🕹️ New release: Lunar Lander Beyond

Forums > MobyGames > So what are you working on?

vedder (70822) on 7/4/2010 8:07 PM · Permalink · Report

We used to have one of these topic before.

Just out of curiosity I was wondering what everybody's personal projects are here at MobyGames.

I became active here 2 years ago with the idea of adding MobyRanks for all the (mostly Dutch) magazines I own. Now 2 years later and over 200 magazines later I'm finally done! I would've been done sooner if it weren't for some 500 games that were reviewed but not yet in the database. And also at some points I got side tracked, like when I wanted to add all CD-i games to the database.

I think, for my next project I keep it similar with adding MobyRankings of Dutch magazines/sites which are available online. I already started with Power Unlimited which have a least part of their review abstracts available in an online database. Pc Gameplay (Benelux) also has a review database on their DVD, so far I haven't been able to get it to work though. I think I'll have to downgrade my laptop to an earlier Windows XP service pack to get it to work, but that might be worth the trouble for getting those early nineties windows MobyRanks still missing from PC Gameplay.

So what are you up to?

vedder (70822) on 7/4/2010 8:13 PM · Permalink · Report

Another project I'm thinking about is removing "Windows" as a platform from more or less all DOS and Windows 3.x games from around 1995-1998 where they aren't Windows games. This would require a lot of torrenting though...

formercontrib (157510) on 7/4/2010 8:45 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

Nothing special, some things i want to try...

Company release info: 7th up into the Top 4 ever ---> some day, no need to hurry. Product Codes: 5th up into the Top 3 ever ---> some day, no need...

Belong as no. 1 ever for Cover Art, Overlays and Attributes. In good hope i'm able to handle this...

Game Credits: No. 11th ever up into Top 7 ---> should be done this year. BUT MORE INTERESTING for me - with more than 1.200 different games i contributed credits for so far, i'm at Pos. 4 in this "special category" ---> Willing to be No. 1 there too ---> Should be possible, if not this - then next year...

Game release info Top 7 so far, will be hard to climb up their asap, let's see what time will bring...

Jump from 2 up to 1 ever for Developer corrections, could be happen immediately...

Some things here, some things there....

"GLOBAL" wishes:

2010: Want to be the 3rd year in a row part of the Top 2 contributors of the year. Willing to be the 2nd year in a row the No. 1 ... but Macs works hard and well! :)

I was the 1st contributor with +30.000 pts. in a year ----> i want to be now in 2010 the 1st contributor with +40.000 pts. in a year.

Trying to catch up Unicorn at the End of 2010... Willing to make Sciere sweat at the End of 2011 ---> and finally pass him in 2012 ---> smoke then some fine Cohibas, and spend the rest of my life on the sunny side of the Scoreboard!....

... so overall, nothing special, but good that you asked! ;)

With the hope the site will be on long enough...

Lain Crowley (6629) on 7/4/2010 9:13 PM · Permalink · Report

I first signed up for Moby to put together a database for my game collection, and then I started adding stuff when I found that Moby was missing games that I owned. I still have 3-4 games I own that aren't on Moby, but that and adding box art missing from Moby is mostly finished, so now I'm going through the stack of game magazines I own and adding mobyranks for them. I still have about a year of Nintendo Power Magazine left for that.

Actually at the moment I'm staying at a friend's and I'm considering scanning and uploading boxart for stuff he owns that's missing from Moby. I... might have a problem.

Lain Crowley (6629) on 7/13/2010 11:44 PM · Permalink · Report

Well, now that I'm coming to the end of my run of Nintendo Power I think I'm going to start on a new project. It looks like Moby is missing a lot of Japanese only SFC games, and some of them are pretty fun games too.

j.raido 【雷堂嬢太朗】 (95199) on 7/4/2010 9:37 PM · Permalink · Report

I've been lacking in my contribution efforts, but as always for me it's:

Add the rest of the (mostly Japanese) games I own that aren't in the system yet.

Add the rest of the (mostly Japanese) games for the Genesis/Megadrive that aren't in the system yet.

Add any credits I can get my grubby paws on.

Patrick Bregger (301035) on 7/4/2010 9:48 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

Similar to vedder my main project since joining the site was to enter the MobyRanks for all my German gaming magazines while adding every missing game. A few weeks ago I finished this for PC Player and GameStar. I also own many more magazines which I don't have access to right now, including an almost complete collection of a German Nintendo magazine (1993 - 2001) which isn't even in the database yet. If I have access to them (speak: I find a job and move into my own place) I'll continue this project.

Now I just monitor all new GameStar issues and add the MobyRanks when the games are added and enter the new games. Of course it is preferable if someone enters a new game who owns it; that's why I wait a month or so. But it looks like it boils down to one rule: If Sicarius doesn't add it, nobody will.

Besides that I have three other projects. I switch between them in regular intervals so I don't grow tired of them.

1) I go alphabetically through the database and read all entries. Besides the obvious benefit of learning about interesting games I fix everything I see: missing game groups, missing companies in the release info, wrong titles, alternate titles, missing ad blurbs...

2) Adding printed advertisements from the above mentioned magazines

3) Processing all things I stumbled across while working on the above mentioned projects. I saved everything I found during research which I didn't want to add at the moment: missing review websites, missing games in developer's game libraries, free games, etc. Right now I am downloading a lot of demos to add credits.

