🕹️ New release: Lunar Lander Beyond

Forums > Game Talk > 2D.

GAMEBOY COLOR! (1990) on 1/5/2008 4:34 PM · Permalink · Report

Does anyone play 2D games anymore ? I plan on getting Warcraft 2 Battle.Net edition,Fallout 1, and Baldurs Gate this year. Am I the only one still enamored by 2D ? Don't get me wrong though. I love a good 3D game (like Shadow of the Colossus) and I want to play StarCraft 2, but I just can't shake the need to play something 2D most of the time. Anyonelse?

DreinIX (10446) on 1/5/2008 4:45 PM · Permalink · Report

Of course. Mostly older FFs and other games on the emulators. I don't know if I would buy any 2D games though for the next gen consoles (if there are any).

Zovni (10504) on 1/5/2008 6:14 PM · Permalink · Report

Last year I bought Castlevania DoS for the DS. Its a pretty sweet game, and a recent release too.

GAMEBOY COLOR! (1990) on 1/5/2008 7:10 PM · Permalink · Report

I'm really into Brood War and Age of Epmires 1 at the moment. But other than handhelds, I realy havn't seen many comercial 2D games.

DudeOfMonson (97) on 1/6/2008 2:21 AM · Permalink · Report

Contra 4 for the DS is pretty good. Speaking of 2D how about Marvel Vs. Capcom 2. also a pretty good game.

Daniel Saner (3503) on 1/16/2008 12:45 PM · Permalink · Report

You're not the only one. I find that whole "2D = obsolete" mentality very annoying and stupid. There are games who profit more from a 2D representation, and others who profit from being 3D. But a lot of games have been ruined by being made 3-dimensional to "keep up with the market." I still hope developers will learn this lesson.

Also, hand-crafted sprites etc. usually just have more character and personality than worlds made out of textured polygons. At least, it's a fact that it is a lot harder and more expensive to create a characteristic 3D world than a characteristic 2D world. Most 3D games tend to look the same. Compare this to 2D games where most of them time 1 screenshot thumbnail is enough to recognise the title.

Depeche Mike (17455) on 1/16/2008 3:15 PM · Permalink · Report

The thing I think we like about 2D games is a certain limitation. Let me re-phrase. You ever get a writing assignment in school where the teacher said "write about anything you want for as long as you want" and then you go home thinking it'll be so easy but then get stumped as to what to write about since you have so much or so little you could do? I think 2D games work as a strict assignment, here's all you can do, now go do as much as you can in this limited frame. I don't know, at least that's why I like them so much, it's sometimes easier to find cozy nooks and crannies in a cramped space rather than an expansive space. Mind you I've found lots of 3D games that have felt the same but seldom do they have the fluidity of 2D. If' you're looking for a midway, might I suggest Duke Nukem Manhattan Project which I think is quite an under-rated little platformer using a 3D engine.

St. Martyne (3648) on 1/16/2008 4:43 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

Since I'm more interested in exploration/interaction, today 3D is pretty much always preferable to me than 2D. 3D is something I can more easily relate to. It makes exploration engaging and more personal and interaction more immediate. And I don't think I that 3D limits artist in some way. If he is properly skilled and talented he won't feel restricted by 3D of any epoch. Let me remind you of Tex Murphy, Duke Nukem 3D, Normality and Realms Of Haunting of the early days.

Of course I can live with 2D games that are made in such way because of either certain artistic vision behind it, or graphic techniques taking advantage of two dimensional gameplay area, or gameplay mechanics that is impossible to execute in 3D environment. But with all other things being equal I would pick 3D over 2D any time of day.

As for Manhattan Project, I have to disagree with you, Mike. The game doesn't benefit from 3D in any way, unlike DN3D. It was a nice platformer with a handful of fresh Duke's quotes, but completely 2D in its essence. If there was a midway I would think more in lines of Playstation Crash Bandicoot series with it's tunnel like approach.

If I were to speculate, why 3D games, especially the early ones, are so severely lacking in appearance and quality (Simon 3D, ugh), I'd suggest that majority of the educated artists and designers coming into game industry are from artistic background that has more to do with paintings rather than sculptures. So they found themselves incompetent and lacking necessary skills and techniques, when it came to creating proper 3D environments. Compare Flashback and Fade to Black, no other two games are so similar, yet so distant from each other.

Now the situation has improved, with lots of design schools teaching 3D modeling and home cooked professionals, it's safe to expect every game to be of at least of satisfactory quality.

Игги Друге (46653) on 1/16/2008 8:57 PM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start St_Martyne wrote--]If I were to speculate, why 3D games, especially the early ones, are so severely lacking in appearance and quality (Simon 3D, ugh), I'd suggest that majority of the educated artists and designers coming into game industry are from artistic background that has more to do with paintings rather than sculptures. So they found themselves incompetent and lacking necessary skills and techniques, when it came to creating proper 3D environments.[/Q --end St_Martyne wrote--] Actually, most graphicians used to be self-taught. It's just so much easier to express yourself when you're drawing something and know that the result is exactly what you see on the screen, than in a 3D environment which will never look the same because of lighting, angles and a rendering engine which is in the hands of a mathematically skilled programmer instead of an artistically skilled painter.

Daniel Saner (3503) on 1/16/2008 10:54 PM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start St_Martyne wrote--]If I were to speculate, why 3D games, especially the early ones, are so severely lacking in appearance and quality (Simon 3D, ugh), I'd suggest that majority of the educated artists and designers coming into game industry are from artistic background that has more to do with paintings rather than sculptures.[/Q --end St_Martyne wrote--]

Or maybe it was mostly for technical reasons? Computers could only handle fewer polygons with smaller textures and less colors than today. It's a lot more difficult to be creative when your work is governed by such strict limitations, and they have a much larger impact in 3D than in 2D, where you basically are still free in what you want to do as an artist, even if you've got size, resolution and color limits.

GAMEBOY COLOR! (1990) on 1/16/2008 5:25 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

I look at games like Fallout, Baldure's Gate, StarCraft, WarCraft II and lots of other 2D games and can recongise them instantly. Unlike a lot of the 3D games today, unless it has a memorable character, or distinctive visual style (like Shadow Of the Colossus) it's hard to tell what it is. But I think it stems from developer lazyness. I can tell the difference between a Quake game and Halflife game, because of the visual style, but I have no idea what the difference is between Crysis and Timeshift. They look almost exactly the same. One game that for me tends to stand out among 3D games is Bioshock. It looks like nothing else I've seen for some time. Oh, and another note on 2D, the graphics style of Fallout and StarCraft is my personal favorite style 2D pc games. For consoles it would be Donkey Kong Country, Yoshi's Island, or Sonic.

St. Martyne (3648) on 1/16/2008 5:45 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

Let me rephrase that. "I distinguish artistically ambitious 2D games each with it's own distinctive style, and I can't tell two artistically unambitious games with hardly any style apart". See, where I'm getting at?

If not, I'll just say you're lucky you haven't played too many generic 2D games.

GAMEBOY COLOR! (1990) on 1/16/2008 7:49 PM · Permalink · Report

Trust me, I know what a generic 2D game is. Haven't played many, but I know what they are. Like Bubsy or whatever it was called.

mobiusclimber (235) on 1/16/2008 8:26 PM · Permalink · Report

i don't prefer one over the other but i think game developers are slowly starting to realize that certain games can't be 3D any more than certain games can be done 2D. gamers for the most part only care if the game is fun and actually works. i'll give you a recent example: castlevania. they threw this game into 3D even tho platformers by and large don't work in a 3D environment. they pretty much made a bland devil may cry rip-off and called it castlevania, and it sucked. same is true to a certain extent w/ the sonic games. yeah sonic adventure isn't a bad game, but it's not a true sonic game either. it's impossible to have the kind of speed that sonic is known for (whoops, that makes him sound like a pusher) and have it be in 3D. it just doesn't work. games like metal slug also would not benefit from moving to 3D. mario hasn't fair too poorly, but then the new games don't play like the old ones that much, either.

