008 5:09 PM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Indra Depari of 'da Clan Depari wrote--] [Q2 --start beetle120 wrote--]Due to that failure no one dared to try it again. It would be so cool though if you could play something like GTA in VR and it totally possible too, technically speaking. [/Q2 --end beetle120 wrote--]

I was thinking now more in the realm of hentai cough.
But seriously, any word of re-development in VR? I haven't experienced it so, its one of those childhood fantansies that needs to be fulfilled. I'm assuming its different from a watching a moving with 3D glasses...or similar? [/Q --end Indra Depari of 'da Clan Depari wrote--]

Hentai huh? LOL wink, wink I know where your getting at. LOL. But with the redevelopment I haven't heard anything for a long time. I think some of the original machines still exist, but they're in special arcades and cost a fortune to play. Here where I live our mall actually got a virtual arcade that was $5 a pop. Sadly I never got to try it out since it only last a month and I was too busy to get to it.

Elliott Wu (40) on 11/21/2008 3:14 AM · Permalink · Report

I always wonder one particular thing... how would you move around in VR beyond just the boots? I mean, the limits of your movement would be literally confined by the size of the VR room itself. (unless you're sitting in some giant hamster ball thing) Of course, they could also always just do it Segway style and not have you do any of the actual walk... Just lean forward and run!

Big John WV (26954) on 11/21/2008 8:47 PM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Elliott Wu wrote--]I always wonder one particular thing... how would you move around in VR beyond just the boots? I mean, the limits of your movement would be literally confined by the size of the VR room itself. (unless you're sitting in some giant hamster ball thing) Of course, they could also always just do it Segway style and not have you do any of the actual walk... Just lean forward and run! [/Q --end Elliott Wu wrote--]

From what I remember it was like a big platform, the only way I can describe it imagine from Street Fighter the movie, M. Bisons floating platform and remove all the stuff on it, something like that. They put a glove on my hand and I squeezed my finger like I was shooting a gun, from what I remember I moved my foot up and down in place to walk. The game was some kind of shooter on a bunch of stairs, it was very very awkward, but it was fun to experience VR for the first time when you're a kid though.

Elliott Wu (40) on 11/24/2008 8:18 AM · Permalink · Report

I remember I once tried a VR game that had me wearing this helmet and sitting in this spherical thing with controls in it. I basically was piloting a mech in VR, which was kind of cool and all but man I got SOOO nauseous from it. I hope the day that we perfect our VR technology I won't STILL be stranded in this crappy 256 color reality of ours! I mean, just look at that car sitting outside my office window! clearly it was photoshopped! the light reflection on it is totally off!

continues to blend reality with fantasy whilst his mind continues it's spiraling decent into crushing insanity

ahh bliss

beetle120 (2415) on 11/24/2008 9:49 AM · Permalink · Report

I remember playing a real pinball a while back and thinking "I wonder how well it does the physics, been as old as it is"