Forums > Game Talk > Game Jorunal XII:XV B part III Episode 2

The Fabulous King (1332) on 9/28/2014 5:52 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

It is time.

To return.

To what these threads were all about originally.

Ah, good picture.

So I'm playing Call of Juarez: Gunslinger. It's pretty cool. Me gusta.

CaidKean (174) on 9/28/2014 6:36 PM · Permalink · Report

Playing through Shadowrun Dragonfall: Director's Cut on the PC and Fantasy Life on the 3DS, thoroughly enjoying both.

Unicorn Lynx (181769) on 9/29/2014 1:40 AM · Permalink · Report

Just realized how wonderful King's Quest games were. All of them. Even when they are bad, they are quirky and charming. Can't believe I dismissed them during my adventure craze 15 or so years ago.

Killing Time: a killing FPS ahead of its time. Sorry for the awful pun.

Replayed Return to Zork after 12 or so years. It's much better than I thought it was.

The Fabulous King (1332) on 9/29/2014 9:18 AM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start אולג 小奥 wrote--]Just realized how wonderful King's Quest games were. All of them. Even when they are bad, they are quirky and charming. Can't believe I dismissed them during my adventure craze 15 or so years ago.

Replayed Return to Zork after 12 or so years. It's much better than I thought it was. [/Q --end אולג 小奥 wrote--]

Wonder if it's because you are giving up that inner standard of the ultimate game by which you measure all games. You've been on a all-accepting path for quite some time now. First it was storytelling shooters, then it was 90's shooters.... now King's Quest. Next you'll be telling us that "you know, these MMORPG's are actually quite good."

Just an observation. :)

Unicorn Lynx (181769) on 9/29/2014 11:05 AM · Permalink · Report

Nah, I don't think it's all-accepting path, it's more of a preference change. I used to dislike King's Quests because of their vanilla settings and schoolgirl writing. Now I just don't care, I get fascinated by how almost each one of them set new visual standards, I like their exploration-based gameplay, multiple puzzle solutions, lack of hand-holding, etc.

Cavalary (11448) on 10/3/2014 9:04 AM · Permalink · Report

After nothing for a month and a half, got back to KoDP to pick up from that chaos monster attack where I left off, and with gathering up all I could I got rid of it on the 2nd try. But then a terrible drought hit and I couldn't break it and it was a vicious cycle that got me from top reputation and decent wealth and good army that easily took any horsemen or troll raids and pummeled my one remaining enemy clan (try to be nice usually and solve disputes) till they kept coming with tributes to a ragged bunch of starving people unable to defend themselves or produce enough for anything and eventually, well, this at the start of the 19th year:

The clan approached the ring to voice their fears. Everyone told the ring that since we lacked enough wealth, it was time to disband the clan. Everyone quickly packed up, said their farewells, and left. Many farmers had kin nearby, and so obtained entry into the neighboring clans. The weaponthanes and crafters quickly found work among the many clans. Some of the hunters joined other clans, some melted into the wildlands. A few families decided to return to Heortland. A few of these even became loyal followers of the Pharaoh, to the sorrow of those who had known and liked them here. Farad spent a few seasons with the Lhankor Mhy worshippers of the Gorinds, and was later adopted into the clan. Hengall told the Red Foxes that he had better ways with animals than with people. They were happy to adopt him Yaransor learned to brew a passable ale for the Hillhavens. Barngradus offered his trading skills to the Oak Tree clan, and soon gathered riches for himself and his clan ring. As the last clan members left the tula, one of our more poetic carls gazed back at the empty steads, ruined fortifications, and weed-encroached fields. Before turning away for the last time, he uttered our final words: “We will not be remembered as a great clan. Or even an adequate clan. If the sagas mention us at all, they will recall our terrible mistakes. We acted when we should have listened, failed to act when we should have done great deeds, and made enemies where we should have made friends. Our people are dispersed, our ring disgraced, our tula abandoned. Thus ends our sorry tale, the tale of clan Rangdani.”

Now wondering if I'll feel like starting over these days or try to get back to The Witcher or finally install KB: AP Gold.

Then again, already finished 4 proper games this year, and have a total of 6 listed, and usually 5 means a pretty good year for me, so meh, may just write off these 2 days and get back to nothing for who knows how long again.

CalaisianMindthief (8172) on 10/4/2014 5:08 AM · Permalink · Report

Started playing Dungeon Siege in my eternal quest to finish all the games I've started when I was just a kid. Originally I haven't played it that much back in the 2000s (half an hour maybe), but still. It seems that will be a fun hack and slash experience. The dungeons, which I hate in RPGs in 90% of the cases, are well designed, and more interesting than in other titles. This is based on the first ones I've encountered.

It is also more lighthearted than I remember, similar in design to Fable I guess.

GTramp (81961) on 10/5/2014 1:24 PM · Permalink · Report

Hey, that's kinda shitty quest! :)

(I'm only saying this because I'm also on the same fucking quest...)

vedder (71122) on 10/4/2014 8:21 AM · Permalink · Report

I played through Perspective. Which isn't in the database I see. Its freeware and a cool gimmicky game where you control both a character in 3D space with a first person view and a 2D character that's projected in that same space but only moves through 2 dimensions. In the end the amount of puzzles you can create with it seemed a bit limited though, but I liked the whole idea behind it.

During my vacation I removed the dust from my DS and played some Puzzle Quest. I've been playing that game on-and-off for 5 years and I still haven't reached the end.

Patrick Bregger (303246) on 10/4/2014 8:49 AM · Permalink · Report

Yesterday I finished both the game and game entry for Crimes & Punishments: Sherlock Holmes. It is excellent, one of the few game series which constantly improve. They more or less ditched the last remains of Myst-puzzles and concentrate on the most important of Sherlock Holmes: deductions. While I like this generally better, I think the mini games have become too simple - they can be skipped anyway, so no reason to be dead easy. The only difficulty comes from poor explanations.

The game shines in graphics (especially the environments and faces have been greatly improved), dialogue and deductions. It also helps that I am a sucker for detective games without supernatural elements.

The Fabulous King (1332) on 10/4/2014 9:18 AM · Permalink · Report

I thought that game would be good. It definitely looked interesting and more professional that previous Frogware Holmes games.

Patrick Bregger (303246) on 10/4/2014 7:59 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

I'm on my third replay of Alpha Protocol, this time as aggressive, homicidal asshole Thorton. I love it so much.

I still get a bit angry at the bad reviews it got. The game is obviously unpolished, totally unbalanced and there are numerous flaws you could bash it for, but "it should be more reactive, like Mass Effect", "the pistol is underpowered" and "it is an RPG and I want a shooter" are laughable complaints.

Unicorn Lynx (181769) on 10/5/2014 1:58 AM · Permalink · Report

"It's an RPG and I want a shooter"? Interesting, my main complaint this game is the very opposite: "It's a (clunky and rather unexciting) shooter and I want an RPG (with actual exploration)"...

GTramp (81961) on 10/5/2014 1:32 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

Playing Walking Dead Season Two, now in the final, fifth episode. Well, it doesn't really click with me. Guess the novelty of the first game just wore off. I don't really like the group Clem is stuck with, the game mechanics (where's the limited exploration from the first game?). It's also quite weird that anyone gives a shit about Clementine's opinion - she's nothing more than a 10-11 year old kid. Now that I started final episode, I - as a father of two - am going quite crazy about how the fuck are they feeding the baby? How do they even manage to handle the baby without - you know clean cloths of something? Also when speaking of babies, what the fuck happened to Christa's baby in the beginning? Why didn't the show anything? It just said "16 months later", which means there was a whole damn year that we didn't see, or maybe I got it wrong? All in all, quite poor direction and script, and gameplay is virtually non-existent. But it's alright while it lasts, I guess. Sorry for profanity.

Adzuken (836) on 10/8/2014 7:17 PM · Permalink · Report

I've been slowly chipping away at Assassin's Creed: Black Flag. I've learned two things: I've really been hurting for a new high seas pirate game, and Ubisoft can make anything feel like a chore. I was done with Assassin's Creed after getting frustrated with Revelations, and the only reason I'm back with the series is because of my affection for pirates and the naval subject matter, but I'm deeply regretting it. There's no challenge to these games and everything feels so inorganic. It's like wandering around an amusement park, collecting autographs from the smiling mascots. At least the sea shanties are well done.

On the other hand, Alien: Isolation feels very organic. It feels a lot like Bioshock did, with its isolated, crumbling environment filled with hostile scavengers. Even the mission design and scavenging aspect feels a lot like Bioshock. Where it diverges is with its unpredictable AI and, specifically, the alien. Having to hunt down a key or power up a generator while trying to avoid an indestructible monster is incredibly stressful, and I honestly can't think of another game that pulls it off as well. It's a pretty surprising game to see come from a big publisher, based on a big license since it's so mainstream unfriendly. Love the retro-futuristic vibe.

CaidKean (174) on 10/8/2014 7:28 PM · Permalink · Report

Having the same feelings and opinions with regards to Alien: Isolation. Even more impressive when you consider that it's from Creative Assembly. Their first first-person game and I'd probably have to say their first non-strategy game I've played that isn't an utterly mediocre title.

Indra was here (20752) on 10/8/2014 7:34 PM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Adzuken wrote--] I've really been hurting for a new high seas pirate game... [/Q --end Adzuken wrote--]Lemme know when you find one. I gave up looking.

CaidKean (174) on 10/8/2014 11:50 PM · Permalink · Report

Well, I'm keeping an eye on Caribbean! from Snowbird Games. It's an open-world piracy game running on the Mount & Blade engine.

If multiplayer-focus isn't a problem then you might also want to keep an eye on Naval Action.

Indra was here (20752) on 10/9/2014 11:15 AM · Permalink · Report

It's online? I could live with single player online. Multiplayer online games however, make me feel ill.

Unicorn Lynx (181769) on 10/9/2014 11:58 AM · Permalink · Report

Yeah, lack of challenge is what hurts Ubisoft games most, by far. Why don't they include different difficulty levels for their Assassin's Creed games? They feel like legitimized cheating.

Black Flag is a bit better than the first two in this respect (haven't played the others). Still, you can win a battle against 40+ guards just by hitting them and running around in circles.

vedder (71122) on 10/10/2014 1:18 AM · Permalink · Report

Luckily WB gets it and just released Shadow of Mordor, which is more or less a challenging Assassin's Creed in Middle Earth, with an awesome mechanic of climbing the ranks of Sauron's legions.

Playing it right now and I can heartily recommend it.

In other news: About 1/3rd into Zelda: The Minish Cap. I like it. It's the sequel A Link to the Past always deserved.

Fract OSC: Only played a little bit so far. Confusing. Interesting Aesthetics, but so far pales in comparison to Antichamber.

Finally got the chance to play Titanfall with a bunch of friends. Good fun. Even the most devout Call of Duty hater in our midst confessed he liked it.

chirinea (47507) on 10/10/2014 3:29 AM · Permalink · Report

Finished The Walking Dead recently. I don't care if some people don't think it is a game, the story and the choices you have to make turn this game into the wonderful thing it is.

Right now I'm playing Wing Commander III. Man, what a frustrating game! I'm at the sixth mission (the one where you first fly the Excalibur) and I just keep dying and dying. I'm playing on the default difficulty and I'm probably missing something, because this game can't be this hard. After a dozen of trials I finally beat the level, only to crash on landing and having to play it all over again. GRRRR!

GTramp (81961) on 10/10/2014 6:01 AM · Permalink · Report

The first episode of Walking Dead is considerably stronger than the second one.

Fred VT (25949) on 10/10/2014 12:21 PM · Permalink · Report

Just got Skylanders: Trap Team and Hyrule Warriors.

Trap Team is not bad, but a Skylanders game on day one isn't such a good idea for someone who likes completing as much as possible in the first playthrough. With only two Trap Masters (the only one who can open the elemental gates), with several elements missing (including "Unknown" elements), I can't do much and the figures from the previous game aren't too useful. Hearing the capture villain from the Portal is quite funny though, and the game itself has kept its humor too. Good for casual gaming.

Hyrule Warriors is great for a fan of both Koei and Zelda games. The Legend mode is pretty much a puzzle-less Zelda game with more attack variety , a lot of enemies, and multiple characters. The collecting is interesting too, with enemies dropping loots and each characters having heart containers hidden in the levels. The other modes seem to add a lot of hours to the game. The Adventure mode (I thinks it's the name) is probably where I'll spend the most hours...

GTramp (81961) on 10/12/2014 9:57 AM · Permalink · Report

Playing Alien: Isolation. Looks promising so far. One thing for sure - the atmosphere of late 70-s sci-fi is incredible; and audio is unbelievably immersive.

The Fabulous King (1332) on 10/22/2014 8:07 AM · Permalink · Report

Anyone playing Vanishing of Ethan Carter? Is it any good?

I'm playing Assassin Creeds at the moment. You know, these characters are really self-righteous douchebags. What is it that makes Templars "evil" in this world anyway, if assassins kill a lot more people than templars ever do? But... it's so fun, have to admit that.

Waiting for Unity too, that looks like a really good game.

Pseudo_Intellectual (66423) on 10/22/2014 12:46 PM · Permalink · Report

Wow, what engine is it using?

The Fabulous King (1332) on 10/23/2014 7:13 AM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Pseudo_Intellectual wrote--]Wow, what engine is it using? [/Q --end Pseudo_Intellectual wrote--]

AnvilNext apparently.

Unicorn Lynx (181769) on 10/22/2014 1:06 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

You know, these characters are really self-righteous douchebags. What is it that makes Templars "evil" in this world anyway, if assassins kill a lot more people than templars ever do?

Totally agree. Ubisoft Montreal's games generally have a rather twisted sense of morality.

The stories of AC games are regular conspiracy theory garbage, thankfully with the gameplay covering up Dan Brown-style speculations. Their historical characters are complete caricatures - AC 2 is particularly offensive with its ridiculous portrayals of complex figures such as Savonarola or Pope Alexander VI.

The Fabulous King (1332) on 10/22/2014 9:28 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

That's probably indeed the best summarization of their stories. :)

However I do appreciate what they did with AC3 and Liberation. Native American and Creole assassins, they did something special there. It's not really that often when characters like that appear in mainstream media and as main characters and heroes - that's something unique.

And actually walk in these historical towns... it feels like you're learning something. I've lost hours in just exploring Constantinople and Rome. Oh that's how the St.Louis Cathedral looked like in 18th century, things have surely changed in Gabriel Knight that's for sure - so wonderful.

But the twisted self-righteous morality... it's not that different from Westbro Baptists to be honest. It's the 20 something liberal university student version of self-righteousness.

I feel so sorry for all those poor guards, I have to kill thousands of probably likeable honest working men in these games just because the "bad guys" are against free will.

But they might have had the same realization. I've heard that a new Assassin Creed game stars a templar as the main character, a former assassin who got disillusioned from his order. Maybe they are going to explore this dubious morality with that - who knows.

Lain Crowley (6629) on 12/30/2014 8:10 AM · Permalink · Report

I'd say the heroism of the Assassins is in-game pure bravado, and out-of-game just marketing. It's mostly removed from the games themselves. The Assassins claim that they fight for freedom, but that's not why the protagonists join up. That happens either because they were born into the life (Altair), had family the Templars cut down for for the supposed greater good (Ezio & Connor), or fell into it by happenstance (Edward). They roll with the Assassins because they need someone to watch their back.

Who was it last thread who said that Gone Home had the best writing of any game released the year it came out? Because that is true.

Donatello (466) on 10/23/2014 6:15 AM · Permalink · Report

I got a Last of Us PS3 bundle recently, so I've started catching up with modern games somewhat, starting with The Last of Us.

I think I'm near the end now, and I must admit, it is certainly worth all the praise it gets. Phenomenal game so far.

