Live action cut-scenes
Group DescriptionThe technological advancements of CD-ROM media and real-time decompression allowed games in the late 1980s and early 1990s to use full motion video, primarily for cutscenes. In an attempt to make games more film-like, these cutscenes soon went beyond traditional animation or CGI rendering techniques and used traditional live-action film making, with real actors, props and sets. Widespread throughout the 1990s, this style of cinematics has now been all but abandoned, with a few notable exceptions like entries in Electronic Arts' Command & Conquer series.
This group collects games with such live-action elements for the static cut-scenes only. Games that use live action for the interactive gameplay use the game genre Art Style: Live action instead.
- The live-action footage must have been acquired through traditional film making techniques, using video or film cameras shooting at common frame rates like 24, 25 or 30 frames a second. The footage must also be shown within the game at similar film-like frame rates. Thus, games that feature digitized images of actors that are later animated are not to be included (example: Mortal Kombat);
- The games must feature original footage. Sometimes, movie-based games contain scenes from the movie they are licensed from. These games are not to be included unless the footage, while shot during a motion picture shoot, was specifically intended for game usage (example: Enter the Matrix).
- Art Style: Full Motion Video (FMV) (genre)
- Art Style: Live action (genre)
- Art Style: Video backdrop (genre)
|Viewing Page 1 of 17||(items 1-25 of 416)||Next|
Front cover for Spark and the Digital Daydream
Front cover for How to Shoot a Criminal
Front cover for Rhem IV: The Golden Fragments - SE
Front cover for Her Story
Front cover for The Grand Tour Game
Screenshot from Rhem IV: The Golden Fragments - SE
Screenshot from Her Story
Screenshot from Quantum Break
Screenshot from Command & Conquer: Remastered Collection
Game group created by Terok Nor (30365), additional games added to group by Cantillon (35472), PoliticallyCorrupt (2513), Arejarn (6435), Rola (8288), Patrick Bregger (257008), POMAH (62465), piltdown_man (201399), GTramp (68285), Lain Crowley (6784), Tien Thuy Le Nguyen (2233), Plokite_Wolf (45808), Pedro Ferreira (1249), Victor Vance (13247), ChakalMaster (44), Timo Takalo (58), Katie Cadet (10189), firefang9212 (73976), Harmony♡ (20673), Evolyzer (19329), Fet (4), Sciere (711525), Daedolon (5495), Kohler 86 (7958), Alaka (77636), Kabushi (256019), Scaryfun (17977), JudgeDeadd (26822), Parf (7786), Unicorn Lynx (181490), vedder (50937), MAT (221212), PolloDiablo (16876), o0pyromancer0o (211), 雷堂嬢太朗 -raido.jotaro- (60651), Jeanne (76330) and Hoagie (98)
Screenshot from Telling L!es
Screenshot from Telling L!es