Unicorn Lynx (181775) on 7/5/2010 4:40 AM · Permalink · Report

Initially I joined MobyGames (in 2001, man, I can't believe it's been 9 years!) for reviewing purposes only. Soon thereafter I discovered the joy of capturing screenshots, and became the Top Contributor of my first year.

Later, I started focusing on adding new entries, mostly Japanese-only ones. My most important contributions are in this field. I'm particularly proud of all those descriptions I wrote from scratch, translating stories from intros to those obscure games :)

I'm also proud of having added a complete library of PC-FX games.

My current project involves rounding up the PC-98 database. With 2000+ more games to add, that's going to be one hell of work.

Looking forward to pleasant co-operation with Raidou Jotarou (djsw), who has already started a similar project for PC-88 :)

Hoping that Iggy Drougge will return to the site, and Kaminari will become more active. We need experts in Japanese!

Next project, theoretically, will involve the future platform FM-Towns and Sharp x6800.

I'd also love to complete TurboGrafx CD and Sega Saturn libraries.

Havoc Crow (29859) on 7/5/2010 6:25 AM · edited · Permalink · Report

MobyRanks from my home country, too.

Also, hope to add a bunch of

1. shareware/freeware games that may be available in only one or two places on the Internet

and 2. Polish games for 8-bit computers, especially Atari XL/XE.

But that all will have to wait until I go into another MobyGames "rush" - for now, other things distract me. That might take years.

MegamanX64 (16003) on 7/5/2010 8:20 AM · Permalink · Report

Most of my points come from adding credits. I think this is the most interesting part of Mobygames besides the actual game database. Whenever I see a place where credits might be (video/manual/etc) I always look up the game on moby to see if it is missing credits. I have a lot of sites I visit to get new credit material.

Also, covers and new games for things in my collections or surrounding.

A future project is mobyrank for old Swedish magazines.

Parf (7873) on 7/5/2010 1:54 PM · Permalink · Report

I'm sad to say that I'm more or less on hold with any sort of contributing at the moment. I'm super busy trying to get everything in order for our baby (C section the 15th of July). And also, my only way of getting online is an antique laptop which is kind of broken. So, I'm lukcy if it even decides to let me get online at all.

As soon as the baby's here and things calm down a little, I'll try to scout out a new computer and get back to some contributing in some of my main fields (Ps1 games, 360 Indie Games as well as moby ranks from swedish gaming magazines).

The time I've had lately to relax has mostly been focused on playing Xbox 360, so at least my Gamer Score has gone up a little in the mean time. ;)

Starbuck the Third (22606) on 7/9/2010 2:03 PM · Permalink · Report

I tend to concentrate on one contribution field at a time. I tend to rotate between product codes, release info, tech info and the odd peice of cover art i find to contribute between them.

Sciere (930490) on 7/13/2010 11:39 PM · Permalink · Report

I'm going to work on XBLA games this summer.

Evil Ryu (66052) on 7/14/2010 2:06 AM · edited · Permalink · Report

Well, I'm finally trying to reach 40,000 points this year. And it will not be for lack of submissions (credits, to be more exact): recently I've used my sis' PC (who is a bit more powerful than mine), bought/borrowed some games and used PCSX2 lots of times! Another goal is to re-invest in fighting games screenshots: I'm missing this... =)

chirinea (47495) on 8/7/2010 10:21 PM · Permalink · Report

I finally started submitting screenshots for Zeebo games. Thanks to the help given me by you guys in that other thread I guess I came up with acceptable screenshots for the system. It will take a while so I can submit screenshots for all the games I have because the whole process is really time-consuming and time is one commodity I'm lacking these days.

vedder (70822) on 8/28/2010 11:28 AM · Permalink · Report

Three things currently on my todo list:
1) Finish the Power Unlimited MobyRanks, still many years to go. And I'm running in quite a few 90s console games not yet in the database that I'll have to add first
2) I'm going through all mid 90s DOS games in an attempt to find out if some are incorrectly marked as Windows 95/3.x also. Which is quite a lot of work, but I'll get there...
3) Now that the iPad is live, I have some backlog of games I had intended to add

Indra was here (20755) on 8/28/2010 2:02 PM · Permalink · Report

Seem to have lost the mood to do anything recently. Must be one of those days...

Parf (7873) on 8/28/2010 3:16 PM · Permalink · Report

I want to sink my teeth in the remaining Xbox 360 Indie Games, but in order for that to happen, I'd need a babyectomy first. I did manage to submit one using only one hand for typing and mouse jiggling. Good thing it didn't need a long description. ;)

Foxhack (32100) on 8/28/2010 5:39 PM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Parf wrote--]I did manage to submit one using only one hand for typing and mouse jiggling. Good thing it didn't need a long description. ;) [/Q --end Parf wrote--]Ah, Indra taught you well.

Parf (7873) on 8/28/2010 6:30 PM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Foxhack wrote--]Ah, Indra taught you well.[/Q --end Foxhack wrote--]

lol! :p

j.raido 【雷堂嬢太朗】 (95199) on 8/28/2010 11:37 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Parf wrote--]I want to sink my teeth in the remaining Xbox 360 Indie Games. [/Q --end Parf wrote--] I've been checking the new releases for these every day or two for the last month or so, grabbing anything that looks interesting, but I haven't been nearly as good about actually writing them up. I've got something like 80 or 90 demos sitting on here just waiting. I did almost a dozen today, though, and I may do even more later.