On the topic of Assassin's Creed, I just hope that they cover the October Revolution at some point. Even if the core gameplay is the same old doodle-doo, I would gladly pay 60 dollars on day one to see a big budget recreation of the setting.

The Fabulous King (1332) on 10/25/2014 6:23 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

Watching videos of the new Gabriel Knight remake. They've changed some of the dialogues. And the new voices.... they suck!!! There's only one GK1 Gabriel Knight and his name is Tim Curry. The way he said "What do you know about... voodoo?" as if making a sexual move on you.... it was absolutely fantastic and without it this game will never be a true recreation of the GK1 experience. The new guy just seems so colourless.

The Remake - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=np4jnFt4QKA

For comparison's sake, here is how the one and only true Gabriel Knight - Tim Curry - reads those lines - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=he80BWSVpg0

CalaisianMindthief (8172) on 10/25/2014 6:45 PM · Permalink · Report

I've finished Dungeon Siege. It was a really fun action RPG that goes above Diablo by allowing an entire party of characters, one of them can even be a mule that would carry all your junk until the next shop. I would've liked a more robust control for individual characters in group fights and more involvement in developing your character's skills. The selection of monsters is also amazing, I have rarely seen so many original designs, like goblin robots with flamethrowers.

Right now I've started The Raven: Legacy of the Master Thief, a detective adventure game that manages to capture the 60s as I imagine them, with a pretty interesting plot and locations. I have a feeling that is not completely linear, since I remember ignoring an objective because I didn't know how to approach it puzzle-wise, and focused on the main storyline; it turns out the game simply skipped it. Interesting. The plot and the looks are great, the gameplay mechanics/controls feel like a step back compared to more intuitive adventure games, unfortunately. There are also technical problems, like an axe protruding the protagonist's hand even though he dropped it on the floor, and characters getting stuck.

vedder (71122) on 11/5/2014 5:50 PM · Permalink · Report

Playing Fract OSC. It took a while getting into it, but now I'm in its flow I really like it! There is still quite a bit of wondering around completely lost, but once you get a few of the puzzles slowly the rest starts making sense as well. The puzzles are generally also really fun to solve as they are usually less complex or at least more forgiving than they initially appear. And the audio is awesome of course, which is to be expected in a game that's all about synthesizers.

The Fabulous King (1332) on 11/12/2014 11:18 AM · Permalink · Report

So Assassin's Creed Rogue is better than Assassin's Creed Unity? Did not see that coming.

The Fabulous King (1332) on 11/13/2014 8:26 AM · edited · Permalink · Report

Do you want to ride the bull? :P

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oiJYrtbTYMY

Bioware's writing has definitely gotten... uhm... peculiar lately. It's like fan slash fiction writers took over.

vedder (71122) on 11/15/2014 12:00 AM · Permalink · Report

Playing The Last of Us: Remastered Edition.

The production values are really fantastic. The acting, the graphics, audio is all great. But the game has serious issues just letting me play. Often it is too busy trying to be a film and it forgets I'm there. Also, quicktime events. After playing a bit I was afraid the whole game would be one huge linear corridor, but luckily it appears to give some more idea of choice now. But for what it tries to be (an interactive movie of sorts) it does it really well.

Donatello (466) on 11/15/2014 4:53 PM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start vedder wrote--]Playing The Last of Us: Remastered Edition.

The production values are really fantastic. The acting, the graphics, audio is all great. But the game has serious issues just letting me play. Often it is too busy trying to be a film and it forgets I'm there. Also, quicktime events. After playing a bit I was afraid the whole game would be one huge linear corridor, but luckily it appears to give some more idea of choice now. But for what it tries to be (an interactive movie of sorts) it does it really well. [/Q --end vedder wrote--]

I don't think the QTEs were that invasive.

Yeah, it's pretty linear in places but there's going to be "battlegrounds" later on where you have more freedom on how to face the enemy. I suggest making use of the environment a lot, if you want to make the most of these bigger areas.

vedder (71122) on 11/22/2014 3:37 PM · Permalink · Report

The level design definitely gets more interesting later on. Much more open and free for exploration and experimentation. I like it!

vedder (71122) on 12/2/2014 6:37 PM · Permalink · Report

Finished it + the DLC campaign. Fantastic game.

Now playing Thief 3. Played the demo way back, but somehow it slipped through the cracks even though Thief 2 is one of my favourite games ever. It's been on my to-play list for ages and in my Steam library for quite a while. So far it's a bit hit and miss. The controls are definitely a downgrade from previous Thief games. Everything feels cumbersome. I'm only about 20% in, but the verticality of earlier titles is also missing so far. It's strange that in an engine (and platforms I guess) that's far more limiting on the size of the levels than previous games, they decided to focus on a more "open word" experience. It doesn't really add much as so far the missions are a lot more fun than the city parts. So far I'd say it's not a bad game at all, but doesn't come near its predecessor.

CalaisianMindthief (8172) on 12/2/2014 5:08 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

Currently playing Witcher 2. Amazing game, there aren't many with such a unique personality, especially among RPGs. I think the skill system deserves special praise, since the changes I made worked just like I imagined they would. Also noteworthy are choice-based role-playing and managing to make failed quests feel complete. Minor grievances: the game has cartoony cutscenes, movie-like cutscenes and in-game cutscenes, all in one package; the inventory is small, but I guess they were aiming for realism (the amount of junk I carry would disagree though); Geralt is a well-known person, as such he travels in the company of well-known people - it feels a bit over the top overall.

A while back, I've played Memoria, the second Dark Eye adventure game from Daedalic, and they didn't disappoint. Couldn't think of a better adaptation of a pen and paper RPG world.

yenruoj_tsegnol_eht (!!ihsoy) (2597) on 12/3/2014 4:23 AM · Permalink · Report

After about, hmm, 27 years of (very discontinuous: after all, there often was another game to play and stand, that of life) gaming career on arcades and home consoles, last week I completed the build of my first computer ever, which worked since the very start in spite of my total lack of experience (passion can do more than knowledge). (All my contribution to Moby has been by a smartphone.)

I always resorted to books and cinematography for deep content, and to games to amuse myself. Also, when rarely I wanted something deep, consoles had it. Ico, killer7, Super Mario and Zelda games who were otherworldy good until Nintendo stopped making games (it's already 10 years..), an handful of superb RPGs for SNES PS1 and PS2...

But well, now I am old (certainly) and wise (perhaps), I really had to move to PC.

The first thing I did was to scrutinise GOG and Steam looking for all games I had fixed in my memory when occasionally reading about, in last 20 years. Now I have the 2 first Monkey Island, King's Quest and Space Quest and Police Quest collections, System Shock 2, The Fate of Atlantis, Myst Masterpiece Edition, The Longest Journey, X-COM (of course the real old one), To The Moon, 2 Gabriel Knight games, Ultima games from I to VII, the real Sam & Max, Quest for Glory from 1 to 5. And Civilization IV (not V... marketing managers held much more power already, when the V was made)

I started with Civilization IV, and... it's more than the most I ever imagined; and The Longest Journey, which seems to suggest designers knew Sciere and believed all players had similar wits, that is not the case at all unfortunately. Still, I'll do anything to never use a FAQ and, well, fak those brainteasers by my own.

The Fabulous King (1332) on 12/3/2014 5:06 AM · Permalink · Report

Wait, you're a real person?

Or a very advanced spambot?

Starbuck the Third (22601) on 12/4/2014 12:34 AM · Permalink · Report

Got another couple of games a week ago, Medal of Honor: Warfighter and Assassins Creed III, the final AC game in my 360 purchase backlog before I switch to a next gen console, whenever that'll be.

Anyway, Warfighter's a decent FPS. This is actually the third time I started it, the first when a friend spent the evening over mine and we started playing the first few missions, and the second when another friend lent me his copy. It's not quite good enough compared to Call of Duty, not really as good for me, but a fun game never the less.

As for Assassins Creed III, I'm not enjoying it as much as the last few AC games. Characters are not interesting for me. Connor isn't very engaging, and the 'im pissed and want revenge' thing was already done with Ezio, and done better, not to mention cliched. Everyone else just doesn't interest me. Gameplay wise, combat is worse. A lot worse, to the point were my default strategy is to, basically, run away. Countering doesn't seemingly work any more, and when you just plain attack, I can hack away and cause little damage, even when I'm landing blows with my blades.
On the plus side though, there as been a fair bit more present day gameplay with Desmond, something I've found lacking in previous games. Whether it will hold out throughout the game, I'll see.Also enjoying the Naval bits of the game. A very fun addition.

On the whole, though I'm not sure if I'm going to bother with any more AC after this, considering 2 through Revelations were pretty much carbon copies of 2, and now 3, I'm finding my enthusiasm for Assassins Creed pretty much at the point of no return.

The Fabulous King (1332) on 12/18/2014 11:01 AM · Permalink · Report

I played through Full Throttle. It was quite cool.

Currently playing through Longest Journey series, because of Dreamfall Chapters. I really liked Dreamfall and I do think that Ragnar Tornquist is a brilliant writer.

I just think he really didn't quite have a grasp on it when he did Longest Journey. For every moment of brilliance, there comes one or two of utter boredom.

CalaisianMindthief (8172) on 12/24/2014 8:09 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

Just finished the tutorial for Praetorians. Why is this game so hard, damit?!

Patrick Bregger (303246) on 12/30/2014 7:34 AM · edited · Permalink · Report

I just played through the whole Mass Effect trilogy. Great series, no doubt.

Mass Effect is proof that a game is more than the sum of its part. I enjoyed it, but every aspect is very flawed: the cloned environments are worse than in Dragon Age II, the Mako stuff is bad. The RPG aspect is unnecessary, I did not use the special abilities once. They may be needed for higher difficulties, but when such a big aspect of a game is useless in normal difficulty, the balance is completely off. The only thing holding the game together is the writing and even that is not that great, especially the romances are cringeworthy.

Mass Effect 2 is an improvement in every aspect. They basically removed all RPG elements and the game is better off. The story is very basic, but the focus is on the characters. And those are great.

Mass Effect 3 tacked on some RPG elements again, but the gameplay itself shifts even more towards action game. The combat is, at least in part, no longer static whack-the-mole and more interesting enemy types are introduced. Especially the banshees are both creepy and challenging. The writing, and especially the influence of choices, show Bioware's attention to detail - they even took the time to retcon a bug in Mass Effect 2. It is not only an illusion of choice like in newer Telltale games. I love how they handle dead persons from previous games - yes, they are replaced by similar characters which do basically the same stuff, but they did not only change the names. If I have to name one thing I did not like, I'd choose the completely linear progression of main quests.

Mass Effect 3 DLC review:
From Ashes: It is outrageous that this is sold as DLC. I have no problem with the basic concept of DLC, add-ons to enhance the game with new quests etc., but this is clearly deliberately cut out from the main game. Javik is a very important character for the game and its plot. Mass Effect 3 is a lesser game when playing without this DLC.

I enjoyed Leviathan. It switches between calm moments and fairly challenging action parts and gives some nice background information.

Omega is a rip-off. It is nothing more than a collection of many linear corridors to fight through, It is no longer than Leviathan but costs more. Not worth the money.

Citadel should be renamed to Fanservice: The DLC. It is a welcome diversion to the darker tone of the main game. Its story is silly and tongue-in-cheek. The second half consists of a meet-and-greet with all current and past crew members. Recommended!

vedder (71122) on 12/30/2014 1:30 PM · Permalink · Report

Tower Wars, while an interesting tower defence game, I feel that the economy is too complex. There are two currencies, but instead of one being for offensive actions and the other for defensive actions, most actions cost both, making it hard to keep track of what to spend. The mazing aspect is pretty cool and the game looks nice, even though the interface is pretty bad.

ORION: Prelude excels in being mediocre in pretty much any aspect. While it can be entertaining for a bit with a bunch of friends on a LAN, the repetitiveness quickly makes you lose interest. It's too bad the only thing the dinosaurs do is run straight at you. They don't feel like dinosaurs at all. If you enjoyed the game mode in Unreal Tournament 2004 where all the waves of enemies from Unreal spawned. You might enjoy this for a while though for the 75 cents or so that it costs in the sales.

Geometry Wars 3 looks fantastic and it's fun to play. I'm not very good at it yet though. Currently blocked in the campaign progress because I need to earn one more star on any previous level before I can unlock the next. Need to get a bit more skilled in this!

Shadow of Mordor remains really cool. It gets better and better the more you play it with all the new abilities you unlock. At the start the game tends to be a bit overwhelming, but I'm finally nearing the point where I feel master over the game. Now about 75% done and having fun with branding. At time frustratingly difficult though. Although I did manage to kill a warchief which was immune to both stealth, combat and ranged, but I had to resort to some googling of how to go about it.

vedder (71122) on 1/2/2015 1:20 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

Also playing Plague, Inc. on my phone. It's pretty cool for light entertainment during travel.

Gave Gems of War a try on Steam. Don't. Just keep playing Puzzle Quest and have the same experience without microtransaction bullshit.

Patrick Bregger (303246) on 1/7/2015 9:46 PM · Permalink · Report

I just finished Dragon Age: Origins. Again. My last playthrough was four years ago and the game is even better than I remembered. Without question the second-best RPG Bioware ever made. I can't think of any major complaints, just the Deep Roads section drags on a bit too long (but still much better than the orc caves in Neverwinter Nights 2...), the overhead view is too limited and the companion quests are too minor. I'm also not too hot on the gift mechanics, but this is negligible.

Patrick Bregger (303246) on 1/25/2015 9:08 AM · edited · Permalink · Report

So, Dragon Age II. While playing it, I thought a lot about this post. I never was quite sure if I should start with "This is a huge disappointment, but..." or "This is a good game, but...". I'm still not sure.

Companions
This is the one and only point which is clearly improved compared to Origin. The companions are generally more interesting and have a reasonable character development. I love how their personal quests take a much bigger role in the game and have also impact in the overall plot. I love the slight dialogue changes depending on the player's choices and their friendship/rivalvry. It feels natural.

Level design
As I said it numerous times before, I love the basic concept. Having one main hub, in this case Kirkwall, and watching its development over a big timespan. Personally I believe this is also one of the main draws of time travel stories - seeing familiar places with different preconditions. However, there are two ways to go about:

• 1. Engage the player while scouting familiar but different environments which are changed and shaped by the happenings and choices of before.
  • 2. Use it as lazy excuse to send the player through the same maps over and over again.

Unfortunately BioWare chose option 2. This is not helped by the fact that they only built one interior map per type (one warehouse, one mansion, one cave...) which means there is even more repetition. Also the maps are tiny and without scope. Having a small environment is fine by me, I'm not much into open world anyway, but at least make it visually interesting and varied.

Combat
Personally I vastly prefer the slower approach of Origins, but I can't deny it is fun to just throw fireballs around which make boom. I think the combat is good, but a bit repetitive overall. I absolutely hate the wave mechanic which spawns more and more cannon fodder over time. After playing the game directly after the predecessor, I have to say that Origins also had some pretty stupid enemy spawns at times, but nothing that bad.

Other
As I dislike inventory management in most RPGs, I don't mind the reduced equipment options. Character and skill development is fine. The UI and especially the menus are horrible. I love how the writers wove in decisions from Origins without making it feel shoe-horned. The dialogue wheel is stupid.

Conclusion
Dragon Age II is a good game, but is seriously hurt by short development time and console focus. In my opinion it can't hold a candle to Origins.

Patrick Bregger (303246) on 1/26/2015 9:54 PM · Permalink · Report

So, Dragon Age: Inquisition. I am only about ten hours in, but I am pleasantly surprised. The Hinterlands must be the most gorgeous open world level I have ever witnessed. I am probably easily wooed because I just came off the repetition of Dragon Age II, but it is a joy to explore the world. It is built with care and does not come from a random generator, you can tell. There is a lot of content and I don't even mind that the quests are generic, meaningless MMO garbage.