Daniel Saner (3503) on 1/16/2008 10:58 PM · Permalink · Report

Exactly what I was trying to say. 2D or 3D is not only a graphics decision, it is also an important gameplay decision. And I have had the impression that lots of games in the last 10 years have taken the wrong decision because they felt that 2D would not sell that much.

As for 2D games in general being more recognizable than 3D games, I think that's also because in 3D graphics, you normally automatically try to reproduce reality as closely as possible. That's why most of the games look almost the same, because they all try to achieve the same thing: photo-realism. If you're "unrealistic" by using 2D graphics from the beginning, maybe it's easier to be artistically free and do your own thing.

St. Martyne (3648) on 1/16/2008 11:21 PM · Permalink · Report

That's wrong, once again. 3D doesn't impose a photorealistic approach. Check Crash Bandicoot, Jak and Daxter, Spyro, Mario 64, Ratchet and Clank, Earthworm Jim, Banjo Kazooie, Normality, Conker's Bad Fur Day, Psychonauts, Viva Pinata and so on. Once again you're substituting a couple of poor 3D games you have seen with a number of 2D games you hold favourite.

GAMEBOY COLOR! (1990) on 1/17/2008 2:40 AM · Permalink · Report

Earthworm Jim is 2D.

St. Martyne (3648) on 1/17/2008 1:00 PM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start DANIEL HAWKS ! wrote--]Earthworm Jim is 2D. [/Q --end DANIEL HAWKS ! wrote--]

Are you sure?

Pseudo_Intellectual (66362) on 1/17/2008 2:45 PM · Permalink · Report

It's not entirely fair to make general reference to the sole exception in a four-game series and expect people to follow your line of thinking.

St. Martyne (3648) on 1/17/2008 3:26 PM · Permalink · Report

I thought it was understandable which game of the series I was referring to, given the context of my post.

It wasn't and I was glad to clarify. No harm's done.

Daniel Saner (3503) on 1/17/2008 2:47 AM · edited · Permalink · Report

Please read what I'm writing before criticising :)

I never wrote that all 3D games try to be photorealistic. I said that it is what people sort of automatically try to achieve when they have no other plans or ideas. I'd say about 90% or more of all new 3D games strive to achieve an image as photorealistically as possible. And there's nothing wrong about trying to do that. What I said is that some developers tried to do something different, but failed because that is more difficult in 3D than in 2D. What I wrote is not wrong, it is undeniable and others have said the same thing in this thread: that most of the 2D games are instantly recognizable by a screenshot if you know them, while with many 3D games you need a second or third look, see some of the interface, know the level, or something like that.

And I never said anything about poor 3D games or favourite 2D games. Just because a game looks photorealistic doesn't make it a poor game. And I never said anything about me preferring 2D over 3D.

St. Martyne (3648) on 1/17/2008 1:47 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

I did read what you've posted and I don't see how I'm criticizing anything or anyone.

Of course, you are entitled to your opinion, but "that most of the 2D games are instantly recognizable by a screenshot if you know them, while with many 3D games you need a second or third look" is something that contradicts my own experience. Lots of generic-looking scrollshooters or variations of the same Capcom MegaMan X theme or Street Fighter. There is no connection between the number of dimensions and memorability of the game's art, regardless of how many people say there is.

As for the 3D games getting more photorealistic, I'd say the trend is there, but not as pronounced as you make it appear and certainly not 90%. Nearly the whole Wii catalog is comprised of 3D games which hardly strive for photorealism. The majority of jRPGs and the games of other genres on X360 and PS2 are still relying more on anime/manga stylistics, with bright colored hair and big-ass swords, than on something more realistic, and in that, most of them still look generic, regardless of if they are in 2D or 3D.

So 3D and photorealism are not the same. But even if they are is I don't see how can realism prevent art in 3D game from being memorable. Please bring examples.

worldwideweird (29) on 1/17/2008 3:29 PM · Permalink · Report

I don't care if a game is 2D or 3D just as much as I don't care if a movie's black & white, VistaVision or technicolour as long as it works. I also do not necessarily think that 2D games are more easily recognizable than 3D games, I think it's the actual game that counts.

DANIEL HAWKS ! mentions in his posts that he can instantly recognize Fallout, Baldur's Gate, StarCraft and Warcraft II., but not many of todays 3D games. What are Fallout, Baldur's Gate, StarCraft and Warcraft II.? They're absolute milestones during more than a decade of 2D games, they're not just average examples of 2D, just as Quake or Half-Life are not average examples of 3D and thus quite recognizable.

I think that it's natural for people to remember good things of the past rather than bad things, which tend to be more easily forgotten (lest they were totally horrible). The time that has elapsed since the "downfall" of 2D has nowadays more or less "filtered out" all the generic, average examples and probably left our brains merely with the memories of the cream of the crop. Analogue to that, I think/hope that the only 3D games of today which people will still talk about ten years from now will all be of the recognizable department.

Moreover I think/hope that one sunny day, the decision of a game's dimension will only be made from a design standpoint of view and I echo Daniel Saner's opinion that quite some games have been ruined just because they were unnecessarily "puffed up" to 3D.

And yeah, Earthworm Jim is 2D.

GAMEBOY COLOR! (1990) on 1/17/2008 4:12 PM · Permalink · Report

That was the point I was trying to get across. I still hope though that there will still be 2D games in the future. Because other than indie games, I haven't really seen any from big name publishers. Except Capcom. The last big 2D game I remember was Yoshi's Island 2 for the DS.

GAMEBOY COLOR! (1990) on 1/17/2008 4:18 PM · Permalink · Report

Oh by the way, is Total Anihilation 1 2D or 3D?

St. Martyne (3648) on 1/17/2008 4:35 PM · Permalink · Report

3D

St. Martyne (3648) on 1/17/2008 4:35 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

Welcome, it's about time!

the decision of a game's dimension will only be made from a design standpoint of view

So, what do you think this "design standpoint" that warrants a 2D is? Personally, I believe that every genre can benefit from the inclusion of 3D in some way. The only field of usage 2D has now, is in doing something, which is impossible to do in 3D. Countless number of indie games is a good example.

For example, I don't think that there is technology capable of relaying Gish or Loco Roco mechanics into 3D, but when there will be one, I would see no reason to stick to 2D whatsoever. Also I think it would have been impossible to achieve the artistic design of, say, Chalk, in 3D, but I can imagine such game to be possible in the future.

quite some games have been ruined just because they were unnecessarily "puffed up" to 3D.

I wonder which are those games? The only games I know could have easily benefited from 3D, if done properly in the first place.

And yeah, Earthworm Jim is 2D.

speaks in it-is-not-fun-anymore voice I was referring to the third part of the series as an example of a 3D game taking non-realistic approach.

worldwideweird (29) on 1/17/2008 5:02 PM · Permalink · Report

Thanks for your welcome, St_Martyne!

Well, for starters, I think that 2D can be an extremely effective "distancing" factor, creating a barrier between the player and the on-screen action. While most 3D games try to be in some way or another "immersive" in that they make the player get completely engulfed in their virtual environments, 2D can very well be used in a "Brecht"-like way to address the player immediately as a PLAYER, and as being "outside" of the game. Of course, this can also be done in a 3D game, but 2D just helps in stressing that difference between "game world" and our photo-realistic 3D "real world", and can largely heighten the sense of a game's artificiality (after all, 2D is but a series of animated paintings) which is not always a bad thing.

