Forums > MobyGames > Game split/merges - 2020

MAT (240988) on 1/20/2020 4:14 AM · edited · Reply · Permalink · Report

Adding a thread for requests and/or questions about splitting or merging games for year 2020.

MAT (240988) on 1/20/2020 4:18 AM · edited · Reply · Permalink · Report

For some reason we have two entries for this game, and even group on top of that, but is there any difference to 2015 release or is it simply Win 7/8/10 release instead of Win 95 as the original game from 1999 had requirement?

King of Dragon Pass (1999)

King of Dragon Pass (2015)

We have GOG covers under both entries. Anyway, I just recently bought a GOG.com release and they include both 2015 and 1999 version installers so if these two are separate entries, then GOG.com should be a third entry which is bundle of the two.

Although I don't see any difference in scraped description or screenshots so these two entries might well be merged.

Can anyone confirm why this is split or if it should be merged?

Rwolf (23086) on 1/20/2020 10:32 AM · edited · Reply · Permalink · Report

I don't know the game, but I see in the discussion forum (2015) for the first game, there is a mention of the new version, which recommended a split:

https://www.mobygames.com/game/king-of-dragon-pass/forums/dga,2/dgm,212556/

...and that would make the GOG version (bundle) a new entry, I guess.

Cavalary (11447) on 1/20/2020 11:15 PM · Reply · Permalink · Report

The 1999 one is the actual Windows version, the 2015 one is the port of the mobile version, with I seem to remember some 30odd new possible events, some things removed (like the different kinds of crops), interface changes...

MAT (240988) on 1/21/2020 2:34 AM · Reply · Permalink · Report

What's interesting is that GOG has 2015 as release date on their site. Just as we have under Steam release info.

However, we also have GOG.com release info from 2012. That was before mobile port Windows release was released, right? So, did GOG.com initially released an old original Windows release and later in 2015 included the mobile port as main and moved the old Windows as a bonus content download?

If so, original GOG release can stay under old Windows release, and the new one should be added as a third entry which is a bundle of the two.

Cavalary (11447) on 1/21/2020 2:40 AM · edited · Reply · Permalink · Report

nods They initially released the original game (with the devs saying they were baffled they could get it to work on modern systems since they couldn't figure out how to do that), then the port was added, as the same catalog entry basically, with the old left as bonus, so owners of the old one got the new one for free and new buyers got both.

Original release announcement | Remastered release announcement

MAT (240988) on 1/21/2020 2:44 AM · Reply · Permalink · Report

I googled and found it, they mentioned they updated it to remastered in 2017 so I'll use that as the release date of the bundle...

https://www.gog.com/news/king_of_dragon_pass_updated_to_remastered_version

...BTW, they don't mention Macintosh platform on game page but I downloaded remastered Mac version as well, so their product page about the game is incomplete but you get both MAC/WIN versions. Original one from 1999 was Windows-only installer.

Cavalary (11447) on 1/21/2020 2:46 AM · Reply · Permalink · Report

Yeah, edited to add the links while you were looking it seems.

For some reason GOG removed the Mac listing for all games that are 32-bit only, since they won't work on Catalina, instead of simply saying they only work on versions older than that, like they do for Windows. Funnily, that means they can't put Mac requirements anywhere anymore, so you get a notice that the game's 32-bit only and won't work on latest version in the Windows requirements.

MAT (240988) on 1/21/2020 3:07 AM · edited · Reply · Permalink · Report

Anyway, added it and moved new GOG covers. Hope the info's correct. If not, please feel free to fix it.

https://www.mobygames.com/game/king-of-dragon-pass__

vua bai79 on 9/12/2022 2:45 AM · edited · Reply · Permalink · Report

[spam redacted]

Deleted (13944) on 2/6/2020 3:10 PM · Reply · Permalink · Report

I have a new entry pending to split the GBA and N-Gage platforms of Crash Nitro Kart into; view my approval comments on that entry for more details!

MAT (240988) on 2/10/2020 5:43 AM · edited · Reply · Permalink · Report

I checked the submission. Will approve it later today and move the platforms.

Edit: Done. Moved the stuff to new entry.

Easiest way for splitting platform is to move platforms as a whole to a new entry. And this can be done in a way that you create new entry for a platform that doesn't have any connection, then I can move GBA and NG platforms and remove/reject originally submitted platforms which was just used so other two can be moved to that new entry.

In this way, I had to move all items individually from platforms on the old entry, then reject those platforms on the old entry. It's still easy to do, but the other way is quicker (takes seconds and not minutes). Either way is fine, just letting you know for the future ;)) Everybody probably always use the longer method because it makes more sense logically and are unaware of how things work behind the scenes ;))

Similarly, merging platforms is 2 seconds job when you merge different platforms. Merging games with same platform is again moving down individual items and rejecting the old entry. But with merging there's no choice of how to do it, with splitting there is :)

MAT (240988) on 3/26/2020 6:00 AM · Reply · Permalink · Report

Just bought PSN release of Control and noticed some extras included. Upon doing some research, found info from the official Remedy's site...

Will post images here to help me do the splits...

Official info from Remedy's web site (https://controlgame.com/control-pre-order-faq/)...

Additional info from polygon site (https://www.polygon.com/deals/2019/8/20/20812653/control-pre-order-comparison-standard-deluxe-edition-release-date-bonus)...

MAT (240988) on 3/26/2020 6:40 AM · Reply · Permalink · Report

Okay, I've split PS4 version from XB1/PC. And also added another PS4 entry for pre-order releases (treating it as special edition).

Don't care about XB1/PC releases so if anyone wants to cover those variations, go for it :)

Kennyannydenny (128158) on 3/26/2020 10:35 PM · Reply · Permalink · Report

I'll see about adding the Xbox One platform to the pre-order version if I actually remember to do that and the Xbox One pre-order version is the same (which I probably won't :/). Too late in the evening now though to do it immediately.

Kennyannydenny (128158) on 3/27/2020 9:31 AM · Reply · Permalink · Report

Xbox One version was vastly different, with just those two dlc's as pre-order bonus: https://www.ign.com/wikis/control/Preorder_Bonuses_and_Deluxe_Edition_Content So it doesn't fit as platform for that entry.

MAT (240988) on 3/26/2020 6:42 AM · Reply · Permalink · Report

Created new entry for Saboteur for PS3 cover that I own which has DLC. Also moved PC platform to that since all PC versions have it.

We still have Xbox 360 cover with that DLC so XB360 platform needs an entry there, but until "moving items between platforms" is fixed in admin panel, this cannot be done so nicely which is why my PS3 cover set is also still not moved to this new entry.

Kennyannydenny (128158) on 3/26/2020 10:31 PM · Reply · Permalink · Report

https://www.mobygames.com/game/saboteur____ also needs the xbox 360 platform (not sure if you meant that). My covers will need moving after that, but weird that you have a problem with moving items between platforms. Last time I used it it was working fine, although that's a few weeks ago.