The interface is even worse than in its predecessor, though. The menus, especially the inventory, are a pain to navigate and take too many clicks for the simplest things. The overhead view is unusable - who had the bright idea that I have to press an additional key to move the camera with the mouse?

vedder (71122) on 1/27/2015 7:52 AM · Permalink · Report

I haven't played it but when I saw a friend play it he showed me the overhead view when he was in an area with ramps and he couldn't move the camera up a higher part of the area unless he walked the camera up the ramp to get there... And then he could jump down to the lower area with the camera at the part where he couldn't move the camera before...

This little demonstration dropped the game all the way to the bottom of my to play list.

Patrick Bregger (303246) on 2/1/2015 9:17 AM · edited · Permalink · Report

After 25 hours I quit. I had so much fun at first because the environments are the most beautiful I have ever seen, both technically and aesthetically. But I always had the feeling I'm playing an offline MMO: the game knows how to engage the player with a lot of stuff to do, but it never evolves beyond busywork.

And just like in The Old Republic and The Elder Scrolls Online the point came when I continued not because I had fun, but because the treadmill worked. But I can't imagine keeping this up for another 50 hours when I am bored already.

It really hurts to say, but I still have to say it: Dragon Age 2 is better. At least it gives me a reason to continue walking through the same rooms over and over again. Another game ruined by a useless open world. I hope The Witcher 3 fares better.

CalaisianMindthief (8172) on 1/10/2015 4:41 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

I'm halfway through Broken Sword 5 and it doesn't disappoint. I'm always up for more ritual killings and theological mysteries. So far, this reminds me the most of the atmosphere in Circle of Blood and Beneath a Steel Sky, although I wasn't particularly looking for it, since I was ok with the format of later BS games. A bit on the safe side though, with some pretty formulaic characters. Still really great. Even the old voice actor for George is back!

CalaisianMindthief (8172) on 1/11/2015 6:02 PM · Permalink · Report

Ok, I didn't expect such a bad cheesy ending...

Starbuck the Third (22601) on 1/14/2015 5:53 PM · Permalink · Report

After having got bored of Assassins Creed several weeks ago, I've decided to delete my save games and do a complete re-run of Skyrim. Haven't played it at all since my first playthrough over a couple of years or so ago.

vedder (71122) on 1/16/2015 10:20 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

So, Alien: Isolation...

Does it pick up later in the game? It's been a rather mixed and ultimately mediocre experience for me so far. The game reminds me a lot of System Shock 2, BioShock and Amnesia, which are all considered some of my favourite games of all time. But so far it's put to shame by all three of them - except maybe the hallways are prettier.

The first thing that made me cringe was the voice acting. Unless there's going to be a plot twist that ALL the characters in the games are androids, I'm going to be very disappointed! Perhaps The Last of Us spoiled me, but this is just really bad and why make the worst voice actor of the bunch your lead character?

But O.K. I continue, I also managed to endure Symphony of the Night. I can take this.

The beginning is your typical linear tutorial of the basics. The walk speed is tremendously slow compared to any other first person game I've played, but I guess it helps with the horror so I can dig. Stranger is the peeking mechanics which allow me to see about 3 pixels more than I did before. And why is the mouse sensitivity suddenly 10 times higher when I'm operating a console? And why is activating a flare the same button as closing an interface, having me accidentally waste pretty much half the flares I've come across.

Why are the protagonists feet glued to the floor? There's an area with 30cm high obstacles that you have to find your way around because just stepping over them obviously isn't an option...

The tutorial ends with me dying, because apparently the way to make the transit system work is to press use into the void, not with the button I was frantically looking as an alien charged at me - instadeath 1.

So after redoing that section - I must admit, having skippable cutscenes is quite impressive even in this day and age. You score points here Alien: Isolation! - I end up in a new open area. And hey this promises to be really cool! Exploring the ship feels very Metroid with all those doors waiting to be opened, hinting at the goodies behind. Another one of my favourite games so I can't complain. And I have my first fun encounter as I sneak past some dudes into another transit system after exploring all the areas that have opened up.

Then the saving system. Aside from having wonky controls. (Do you really need to show an ugly pop-up that takes me out of the game every time? Which also has the less used option selected by default...) It's also very unreliable with it sometimes flat-out refusing to save even though I haven't saved in 5 minutes or more. Way to stretch out your content I guess. Again, I guess I'm spoiled, because Shadow of Mordor has such a sublime saving system.

But just as I thought I had ended up with something of a love child between System Shock 2, Amnesia and Metroid, I end up in a scenario that feels more like Space Quest. I'm at a point in the game where I am apparently supposed to solve a puzzle, but every wrong solution resolves in instadeath. The puzzle being 4 guys with guns and a door they guard vs. an unarmed me. Actually Groundhog Day would be a more appropriate comparison after dying 5 times.

I was under the impression that there was an understanding between gamers and game designers that in stealth games there should be some reaction time between being seen and enemies actually turning hostile. While I've just returned from Shadow of Mordor, where that reaction time is incredibly lenient, games like Dishonoured and Deus Ex: HR had it nailed down pretty well. Here there are already 2 caps in Ripley's head before they can finish saying "is tha-". There's probably some "solution" to this encounter that I just didn't see, but really is that the type of game you want to be?

While with only 3 hours played so far I can't really say I didn't like it at all. I will play it again. I liked the open area where it let me explore even into areas I absolutely wasn't supposed to go just yet. I liked one enemy encounter where I did manage to actually use stealth. Everything feels just so unpolished and the rules for stealth are completely unclear, unbalanced and unfair. I really hope it will pick up later, if I ever get past this dreadful encounter...

vedder (71122) on 1/16/2015 11:09 PM · Permalink · Report

O.k. I got past that part. Had a second alien encounter. By which I mean another unpreventable instadeath. I enter area. Music swells. I crouch into dark corner. Alien pops up and kills me. I'm 3.5 hours into this game and I still have no idea of how to play it. If I replay that part, I'll just do the same thing again and hope I won't get instakilled this time. I really don't get it. Not how to play the game, nor why people seem to like it. It's completely random.

GTramp (81961) on 1/17/2015 2:24 PM · Permalink · Report

It does pick up later. You'll learn it.

vedder (71122) on 1/18/2015 11:27 AM · Permalink · Report

It does indeed pick up once you have the motion detector as an actual means to know where you can and cannot go!

vedder (71122) on 1/22/2015 11:24 AM · Permalink · Report

And by pick up I mean it becomes really awesome. I guess we finally got that spiritual successor to System Shock that BioShock pretended to be.

When crouching around the space station. the Words "Remember Citadel" keep going through my head.

And I'm not sure if it's me, but where the voice acting at the beginning seemed cringeworthy, later on it doesn't. I'm not sure if I have gotten used to it or if it's simply better later on. Weird...

I hope the flamethrower isn't going to ruin the experience. If I can just scare the Alien away everytime it gets near, there's no real suspense anymore.

vedder (71122) on 1/27/2015 9:23 PM · Permalink · Report

Finished it this evening. Aside from my gripes at the start of the game it's great. I don't quite understand where the gripes about the game's length or change of pace in the middle chapter of the story come from. Missions are just as - or more - varied than most story based action games and the different sections halfway only enhanced that variation. Not to mention being a welcome change of pace to catch your breath for a bit.

I wonder if we'll see more interesting action games from Creative Assembly in the future.

Adzuken (836) on 1/28/2015 2:16 AM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start vedder wrote--]Finished it this evening. Aside from my gripes at the start of the game it's great. I don't quite understand where the gripes about the game's length or change of pace in the middle chapter of the story come from. Missions are just as - or more - varied than most story based action games and the different sections halfway only enhanced that variation. Not to mention being a welcome change of pace to catch your breath for a bit.

I wonder if we'll see more interesting action games from Creative Assembly in the future. [/Q --end vedder wrote--] I'm glad to hear you enjoyed it; it was one of my favourite games last year. I also enjoyed the change of pace and variation in the middle portion of the game. I felt it gives a decent breather, letting you regain confidence before everything comes crashing down. Though, I can see where some people are coming from when they complain about its long run time.

Adzuken (836) on 1/22/2015 12:41 AM · Permalink · Report

I've mostly been going back through my cartridge collection and playing some of the games that I didn't give much time to when I first bought them. I've made some good progress and played through a bunch of titles, such as Metal Gear, Cocoron, and Kid Niki: Radical Ninja. Some of them I'll likely review, but for others, I don't think I have much to say.

I've been playing Kerbal Space Program pretty solidly for the past few months. Last night I finally managed to pull off a round trip to Duna, the game's version of Mars. It feels like I've cleared a really big hurdle in the game and can now get down to the exploration side of things. It's just too bad that currently, outside of locating some of the easter eggs hidden in the environment, there isn't much reason to continue making trips to different planets. This may come later in the game's development, but for now, just being able to get to other worlds and back will likely be a huge time investment for most people.

Adzuken (836) on 1/29/2015 9:32 PM · Permalink · Report

I wound up enjoying Metal Gear enough that it sparked an interest in the rest of the series. Years ago, I had given up on the series after being totally dumbfounded by how ridiculous the plot in Metal Gear Solid: The Twin Snakes is. I later played Metal Gear Solid 3: Subsistence and ended up enjoying it, so I swore off the series, refusing to let Hideo Kojima's long-winded storytelling ruin it further for me. Yet after playing through the non-canon Snake's Revenge and the absolutely stellar Metal Gear 2: Solid Snake, I'm still hungry for more, so I'm going to give the entire core series a play through. After all, hunger tends to be the best spice.

Having finished the pre-solid entries in the series, I'm now half-way through Metal Gear Solid on Playstation. I'll likely be writing my thoughts on each in review form as I go through each title.

Adzuken (836) on 3/21/2015 2:03 AM · edited · Permalink · Report

I finished my playthrough of the Metal Gear series about a month or so ago. Despite the optimism towards the series I gained from playing Metal Gear 2, it was a pretty draining experience. The whole storyline is just worse than I could have imagined. For anyone who's curious, my thoughts on the individual games are in these reviews:

Metal Gear (NES)
Snake's Revenge
Metal Gear 2: Solid Snake
Metal Gear Solid
Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty (HD)
Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater (HD)
Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots

I skipped out on Portable Ops and Peace Walker because the former is terrible and the latter feels pointless without playing the first portable title. I only played Ghost Babel for long enough to realize it isn't a return to the MSX-style gameplay. I haven't reviewed Ground Zeroes because... I don't want to, at least not yet. I'm not going near the Ac!d games.

Now that those games are off my plate, I was playing Cities: Skylines, but I haven't touched it in a few days because there doesn't seem to be much replay value after you hit a population of 75,000 or so. It was really enjoyable up to that point, though. I've been pushing through hard mode on Hotline Miami 2: Wrong Number, which is pretty frustrating. I'm actually pretty disappointed, since the gameplay is a lot sloppier than it was in the first game.

vedder (71122) on 3/21/2015 8:15 AM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Adzuken wrote--]Now that those games are off my plate, I was playing Cities: Skylines, but I haven't touched it in a few days because there doesn't seem to be much replay value after you hit a population of 75,000 or so. [/Q --end Adzuken wrote--]

I had the same experience. My interest just suddenly dropped to 0 when my city had about 120,000 inhabitants and the last three new boroughs I built all started to feel very samey. Up until that point I had a great blast, but for now it's on hold. I'm sure they'll be able to lure me back in with some DLCs or mods in the future.

The core game is definitely there, but it still misses out in end-game content.

Cavalary (11448) on 2/5/2015 2:02 AM · edited · Permalink · Report

Just finished The Witcher, as in the first one. Notes say "Started Jun 2013, abandoned same month, brief attempts to continue in Jul and Aug, abandoned almost immediately. Restarted and temporarily abandoned again Oct 2014, continued Nov 2014, finished evening of Feb 4 2015, not long before midnight."

Now those 2 additional scenarios to go through, and also to just install Witcher 2 and import the save from this one to make sure it works, then just make one there right at the start with this imported and keep it for when I'll have a computer that'd deal better with it.

Anyway, good game, despite quite a list of things to nitpick about and a few major issues (crashes, even system freezes, still some bugs, annoying guesswork in a few places... and why the hell can't I just leave the damn brat with one and go with the other myself and say good riddance? (admittedly, would have quite ruined the plot, but...)). Pretty well-made world, as much as possible, decisions having an impact later (too much of one at times, making for that feeling of fearing to do anything thinking I'd break several others, why I gave up all that time), some characters to care for, some interesting story elements (and nods to the books... if perhaps too much and in some wrong ways a few times... come on, pluck some pillow talk between Geralt and Yen right out of one of the books and shove it basically word for word into the game as between him and Triss? - though at the same time a few other things seem odd in themselves if you come at it from the perspective of the books), nice flowing combat (bar kill moves on humans and humanoids...), nice how they made the journal work... And quite amazing what they managed with that old engine.

Patrick Bregger (303246) on 2/6/2015 7:31 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

I recently finished Saints Row: Gat out of Hell and I'm not quite sure what to think of it. It is based on the most fun open world game I have ever played, so of course I enjoyed just walking around the (at least not Steelport again) city and doing random stuff. Unfortunately that is all there is to the game - few cutscenes, no proper story missions.

Sure, it is half-price, but I still wished for a bit more stuff do do. According to my savegame, I played a bit over eight hours and already did everything (except challenges, because fuck those). My Saints Row itch is not satisfied, so I started with Saints Row 2 again. At least this time I found an unofficial patch to undo the awful changes of the German version.

Patrick Bregger (303246) on 2/15/2015 9:53 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

I am positively surprised about Saints Row 2. In remembered it as somewhat mediocre GTA clone, but it actually is very great. The missions are OK, but it shines in the side activities - they were so much fun that I finished all of them. If I have one complaint, then that the higher levels of the activities can be annoying because they entirely rely on luck (Insurance Fraud) or because the AI is so stupid (Snatch, Drug Trafficking), Another complaint is that the planes are completely impossible to control with the keyboard (in contrast to helicopters which work better with a keyboard).

So even if this game is a technical nightmare, I'd go as far and say that I had more fun than in GTA IV. I also think it is notable that the main character is a full-blown psychopath. Of course the other gang leaders are also assholes, but no one matches the Boss in spite. The only other similar game I can think of which pulled that off is Vice City - in other ones the protagonist is either a undercover cop or a nice person driven to crime due to unfortunate circumstances.

My itch is still not satisfied, so Saints Row: The Third it is.

CalaisianMindthief (8172) on 2/7/2015 1:41 PM · Permalink · Report

Right now I'm playing through Two Worlds. It seems to me like the lightest RPG around, where death has no consequence except more time spent walking. Right now I'm exploring the north so the world looks like your standard early medieval fantasy fare. The game is very similar to Gothic 3, but the music is not as engaging and it's not as beautiful graphic-wise. I found it quite easy to gain levels and buy overpowered armor and weapons. I like to stick to one zone usually in RPGs until I have explored everything 100%, so it's a bit disappointing that the fauna isn't much of a challenge.

Still, I like the skill and alchemy systems. The world is interesting to explore, so I guess I will try to finish it.

Cavalary (11448) on 2/8/2015 1:43 AM · Permalink · Report

Oh, very easy to be overpowered in that one. (Not that you need to be. Poison cloud, pump it and your magic up all you can, then just spam it and run around till stuff dies.) Then you just go around and explore. Preferably riding.

CalaisianMindthief (8172) on 2/8/2015 10:02 AM · edited · Permalink · Report

I took a different approach. I chose to invest only in passive skills that offer permanent bonuses such as Parry, Stone Skin, Balance etc. Together with my preferred sword and shield style of fighting seems to be unstoppable against normal monsters. I did however find a giant Cyclops and an "Oger" in two different caves. They can kill me from one blow, so I have what to strive for.