This has nothing to do with genre, it has to do with whether or not the player should be allowed to really get into the game world (more a 3D approach) or stay noticeably outside (more a 2D approach, be it birds-eye view or side-scrolling). Remember the fun to be had when LucasArts' characters immediately addressed the player and talked about the game THEY were in (aka "You [the player] sure think this is funny, right? After all, YOU don't have to do this...")? I think this kind of effect works better in 2D, just because the guy who's talking to you from inside the screen is FLAT, and lives in his own, FLAT world.

Don't get me wrong, I love 3D, I love the concept of immersion and most of my favourite games are 3D, however, I don't believe that any approach capable of producing such interesting "theatrical" effects should be bluntly abandoned.

St. Martyne (3648) on 1/17/2008 5:32 PM · Permalink · Report

That's interesting. But I don't think "breaking the fourth wall" effect is limited to 2D, once again, 3D is not necessarily an immersive, first-person kind of experience, it is much more flexible, even to the point of being plain 2D, Rayman 3 featured a bonus 2D level executed in 3D, used as tribute to the first installment of this series. And it even used the same sprites!

These purely "theatrical" effects you're describing: staying outside of the gameworld, achieving a certain videogamish feel of the whole thing is perfectly possible in 3D as well. Remember, in theater, those are still 3D people and props performing in front of you.

But your post reminded me about an idea for coll topic I had! Thank you.

worldwideweird (29) on 1/17/2008 5:53 PM · Permalink · Report

You're right, creating distance between game and player is perfectly possible with 3D as well, I'm just saying that this is one notion where 2D can be used in a perfectly meaningful way and MIGHT be preferred over 3D, since the distancing effect is so immediate (after all, the game's "flatness" will be noted a second after you started it).

I'd like to have a 2D game which actually fools around with its own "flatness". For instance, a world full of 2D people doomed to play 3D-games because their computers' hardware is still too much in its infancy and thus not really capable of mimicking their own world.

Remember that button in Monkey Island 3 where you were supposed to turn its "3D acceleration" on? Are there more 2D games which actually addressed their "flatness"? I think Sam & Max did it somewhere...

worldwideweird (29) on 1/17/2008 6:00 PM · Permalink · Report

By the way, "King of Dragon Pass" comes to mind as a rather recently created (er...sort of ten years ago, I guess, but 3D was already the norm back then) totally 2D game which even lacks ANY animation. It's just a long series of paintings, really, but they beautifully represent the "historical" feel of the game. Just an example where, to my opinion, 3D wouldn't have managed to get the same notion across so elegantly.

St. Martyne (3648) on 1/17/2008 6:09 PM · Permalink · Report

Yes, I know of it. Those paintings are very lovely, but, theoretically, it is possible to recreate the same feel and air of this game in 3D.

Of course, that would have required much more effort to do and maybe was way out of the field of expertise the artists of this game had. And if truth it wouldn't be worth it, if it only substituted the pics with their 3D counterparts.

But I would have wanted to take a stroll around a 3D representation of my village, watch the parties I have sent on a nicely modeled 3D map, and a number of things which could've helped to flesh out the game more. And you don't even need to remove those stories with 2D pictures from it. 3D could've helped this game in other matters.

Игги Друге (46653) on 1/17/2008 8:58 PM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start St_Martyne wrote--]Yes, I know of it. Those paintings are very lovely, but, theoretically, it is possible to recreate the same feel and air of this game in 3D. [/Q --end St_Martyne wrote--] Going by your reasoning, not only can all paintings be reproduced as sculptures, they even should!

St. Martyne (3648) on 1/17/2008 9:09 PM · Permalink · Report

By saying "theoretically possible" I am most certainly not implying that. Read further, I'm even questioning the need for this to be done.

And then I proceed in saying that if additional 3D elements were introduced in this game, it would have improved it, without the need to let go of it's beautiful art, mind you.

mobiusclimber (235) on 1/17/2008 6:10 PM · Permalink · Report

i think i gave several examples of 2D games that don't benefit and probably never WILL benefit from being in 3D. but besides the thought of whether or not the gameplay can even accomodate 3D, there's the question of should it. just b/c you CAN do something doesn't mean you should. i don't think run and gun games like metal slug or platformers like sonic and mario should be exclusively 3D in that it changes the core gameplay into something else. a foray or two into 3D isn't bad, as i stated i enjoyed sonic adventure on the dreamcast and i'm sure mario 64 was as great a game as everyone says it was, but from what i've played of that one and from having played sonic adventure and several other 2D franchises turned into 3D i can tell you right now that the gameplay feels vastly different, and usually not for the better.

can you imagine a 3D version of vib ribbon? would there even be a point?

at the end of the day graphics do not make the game. gameplay does. everything needs to serve gameplay in the end, that's what makes a game fun. (i know i'm being simplistic here, but while other factors serve to increase enjoyment, gameplay is the core of what a game is.) so if 3D doesn't properly serve the gameplay then it needs to go. if i'm having fun w/ a game, i won't miss 3D.

but just like i can't imagine an fps in 3D there are certain games that shouldn't be in 2D. it isn't a "pick one or the other" it's a "pick the one that suits what kind of game you're making." i think we went thru a period where developers where blindly shoving every game into 3D whether the gameplay could handle it or not. i think we've finally come out on the other end of that tho. i'd like to think most developers are no longer constrained to only produce games in 3D. but maybe i'm just being optomistic, or maybe it's just handhelds that are allowed to have 2D games, i dunno.

worldwideweird (29) on 1/17/2008 6:41 PM · Permalink · Report

To St_Martyne:

The problem is none of us will ever know what could have been LOST from the game if one had made it in 3D. It's always easier to say what one would've liked to have added, but it's harder to predict if the overall feel (said mythological, "ancient" feel) would have been the same. After all, isn't the sheer focus on ONE way of representation which makes "King of Dragon Pass" so unique?

To moebiusclimber:

I concur with your statements, sadly, I don't really feel any 2D surge going on in gaming at the moment, nor do I feel that designers are in some way or other more creatively "free" today than they were in the old days, where all they needed to make a game was a PC and enough pasta. I'm not saying it's getting worse, I just don't see much of an improvement in that department going on.

Handhelds may be different, but then I don't know anything about those.

mobiusclimber (235) on 1/17/2008 7:09 PM · Permalink · Report

i mentioned that b/c there seem to be a lot of 2D games on handhelds, including new iterations in the sonic series, the castlevania series, etc etc. (as well as non-franchise titles like, as was mentioned by st. martyne, loco roco.) i seem to remember some new console 2D games but i can't think of them now for the life of me.

DreinIX (10446) on 1/17/2008 7:08 PM · Permalink · Report

Now that the technology allows it way more than then wouldn't it be constricting for the developers to change back to 2D? Since you mentioned Mario, isn't that also an example of a successful transition from 2D to 3D? So why go back to 2D? After all those who want to play 2D Mario games may still consider handhelds or the older Mario games in NES and SNES. To me if developers focus even a little in making 2D games now it will be like when having bought a playstation2, expecting to see more realistic worlds (in rpgs) with the new capabilities of the console and with a surprise on my face realize that at least half of them or more followed the cel shaded path.