If you need my help with anything (adding xbox platform/whatever), gimme a shout :)

MAT (240988) on 3/27/2020 11:20 AM · edited · Reply · Permalink · Report

I've talked to Tracy about the problem and he said he'll solve it soon so once that's done (if not already), I'll move both of our cover sets to new entry. But yes, if you could add Xbox 360 release info there for your Netherland release that'd be great.

Kennyannydenny (128158) on 3/29/2020 3:11 PM · Reply · Permalink · Report

Ok :) I've added the xbox 360 platform to the entry with the DLC and also to the DLC entry (as it was available in the past too separately on the xbox 360, back when we still had Microsoft Points :D)

Tracy Poff (2095) on 3/29/2020 6:11 PM · Reply · Permalink · Report

I've implemented a fix which should prevent any of the subsections overflowing (which is what was breaking the table layout). Please let me know if it has any problematic side-effects.

MAT (240988) on 3/30/2020 12:58 AM · edited · Reply · Permalink · Report

Everything works perfectly. I've moved both PS3 and XB360 covers to the new entry.

Thank you, Tracy.

PS: I've also seen new "Split Game" feature which I haven't tried yet. Thus far, we always had to create new game entry then move items. If we can now simply split game by platforms then that is one of the best additions the admins got in the past 5 years ;))

Tracy Poff (2095) on 3/30/2020 1:17 AM · Reply · Permalink · Report

Everything works perfectly.

Great!

new "Split Game" feature

On the admin split/move/merge page? That's been there forever.

MAT (240988) on 4/15/2020 9:34 AM · Reply · Permalink · Report

On file for regular ME for Xbox 360 we have several cover sets that mention included bonus DLC episode.

Xbox 360 covers

PS3 standalone entry is split because it has this bonus DLC straight away, so this should be together, right?

PS3 entry

And Windows Gold Edition release seems pretty much the same except it includes soundtrack (though not on all cover sets), so that one too should be together with the above mentioned, no?

PC Gold Edition release

Foxhack (32099) on 5/7/2020 10:50 PM · edited · Reply · Permalink · Report

According to Diet Go Go Fan over at MAMEWorld,

Great Party Games is the European release of Rec Room Games; they are the same game, and the pages should be combined.

The description for both games suggests this is the case, but I don't have access to the games to confirm. Can anyone chime in?

Alaka (106570) on 5/7/2020 11:44 PM · Reply · Permalink · Report

I looked into it and that seems correct that they should be merged, Arcade Moon is probably the correct developer.

MAT (240988) on 5/22/2020 2:07 AM · Reply · Permalink · Report

I remember playing this game some 20+ years ago on DOS (although for some reason, I remember playing it on Amiga, lol).

Anyway, I do remember that battles and most of gameplay takes place on those isometric bird-eye city maps, but looking at all other platforms, none of the screenshots have them but only top-down and very different.

I am not familiar with that game on other platforms, but are they even the same or do they only share the name but otherwise should be split?

URL: Operation Europe: Path to Victory 1939-45

S Olafsson (60081) on 5/26/2020 10:47 PM · Reply · Permalink · Report

Shouldn't this be two separate entries?

Moby Entry for Sweevo's World

See Trivia:

"The 128K version Sweevo's Whirled adds 50 extra screens but is not compatible with +2A or +3 models, although the original 48K version is. Both versions were released with major bugs - Sweevo's Whirled cannot be completed due to the last Brownie not being accessible (apparently a consequence of parts of the code being moved around to accommodate the extra screens), while Sweevo's World can be completed but a screen display error will then make it impossible to start a new game."

ZXDB Entry for Sweevo's World

ZXDB Entry for Sweevo's Whirled

Alaka (106570) on 5/27/2020 4:27 AM · edited · Reply · Permalink · Report

[Q --start S Olafsson wrote--]Shouldn't this be two separate entries?

Moby Entry for Sweevo's World

See Trivia:

"The 128K version Sweevo's Whirled adds 50 extra screens but is not compatible with +2A or +3 models, although the original 48K version is. Both versions were released with major bugs - Sweevo's Whirled cannot be completed due to the last Brownie not being accessible (apparently a consequence of parts of the code being moved around to accommodate the extra screens), while Sweevo's World can be completed but a screen display error will then make it impossible to start a new game."

ZXDB Entry for Sweevo's World

ZXDB Entry for Sweevo's Whirled [/Q --end S Olafsson wrote--]

Being that both games came out for the ZX Spectrum, it's probably worth splitting since it can be considered that Sweevo's Whirled is an enhanced version of the original.

edit: OK I created a new entry. Let me know if anything else needs to get moved over to it.

S Olafsson (60081) on 5/26/2020 10:53 PM · Reply · Permalink · Report

Similar to the above:

Moby Entry for Match Day

See Trivia:

"Ocean released a special version of the game for the 128K Spectrum. It was bundled in a compilation pack called Stars that contained Daley Thompson's Super-Test, The Neverending Story, International Match Day and Yie Ar Kung-Fu +2. International Match Day was basically Match Day but was enhanced with a new international league, an improved AY rendition of the title theme tune and a comedy crowd celebration that played when a goal was scored."

ZXDB Entry for Match Day

But it was also released on its own:

ZXDB Entry for International Match Day

Should International Match Day be submitted as a separate game?

Deleted (13944) on 6/2/2020 3:16 PM · Reply · Permalink · Report

https://www.mobygames.com/game/legend-of-zelda-twilight-princess

Based on the bullet list of differences in the description, I think this entry should be split. Foxhack mentioned on the Discord server that touchscreen support alone is enough to warrant it for a split. However, I think I was told before not to split it, so I wanted to ask everyone before creating a new game entry.

MAT (240988) on 6/5/2020 4:45 AM · Reply · Permalink · Report

If enhanced graphics means improved graphics or textures and not just same but in higher resolution, then that alone is a reason to split. Gamepad difference does not present any reason for splitting, imho. It is only natural that different system works differently. But a new dungeon is new level, so that is definitely a reason to split (but not if this is something that is not included with the game but just something which can freely be downloaded as an addition). New difficulty mode isn't a reason to split.

So while other differences are fine mentioned as a bullet, the biggest and only reason for splitting would be if graphics are really enhanced and not just HD version, and if new/additional level is included in the game.

Deleted (13944) on 6/5/2020 6:52 PM · Reply · Permalink · Report

The new dungeon is included in the game itself (but cannot be accessed without an amiibo) and some of the textures have been enhanced (in addition to be higher resolution). I will submit a new entry tomorrow and I will use a platform other than Wii U as I remember you saying it's easier to just move the entire Wii U platform between entries and reject the platform initially used.

