🕹️ New release: Lunar Lander Beyond

Forums > MobyGames > The origin of your nicknames.

Michael B (303) on 8/27/2006 12:41 PM · Permalink · Report

I have been dying to know how you came up with your nicknames, when you first became a member of MobyGames? My nickname is from the game Crash Bandicoot (the character N. Gin), as you probably have figured out.

Unicorn Lynx (181775) on 8/27/2006 1:36 PM · Permalink · Report

I tried to change my nickname many times, I actually find "Unicorn Lynx" very silly... but I'm used to it now, so probably I won't change it.

Unicorn is a kind of a "character" from the game Gabriel Knight III (we were just speaking about it in the other thread, LOL).

Lynx is the villain of Chrono Cross.

I like animals very much, so I chose a nickname composed of two game-related animals.

chirinea (47495) on 8/27/2006 2:37 PM · Permalink · Report

There's no mystery about mine, since it is my last name, in lower case and no accents: Chirinéa. It wasn't supposed to be a nickname, since I thought it would be just my login here. But I'm glad with it, since the name Chirinéa isn't common in any place of the world.

Sciere (930490) on 8/27/2006 2:46 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

Sciere is the latin verb for "to know", but also a very old dialect word formerly used in the region where I live, meaning "hardly". And also, according to some weird mails I get, an obscure Italian surname.

Other nicknames used, once (from old to new, mainly during the timeframe of all Quake multiplayer series): Wisp, Wishful, Larian, Alpha, Ravager, Rav^, Useless.

Koroner (147) on 8/27/2006 3:11 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

[q]And also, according to some weird mails I get, an obscure Italian surname.[/q] I've never heard of such a surname. Maybe it was in the past. Still there are thousands of minor surnames in my language (as in any language, I guess) and it can be one of them.

<hr />

I use to create my nicknames abruptly. This usually occurs when I play role-playing games, and I have to choose my fantasy avatars' names. I once "had" in my mind this "mad koroner" during an old racing game session. It has no meaning at all and if you google "koroner" you won't find anything significant apart from some word in a [European?] language that I can't identify. However, I often have to change it at registering to some website because "koroner" had already been chosen. This is quite odd.

P.S. It has nothing to do with the professional figure of "coroner".

Belboz (6512) on 8/27/2006 3:43 PM · Permalink · Report

A Google search should give you the answer to mine...

Depeche Mike (17455) on 8/27/2006 4:16 PM · Permalink · Report

I like Depeche Mode a bit much...

Indra was here (20755) on 8/27/2006 5:11 PM · Permalink · Report

Well my the old days, I used to go with the nick "Lord DarkVale" which was the default character name from the game Rings of Medusa I.

Now Inderanta (Indra) Depari is my real name. Inderanta from my clan means "the sense that belongs to us", which still doesn't make any sense to me. I started using the "of the clan Depari" after I found out a couple years back that I had royal ancestry.

Foxhack (32100) on 8/27/2006 6:48 PM · Permalink · Report

I recently changed my MobyGames nick to my real name (David Silva, but I prefer to be called Dave).

However, for the past three years I've been Kitsune Sniper in Moby Games. Kitsune means fox in Japanese, and I've been using that part of my nick for close to ten years now. Sniper is a reference to how good I used to be at lightgun games. I've used Kitsune Sniper most everywhere for the past, oh, nine years.

Slug Camargo (583) on 8/27/2006 9:16 PM · Permalink · Report

I went through about ten hundred thousand nicknames, so I'll just talk about this one.

I needed a name that was catchy and internationally understandable (and easy to pronounce) when I used to participate in this radio show, so I went for "Copycat". Eventually, I registered in this forum and during an argument someone mockinly called me "Top Cat" (as in the Hannah-Barbera cartoon), and I thought it was a really cool nick so I swapped to Top Cat (actually, "Don Gato", which was the translated version down here). Later I thought about adding a "Dr." in front of it because... God knows why. So, it became "Dr. McGato", but then that sounded kind of latin pimp-ish, so I germanized it as you can see it today; much to Unicorn-Lynx discontent, might I add.