From time to time I add a skill point to Fire magic, since magic is the most effective against ghosts that appear in the night.

Cavalary (11448) on 2/8/2015 11:46 AM · edited · Permalink · Report

Melee does make it a bit less of a breeze. Or so I think anyway, I don't really know because that poison cloud spamming was pretty much all I did when I played it, other things I was just using to try them out. Looked through the available skills, realized that necromancy seemed like the best bet, saved my points and looked for the trainer as early as I could (struggling a lot early on with no skills whatsoever), then found that, put it all in what I needed and that was that. There's stuff at the end that did upwards of 10k damage per hit against decent armor (robes, sure, but crafted to be decent protection even so), and you can fight packs of them, but of course I only learned that by letting myself get hit on purpose to see what happens.

(Then again "stuff at the end" isn't exactly the best way to put it. There's extremely little not instantly accessible, you just have to roam around and find it. So more like stuff that's in areas where you'd normally be supposed to go towards the end. But since kill exp drops and quest exp increases with leveling, if you want to get as high as possible, kill everything and complete nothing as long as you can.)

chirinea (47507) on 2/11/2015 1:41 AM · edited · Permalink · Report

So I've just finished System Shock 2 after 26 hours of gameplay (or so Steam says). Wow, I mean, wow. I've played Bioshock not so long ago and I remember not being that impressed with it. I understand it is some kind of spiritual successor of the System Shock games, and I can clearly see the inspiration. But this one seems so much better than Bioshock. The atmosphere is awesome, claustrophobic. The soundtrack matches some moments perfectly. The only problem I saw with it is maybe that it is a bit too long. Near the end it seemed that they just kept adding more and more stages when it could've ended already.

It is weird that I only came to know about this game from you guys some 10 years ago, as everyone here and their dog love this game. And your're absolutely right. =)

vedder (71122) on 2/11/2015 7:51 AM · Permalink · Report

I just got a "Remember Citadel" t-shirt I ordered a while back in the post yesterday. :)

The ending was indeed a bit weak. And horribly unbalanced at higher difficulties. I never got to kill Shodan because I arrived at the final encounter with absolutely zero resources. I still have to replay it someday to get that satisfaction!

If you loved System Shock 2, I can recommend Alien: Isolation. It's the spiritual successor Bioshock never really was.

chirinea (47507) on 2/11/2015 3:11 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

[Q --start vedder wrote--]I just got a "Remember Citadel" t-shirt I ordered a while back in the post yesterday. :)

The ending was indeed a bit weak. And horribly unbalanced at higher difficulties. I never got to kill Shodan because I arrived at the final encounter with absolutely zero resources. I still have to replay it someday to get that satisfaction!

If you loved System Shock 2, I can recommend Alien: Isolation. It's the spiritual successor Bioshock never really was. [/Q --end vedder wrote--]Yeah, I could beat her just because I had some 10 armor piercing rounds and half of my energy pistol's charge. It took a while to kill her with the energy pistol.

As for Alien: Isolation, yeah, it's on my "to buy" list, I'm just waiting for the price to drop.

Cavalary (11448) on 2/11/2015 1:47 PM · Permalink · Report

Must mean that I'm neither here nor a dog :))

chirinea (47507) on 2/11/2015 3:11 PM · Permalink · Report

LOL, would you care to elaborate why you didn't like it, Cavalary?

Cavalary (11448) on 2/11/2015 9:47 PM · Permalink · Report

On my games played list, I was saying "With "magic" being so costly and enemies constantly respawning but dropping all too little, or often nothing at all, it was nothing short of torture. Which was likely the idea, but it's not my idea of how a game should feel."

Yeah, it created just that atmosphere and mood of being alone in a hostile environment, everything out to get you and being drained by the stress of it all, which I gather was just the point, but I'm messed up and "drained" enough as it is, thank you very much. And constant respawns really irk me. Constant respawns that are a net drain, not offering clear benefits, even more so.

And needing to pick between character development and needed stuff, no thank you, means I never ever get any "stuff", making it even worse.

Plus, very partial to fantasy and magic and medieval-like or iron age-like worlds and technology, and melee weapons when it comes to that; don't have me shoot stuff and REALLY don't have me need to use limited ammo to shoot stuff. And if the technology goes past that level, then perhaps steampunk-y, but thread carefully. Futuristic/SF games need to check a lot of other boxes for me to like them, though it is possible (the KotORs or Deus Ex, which was even a shooter... but let me play as a ninja (stealth/melee) hacker with just master sniping when needed, no actual firefights otherwise).

In other words, very wrong type of game for me, the things that made it do its style and genre right are cons for me.

chirinea (47507) on 2/11/2015 11:41 PM · Permalink · Report

Thank you very much for your elaboration! I should play the game again, as I never used the psi powers I was allowed to (I was really glad I found an implant that let me use my psi points as hit points). I grew up avoiding using magic whenever a game offered me it (hey, it's OK to be weird around here, right?), I only recently played the mage character in the first Diablo for that reason, for instance.

But yeah, ammo limitation sucks, but as you said, that's part of the style, so usually you're either into it or you're not. I imagine you don't enjoy survival horrors like the first Resident Evil, for instance?

Cavalary (11448) on 2/12/2015 1:00 AM · Permalink · Report

Nope, never touched any of those, but with SS2 being so hyped I thought might as well give it a shot at some point...

vedder (71122) on 2/12/2015 7:41 AM · Permalink · Report

I can't recommend Alien: Isolation to you then :)

The game purposely tries to make every interaction clunky and convoluted. Even the save system makes you think: "Can I afford to save now, or will that just kill me?" at times.

click here to win an iPhone9SSSS (2261) on 2/24/2015 8:50 AM · Permalink · Report

A thematically scary game which keeps the player in constant anxiety also on the gameplay side is just consistent, I think.

GAMEBOY COLOR! (1990) on 3/9/2015 1:00 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

College and and work keeps me pretty busy now, so I've been playing games that are easy to pick up and play for 20 minutes or so and then put down. Mostly Genesis stuff. I'm playing Punisher right now. I'm not a huge beat 'em up fan, but this game is awesome. Everything about it screams "the 90s". The T rating on the label, the edgy intro, the fairly violent game play, and being on the Genesis just remind me of that whole era of gaming. Not to mention the game is really fun. Nothing like slamming a thug to the ground and then taking his bat and beating him over the head with it. I just wish you had at least one more continue, it get's to be a little much just on hard, let alone super hard.

GTramp (81961) on 3/11/2015 12:40 PM · Permalink · Report

Yes, a solid game, I've just finished it last year and had about the same feelings about it. It would have been excellent with just one more continue or at least the last level and final boss not being such dicks.

click here to win an iPhone9SSSS (2261) on 3/11/2015 9:57 AM · Permalink · Report

Sleeping Beauty is a freeware game surely worth knowing, just like much of Stephen Lavelle's work (www.increpare.com) is.

Hoped it'd get some visibility if screenshots entered yesterday ended on the home page, but the Judges judged those as not deserving to...

GTramp (81961) on 3/11/2015 12:36 PM · Permalink · Report

It's not the "judges", it's the adult tag.

Pseudo_Intellectual (66423) on 3/11/2015 10:57 PM · Permalink · Report

I'm glad at least one other person got a kick out of it. If you enjoyed that one, you may be interested by Hanon Ondricek's Briar at http://hanonondricek.wix.com/pyramidif#!games/cnec

vedder (71122) on 3/12/2015 11:56 AM · edited · Permalink · Report

Hooked on Cities: Skylines now. It's pretty much SimCity 4 with curved roads and even bigger maps, but in the end that's all I ever wanted.

vedder (71122) on 3/14/2015 12:04 PM · Permalink · Report

I present you the rise of Paupopolis!

This game is way too addictive.

Patrick Bregger (303246) on 3/14/2015 10:46 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

I have played a few games lately:

• Strong Bad’s Cool Game for Attractive People: I could not even get through the first episode because I did not enjoy the humor at all.
  • The Book of Unwritten Tales: Fantastic adventure game with (mostly) logical and intuitive puzzles and great humour. Also one of the few adventures I played which gets the difficulty curve right, even if it is pretty easy overall.
  • The Walking Dead, Episode 4 and 5: OK, but I'm pretty sick of zombies.
  • Jazzpunk: This is basically just a random gag reel. Very hit and miss.
  • Hate Plus: Wonderfully written story, but only barely qualifies as game.
  • Murdered: Soul Suspect: So much wasted potential. The story and the clue searching gameplay was enjoyable, but the action stuff is just bad.

CalaisianMindthief (8172) on 3/18/2015 8:46 PM · Permalink · Report

Playing Sid Meier's Railroads. A fun game, but I remember enjoying looking at trains going around on the tracks in the past. Now the pace is too fast. I should look for an option that slows the passing of time, hmmm...

There are also some recurring bugs (derailing trains?), and the game feels a bit too crowded sometimes.

Slug Camargo (583) on 3/21/2015 6:31 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

After a pretty extended hiatus, I sort of came back to gaming. First off, finishing both Dark Souls II playthroughs that I left about a year ago. That, interspersed with regular visits to the first one. Because really, I love a lot of the sequel's tweaks and additions, but when it comes to monster design, level layout, colour palette, general atmosphere, and -very especially- characters' animation; the original is way, way better. Basically, changing the engine for this new one was a huge, terrible mistake.

Still, if From Software were to pull an Activision and just kept releasing iterations of this series yearly, that would be fine and dandy with me for the next decade or so. And by the way, fuck Sony exclusives ಠ___ಠ

I also bought a bunch of new-ish games (Shadow of Mordor, The Evil Within, MGR: Revengeance, Outlast, Wasteland 2, Dead State and some others I don't even remember now), but I barely paid any of them any mind. It's all about the Souls for me.

I am however pretty hooked with The Banner Saga, because it's the only recent game I could get running back at work and it turned out pretty good to kill those slow office hours. It's drop dead gorgeous too, and very dynamic and fun to play. A bit too heavy on the exposition and quite linear, though, which I'm afraid might kill any replayability value, but still.

EDIT: Dead State is not in the database? Or is the search acting up? o_0

The Fabulous King (1332) on 3/22/2015 9:40 AM · Permalink · Report

"Dead State is not in the database? Or is the search acting up? o_0"

The true RPG crowd is lazy I guess. :)

click here to win an iPhone9SSSS (2261) on 3/26/2015 5:25 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

mind bending

(full version)

To be played in single-player mode

Patrick Bregger (303246) on 3/27/2015 3:29 PM · Permalink · Report

Probably to no one's surprise, I am playing Pillars of Eternity. Of course I can't say anything substantial after three hours, but it already has a big plus compared to Original Sin: the UI is not shit.

Patrick Bregger (303246) on 3/28/2015 5:34 PM · Permalink · Report

10 hours in and I am almost speechless. If it keeps this up, this is the first game in years which has the chance to enter my personal top 5 of all times.

vedder (71122) on 3/29/2015 2:25 PM · Permalink · Report

That sounds good. I've only played the introduction so far and that felt like an excellent start. I was away for the weekend so couldn't play more but I'm hearing positive things all around.

Patrick Bregger (303246) on 4/10/2015 6:08 AM · edited · Permalink · Report

After about 60 hours, I finished the game and it is simply fantastic. The writing, the storytelling, the quest design, the combat system, the graphics, the music - everything is almost flawless. In terms of mechanics it is definitely much better than Baldur's Gate II. There is only area where BGII still is (and probably always will be) king: the sheer number of constant high-quality content. Don't get me wrong, everything which PoE has is great, but BGII simply has more.

Can it surpass BGII in my personal Top Five? I can't answer this now, but only after I play it again and again in the next years. If I don't want to play it again a year from now, BGII still wins: I practically always have the hidden craving to start another playthrough of the Baldur's Gate saga, even while playing PoE.

Of course there are also a things I did not like:

• The pathfinding on the maps is good (finally!), but in combat it was lackluster.
  • I don't mind the lack of auto-combat options (I micro-manage everything myself anyway), but at least auto-attack (a standard attack towards another enemy when the current one does) should work consistently. It does not.
  • The stronghold "management" is tacked-on and ultimately useless.
  • I did not like the kickstarter backer stuff (backer NPCs and tombstones), but at least it is easy to ignore.
  • I miss CTRL+J
  • I would have cut voice-acting completely. In a game like this it does not add anything and because of the writing style it even was disruptive at times.
  • I heard there are (were) a few nastly bugs, but I never encountered one.

I think that's all. So in retrospect, do I regret spending 280 Dollars during the Kickstarter? No!

vedder (71122) on 4/10/2015 7:01 AM · Permalink · Report

I haven't had much time to play it yet. I've been incredibly busy with other stuff lately. But the few hours I managed to put in were certainly very promising!

It feels very much like a toss-up between Baldur's Gate II and Torment, with perhaps a bit more combat, but also a better RPG system (for a computer game).

Patrick Bregger (303246) on 4/15/2015 4:34 PM · Permalink · Report

Today I received my awesome $280 signed Collector's Box - and it is too big for my scanner! Frustrating.

vedder (71122) on 4/15/2015 4:49 PM · Permalink · Report

Microsoft ICE is a fantastic free tool that stitch together photos and scans equally well.

Patrick Bregger (303246) on 4/15/2015 4:55 PM · Permalink · Report

Thanks for the hint, I'll give it a shot. When that fails, I'll just scan it at work.

Rwolf (23137) on 4/15/2015 5:02 PM · Permalink · Report

Yes, ICE is good, thanks for that tool MS!

However on my scanner the framing for the scanner glass is slightly raised, so the large boxes I've scanned got out of focus at the bits sticking out.

I ended up weighing the paper box down on the glass and using overlapping scans, cropping the fuzzy ends off, then ICE did the rest.

Patrick Bregger (303246) on 4/15/2015 6:35 PM · Permalink · Report

Wow, ICE really blows my mind. If I did not know, I couldn't tell this picture was made out of four different scans.

The Cliffe (1552) on 3/27/2015 4:26 PM · Permalink · Report

Having a go with Assassins Creed IV - Now With Pirates! Real fun stuff, even if the combat feels a bit odd and the stealthy bits are as clunky as ever (or, more likely, I'm just bad at them). Harpooning whales and not getting arrested by the Coast Guard is pretty sweet!

I really want to cut the Abstergo real-world content out of AC series, even though they make for a unique narrative perspective, and I can applaud that objectively. The trouble is that whatever's going on in the "simulated" world is way more interesting than the bland characters and tropes in the real world. At least in past titles you sometimes got to do something interesting, like evade your persuers or clamber around in a giant warehouse, but this time around you're delegated random administrative tasks and literally walked through an office orientation session. Doubly painful because in performing these tasks, Ubisoft is cutting into time that I should be spending BEING A PIRATE.

GTramp (81961) on 3/28/2015 1:28 AM · Permalink · Report

Playing Devil May Cry 4 on devil hunter difficulty. Oh my god, it is so designed to frustrate! Sometimes I'm almost throwing my controller at the wall. And the camera angles - oh camera angles! Who ever thought it's a good idea to not let you see who you're hitting or where you're jumping? The story is ridiculous, but this is expected. Battle music is also getting on my nerves. But for what it is and as a fourth game in the series, it's a solid title.

The Fabulous King (1332) on 3/30/2015 1:23 PM · Permalink · Report

I just played Wolf Amongst Us. Did not expect to, but I fahking loved it. I am the Big Bad Wolf... grrr, grrrr!

I want more Bigby. Should I buy Fable comics?

Pseudo_Intellectual (66423) on 3/31/2015 12:41 AM · Permalink · Report

Read a pile of Fable comics and you end up reading a whole lot of the same thing, but happily that thing is pretty decent.