The Android release of the game is just a high-res version of the Wii/GameCube release (despite being released after the Wii U re-release) so it can stay.

Kabushi (261303) on 6/5/2020 9:11 PM · Reply · Permalink · Report

In my opinion, this is not enough for a new entry. Graphical changes have to be more substantial than enhanced textures and the extra dungeon is only available if you have the amiibo?

Deleted (13944) on 6/5/2020 9:55 PM · Reply · Permalink · Report

Yes that's right. There's also a new difficulty mode, some parts of gameplay have been tweaked to improve pacing, additional amiibo support for health/arrow refills, Miiverse support and (evidently) changes to the way the game is played through the Wii U Gamepad touchscreen.

I'm happy to create a new entry for this but it depends how everyone feels about it.

lights out party (85199) on 2/18/2022 3:58 PM · Reply · Permalink · Report

I don't think those changes should merit a split; some graphical changes should be expected when porting to a different systems. Likewise, some minor content changes/additions should also fall into the "expected" bracket.

GTramp (81961) on 8/5/2020 2:03 AM · Reply · Permalink · Report

Pathologic: The Marble Nest (https://www.mobygames.com/game/windows/pathologic-the-marble-nest) and Pathologic 2: Marble Nest (https://www.mobygames.com/game/windows/pathologic-2-marble-nest) is the same demo. It was first released as a standalone for Kickstarter backers, and later made availabe as DLC for Pathologic 2. This could be mentioned in the description. No need to keep 2 entries of the same thing!

tcooke182 (5922) on 8/23/2020 12:58 PM · Reply · Permalink · Report

It looks like the following two games are the same: https://www.mobygames.com/game/anteater_ https://www.mobygames.com/game/ant-eater They are by the same programmer, same platform (Atari 8-bit) and same publisher, and look the same (only aspect ratio differences).

MAT (240988) on 10/13/2020 3:10 AM · edited · Reply · Permalink · Report

We have Windows regular version of the game merged with PS4 VR version here...

https://www.mobygames.com/game/blind-spot

...yet we have Windows VR version in a separate entry...

https://www.mobygames.com/game/windows/blind-spot-vr-

...wouldn't it make more sense to move PS4 VR platform to Windows VR platform, or are there any level differences which make current situation a better fit?

Foxhack (32099) on 10/13/2020 4:47 PM · Reply · Permalink · Report

[Q --start MAT wrote--]We have Windows regular version of the game merged with PS4 VR version here...

https://www.mobygames.com/game/blind-spot

...yet we have Windows VR version in a separate entry...

https://www.mobygames.com/game/windows/blind-spot-vr-

...wouldn't it make more sense to move PS4 VR platform to Windows VR platform, or are there any level differences which make current situation a better fit? [/Q --end MAT wrote--] So Steam has a VR and a non-VR version, both are sold separately. And since there is no non-VR version on the PS4, I do think the PS4 and Windows versions should be merged; Windows non-VR Blind Spot should have its own entry.

I did not find any info regarding any differences between the PS and Windows VR versions. So that's what we should do, I think.

MAT (240988) on 10/16/2020 3:44 AM · Reply · Permalink · Report

Wait, what? You mean we should leave it as is? Even though Win VR and PS4 VR are the same game, we should still leave PS4 VR with Win non-VR release? Don't follow the logic, but whatever :P Moving PS4 platform from one to another is literally a single click and no extra work so do whichever thing makes more sense here, just thought to raise the issue.

BTW, is there even a reason to split VR and non-VR releases of the same game? I mean, we could just simply have them as different releases under same entry, should be enough. Many games often get VR or non-VR supports via patches which never requires new entries. If the game is the same and only difference is whether you play in VR or on TV, then that's really no difference, imho. Just as we don't split same game when played on TV or a handheld.

Foxhack (32099) on 10/16/2020 4:36 AM · Reply · Permalink · Report

https://www.mobygames.com/game/blind-spot - Keep as is, add "Blind Spot VR" as "Windows release title."

You're right about games getting VR patches, but for some reason this one never got that sort of patch, the devs just decided to sell both versions separately.

Also, the devs say the VR versions apparently have some exclusive content. So I dunno.

Lampbane (22145) on 10/15/2020 7:01 PM · Reply · Permalink · Report

We ended up with two entries for this, somehow. I know I checked when I submitted mine and the system didn't cough it up either. I'm okay with mine being nuked as long as my description and the correct Android release date (same as the iOS releases) get transferred over:

• Sciere's entry
  • My entry

Alaka (106570) on 10/15/2020 7:14 PM · edited · Reply · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Lampbane wrote--]We ended up with two entries for this, somehow. I know I checked when I submitted mine and the system didn't cough it up either. I'm okay with mine being nuked as long as my description and the correct Android release date (same as the iOS releases) get transferred over:

• Sciere's entry
  • My entry [/Q --end Lampbane wrote--] merged And you are saying the Oct 5 initial release date is wrong? Where did that date come from? Why isn't the iniitial release date Jul 29, 2019 which seems to be listed in its version history here.

Lampbane (22145) on 10/15/2020 8:05 PM · edited · Reply · Permalink · Report

I was just saying that this was a same day release for Android and iOS. So whatever got coughed up as the iPhone/iPad release date by the scraper should have been for Android too. You are right that it should be July 29th across all platforms. Why it wasn't, I don't know.

Lampbane (22145) on 10/16/2020 7:21 PM · Reply · Permalink · Report

Okay, I looked into it a bit and I think the August date came from the physical product release date -- so the app must have gone live earlier. I think we can actually clean up that releases page, then. Can someone handle that? I obviously do not have the POWER.

Alaka (106570) on 10/16/2020 8:10 PM · Reply · Permalink · Report

Should be cleaned up now.

MAT (240988) on 11/16/2020 6:44 AM · edited · Reply · Permalink · Report

https://www.mobygames.com/game/windows/soldiers-heroes-of-world-war-ii

https://www.mobygames.com/game/windows/soldiers-heroes-of-world-war-ii-gold-edition

Should we merge these two games? The Gold Edition appears to simply be re-release with later patch version applied which adds new stuff and fixes some.

But if you look the patch info under regular release, you will see patch version which adds all that extra stuff. There doesn't appear to be any difference in Gold and regular release other than the latest patch version. I think we should simply merge these and add Gold Edition as AKA title with "Updated title" comment.

What do you guys think? Is there any new info?

Duc Nguyen (264) on 11/24/2020 5:25 PM · edited · Reply · Permalink · Report

Uridium

The Last Starfighter

Are the games merged? I think it looks identical, and looks exactly the same, asides from the title and the music. I think the NES Last Starfighter is a port of Uridium.