There's only so much one can take of describing games like these.

I suppose my project right now is to clear out all the demos I've got sitting on here, and clear some space off the disk. :P

Edit: And now I have 17 XNA Indies pending. Go motivation! Woo!

Parf (7873) on 8/29/2010 9:55 AM · Permalink · Report

I'm actually focusing on the "leftovers" which look not so good, since I know you're on the case with the actual good games in there. One of my latest submissions was "Jump Duck" for example. Not exactly the pinnacle of gaming. :p

j.raido 【雷堂嬢太朗】 (95199) on 8/29/2010 10:03 AM · edited · Permalink · Report

Hey now, I don't want to leave you with just the scraps! If you see anything that looks interesting, go for it. There's a lot of highly-rated games on there that I simply have no interest in. I can send you a list of what demos I've got waiting if you really want to avoid duplicating effort, though I can't promise I'll ever actually get to any specific ones. Likewise, feel free to claim anything you want, I've got more than enough to tackle. ;)

As for Jump Duck, how about Hurdle Turtle? :D

Parf (7873) on 8/29/2010 9:33 PM · Permalink · Report

Well... I'm kind of lazy sometimes. The scraps tend to be quicker and easier since they hardly ever have a lot of gameplay mechanics or stages to try before I submit it here. Start it, have a go for 5 minutes and bam all you need to know is there in front of you. ;)

Although, I might actually submit some good ones here and there. With 1200 some games I don't think we'll be stepping on each other's toes, so I don't think the list is needed for now. :)

Indra was here (20755) on 8/29/2010 11:03 PM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Parf wrote--]Although, I might actually submit some good ones here and there. With 1200 some games I don't think we'll be stepping on each other's toes, so I don't think the list is needed for now. :) [/Q --end Parf wrote--]So many games to add and yet ironically, the ones I want to add always seem to be there first. Tough competition for hentai games. :p

j.raido 【雷堂嬢太朗】 (95199) on 8/30/2010 12:56 AM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Parf wrote--]Although, I might actually submit some good ones here and there. With 1200 some games I don't think we'll be stepping on each other's toes, so I don't think the list is needed for now. :) [/Q --end Parf wrote--] Does that 1200 figure include the 600 or so screen savers, "massage" apps, clocks, calendars, and music visualizers, though? :P

But yeah, I see what you mean. Assuming there's a relatively quick turnaround on them getting added, it's unlikely there will be too much duplicated effort going on.

Parf (7873) on 9/2/2010 5:20 PM · Permalink · Report

I now have 6 more Indie Games sitting in the queue. All of them... well... not A Grade games. ;)

vedder (70822) on 9/5/2010 11:25 AM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start vedder wrote--]2) I'm going through all mid 90s DOS games in an attempt to find out if some are incorrectly marked as Windows 95/3.x also. Which is quite a lot of work, but I'll get there...[/Q --end vedder wrote--]

Worked my way up from 1990 through 1995. About 50 platform corrections (mostly removals) already pending. I'm expecting this number to at least double while I sift through 96 and 97.

vedder (70822) on 9/12/2010 9:12 PM · Permalink · Report

Took a short break from this. Think I'll save this job for when I'm at my parents' place. Faster Internet there so I can quickly download ISOs to look at what kind of executables those games have to offer.

This weekend worked on the Power Unlimited MobyRanks some more. 8 new games pending, 150 MobyRanks nearly as many MobyRank corrections. Just some ~2000 more to go... :S Not the most fun I've had here. Remind me why I'm doing this again?

Parf (7873) on 9/13/2010 1:27 PM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start vedder wrote--]Took a short break from this. Think I'll save this job for when I'm at my parents' place. Faster Internet there so I can quickly download ISOs to look at what kind of executables those games have to offer.

This weekend worked on the Power Unlimited MobyRanks some more. 8 new games pending, 150 MobyRanks nearly as many MobyRank corrections. Just some ~2000 more to go... :S Not the most fun I've had here. Remind me why I'm doing this again? [/Q --end vedder wrote--]

My wife has given me plenty of rolled eyes over all of my typing to enter all Super Play reviews. In her defense, I don't know why I do it either to be quite honest. :p

MZ per X (3017) on 9/19/2010 6:42 AM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start vedder wrote--] Worked my way up from 1990 through 1995. About 50 platform corrections (mostly removals) already pending. I'm expecting this number to at least double while I sift through 96 and 97. [/Q --end vedder wrote--] You can delete Birthright from your list. I just checked the CD and it's a real hybrid release. 2 installers, 2 executables, it's all there.

j.raido 【雷堂嬢太朗】 (95199) on 9/4/2010 10:33 PM · Permalink · Report

After gorging myself on indie games and getting sick of them, I've gone back to the Genesis/Megadrive stuff to fill in some gaps. Specifically, Japanese alt titles. Loooooots of them. :)

Starbuck the Third (22606) on 9/5/2010 1:18 PM · Permalink · Report

Recently started going through the xbox.com games catalogue, adding the ad-blurbs from the games listed there. Currently on page 6 of 113....