CalaisianMindthief (8172) on 4/18/2015 7:04 PM · Permalink · Report

Playing Thief II: The Metal Age. Clearly the best of the Thief series, but damn the last level is insanely huge.

Patrick Bregger (303246) on 4/24/2015 3:53 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

I played through Wolfenstein: The New Order which is surprisingly good. I like the level design, both regarding layout (relatively linear, but still open enough to allow different approaches) and graphics. The atmosphere is great and hey, you get to visit a Nazi moon base - does not get better than that. The story and cutscenes are hilariously over the top, but the game still manages to give a feel for the cruelty of war without cheap sensationalism. The only bummer is that I was forced to play the German version, but fortunately the voice acting is mostly competent and it really does not matter if call Nazis by a slightly different name. I also don't think the people who created the standard keyboard layout ever tried to play the game that way.

I also played Valiant Hearts. The storytelling is fantastic (the game does a great job of conveying emotions without many words), but the story itself is stupid (why exactly did we need a mustache-twirling villain?) even if it picks up in the last chapter and has a good ending. The gameplay is garbage, especially the action sequences.

FatherJack (61785) on 4/24/2015 5:48 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

Discovered a website full of Doom II wads so playing through them. I also found a Doom II game inspired by Doctor Who and full of Daleks.

Rola (8482) on 5/5/2015 3:07 AM · Permalink · Report

When I'm focused and in the mood I'm still working on completing the first 2 Doom games.

Patrick Bregger (303246) on 4/26/2015 4:47 PM · Permalink · Report

Currently I am trying to avoid getting hyped for The Witcher 3 (I fail) and bought Grand Theft Auto V to bridge the gap. There is no question that I'll like it, but the big question is: Can it beat Saints Row IV?

Unicorn Lynx (181769) on 4/27/2015 3:42 AM · Permalink · Report

Playing this. That's how you create atmospheric immersion with the same friggin' minimalist graphics for the entire game. Tired of all those modern games with their hand-holding, really...

The Fabulous King (1332) on 4/27/2015 6:50 PM · Permalink · Report

Plus, there are tits in it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qH0T4B6hN40

vedder (71122) on 4/27/2015 7:10 PM · Permalink · Report

She looks like she may be having an epileptic seizure!

Patrick Bregger (303246) on 5/8/2015 2:26 PM · Permalink · Report

I finished GTA V. It is pretty good, had a lot of fun. Great open world, great mini games (I even played Tennis twice!), nice missions (even if they felt a bit too linear and scripted a times). The approach with three protagonists and the heist stuff is great, though. Overall obviously better than Saints Row IV, but I still had much more fun SRIV.

Related note: 230 credits screenshots (98 music).

Can't wait for Witcher 3.

vedder (71122) on 4/27/2015 7:41 PM · Permalink · Report

Haven't played much lately. A bit of Hearthstone here and there which continues to entertain for short bursts of fun. Unfortunately it doesn't quite run so well on my Android phone so I'll have to stick with the PC version.

I've also been playing bits of Pillars of Eternity here and there but haven't progressed very far yet. It's a great game and everything it promised to be. Which makes me happy and optimistic about Torment. I'm enjoying it, but I'm not enjoying it as much as Baldur's Gate 1/2 I think. Perhaps because everything is a bit too familiar or maybe my memories of those games make them look better even than they were.

I've also been playing a lot of the game called 'online dating'. It had a rather rocky start. At many times it seemed to pick up, but then throw some curve ball at me that made me lose all interest in the game. The current level seemingly goes on forever, but that's fine, because it has great narrative and visuals too. Now preparing for a sub-level-boss called: meeting-her-parents. Better stock up on charisma boosting potions and spells with charm effects!

Adzuken (836) on 4/27/2015 10:19 PM · Permalink · Report

While a buddy was visiting, the conversation somehow meandered its way onto the topic of Superman for the N64. He brought to my attention that it actually features a multiplayer mode that I wasn't aware of when I wrote my review of the game. I'm sure he immediately regretted bringing it to my attention, because I then plucked it off my shelf and forced him to play a few rounds with me. It's awful. There's two modes, race and battle, and we couldn't really figure race out. In both modes you pick a villain who rides around in a hover chair and blast each other. However, in race, one of the chairs poops rings and, I don't know, maybe the other person is supposed to follow them for some reason. We ended up just shooting eachother for a few rounds of this floaty, fog filled deathmatch before we stopped and I decided to demonstrate to him how proficient I was at flying through rings in the single player.

Aside from that diversion, I played through Bloodborne, which then made me turn to the rest of the Souls series. I finally finished Demon's Souls after all these years. I've been playing through Dark Souls 2: Scholar of the First Sin, which is competent but dry compared to the rest of them. I'm also replaying Bloodborne and turning my focus to the procedurally generated dungeons, since they include gear and bosses not found in the main game.

CalaisianMindthief (8172) on 4/29/2015 4:48 PM · Permalink · Report

Well I'm playing Chaos on Deponia and honestly I'm a bit disappointed. It has its brilliant moments, for example the platypus puzzle or some of its funnier scenes, but the game is generally a mixed bag. The writing has many blunders, most of the jokes are not funny, especially when characters break the 4th wall, while a lot of the puzzles are incomprehensible. In one of them you need to lower the volume in the game settings, for example...

Rola (8482) on 5/5/2015 3:11 AM · Permalink · Report

I didn't know where to put this Fair Play Crew sketch about 8-bit fighting games

GTramp (81961) on 5/5/2015 9:05 AM · Permalink · Report

Fun!

chirinea (47507) on 5/5/2015 6:16 PM · Permalink · Report

I get a message saying I can't watch it in my country. =(

vedder (71122) on 5/6/2015 9:07 AM · Permalink · Report

=)

The Fabulous King (1332) on 5/9/2015 3:23 PM · Permalink · Report

Guys, is Of Orcs and Men a good game? I saw it at sale for 5 euros in a local store, it had a witty title, caught my eye.

Foxhack (32099) on 5/10/2015 12:45 AM · edited · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Happy Rabbi wrote--]Guys, is Of Orcs and Men a good game? I saw it at sale for 5 euros in a local store, it had a witty title, caught my eye. [/Q --end Happy Rabbi wrote--]Why bother with buying that game alone when you can get nine more for an extra Euro or two?

http://www.bundlestars.com/all-bundles/killer-bundle-3/

I've heard it's good, but I haven't bought the bundle yet. :p

Adzuken (836) on 5/10/2015 2:24 AM · Permalink · Report

I finally fulfilled a teenage fantasy of mine and got my hands on the original Steel Battalion. I'm not sure how the developers expect you to play with such a boner-inducing controller in your lap. I'm actually struggling quite a bit with it and have yet to complete even the fourth mission. A big part of the difficulty is that if you fail to eject before your mech explodes, your pilot dies and it wipes your save data. You're given plenty of warning, so it's not hard to eject, but then you have to buy a new mech. If you run out of money, the game calls you a loser and kicks you out of the military. Starting over and replaying then first handful of missions gets old, so I haven't been playing it as extensively as I would be if I was making progress, but it's still hard to not have fun with such an unique controller.

I managed to play a bit of the Splatoon beta/demo/stress test that was on this weekend. The game is basically what I was expecting it to be, and I had a lot of fun. I imagine I'll enjoy it even more when there's a progression system and I can dress up my squid person.

Rwolf (23137) on 5/10/2015 10:02 AM · Permalink · Report

I have to ask - what does 'Washing' do? Wipe the blood-splatter off the canopy?

Adzuken (836) on 5/10/2015 1:20 PM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Rwolf wrote--]I have to ask - what does 'Washing' do? Wipe the blood-splatter off the canopy? [/Q --end Rwolf wrote--] Close! It cleans mud off the camera. It's important, since if you turn too hard while moving too fast, your mech will lose its balance and fall over, splattering dirt all over the screen.

CalaisianMindthief (8172) on 5/16/2015 6:12 PM · Permalink · Report

Just finished Dragon Age II. Not as bad as I imagined it would be. The biggest problems it has are the repetitive locations and terrible choices at the end of the game. I didn't expect the ending though.

Patrick Bregger (303246) on 5/19/2015 8:43 PM · Permalink · Report

I played three or four hours of The Witcher III today. So far everything is splendid, except that I already have one of those collection quests without ending in my journal. I hate those.

Cavalary (11448) on 5/20/2015 12:07 AM · Permalink · Report

Hm? As in a bug or something designed not to end?

Patrick Bregger (303246) on 5/20/2015 3:23 AM · Permalink · Report

Collect all cards for the mini game I'll never play.

Patrick Bregger (303246) on 5/22/2015 10:00 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

After a few more hours in the first big area I am positively surprised. They really managed to fill their world with meaningful and interesting content. Yes, I'm looking at you, Dragon Age: Inquisition. Combat works great with mouse and keyboard which is interesting because I could not stand playing The Witcher II without gamepad.

Besides the fact that I got even more quests about that card mini game I don't care about, I can't stand that stupid quest tracker. Why do games insist on covering third of the screen with this shit? Yes, you can disable it (and I did), but because how the quest journal is structured, this makes it a hassle to look up the frequent quest updates. Also during the Ciri sequences (well, at least the one I played this far) you don't have access to the journal and are forced to enable it. I'd also prefer if all locations of the currently active quests would be shown on the map because I am obsessed with planning my routes.

Edit: Weapon deterioration sucks, I never played a game in which it did not suck and I don't get why games insist on including that garbage. I guess it kinda makes sense in System Shock 2 where you have to use limited resources (which you can use on the spot) to repair it, but in this game the economy will break after ten hours (I assume on the basis that it is a RPG) so it just creates busywork. Also LOL to whoever decided to bind dodge to Alt.

Patrick Bregger (303246) on 6/20/2015 6:46 AM · Permalink · Report

One of the patches reset the statistics screen, so I have to estimate about 70 hours played. I might enter Skellige soon. The game is still fantastic and I even love to play Gwent (which is surprising because I hate card games).

During my vacation I also played some Android games:

• Angry Birds is really, really good. I was reluctant to even try it (free-to-play), but at least in the first 100 levels it does not seem to affect the game balance.
  • Sorcery! is a nice upgrade of the choose-your-own-adventure concept, but just like the books it did not really grab me.
  • The Room and The Room Two are fantastic and I can't wait for the third.

Pseudo_Intellectual (66423) on 6/20/2015 8:54 PM · Permalink · Report

Every subsequent Sorcery! game grows to become considerably more than the books they're based on. The first is a pretty faithful adaptation with a more interesting combat system; the second adds a "just how good an ending do you want your character to progress to the next game with" metagame, and the third adds full-blown time travel in all map locations.

Slug Camargo (583) on 5/20/2015 3:17 AM · Permalink · Report

Still on Dark Souls 2. I'm taking it slowly so I'll hopefully figure a way to somehow buy Scholar of the First Sin by the time I finish it.

I like the game, there's a lot of good stuff about it, but man, it's fucking ugly. I'm not usually one to complain about graphics, mind, and the first one wasn't exactly a looker; but the design was all kinds of inspired. Even with the not-quite-high poly count and the bad textures, the locations in DkS1 not only looked quite good, more often than not they were downright breathtaking, all by pure artistic merit. Every now and then I play it again and I'm still amazed at the amount of details in the world, or at how much of it you can actually see from pretty much every high spot --and you're always seeing the actual world you've just been/you'll soon be at, there's nary a single pixel of random filling.

DS2 keeps crushing my suspension of disbelief with bland architecture, nonsensical geography and plain ugly visuals. The elevator that goes up for miles and ends up at a lava castle was appalling, I was aching to be done with that area just to forget about the whole mess. There are some pillars at The Gutter that are comprised of what can only be a bunch of garbage textures they threw in expecting that no one would notice (link), there's no other explanation. Drangleic Castle should've been a beautiful, majestic location and instead it's a bunch of uninspired square rooms with so much texture tiling it makes your eyes bleed.

Now I'm at Shrine of Amana, and at least the early bits look rather pretty and atmospheric (if a little too familiar, like a mixture of Lower Blighttown and the Ash Lake). We'll see what's up next.

Also, either I got really good at Souls games, or the bosses are way easier in this one.

GTramp (81961) on 5/20/2015 11:10 AM · edited · Permalink · Report

I've been playing Scholar of the First Sin for about a month... almost at the end of the main game now. Well, you know, it fixes graphics a bit, at least they're not painful to look at, but of course it can't fix the design of locations which, as you mention, doesn't make much sense. And yeah, the bosses are for the most part quite easy - especially if you're alive and summoning help.

Cavalary (11448) on 6/20/2015 2:03 PM · Permalink · Report

Still with the oldies for me, as usual, and back to the first Age of Wonders now, since I picked it up when it was free on GOG. Initially started it in or around 2003 but gave up quite quickly from what I remember, but after playing AoW2 in 2013-2014 and liking it said might as well.
Currently accidentally finished the 4th scenario of the campaign last night (brought an eagle rider from the previous scenario and it was stuck exploring the surface while the heroes were expanding underground... and it reached the city you're supposed to get to win), then reloaded and trying to do it the long way now, taking it mostly as training run in defense as AI is fighting back and my AoW2 city defense tactics definitely don't work in this one.

CalaisianMindthief (8172) on 6/27/2015 11:30 AM · Permalink · Report

So I am playing Ultima VIII: Pagan, and this is my first Ultima, if my memory serves me well. I find it a bit disappointing in all aspects; incredibly simplistic, it has the very core mechanics of a typical action RPG, with almost no way to develop your character. The world feels like a compromise (I always hated the quests in pen&paper where players are forced into some alternate/pocket dimension world), and the characters--stereotypical.

I am still curious to see how the level design progresses, so I will likely play this game until the end. Thanks to the simple combat system, it's an easy game to get into. The biggest detriment would be the lack of a journal and an in-game map, shops accepting junk would be great as well. :)

The Fabulous King (1332) on 7/1/2015 10:36 AM · Permalink · Report

Free from Origin? :)

Yeah, one of the complaints that Ultima 8 and 9 both have from the fans, is that they do not meet the series standards. I personally liked some aspects of Ultima 8 - the atmospheric world, moody music, some books. Even Ultima 9 is probably a better game than 8. But neither of these games give a proper understanding of the true Ultima experience.

CalaisianMindthief (8172) on 7/1/2015 4:32 PM · Permalink · Report

Yes, it's from Origin. Interestingly enough, the story does become a little bit deeper the more I play.

Unicorn Lynx (181769) on 7/2/2015 12:15 AM · Permalink · Report

Yup, I think the tragedy of U8 and U9 is that they are such lousy Ultimas that it's hard to see that they are fantastic games. Seriously, U8 was a revolutionary action RPG, while U9 was the first 3D genre amalgamation ahead of its time.

CaidKean (174) on 7/2/2015 10:11 AM · Permalink · Report

Just recently finished Mega Man Legends and The Misadventures of Tron Bonne. Both really enjoyable games in my opinion. Going to be playing Mega Man Legends 2 soon, I hope I enjoy it like I did the others.

Real shame Capcom didn't give Keiji Inafune the chance to actually finish Mega Man Legends 3. Here's hoping he might try to do a kickstarter for a spiritual successor after Mighty No. 9 comes out.

Oh, and on the note of Kickstarter I couldn't help but back Yu Suzuki's Shenmue 3 kickstarter. Even if 3 turns out to be a disaster I'll still be happy I helped give Suzuki a chance to make it happen.

