DescriptionPurple Tentacle, one of the crazy Dr. Fred's creations, drinks contaminated water from Dr. Fred's Sludge-o-matic. He mutates into an insane genius and grows arms, and now he's plotting to take over the world. In an effort to stop him, Dr. Fred sends three friends, Bernard, Hoagie and Laverne back in time to yesterday, in order for them to turn off the Sludge-o-matic and stop the sludge from spilling into the river, thus preventing the whole incident. Naturally, the cheap doctor uses a fake diamond over a real one in his time machine, which blows up sending Hoagie 200 years into the past and Laverne 200 years into the future.
Now the player must bring back Hoagie and Laverne, with the help of the time machine's ability to move objects between time periods, and then stop evil Purple from taking over the world.
Day of the Tentacle is a point-and-click adventure game and a sequel to Maniac Mansion. The player controls Bernard, and later also Hoagie and Laverne, being able to switch between them at any time. By using the commands at the bottom of the screen, the character can pick up items, use them on other things, talk to people and more. Any of the three friends can also send his items across time to another friend.
The game takes place in the same area, but in three different eras, and thus affecting history takes a vital part in some puzzles. For instance, Hoagie can hide an item in the 18th century, and Laverne discovers it in the 23rd century - but by then, the item may have been affected by time and changed its properties.
The CD version of the game contains voice-overs for all the dialogues.
There are no promo images for this game
- "瘋狂時代" -- Chinese spelling (traditional)
- "День Щупальца" -- Russian spelling
- "יומו של הטנטקל" -- Hebrew spelling
- "Maniac Mansion 2" -- Informal title
- "Il Giorno del Tentacolo" -- Italian title
- "DOTT" -- Common abbreviation
- "Der Tag des Tentakels" -- German title
- "Den' Schupaltsa" -- Russian title
Part of the Following Groups
- Game Engine: SCUMM
- Games with hidden / unlockable full games
- Games with manual lookup copy protection
- Maniac Mansion series
- Sound Engine: iMuse
- Theme: Time Manipulation
|Make my day tentacle....||DOS||Zovni (10667)|
|The funniest computer game ever, and one hell of a game!||DOS||Tomer Gabel (4678)|
|Timeless masterpiece!||DOS||silent_driver (13)|
|Even funnier than Maniac Mansion||DOS||Katakis | カタキス (39533)|
|Crazy, funny, overall great game!||DOS||hikari_no_tsubasa (11)|
|perhaps LucasArts' best, right up there with Monkey Island...||DOS||Gothicgene (83)|
|A ludicrously funny romp through time!||DOS||Michael Reznick (38)|
|LucasArts strikes again!||DOS||Toka (16)|
|Przygodoskop||DOS||Dec 08, 2006||100|
|High Score||DOS||Nov, 1993||5 out of 5||100|
|Adventure Gamers||DOS||Mar 11, 2005||100|
|About This Particular Macintosh||Macintosh||Feb, 1996||100|
|Jeuxvideo.com||DOS||Mar 31, 2010||19 out of 20||95|
|JeuxVideoPC.com||DOS||Jan 05, 2007||18 out of 20||90|
|Netjak||DOS||Aug 01, 2003||8.5 out of 10||85|
|GameCola.net||DOS||Dec, 2008||7.5 out of 10||75|
|All Game Guide||Macintosh||1998||70|
There are currently no topics for this game.
1001 Video GamesManiac Mansion: Day of the Tentacle appears in the book 1001 Video Games You Must Play Before You Die by General Editor Tony Mott.
CD versionThe CD version of the game features speech and no copy protection.
DevelopmentAt one point during DOTT's development, the artists consulted with legendary animator Chuck Jones.
Maniac MansionContains the original Maniac Mansion as an actual computer game (on a computer) inside the game.
MusicThe music playing during the intro is the ouverture to the opera Wilhelm Tell by the famous 19th century opera composer Gioachino Rossini.
- In the mansion 200 years in the past, a picture of Max from Sam & Max Hit the Road can be seen.