GAMEBOY COLOR! (1990) on 1/17/2008 7:41 PM · Permalink · Report

I'm sure developers want to do 2D games. Even in 1997 games like Abe's Oddesy looked comepletely different from the previous generation of 2D games. But most publishers aren't going to go along with it because it probally won't make as much money unless it's on a handheld. And console manufacturers, like Sony, are known for not liking 2D games all that much on their system. There are some excellent 2D games on Sony consoles (like Symphony of the Night), but I don't think the companies that own game developement houses get why people still like 2D. Unless it's a independent developer. But I hope all that changes eventually.

worldwideweird (29) on 1/17/2008 8:25 PM · Permalink · Report

I wouldn't speak of "going back" to 2D. Personally, I'm quite happy with the fact that MOST games are presently 3D games, since I tend to like them most. However, I would also love to see some real creative freedom handed over to the designers in allowing them to prefer 2D over 3D if they thought a certain game would work better with it. And, as a number of people have mentioned around here, for several reasons a number of them might.

I concur with DANIEL HAWKS ! that it's mostly the reality of the market which makes every company focus on 3D nowadays. It should be noted, though, that all the technically achieved "better looks" of a game will not prohibit it from falling into oblivion as soon as an even more modern technology pops up. A game which has simply well composed, pleasantly coloured, thoughtfully designed or in some way meaningful graphics, however, might become a classic which will look good FOREVER. Just compare Dune 2 with Dune 2000: it's funny just how much BETTER Dune 2 looks, even if it's technically inferior. It's simpler (but brighter) colours are just more pleasing to the eyes (well, at least to mine). Sadly, companies usually have to work on a ridiculously short term basis...

And yes, Daniel, I think that strategy games can well be made in 2D, too. There is just more focus in a strategy game where you can't fool around with the angles, it (can) give the player more more time to actually concentrate on the game itself. Also, I think the omniscient, "god-like" viewpoint can make a lot of sense in that genre. If, for instance, one could zoom in and see detailed facial expressions plus all sorts of 22''-sized gore in, say, a hexagonal WW2 game, the whole notion of the game would drastically change from being more or less chess-like to something one might not even want to partake in.

Once again, I don't want a leap backwards in gaming history, I'd just hate to see the 2D door shut tight and locked, that's all.

Pseudo_Intellectual (66362) on 1/18/2008 1:50 AM · Permalink · Report

a classic which will look good FOREVER. Just compare Dune 2 with Dune 2000: it's funny just how much BETTER Dune 2 looks, even if it's technically inferior. It's simpler (but brighter) colours are just more pleasing to the eyes

a 3D model is likely to be designed first to be plausible as a real, functioning object, and second to have been streamlined down to as few polys as possible for rendering purposes, which always abstracts and deforms things a bit. A 2D sprite, on the other hand, is often likely to be designed first for maximal visual impact and then perhaps even anti-aliased by hand for maximal contrast and visibility on the screen. But it's a labour-intensive process. When a 2D artist is done with a sprite, you have a great picture of an object from one angle; in the same time, maybe, a modeler and a texture artist in tandem can yield one complete object that can be viewed from an infinite amount of angles.

Pseudo_Intellectual (66362) on 1/18/2008 1:44 AM · Permalink · Report

Since you mentioned Mario, isn't that also an example of a successful transition from 2D to 3D? So why go back to 2D?

I dunno, I thought there was a lot of excitement about New Super Mario Bros. for the DS And they seem to be regularly exploring the 2D side of things in the Paper Mario side-story 8) Turns out that as many advances as the 3D Mario games have made, some still miss elements from the 2D games left behind.

Super Smash Bros. is a good example of 3D technology being used to reinforce fundamentally 2D gameplay. (As a result, it probably took ten times as many people to make as your standard 2D beat-em-up would... maybe a hundred times as many people as Kart Fighter, which is essentially the same game 8)

DreinIX (10446) on 1/18/2008 3:16 AM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Pseudo_Intellectual wrote--]Since you mentioned Mario, isn't that also an example of a successful transition from 2D to 3D? So why go back to 2D?

I dunno, I thought there was a lot of excitement about New Super Mario Bros. for the DS And they seem to be regularly exploring the 2D side of things in the Paper Mario side-story 8) Turns out that as many advances as the 3D Mario games have made, some still miss elements from the 2D games left behind. [/Q --end Pseudo_Intellectual wrote--] Yeah, but New Super Mario Bros is for a handheld. I don't know if DS is capable for 3D graphics -if it's not, of course it doesn't mean that they made the game 2D because they couldn't do otherwise- but it could be a possibility. If Paper Mario and Mario Party were 3D they wouldn't work. If there are other reasons for making them 2D I don't know them and can't think of any. Basically when I said why go back to 2D I meant Mario games such as Super Mario 64 and Super Mario Galaxy. With 2D games such as New Super Mario Bros and Paper Mario I don't think that this was a step back. But I would think that if a platform Mario like the ones I mentioned was made in 2D. Despite of the game being good or not. I mean what's the point of buying a next gen console if games don't push forward? At least in the graphics department, because you never know about the rest.

Pseudo_Intellectual (66362) on 1/18/2008 7:23 AM · Permalink · Report

New Super Mario Bros is for a handheld

I may be overlooking where this is a relevant distinction.

I don't know if DS is capable for 3D graphics

3D enough for me...

when I said why go back to 2D I meant Mario games such as Super Mario 64 and Super Mario Galaxy

If you want people to make cogent replies, you need to actually say what you mean 8)

But I would think that if a platform Mario like the ones I mentioned was made in 2D. Despite of the game being good or not.

You never finished. This line of thought.

what's the point of buying a next gen console if games don't push forward? At least in the graphics department

It turns out that if I want to watch a movie, I'll rent a movie, and if I want to experience breathtakingly real physics simulations, I'll go outside and drop a rock into a puddle. If I want to have fun playing games, whether or not I'm pushing the field of computer graphics forward is irrelevant to me. (Deep down, I have some suspicion that effort put into advancing graphics -- especially now that we can render pretty much anything imaginable on screen -- is done at the expense of entertaining gameplay, that it's a kind of hollow distraction. It's another case of relying on screenshots to sell the game since the gameplay won't... except now instead of shots, we get videos. Is it any fun? "It can render two million polygons with moving light sources on textures up to a gigabite in size!" That's very interesting, but it doesn't answer my question...)

And maybe this is why I've never owned a next-gen (huh, or even last-gen) console 8)

DJP Mom (11333) on 1/18/2008 1:04 PM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Pseudo_Intellectual wrote--] It turns out that if I want to watch a movie, I'll rent a movie, and if I want to experience breathtakingly real physics simulations, I'll go outside and drop a rock into a puddle. [/Q --end Pseudo_Intellectual wrote--] This is a gem of a line!

Pseudo_Intellectual (66362) on 1/18/2008 2:29 PM · Permalink · Report

I must have said it a half-dozen times before in different forms here in these forums. Of course, I'm someone who plays single-developer amateur homebrew text adventure games, so I'm skeptical about /any/ graphics 8) (curiously, the functional toilet is renowned as an interactive fiction simulation problem also 8)

DreinIX (10446) on 1/18/2008 11:58 PM · Permalink · Report

If you want people to make cogent replies, you need to actually say what you mean 8)

I'll give it a try.(maybe next time)

New Super Mario Bros is for a handheld
I may be overlooking where this is a relevant distinction.
I don't know if DS is capable for 3D graphics
3D enough for me...

If DS wasn't capable of 3D then New Super Mario Bros would have been made in 2D because the developers couldn't do otherwise. Since DS is capable of 3D graphics that is not the case and they did it in 2D for other reasons.