Lain Crowley (6629) on 9/5/2010 3:00 PM · Permalink · Report

Oh, hey, speaking of, does anyone know what the best database of Xbox games, NA, EU, JAP, and Asia is? I checked the american xbox.com and it's even missing a lot of american releases, and of course none of the official xbox.com sites will list ever all region's releases. Gamefaqs is the most complete list I've seen, and I have the nagging feeling that it's missing a few titles too (considering how a year ago it didn't even have Outrun2)

Parf (7873) on 9/5/2010 4:22 PM · Permalink · Report

www.vgrebirth.com is pretty good as well. Not sure how complete it is, but it does list a whole lot of stuff.

Oh, and to get back on topic; I'm still trying to slowly add 360 Indie Games, but I also figured I'd try to add the complete Square Millenium Collection for the ps1. So far I'm done with... one game! :p

Foxhack (32100) on 9/5/2010 6:42 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Parf wrote--]www.vgrebirth.com is pretty good as well. Not sure how complete it is, but it does list a whole lot of stuff.[/Q --end Parf wrote--]VGRebirth has what is perhaps THE most complete listing of console games available anywhere. Their database dwarfs MobyGames by a metric ton, but they don't concern themselves with screenshots or game descriptions; their primary interest is documenting releases, their ratings, and product codes. I used to be friends with one of the site's founders and, at least when it comes to foreign games, their database is an exceptional resource. If anything it's a good starting point.

I don't know if they've kept up with modern consoles, though. I remember they had some odd gaps in their PS2 listings a while back.

Lain Crowley (6629) on 9/5/2010 7:18 PM · Permalink · Report

Yeah, their Asia and SK release lists for Xbox are vacant, and the AU list is pretty bare. JP seems complete though. Though I guess it's probably hoping too much to find an already complete Asia and SK release list in English.

j.raido 【雷堂嬢太朗】 (95199) on 9/5/2010 7:47 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

The JP Xbox lists are complete. I know this because I used to be staff at VGR, and I put them in myself, by hand. :) Same with the PS1 and MD/MCD/32X lists, and possibly a few others but I can't recall exactly. Though this was before I knew much Japanese, so romanizations may be a little wonky in places.

Ah, the days of going to community college and having hours and hours and hours to burn every day doing pointless stuff like that. Unlike a normal person who would go out drinking and get laid, I sat at home doing data entry.

MZ per X (3017) on 9/6/2010 7:53 AM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start 雷堂承太朗 -djsw- wrote--] Ah, the days of going to community college and having hours and hours and hours to burn every day doing pointless stuff like that. Unlike a normal person who would go out drinking and get laid, I sat at home doing data entry. [/Q --end 雷堂承太朗 -djsw- wrote--] Video games stole our youth, but we love them nonetheless.

Parf (7873) on 9/6/2010 8:50 AM · Permalink · Report

I just finished up submitting all of the Square Millennium Collection games! Yay! :)

Indra was here (20755) on 9/5/2010 5:23 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

Manual, boring, und repetitive trivia and description revisions including:

• Typo fixes;
  • Italicizing game titles;
  • Changing subjects (i.e. you) to third person (i.e. the player);
  • Adding internal links;
  • Removing external links;
  • Removing developer and publisher information from game descriptions;
  • Removing game group links from game descriptions;
  • Fixing invisible double spacings;
  • Fixing double paragraph breaks;
  • Removing subjective content (e.g. classic);
  • Revising incomplete title names to full title names (i.e. Warcraft III: Reign of ChaosWarcraft instead of Warcraft III);
  • Keep forgetting to fix all of the above.

Foxhack (32100) on 9/14/2010 9:04 PM · Permalink · Report

Adding all missing Windows Sega Genesis games and their cover art. Also looking into their ratings.

Parf (7873) on 9/15/2010 11:25 PM · Permalink · Report

I have two games sitting in the queue right now. One is a small flash game I found by accident as I was adding Xbox Indie Games, and the other one is a pretty well... It's an ABC learning game for toddlers for the 360. I'm adding all the Triple A titles around here, that much is obvious. ;)

leilei (343) on 9/16/2010 3:08 AM · edited · Permalink · Report

Much neglected mac versions of games. The differences are usually an ahead-of-the-time 640x480 mode (interesting for 1994-1995 releases), a digital soundtrack, and sometimes a reduced color palette (usually the first 16 indexes arranged elsewhere to make the basic system interface show up properly)

There's no active mac approver is there? No wonder Snood is listed as a >1999 Windows / GBA / iPhone only release (it had 1.0 out on the mac on 1996 and was a very popular Mac shareware game. Snood is the most eregious macignorance example I know of here)

Zerobrain (3052) on 9/24/2010 9:50 AM · edited · Permalink · Report

I've got are several projects.

Primarily I search through my collection of PC games to add missing information on MobyGames. This includes:

• Game Entries
  • Release Info
  • Rating Systems
  • Cover Art
  • Tech Specs
  • Credits

My second active project is to provide Rankings from gamecaptain.de. My goal is to contribute at least those reviews I did myself (about 100 during the last 10 years). - update: almost done

Subsequently I will try provide missing AdBlurbs from my collection. A nice future project would be to go through my C64 Collection. And I will definitely process my stack of PC Magazines from the 90th.

formercontrib (157510) on 9/24/2010 11:36 AM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Zerobrain wrote--] My second active project is to provide Rankings from gamecaptain.de. My goal is to contribute at least those reviews I did myself (about 100 during the last 10 years). [/Q --end Zerobrain wrote--]

Sounds like the reviews of Gamecaptain are user-provided ?? ... Hmmm, hopefully noone of our "MobyRank Approver-Masters" reads this... has the potential to get the next Ranking aferwards-rejection :(

Patrick Bregger (301035) on 9/24/2010 12:04 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

Just because Christian Schmidt is a MobyGames user/contributor doesn't make his reviews for GameStar user-content:) I think the same idea applies here.

