DescriptionGuybrush Threepwood has finally defeated the zombie pirate LeChuck, and married his sweetheart Elaine Marley. The happy couple is returning home from an exciting honeymoon. But as they arrive on Melee Island, they notice some very strange changes. A mysterious stranger who calls himself Charles L. Charles is organizing a campaign to become the next governor. The Australian businessman Ozzie Mandrill is turning the Caribbean into an attraction for tourists. And on top of that, Elaine's mansion is being demolished! Naturally, it's up to our hero to revert the things back to normal, even if that means traveling to exotic islands and solving puzzles on the way.
Escape From Monkey Island is a direct sequel to The Curse of Monkey island, and is the fourth game in the Monkey Island series. The gameplay relies mainly on inventory-based puzzles and branching dialogues, just like in the previous installments. The interface is similar to that of Grim Fandango: mouse is not used, and the interaction is done via context-sensitive commands that appear on the screen whenever you navigate Guybrush close to an object. The game utilizes pre-rendered backgrounds and 3D character models.
There are no promo images for this game
- "猴島小英雄4：逃離猴島" -- Chinese spelling (traditional)
- "猴岛大逃亡" -- Chinese spelling (simplified)
- "Monkey Island 4" -- Working title
- "MI4" -- Common abbreviation
- "La Fuga de Monkey Island" -- Spanish title
- "Houdao Da Taowang" -- Chinese title
- "Fuga da Monkey Island" -- Italian title
- "Fuga da Ilha dos Macacos" -- Brazilian title
- "Flucht von Monkey Island" -- German title
- "EFMI" -- Common abbreviation
Part of the Following Groups
- 3D Engine: GrimE
- Animals: Primates (monkeys or apes)
- Monkey Island series
- Scripting language: Lua
- Sound Engine: iMuse
- Theme: Sea Pirates
|Collapsed under the weight of too many monkeys||Windows||Unicorn Lynx (181375)|
|Somewhat fun, but too uncertain of itself.||Windows||Ola Sverre Bauge (241)|
|Aye, ‘tis a black day for adventures: the last great series is dying.||Windows||-Chris (7565)|
|Can Monkey Island escape from Escape from Monkey Island?||Windows||jossiejojo (41)|
|No. Not very good. Don't you dare make another one Lucasarts!||Windows||Shazbut (167)|
|A wonderful game, and yet a terrible disappointment||Windows||El-ad Amir (124)|
|What happened?||Windows||NatsFan (141)|
|Funny, yet disappointing...||Windows||Quackbal (51)|
|Christ! Not another Monkey Island 4 review...||Windows||Katakis | カタキス (39520)|
|One of the worst games ever made.||Windows||Pavan Shamdasani (3)|
|4Players.de||Windows||Nov 24, 2000||88 out of 100||88|
|Gamezilla||PlayStation 2||Jul 05, 2001||86 out of 100||86|
|PC Games (Germany)||Windows||Dec, 2000||86 out of 100||86|
|Game Informer Magazine||PlayStation 2||Sep, 2001||8.5 out of 10||85|
|GameSpot||PlayStation 2||Jun 21, 2001||8.1 out of 10||81|
|GameSpot||Windows||Nov 09, 2000||8.1 out of 10||81|
|Gamezilla||Windows||Nov 29, 2000||80 out of 100||80|
|Gamesmania.de||PlayStation 2||Aug 09, 2001||75 out of 100||75|
|Game industry News (GiN)||Macintosh||2001||70|
|Topic||# Posts||Last Post|
|*Alarm bells ringing, sirens wailing...*||8||DJP Mom (11391)
Jun 21, 2007
ControlsEscape from Monkey Island emulates the controls of Alone in the Dark right down to double-tapping the up arrow to run; according to its manual and readme, this was in Grim Fandango as well, but was removed at the last minute.
ExtrasThe PC version came with a "quick-path" walkthrough that explained how to beat the entire game. However, not much detail was put into it, and no secrets were revealed (both to try and persuade the player to buy the full strategy guide). The walkthrough that came with the PC version was written entirely in bright blue ink, screenshots and all. This was probably to deter "helpomaniacs", people who look up what to do next, and then regret they did.
- The "bad guy" of the game is an Australian named Ozzie Mandrill. A mandrill is a kind of a monkey.
- There is a character named Marco Pollo in the game. Beside being a parody on the famous traveler Marco Polo, the name also has another meaning: "pollo" is Spanish for "chicken".
- On Melee Island (TM), if you ask I. Cheese about his family, he'll eventually tell you about his aunt who was so ugly people turned to stone when looking at her. He also tells her name: Gorgon Zola Cheese. "Gorgonzola" is a kind of cheese, while "Gorgon" is a name of a monster in Greek mythology: whoever looks at it turns into stone.
- The SCUMM Bar and LUA Bars appearing in the game are named after two programming languages. SCUMM is the language developed by LucasArts for creating Maniac Mansion (and then many other games), and LUA is a language developed in a Brazilian university.
- In the Place of Prostheses, with the machine if you enter the right code then you can get one which has the name as 'Manuel J. Calaverus'. This is obviously referring to Manny Calavera in Grim Fandango.
- Escape from Monkey Island features a mini-game (obligatory to finish the game) called "Monkey Combat". No need to say it is a parody on the Mortal Kombat series.
- When you are in Lucre Island jail, if you look at the iron maiden, Guybrush would say, "Iron Maiden! Excellent!" This is refering to the movie Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure, where they get arrested in ancient England, and the king says to send them to the iron maiden. Thinking they mean the rock band, Bill and Ted reply "Iron Maiden. Excellent!" then play the air guitar.
- On Lucre Island (TM), the parfume stand is entitled "Scents and Sensibilities". This is a reference to Jane Austin's book Sense and Sensibility.
- On Lucre Island, inside the swamp, you can see a crashed X-Wing there.
- GameStar (Germany)
- Issue 04/2009 - One of the "10 Most Terrible Sequels" ( It changed the handling to annoying keyboard controls and many puzzles defy every logic and have to be solved through trial and error. The atmosphere suffers from sterile backgrounds and modern consumption criticism. Because of its humour and the lack of competition it is still the best adventure released in 2000.)
- PC Player (Germany)
- Issue 01/2001 - Best Adventure in 2000
Related Web Sites
- Escape from Monkey Island (The official website)
- Escape from Monkey Island - FAQs & Guides (A large collection of walkthroughs posted on GameFaqs.com)
- Hints for EMI (These question and answer type hints give you just what you need without spoiling the rest of the game for you. Includes full solution.)
- The International House of Mojo (A Site dedicated to the LucasArts Games (primarily the Adventures))
- The Talking Skull (Murray Goodwin's Fan Site, which some consider the ultimate Monkey Island site.)
- Timber Looijen's Walkthru (Another Windows version walkthrough)
- World of Monkey Island (About all Monkey Island games)