Rwolf (23086) on 11/25/2020 3:59 PM · edited · Reply · Permalink · Report

The spectrum screenshots belong to this other game (which is mentioned in the adventure games approval comments as having been mixed up once already): https://www.mobygames.com/game/zx-spectrum/myth-history-in-the-making

Rejected; the platform game already had a bunch of screenshots of similar quality, so no need to move them.

As a side-note, the Speccy version of the text adventure has covers etc. here: https://spectrumcomputing.co.uk/index.php?cat=96&id=0011949 but no screenshots...the info given is that it also lacks graphics.

Duc Nguyen (264) on 11/28/2020 4:27 PM · edited · Reply · Permalink · Report

Road Raider

Mad Max

The game looks identical in presentation and graphics, but the NES Mad Max is really Road Raider/Motor Massacre with a movie license tacked in (ala Conan or Last Starfighter).

Rwolf (23086) on 11/29/2020 3:43 PM · edited · Reply · Permalink · Report

Actually, I don't find them that similar in graphics, based on the screenshots here. The developer is the same, and there is not too many years between them, but otherwise I don't see that they should be merged? Based on the youtube videos and some reviews, it's clear they are related, e.g. the indoor fighting is similar beween the games, and there is also the arena for the cars. Some cross reference trivia could be added I think.

Foxhack (32099) on 11/29/2020 4:16 PM · Reply · Permalink · Report

Mad Max is definitely based on Road Raider, but there seem to be enough story, graphic and gameplay differences to keep them separate.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Re1d3BFSEgw

The core gameplay is the same but the driving is different in Mad Max, it seems to have many more enemies on the road. The top down action scenes also seem harder in Mad Max, enemies take more shots to be killed.

Alaka (106570) on 12/11/2020 3:24 AM · Reply · Permalink · Report

MechWarrior 2: 31st Century Combat.

The console versions are probably different from the computer versions. The console version is supposedly more an arcade shooter than sim (hence the Arcade Combat Edition subtitle). Console version may have more levels? Different developer. Computer versions released in 95, consoles in 97.

Alaka (106570) on 12/17/2020 3:21 AM · Reply · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Anthony Frandsen wrote--]https://www.mobygames.com/game/nintendo-ds/think-logik-trainer https://www.mobygames.com/game/nintendo-ds/thnk-logic-trainer https://www.mobygames.com/game/nintendo-ds/think-sinnes-trainer-

These are all the same game just released in different areas. [/Q --end Anthony Frandsen wrote--]

They seem to have different developers though, usually indicating that they are different games.

Foxhack (32099) on 12/17/2020 4:26 AM · edited · Reply · Permalink · Report

Actually I think the first two may in fact be the same game.

Compare the right most image in the back cover of the first, to this promo screen from the second.

The back cover of the original release has Independent Arts' logo on it.

I'm not 100% sure because there were two Think Logik games released (the sequel being called 'Think Again') which reused some of the artwork, and the US got the original and a "Kids" version. So I'm not sure if the one we got is the original or the sequel! That said, the images we have in the th!nk Logic match up with the ones in the back cover of that, so...

Alaka (106570) on 12/17/2020 5:15 AM · Reply · Permalink · Report

Yes, the first two have a decent possibility of being the same game. The Sinnes Trainer one I would think is its own separate game though.

Koterminus (255042) on 12/18/2020 9:29 PM · Reply · Permalink · Report

It seems that Abyss of the Sacrifice is a duplicate of Misshitsu no Sacrifice (VNDb entry here). As far as I can tell, the 2020 port of the game to Windows and Switch does not come with enough changes to distinguish itself as a separate game according to our rules, but even if it did, the PSP platform should not be listed for both entries.

Kam1Kaz3NL77 (569914) on 12/18/2020 10:44 PM · Reply · Permalink · Report

Ah....the name didn't came up as a double so i honestly approved the NEW one. Will move the platforms to the old PSP entry and will disregard/reject the PSP stuff

Kam1Kaz3NL77 (569914) on 12/18/2020 10:50 PM · Reply · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Koterminus wrote--]It seems that Abyss of the Sacrifice is a duplicate of Misshitsu no Sacrifice (VNDb entry here). As far as I can tell, the 2020 port of the game to Windows and Switch does not come with enough changes to distinguish itself as a separate game according to our rules, but even if it did, the PSP platform should not be listed for both entries. [/Q --end Koterminus wrote--]

Fixed it!

Alaka (106570) on 1/28/2021 6:57 PM · edited · Reply · Permalink · Report

I Play: 3D Tennis.

Dribbling maybe.

Creatures for PSX/GBA came out about 5 years later from a different developer than the original computer version, IGN review states "While the PlayStation version of Creatures shares the same concept and ideas as the PC version from which it is based, the PC version plays entirely different."

Foxhack (32099) on 2/5/2021 6:35 AM · Reply · Permalink · Report

The GBA port added an all new storyline and a multiplayer mode. I think that's enough to keep them separate.

lights out party (85199) on 2/5/2021 11:51 AM · Reply · Permalink · Report

Multiplayer mode gets catched by the tech-specs.

Alaka (106570) on 2/5/2021 9:25 PM · Reply · Permalink · Report

The thing is we are not exactly consistent on how we handle these SNES/GBA enhanced ports

One entry
    Donkey Kong Country
    Donkey Kong Country 2: Diddy's Kong Quest
    Donkey Kong Country 3: Dixie's Double Trouble
    Final Fantasy IV (based on wonderswan color version)
    Final Fantasy VI
    Super Ghouls 'n Ghosts
    Tales of Phantasia (based on ps1 version)

Separate entries
    Final Fantasy V
    The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past (Four Swords)
    Super Mario World
    Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island

In general if this game could use the same walkthrough and the differences can be summed up succinctly in a sentence or two it should probably be merged.

Rwolf (23086) on 2/21/2021 10:28 PM · edited · Reply · Permalink · Report

That looks very similar to me; I don't have this bundle though. Wasn't this up for discussion recently - whether it was Syndicate or Syndicate Plus bundled?

chirinea (47507) on 2/22/2021 1:18 AM · edited · Reply · Permalink · Report

Cantillon mentioned having a CD with Syndicate on it, but that would be a different compilation.

Edit: the picture in the source provided by Foxhack shows a different CD, though. Same games, different art. So maybe it's not the same release.

Foxhack (32099) on 2/22/2021 4:38 AM · edited · Reply · Permalink · Report

From what I found, the Discovery CD 16 package actually came with more games. The one I added was allegedly sold with some hardware bundles, but it might have been included with others as part of other bundles.

Koterminus (255042) on 4/16/2021 1:05 AM · Reply · Permalink · Report

It looks like I made a mistake with the FarmVille 2 entry. It contains info regarding the original game (which was only released for browsers according to the developer's website) and FarmVille 2: Country Escape, which is apparently a separate game in the series. Comparing gameplay footage of FarmVille 2 with gameplay footage of FV2: Country Escape shows that they look fairly different. My bad! Must have been an early morning addition...

