🕹️ New release: Lunar Lander Beyond

Forums > Game Forums > What a name!

Pseudo_Intellectual (66362) on 10/17/2007 6:55 AM · Permalink · Report

Are we really obligated to refer to it by such a mouthful if the developers insist on being such ego-addled asshats? I hope we can have "table tennis" as an "alternate title: for everyone who doesn't work at Rockstar"

Depeche Mike (17455) on 10/17/2007 12:59 PM · Permalink · Report

I've only played this a few times but I'm surprised that the main title is that as well. I also don't think it's right and I wouldn't search for it under that name.

Sciere (930490) on 10/17/2007 2:52 PM · Permalink · Report

We had our own rockstar EboMike confirm it.

Игги Друге (46653) on 10/18/2007 9:48 PM · Permalink · Report

So on the cover, it says: Rockstar Games presents Rockstar Games presents Table Tennis?

mobiusclimber (235) on 10/18/2007 11:01 PM · Permalink · Report

oh come on, this isn't so egotistical as all that! i mean, really, it's just so they can... you know... differentiate their console version of table tennis from all the other console table tennis games.

Pseudo_Intellectual (66362) on 10/19/2007 1:58 AM · Permalink · Report

so they can... you know... differentiate

"Rockstar Table Tennis" would do the trick... unless someone has already scooped that name for a game featuring actual rock stars playing table tennis.

Sciere (930490) on 10/18/2007 11:35 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

Normally, we'd leave it out, but that's the way it was put out in press releases, official marketing and about every site you can think of. The most obvious reason must have been not to have the game get lost in regular table tennis search engine hits. Or, they could have named it Grand Smash Table.

Slug Camargo (583) on 10/18/2007 11:17 PM · Permalink · Report

What about our man here, then?

Pseudo_Intellectual (66362) on 10/19/2007 1:56 AM · Permalink · Report

What about our man here, then?

yes, we make fun of him also 8)

Shoddyan (15004) on 11/16/2007 11:09 AM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Pseudo_Intellectual wrote--]Are we really obligated to refer to it by such a mouthful if the developers insist on being such ego-addled asshats? I hope we can have "table tennis" as an "alternate title: for everyone who doesn't work at Rockstar" [/Q --end Pseudo_Intellectual wrote--]

Well you can refer to it as whatever you want... but officially, that's the right title. If it makes you feel any better, TV shows and movies do the same thing. From
"Charlton Heston Presents the Bible" to a few direct-to-video things that start with "American Pie presents..." and "MTV Presents...."

I think some books do too.

chirinea (47495) on 11/19/2007 2:11 AM · Permalink · Report

So, should we get this renamed?

Shoddyan (15004) on 11/19/2007 8:50 PM · Permalink · Report

Well in Table Tennis' case, ALL references to it on the coverand title screens use the full title. Quite simply, it's just always referred to it that way within the game's contents. In the case of your link, only the front cover contains the "Cinemaware presents" and it's positioned away from the title, the same way the console-specific words of "Playstation 2" or "Nintendo Gamecube" might be. Other references including the title screen, back of the cover box and diskette just call it "The Kristal"

I say no, but maybe others disagree. I'd still probably accept it as an alt title.

St. Martyne (3648) on 11/19/2007 9:03 PM · Permalink · Report

For PC games the title mentioned in the EULA is the best bet. I'm not sure if those are available for console games though. Press releases or manuals with some dry language in them might work just as fine.