But I would think that if a platform Mario like the ones I mentioned was made in 2D. Despite of the game being good or not.
You never finished. This line of thought.

Actually I did but not in a successful way. I'll rewrite it.
With 2D games such as New Super Mario Bros and Paper Mario I don't think that this was a step back. But I would think that it would be a step back if a platform Mario like the ones I mentioned was made in 2D. Despite of the game being good or not.
Was that better?

Pseudo_Intellectual (66362) on 1/19/2008 12:40 AM · Permalink · Report

Since DS is capable of 3D graphics that is not the case and they did it in 2D for other reasons.

Yes: a throwback to a disappearing genre considered commercially unviable but still fondly remembered (especially vis a vis the Mario franchise, which in some sense entrenched the platformer genre to all and sundry for years.) But in what way is this any less of a step back?

But I would think that it would be a step back if a platform Mario like the ones I mentioned was made in 2D.

Solely because it would fail to take advantage of the new hardware options offered? My recollection is that modern Mario console games include fixed-camera bonus rounds that are for all intents and purposes 2D, playing more like SkyRoads than Tomb Raider. Are these games regressing every time a Mario-as-pachinko side-level comes up?

Daniel Saner (3503) on 1/17/2008 8:02 PM · Permalink · Report

Okay, I agree with a lot of stuff you people mentioned up there.
St. Martyne I agree that there are also many 2D games that are not instantly recognizable, but those that you listed are game series - it's obvious that following episodes of the same game use the graphic style of their predecessors. I think the bottomline is that it is easier for developers to create characteristic visuals in 2D than in 3D. Whether they want to or not is another decision. And I agree that there are more 3D games with their own style today, which is probably because of the advances in technology and experience that we have gathered over the recent years.
I wouldn't compare 2D/3D with black-and-white/color in movies. Rather classic-cartoon/CGI-cartoon. CGI cartoons are that relatively new thing and seem to be the current "hip" thing to do, and a lot of great stuff has been and can be done with it (see upcoming Wall-E for example.) But there just are things you shouldn't do as a 3D cartoon JUST because you CAN. I don't want to imagine a 3D-Bugs Bunny or whatever.

St. Martyne, you say that every game could profit from 3D in some way. I disagree. The reasons you mentioned are all related to visuals and technology. But I am not worried about 2D games looking worse in 3D - what I was trying to say before is that 2D or 3D is more than a graphics decision, it is a gameplay one. It's that I disagree with the current mentality that everything has to be made 3D just because you can. What I've seen in my experience is that making a 2D game a 3D game does not only change its visuals and style. It deeply changes gameplay, becuase you now have to deal with one more dimension and therefore can devote less attention to other aspects of the game. You will be busy adjusting camera angels, orienting yourself, etc. in a very different manner than in a 2D game. And I often had the impression when playing a 3D game that the developers actually wanted to make a 2D game, but weren't allowed to.
As an example, also for the "photorealism" discussion: Racing simulation games for example naturally try to achieve photo-realism. And that makes perfect sense because they want to make you feel like YOU were sitting in that racecar. That also means that many of those games look similar graphically, and there's no problem with that. Other example: The Settlers or RollerCoaster Tycoon. These are games I would call an example of "unnecessarily puffed up to 3D". In RCT3 I have to adjust camera angles which I don't want to do in a business simulation, I miss the classic cleanliness and style of a Sawyer tycoon game, and I have to look at 3D people that I find a lot uglier than their sprite predecessors :) but worst of all, I can't play it on my 2-year-old notebook because it is too weak. Too weak for a business simulation! The result is that I still play RCT and RCT2 every now and then, but RCT3 is putting on dust in a shelf. If I want a business simulation, I play one. If I want a pretty 3D park to walk around in, I'll download a screensaver.

I'd like to repeat that I do not dislike 3D graphics in any way. I just checked, and my MG-list of all-time favourite games has 15 3D-games and 3 2D-games in it. The only thing I am criticising is 3D-games that inevitable make me think "Wow, this could have been so much more fun had it been done in 2D."

mobiusclimber (235) on 1/17/2008 8:53 PM · Permalink · Report

^ yes thank you, exactly.

and just to clarify something i'd said, when i mentioned moving mario into 3D, it was an example of the fact that it's possible to make some 2D games in 3D and have a great game turn out. BUT the gameplay and feel of the game changes when you do that. no one would confuse the 3D game w/ the 2D one based solely on the gameplay. they're really two different beasts entirely. and that's fine if you want the game series to go in a new direction. but if you want it to feel like it used to (or you're working on creating a game that plays like old school 2D games) then you need to do it in 2D. the fact that 3D mario is fun doesn't change the fact that it's almost a totally different feeling when playing it. with certain games, it's just not possible to pull them into 3D and have them play the same way. it doesn't work.

St. Martyne (3648) on 1/17/2008 9:10 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

Obviously, this is not a discussion of whether or not 3D is preferable to 2D, or vice versa. Or which one is better. We're talking about possibilities each technique holds in making games. And I'm arguing that 3D do what 2Don't. And it doesn't work the other way around.

My position is that if you can't do 3D (animations, lighting, modeling) properly, do it in 2D. If you can't do it in 2D, don't do it at all.The better portion of my all-time favourite games are 2D, but it's not because they were 2D, but due to the artistic vision behind them, it's much more important than any type of technological preference. Hell, I am a big fan of interactive fiction, with hardly any dimension, so where does that put me now?

Now, let's talk about the gameplay issues. Let's leave current mentality and what is "hip" at bay, I'm not even remotely interested in what publishers are discussing, and I gladly buy any 2D game, if I see some talent and effort behind it. But I am sure that any 2D game would have benefited from inclusion of properly made 3D. For a strategy game that includes (among other things ) comfortable camera control. If it was poorly done in RCT3, it doesn't mean it can't be done period. And come on, isn't it great to take a ride on your own roller-coaster? It might not be necessary for the gameplay of this particular game, but 3D is certainly not in position to break anything, if handled properly. "Classic cleanliness and style" may be preserved as well, and, excuse me, but the fact that you have a poor computer is certainly not a reason for the games to stop evolving.

So I am not arguing if a certain existing 3D game is better than the one in 2D, I am saying that the potential 3D holds for the game designer far exceeds that one of 2D. Whether or not that potential will be realized depends on the the developer. And as I said, anybody can take a safer route, like new Sam & Max, Total Annihilation, Duke Nukem: Manhattan Project, God Of War. In which 3D serves only as a graphic enhancement without affecting gameplay, so you don't have to worry about either camera or guiding yourself in additional dimension, but have a handful of resolutions to pick from and the designers have a wider array of graphical effects to incorporate in fleshing out the game.

to mobius: I can say that I consider both original Sonic and Sonic Heroes (the only 3D incarnation I played) to be rather worthless games, so from point of view, I certainly do not see the way 3D strangled the already lacking gameplay of this particular franchise. I can say the same thing about Castlevania.

Another difference is that I don't want everything to serve gameplay, so that I could have simple fun. I want everything, including gameplay, to serve a function of conveying a certain idea, conceived by the game's author. It's safe to say that, we look for different things in games, so you can just disregard everything I'm saying.

Phew.. this has become a rather heated discussion. But I am staying, if at least one person will. Bring it on.

worldwideweird (29) on 1/17/2008 9:28 PM · Permalink · Report

I don't think this discussion to be heated at all, I think it's really just serious - which I find pretty interesting.

I think it's not only important for designers to think about how much freedom a player is supposed to have in a game, I think that restraining the player's freedom can be equally important - and linked to game design, gameplay, content etc. etc.