Zerobrain (3052) on 9/24/2010 4:24 PM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Patrick Bregger wrote--]Just because Christian Schmidt is a MobyGames user/contributor doesn't make his reviews for GameStar user-content:) I think the same idea applies here. [/Q --end Patrick Bregger wrote--] You got it!

[Q2 --start joyvalley wrote--] Sounds like the reviews of Gamecaptain are user-provided ?? ... Hmmm, hopefully noone of our "MobyRank Approver-Masters" reads this... has the potential to get the next Ranking aferwards-rejection :( [/Q2 --end joyvalley wrote--] As Patrick indicated I'm working as regular editor at GameCaptain.de, though it's a rather semi-professional magazine. Except the Chief-Editor all other Editors (including myself) work on a spare time freelance base.

Actually the site features user-provided reviews too, but I wasn't referring to these.

formercontrib (157510) on 9/24/2010 6:17 PM · Permalink · Report

Christian Schmidt - hard enough that reviewers of that quality find entrance into the holy MobyRanks. GameStar overall should been banned from here or renamed at least to PaidbypublisherStar, but ok.

Hmm, are those user-reviews at GameCaptain are marked explicitly as User reviews, can they been separated from Staff reviews easily ??

Zerobrain (3052) on 9/24/2010 10:38 PM · Permalink · Report

User-Reviews are captioned "Lesertests" and are typically one pagers with a pro and contra list at the end. The rating ranges from 1 up to 10 points. They are embedded in a page titled "Artikel und Bewertungen zum Spiel [Game Title] ([platform]) @GameCaptain.de:"
. In contrast Staff reviews have got at least two pages. The last page is always the conclusion and rating ("Fazit/Wertung"). The page title has the pattern "[Game Title] | Testbericht / Review ([page]) | GameCaptain.de:". The rating of Staff reviews ranges from 0 to 100 and should (but not necessarily has to) reflect the sum of 5 genre specific categories ranging from 0 to 20. Staff reviews haven't got a pro and contra list, but that my change in future revisions of the editing system.

Example: Shattered Horizon

Patrick Bregger (301035) on 9/25/2010 6:23 AM · Permalink · Report

These user reviews are clearly marked as user reviews, no problem there. And as you can see in the current job offers employees get payed for their work. I don't see a reason to question that gamecaptain.de is a valid MobyRank source.

Indra was here (20755) on 9/27/2010 10:24 AM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Patrick Bregger wrote--]And as you can see in the current job offers employees get payed for their work. [/Q --end Patrick Bregger wrote--] How come we don't have a similar link? :)

MZ per X (3017) on 9/25/2010 6:52 PM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Zerobrain wrote--] [Q2 --start Patrick Bregger wrote--] [/Q2 --end Patrick Bregger wrote--] [Q3 --start joyvalley wrote--] [/Q3 --end joyvalley wrote--] [/Q --end Zerobrain wrote--] Huh, did Brian fix this annoying quoting bug?

Zerobrain (3052) on 9/26/2010 9:24 PM · Permalink · Report

I don't know what bug you're talking about. I just used the proposed quotation levels (Q and Q2) and everything looked fine...

By the way: I had hoped to get at lest a few responses to my WIP post, but never imagined them to lead in such obscure directions as questioning ranking sources and discovering bug fixes in the quotation system ;-)

MZ per X (3017) on 9/27/2010 7:29 AM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start wrote--]I don't know what bug you're talking about. I just used the proposed quotation levels (Q and Q2) and everything looked fine...[/Q --end wrote--] [Q2 --start wrote--] I don't know what bug you're talking about. I just used the proposed quotation levels (Q and Q2) and everything looked fine...[/Q2 --end wrote--] [Q3 --start wrote--] I don't know what bug you're talking about. I just used the proposed quotation levels (Q and Q2) and everything looked fine...[/Q3 --end wrote--] [Q4 --start wrote--] I don't know what bug you're talking about. I just used the proposed quotation levels (Q and Q2) and everything looked fine...[/Q4 --end wrote--] [Q5 --start wrote--] I don't know what bug you're talking about. I just used the proposed quotation levels (Q and Q2) and everything looked fine...[/Q5 --end wrote--] Yippee - now I understand the Moby forums quotation level system. Thanks Zerobrain, you are pure genius. =)

[Q --start Ye Olde Genius Zerobrain wrote--]By the way: I had hoped to get at lest a few responses to my WIP post, but never imagined them to lead in such obscure directions as questioning ranking sources and discovering bug fixes in the quotation system ;-)[/Q --end Ye Olde Genius Zerobrain wrote--]Just get used to it. It's a very diverse bunch of people here, so guessing the responses a post of yours will spawn is nigh impossible. :o)