The evidence I provided for the entry is sound, it's just that it refers to two games instead of the one that I ended up submitting. To clarify, there should be one entry for FarmVille 2 (the browser game) and another entry for FarmVille 2: Country Escape (with the Android, iPhone, Windows Apps, and Windows Phone platforms).

Sciere (930968) on 4/16/2021 11:53 AM · Reply · Permalink · Report

If you can compose a new entry for the multiplatform FV2: CE (just the description + genres + rating categories) - and just one platform + no release info needed), I can move those platforms over and leave the original one as the browser-only game.

Koterminus (255042) on 4/16/2021 7:33 PM · edited · Reply · Permalink · Report

Done! I just realized that splitting the two entries would leave the original without a valid ad blurb in place of a description, so I submitted one from the developer's website if you want to approve that. Again, sorry for the hassle.

Rwolf (23086) on 4/25/2021 10:46 AM · edited · Reply · Permalink · Report

The DOS versions present in both releases has different tech specs & requirements when it comes to minimum memory, sound support, minimum cpu. Other than that the tech info could be merged I think - maybe a differential tech spec note is enough for those details?

However, the CD version for DOS has voice acting, not present in the floppy release, so that might mess up the user ratings and also the credits - which are rather different for the respective DOS versions. What I see, only the DOS version has credits listed from the CD release, so maybe they merged Win3 & DOS credits for the CD?

Barbarian_bros (15187) on 5/23/2021 4:27 PM · Reply · Permalink · Report

Micro Machines V3 The 2000 Game Boy Color 2D 'top down' adaptation (https://www.mobygames.com/game/gameboy-color/micro-machines-v3) should be splitted from the 1997 Playstation 3D version (https://www.mobygames.com/game/playstation/micro-machines-v3) and its 1998 Windows port.

Barbarian_bros (15187) on 6/18/2021 9:32 AM · edited · Reply · Permalink · Report

Game : The Legend of the Prophet & the Assassin

Late 2000: -The Legend of The Prophet & The Assassin. (2 CD). Arxel Tribes/Wanadoo Editions (EUR) and Arxel Tribes/Dreamcatcher (US). (https://www.mobygames.com/game/legend-of-the-prophet-the-assassin)

Spring 2001: -The Secrets of Alamût. (2 CD). Arxel Tribes/Wanadoo Editions (EUR) and Arxel Tribes/Dreamcatcher (US). (https://www.mobygames.com/game/secrets-of-alamt)

July 2001 : -The Legend of The Prophet & The Assassin. (4 CD). Arxel Tribes/Dreamcatcher (US). US only compilation of the two games. (ISBN-10: 1-55345-085-X. UPC-A: 6 25904 32320 0)

Imao, the second US release by Dreamcatcher released in summer 2001 should have its own entry on mobygames as it is a compilation of the original 2000 game and its 2001 sequel 'The Secrets of Alamût'. US cover arts on 'The Legend of the Prophet & the Assassin' page are from the US 4CD version.

MrFlibble (18361) on 6/26/2021 5:31 PM · Reply · Permalink · Report

Speedy Eggbert is apparently a re-titled re-release of Speedy Blupi, as stated on the developer website (Wayback Machine link):

Speedy Blupi has changed into Speedy Eggbert and is now marketed by eGames.

Electric Boogaloo (1916) on 7/23/2021 3:14 AM · Reply · Permalink · Report

I'm pretty sure Turnabout and U-SA are the same game - I have no clue why they are separate at this point.

https://www.mobygames.com/game/turnabout https://www.mobygames.com/game/u-sa

Foxhack (32099) on 7/24/2021 7:36 PM · Reply · Permalink · Report

Heck, both entries even have the same PS1 JP release info on file. They definitely need to be merged.

Alaka (106570) on 7/25/2021 1:10 AM · Reply · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Foxhack wrote--]Heck, both entries even have the same PS1 JP release info on file. They definitely need to be merged. [/Q --end Foxhack wrote--]

OK. Done.

Zore (2) on 8/6/2021 10:02 PM · Reply · Permalink · Report

Despite the different covers, these two "F-14 Tomcat" games from 1989/1990 for DOS and C64 should be merged:

Dos: https://www.mobygames.com/game/dos/f-14-tomcat C64: https://www.mobygames.com/game/c64/f-14-tomcat__

I'm not sure, if there is an easy way to do this.

Cheers, Zore

Foxhack (32099) on 8/6/2021 10:12 PM · Reply · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Zore wrote--]Despite the different covers, these two "F-14 Tomcat" games from 1989/1990 for DOS and C64 should be merged:

Dos: https://www.mobygames.com/game/dos/f-14-tomcat C64: https://www.mobygames.com/game/c64/f-14-tomcat__

I'm not sure, if there is an easy way to do this.

Cheers, Zore [/Q --end Zore wrote--]The C64 game was split from the DOS version back in 2013, the approver had this comment:

For a split from www.mobygames.com/game/dos/f-14-tomcat/release-info (completely different design).

Presumably he found enough differences between both versions to warrant the split, though I do not know what they might be.

TheYellowArchitect (3) on 8/7/2021 2:02 PM · Reply · Permalink · Report

First post here:

https://www.mobygames.com/game/ps3/kingdom-hearts-hd-i5-remix is a duplicate of https://www.mobygames.com/game/ps3/kingdom-hearts-hd-i5-remix_

I do not know why, it is exactly the same game, and I do think it needs merging

Sciere (930968) on 8/7/2021 2:29 PM · Reply · Permalink · Report

It doesn't matter if the title is identical, the content is different as provided by the descriptions, hence separate game entries.

barthon (66) on 9/27/2021 7:02 PM · edited · Reply · Permalink · Report

• The Citadel - Steam release
  • The Citadel - seems to be the original Japanese direct download, maybe alpha?

Sciere (930968) on 9/27/2021 9:55 PM · Reply · Permalink · Report

I assume the early release is a free / prototype / gamejam-like version, while the recent one is a more fleshed out, commercial release likely with different content. In those cases separate game entries are warranted.

Koterminus (255042) on 10/8/2021 4:58 PM · Reply · Permalink · Report

Yeah, I submitted that duplicate entry back when I was brand new to the site (a couple days after I joined), before I understood which kinds of releases would actually warrant different entries. I'll merge them now.

Cantillon (78415) on 10/29/2021 9:32 AM · Reply · Permalink · Report

The Nintendo Switch version of Jets 'n' Guns should be moved to Jets 'n' Guns Gold, as it features the comic book style briefings. (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pLfYN4gddgA)

Cantillon (78415) on 11/10/2021 4:13 PM · Reply · Permalink · Report

Done, thanks Alaka.

