DescriptionA fresh approach in the long running Call of Duty franchise with the original developers back behind the wheel, chapter 4 has the player assume the role of a British S.A.S. squad member in various missions over Europe, as well as a U.S. Marine in the Middle East, fighting against an fictive global terrorism driving persona.
Without breaking the traditions of its heritage, Call of Duty 4 is a true military-based FPS, only this time it has the player fight in a fictive setting and in a modern-day world, against modern enemies and ditto weapons. There are various campaign-based missions that enable the player to take the role of two different soldiers, from two different kinds of military enforcement disciplines. As usual, multiplayer is also available with different game modes.
The missions in the single player campaign give various tasks to accomplish and take the player through many twists as the plot unfolds. A large arsenal of weapons is available, offering diverse options to suit different playing styles. For the first time, the game does not run on an id Tech engine, but a proprietary 3D engine based on the id Tech standards, with physics, dynamic lighting, bloom and depth-of-field.
- "COD4" -- Common abbreviation
- "Call of Duty: Modern Warfare - Reflex Edition" -- Wii title
- "Call of Duty: Modern Warfare - Édition Réflexes" -- French Wii title
- "콜 오브 듀티 4: 모던 워페어" -- Korean spelling
Part of the Following Groups
- Anti-Cheat Technology: PunkBuster
- Call of Duty: Modern Warfare series
- Call of Duty series
- Call of Duty universe
- Games referenced in movies
- Middleware: DemonWare
- PlayStation 3 Greatest Hits releases
- Setting: City - Pripyat
- Setting: Future now Past
- Technology: amBX
|Good, but still just shy of being legendary||Windows||D Michael (232)|
|The Best Online Shooter You've Ever Played||PlayStation 3||Tom Cross (31)|
|Skip the political brainwashing and enjoy the spectacle||Windows||MichaelPalin (1420)|
|Different context, but the same war experience||Windows||NeoJ (455)|
|Official XBox Magazine||Xbox 360||Nov 09, 2007||10 out of 10||100|
|TeamXbox||Xbox 360||Nov 05, 2007||9.7 out of 10||97|
|Gamers' Temple, The||Xbox 360||2007||96 out of 100||96|
|TTGamer||Windows||Nov 08, 2007||9.5 out of 10||95|
|Xbox World Australia (XWA)||Xbox 360||Nov 11, 2007||95 out of 100||95|
|VicioJuegos.com||PlayStation 3||Jan 22, 2008||94 out of 100||94|
|Gameswelt||Windows||Nov 16, 2007||91 out of 100||91|
|Game Revolution||PlayStation 3||Nov 13, 2007||A-||91|
|DreamStation.cc||PlayStation 3||Jan 11, 2008||9 out of 10||90|
|Jeuxvideo.com||PlayStation 3||Nov 05, 2005||17 out of 20||85|
|Topic||# Posts||Last Post|
|Saves for CoD4||8||chirinea (44086)
May 10, 2008
|1573 images, o_0||9||MichaelPalin (1420)
Mar 07, 2008
|Veteran anecdotes||4||MichaelPalin (1420)
Feb 14, 2008
1001 Video GamesCall of Duty 4: Modern Warfare appears in the book 1001 Video Games You Must Play Before You Die by General Editor Tony Mott.
DevelopmentInfinity Ward considered over 1,000 names before settling on Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare, including more humorous titles such as Call of Duty: Warnado.
German versionIn the German version the blood in the sniper sequence during the mission "One Shot, One Kill" and the whole arcade mode were removed. In the multiplayer statistics "headshot" was translated to "Volltreffer" (direct hit).
- On the multiplayer map "Vacant", in the outside area, a truck is parked. Its licence plate reads: "Я3T4ЯD0", obviously a nod to the word "retardo", which is slang for "retard".
- There is a tribute to Airplane! in the mission "Mile High Club". When the screen loads one man can be overheard saying, "Surely you can't be serious?", with the other man replying "I'm serious..and don't call me Shirley". This is a homage to a scene between Leslie Nielsen and Robert Hays during the movie. The scene for CoD 4 can be seen here with the scene from Airplane! here.
- Three of the in-game level names are references to movies: "Charlie Don't Surf" is a line from Apocalypse Now, spoken by Colonel Kilgore; "One Shot, One Kill" from Sniper and "No Fighting In The War Room" from Doctor Strangelove, where the president declares: "Gentlemen! There's no fighting in the War Room!"
References to the game
- The game is referenced in detail during a conversation in the 2008 movie The Wrestler. While playing the fictitious game Wrestle Jam on an 8-bit Nintendo console, a boy tells Randy "The Ram" Robinson about Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare.
- The game was parodied in an episode of "Die Redaktion" (The Editorial Team), a monthly comedy video produced by the German gaming magazine GameStar. It was published on the DVD of issue 04/2008.
- GAME British Academy Video Games Awards
- 2009 - Gameplay Award
- GamePro (Germany)
- March 28, 2008 - Best Console FPS in 2007 (Reader's Voting)
- 2007 – Game of the Year
- 2007 – PC Game of the Year
- 2007 – Console Game of the Year
- 2007 – Xbox 360 Game of the Year
- 2007 – PS3 Game of the Year
- 2007 – PC Action Game of the Year
- 2007 – Xbox 360 Action Game of the Year
- 2007 – PS3 Action Game of the Year
- 2007 – Xbox 360 Multiplayer Game of the Year
- 2007 – #2 Multiplayer Game of the Year
- 2007 – Best Graphics of the Year
- 2012 – #8 Top PC Gaming Intro
- GameStar (Germany)
- March 28, 2008 - Best PC Multiplayer Game in 2007
- September 2008 (issue 12/2008) - One of the "10 Coolest Levels" (Shock and Awe - It lures the player into a feeling of sure victory only to destroy it with one big blast.)
- Golden Joystick Awards
- 2008 - Ultimate Game of the Year
- 2008 - PC Game of the Year
- 2008 - Online Game of the Year
Related Web Sites
- Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare (Official game website)
- Mac Gamer Review (A review of the Macintosh version of Modern Warfare by The Mac Gamer's Alex McLarty (Oct 8th, 2008).)
- Modern Warfare in Call of Duty 4 (An Apple Games article about the Mac version of Call of Duty 4, with commentary provided by Community Manager Robert Bowling (September, 2008).)
- Wikipedia: Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare (Article in the open encyclopedia)
- X360A achievement guide for Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare (X360A's achievement guide for Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare.)
PlayStation 3 Credits