DescriptionMarshall James Anderson had been a great gunfighter. He had worn the badge of the law and put men to death or to jail. But a Marshall can only travel alone so long. And so James Anderson retired; he got himself a wife, got himself some land, got himself a daughter and dedicated himself to the peaceful life of a home on the range.
The Gentleman, Bob Graham, has other plans for James Anderson's plot of land however. It sits right along some prime real estate for where the railroad is going to go, and whoever could own that land might be able to get rich setting up a town. So Bob hires himself up some of the roughest and toughest ruffians west of the Mississippi to try and "persuade" Anderson and the other land-owners to sell or abandon their lands.
James Anderson returns home from town one day to find his homestead aflame, his wife killed and his daughter abducted by Bob's henchmen. Not willing to trust in the fates, Anderson dusts off his six-shooter, digs up his buried shotgun and dons his old tin star. He's about to follow the trail of these men across deserts and valleys, until he finds his daughter.
Outlaws is a first-person shooter set in the American Old West, featuring hand-drawn graphics and a stylized soundtrack. Locations include outdoor as well as indoor areas, most with a characteristic Western flavor: a small town with one main street and a saloon, a canyon, a speeding train, and others. The Marshall uses firearms such as a revolver, single- and double-barrel shotgun, a rifle (with or without a sniper scope), and others. In dark areas James can light a lamp, for which he will have to find canisters of oil.
The game contains no supernatural elements: enemies encountered in it are exclusively human. The gameplay focuses on combat, though exploring the levels is necessary in order to locate various keys needed to unlock the next part, or discover secret areas. Manual reloading of the guns is required during combat.
A secondary game mode, called "Historical Missions", allows the player to relive Anderson's rise to the rank of U.S. Marshal. Each of the missions involves the protagonist capturing a killing a criminal, preferably recovering gold stolen by them. Ranks (Deputy, Sheriff, and Marshal) are awarded to the player upon a mission's completion.
- "Outlaws: Die Gesetzlosen" -- German title
- "Outlaws: Cidade Sem Lei" -- Brazilian title
Part of the Following Groups
|Game Revolution||Jun 05, 2004||A-||91|
|Coming Soon Magazine||May 16, 1997||87 out of 100||87|
|GameSpot||Apr 30, 1997||8.6 out of 10||86|
|Gamezilla||Dec 13, 2000||86 out of 100||86|
|Privat Computer PC||1997||86 out of 100||86|
|Jeuxvideo.com||Jan 05, 2010||17 out of 20||85|
|PC Games (Germany)||May, 1997||82 out of 100||82|
|PC Joker||May, 1997||78 out of 100||78|
|PC Player (Germany)||May, 1997||60|
|Topic||# Posts||Last Post|
|No music.||26||The Fabulous King (1303)
Jul 19, 2007
PatchesThe update to version 2.0 adds four new additional levels ("Civil War", "Ice Caves", "Villa" and "Wharf Town") with completely new terrain never before seen in Outlaws such as ice and vast snow terrains, huge rivers or sunken cities. It also adds music to the levels on the second CD. A Direct3D patch lets the game use slightly higher resolution and improved textures.
SoundtrackOutlaws' musical score was included on the game CDs on Red Book Audio tracks so one can listen to the music with an ordinary CD player. As of 2000, a separate stand-alone soundtrack album is available at LucasArts Company Store as a bonus for the buyers of Outlaws.
- "1138" sighting: Engine number of the train in the intro. (1138 is a reference to George Lucas' first feature film: THX-1138)
- Bob Graham's Big Rock Ranch is a tribute to George Lucas' Big Rock Ranch in Marin County, CA.
- The character 'Bloodeye' Tim was named as an homage to Tim Schafer who Shaw worked with on Full Throttle.
- Max, the wicked bunny from Sam & Max Hit the Road makes an appearance in western style in Outlaws.
- Computer Gaming World
- March 1998 (Issue #164) – Musical Achievement of the Year
Related Web Sites
- Outlaws (official website)
- Outlaws- Best of the West (Contains totally new levels along with help and information. Boasts of having the largest cheats for outlaws on the web.)
- Outlaws Game Taunts (A list of all the legendary taunts in the game.)
- Paleface's Opinionated Outlaws Site (P.O.O.S.) (Outlaws site with tons of maps and various patches. Run Outlaws under Direct3D!)
- Rogers Outlaws Page (Contains cheats, walkthroughts, files and links)