DescriptionGuybrush Threepwood, the mighty pirate who can hold his breath for ten minutes, could have lived quietly and happily with his sweetheart Elaine, the governor of Melee Island. But the restless pirate spirit won't let Guybrush in peace. Things don't go very well with Elaine, and Guybrush (now with a beard) embarks on a new adventure: searching for the legendary treasure of Big Whoop. However, the evil ghost pirate LeChuck hasn't left the stage yet. His subordinates are trying to bring him back from the dead one more time. Will Guybrush be able to defeat his archenemy again?
Monkey Island 2: LeChuck's Revenge is a puzzle-solving adventure game and a sequel to The Secret of Monkey Island. It utilizes the same command-based SCUMM interface (the player uses verb commands on highlighted objects) and branching dialogue system (choosing between several different responses during conversations) that were used in its predecessor. The game features hand-painted graphics, and is the first to utilize LucasArts' iMUSE system, which synchronizes music with visual action on the screen by providing smooth transition between themes.
The events of the game take place on a new set of islands; a part of the game allows the player to explore several islands simultaneously. Uncommonly for adventure games, LeChuck's Revenge features two difficulty levels. The easier one is dubbed Monkey Island 2 Lite; it bypasses or simplifies some of the harder puzzles.
- "猴島小英雄2：李察克的復仇" -- Chinese spelling (traditional)
- "The Secret of Monkey Island 2" -- Informal title
- "MI2" -- Informal title
Part of the Following Groups
- Game Engine: SCUMM
- Games with code-wheel copy protection
- Monkey Island series
- Sound Engine: iMuse
- Theme: Sea Pirates
The Press Says
|The DOS Spirit||Jan 15, 2006||6 out of 6||100|
|Jeuxvideo.com||Sep 28, 2010||19 out of 20||95|
|ACE (Advanced Computer Entertainment)||Feb, 1992||950 out of 1000||95|
|Power Play||Jan, 1992||92 out of 100||92|
|PC Joker||Jan, 1992||88 out of 100||88|
|Joker Verlag präsentiert: Sonderheft||1993||88 out of 100||88|
|GameCola.net||Oct, 2008||8.5 out of 10||85|
|PC Games (Germany)||Jan, 1993||85 out of 100||85|
|Top Secret||Jul, 1992||4 out of 5||80|
There are currently no topics for this game.
1001 Video GamesMonkey Island 2: LeChuck's Revenge appears in the book 1001 Video Games You Must Play Before You Die by General Editor Tony Mott.
Amiga versionThe Amiga version of this game was nicknamed Disk Juggling Simulator by the Amiga community because it came on 11 disks that have to be swapped around whilst playing the game.
DeathYou can actually kill Guybrush! If you wait several minutes after being suspended above the pool of acid, you will be lowered into it.
DevelopmentRon Gilbert did not want to use a CD for this game, because he said it ran very slow and it didn't allow them to do what they wanted. He also believed that the CD wouldn't last for more than a couple of years. However, they were forced to delete six major scenes just for it to fit on five disks. However most of these scenes were not complete so a "director's cut" will never be made.
Big Whoop was never intended to be a large part of the game in the beginning.
German versionDuring development, the German translator Boris Schneider tried to convince Ron Gilbert to change the monkey wrench puzzle because it makes little sense in German. His idea was to switch out the monkey for an Englishman ("Engländer" is about the same idiom as "monkey wrench"). However, Gilbert did not gave in.
iMUSEThis was one of the first games to use the iMUSE sound system.
Insult fightingAs of 2004, Monkey Island 2 is the only game in the main series so far to not include the famous Insult-Swordfighting battle sequences.
- Sometimes in the gambling game, one of the possible prizes is a ticket to the Linguini Brother's Circus. But if you win the ticket and look at it, it'll say The Fettucini Brother's (from The Secret of Monkey Island)
- In this game (as in many Lucasarts games) there are references to other Lucasarts products. For instance, in the antique shop, there is an Indy whip. The voodoo lady and LeChuck have great closeness to Star Wars. And Guybrush hates snakes, like Indiana Jones.
- In the costume shop on Booty Island you can find costumes of two Hanna Barbera characters: Fred Flintstone and Huckleberry Hound.
- There are a lot of books in the Phatt City library, one of them is called "The Majesty of the Sierras" (search the LM drawer). After you receive it from the librarian, take a look at it and Guybrush responds:
Sierras? Majestic? I think not.
- Sam & Max also make an appearance in the game - look for them in the costume shop.
- Monkey Island 2: LeChuck's Revenge was so named as a veiled Star Wars reference. The original subtitle of Star Wars: Episode VI - Return of the Jedi was Revenge of the Jedi.
SalesAs of 2004, Monkey Island 2 is one of the best-selling adventure games ever, having sold over 500,000 copies.
- Amiga Joker
- Issue 02/1993 – Best Game of 1992 (Readers' Vote)
- Issue 02/1993 – Best Adventure Game of 1992 (Readers' Vote)
- Computer Gaming World
- November 1992 (Issue #100) – Adventure Game of the Year
- November 1996 (15th Anniversary Issue) - #74 in the “150 Best Games of All Time” list
- November 1996 (15th anniversary issue) –#2 Funniest Computer Game (together with The Secret of Monkey Island)
- Power Play
- Issue 02/1992 – Best Adventure in 1991
Related Web Sites
- Hints for Monkey Island 2 (These hints will help you solve the game without spoiling it for you.)
- ScummVM (Get "Monkey Island 2: LeChuck's Revenge", as well as many other adventure games, to run on modern systems by using ScummVM, a legal and free program.)
- The Monkey Island Scummbar (Probably the oldest site dedicated to the Monkey Island series of games. Frequently updated.)