I know that it's always fun to go on your own "roller-coaster ride" in a freely explorable 3D environment, but for some games, even the urge to do that has to be eliminated from the start - the "roller-coaster" (i.e. fooling around with angles in a strategy game) is only fun for a certain amount of time whereas the game itself should be "serious", i.e. lasting fun and should perhaps concentrate on what it's best at doing (main gameplay) and not second-best (ability to play around and have temporary fun with different things).

Naturally, there are many games which work perfectly fine with the opposite approach, but for SOME games it might be advisable to get more focused by NOT letting the player change perspective etc.

It's the old toilet-problem. It's always fun to be able to fool around with toilets in games, and, hands down, whenever we see one in a game we try the whole program of what's possible - flush them, pee (like in DN3D), whatever. But if your going for SERIOUSNESS this in itself harmless "temporary fool-around toy" can take away a lot of focus. For instance, I was very glad that "System Shock" didn't even bother to include any - it seemed more unrealistic all right, but also more serious.

2D can often be a great method of keeping the player "at the hands" of the designers, again, this doesn't mean we should generally switch back to 2D - but we should gladly resort to 2D if it's more effective in delivering a game's essence.

Daniel Saner (3503) on 1/17/2008 10:34 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

Yes, 3D gives developers a lot more possibilities, but it also greatly increases the time and work you have to invest in a game, the expertise you need to make it work well (e.g. physics), you need more/different people with other knowledge (modeling) etc. Dare I say making a 3D game work well and be fun is harder than achieving the same for a 2D game? According to what 2D games and what 3D games I have played, I would have to say so. I think it's much easier to mess up a 3D game.

Yes, some of the things you can do in RCT3 are fun. But they wear off quickly, because they are not part of the actual game. In my opinion they put too much work into things like that, while leaving the game itself hard to control and less enjoyable then previous parts. Hell, I like childish playing around stuff. I spent hours creating custom wrestlers in WWE Smackdown games just because it was so fun to play around with the numerous options, even if they're irrelevant to the gameplay. But when the actual game suffers from such elements, I lose interest.

If I want a simulated amusement park, I use No Limits Fairground. But RCT was about being a business simulation. Of course you can say that the franchise is just evolving, and moving away from my personal taste. But if that was the direction all of the future games were heading, if every concept needed to be bloated up with such demonstration and eye-candy and benchmark elements, giving me exactly the same in terms of the actual game, but not running on systems older than 1 year and sucking my notebook battery empty in half an hour, then I guess those developers would need to count me out.

I'd like to point out again that I enjoy really intricate, huge 3D games. And I also have no problem with games doing what I mentioned above, putting a lot of weight on beauty and eye-candy. What I have a problem with is that some developers think that this is the only way to go today.

Игги Друге (46653) on 1/17/2008 10:44 PM · Permalink · Report

Obviously, this is not a discussion of whether or not 3D is preferable to 2D, or vice versa. Or which one is better. We're talking about possibilities each technique holds in making games. And I'm arguing that 3D do what 2Don't. And it doesn't work the other way around.

My position is that if you can't do 3D (animations, lighting, modeling) properly, do it in 2D.

If that's the case, almost no games should be done in 3D. And you're still forgetting that 3D puts much, if not the majority, of the visual works in the hands of number-crunching programmers.

Look at PC gamers today. When they talk about graphics, they talk about the megaflops of their GPUs, about the numbers of polygons, the mipmapping and bumpmapping, the FPS rate and the particle physics, the lensflares and the ragdoll physics. How much of that is artistic work, how much is thought out by an artist?

Face it, game graphicians are now a marginalised breed, just like the musicians. Their function is to fill out a landscape created by a 3D engine, dictated by a 3D engine.

Now, let's talk about the gameplay issues. Let's leave current mentality and what is "hip" at bay, I'm not even remotely interested in what publishers are discussing, and I gladly buy any 2D game, if I see some talent and effort behind it. But I am sure that any 2D game would have benefited from inclusion of properly made 3D. For a strategy game that includes (among other things ) comfortable camera control.

Does Civilization 2 have camera control? No, only if you count the zoom function and the rotate function working in 90° steps. Does it need camera control? No, because all that there is to see can already be seen from the isometric view.

"Classic cleanliness and style" may be preserved as well, and, excuse me, but the fact that you have a poor computer is certainly not a reason for the games to stop evolving.

That something may be preserved doesn't mean that it is easy, or that it is worth the extra trouble. Streetfighter II was ported to the ZX Spectrum. For what good?

So I am not arguing if a certain existing 3D game is better than the one in 2D, I am saying that the potential 3D holds for the game designer far exceeds that one of 2D.

That is a much too simple argument. You could say that Dolby surround holds much more potential for a musician than plain stereo, but many musicians wouldn't agree with you. It can just as easily be an extra burden. 3D has been possible for almost as long as 2D in games. Flight simulators have always been in 3D, whereas platformers have traditionally been in 2D. You can ask the game designers about their reasons for that.

Or how would you explain that Tetris is much more popular than Welltris? Welltris has a lot more potential than plain old Tetris.

Whether or not that potential will be realized depends on the the developer. And as I said, anybody can take a safer route, like new Sam & Max, Total Annihilation, Duke Nukem: Manhattan Project, God Of War. In which 3D serves only as a graphic enhancement without affecting gameplay, so you don't have to worry about either camera or guiding yourself in additional dimension, but have a handful of resolutions to pick from and the designers have a wider array of graphical effects to incorporate in fleshing out the game.

There is no such thing as a wider array of graphical effects to incorporate in a 3D engine. A typical 2D game has a control over every pixel of the screen which enables not only much of the typical 3D repertoire, but also so many effects that 3D can't do. The only effects that a 2D game wouldn't be able to incorporate would be those inherent in the addition of a third dimension.

One of the pitfalls of 3D is that the creative team no longer have the control over the final result. Not only can the gamer choose the resolution, he can even choose the perspective at will. This is just like the ultimate kind of interactive TV – what is a director to do if he no longer can enforce his vision? What is a writer to do if he no longer can write the conclusion to his story?

The freedom of perspective limits 3D in a way which is not apparent to someone who is not used to thinking outside of the 3D box: Some things don't have a backside, and they should not. They may not even have a side. Think about comics. As soon as an artist steps away from a realistic style, he has created a world of his own populated by characters drawn in his own style. He may never have thought of his characters as 3-dimensional, and they will never be drawn out of any other perspectives than 0°, 20° and 90°. And as a reader, you may never have thought of this, because these are the perspectives at which the character looks "natural".

Look at Japanese manga. You will notice that there are angles from which the characters will never be drawn. But if you buy a figurine of a comic character, you may notice that it looks very odd, not at all like the character in the comics. That's because the designer of the doll had to fill in what was missing in the original drawings to make a 3-dimensional figurine. In a way, the sculptor has had to force together a character which looks different at different angles. Yes, a drawing of something may look different at different angles, in order to emphasize what is the "feeling" of that perspective. And some angles are left out because they can't convey that object's qualities, or because there is no satisfying way to render it at all angles. Have you noticed that some comic characters have longer arms when they bend their arms, because they would otherwise look too short? That's because there is a psychological side to our perception of things, which can't as easily be conveyed by a virtual camera moving freely in an environment which we are not accustomed to.

to mobius: I can say that I consider both original Sonic and Sonic Heroes (the only 3D incarnation I played) to be rather worthless games, so from point of view, I certainly do not see the way 3D strangled the already lacking gameplay of this particular franchise. I can say the same thing about Castlevania.

But you do realise that this makes your standpoint harder to defend, don't you? If you say that some of the best and most influential platform games don't have gameplay, how are we to discuss anything?

