Forums > Off Topic > At the movies!

Zovni (10504) on 2/17/2006 3:13 AM · Permalink · Report

Hi there, the way I see it our new mobygames forum needs a thread about those lovely trainwrecks we like to call "videogame-motion picture adaptations", and as a certified movie-buff why not start one?

Ok, there's a lot of projects on the way and as usual a lot will be old news to some, but let me just thrown in a few for those still in the dark: Silent Hill (www.sonypictures.com/movies/silenthill/) is around the corner and some new pictures have been released, including a particularly bitching one featuring Pyramid head dragging a child's corpse. I would post it but I dunno if it's kosher with everyone (plus I don't think we can do that yet in the threads, right mods?)

The trailer for "In the Name of the King: A Dungeon Siege Tale" (www.dungeonsiege-themovie.com) has been released (it's actually an in-house promo reel, but what the heck) and if you don't think that's terrifying news on it's own get this: It's being directed by our beloved Uwe Boll (House of the Dead, Alone in the Dark, Bloodrayne) and stars Jason Statham (The Transporter), Ray Liotta and Burt Reynolds... yeah, that's right.

Also more news on Dr. Boll: His movie adaptation of "Postal" seems to be all but greenlit, and should be his next project after Dungeon Siege.

On related news, I saw a screener disc for "House of the Dead 2" the other day and if you thought that no one could make a worse movie for the franchise than Uwe then think again...Look for the worst acting this side of Mariah Carey, production values that rival your average Cinemax softcore flick and a plot that makes absolutely no sense coming your way.

Moving on to slightly more serious projects "Hitman" is also making it's way to the big screen. It's being produced by Fox & Vin Diesel, who also stars as our beloved Mr. 47.

And for all Halo fans, yes the movie is in the works and Peter Jackson and co. are apparently producing it. No director, cast or anything has been appointed and the only solid fact is that Alex Garland is writing the script so cross your fingers...

And that's all I'm willing to write now folks. Now keep it rolling!

Matt Neuteboom (976) on 2/17/2006 5:30 AM · Permalink · Report

Great topic, Zovni! Well I won't get into too much detail of how much I hate seeing games turned into movies because as gamers we all know how much thery suck anyway!!!

Me and my friends were talking that if one of us becomes a director, we are making a video game film, however all of the script writers are gamers and one of the requirments to get a job there is that you have to have beaten the game at leat twice and you also have to take a test on the game's storyline, universe, characters, etc. And you have to score at least an 85 on the test to become a writer/producer. That way, the movie is almost exact to the game.

I don;t eally see why people don;t just stick to the damn script the game makes. Games like Silent Hill and House of the Dead and Alone in the Dark already have a fully developed script. Why not use that because THATS WHAT GAMERS ARE EXPECTING TO SEE ANYWAY.

Anyhoo, thank you for the updates on the movies. I'm going to go and have nightmares about them now. :-D

Zovni (10504) on 2/18/2006 1:02 AM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Matt Neuteboom wrote--] Me and my friends were talking that if one of us becomes a director, we are making a video game film, however all of the script writers are gamers and one of the requirments to get a job there is that you have to have beaten the game at leat twice and you also have to take a test on the game's storyline, universe, characters, etc. And you have to score at least an 85 on the test to become a writer/producer. That way, the movie is almost exact to the game.
[/Q --end Matt Neuteboom wrote--]

Well that's an interesting idea, as it is right now producers and directors know squat about the source material in the average videogame adaptation, just consider that Lawrence Gordon (producer of the Tomb Raider movie) approached his source material by paying some schmuk to play with the psx version for a couple of hours, taping it, and then watching the action on his vcr... On the other hand familiarity with videogames doesn't exactly guarantee good results, Uwe Boll is a videogame junkie and apparently very good at it also.

Zovni (10504) on 4/21/2006 10:53 PM · Permalink · Report

Holy moley! The Trailer for Dead or Alive is online! (http://www.moviesonline.ca/movienews_8408.html)

See it and judge for yourself... I dunno, I think they were considerably faithful to the games, they seem to have included the T&A and volleyball at the very least.

Trixter (8952) on 5/4/2006 5:35 AM · Permalink · Report

This is the first game-to-movie trailer I've seen since Mortal Kombat (the first movie, not the terrible second) that has looked decent. It's Yuen Baou (sp?), right?

Zovni (10504) on 5/4/2006 11:08 PM · Permalink · Report

Dunno, but Robin Shou is in it! Good to know he's still alive I guess. XD

Terrence Bosky (5397) on 2/18/2006 1:11 AM · Permalink · Report

I have high hopes for Silent Hill and I'm glad that Sony has been involving the fans. As for Dr. Boll, my heart breaks that he's connected to Far Cry. I'm not sure why movie execs are willing to shell out bucks for rights to a franchise and then actively avoid the source material when it comes to writing the script.