Indra was here (20755) on 9/27/2010 10:28 AM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start MZ per X wrote--] [Q2 --start Zerobrain wrote--]By the way: I had hoped to get at lest a few responses to my WIP post, but never imagined them to lead in such obscure directions as questioning ranking sources and discovering bug fixes in the quotation system ;-) [/Q2 --end Zerobrain wrote--]Just get used to it. It's a very diverse bunch of people here, so guessing the responses a post of yours will spawn is nigh impossible. :o) [/Q --end MZ per X wrote--]

Aye. We have an unwritten rule that staying 'on-topic' is exclusively used for extremely dull individuals. :p

Zerobrain (3052) on 9/28/2010 9:21 AM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Bhatara Dewa Indra I wrote--] Aye. We have an unwritten rule that staying 'on-topic' is exclusively used for extremely dull individuals. :p [/Q --end Bhatara Dewa Indra I wrote--] Ah, I see! But my nick should have warned you guys about my personification of the possibly most extreme dullness in the first place! ;-)

Starbuck the Third (22606) on 10/12/2010 9:51 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

[Q --start havoc of smeg wrote--] Recently started going through the xbox.com games catalogue, adding the ad-blurbs from the games listed there. Currently on page 6 of 113....[/Q --end havoc of smeg wrote--]

Right, that's done. Now the same thing except with the XBL indie games, adding any games missing from MobyGames, of which theres probably a few.

vedder (70822) on 10/13/2010 7:34 AM · Permalink · Report

Not doing much at all, contributing-wise at the moment. I did quite some approving last week (during dead moments at work), but I'm spending too much time on Minecraft to do any contributing (although I did submit Minecraft and Minecraft Classic for approval). Now we just moved to a new location due to our company merging with W! Games, so it's a bit hectic now. Taking a week vacation to Rome starting Friday.

Starbuck the Third (22606) on 12/2/2010 8:11 PM · Permalink · Report

Got bored of indie games a while back, now. just finished doing some product codes and I'm now turning my attention to a spot of screenshot contribution, along with any other bits and bobs i might stumble across.

Klaster_1 (57612) on 12/2/2010 7:33 PM · Permalink · Report

I'm currently adding new releases by 1C, covers from my archive and some games. The goal is to hit 20k by the New Year.

Klaster_1 (57612) on 12/5/2010 9:36 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

Whew, almost done. I wonder how long will it take to approve the whole bunch.

<hr>

Ahh :)

Michael B (303) on 12/3/2010 11:33 PM · Permalink · Report

I am currently working on something that I've wanted to do for a long time. Rewrite all of my short and crappy reviews from early on in my Moby membership.

Parf (7873) on 12/4/2010 8:57 PM · Permalink · Report

I'm working on going on a proper vacation for the first time in two years. :)

Indra was here (20755) on 12/4/2010 9:16 PM · Permalink · Report

I just attempted to chase 2-3 robbers who suddenly showed up in my lawn at 4 o'clock in the morning. I wish I had a bigger machete...and a healthier set of lungs. :p

DJP Mom (11333) on 12/6/2010 2:35 AM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Bhatara Dewa Indra I wrote--]I just attempted to chase 2-3 robbers who suddenly showed up in my lawn at 4 o'clock in the morning. I wish I had a bigger machete...and a healthier set of lungs. :p [/Q --end Bhatara Dewa Indra I wrote--] SEE? Quit smoking! ;)

Indra was here (20755) on 12/6/2010 3:03 AM · Permalink · Report

Sure, mom. That'll work. :p

It has nothing to do with my smoking. Has everything to do with my inability to quit smoking. :)

j.raido 【雷堂嬢太朗】 (95199) on 12/4/2010 9:50 PM · Permalink · Report

I've started going through all the PC Engine games on file and adding any credits I can find. Been translating lots of Japanese names.

Of course, it doesn't help that Oleg adds like a dozen more every week. Do I shovel sand to live, or do I live to shovel sand? :P

Unicorn Lynx (181775) on 12/5/2010 2:53 AM · Permalink · Report

Of course, it doesn't help that Oleg adds like a dozen more every week.

I'm just supplying you with new credits material :)

Indra was here (20755) on 12/5/2010 2:42 PM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start 雷堂承太朗 -djsw- wrote--]Do I shovel sand to live, or do I live to shovel sand? :P [/Q --end 雷堂承太朗 -djsw- wrote--]The later. The first still implies we have a life. :p

Patrick Bregger (301035) on 12/4/2010 10:20 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

I am a bit burned out. My approving and contribution duties are practically on ice because I just can't motivate myself for it :(. The only thing that manages to keep me going is my eternal love: credits. I found a site which collects a lot of video walkthroughs and horrible Youtube "Let's Play"s - a splendid credits source.

Sciere (930490) on 12/4/2010 10:22 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

It's a thing that's shunned away lots of people in the past. Contributing and approving can be a chore when you force yourself to go through lines and lines of work just to keep up. If your well-known gründlichkeit prevents you from doing that, only contribute/approve fun/easy stuff for a while, and the energy then returns after a bit.

formercontrib (157510) on 12/4/2010 10:34 PM · Permalink · Report

When there is no way forward, milk some sweet bunnies to the hilt, nothing else restores powers better. Afterwards you're fresh and motivated for Moby like a truffle pig! and don't forget as long as you are in Metal, nothing can stop you.