Another difference is that I don't want everything to serve gameplay, so that I could have simple fun. I want everything, including gameplay, to serve a function of conveying a certain idea, conceived by the game's author. It's safe to say that, we look for different things in games, so you can just disregard everything I'm saying.

This doesn't go along with what you said earlier about the primate of 3-dimensionality at all.

mobiusclimber (235) on 1/18/2008 12:03 AM · Permalink · Report

well, st. martyne, you might be right that you and i look for different things in games and maybe you'll never see my point of view. perhaps a game has to have a huge amount of exploration for you to enjoy it. i don't know. generally speaking, 2D games that need to be 2D are all very restrictive. you follow a certain path, tho it might branch off in a few directions and maybe you might have to do some back tracking, but it's still a set path or paths, you only get one view-point and it pretty much locks you in. because of this, the control is a lot tighter than in games of this sort that have been done in 3D. if you're running and gunning you probably need a targetting system that ends up being more cumbersome than not, if you're playing a platformer you always have to be careful not just of making it over a gap but in making sure you're not too far to one side or the other, all the while fighting against a camera system that wants to show off its fancy lens flare rather than show you where you need to stand in order to make that jump w/o plummeting to your death. i'm sorry that you can't at least appreciate the classic mario, sonic, castlevania, metroid, etc etc old school platformers, but that seems to be more of a defect of yours than anything else. i've never been good at them and i mostly don't like them because of this, but i can certainly see their charm. (sonic and kirby are my main two games out of this genre b/c while they're difficult, they're not impossible and not from the get go.) the fact is no 3D iteration of this kind of gameplay is going to be nearly as much fun as these simply b/c 3D cannot recreate 2D gaming. it's impossible by its very nature. yes you can have tunnel-style 3D like in crash bandicoot, but adding 3D here doesn't actually add anything. it might as well have been in 2D (the graphics would have looked better for one thing!). and if you have to constantly stop what you're doing to adjust the camera angle... shit like that gets old really quick, especially when there's no need for it.

St. Martyne (3648) on 1/18/2008 10:15 PM · Permalink · Report

I would be glad to discuss all those games with you, but let's save it for another time, Ok?

PS. And, I don't have a defect. ;-)

worldwideweird (29) on 1/18/2008 12:54 AM · Permalink · Report

You had some good arguments there. I especially agree on the point that the additional manpower usually put into the creation of another dimension might actually cost time, talent and money which could probably serve certain games (but NOT all, or most, or anything) more had it been invested into more "creative" matters such as planning, writing, designing etc.

However, I disagree on the notion that 3D games aren't "directed" and that the player is actually taking over the creator's "control". There are still your most likely walkways, there are still points which you can't pass, there are still points which you're bound to pass...there's an endless list of restrictions which still apply. Also one has to take into account the "natural way" the human eye reacts to certain views. If the player is presented with a tree so big that he only sees its roots he will certainly look up to see the rest of it and bang! there goes another image of which the creators will know quite well that it won't be missed.

It's all about a basic decision one has to make when creating any game: how much freedom will be allowed to create the illusion that the player is discovering all this "for him/herself" and "just now" vs. how much restriction will be necessary to still be able to "lead" the player and not put one's own creative ropes out of hands - thus losing the ability to remain "dramatic".

As I already said, I think 2D is, among other things, simply a completely legitimate way of creating restriction, whereas 3D is an equally legitimate way of creating a certain amount of freedom (if it's done right).

St. Martyne (3648) on 1/18/2008 10:13 PM · Permalink · Report

Look at PC gamers today. When they talk about graphics, they talk about the megaflops of their GPUs, about the numbers of polygons, the mipmapping and bumpmapping, the FPS rate and the particle physics, the lensflares and the ragdoll physics. How much of that is artistic work, how much is thought out by an artist?

You're right. That is the most unfortunate to see this happening, but it's not an inherited fault of 3D. 3D artists should concern themselves with the technical aspect but only as a painter is concerned with his brushes and paints, and the filmmaker with the innards of his camera.

Each artistic endeavor has a more menial, more technical side to it, it's nothing to be ashamed of. Still, everyone knows that a good camera won't make a good photographer out of you, and that a good engine won't make your game artistically ambitious by default.

Does Civilization 2 have camera control? No, only if you count the zoom function and the rotate function working in 90° steps. Does it need camera control? No, because all that there is to see can already be seen from the isometric view.

Really? Well, excuse me, for preferring a crisp and clear picture rendered by 3D engine of Civilazation 4 to the blurry mess which is Civilization 2. And those sprites do not convey the majesty of my Wonders on full scale. Why would I care about that? Well, because playing Civ is taking a role as a master of nations, and visuals should contribute a lot to this feel.

I don't believe you played a relatively new PC RTS game, called Company Of Heroes, this game features state-of-the-art visuals. And they are there not only for eye-candy, but for much more. If you take a good zoom on one of your units, you won't see a unit anymore, you'll see a living breathing person, frightened to his death. Could such effect be possible in 2D? I sincerely doubt it. Talk about benefits.

That something may be preserved doesn't mean that it is easy, or that it is worth the extra trouble. Streetfighter II was ported to the ZX Spectrum. For what good?

That's true. Given the aim of a certain project, the number of people comprising a certain team behind it, sometimes, benefits riped by introducing 3D into a game would not be worth it (casual games). But it's not like 3D is going to hurt the game.

That is a much too simple argument. You could say that Dolby surround holds much more potential for a musician than plain stereo, but many musicians wouldn't agree with you.

I won't say that, just as I won't say that every artist (painter) should switch to 3DS Max and Maya from this day onward. But you forget that Surround sound has become a norm in film making. So should 3D in video games. That much is correct.

3D has been possible for almost as long as 2D in games. Flight simulators have always been in 3D, whereas platformers have traditionally been in 2D. You can ask the game designers about their reasons for that.

That's a good one. So, you're asking why 3D was present in the games, which had their basic premise based on the notion of free movement in 3D space, and absent in games which relied on striking visuals aimed for kids, 3D couldn't provide for some time (visuals, not kids)? Care to answer yourself?

And I bet you're aware that when 3D has advanced enough, all the platforms gladly changed their dimensional residence.

Or how would you explain that Tetris is much more popular than Welltris? Welltris has a lot more potential than plain old Tetris.

I can't tell. Maybe Tetris is a better game? The inclusion of 3D may be done in different ways, each new one yielding completely different results. Reshaping the pure concept of Tetris, meant that we would have a totally new game, which success is impossible to predict by the success of previous game alone. Personally, I care little for either of those games. I've never been addicted to Tetris, although I hold the the art of Tetris Classic very close to my heart.

A typical 2D game has a control over every pixel of the screen

And what do you think Pixel Shaders do?

One of the pitfalls of 3D is that the creative team no longer have the control over the final result. Not only can the gamer choose the resolution, he can even choose the perspective at will. This is just like the ultimate kind of interactive TV – what is a director to do if he no longer can enforce his vision? What is a writer to do if he no longer can write the conclusion to his story?

Well, that's clearly identify the difference between you and me. You've stated it yourself. I care about things for the sake of which designer abandons a part of his control over his creation, to incorporate a new variable - player. I like when the stories are written in a way to account for my own take on them. But that doesn't even matter, since you're wrong in assuming that 3D automatically makes the artist or designer to abandon his control over the final product.

I believe most of the time you're thinking about FPS, you despise so much. But that's not just it. You can force the perspective if that's your bidding, if you feel that your idea would be conveyed better such way.