Matt Neuteboom (976) on 2/18/2006 3:59 AM · Permalink · Report

Yes, I also have some high hopes for Silent Hill because to me Silent Hill is a game worth making a move out of. Its got the storyline and the scary part. Games like Doom don't even have a storyline at all, so I don't think in anyway is it worth it to make a movie anyway. And even so, games that already have a developed storyline aren;t even followed correctly. Man I hate how they do that to such brilliantly created games.

For some good news, Hideo Kojima has CONFIRMED, that Dr. Boll is not and will never ever make a Metal Gear Solid Movie, and I think we can all be happy to hear that a video game with scuh depth, persona, emotion, and storyline will never be ridiculed by his work. What is even funnier is that when asked about this rumor, Hideo not only said that he will NEVER work on the Metal Gear Solid game, but the tone of his voice showed that Hideo was absolutely shocked and horrified at the very idea of it ever happening. Thank (enter your deity here ) for huge miracles!!!!

monkeyislandgirl (8626) on 2/18/2006 5:11 AM · Permalink · Report

lol trainwrecks

wasn't there a Super Mario Bros movie? I know they had a TV show for it...That must've been...different.

Ohh and of course there's that hitchhiker movie last summer

Matt Neuteboom (976) on 2/18/2006 7:30 AM · Permalink · Report

wasn't there a Super Mario Bros movie?

Yes, in fact I just watched it again on Wednesday. Everyone knows that movies sucks though. Entire movie played out by live action people. Toad was a homeless singing radical, the badguy was actually "Koopa", goombas were lizards that walked on two feet, the Mushroom kingdom was actually just a giant desert planet with no resources and one ultra-cramped giant city, shy huys were men in radiation suits and gas masks, bob-ombs were the size of a golf ball, the only reason mario and lugi could jump so high were because of "rocket boots", bullet bills feuled these rockets boots, big bertha was a w--re at a dance club, and wigglers were taxi cabs. so yea, even turning something as simple as mario into a movie will ruin it for good. :)

Zovni (10504) on 2/18/2006 11:54 AM · Permalink · Report

Super Mario Bros.! Now that was a disaster... Remember how they used the Superscopes as the de-volutionizing guns for the Koopas? Man... truly the saddest point in Dennis Hopper's career.

-Chris (7757) on 2/19/2006 11:34 AM · Permalink · Report

Has anybody actually seen the Bloodrayne movie? It's not out in Germany (yet?). I wasn't particularily surprised to see that it's featured in IMDB "bottom 100" movie list, at #19.

Servo (57069) on 2/22/2006 2:26 PM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start -Chris wrote--]Has anybody actually seen the Bloodrayne movie? [/Q --end -Chris wrote--] Apparently not, at least around here most (all?) of the theatres that were actually showing it dropped it by the end of the week. To add to the fiasco, the distributor accidentally(?!) shipped numerous extra prints.

Trixter (8952) on 2/19/2006 10:36 PM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start monkeyislandgirl wrote--]lol trainwrecks

Ohh and of course there's that hitchhiker movie last summer [/Q --end monkeyislandgirl wrote--]

Yes, but Hitchhiker's Guide To The Galaxy was a radio play, then a book, then a BBC miniseries, then a series of more books, then a game, then finally a movie... so that's not really a fair comparison. :)

It's interesting to note that the radio play is slightly different from the books, which are slightly different than the miniseries, which is slightly different from the movie... and while you could blame anyone for that, it's actually Douglas Adams' fault (the author). He was constantly tweaking the storylines, up until his death.

monkeyislandgirl (8626) on 2/20/2006 5:18 AM · Permalink · Report

Ooooh i did not know that!!

Weird that we were talkn about that Mario movie and it was on today!...Man that was a bad movie...

Also...wasn't there a street fighter movie? I know they did a cheesy one in HK lol

Trixter (8952) on 2/21/2006 3:23 AM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start monkeyislandgirl wrote--] Also...wasn't there a street fighter movie? I know they did a cheesy one in HK lol [/Q --end monkeyislandgirl wrote--]

HK -- not sure, although there was a cheezy Jackie Chan Becames Every SF Character sequence in one of his movies, can't remember which one :-)

Yes, the american SF movie was mostly terrible, although I would be lying if I said I didn't really enjoy the Chun Li scene where she surprises Bison and, for about 25 seconds, really starts to kick his ass before he hits a panic button and traps her.

Mobygamesisreanimated (11069) on 2/21/2006 11:45 AM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Trixter wrote--] HK -- not sure, although there was a cheezy Jackie Chan Becames Every SF Character sequence in one of his movies, can't remember which one :-) [/Q --end Trixter wrote--]

City Hunter. Gary Daniels turned into Ken and Jackie Chan fought him as Chun Li and some other characters. He eventually defeats him with help of to jerks who turn into Guile and Dahlsim. ... Not one of Jackie's best movies.