GAMEBOY COLOR! (1990) on 12/5/2010 2:28 AM · Permalink · Report

I'm getting ready to add some old flash games and PS1 screenshots. Screenshots will probably come first. I'm also going to review at least one game before the year is over.

vedder (70822) on 1/2/2011 9:36 PM · Permalink · Report

While making my graph in the other thread I noticed that the oldest 2 platforms in our database (Odyssey and Channel F are more or less complete when it comes to number of games documented), however the third oldest system in our database: the Commodore PET, is still missing a lot of games. So I have decided to work on that. it's a bit more rewarding work than the platform corrections and MobyRanks I was working on earlier this year (and which I still haven't finished yet, because it's just so boring...).

5 games already pending. Less than 300 to go I think. Luckily making screenshots for games from the late 70s and early 80s only requires minimal time before you have a comprehensive set.

j.raido 【雷堂嬢太朗】 (95199) on 1/2/2011 10:38 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

[Q --start vedder wrote--]earlier this year[/Q --end vedder wrote--]Huh? Already got bored of it yesterday? :P

Still shoveling the sand here. Currently 138 TGCD games with no credits, and probably at least a quarter of those will have none anyway. =|

vedder (70822) on 1/4/2011 4:14 PM · Permalink · Report

Whoops, still mentally living in 2010. :)

Anyway, the first 7 PET games are approved thanks to Kabushi and Servo.

I'm going to try to keep up about 2 games a day with credits and screenshots. Since they are simple games, this should be doable.

vedder (70822) on 1/30/2011 4:53 PM · Permalink · Report

Of the 12 ROMs with PET games I downloaded 3 are currently submitted (not all approved yet). So I should be roughly at 25%. Although, of course those roms don't contain all games for the platform, it'll be near impossible for me to document anything else. When I'm done with this I hope to have documented about 300 of ~400-500 known PET games.

j.raido 【雷堂嬢太朗】 (95199) on 1/30/2011 9:10 PM · Permalink · Report

Cool, that's still a hell of a lot more coverage than we had before. :)

I've successfully managed to get the number of TGCD games missing credits down to double digits -- 97 right now. Oleg needs to get back to submitting those games as I'm running low on stuff that both has credits and has a full playthrough on Nico Douga. :)

Unicorn Lynx (181775) on 1/31/2011 5:25 AM · Permalink · Report

Oleg needs to get back to submitting those games

Not in the near future, I'm afraid... :) I'm trying to actually play some of those games :)

j.raido 【雷堂嬢太朗】 (95199) on 1/31/2011 5:36 AM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start חד-קרן·山猫 wrote--]Not in the near future, I'm afraid... :) I'm trying to actually play some of those games :) [/Q --end חד-קרן·山猫 wrote--] Well, if you happen to play through any that I don't find credits for... ;)

Indra was here (20755) on 2/1/2011 8:20 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

Just submitted a collector's edition game (that apparently doesn't have the original game in the database yet). Noticed that after you've submitted an entry, they said they'll send us a confirmation letter notifying its approval.

I want my hardcopy letter! :p

BurningStickMan (17916) on 1/31/2011 3:53 AM · Permalink · Report

PS1 and PS2 hardware captures are done for now.

Wii is next, then Sega CD, then 32X.

If I haven't lost my patience for it by then, PS3 then Xbox360.

piltdown_man (236165) on 2/3/2011 12:38 AM · Permalink · Report

I've abandoned plans to play all games on their original hardware in favour of releasing storage space and minimising domestic friction. So I'm downsizing my collection and my project is to load all my old games onto the database prior to disposing of them.
I have just about finished the Spectrum games and have a box ready to go. The MSX games are ready to go too.
I'm part way through my C64 games and will soon be able to get at the boxes of Amiga and Amstrad games. I hope to have disposed of everything other than DOS & Windows games by the end of the year.

Alongside this I have a collection of shareware games from the 1990's that I'm planning to load but that's a long term project that will probably take a couple of years.

Patrick Bregger (301035) on 2/9/2011 6:03 PM · Permalink · Report

Still working on the credits from this walkthrough website. I just noticed that we have apparently no one who adds credits to newer PS3 games. I have like 13 PS3 credit sets (not counting the unreadable ones) and I didn't even reach the end of "F". (I'm saving the PC section for last)

formercontrib (157510) on 2/9/2011 7:58 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Patrick Bregger wrote--]from this walkthrough website. [/Q --end Patrick Bregger wrote--]

this walkthrough website ??

I like walkthrough sites, speed-runs, andsoon - sounds like a site for my favorites... How sings the dove? URL-URL-URL ;)

Patrick Bregger (301035) on 2/9/2011 8:07 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

http://www.gameanyone.com/

But it is only a collection of youtube videos, more or less. The main advantage is that they categorize the videos after systems.

formercontrib (157510) on 2/9/2011 8:41 PM · Permalink · Report

Bookmarked, be bethanxt :)

BurningStickMan (17916) on 2/9/2011 10:38 PM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Patrick Bregger wrote--]I just noticed that we have apparently no one who adds credits to newer PS3 games. [/Q --end Patrick Bregger wrote--]

Once the credits have more than about 100 people in them, or start lasting more than 2-3 minutes, I just don't have the patience for it.