Cantillon (78415) on 11/9/2021 1:51 PM · edited · Reply · Permalink · Report

Everything relating to Willi Lemkes Fussballmanager should be moved from Player Manager 2 to Player Manager 2: Extra - The Chase For Glory (alternate title, the approved German release info and product codes, the DOS and Amiga covers, the promo art, ad-blurb, trivia, and some reviews)

source + see the rejected release info on the original game.

Alaka (106570) on 11/10/2021 8:36 PM · Reply · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Cantillon wrote--]Everything relating to Willi Lemkes Fussballmanager should be moved from Player Manager 2 to Player Manager 2: Extra - The Chase For Glory (alternate title, the approved German release info and product codes, the DOS and Amiga covers, the promo art, ad-blurb, trivia, and some reviews)

source + see the rejected release info on the original game. [/Q --end Cantillon wrote--]

I moved the requested items over. However, I only moved over the German language reviews. I would think the English ones could be for either game, plus there is both a Polish and Swedish language review. These reviews would need to be re-examined to determine if any more movement is needed.

Rwolf (23086) on 11/10/2021 9:52 PM · edited · Reply · Permalink · Report

I cannot see any online source for the Swedish 'High Score' magazine review of the 'Player Manager 2' game, but I have PM:ed the original submitter for clarification, if possible to identify the version. Since it was a later review, it is possible there was only one version translated to Swedish in 1996.

Both versions have the same year given as a release date, the High Score review was from the following year, but as the single review summary only complains about the poor translation to Swedish, I cannot guess at which version was reviewed.

Cantillon (78415) on 11/12/2021 7:33 AM · Reply · Permalink · Report

Same year, yes. You can see my comments on the approval page I think? First version seems to be in summer 1995, updated version in Autumn 1995.

Cantillon (78415) on 11/12/2021 7:33 AM · edited · Reply · Permalink · Report

Thanks! But the Amiga Games (Oct 1995) review needs to be moved back to the original game. (https://archive.org/details/amiga-games-1995-11/page/n31/mode/2up)

Alaka (106570) on 11/12/2021 10:38 AM · Reply · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Cantillon wrote--]Thanks! But the Amiga Games (Oct 1995) review needs to be moved back to the original game. (https://archive.org/details/amiga-games-1995-11/page/n31/mode/2up) [/Q --end Cantillon wrote--]

done.

Koterminus (255042) on 11/26/2021 11:57 PM · Reply · Permalink · Report

The Song of Saya is just a censored and localized version of Saya no Uta, which had to have the explicit content edited out for the Steam release. It also has higher resolution graphics and was ported to a new engine for better compatibility with modern systems, but neither of those things qualify it as a different game according to our standards. (A similarly updated, but uncensored, version was also released on other storefronts two years prior.)

I've noticed that we actually sometimes have separate entries for the uncensored (original release)s and censored (Steam release)s of visual novels here, but in other cases, we have shared entries for censored and uncensored versions of VNs. It doesn't look like we have an official stance on this, but the consensus (per this forum thread) seems to be that the best approach is usually to merge the censored and uncensored versions of games into a singular entry (as long as both versions were released on the same platform), apply the "Regional differences" genre, and specify the differences in the description (though I think adding a note like "censored release" to the release info would do half the job).

It also seems unnecessary to have separate entries for the censored and uncensored versions of VNs on PC when, in the vast majority of cases, the developers themselves provide free patches for the censored versions of their VNs to remove the censorship.

So here's what I'm thinking needs to be done for this game: merge everything from "The Song of Saya" entry to the "Saya no Uta" entry, change the primary title to "The Song of Saya" (the title of the US/Worldwide release), and add the Regional differences genre, and edit the description to describe the censorship in the Steam version. Am I correct?

Pseudo_Intellectual (66423) on 11/27/2021 12:24 AM · Reply · Permalink · Report

I think the prime directive of the way we handle adult games is that porn should only ever come up for someone who is explicitly looking for porn. If there's a chance that someone might be researching the G-rated version, type its name into the search engine and be welcomed to a page full of X-rated screen shots, promo shots and trailers, then I could understand the rationale for splitting them in these cases, especially where it's easy to do when they have separate titles.

Alaka (106570) on 11/27/2021 5:14 AM · Reply · Permalink · Report

Adult version split?

Reading that, they should be merged if there is no gameplay differences.

Pseudo_Intellectual (66423) on 11/28/2021 11:41 PM · Reply · Permalink · Report

I think Tracy made the best point there, which coincidentally sits with my previously expressed opinion 8)

Cantillon (78415) on 11/29/2021 7:11 AM · Reply · Permalink · Report

Yes, I agree. Different major genres (even view point as far as I am concerned) is a different game.

Alaka (106570) on 11/29/2021 12:14 PM · Reply · Permalink · Report

So we would have to split The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt since the Japanese and Middle East versions cut out the nudity? Seems a slippery slope.

Having an adult tag isn't really a gameplay genre. Just a side note that the game entry has nudity. The problem with it of course is that the adult genre here mixes R rated stuff with XXX stuff, so it's basically a disaster to begin with.

Cantillon (78415) on 11/29/2021 12:19 PM · edited · Reply · Permalink · Report

Yes, I was actually referring gameplay genres. Censorship should never be a reason to split. So maybe I was not agreeing with Pseudo then :D.

Indeed, Larry should never be lumped together with hardcore adult games.

Koterminus (255042) on 12/24/2021 10:19 PM · Reply · Permalink · Report

Thanks for the responses, everyone. I just wish there was more of a clear consensus here and on the site in general about whether these censored releases should be documented in separate entries or the same entry as the original version. Just this morning, I noticed that Kanon has a separate entry for another release on the same platform which is exactly the same as the original release, except censored, so now I'm really confused. I think this issue is important enough to have its own thread, so I'll probably start one later.

For now, here's a condensed timeline of the Windows releases of Saya no Uta (via VNDb) that should hopefully help us decide whether to keep Saya no Uta and The Song of Saya split or merged once a consensus has been reached.

• 2003-12-26: First release of Saya no Uta in Japan.
    • 2013-05-06: The English localization, with the title translated to The Song of Saya, is released by JAST USA.
    • 2017-04-28: Nitroplus releases a new version of Saya no Uta which has been ported to a new engine for better compatibility with Windows 10. The maximum resolution size has been increased from 800x600 to 1280x960, with higher resolution art to reflect this. No change in gameplay.
    • 2019-08-13: JAST USA releases an English localization of the Windows 10 version of the game, again titled The Song of Saya, on their own storefront and on Steam, but the Steam version is censored to comply with the store's standards, removing some (non-gameplay affecting) scenes. JAST USA releases a paid DLC on their own storefront that removes the censorship from the Steam version. (We have an entry for this DLC here.)