Zovni (10504) on 3/5/2006 5:58 PM · Permalink · Report

There's also one of those classic copyright-gangbang movies that were so frequent in HK cinema not so long ago (for those that don't know in asia they don't give a rat's ass about copyright and it is just as common to find knock-off movies as toys). In Street Fighter's case it's called "Future Cops" and stars Andy Lau as Vega, whom along with Ryu, Guile and Dhalsim must travel back in time from the future to stop Bison from ruling the earth or something like that... no I swear I'm not making it up! Google it!

Mobygamesisreanimated (11069) on 2/20/2006 2:16 PM · Permalink · Report

Was the Hitch Hiker movie bad? I haven't seen it yet but I love the books, most of them anyway.

Slug Camargo (583) on 3/11/2006 2:03 AM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Matt Neuteboom wrote--]Yes, I also have some high hopes for Silent Hill because to me Silent Hill is a game worth making a move out of. Its got the storyline and the scary part. Games like Doom don't even have a storyline at all, so I don't think in anyway is it worth it to make a movie anyway. [/Q --end Matt Neuteboom wrote--]

I agree about Silent Hill, and I'm eagerly awaiting for it since the trailers look quite promising.

As for games such as Doom, true, they don't even have a story, but that shouldn't justify making the kind of crap they make. There's a very interesting article at Pointless Waste of Time dealing with that very point. Here's a quote:

It's okay for the dialogue to be simple and stupid and I don't care if you cast a wrestler as the lead character. This is going to be a "B" movie.
But a "B" movie doesn't have to be shitty. You hear that, Hollywood? You can make an unapologetic action movie and it can still be good. You see, in the world of video games, Doom isn't a "B" title. It's top of the line, the games always made by top developers with top budgets.
(...)
Doom needs a Paul Verhoeven. He's the guy who took a screenplay called Robocop, a concept so cheesy it could easily have played like Inspector Gadget and turned in a relentlessly brutal, bloody film that originally earned an "X" Rating from the MPAA.

Trixter (8952) on 2/19/2006 10:33 PM · Permalink · Report

I agree, although I'd like to give small props to Mortal Kombat -- that movie wasn't nearly as terrible as I thought it would be; in fact, I liked a few things (like the Cage vs. Scorpion battles).

MK2 movie was dung, though. Brian and I actually paid money to see that in the theater :-P

Mobygamesisreanimated (11069) on 2/20/2006 12:11 PM · Permalink · Report

Yeah, the first Mortal Kombat was one of the better adaptions that I remember, which is really sad because I hated every minute of it. Oh and of course there was a Street Fighter movie, the one with Jean-Claude Van Damme and Raul Julia (in his last role ...). That one somehow managed to be much worse than Mortal Kombat.

Also, for an interesting story about our beloved Uwe Boll go here: http://www.somethingawful.com/articles.php?a=2649

monkeyislandgirl (8626) on 2/20/2006 10:38 PM · Permalink · Report

hehe not that surprised...never been a big fan of Jean Claude...or the film he's in

h'mik (228) on 2/20/2006 10:52 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

Yeah, I remember seeing the Street Fighter movie (I'm also not a big fan of van Damme) and in the end saying something like "I just wasted two hours of my life to watch this piece of cough". It was really, really, one of the worst games I have ever seen. For the ones who haven't seen it, and are curious about it, go to your room :P

http://www.badmovies.org/movies/streetfighter/index.html

Yes, Mortal Kombat 1 was better than the other game-related movies, and the sequel was quite a "masterpiece". Anyway, for a greater list for this type of movie, check out

http://www.imdb.com/keyword/based-on-video-game/

Hope I haven't spoiled all the fun (I just remembered the Double Dragon movie). And I must say I regret the fact that a game as good as Deus Ex is probably going to generate a lame movie.

Terrence Bosky (5397) on 2/21/2006 3:02 PM · Permalink · Report

I just remembered, there's an adult themed Fatal Frame movie. Beyond the Camera's Lens, the Fatal Frame fan site, has a link to the trailer.

Shoddyan (15005) on 2/22/2006 6:51 AM · Permalink · Report

Games that Movies were made from Game Group feel free to think of a better title for it or to edit the description.

Naturally a lot of these movies apply to "franchises" (series and/or universes) rather than individual games. Hopefully this will be something Mobygames addresses in the future for a number of pieces of content.

Joshua J. Slone (4666) on 2/25/2006 8:31 AM · Permalink · Report

Man, Super Mario Bros... I've got so many ways of looking at the movie that I'm not sure what to make of it. If I think of it is as a Mario adaptation, it's a reeeeaaally big stretch with few similarities. However, if I just think of it is a bizarre kid-friendly fantasy that happens to use a few Mario elements, it's pretty neat. I love it as a cheesy movie, though. Dennis Hopper as President Koopa giving off serious lines like "You know what I love about mud? It's clean and dirty at the same time." is just so fun.

