DescriptionIn the Northern parts of Faerûn the winter never ends. In this harsh realm of ice only a few tough survivors live, and nowadays even those hardy few find the conditions a tad tougher. A party of adventurers has just arrived at the small fishing town of Easthaven. Its leader Hrothgar organizes an expedition to help a troubled nearby tree-village, Kuldahar. The party joins the expedition, but an ambush by frost giants causes an avalanche, killing everyone but the heroes themselves. Now they must continue Hrothgar's quest and discover the source of the evil that threatens the land.
Icewind Dale is a party-based role-playing game with real-time combat, very similar in visual style and basic gameplay mechanics to Baldur's Gate. The game utilizes the second edition of the Advanced Dungeons & Dragons rules. As opposed to Baldur's Gate (and similarly to older AD&D RPGs), the player is free to create a party of up to six characters belonging to various races and classes; no characters inhabiting the game world are able to join the party afterwards. Compared to Baldur's Gate and Planescape: Torment by the same developers, Icewind Dale is more combat-oriented; it has a linear plot advancement and focuses on extensive exploration of hostile areas rather than conversations with characters and quests.
- "冰风之谷" -- Chinese spelling (simplified)
- "冰風之谷" -- Chinese title (traditional)
- "Bingfeng zhi Gu" -- Chinese title
Part of the Following Groups
- Dungeons & Dragons Campaign Setting: Forgotten Realms
- Dungeons & Dragons (D&D / AD&D) licensees
- Fantasy Creatures: Elves
- Gameplay feature: Journal
- Gameplay feature: Paper doll inventory
- Gameplay Feature: Pickpocketing
- Graphics Engine: Infinity Engine
- Icewind Dale series
|Old times recaptured||Windows||Cor 13 (174144)|
|Excellent break from the Baldur's Gate series.||Windows||OlSkool_Gamer (99)|
|Ooohh … now I remember this! An adventure gal revisits the RPG genre||Windows||Jeanne (75452)|
|Not just another overrated RPG||Windows||Sam Tinianow (98)|
|Wonderful RPG with a twist||Windows||The Gay Elf (14)|
|Superb RPG - But it lacks the soul of AD&D||Windows||Indra is stressed (19991)|
|Gamer's Pulse||Windows||Jul 23, 2000||91 out of 100||91|
|All Game Guide||Windows||2000||90|
|Gameplay (Benelux)||Windows||Aug 30, 2000||90 out of 100||90|
|Inside Mac Games (IMG)||Macintosh||Apr 08, 2002||8.5 out of 10||85|
|Game Captain||Windows||Aug 28, 2000||83 out of 100||83|
|4Players.de||Windows||Jul 31, 2000||82 out of 100||82|
|Adrenaline Vault, The (AVault)||Windows||Jul 31, 2000||80|
|Mac Gamer||Macintosh||Apr 10, 2002||70 out of 100||70|
|Gamekult||Windows||Sep 08, 2000||6 out of 10||60|
|JeuxVideoPC.com||Windows||Oct 01, 2000||11 out of 20||55|
There are currently no topics for this game.
Preview versionIn the preview version distributed to gaming magazines the end boss had special dialogue (mostly threats), e.g. "I slaughtered many editors and their families."
SalesIcewind Dale hit the shelves the exact same time as Blizzard's Diablo 2. Despite selling numbers that were below the "Big D", Icewind Dale was a good commercial success.
Related Web Sites
- Hints for Icewind Dale (These hints are designed to give you just what you need without spoiling the game for you.)
- Icewind Dale (The official homepage)
- Icewind Dale: FAQs & Guides (A collection of files that includes full strategies and help for specific character types and more.)
- Mike's Icewind Dale pages (A great resource site for Icewind Dale. Tips, walkthroughs, weapon charts, subquests and much more.)
- Strategy Guide for Icewind Dale (by the Stratos Group)