Klaster_1 (57612) on 2/10/2011 2:58 AM · Permalink · Report

Very true, you should have incredible patience to add something like console GTA or Call of Duty credits. Stretching the job for several days help a lot, though.

j.raido 【雷堂嬢太朗】 (95199) on 2/10/2011 4:10 AM · Permalink · Report

Finished adding all the TGCD credits I could find. I've got a pretty good lead on top credits contributor for the year so far, now. :)

Not really sure what to attack next, though. Could start doing Japanese PSP games, but there's not a whole lot of approver activity in the PSP queue (some pretty simple credits pending since December, for one...and also one of those translated sets nobody but Oleg and Sciere ever touches).

Patrick Bregger (301035) on 2/10/2011 7:40 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

I just added the PS3 credits for Modern Warfare 2 and they are pretty small for a AAA project like this. I don't think more than 800 names or so. Alone the North American Customer Support section of StarCraft II has more...

But the most annoying of all are music credits. I really don't like to add those.

Patrick Bregger (301035) on 2/17/2011 8:28 PM · Permalink · Report

A big thanks to Jeanne for approving my StarCraft II credits. Even without a WIP first. A whooping 1107 points! A week well spent.

But on the other hand I just wasted 20 minutes with making screenshots of a credits sequence just to discover that the video maker cut it just before the end.

Sciere (930490) on 2/17/2011 8:46 PM · Permalink · Report

My, what a list of names... Once you get down to 500 names it already takes forever for the page to reapper after clicking "update", no wonder it took you a week.

Patrick Bregger (301035) on 2/17/2011 8:57 PM · Permalink · Report

This is a big problem with Firefox (especially when editing names) but with Opera it goes much smoother.

vedder (70822) on 2/17/2011 9:04 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

o_O

Also, I continued contributing PET games again after a 10 day hiatus due to some more important stuff. Hopefully I can pick up the pace for a bit now to return to schedule!

vedder (70822) on 4/10/2011 12:21 PM · Permalink · Report

Not on schedule, but I just reached the half-way mark concerning the Commodore PET ROM pack I downloaded.

j.raido 【雷堂嬢太朗】 (95199) on 2/18/2011 5:26 AM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Patrick Bregger wrote--]A big thanks to Jeanne for approving my StarCraft II credits. Even without a WIP first. A whooping 1107 points! A week well spent.

But on the other hand I just wasted 20 minutes with making screenshots of a credits sequence just to discover that the video maker cut it just before the end. [/Q --end Patrick Bregger wrote--] People who have worked on this game have also collaborated on the creation of the following games:
World of Warcraft: Wrath of the Lich King, a group of 1668 people

That just blows my mind right there.

Kabushi (261212) on 2/18/2011 10:56 AM · Permalink · Report

It's 4418 credits in total. That's almost four Metal Gear Solid 4's, which in itself is huge.

vedder (70822) on 2/18/2011 11:34 AM · Permalink · Report

Most credits I submitted lately are in the 2.25 to 2.50 range :)

Indra was here (20755) on 2/18/2011 12:37 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

So who holds the record of having the utmost no life in the a single credit listing then? Is StarCraft II the new record or is there still another game that has bigger credits?

Note: We really should have an achievement section that notes these type of accomplishments.

E.g.

[Gold Star] Holder of the largest credit submission in MobyGame existence.
[Silver Star] Contributor of at least two largest credit submissions [1932, 2412].
[Bronze Star] Holder of the largest credit submission in 1932.
[Colorless Star] Has contributed first credit submission.

Patrick Bregger (301035) on 2/18/2011 1:21 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

According to Sicarius's biography his credits for GTA 4 were the record holder back then (882 points, 3540 names).

Indra was here (20755) on 2/18/2011 1:40 PM · Permalink · Report

scratches head

Three thousand people for a game? Somehow that just feels weird.

Daniel Saner (3503) on 2/19/2011 2:57 PM · Permalink · Report

Hundreds of voice actors, hundreds of motion capture actors, hundreds of testers (speaking for the Windows version: what the F$ç% were they getting paid for?), plus they seem to have insisted on listing everyone working in publishing and marketing at Rockstar. And they also include all artists included in the soundtrack.

beetle120 (2415) on 2/21/2011 12:14 PM · Permalink · Report

They where also making a new RAGE engine for the game, which is a pretty big thing in itself. $100 million budget can mean a lot of employees.

j.raido 【雷堂嬢太朗】 (95199) on 3/23/2011 4:09 AM · edited · Permalink · Report

I started going through the NES games on file looking for incorrect developer and publisher listings.

There's a lot of them. Only done through D and already just shy of 60 corrections pending. Mostly previously-unknown Japanese developers, or incorrect regional publishers. Corn Popper has been a good sport the last few days though, approving my oldest corrections at about the same rate I've been adding to the pile. :)

Patrick Bregger (301035) on 3/25/2011 8:48 PM · Permalink · Report

Finally done with those PS3 sets. Next up: PSP

Parf (7873) on 3/28/2011 8:41 PM · Permalink · Report

I'm slowly trying to wade through the Ps2 approval queue. X_x

My own projects are limited to trying to make my backlog smaller at the moment. I also have a couple of Ps1, Dreamcast and 360 Indie Games which I need to add whenever I feel motivated enough.

Patrick Bregger (301035) on 5/7/2011 4:33 PM · Permalink · Report

I finished contributing those youtube credits.

Next goal: Becoming #1 ad blurb contributor.