It's worth pointing out X-Strike Studios. They're fans who do their own game-inspired movies on an extremely low budget. Thus far they've completed two (River City Rumble, Silent Horror), though several others are in pre- through post-production. I've only seen River City Rumble yet. Try not to go in with expectations of greatness, but as goofiness made by fellow fans it's got quirky charm, and I'm glad something like it exists.

[Q --start WildKard wrote--]Games that Movies were made from Game Group feel free to think of a better title for it or to edit the description.[/Q --end WildKard wrote--] Games later adapted to movies, maybe?

Kartanym (12418) on 3/16/2006 2:00 AM · Permalink · Report

Hey, I loved the Mario Bros. movie :p Sure, it wasn't the 'real' Mario, but by itself it isn't so bad.

I have to say that, although street fighter was bad, the movie based upon Double Dragon was far worse. Far, far worse :p

monkeyislandgirl (8626) on 3/16/2006 11:08 AM · Permalink · Report

Double dragon had a movie?...Damn

Hey what about Lara Croft? That wasn't too bad? I mean Angelina was hot! (although...those padded boobs scared me...)

Kartanym (12418) on 3/17/2006 3:00 AM · Permalink · Report

Both Tomb Raider films were ok, I guess. Without Jolie, I would have struggled to watch them :p

I haven't seen Double Dragon yet, but I have seen a cheap DVD copy floating around stores near me. Maybe one day I'll pick it up ... for a laugh :p

Mobygamesisreanimated (11069) on 3/20/2006 8:33 PM · Permalink · Report

You haven't seen Double Dragon, but you know that it's worse than Street Fighter? I have seen both and I can say that DD isn't quite as bad as Sf. But then again, getting punched in the stomach isn't quite as bad as getting punched in the balls, but most people wouldn't pay for that... In other words: don't spend any money on the DD movie!

Zovni (10504) on 3/18/2006 4:11 PM · Permalink · Report

Ironically enough SNK developed a one-on-one brawler based on the DD movie... and no it's not good at all, so I guess there's no irony there :P

n][rvana (1823) on 3/22/2006 6:44 AM · Permalink · Report

I never liked fighting games because of their mechanics, so I never watched movies based on those games.

But I agree that the Tomb Raider and Resident Evil are waaay cool.

And how abut the other way around, videogames based on movies? Van Helsing, LotR, Constantine, Blair Witch Project, Aliens: A Comic Book Adventure, Blade Runner, Emperor: Battle For Dune... even Farscape, all have been good games! What do you think?

Unicorn Lynx (181769) on 3/22/2006 7:03 AM · Permalink · Report

Blade Runner was good... Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade was good... what else?

Kabushi (261303) on 3/22/2006 10:02 AM · Permalink · Report

Blade Runner, Tron 2.0, Chronicles of Riddick and a couple of Star Wars games.

Slug Camargo (583) on 3/23/2006 2:10 AM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start nrvana wrote--]And how abut the other way around, videogames based on movies? Van Helsing, LotR, Constantine, Blair Witch Project, Aliens: A Comic Book Adventure, Blade Runner, Emperor: Battle For Dune... even Farscape, all have been good games! What do you think? [/Q --end nrvana wrote--]

Ah, the Constantine movie. Don't get me started. I have quite a deep grudge with that POS, so I couldn't possibly judge the game.

Anyway, I just remembered the two Alien vs. Predator games, both were damn good at capturing the tense atmosphere of the Alien movies. And you could also play the Predator with all his gadgets, which is kind of a dork wet dream for those of us who grew with those movies.

Kartanym (12418) on 3/23/2006 4:15 AM · Permalink · Report

That Farscape game was dissapointing. I was expecting a little more from it. Of course, how can you go past Goldeneye. Such a shame EA wasted the opportunity with that recent 'sequel'. Good idea, very bad execution.

Battle for Middle Earth is another that comes recommended. Especially the recent sequel.

Zovni (10504) on 4/20/2006 2:34 AM · Permalink · Report

Minute-long clip of Silent Hill!

http://movies.aol.com/movie/main.adp?tab=trailers&mid=23424&ncid=AOLMOV00050000000025

Matt Neuteboom (976) on 4/23/2006 8:10 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

GO SEE SILENT HILL

I got to see it over the weekend and it is one of the best horror movies I've ever seen. Very creepy, it definitely is up there with some of the best. I play violent video games all day and it definitely scared the s**t out of me. There were even times I had to look away from the screen because things can get a little gruesome.

I can't guaruntee that it follows the plot of the movies exactly. I've only played up to the hotel in SH2, and I've never played the rest of the game or any of the others. I've never played the original Silent Hill, but it was definitely a good movie. It kept some cool places that were from the games like the hotel (including the place where you have to jump the gap to get to the second hotel) and my friend says the school is in one of them.