I added the credits of the original Japanese release and the 2013 JAST USA localization to the "Saya no Uta" entry, and the credits of the 2019 JAST USA localization to the "The Song of Saya" entry. The credits on both entries are formatted slightly differently, but they could be combined if need be.

Alaka (106570) on 12/25/2021 6:08 AM · Reply · Permalink · Report

If the only difference between games is simply the nudity I would merge them and just create a game group Visual Novel games that have an adult and clean version. That way we can catalog all this stuff and then we have a precedent we can show when this subject comes up again which it undoubtedly will.

Flapco (46055) on 12/31/2021 12:59 PM · Reply · Permalink · Report

I added Hero Wars for browser as a new platform to the mobile versions in the past. But now I think it was a mistake, because there are differences in both versions like game modes, heroes and upgrade differences. The description I wrote is based on the browser version. Might be best to split these.

Alaka (106570) on 12/31/2021 6:41 PM · edited · Reply · Permalink · Report

OK, I'll split it.

Cantillon (78415) on 1/12/2022 8:22 AM · edited · Reply · Permalink · Report

I think Spelling Challenges and more! should be merged with Spellbound.

Compare Gameplay footage 1 and Gameplay footage 2 and the screenshots we have on file.

It seems Spellbound is the European release.

Rwolf (23086) on 1/12/2022 11:12 AM · Reply · Permalink · Report

Possibly, though I wonder about the five languages advertised for the one title, but not for the other?

Cantillon (78415) on 1/12/2022 6:52 PM · Reply · Permalink · Report

I downloaded them both, and the only difference is indeed that in the European version you can play in five different languages while the US release only contains English spelling. I hardly think that warrants a separate entry?

Alaka (106570) on 1/12/2022 7:09 PM · Reply · Permalink · Report

I assume World Championship Spelling and Spellbound 2 are in the same situation and they currently inhabit the same game entry. We can always add a regional differences tag/trivia to explain the differences if need be.

I'll merge these in a bit if there's no objections.

Rwolf (23086) on 1/12/2022 9:51 PM · edited · Reply · Permalink · Report

Fine by me. (credits for those languages might differ too, so that info should be checked, if possible)

yuri wang on 1/13/2022 11:54 AM · edited · Reply · Permalink · Report

spam

j s on 1/23/2022 10:22 PM · Reply · Permalink · Report

I feel the PC and PlayStation versions of Need for Speed III: Hot Pursuit, Need for Speed High Stakes and Need for Speed: Porsche Unleashed should be separated.

The games are almost completely different in that they have differences in features, modes, content and even has some differences in the car lineups. The PlayStation version of Porsche Unleashed even contains a different soundtrack.

yuri wang on 1/24/2022 10:12 AM · edited · Reply · Permalink · Report

[spam redacted]

Cantillon (78415) on 2/23/2022 1:30 PM · Reply · Permalink · Report

Brightstone Mysteries: Paranormal Hotel seems to be a port of Hotel. Sources: 1, 2, 3

Alaka (106570) on 2/26/2022 4:14 AM · Reply · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Cantillon wrote--]Brightstone Mysteries: Paranormal Hotel seems to be a port of Hotel. Sources: 1, 2, 3 [/Q --end Cantillon wrote--]

I'm not sure it's a straight port though. For instance the original version has a character you control while the Bridgestone version seem to be from the first person. It could be argued they're a remake of the original game.

Cantillon (78415) on 3/3/2022 9:20 AM · Reply · Permalink · Report

Yep, you are right. Hotel vs Brightstone Mysteries.

Morpheus Kitami (110) on 9/11/2022 9:12 PM · Reply · Permalink · Report

The entry on Lego Rock Raiders has the PSX and Windows games as the same thing: https://www.mobygames.com/game/lego-rock-raiders This is all correct for the Windows version, but the PSX version is very different, an action game centered on controlling a single character. The PSX should be its own thing. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lego_Rock_Raiders_(video_game)

Alaka (106570) on 9/12/2022 5:41 AM · Reply · Permalink · Report

Ok, the PSX version of Lego Rock Raiders has been split from the Windows version.

Regarding the PSX version, wikipedia states:

"There are eighteen campaign missions, and six multiplayer missions, all completely different between the NTSC and PAL versions of the game."

Now are they saying that only the multiplayer missions are different or are they saying the entire campaign is different. The former just needing a note in the trivia section, while the latter possibly requiring an entire new game entry.

wikpedia further states: "The PAL version also including three bonus missions that are accessible after the campaign is completely finished, and twelve additional multiplayer missions reusing levels from the main campaign."

The PAL version seems like a more complete package. Will need further looking into.

Terok Nor (42350) on 9/17/2022 10:31 AM · Reply · Permalink · Report

The uploader of this video explains the issue in the video description and an additional comment.

Alaka (106570) on 9/18/2022 4:59 AM · Reply · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Terok Nor wrote--]The uploader of this video explains the issue in the video description and an additional comment. [/Q --end Terok Nor wrote--]

Thanks for the info. So a split between the NTSC and PAL version would be needed at some point.

Ursula Best on 9/17/2022 7:03 AM · edited · Reply · Permalink · Report

[spam redacted]

Alaka (106570) on 4/6/2023 9:13 AM · Reply · Permalink · Report

Crime Killer Windows release comment states:

Included in a dual-jewel case with Carmageddon 2.

Which is true, and a compilation entry needs to be made, but now I'm wondering if it was it ever released on its own for PC? Needs research.

Alaka (106570) on 6/1/2023 4:42 AM · Reply · Permalink · Report

https://www.mobygames.com/group/10461/edge-series/

Needs to be looked into. ex, issue: Two Tribes had since ported both Edge and Edge Extended as a single release onto the Wii U and Nintendo 3DS. The Wii U version was released on November 21, 2013, and December 26, 2013, for the Nintendo 3DS version.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edge_(video_game)

Infernos (44358) on 6/1/2023 8:27 AM · Reply · Permalink · Report

Hole in One
    The description is for the SNES game. The earlier game of the same name for MSX, PC-88 and Sharp X1 needs its own entry.

Laplace no Ma
    Again, I think the description is for the SNES game. The computer versions (and TurboGrafx CD) are viewed from a 1st-person perspective, while the SNES port is top-down (and first-person during battles).

Casablanca ni Ai o
    This one is my mistake as I added the 3DO and 2 Windows releases. Turns out the game called "Toki o Koeta Tegami" is a remake of "Casablanca ni Ai o" and isn't a text adventure with graphics like the original but uses menus instead.

Derby Stallion
    With a vague description like the current one I'm surprised no one has added the Switch game also titled just Derby Stallion.

Alaka (106570) on 6/2/2023 3:23 PM · Reply · Permalink · Report

Everything split up besides Derby Stallion. I'm not sure what would need to be split.