Matt Neuteboom (976) on 8/27/2006 10:54 PM · Permalink · Report

Mine is far too easy, it is obviously my name in real life. My email (Big nuke) used to be my nickname in middle and elementary school.

Shazbut (163) on 8/27/2006 11:30 PM · Permalink · Report

Mine is a swear word once uttered by one of those freaky alien dudes from The Simpsons.

I've been told the word must have been an homage to "Mork and Mindy", which was a late 70s American sitcom starring Robin Williams. His character also used the word. Or another one did.

My real life nicknames have varied from ones I'm highly proud of, (a couple of friends only called me "Maestro" for more than a year because I play the piano), to ones I'm really not, (my nickname in school when I was 9 was "Even Ed", as in, "Oh my God, even ED can do this. It must be easy/dumb/quick,etc." :p)

Pseudo_Intellectual (66362) on 8/28/2006 6:26 PM · Permalink · Report

"Mork and Mindy", which was a late 70s American sitcom starring Robin Williams. His character also used the word.

Mork and Mindy is only the beginning...

Shazbut (163) on 8/28/2006 8:49 PM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Pseudo_Intellectual wrote--] "Mork and Mindy", which was a late 70s American sitcom starring Robin Williams. His character also used the word.

Mork and Mindy is only the beginning... [/Q --end Pseudo_Intellectual wrote--]

Dear God! I had no idea. I just chose it because I laughed hard at that Simpsons moment and the word got stuck in my head.

Игги Друге (46653) on 8/28/2006 12:47 AM · Permalink · Report

Nickname? I don't need any nickname.

Koroner (147) on 8/28/2006 10:26 AM · Permalink · Report

It's not a matter of needing it, but just liking it.

Not everyone wants to be labbelled the same way all over the world and moreover with a name that someone you didn't even know chosed in your stead (your parents before your birth).

I think in a "cooler" world everyone should/could choose their name at one certain age. (Yes you may object that you can change your name right now, but you have to go through a lot of annoying steps fighting against bureaucracy).

Игги Друге (46653) on 8/28/2006 11:32 AM · Permalink · Report

Whatever you say, Sitting Bull.

Koroner (147) on 8/28/2006 1:30 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

:-)

I like the way American Indians assign names to individuals, that is hence one's characteristics/skills.

EDIT: "I like the way American Indians assigned"...

Marko Poutiainen (1151) on 8/28/2006 3:59 PM · Permalink · Report

The nickname I usually go by was taken by someone very inactive so I chose to stick with my real name. The story behind my nick is so boring that it's probably better this way...

festershinetop (9572) on 8/28/2006 11:25 PM · Permalink · Report

Mines from one of the characters from The Secret of Monkey Island. Hes the Dodgy Sheriff on Melee Island who actually turns out to be The Ghost Pirate - Le Chuck in disguise. Ive also lost most of my hair on top so it as has Fester Shinetop. The name inplies baldness twice - Fester (From the Addams Family) and Shinetop (like my shiny head). Also im not sure wheter lucas arts did it intentionally but Fester Shinetop is an anagram of "A Pretence Of Sh*t" being that he isnt what he seems. Though this could be just coincidence.

Indra was here (20755) on 9/3/2006 10:49 AM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Marko Poutiainen wrote--]The story behind my nick is so boring that it's probably better this way... [/Q --end Marko Poutiainen wrote--]

Actually that's the best story behind a nickname I've heard yet...haha.

Luis Silva (13443) on 8/29/2006 9:53 AM · Permalink · Report

As I've noticed a lot of people around here had their real names instead of nicknames, also decided to go along. My nickname is an homage to Wolf 3D, and a lot of people (even outside the net) call me that.

Evilhead (1144) on 8/30/2006 12:40 AM · Permalink · Report

It sounded dumb enough so I decided to stick with it. There is no head as evil as Evilhead... :p

In arcade games: EHD In j-rpg:s: Ehead To my friends: Ville

Shoddyan (15004) on 8/30/2006 2:21 AM · Permalink · Report

I'm just a random encounter here on the boards. Make sure you have powerful weapons and lots of healing tonics or your party could be in big trouble. Oh uh... I like randomness. Plus I've just been using it so long (half my saved games say "Kard" somewhere in the name) that I'm just really really used to it. I first grabbed onto it sometime in the early 90s as a BBS handle for playing Trade Wars 2002. Of course just because I like it, that doesn't stop lots of other people from around the Internet from using the name either.