Finally someone makes a good movie conversion of a video game. If you're a fan of horror movies I reccomend seeing it. I liked it a lot.

Indra was here (20752) on 4/23/2006 11:07 PM · Permalink · Report

Let's hope the movie Silent Hill is as #!@#!@# scary as the game! (remembering distant shivers while playing the game once upon a nightmare...)

And hopefully it has more taste than some game-adapted movies we all know about...

UP YOURS RESIDENT EVIL!

...and Tomb Raider
...and Mortal Kombat
...and Final Fantasy
...hmm...

...come to think of it, I don't think I can name a single good movie that was adapted from a game.

Matt Neuteboom (976) on 4/24/2006 1:23 AM · Permalink · Report

Let's hope the movie Silent Hill is as #!@#!@# scary as the game! (remembering distant shivers while playing the game once upon a nightmare...)

Yea, I just said Silent Hill is definitely as scary as the game, though I guess I wouldn't be able to tell since I've never played the games. But its definitely scary and its definitely one of the best horror movies I've ever seen, even better than those NOT adapted off of a video game.

Slug Camargo (583) on 4/24/2006 1:30 AM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Matt Neuteboom wrote--]GO SEE SILENT HILL

I play violent video games all day and it definitely scared the s**t out of me.

At the risk of shooting the topic off on a tangent, I have to ask: why do people equal movies/games being violent/bloody with them being scary?
This has been a lifelong struggle of me against what seems to be 90% of the people on earth: to me, true horror is about atmosphere, pacing, and suggestion. A gibbin' n' splatterin' gorefest can be very disturbing, yes, but I wouldn't call that "horror". In fact, the moment the story resorts to too much violence, it loses any chance to make me any nervous, let alone "scared".

I think true horror is that of movies like Session 9 or games like the first Silent Hill or Clive Barker's Undying, and not the fighting stances, mind you, but most of the scenes in between fights; but I can't qualify a movie like Saw or any of the Resident Evil games as proper horror. A game where you pack a rocket launcher immediately ceases being electable as horror to me.

Anyway, back on topic: Haven't seen the movie yet, eagerly waiting. Hopefully, anyone will bother to bring it down here sometime around September or so...

Zovni (10504) on 4/24/2006 2:11 AM · Permalink · Report

The few critics that got to see it are not being kind to it... but anyway. Session 9 now that is a good movie!

Matt Neuteboom (976) on 4/24/2006 6:50 PM · Permalink · Report

Well I'm an idiot.

I talked to a friend who DID play the game and apparently it has nothing to do with the games, save for a few references to it.

I guess that makes it a lot stupider than before, now that I know that they DIDNT make a good conversion of the game.

Damn.

Slug Camargo (583) on 4/25/2006 1:16 AM · edited · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Matt Neuteboom wrote--]Well I'm an idiot.

I talked to a friend who DID play the game and apparently it has nothing to do with the games, save for a few references to it.

I guess that makes it a lot stupider than before, now that I know that they DIDNT make a good conversion of the game.

Damn. [/Q --end Matt Neuteboom wrote--]

Well, maybe it is a good movie even if it's not 100% true to the source material. I mean, you did like it, and that's what counts, right?
I for one, am really curious about the movie. Worst case scenario, I hope it repeats the "V For Vendetta" phenomenon: after so many crappy adaptations, one that a least manages to make a half decent movie will feel like a masterpiece.

Are you listening, Hollywood? Thanks for turning me into such an easily-pleased bitch.

Matt Neuteboom (976) on 4/25/2006 1:43 AM · Permalink · Report

At a few points in the movie, it actually did feel like a masterpeice.

And yea, I did like. in fact, I loved it. It wasn't crappy like the other ones, it actually had a pretty deep storyline for such a video game conersion. Many game conversions are just guns and women and action, but this one was a really good one.

Slug Camargo (583) on 4/25/2006 2:22 AM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Matt Neuteboom wrote--]At a few points in the movie, it actually did feel like a masterpeice.

And yea, I did like. in fact, I loved it. It wasn't crappy like the other ones, it actually had a pretty deep storyline for such a video game conersion. Many game conversions are just guns and women and action, but this one was a really good one. [/Q --end Matt Neuteboom wrote--]

Well, not being an action packed gunfest, having a somewhat convincing storyline (and in some cases not even a full story, only the first half is enough) and being set in (or near) the abandoned town with the perpetual mist; is pretty much all that takes for a game to be called a proper "Silent Hill", so maybe the movie IS a good conversion after all.

Like I said, I still hold to this glimmer of hope. I'm quite the fanboi.

Shoddyan (15005) on 4/26/2006 2:09 AM · edited · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Matt Neuteboom wrote--]Well I'm an idiot.