Adzuken (836) on 7/4/2015 8:57 PM · Permalink · Report

I'm currently playing Hyperdimension Neptunia Re;birth1, which I bought during the Steam summer sale to help satisfy a craving for something blatantly Japanese along with somewhere around a half-dozen visual novels. I can't say I like the game. The voice acting struck me as awful, so I switched it to Japanese, thinking it was just due to a low localization budget, but it seems to be just as bad. The worst part is the annoyingly high-pitched, bubbly character voices, which is the audio equivalent to having glass jammed under my finger nails. The game luckily gives a great deal of control over choosing your party members, so I've been exclusively selecting the ones that have the most tolerable voices. I'm not sure I even live on the same world as this game's intended audience, yet I'm still playing, so either it's doing something right that I haven't figured out yet, or it provides some form of digital nutrition that I've been long deprived of.

To counter this, I'm continuing my playthrough of Persona 3: FES, an RPG that I actually do enjoy. I like the in-game calendar and the visual novel elements that are tied to the dungeon crawling gameplay. Even though there's little to actually do in the game world aside from talking to people, buying stuff, and leveling up your non-combat stats, it's a great framework to the actual game. I played Persona 4 first, and while I like the darker style and more offbeat characters presented here, I'm frustrated with the fact that I can't directly control them in battle. There've been far to many "What the hell were you thinking" moments that have caused me to straight out lose boss battles. The main dungeon, Tartarus, also feels like it might as well be called "The Tower of Grind" since its relation to the main plot has thus far been discounted. I'm sure there's going to be some twist later on that ties it in better, but going to it night after night just to level up my party has really caused the game to drag.

Donatello (466) on 7/12/2015 12:43 AM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Adzuken wrote--]

To counter this, I'm continuing my playthrough of Persona 3: FES, an RPG that I actually do enjoy. I like the in-game calendar and the visual novel elements that are tied to the dungeon crawling gameplay. Even though there's little to actually do in the game world aside from talking to people, buying stuff, and leveling up your non-combat stats, it's a great framework to the actual game. I played Persona 4 first, and while I like the darker style and more offbeat characters presented here, I'm frustrated with the fact that I can't directly control them in battle. There've been far to many "What the hell were you thinking" moments that have caused me to straight out lose boss battles. The main dungeon, Tartarus, also feels like it might as well be called "The Tower of Grind" since its relation to the main plot has thus far been discounted. I'm sure there's going to be some twist later on that ties it in better, but going to it night after night just to level up my party has really caused the game to drag. [/Q --end Adzuken wrote--]

I think the game is not meant to be played in long bursts. I rarely play games for more than 2 hours at a time, so I didn't mind playing it a hour or a half throughout few months. Also I never had problem with choosing proper tactics for the teammates, so that they wouldn't do anything particularly wild.

Patrick Bregger (303246) on 7/5/2015 1:45 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

After finishing The Witcher III (so good!) I started playing Final Fantasy XIII. To be honest, after two hours I am bored. I understand the desire to make a tutorial and not to introduce all gameplay mechanics at once, but does it need to have the pacing of a snail? I am already sick of walking through linear corridors which make the average Call of Duty level look like an open world experience.

And when a game has waaaaaaay too many cutscenes, it is weak when some characters' motivations still have to explained in the section recaps (and then over and over and over and over again). I hope I won't regret that wish when the characters actually start talking to each other.

I really hope this is only the fault of a too long tutorial and and the game soon introduces interesting stuff like character development or combat mechanics which require (or at least offer) more than bashing the auto-attack button until the enemy dies. Of course it is unfair to pass judgement after two hours (I have played the first few character switches in chapter two) but it really needs to pick the pace up.

Unicorn Lynx (181769) on 7/8/2015 4:45 AM · Permalink · Report

After finishing The Witcher III (so good!) I started playing Final Fantasy XIII

Why would you willingly submit yourself to a corridor walk interspersed by barely interactive gimmicky battles and relentless cutscenes with the kind of a content that would be rejected by a Venezuelan sitcom after having completed one of the finest RPGs of our generation? Patrick, don't hate yourself, we love you :-)

Patrick Bregger (303246) on 7/10/2015 12:53 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

I did commit gamer's sin Nr. 1: playing a game blind because I liked one of the predecessors (Final Fantasy VI). But I have to admit: After two hours I was disappointed, after 12 hours I can't stop playing. Not the because the game suddenly became better, but out of some morbid curiosity.

Usually I am not afraid to stop playing bad games (e.g. Dragon Age: Inquisition), but Final Fantasy XIII is unlike any game I ever played before. It is so shallow that playing does not hurt and you can concentrate on discovering all the bad writing/design choices. You could not create such a good videogame parody if you tried.

Unicorn Lynx (181769) on 7/11/2015 6:12 AM · Permalink · Report

Oh man, there was a loooong way between FF6 and FF13. Seriously, FF6 is an absolute highlight and if you've played it (and the over-dramaticized, but still very cool FF7) you should just stop before you begin to gradually hate the series. None of the subsequent FFs came close to the quality; FF12 tried to revamp everything, only to prove how hopelessly behind Japanese RPGs were. As for FF13, it's the worst of the worst. Please don't do this to yourself, instead go replay the first Gothic or something (just off the top of my head, but actually it's a good suggestion :)).

Patrick Bregger (303246) on 7/11/2015 8:16 AM · Permalink · Report

Ah, I don't know, it is a gem that keeps on giving. For example, other games give you optional enemies which are hard but give a good feeling and a great reward after defeating them. In this game I just went through an area with the whole point "avoid annoying enemies, because they take way too long to defeat (while being still piss-easy) and give no better reward than enemies which die quick. Not Worth It.". And, at least at this stage, you can easily max out every character anyway.

And I would not worry about me hating the series on a whole. I still think Thief is one of the greatest game series of all times even when Thi4f was a stinker. Also keep in mind that this is maybe the sixth JRPG I have played in my whole life, so I am not burned out on the formula yet.

Patrick Bregger (303246) on 7/20/2015 5:34 PM · Permalink · Report

I should have listened to you.

The Fabulous King (1332) on 7/12/2015 4:34 PM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Patrick Bregger wrote--] Usually I am not afraid to stop playing bad games (e.g. Dragon Age: Inquisition) [/Q --end Patrick Bregger wrote--]

So does Dragon Age Inquisition suck then? I've yet to play it.

Patrick Bregger (303246) on 7/12/2015 6:14 PM · Permalink · Report

It is a pretty offline MMO with awful controls. Play The Witcher 3 instead.

Slug Camargo (583) on 7/9/2015 12:06 AM · Permalink · Report

I just bought a 360 gamepad. The last time I had one of these it was like 7 years ago, and it was a generic PS2-copycat thing whose sticks broke down in like a week. This one took some getting used to, what with so much time having used the mouse exclusively plus the weird position of the sticks, but now I'm definitively loving it. This kind of gamepad might very well be the best invention mankind has ever come up with, I'm sure it'll all be downhill from here. It can't possibly get any better than this.

Anyway, I've replayed a bit of the Crystal Dynamics Tomb Raider trilogy, had a lot of fun with that (looking back, the new one is REALLY missing some good puzzling and platforming). Played a bit of the Prince of Persia trilogy, I didn't even remember how incredibly fun those games were --and I love The Two Thrones, and yes, I am including the chariot races when I say that, and I don't care what anyone says.

Aaaaand now I'm playing a new character in Dark Souls, because of course I am. After almost 300 hours, I'm finally playing this game the way it was meant to be played, and what do you know, it's even more awesome this way.

Still couldn't get my hands on Scholar of the First Sin, and that makes me a bit of a sad bunny. If I could find anyone willing to give me a virtual hand turning real money into internet money so I could buy it, that would be SO amazing...

Cavalary (11448) on 7/9/2015 10:17 AM · Permalink · Report

So no Paysafecard or Webmoney available there or accepted by the store?

Slug Camargo (583) on 7/9/2015 11:58 PM · Permalink · Report

I used to buy via Paypal using this international debit card, but I don't have that anymore. I'm trying to get a hold of a new one, but it's proving rather troublesome (credit companies down here don't like me because of my dark past).

I'm this close to sending the cash to some friend who can turn it into Paypal money, but having to pay a Western Union fee for just 30 bucks seems a bit exaggerated, even being the gigantic fanboi I am :T

vedder (71122) on 7/9/2015 12:14 PM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Dr. M. "Schadenfreude" Von Katze wrote--]I just bought a 360 gamepad. The last time I had one of these it was like 7 years ago, and it was a generic PS2-copycat thing whose sticks broke down in like a week. This one took some getting used to, what with so much time having used the mouse exclusively plus the weird position of the sticks, but now I'm definitively loving it. This kind of gamepad might very well be the best invention mankind has ever come up with, I'm sure it'll all be downhill from here. It can't possibly get any better than this.

Anyway, I've replayed a bit of the Crystal Dynamics Tomb Raider trilogy, had a lot of fun with that (looking back, the new one is REALLY missing some good puzzling and platforming). Played a bit of the Prince of Persia trilogy, I didn't even remember how incredibly fun those games were --and I love The Two Thrones, and yes, I am including the chariot races when I say that, and I don't care what anyone says.

Aaaaand now I'm playing a new character in Dark Souls, because of course I am. After almost 300 hours, I'm finally playing this game the way it was meant to be played, and what do you know, it's even more awesome this way.

Still couldn't get my hands on Scholar of the First Sin, and that makes me a bit of a sad bunny. If I could find anyone willing to give me a virtual hand turning real money into internet money so I could buy it, that would be SO amazing... [/Q --end Dr. M. "Schadenfreude" Von Katze wrote--]

I love the 360 controller as well. The Sony Dualshock never made sense to me because it's too small for my hands (I'm not a tiny Asian, I'm a tall Germanic) and as such I have to cramp by thumbs in impossible positions whereas the 360 controller feels like they used my hands as a mold.

That said the D-pad is horrendous, but luckily most games are smart enough not to use that for anything useful.

The Xbone controller in that regard is absolutely perfect because it has a very nice D-pad (basically the Nintendo cross) and is otherwise identical. Very tempted to buy it. But it's so darn expensive...

Slug Camargo (583) on 7/9/2015 11:59 PM · Permalink · Report

Thanks for that comment about the D-Pad, I thought it was just me being a ham-fisted moron :P

I'm looking at pictures of the Xbone controller and indeed, the D-Pad seems like something that would actually do what I intend it to without getting weird ideas now and then; and also they moved the battery status button (or whatever that's called) out of the way, which is the other thing I could complain about.

So I take back what I said before, THIS is the best invention blah blah blah :P

Adzuken (836) on 7/10/2015 12:41 AM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Dr. M. "Schadenfreude" Von Katze wrote--]Thanks for that comment about the D-Pad, I thought it was just me being a ham-fisted moron :P

I'm looking at pictures of the Xbone controller and indeed, the D-Pad seems like something that would actually do what I intend it to without getting weird ideas now and then; and also they moved the battery status button (or whatever that's called) out of the way, which is the other thing I could complain about.

So I take back what I said before, THIS is the best invention blah blah blah :P [/Q --end Dr. M. "Schadenfreude" Von Katze wrote--] I bought a 360 controller shortly after the console's release and used it for years for 3D games where mouse and keyboard didn't feel quite right. The left thumbstick is extremely warn down from so much use. It certainly is a solid controller, aside from it's horrendous d-pad. For 2D sidescrollers, I typically try to fit the controls to a Super Famicom controller, since an analogue stick just feels wrong in those situations.

However, I recently swapped it out for a Wii U Pro controller. It's pretty similar, but it's lighter, has a better d-pad, and its battery life is in the range of 80 hours. I prefer its symmetrical analogue sticks, especially on the right side of the controller. In cases where I need to move the stick and press the buttons at the same time, I feel more comfortable in the hook-hand position if my index finger is moving the stick and my thumb is operating the buttons. The controllers only real downside is the fact that its trigger buttons are digital rather than analogue, which makes it less than ideal for driving games.

The Fabulous King (1332) on 7/16/2015 9:53 PM · Permalink · Report

The Stanley Parable :D

Slug Camargo (583) on 7/22/2015 12:23 AM · Permalink · Report

I finally got my paws on an international debit card, so I'm back in the game buying game! Yippeeee!

First up, of course, Scholar of the First Sin. And that will probably be that. At least until Dark Souls III comes out [T]/

Scholar is pretty much everything everyone says it is. It is a notable improvement over Dark Souls II in every aspect you can think of, but it doesn't so much feel as an enhanced version, as it rather makes the DX9 version feel as a paid beta test. And a completely unnecessary game to own.

Anyway, the visuals surprised me more than I expected: just a dash of depth of field and subtle improvements to the lighting go an incredibly long way. As for the game proper, I've only played for 6 hours and I just cleared the Forest of the Fallen Giants, but so far I'm enjoying it a lot. The level design is still crap and the layout of the world still makes no sense, but I'm loving the new enemy placement. Even though the geography itself is garbage, the locations the enemies inhabit now makes much more sense. And there's something to be said about replaying a game you know by heart, but having everything moved around. Good times.

I think I'm experiencing it from the best perspective: being the owner of the original but not having played the DLC. This way, it's like I'm getting a Director's Cut edition for the price of a season pass. That way looking, I don't feel so bad for paying again for it. Still, while I love From as I rarely every loved any company ever, the whole deal is bordering a flat-out scam, especially for the people who purchased the DLC for the DX9 version.

Patrick Bregger (303246) on 8/7/2015 4:35 PM · Permalink · Report

I suddenly had the urge to play Neverwinter Nights. Despite some big general flaws, it turns out the game system is relatively solid if you ignore the original campaign. Currently I'm playing Hordes of the Underdark, the second official expansion, which is excellent.

Cavalary (11448) on 8/7/2015 7:32 PM · Permalink · Report

Heh, still to finish that one. Perfectionism didn't let me, darn tricky to get the most possible exp and loot and I just gave up. checks Last save from start of 2011.

Not that I'd need every little thing, as I pulled my character through it all to that point, so he's I believe level 26, or maybe still 25 (epic sorcerer). Remember was planning to multi him to fighter at next level up too, for the armor feats, as I was getting the still spell feats to have no problem with that, make a battlemage there finally. Another reason why I stopped, since I kept being uncertain.

chirinea (47507) on 8/7/2015 8:11 PM · Permalink · Report

I stopped playing it because it is too hard to play it as a rogue. I am (or was, since it's been quite a while since I last played it) on chapter 2 of the main quest and there was this whole section of dungeons with orcs inside that prevented me to keep going further at a faster pace. I hired a cleric to help me, but even so we would get our asses busted.

Last time I checked I was in a brothel. Too many different choices there made me stop also.

Anyway, it seems that the basic rule when playing D&D games is: if your controlling a party, make characters from all classes; if playing solo, make a fighter or die trying.

Cavalary (11448) on 8/7/2015 9:22 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

I always make mages and then struggle to use them as fighters to conserve spells/mana. On this, always the best DR and regeneration stuff I can find, plus of course as much AC as you can get on a wizardly type. And with that vampiric sword on this one too, remember plenty of long fights with enemies where I usually wasn't hitting and if they were they weren't damaging, as I'd end up better healed by the end than I entered.

Oh, and never had a companion throughout the game, for not wanting to lose exp. Didn't even keep my familiar summoned, recall a few cases where it was necessary but just for a quick backstab or two and then unsummon to get full exp on the kill. Just have her out for traps and locks of course, being the pixie.

GTramp (81961) on 8/7/2015 11:42 PM · Permalink · Report

I'd say you, guys, are masochists. But I won't say that since I'm kinda in the same boat as you, but on the other end -- for getting a perfect run in Super Meat Boy, for example.

Patrick Bregger (303246) on 8/8/2015 6:32 AM · edited · Permalink · Report

Henchmen in Neverwinter Nights don't receive experience; they just level up alongside your character. And there is absolutely no point in conserving spells because you can rest almost everywhere anyway.

The original campaign is a horrible, boring slashfest (I had to start it like five times over 14 years before I finally had the stomach to finish it) and it must be even worse if you choose to ignore Henchmen.