So in conclusion: I'm unoriginal and stubborn.... and MobyKard sounds silly.

Indra was here (20755) on 9/3/2006 10:51 AM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start WildKard wrote--] So in conclusion: I'm unoriginal and stubborn.... and MobyKard sounds silly. [/Q --end WildKard wrote--]

Actually I was expecting a better avatar for a name like WildKard. But that's just me.

Shoddyan (15004) on 9/3/2006 5:32 PM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Inderanta of the Clan Depari wrote--] [Q2 --start WildKard wrote--] So in conclusion: I'm unoriginal and stubborn.... and MobyKard sounds silly. [/Q2 --end WildKard wrote--]

Actually I was expecting a better avatar for a name like WildKard. But that's just me. [/Q --end Inderanta of the Clan Depari wrote--]

Not a fan of Phester? Well that's fine. I'm definitely open to suggestions and user submissions if somebody thinks they have a new logo for my loveable personality. Heck, I could make it a photoshop contest if I actually had anything fun to give away ;)

Marko Poutiainen (1151) on 9/3/2006 6:06 PM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start WildKard wrote--] Not a fan of Phester? Well that's fine. I'm definitely open to suggestions and user submissions if somebody thinks they have a new logo for my loveable personality. Heck, I could make it a photoshop contest if I actually had anything fun to give away ;) [/Q --end WildKard wrote--] Hey, your avatar is one of my favourites on this site!

Игги Друге (46653) on 9/3/2006 8:34 PM · Permalink · Report

I agree. I feel smart everytime I see it because I know where it's from.

Indra was here (20755) on 9/9/2006 11:06 PM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Iggy Drougge wrote--]I agree. I feel smart everytime I see it because I know where it's from. [/Q --end Iggy Drougge wrote--]

My mistake then, since I have no idea who this Phester dude is. I keep thinking its some dude from Space Quest?

Riamus (8480) on 8/31/2006 1:25 AM · Permalink · Report

I made mine for a RPG game. I needed a decent Elven name and used one of those RPG name generators. It gave me something similar to Riamus, but not quite... I just edited it so it was the way I liked it. That was many years ago, now.

Depeche Mike (17455) on 9/3/2006 9:29 PM · Permalink · Report

How do you pronounce it?

Riamus (8480) on 9/4/2006 2:20 AM · Permalink · Report

Ree-ah-muss

Shoddyan (15004) on 9/4/2006 2:56 AM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Riamus wrote--]Ree-ah-muss [/Q --end Riamus wrote--]

And here I've been saying "Rye-ah-muss" in my head every time I've talked to you.

Riamus (8480) on 9/4/2006 5:01 PM · Permalink · Report

Lol. It doesn't really matter. But from an elven language standpoint, Rye wouldn't really sound right. Of course, this isn't really as elven as it could have been... it was just for a game, so I didn't really care all that much. :D

chirinea (47495) on 9/4/2006 3:17 AM · Permalink · Report

That's just how a Portuguese speaker should read it (except maybe for the "r" pronunciation).

Riamus (8480) on 9/4/2006 5:01 PM · Permalink · Report

Rolled "r"?

chirinea (47495) on 9/4/2006 5:59 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

Like a "h". Something like "Hee-ah-muss". But it really depends on the region (and country), as some regions (and Portugal) would use a rolled "r" (if I get what you're calling a rolled "r"). But never a "r" as in "read".

Mobygamesisreanimated (11069) on 9/1/2006 1:55 PM · Permalink · Report

Mine's obvious. (If you don't know where it's from watch this). But I have to say that, when I chose that nickname, I had no idea it had already turned into a sort of obscure fad.

Apogee IV (2275) on 9/5/2006 9:33 AM · Permalink · Report

I stole mine.