Infernos (44358) on 6/3/2023 1:37 PM · Reply · Permalink · Report

Excellent work!

Regarding Derby Stallion, there's a Japanese Wikipedia article on the series maybe some of that can be used. Via Google Translate:

PC98 (FM Towns and DOS/V versions are ports of PC98)
    "Mares began to be born, and it became possible to repeat generations with self-breeding mares. In addition, "Stakes Race" was installed."

PlayStation
    "This work boasts a record number of mares and stud horses, and you will be able to choose from a large number of patterns for the match clothes (the match clothes of the opponent horse will also be almost realistic). The holding of the auction market has changed, and what was held every week until then will only be held in the specified month. Until now, there was a stable setting that did not leave it to you at the start of the game, but from this work it is also possible to switch between automatic and manual during the middle. In addition, it is now possible to use home-bred stallions under certain conditions. The maximum number of runners will be 16. The running table has been changed to be viewed vertically, and the forecast is 4 people + the main paper. The straight line length changes according to the weight of the horse (small horses get out quickly, but they get tired quickly. Large horses vice versa), so he can only be trained under 426 kg in the strongest production. was becoming The initial capital is increased to 20 million yen."

Saturn
    "The composition is almost the same as the PlayStation version, but the number of frames per second on the race screen has changed, making it smoother. The maximum number of runners will be 18. Oi Racecourse appears in the Breeders' Cup. The concept of "stunning combination" and "thought combination" first appeared."

Alaka (106570) on 6/3/2023 3:16 PM · Reply · Permalink · Report

ok, its been split.

tcooke182 (5922) on 6/3/2023 1:47 PM · Reply · Permalink · Report

These two games appear to be duplicates: https://www.mobygames.com/game/55204/scorpion/ https://www.mobygames.com/game/177952/scorpion/

Alaka (106570) on 6/3/2023 3:41 PM · Reply · Permalink · Report

merged

Alaka (106570) on 6/5/2023 2:51 AM · Reply · Permalink · Report

Typoman needs looking into.

https://www.mobygames.com/forum/game/84195/thread/235236/revised/

initial title is no longer allowed as an alt title according to the standards so title needs correction too.

Foxhack (32099) on 7/16/2023 4:07 PM · Reply · Permalink · Report

... why was River City Girls Zero lumped in with Shin Nekketsu Kouha Kunio Tachi no Banka?

https://www.mobygames.com/game/24856/river-city-girls-zero/

The modern Xbox/PS/Switch/PC release is a modified version with a bunch of extra content, there's enough differences in there to actually be considered an all new game (the least of which is them literally pasting it into the RCG universe.)

Alaka (106570) on 5/23/2024 6:32 PM · Reply · Permalink · Report

Seems to Fall under enhanced port protocols.

kazerniel (132) on 1/2/2024 1:45 PM · Reply · Permalink · Report

merge these? same game by same company, just different platforms

https://www.mobygames.com/game/90276/narborion-saga/

https://www.mobygames.com/game/90281/narborion-saga/

Alaka (106570) on 5/23/2024 6:44 PM · Reply · Permalink · Report

The mobile versions came in several parts while its thought the PC version is all the games in one package. Although this assertion still needs to be fully confirmed.

Rwolf (23086) on 3/12/2024 7:02 PM · edited · Reply · Permalink · Report

I think these two games are either identical or a mix-up of two very similar games, the same PS2 covers are listed for both of them:

https://www.mobygames.com/game/12140/fame-academy-dance-edition/

https://www.mobygames.com/game/42753/fame-academy/

Alaka (106570) on 5/23/2024 7:05 PM · Reply · Permalink · Report

Most likely a mix up based on using the same license. The PC game has elements of The Sims while the PS2 game is strictly a DDR type game hence the "Dance Edition" moniker. It dumps the sim stuff. If there is no objections, with the possibility of me overlooking something I will proceed in fixing the games going in the direction I listed.

Rwolf (23086) on 5/22/2024 7:07 PM · edited · Reply · Permalink · Report

Maybe there should be a separate 1-2-3 bundle release for Star Control 3? Some of the box covers (both the German covers on file and my own similar English covers) have stickers showing SC1 & SC2 are included and 2x CD, while I'm less sure about those releases w/o that sticker? The title is not marked as a compilation now, and some covers only show a single CD, so it may have been a single SC3 release from the start, before the sticker appeared.

https://www.mobygames.com/game/125/star-control-3/

(But maybe it's just enough with a note saying some versions had all three games; already some compilations contain varying number of games, or different games for different platforms; e.g. https://www.mobygames.com/game/16310/space-legends/ )

Alaka (106570) on 5/23/2024 7:22 PM · Reply · Permalink · Report

Star Control 3 that comes with 1 + 2 also will need a new game entry.

Rwolf (23086) on 5/24/2024 1:50 PM · edited · Reply · Permalink · Report

I've started on the compilation submission; will check some things (Win95 or not) and add my own covers to it.

edit: all done, only the covers to move, which I cannot do. (I copied the German release info to my compilation too).

Rwolf (23086) on 5/28/2024 9:32 AM · edited · Reply · Permalink · Report

I have suspected that some of our compilations from Empire Interachttps://www.ebay.com/itm/255838215629tive, really are parts of one and the same release, that have been split apart in some thrift store. I recall seeing these in larger boxes, but those seem to have been lost or discarded.

One of those pairs are both called "classics collection 2" and share the (ISBN/EAN?) product number '5017783 014143' visible on the back covers. These individual keep case covers do not have any bar-codes, which could have been present on an outer cover.

Searching for the product number, I have found some pictures of the full 6-games (8-disc) big-box set here:

https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/pc/340824-classics-collection-2/boxes/847367

and also here at Ebay with front/back images - no bar code on the back, could be on the sides?:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/255838215629

This Ebay seller thinks it's a 2005 release for some reason:

https://www.ebay.com/p/1402912440#ProductDetails

This is documented here as 6 & 3 & 3 game entries:

https://www.mobygames.com/game/61760/classics-collection-2/

https://www.mobygames.com/game/61759/classics-collection-2/

https://www.mobygames.com/game/61758/classics-collection-2/

I suggest to merge these two 3-game entries with the one 6-game entry, unless someone thinks otherwise.

Alaka (106570) on 5/28/2024 8:45 PM · Reply · Permalink · Report

I think you are correct about the empire compilation situation.

Probable merges: needed

Classics Collection

Future War Collection

Need to fix this. Only half of the compilation is listed, Missing the other 3 games from the big box

Race Collection

As you said more issues may exist.

Terok Nor (42350) on 5/28/2024 10:01 PM · edited · Reply · Permalink · Report

Big Race Collection box is here.

Empire's collections product page via archive.org.