I guess that makes it a lot stupider than before, now that I know that they DIDNT make a good conversion of the game. [/Q --end Matt Neuteboom wrote--]

Don't feel bad. I have yet to see a single good "conversion of a game" movie come out yet... and believe me, I eventually watch them all!

Resident Evil (and it's sequel) did the same thing. It wasn't horrible to watch, but it definitely had little to do with the events that occurred during the game...

Someday my rant is going to turn into a featured article... though it will be difficult, especially if I have to re-watch Wing Commander.

Indra was here (20752) on 4/26/2006 5:54 PM · Permalink · Report

Resident Evil "The Movie" isn't under the horror genre.

It was either under the comedy genre (haha...corny as hell) or the family drama genre (snore...oh, the bad guy dead yet?)

Haven't seen DOOM "The Movie" yet. Is that any good? Don't laugh, but I happen to be a fan of the ROCK as an actor. Seems to be a nice chap.

Matt Neuteboom (976) on 4/30/2006 4:45 AM · Permalink · Report

The Rock is a better actor than he was a wrestler. His acting in "Walking Tall" I thought was really quite good. Though I'm sure many people think he's a crappy actor since he was first a wrestler, I have high respects for him as an actor. And yes, he really is actually a nice guy.

Zovni (10504) on 5/7/2006 5:07 PM · Permalink · Report

Read it an weep:

"Uwe Boll put another notch in his gamepad today, as developer Running With Scissors announced that the game-centric director-producer has signed on to help bring its controversial Postal series of games to the big screen.

Boll, whose cinematic adaptations of House of the Dead and Alone in the Dark have been notoriously shunned by gamers and critics alike, was chosen for the project in part because of the controversy surrounding him, Running With Scissors CEO Vince Desi told GameSpot. "He is truly independent, and his controversy excites us. And we have no fear," Desi said.

In announcing the movie deal, Running With Scissors claims that Postal is Boll's all-time favorite game. "I see it like a mirror for our society--funny, violent, absurd!" Boll said. "So then the movie must be powerful, strange, and so full of the game's political incorrect outrageousness that if we do it correct, we will all probably end up in jail!"

Desi also indicated that the movie won't shy away from the controversial and violent subject matter of the games. In fact, one of his motivations for making the movie was "because you're limited to what you can show in a game."

Desi also confirmed that Gary Coleman, who had a cameo appearance in Postal 2, will "absolutely" be involved in the movie.

Postal will begin shooting in 2006, with a planned release in 2007.

[UPDATE]: Boll answered a few quick questions about the project for GameSpot. He described the movie as "Pulp Fiction meets Falling Down meets Wag The Dog," and said that just like the game, it will show that a task as mundane as cashing a check can be a big adventure.

When asked why he focuses on violent games for his movie adaptations (all but one of his movies are based on M-rated games), Boll merely said "A lot of games are violent. And on a personal level, I love violent movies."

He added that there weren't any E-rated games he'd be interested in adapting to the big screen"

Mobygamesisreanimated (11069) on 5/7/2006 6:24 PM · Permalink · Report

So Postal is a "mirror for our society"... I really see Uwe getting locked up if he keeps going like this, not in a jail though.

Matt Neuteboom (976) on 5/7/2006 9:37 PM · Permalink · Report

Running With Scissors claims that Postal is Boll's all-time favorite game

Maybe playing video games does make you braindead.

Indra was here (20752) on 5/7/2006 9:37 PM · Permalink · Report

Ironically, those of us who enjoy "violent games and movies" to my personal observation must live in a very stable, peaceful and organized living environment.

If you lived in a middle of a freakin warzone, and let's say you watch a movie on TV and a dude blows another dude's brains off or another "fleshy" example. You'd probably turn off the TV while muttering "My neigbour got whacked in front off me, I don't need to watch this s**t", while dodging incoming straying bullets apparently not intended for you.

Apparently, the more peaceful and organized the social environment, the more need there is for violence. I find this quite peculiar. I've come to the conclusion that violence to whatever extent appears to be a primary need as being human. Must be the "hunter" instinct in us.

Let's face it...the average "wierdo" who becomes a stalker or serial killer, etc. usually only appears in "civil" societies. Try being a serial killer in former Soviet Union or in former Nazi Germany.

But that's only my assumption...

Matt Neuteboom (976) on 5/8/2006 11:41 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

Humans generally yearn for what we do not have. If we live in a cold place, we want heat, if we live in a hot environment, we want to be cold, if we're tall, we want to be short, if we're short, we want to be tall.

Its all psychological. Plus, look at it from the other perspective. Why would a civilized person want to pkay a game about a "normal" guy. A guy that just goes to work, eats pizza, then sleeps and enjoys the social trappings of his country. He does that ever day.

Its all about excaping for the ordinary. But not just any ordinary. YOUR ordinary.