Cavalary (11448) on 8/8/2015 12:28 PM · Permalink · Report

They don't receive exp, but you get less if they're there. And I know I can rest and still don't want to. Just how I've always played, as frugal and tactical as possible, doing it any other way just feels wrong.

The original campaign, yeah, got boring after a while, though I sure liked it at first. Then just came a point where I said fuck it and stopped, picked it back up after a couple of years. But there was less slashing and a lot more running around in my case, you wouldn't believe how much I killed with just this.

Cavalary (11448) on 8/8/2015 6:13 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

Actually, this talk made me reinstall NWN... Heh... (Patch to 1.69 using the patch from neverwintervault.org, since site no longer exists... Now I'm sure I had CEP2 installed too, but don't think it's relevant to the base modules, is it? Save loads at least...)

So here'd be Calad's stats, towards the end of chapter 2 of HotU:

The damage resistance is 10/+5 from a ring plus 35/- for electrical from helm (which also does the haste). This being me in melee gear (see the shield too), as this save is from before a fight I wasn't sure I should do then or delay or not do at all and solve that the other way, hence the stop. Looking through inventory, I have a stuff for just about everything, high resistance to other elements, other ways to get more armor to swap for the more wizardly robes (also have something with SR 14), other attribute boosts, all sorts of charges/day items... Regeneration is just +1, sure I had a +4 too at some point but must have ditched it, actually think I had a 2nd +1 too, but have +5 vampiric from sword so when in combat it works. Ah well.

Donatello (466) on 8/11/2015 7:51 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

Yeah, I love the underlying system and engine of NWN, but the original campaign is terrible. Might be fun in co-op, I'll probably get to it with my girlfriend at some point. There's some excellent fan modules as well.

Otherwise, I'm pretty much limiting myself to one game at the time, so I've digged into Dark Souls proper. Too early to tell how I feel about it, although Demon's Souls was more captivating at this point. It seems a bit harder, but that might be because I am playing a more strength-oriented this time around, while in Demon Souls I focused on endurance and dexterity. So it takes some time to adjust.

Well, there's also Borderlands 2, but I play it exclusively co-op with my girlfriend and it's an alternative to just Skyping with her. As with first one, it's a terrible solo experience, but co-op is incredibly fun.

Cavalary (11448) on 8/26/2015 1:03 PM · Permalink · Report

Speaking of NWN, hefty piece about it in here: http://www.rpgcodex.net/content.php?id=9736 And on top of the links listed there about how and why content had to be changed and they pretty much had to throw away the original campaign idea they had and just throw something together so they won't just ship a toolset, here's a quicker one just on this topic: http://www.rpgwatch.com/articles/neverwinter-nights--bob-mccabe-interview-211.html. Which I'm guess anyone who was interested already knew of for years, but I just stumbled into it while checking stuff on GameBanshee now that I got back to HotU after all these years, so...

CalaisianMindthief (8172) on 8/22/2015 8:09 PM · Permalink · Report

I've been playing Dungeon Siege 2 for the last month or so and I'm almost at the end. Very long game, as expected, Steam says a played it for 55 hours, out of which probably 5 it was idle.

The story and lore really grabbed me, however the monster designs were more inspired in the first Dungeon Siege, I must admit. The mechanics are solid, although I find the skill tree a bit lacking--I would love to have more options. You can build parties of four (five at Veteran, six at Elite) and one of the things that annoys me is that some companion-specific quests involve a lot of backtracking around the world (I hate repetition), and I didn't care much about most of the companions. Having a smaller party available on the Mercenary difficulty means that this time around I avoided having any pets, which is sad (I played most of the original Dungeon Siege with a mule in my party) but unavoidable. It might be worth keeping one at higher difficulties, but they must be unlocked first.

So far, considering how much enjoyment I got out of point and click action RPGs, I'm placing both Dungeon Sieges, Titan Quest and the Divinity games ahead of the first two Diablos.

Freeman (65146) on 8/23/2015 9:19 PM · Permalink · Report

Once you're finished with the games, make sure to check out the movies by acclaimed director Uwe Boll! =P

CalaisianMindthief (8172) on 8/26/2015 6:35 PM · Permalink · Report

A true master at work. :)

Slug Camargo (583) on 8/29/2015 4:44 PM · Permalink · Report

I downloaded the Dying Light demo because I was mildly interested in the whole first-person parkour/melee thing, but it turned out to run like crap on my PC: I'm getting constant one-second freezes every time I turn, so I got as far as getting out of the room the game starts in, fiddled a bit with the settings, googled and tried a bunch of fixes; and when noting worked I just went back to Scholar of the First Sin.

Oh, well. Keep on praising the sun, I say.

Patrick Bregger (303246) on 9/5/2015 5:05 AM · edited · Permalink · Report

I just finished Shadowrun: Hong Kong. It is very good, even better than Dragonfall. I especially loved the improved level design and the whole atmosphere and graphical style completely strikes my chord anyway. The new matrix sucks, though. The new screen when picking up an item is also awful and almost makes me glad that there are almost no item drops anymore.

I hope Harebrained Schemes continues to make new campaigns for all eternity.

Patrick Bregger (303246) on 9/8/2015 6:53 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

Currently I'm playing Nehrim, a total conversion of Oblivion. I like it because it manages to invoke the trademark Elder Scrolls obsession of exploring and looting dungeons. Especially the latter I like because they are not built from the repetitive Oblivion dungeon setpieces.

However, I am not so hot on the mechanical changes. It basically tries to be Gothic in the Oblivion engine which is especially evident in the character progression: using skills make them rise, but level ups depend on experience points. The obvious advantage (at least for me) is that all enemies are leveled and therefore - in contrast to Oblivion - I expect a sense of progression. But I don't expect that this mix will be better than the two systems on their own.

At least after seven hours I find the game a tad too difficult. The combat system of Oblivion is not exactly great and offers not much choices between blocking and hitting (because of plot reasons not even magic is a possibility at this point). This means the difficulty only comes from enemies hitting hard and having many hitpoints. Not a big fan of that sort of difficulty.

The teleportation system is annoying for the sake of being annoying. I can live with a disabled fast travel system and teleportation spells, but limiting the number of teleportations with limited teleportation stones is too much. So far it did not bother me - and maybe it never will if the quest and encounter design accounts for it - but I sure have a mod lined up which I will enable as soon as it gets annoying. I'm too old to walk half an hour between two already visited points on the map.

Patrick Bregger (303246) on 9/21/2015 4:51 PM · Permalink · Report

After 36 hours of Nehrim, I still love playing it. The quest design is OK (the main quest is pretty passable, but the side quests not involving dungeons are meh), but overall Oblivion was much better in that regard. At least I remember it that way, at least it had more highlights. The story is passable (and therefore much better than the Oblivion crap), the character writing is a bit stiff, voice acting is for a mod also passable.

Overall that does not read too great, but the dungeon design is king. It was not very good in Oblivion, at least as soon as you recognize all setpieces. In Nehrim, every dungeon has something unique, every dungeon is worth exploring. And because dungeon exploring is about 2/3 of the game, I know who wins the duel.

My enjoyment of the game also increased significantly as soon as I installed the mod which enables fast travel.

vedder (71122) on 9/8/2015 8:04 PM · Permalink · Report

After six years I've finally finished puzzle quest on the DS! I only play on the device when on vacation so hence the long duration.

By the way. This thread is nearly 1 year old. Isn't it time for a new one?

Cavalary (11448) on 9/9/2015 12:04 AM · Permalink · Report

Could wait for it to actually get to 1 year, since it's close.

The Fabulous King (1332) on 9/9/2015 5:27 PM · Permalink · Report

I say we go after the Guiness records!

vedder (71122) on 9/21/2015 6:19 PM · Permalink · Report

Playing Jouney on the PS4. It's magical!

Are there any other games on the PS3 games on the PS4 I shouldn't miss (I never had a PS3)? I already spotted God of War 3 Remastered and the Uncharted collection.

Sciere (930964) on 9/23/2015 5:27 PM · Permalink · Report

The Last of Us was the defining PS3 game, re-mastered with the excellent DLC on PS4. The Unfinished Swan may also be to your liking, even though the magic wears off after a few hours.

vedder (71122) on 9/23/2015 5:38 PM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Sciere wrote--]The Last of Us was the defining PS3 game, re-mastered with the excellent DLC on PS4. The Unfinished Swan may also be to your liking, even though the magic wears off after a few hours. [/Q --end Sciere wrote--]

Ah yes I already finished The Last of Us Remastered. Forgot to mention that. That, Geometry Wars 3 and Journey are so far the only games I've played on PS4.

I'll have a look at the Unfinished Swan.

The Fabulous King (1332) on 9/27/2015 4:50 PM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Sciere wrote--]The Last of Us was the defining PS3 game, re-mastered with the excellent DLC on PS4. The Unfinished Swan may also be to your liking, even though the magic wears off after a few hours. [/Q --end Sciere wrote--]

Will they never port "Last of Us" to PC? God dammit.... sigh ... is PS4 or 3 worth it?

vedder (71122) on 9/28/2015 5:13 PM · Permalink · Report

With the PS4 having been released for over a year in the Netherlands and almost 2 years in the US I must say I'm a bit disappointed with the available titles. All the cross platform titles seem to be much more expensive than on PC so I rather buy it on Steam (my PC and PS4 are hooked to the same screen anyway).

The Last of Us and Journey are definitely fantastic games. But other than God of War 3 and Unchartered I haven't really found any games on the device I'm really curious about. I'm hoping more PS2/3 exclusives will surface on it eventually though. Heavy Rain, ICO and Shadow of the Colossus would be instant buys for me.

Sciere (930964) on 9/28/2015 5:29 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

I haven't made the transition to PS4/X1 and I don't intend to. There used to be a fairly sized library of games not available on PC, but almost everything is cross-platform now and way less expensive, and what remains is sometimes interesting, but not really worth the purchase of another device.

chirinea (47507) on 9/28/2015 9:21 PM · Permalink · Report

The last console I bought was the Zeebo just because I wanted to contribute stuff here, I moved on to PC since the PSOne days, and given that I usually don't mind playing games as soon as they get released, I end up being able to play even exclusive ones when they get to be well emulated (yeah, that means it would take 5 years or more, but I have lots of games to play meanwhile). Nowadays, as you guys are pointing out, it almost isn't necessary at all.

CalaisianMindthief (8172) on 9/27/2015 6:18 AM · Permalink · Report

I'm currently playing Mass Effect the first. I have 36 hours registered and I feel I have done very little plotwise, even though the game is trying very hard to tell me that the end is approaching. One big reason is the lack of fully developed hubs (colonies, Earth, alien megalopolises) that I could explore outside of the main story line. The planets I get to visit are rather barren--they have their charm, but I want more. What I want is more locations like Noveria and Feros, which I must admit impressed me.

Another reason are the companions. The first problem is that you meet almost all of them at the beginning of the game and they're only a handful. The second problem is that their backstories are not really interesting, with one exception maybe. And the third is, this is pretty subjective, nobody really clicked with me. The one I like the most is Tali.

It seems to me that Bioware departed from a traditional RPG design, and as a result the game had to suffer. I would still recommend it, however. The interesting parts are worth it.

CalaisianMindthief (8172) on 9/28/2015 6:19 PM · Permalink · Report

Now that I've finished it I will rename it to better reflect its content:

drum roll

Mass Effect: Elevators.

Nice ending, by the way.

Patrick Bregger (303246) on 10/22/2015 4:57 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

I just finished the Hearts of Stone expansion for The Witcher III. It is just as good as the main game. Did not like the boss fights, though.

And now I can't decide if I should buy Sword Coast Legends or not. I get some mixed signals, but the main complaints seem to be that it makes significant changes to the D&D system (which I am not specifically opposed to because I only know D&D from computer games and many aspects just don't work well; I also know nothing about D&D5) and that the editor/multiplayer sucks (which I could not care less about).

Cavalary (11448) on 10/22/2015 6:35 PM · Permalink · Report

My first issue with D&D is the randomness. Can't tell me it's right for a top level fighter with all the right skills and attributes and an awesome weapon has a 4th attack roll of, say, d20+17, and a damage of, say, d10+11. Crazy impact of randomness there even at the highest skill levels, where you'd normally expect it to hardly even exist anymore.

Second is how rarely you get to improve characters, with the rare level ups and those being the only moments when you can do anything.

Patrick Bregger (303246) on 10/23/2015 6:02 AM · Permalink · Report

My main gripe is the vancian spell system which may work perfectly for pen & paper games, but is just not for video games. It either leads to constant annoying traveling to the last resting point or simple rest spamming like in the Infinity Engine games. It also means that wizards mostly just stand around and throw their useless slings because they need to conserve spells. There is a reason why I always use sorcerers when available.

The whole spell system is also way too obtuse. I love the magician battles in Baldur's Gate II as much as anyone, but do we really need 15 protection spells and 15 protection removal spells which only differ in details?

Cavalary (11448) on 10/23/2015 1:02 PM · Permalink · Report

Ah yes, spell preparation is rotten. I just have my sorcerer in NWN (picked back up this year but apparently dropped again as of a while ago... thinking of getting back there to finish it (HotU too, I mean) already... someday), so not hit much with that, as you say.

Makes sense if you go for realism, magic is hard and spells need to be prepared ahead of time to be able to be cast relatively quickly when needed, but as you say, doesn't work in games. Need a plain mana system. Or, alternately, a hybrid. Prepared spells are cast quickly at little cost, other lower level spells can be cast unprepared at a much higher cost and taking some amount of time, and spells can also be prepared individually if the spellcaster stands still and takes no action for a certain amount of time. So you can prepare X spells when resting, but if you know you'll need one you didn't prepare in the next room, wait for a minute (while other party members, if it's party-based, can still roam around) and it'll be added.

Or smth of the sort.

Patrick Bregger (303246) on 10/24/2015 9:48 AM · edited · Permalink · Report

After about 10 hours in Sword Coast Legends (I am weak), I think I can give first impressions. The character system is close to Dragon Age: Origins and the plot and companion structure (not the content) feels close to Neverwinter Night 2, but more focused on dungeon crawling. Unfortunately everything is weaker. But since I love games like this in general, I still have a lot of fun.

I don't like the magic system much. They answer all my previous complaints about the D&D system, but replace them with weaker systems. Spell preparation and resting is completely gone and the spells are completely cooldown based. Because there is no mana as limiting factor, they add ridiculous long cooldowns for the more powerful spells. This leads to the problem that I can't use spells more than once or twice per battle (except some elemental spells which basically serve as ranged weapon replacement) and therefore lose much tactical freedom. The spell range was shrunk down too much for my taste (the whole protection and counter-protection aspect is gone).

Also a D&D game without Horrid Wilting? Boooh!

CalaisianMindthief (8172) on 10/24/2015 12:21 PM · Permalink · Report

Sounds neat. Is it story-focused or does it feel more like "raid a dungeon, kill some monsters" type of affair?

Patrick Bregger (303246) on 10/24/2015 1:09 PM · Permalink · Report

It is too soon to say for sure, but so far I'd say the pacing is similar to Act I of Neverwinter Nights 2: mostly dungeons with a bit city adventure in between. The dialogue, quests and story are on Baldur's Gate (not 2!) level, only the companions are more developed.

Patrick Bregger (303246) on 10/31/2015 6:56 AM · Permalink · Report

I just finished Act II (according to Steam, 22 hours) and I need to revise my statement. Directly after I made the previous post, it turned into a straight dungeon crawler (including technically outdoors areas). Fortunately the dungeons are relatively compact so it does not make the classic Neverwinter Nights mistake of dragging on for far too long.