- Check out the Darth Vader calendar in Dr. Fred's office! You can also spot the Stormtrooper helmet in Green Tentacle's room (above the stereo and a bit to the left).
- The title for Day of the Tentacle has obviously been influenced by the novel titled Day of the Triffids by John Wyndham. In this sci-fi novel, carnivorous, walking plants called 'Triffids', after waiting for the perfect opportunity, decide to end the reign of Humanity and take on the world.
- Maniac Mansion is more than just a game within a game, it's also an integral part of the plot. Dr. Fred and his family (within Day of the Tentacle) licensed themselves into Maniac Mansion and should have become rich off the royalties. Well as luck would have it, the contract was never signed and so Dr. Fred lost out. During the course of the game's plot, you'll have to deal with this situation and get Dr. Fred reimbursed by the lawyers at Lucasarts.
- Dr. Fred mentions the royalties that he lost from the 1990 TV Show based on his life, the YTV/Family Channel sitcom, Maniac Mansion, which takes great liberties from the source material.
- The Couch Potato's Buying Network (shopping channel) within the game instructs viewers to call their operators at 1-800-STAR-WARS , otherwise known as the Lucasarts' hotline.
- In DOTT, there is a reference to the Commodore 64 computer. The original version of Maniac Mansion was released for the Commodore and is the same version that can be played in Weird Eds room. Get Bernard to "talk to" the computer and he'll say something like "Hello computer, I still love you even though you have 64k of memory", This refers to the fact that Commodore 64s had 64k of RAM, and yes, Weird Ed's computer is obviously a Commodore 64
- In the plot of the game, you are forced to use a microwave 200 years in the future to melt the frozen hamster left in the ice bin from 200 years ago. Laverne hopes that the microwaves aren't like the ones back in her time because they could really pop a hamster good. This is reference to the fact that you could microwave Ed's hamster in Maniac Mansion (causing the hamster to explode). Another reference to this is the fact that Ed's hamster used to be brown with white spots, now it is just brown.
References to the gameIn The Secret Of Monkey Island and Monkey Island 2: LeChuck's Revenge, Sam & Max can be seen outside of the Monkey Head Temple respectively in the Costume Store on Booty Island. In the Special Edition remakes of these games, the characters can still be seen in classic mode. However, when the games are hotswapped to the Special Edition modes they are replaced by Purple Tentacle!
- Computer Gaming World
- June 1994 (Issue #119) – Adventure Game of the Year (together with Gabriel Knight: Sins of the Fathers)
- March 1996 (Issue #140) – Introduced into the Hall of Fame
- November 1996 (15th anniversary issue) - #34 in “150 Best Games of All Time" list
- November 1996 (15th anniversary issue) –#3 Funniest Computer Game
- November 1996 (15th anniversary issue) – Most Memorable Game Villain (Purple Tentacle)
- GameStar (Germany)
- Issue 12/1999 - #32 in the "100 Most Important PC Games of the Nineties" ranking
- PC Powerplay (Germany)
- Issue 06/2005 - #3 Likeable Secondary Character (for Bernhard, Hoagie and Laverne)
- Issue 11/2005 - #7 Game Which Absolutely Needs A Sequel
- Power Play
- Issue 02/1994 – Best Sequel in 1993
Related Web Sites
- Day After Day of the Tentacle (A (n apparently on hiatus) web comic strip dealing with day to day interactions between residents and guests in the Edison family mansion; all character and background art in the comic strip has been appropriated from the game.)
- Hints for DOTT (Jason Strautman wrote this wonderful group of helpful hints. They are designed to give you nudges before the final solutions are revealed.)
- Maniac Mansion: Day of the Tentacle - FAQs & Guides (Various files on GameFaqs.com)
- ScummVM (Get "Day of the Tentacle", as well as many other adventure games, to run on modern systems by using ScummVM, a legal and free program.)
- The Making of Maniac Mansion (a Word document which appeared in Edge magazine dated July 5, 2005)