This is the scrolling beat 'em up by Technos which started the Kunio / Nekketsu High
series. The original takes takes place in a Japanese city, whereas its western version named Renegade
is set on the mean streets of Brooklyn. This conversion later produced unofficial sequels Target: Renegade
and Renegade III: The Final Chapter
. You must venture through to meet your girlfriend, and then rescue her from her kidnappers. This is split into five levels, taking you through the subway and the docks as well as some inhospitable streets. A wide range of aggressive moves are on offer, including headbutts, kicks, punches and flying kicks. Much of the game's violence is depicted in a fairly tongue-in-cheek style, with an element of attempted humour along the way.
- "熱血硬派くにおくん" -- Japanese spelling
- "Nekketsu Kouha Kunio-kun" -- Japanese title
- "Ghetto" -- Italian title
- "Arcade Archives: Renegade" -- PS4 title
Part of the Following Groups
There are currently no topics for this game.
On February 27, 1988, Renegade
was put on the infamous German index by the BPjS. For more information about what this means and to see a list of games sharing the same fate, take a look here: BPjS/BPjM indexed games
The original Japanese version (Nekketsu Kouha Kunio-kun
) was the first title in the Nekketsu / Kunio-Kun" series
which always revolve around the Nekketsu highschool and it's gangs. As such the Japanese Renegade
has all characters dressed in school uniforms, and the backgrounds include schoolyards and other recognizably Japanese locations. The graphics were all re-drawn to fit into the "street fighting gangs" theme that was so popular at the time for the foreign releases however.
ZX Spectrum versions
There are two versions of the game: 48K and 128K. The latter is an enhanced edition that contains an additional level, in-game music and a shoulder throw manoeuvre.
Information also contributed by
- October 1988 (issue #13) - Included in the Top-100 list of 1987/1988 (editorial staff selection)
- Commodore Format
- July 1993 (Issue 34) - Modern Classics: Beat-'em-ups
- Computer and Video Games
- May 1988 (Issue #79) - Golden Joystick 1988 Award: Third in category Game of the Year
- May 1988 (Issue #79) - Golden Joystick 1988 Award: Runner up in category Arcade Game of the Year
- Power Play
- 1987 - #3 Best CPC Game '87
Related Web Sites
(66799) added Renegade
(ZX Spectrum) on Nov 27, 2004