Indra was here (20752) on 5/13/2006 3:35 AM · edited · Permalink · Report

Hmm. Very well put indeed.

inputing data So based on your logical theory. The biggest movie block-busters in a sense (at least limited to that particular theory) may well be the direct reflection of what the society is not.

Makes sense though. Ugly people want to see things about being pretty. Pretty people want to see things about being ugly. Domestic people want to see violence. Violent people want to see domestic scenes.

Interesting.

Slug Camargo (583) on 6/10/2006 9:02 PM · Permalink · Report

Bump! ;D

Well, I finally got to see the Silent Hill movie, and I must say I'm not sure to be entirely happy about it.

It is a pretty good movie when compared to most videogame adaptations, but the story is way below the one in the games. Not only there's nary a mention of the rich background that the second game proposed for the town (that was to be expected, after all, it was too much stuff to cover in a movie just for the sake of a supporting background), they trimmed a lot of the -already pretty simple as it was- story of the demon-god cult, to the point they made it something entirely different, and much more like a dumb caricaturesque class-B horror movie trying to be genuinely dramatic.

Also, as Matt hinted a few posts ago, with the story out of the way, the prime focus of the movie is on being as visually disturbing as it gets. In fact, I'm not sure I'd call it a horror movie at all, as it's much more of a gorefest than anything else. Actually, there are a couple of scenes I found unnecessarily explicit, such as the one where some person is burned alive, and we get to see the entire process happen. I'm all for disturbing imagery, but that was simply gratuitous.

Finally, watching the trailers could lead one to believe there was gonna be a lot of references to the games, but they come out more like "guest starrings", bonuses of sorts just there for fans of the games to say things like: "Wow look! That's Pyramid Head right there OMFG!!! With the knife and all!!!!11".
Sure, there are a couple of scenes from the first Silent Hill reenacted pretty nicely (but again, only the most blood-soaked ones, forget about the, let's say, classy ones); but the character cameos, such as the scene with Pyramid Head and the one with one of those shriknwrapped-burn-victims thingies from SH2, didn't have any connection to the story; nor even a reason to be there at all, in fact.

I will say, however, that the ending is quite good, and it does feel like a Silent Hill thing.

Matt Neuteboom (976) on 6/11/2006 5:20 AM · Permalink · Report

Very nice, I'm glad a true Silent Hill fan could watch it and get it. Compared with others I thought it was a good conversion, they at least did a bettr job than Doom, Alone in the Dark, and Resident Evil anyway. Im sure they could have done better though. All around, did you like it or not?

Slug Camargo (583) on 6/11/2006 9:39 PM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Matt Neuteboom wrote--]Very nice, I'm glad a true Silent Hill fan could watch it and get it. Compared with others I thought it was a good conversion, they at least did a bettr job than Doom, Alone in the Dark, and Resident Evil anyway. Im sure they could have done better though. All around, did you like it or not? [/Q --end Matt Neuteboom wrote--]

I did like it. Compared to the Hollywood horror movies of the last, say, 10 years, it is easily among the top 5 ones.
Of course, it's a B-horror movie, Session 9 or The Changeling would smack its ass badly, but it's still quite fine.

And as teh fanboi, I'll say that seeing Pyramid Head ripping through that steel door with his big-ass knife WAS bitching, no matter how artificial and out of place his presence felt ;D

Matt Neuteboom (976) on 6/15/2006 2:16 AM · Permalink · Report

Of course, it's a B-horror movie

No, I definitely don;t think its a B-movie. The acting, directing, music, and visual effects were very good. By the way they bloodily murder most video game movies, that was amzing. Its easily the best movie I've seen so far this year. You have to look at it from my view, I've never really played much of the Silent Hill series, and it really was a great. There really wasn't anything B-grade about the movie, in my opinion.

And I agree that it was kind of disturbing. I had to look away when we were seeing them burn the girl alive. There are some moments, especially when she descends into the "Hell" of Silent hill, the movie really has amzing visual appeal and is really freaky.

Slug Camargo (583) on 6/16/2006 2:15 AM · edited · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Matt Neuteboom wrote--]Of course, it's a B-horror movie

No, I definitely don;t think its a B-movie. The acting, directing, music, and visual effects were very good.

Well, I have to say I saw a cough coughscreenercough, and a really crappy one too, so that probably distorted my perception of the actual movie. I'm told it was even missing some scenes, actually.
Luckily, it's been said they'll bring it to theaters down here around september, and we're definitely going to watch it properly then.

You're right about the acting, though, they were all pretty good.

Still, my kind of horror movie is more the The Changeling kind.

Terrence Bosky (5397) on 6/16/2006 3:43 PM · Permalink · Report

I just saw an old movie called Messiah of Evil (aka Dead People, Return of the Screaming Dead, and The Second Coming). I recommend it to Silent Hill fans, it's an atmospheric horror movie about a cursed town (along the lines of The Fog).

Zovni (10504) on 6/22/2006 12:12 AM · Permalink · Report

Oh yeah baby! Uwe is BACK!!