It's remarkable - the way your talked about manga and how much a certain perspective and viewing angle can bring to the feeling. But, you know what the problem is? I haven't seen it done in 2D games. The only viewing angles we are seeing are side-scrolling, top-down or isometric. Not much room for creative freedom, eh? Maybe you're talking about cutscenes art, but I don't see what prevents a 3D game to utilize 2D art to the best of its effect. The recent The Witcher had plenty of those Remember Alone in The Dark? You couldn't render cobweb in 3D back in 92, but it didn't stop the developer from doing it in a 3D game, with lots of toying with perspective, viewing angles and so forth.

3D is no action figure or sculpture. It's a recreated environment which you light, shape, animate as much as you will.

Take a look on the most abstract side of this. Three dimensional space is "better" than two dimensional, because it already does incorporate every property of 2D in itself. In its essence 3D is an infinitely multiplied 2D stacked upon each other. So using 3D doesn't prevent from incorporating 2D elements in it,

The leaves on a tree in the newest 3D game are still rendered as sprites, hair too. But it goes even further. Want to have real actors performing in a real-time rendered 3D environment? Here you go. Care to have a classic 2D platformer, but with some superior lighting and 3D touches here and there. No problem.

And I don't think I have to remind you of all the years sprites were used for character-drawing. In Myth you can even mistake them for the real-time rendered 3D.

The moment Nintendo started to fool around with their Super FX2 chip in Super World Mario 2, the moment when a notion of "depth" was added to it was a moment when it stopped being a 2D game. And do you dare to say that it hasn't been beneficial for this game?

3D may do anything 2D does, but not vice versa.

From my point of view 3D is like a color in movies. It has become a norm, however no one prevents a modern movie-maker to make his film in B&W, or maybe switch between those two to convey a certain feeling (although I often fail to see which one). Or maybe even go an extra mile in doing a B&W movie but fooling with colors here and there, like Rodriguez in Sin City.

But you do realise that this makes your standpoint harder to defend, don't you? If you say that some of the best and most influential platform games don't have gameplay, how are we to discuss anything?

Well, somebody said that he doesn't care that much about games at all, and we're still discussing them, aren't we? I am sure we won't be seeing each other eye to eye either, if we were to discuss the influence and impact introduction of the 3Dfx accelerator had on gaming.

And I didn't say that Sonic doesn't have gameplay, I said it was "lacking" as "deficient". And don't forget the context in which I have said that. Sonic's gameplay had never had any appeal to me, so it would be hard for me to comment on how different it has become after transition of the franchise into 3D.

It looks better though. And I mean artistically. Sonic Heroes had some marvelous views of the shorelines and palms and the beaches. And the scale has increased dramatically, giving a better impression of a speed Sonic is capable of. Not that I care about it.

This doesn't go along with what you said earlier about the primate of 3-dimensionality at all.

I've lost you here. How so?

Pseudo_Intellectual (66362) on 1/18/2008 11:00 PM · Permalink · Report

Well, excuse me, for preferring a crisp and clear picture rendered by 3D engine of Civilazation 4 to the blurry mess which is Civilization 2.

At the time, I remember being put off by the distracting complication Civ2's projection made from the elegant simplicity of Civ1's stylised tile-grid display 8)

St. Martyne (3648) on 1/18/2008 11:25 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

Well, Pseudo, I am sure you wouldn't even mind ruling your civilization via text parser.

Pseudo_Intellectual (66362) on 1/19/2008 12:42 AM · Permalink · Report

Guilty as charged 8)

worldwideweird (29) on 1/19/2008 5:54 PM · Permalink · Report

What you said about 3D in games somewhat resembling the use of colour in movies is exactly what I think (and said in an earlier post).

However, you're wrong when you state that filmmakers can easily use B&W, very often the studio will not go along with this, although there often enough ARE totally legitimate reasons for doing it (e.g. stress light/shadows contrasts, give an "aged" impression", give a documentary impression, be generally "darker" in tone...) - whether it's done successfully or not.

That's what I'm saying about 2D. I know that 3D is more advanced, I know that creating 3D graphics is just as artistically controllable as 2D, but there might be reasons to deliberately choose the "less advanced" of 2D.

All in all, whether you're creating a game, or a movie, or whatever: it's always nice to see creative controls in the hands of the creators, not the studios. Are there really games out there where the project leader/lead designer had the right of the final cut, i.e. being able to totally control the game's complete look/content? I'm not saying that creating a game should be a dictatorial process of but one person, just that studios have so much (too much?) of an influence about it - and that MIGHT be one reason 2D isn't used anymore.

Indra was here (20755) on 1/18/2008 3:16 PM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start DANIEL HAWKS ! wrote--]Does anyone play 2D games anymore ? [/Q --end DANIEL HAWKS ! wrote--]

You mean there are games out there that aren't in 2D? gasp

:p

worldwideweird (29) on 1/18/2008 3:45 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

Well, I don't know for sure, but I heard rumors all right...

chirinea (47495) on 1/18/2008 3:57 PM · Permalink · Report

Yeah, like those IF thingies with no dimensions at all...

GAMEBOY COLOR! (1990) on 1/18/2008 4:19 PM · Permalink · Report

My my these post have gotten quite lengthy. But if I may re-state the original question, has anyone RECENTLY played a 2D game ?

chirinea (47495) on 1/18/2008 4:21 PM · Permalink · Report

Yes, I've recently finished Streets of Rage Remake.

GAMEBOY COLOR! (1990) on 1/18/2008 4:31 PM · Permalink · Report

I'm on the verge of finishing Brood War. I'm on the last Terran level, and only need to finish the Zerg missions.

Игги Друге (46653) on 1/18/2008 4:37 PM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start DANIEL HAWKS ! wrote--]My my these post have gotten quite lengthy. But if I may re-state the original question, has anyone RECENTLY played a 2D game ? [/Q --end DANIEL HAWKS ! wrote--] I think D/Generation qualifies as one.

worldwideweird (29) on 1/18/2008 4:40 PM · Permalink · Report

Actually going through Planescape: Torment for the first time. I know, could've had the chance a long time ago...

mobiusclimber (235) on 1/18/2008 5:26 PM · Permalink · Report

yeah, i recently got into kirby's adventure for the nes. i think most of the old games are 2D or only pseudo-3D, and i haven't been playing too many new games lately (except for silent hill origins and popolocrois on the psp).

Unicorn Lynx (181775) on 1/18/2008 5:23 PM · Permalink · Report

Playing Mr. Bones now.

St. Martyne (3648) on 1/18/2008 8:18 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

Plenty. Currently replaying (I rarely do that) Callahan's Crosstime Saloon and loving every bit (and byte) of it. And an occasional casual game too: Dream Chronicles and Firework Extravaganza were pretty enjoyable this week.

I play 2D games all the time.

Brett Weiss on 1/19/2008 1:19 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

I'd love to see a 2D Mario (like Super Mario Bros., not Paper Mario) on the Wii or a 2D Castlevania or Contra on the PS3, but companies seem almost afraid to release such a thing.

http://***/

Sciere (930490) on 1/19/2008 1:22 PM · Permalink · Report

In the past, we've asked you not to mention your blog url in every single message you post on this forum. Can you refrain from doing so?

Pseudo_Intellectual (66362) on 1/19/2008 3:12 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

we're just not a very sig-friendly forum. You want to attract people to your site, you've got to demonstrate enough dazzling wit in your messages to make them go to your profile page in pursuit of more 8)

Depeche Mike (17455) on 1/22/2008 8:09 PM · Permalink · Report

that's quite true, I usually do that after reading some comment.