I also started to play Evoland II and like it a lot (after five hours). The idea is fantastic, the gameplay is good, the mini-games are well implemented and the writing is funny. So far it succeeds in all aspects which made Retro City Rampage so bad.

Cavalary (11448) on 10/30/2015 8:54 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

Seems like there will be plenty of free improvements for SCL, following the poor reviews.

vedder (71122) on 11/2/2015 11:23 AM · Permalink · Report

I've finished part two of Broken Age. While I like the artistic style of the game and the puzzles have its moments, there are just too many "game designer logic" puzzles that ruin the mood.

Now playing Sam & Max Season 03. More of the same obviously, but Sam & Max don't get old. Their dry sense of humour has always been right up my alley!

The Fabulous King (1332) on 11/4/2015 6:53 AM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start vedder wrote--]...there are just too many "game designer logic" puzzles that ruin the mood.

[/Q --end vedder wrote--]

Which puzzles do you mean? Can you give an example? I've never thought of this term before, so I'm just curious. I also played it recently, found it okay.

Rola (8482) on 11/3/2015 4:27 PM · Permalink · Report

Right now I'm playing a free browser game called Star Runner: Genesis that despite its problems with mechanics deserves some attention. It tries to follow the tradition of Elite & Privateer (space trading & combat), has artsy illustrations similar in style of 1980s sci-fi comics (do I need to add it's a French game?), your ship has full customization (want a new paint job?).

Patrick Bregger (303246) on 11/10/2015 8:52 PM · Permalink · Report

I broke one of the most important rules of video gaming: never buy a Bethesda game before a mod fixes the godawful user interface. Damn.

Patrick Bregger (303246) on 11/24/2015 6:09 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

I don't know, I am disappointed. Normally when I play a Fallout or Elder Scrolls game, I fall in a trance and just can't stop playing. Here I play sometimes and I have fun, but I am not really into it.

It is a common complaint that in Fallout 3 all settlements except Rivet City made no sense and had no reason to exist outside their gimmick. But it sure beats the big nothing of Fallout 4. After 26 hours I visited like two locations which pass as inhabited areas and those are only fronts for the awful city building mechanic. The new character system is too simple and I'll never understand why developers feel the need to add dialogue wheels. They always suck. Also fuck voiced protagonists who add nothing useful.

I don't even complain that they don't build up on New Vegas which improved on Fallout 3 in every way. That was to be expected. But that they don't even manage to conserve the good parts of Fallout 3 is disappointing.

Edit: I don't want to sound too negative, so one thing which was improved: shooting. In Fallout 4 I use VATS rarely because normal shooting is much more satisfying. In Fallout 3 and NV I used a lot because it was so effective, especially against bullet sponge enemies. The level scaling also feels better than in Fallout 3.

chirinea (47507) on 11/11/2015 1:22 AM · edited · Permalink · Report

I'm playing Dark Souls: Prepare to Die Edition. It hurts, but it hurts so good! The game is terribly addictive, but why is it so ugly? I understand theres a fix for having higher resolutions, but the main menu natively allows me to change to 1920 x 1080, which is the highest I can get, but the game still looks blurry and opaque.

Slug Camargo (583) on 11/19/2015 12:42 AM · edited · Permalink · Report

Awwwww, yisss! Another poor soul to praise the sun with! [T]/

The blurriness you talk about probably is the weird and rather retarded way in which the game handles resolution: Basically, the internal resolution is fixed at 1024x720, no matter what resolution you blow it up to, which ends up with the pixels being stretched and all messed up.

In this thread there's a link to the DSFix and some before/after images and whatnot.

chirinea (47507) on 11/19/2015 1:13 AM · Permalink · Report

The game doesn't look like shit anymore, yay! I mean, it still isn't the prettiest thing, but at least all the blurriness is gone. Thank you so much, Doc!

Tracy Poff (2095) on 11/11/2015 1:33 AM · Permalink · Report

Over the course of a couple of weeks, I 100% completed Yoshi's Woolly World in co-op. The game wasn't bad, but collecting all the hidden stuff was kind of annoying.

YWW does, unfortunately, suffer from the same problems as Nintendo's other simultaneous-play platformers: too easy to get in the other player's way, getting killed in vertical sections due to the camera following the upper player (even when you're supped to be falling), getting stuck behind obstacles if you're too far apart... it's a shame. I really like playing games in co-op, and I really like Nintendo's platformers, but they just feel unpolished in co-op.

CalaisianMindthief (8172) on 11/11/2015 4:10 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

I have finished the main campaign of Revenge of the Titans. I haven't been on the edge of my seat like this for a while--so many close victories! At least half of the missions I've finished on Maximum difficulty, which is surprising, with most of the others on high. Very good tower defense game. One of the best parts is how the characters talk: "Blabla Blablabla Bla"--very funny.

And now it's time for Mass Effect 3

GTramp (81961) on 11/24/2015 1:19 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

I just finished SOMA, a new game by Frictional Games, and what seems their best game so far. Well, here's a studio that's constantly evolving - from trying their hand at 2D horror Fiend - to Penumbra trilogy - to excellent Amnesia and DLC Justine and finally to this game.

It's less scary than Amnesia, but way more varied and engaging (at least that's how I felt). It tells quite a complex story that's very interesting to follow. It also looks great, finally up to modern standards.

The Fabulous King (1332) on 11/24/2015 6:35 PM · Permalink · Report

Hey guys! How's Fallout 4? Anyone playing it?

Cavalary (11448) on 11/24/2015 8:13 PM · Permalink · Report

Look up to Patrick's reply :)

As for me, there is a 4 all right, but Tropico 4...

Adzuken (836) on 11/26/2015 4:15 PM · Permalink · Report

I'm playing Fallout 4. I'm having a lot of fun with it, but it's perhaps a little too similar to recent Elder Scrolls and Fallout games. It's pretty uncanny, especially considering it has the same engine quirks that those games had. It's also just as glitchy as those games were. I haven't run into anything showstopping, like I did in New Vegas, but there are definitely moments where the world gets pretty weird all of a sudden and all logic goes out the window. I'm also seeing a lot of performance issues, horrible slow texture pop-in, and issues with my guns not loading in a reasonable time frame. At least I'm not getting the frequent blue screens of death that had me jamming the quick save button in the previous two Fallouts.

New gameplay features, such as colony building, seem pretty superficial in the big picture, but they're a lot of fun anyway. I also love the design of the world more than I did with the previous Fallouts; it feels a lot more varied and interesting. I prefer the old character building model over than the perk-based leveling they've used here, but it's not a deal breaker. As I normally do with these games, I've been mostly ignoring the main story missions, so I can't comment on the plot.

All in all, it's just more Fallout, which I don't count as a bad thing. I'm not sure I like it as much as Fallout 3, but I've put over 100 hours into it, so that says something.

Masa♥Yuki (3080) on 11/27/2015 11:43 AM · edited · Permalink · Report

Also playing Fallout 4 and I totally agree with you Adzuken. Building settlements seemed completely unnecessary (according to one of the devs, if something was going to be cut, that would have been the first to go) but it's a surprisingly fun feature that I spent a lot of time with. And yeah, the world design feels a lot more interesting and less...brown.

Not the biggest fan of the new leveling system either, but I like that everything can be maxed out eventually. As a side note, I'm also loving the characters. The charas in F3, NV, and even Elder Scrolls felt kind of two-dimensional compared to charas in 4 like Nick Valentine and Hancock (my personal favorites :). But maybe that's just in my head...

Ultimately, despite some of the glitches and minor gripes, the wait for this game was so worth it... I do not regret faking sick so I could stay home and play all day. ;p (Ironically enough the game does give me some pretty bad motion sickness, but I'm having so much fun with it that I'll just keep popping pills...)

Sorry to hear that you didn't like it, Patrick. I can see your point on everything except the voiced protagonists. I was iffy on that before seeing it in action but I love the toughness/attitude that the female VA puts into her lines. I read that the male VA sounds more sentimental (or something like that) so I'm looking forward to trying out a male playthrough for my second, out of curiosity if nothing else. I guess it's all a matter of opinion. :)

Patrick Bregger (303246) on 12/6/2015 8:06 AM · edited · Permalink · Report

After 43 (according to my save game) respectively 47 hours (according to Steam) I finished my first visit to Diamond City. Better than the samey locations I visited before, but still very meh in comparison to New Vegas.

Normally Bethesda games have a huge ton of uninteresting quests along with a few fantastic ones (e.g. the murder mansion and painting quests in Oblivion). So far it seems like they ditched the interesting ones and only used the radiant quest generator (which was the absolute worst feature in Skyrim) to create each and every quest of the game. Normally they window-dress the more shitty quests in "at least we tried" dialogue, but thanks to the awful wheel this goes straight through the windows.

I encountered five companions of so far (dog, two robots, Piper and the minuteman which is the most generic of generic companions), but so far I see no reason for praise. I can't judge Curie yet (only met her yesterday) and I like Piper, but nothing special. I admit that the companions are better than in Skyrim and Fallout 3. Not that that's hard. On the other side, I encountered the absolute most retarded moment in Diamond City which even surpasses the fucking Cthulhu building in Fallout 3 in its stupidness.

Overall I am disappointed with the locations I discovered. There were not many occasions where I felt I found something unique and interesting. Everything feels so identical. Even Skyrim with its standard fantasy setting managed to make locations feel more unique.

I am also amazed that Bethesda manages to make the UI worse and worse in every game they put out. I hated the new radio guy, but then I did the associated quest and thought to myself "well, at least he was supposed to be annoying". And then the new style is even worse. Yay. At least the music is good.

I probably sound a bit negative, but I still like the game enough to put many more hours into it. I still like it enough to have the ambition to visit every marked location. But is is clearly the worst real Fallout game so far. I also noticed that I have the urge to close every paragraph with "New Vegas did it better".

Overall I don't know what to make of the last year of RPGs. On one hand it was the year of disappointments (Fallout 4, Dragon Age: Inquisition, Final Fantasy XIII, Sword Coast Legends), but on the other hand The Witcher III and Pillars of Eternity surpassed even my highest expectations.

Cavalary (11448) on 12/6/2015 12:50 PM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Patrick Bregger wrote--] Overall I don't know what to make of the last year of RPGs. On one hand it was the year of disappointments (Fallout 4, Dragon Age: Inquisition, Final Fantasy XIII, Sword Coast Legends), but on the other hand The Witcher III and Pillars of Eternity surpassed even my highest expectations. [/Q --end Patrick Bregger wrote--] Heavyweights disappoint, as usual, mediumweights (albeit one by now punching high above) amaze, and Sword Coast Legends was a rather lightweight attempt that didn't quite make the cut. Fair enough "translation"?

CalaisianMindthief (8172) on 11/26/2015 8:26 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

I finished Mass Effect 3 and my only disappointments are the skill system, which is simple and uninteresting, and the beginning of the game, which fails to sell it properly. For the first scenes I was thinking "Oh no, where am I?" Everything was so grim and dull compared to the cheery atmosphere from the first two MEs and KOTOR. Thankfully, while the palette remained pretty dark and washed out, the game regained its composure after Shepard could start exploring the galaxy.

Some minor hiccups here and there, but as a whole the series is a classic.

Right now I noticed I had Sega Mega Drive Collection in my Steam library, so I proceeded to install it. Out of the bunch, I've already played Gain Ground and Golden Axe before, so I'm not playing those and I'm skipping Shinobi III because they didn't include the previous ones. This week I already managed to finish Altered Beast and Comix Zone (thanks save slots). Altered Beast is terrible; it's cheesy and stupid, that's one thing, but more importantly the controls feel very wrong. Comix Zone is brilliant however, this is the kind of game I expect to find in a Genesis collection. Also, Roadkill is probably one of the best pets in gaming.

chirinea (47507) on 12/9/2015 2:22 AM · Permalink · Report

Still playing Dark Souls. Just now I accidentally killed an NPC (Ingward). It seems some people kill the guy on purpose to get a key he drops. I killed him because this game makes you afraid of everything you find, you just don't give a chance for anything to get the first hit, so I hit him and I killed him, and now I feel terrible.

Slug Camargo (583) on 12/10/2015 1:34 AM · Permalink · Report

YOU'RE A TERRIBLE, TERRIBLE PERSON >:(

LOL Yeah, that kind of thing happens: I did it with an NPC in Dark Souls II in three different characters before I knew the poor guy wasn't an enemy. And if I remember correctly, Oleg hit Andre (the first blacksmith) accidentally and ended up killing him, which surely screwed up his paythrough badly. But yeah, Ingward is one of the especially sad ones to kill because he's a rather nice guy. And he has a really shitty job too.

As a rule of thumb, keep in mind that (usually) whatever is going to attack you, will attack pretty quickly. If a character just stands there and pays no mind to you after they detected your presence, there's a good chance it's not hostile.

Well, if anything, at least now you can complete New Londo. The lower area is a good farming spot for titanite chunks.

By the way: Did you get the key? That's important, if you didn't you just hit a bug. There is a way to recover it yet, but it requires some h4x0ring. Speaking of which, DSFix has an option to backup your savegames, you might wanna enable that, it can be useful in an emergency (the game has only one save file and if anything happens you're pretty much screwed) (and in this case you could have cheated a bit and restore an older save).

Man, I miss Dark Souls. I haven't been playing anything for weeks, I really need to get my gaming act together :T

chirinea (47507) on 12/10/2015 1:53 AM · Permalink · Report

Yeah, I got the key, went through the door the key opens and BAM, "you died', heh. Then I stopped playing so I could look up if I had screwed up the game. This was that one time I wish the game had multiple save slots. But oh well, now I must accept what I did and keep playing the way it is so I can purge my sins. Also, I think I'll pay a visit to the guy up in the church and pay him lots of souls so he can forgive me for my sins (even though now it's pretty pointless, it's just so I can feel better with myself again).

Slug Camargo (583) on 12/11/2015 12:54 AM · Permalink · Report

Just in case you didn't know, the forgiveness thing is an actual gameplay mechanic that can come in handy: If you accidentally aggro an NPC (say, you hit the attack button when you meant to hit the interact one), instead of fighting them just run away and rush to the church. Asking for forgiveness will make everything OK with the offended NPC again.

Donatello (466) on 12/20/2015 6:47 AM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Dr. M. "Schadenfreude" Von Katze wrote--]Just in case you didn't know, the forgiveness thing is an actual gameplay mechanic that can come in handy: If you accidentally aggro an NPC (say, you hit the attack button when you meant to hit the interact one), instead of fighting them just run away and rush to the church. Asking for forgiveness will make everything OK with the offended NPC again. [/Q --end Dr. M. "Schadenfreude" Von Katze wrote--]

Had no. Accidentally aggroed an NPC in the New Londo area because someone invaded me while I was sort of afk, and upon return to my gamepad I panicked and accidentally hit the NPC. Poor soul.

Unicorn Lynx (181769) on 12/18/2015 9:03 AM · Permalink · Report

And if I remember correctly, Oleg hit Andre (the first blacksmith) accidentally and ended up killing him, which surely screwed up his playthrough badly.

Haha, you remember that!..

Man, I felt genuine remorse after having whacked the sweet blacksmith to untimely death. That was one of the most unprovoked, gratuitous crimes I've ever done in a video game. And that includes underpaying a blind reagent seller in Ultima IV, hacking innocent cows in Baldur's Gate, and murdering a young woman in her house for the purpose of undressing her and checking out the nude move in Oblivion.

Okay, so the Oblivion thing was a bit worse.

But still... Andre! Andre!... WHAT HAVE I DOOOOONE?!?!..

Rola (8482) on 12/20/2015 5:54 PM · Permalink · Report

Do you also get that sad feeling of guilt when after machinegunning legions of men you need to shoot a dog in self defense? "Poor doggie! But I had no choice... It's the fault of those men who turned it against me! I'm glad I shot them!" ;-)