Check out: http://www.inthenameoftheking.com/trailer_02.html

It's the trailer for Uwe Boll's next masterpiece: Dungeon Siege. C'mon...You know you want it.

Matt Neuteboom (976) on 6/22/2006 12:17 AM · Permalink · Report

That news has been out for a while but it still doesnt make it any less pathetic that this man still has a job.

Unicorn Lynx (181769) on 6/22/2006 4:27 AM · Permalink · Report

I don't understand one thing. Why do they take games with mediocre stories and make movies out of them? Why not to take a game with a really interesting story? A Gabriel Knight game for example.

chirinea (47507) on 6/22/2006 5:33 AM · edited · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Prof. ben Fuo wrote--]I don't understand one thing. Why do they take games with mediocre stories and make movies out of them? Why not to take a game with a really interesting story? A Gabriel Knight game for example. [/Q --end Prof. ben Fuo wrote--]

Just because they wouldn't sell. Resident Evil and Tomb Raider are much more appealing to "the masses" than Gabriel Knight. However, I just can't understand why making a BloodRayne film: at least in Brazil this game isn't as popular as the others aforementioned.

Shoddyan (15005) on 6/22/2006 4:21 PM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start chirinea wrote--] [Q2 --start Unicorn Lynx wrote--]I don't understand one thing. Why do they take games with mediocre stories and make movies out of them? Why not to take a game with a really interesting story? A Gabriel Knight game for example. [/Q2 --end Unicorn Lynx wrote--]

Just because they wouldn't sell. Resident Evil and Tomb Raider are much more appealing to "the masses" than Gabriel Knight. However, I just can't understand why making a BloodRayne film: at least in Brazil this game isn't as popular as the others aforementioned. [/Q --end chirinea wrote--]

It's not that it wouldn't sell. It's that all the folks scanning the theatre listings to see what's new wouldn't think "oh. Tomb Raider. I played that. Let's go see the movie". And if people weren't going to game-based movies based on hype alone, then producers might actually have to focus on content.

Zovni (10504) on 6/22/2006 10:06 PM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start chirinea wrote--] However, I just can't understand why making a BloodRayne film: at least in Brazil this game isn't as popular as the others aforementioned. [/Q --end chirinea wrote--]

Kristanna Loken's boobs are popular in every country on earth pal.

Slug Camargo (583) on 6/24/2006 3:56 AM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Unicorn Lynx wrote--]I don't understand one thing. Why do they take games with mediocre stories and make movies out of them? Why not to take a game with a really interesting story? A Gabriel Knight game for example. [/Q --end Unicorn Lynx wrote--] Rumor has it that they did try to make one, but they couldn't get the cat-hair-moustache scene to look like the one in the game (Apparently, the cat hair that got stuck to the masking tape wasn't nearly enough for a moustache, go figure), so they canned the project altogether.

Unicorn Lynx (181769) on 6/24/2006 5:13 AM · Permalink · Report

Doctor, I strongly advise you to consult a psychologist. You must have a had a childhood trauma which had something to do with cats and moustaches :-0

chirinea (47507) on 6/24/2006 7:10 AM · Permalink · Report

Maybe we should start calling him Dr. Von Katmuztache! ;)

Unicorn Lynx (181769) on 6/24/2006 7:27 AM · Permalink · Report

Sorry, but I have to correct your German: it should be "Dr. von Katzschnurrbart". That would mean exactly "cat moustache" :-)

And anyway, McGato was cooler :)~

Slug Camargo (583) on 6/24/2006 7:41 AM · edited · Permalink · Report

[Q --start chirinea wrote--]Maybe we should start calling him Dr. Von Katmuztache! ;) [/Q --end chirinea wrote--] Maybe you shouldn't.

But then, as a way to prove my good will, I might agree, starting now and until further notice, to go by the avatar pictured right.... here------------------------------------->

Man, that's a cool picture if I ever saw one.

Unicorn Lynx (181769) on 6/24/2006 7:49 AM · Permalink · Report

Astounding! One of the best avatars ever! :-)

chirinea (47507) on 6/24/2006 4:03 PM · Permalink · Report

Ah, much better than the other one!!!

Matt Neuteboom (976) on 6/26/2006 2:30 AM · Permalink · Report

Nah, I miss the old one. Thought it looked cooler.

Slug Camargo (583) on 6/27/2006 12:14 AM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Matt Neuteboom wrote--]Nah, I miss the old one. Thought it looked cooler. [/Q --end Matt Neuteboom wrote--] Of course it looked cool, man, it came straight out of Silent Hill 2's "dog" ending!!! :D

However, sometimes we just have to move on. It's called maturity. Also you should know that Herr Katzschnurrbart has a personal vendetta against that ludicrous Gabriel Kinght's puzzle, so it was only logical that we got together eventually.