🐳 12,485 items were approved and added to the database in the past week!

Forums > Off Topic > TV series recommendation

Indra was here (20750) on 11/5/2010 6:08 PM · Permalink · Report

Watching a few episodes of the Battlestar Galactica mini series and have to say it's one of the worst fantasy plots ever written. Thankfully, re-watching other Star Trek episodes have curbed my temporary disgust stories being too 'fanstasy'.

Anything recommendations worth watching, fantasy or otherwise? Thus far, the top of my list are still the old series of X-files and House.

Zovni (10504) on 11/5/2010 6:12 PM · Permalink · Report

Sci-fi only or what? You might want to narrow things a bit y'know.... I'd say if you liked x-files go for Millenium, Fringe and Lost.

Indra was here (20750) on 11/5/2010 6:16 PM · Permalink · Report

That was quick. Anything really. As long as it's bloody dang well-written.

Ah, the old Millenium series starting that old guy with that deep voice? Forgot about that.

Lain Crowley (6629) on 11/5/2010 6:26 PM · Permalink · Report

Well written? Skip Fringe then.

Fringe isn't as character driven as Lost, but it still tries to come close. It's better then it could have been, but isn't quite "good".

As for BSG, it's... uneven. The first season and first half of season 3 were the best bits. It's probably going to be harder to watch now that you go into it knowing that they had no idea where they wanted to take the show.

Foxhack (32098) on 11/5/2010 7:05 PM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Bhatara Dewa Indra I wrote--]Watching a few episodes of the Battlestar Galactica mini series and have to say it's one of the worst fantasy plots ever written. [/Q --end Bhatara Dewa Indra I wrote--]Mormon Sci-Fi has that effect, yep.

I suggest The X-Files up until David Duchovny leaves the series and gets replaced by Robert Patrick. The series just wasn't the same after that.

GAMEBOY COLOR! (1990) on 11/5/2010 10:30 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

I suggest the following knowing you probably won't be interested, but have you ever consider cartoons? I would suggest anything Cartoon Network did from 1996 to 2002. Johnny Bravo, Dexter's Laboratory, Ed Edd and Eddy, Courage the Cowardly Dog, The Power Puff Girls, Mike Lu and Og, Samurai Jack ,Code Name Kids Next Door and so on. I would suggest Cow & Chicken and The Grim Adventures of Billy & Mandy only if you like manic, absurd and grim comedy. A lot of stuff from Nickelodeon from that same era was great too. One word of advice for trying to watch SpongeBob. Do NOT watch anything after the movie was made. It's terrible. Come to think of it, so was the movie. To make a potential long post short, pretty much all the stuff on Nick, Cartoon Network and Toon Disney from 1990 to 2003 was freaking awesome! Classic Looney Toons is a lot of fun as well. I don't care much for adult cartoons, though Futurama is hilarious. Haven't watched much stuff other than cartoons this year, so I'll have to get back to on non-animated stuff.

Edit-All mentioned cartoons are adult friendly, not mindless crap. I should know, I still watch them and find them just as funny now as I did when I was a kid.

Patrick Bregger (304690) on 11/5/2010 10:35 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

I think the only kind of "cartoons" Indra cares for are ones definitely not showed on TV :)

Indra was here (20750) on 11/5/2010 10:39 PM · Permalink · Report

Er...cough...yes. Erhm.

Well, was looking for something more 'heavy', if you will. Thus far, the only real entertainment to fit a self proclaimed grumpy old man is by watching "The Pacific". Up to Part Eight right now. Lovely mini series.

GAMEBOY COLOR! (1990) on 11/5/2010 10:50 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

I thought you might enjoy some side splitting laughs, but to each their own I suppose. Anyway, ER is pretty good if you're looking for "heavy". After about 2005 though, it got kinda weak. (Watched it from the age of seven all the way to the end last year.) I can second the X-Files too, though I stopped watching after David Duchovny left. Never watched Deep Space Nine, but I can also reccomend Star Trek.

DJP Mom (11333) on 11/6/2010 3:12 AM · edited · Permalink · Report

Ha! We just got the ("Pacific") DVD at the library, I'm in the middle of avoiding processing it right now ;-)

Corn Popper (69013) on 11/6/2010 4:30 AM · Permalink · Report

Got it on Blu-Ray but waiting til I finish watching John Adams.

leilei (343) on 11/5/2010 11:24 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

[Q --start DANIEL HAWKS ! wrote--] I would suggest anything Cartoon Network did from 1996 to 2002 [/Q --end DANIEL HAWKS ! wrote--] Too narrow. Try Cartoon Network from 1993 to 2002 and then fast forward to 2010 past the overrated Naruto and Teen Titans crap. I heard a lot of great things about that new Monday prime-time cartoon block, and SOME of the Friday action stuff (read: not Ben 10 or Clone Wars).

Oh what am I saying? Indonesia probably doesn't have CN...nor does the rest of asia, except for Russia maybe. Myself, I haven't seen a CN show in years, I only read about it.

GAMEBOY COLOR! (1990) on 11/6/2010 12:27 AM · edited · Permalink · Report

Camp Lazlo, Chowder and Flpajack started out promising, but have just become terrible lately. (Lazlo been off the air for a while.) Foster's Home for Imaginary Friends was good, but didn't last long. I started noticing a decline in quality when they started airing Johnny Test. Destestable in almost every way. It went downhill even faster not long after that. I don't dwell on it much anymore. Still, I'm glad I grew up with such a variety of programming on tv. One Saturday Morning was great. Pepper Ann, the odd Schoolhouse Rock episode, Recess, Lloyd in Space and The Weekenders were my favorites. Too bad the current and next generation of kids will never really enjoy Saturday morning cartoons the way we grew up with them.

Parf (7871) on 11/6/2010 6:47 PM · Permalink · Report

Why bother with CN? Just get the first two seasons of Ren & Stimpy and you're all set. Anything by CN after R&S are just bleak copies of said show anyway. ;)

Indra was here (20750) on 11/6/2010 12:37 AM · edited · Permalink · Report

Oh, we have everything here. At least Jakarta has.

Though we're a bit different from Vegas. In Vegas, they use "What happens in Vegas, stays in Vegas". Here, it's more like "What happens in Jakarta, never happened". And I used to think Bangkok was the entertainment capital of Asia.

Lain Crowley (6629) on 11/6/2010 1:48 AM · Permalink · Report

Or, if you want some good fantasy/action cartoons, try Samurai Jack, the DCAU shows (all of Batman: The Animated series (although the show falls off a bit in the third season), Batman Beyond, Superman, and both Justice League and JLU), and Gargoyles (occasionally the toy commercial part is a little overbearing, but they got better at that in the second season. Skip the third "season"). Static Shock and The Zeta Project are both sort of DCAU shows, and are worth watching if the concept appeals to you. Teen Titans and The Batman aren't part of the DCAU, and both should be skipped.

A few years ago I might have recommended the Ghostbusters cartoon from the 80s, but I bought that boxed set when it came out and, well, it's still good for a kids' show, but doesn't really hold up to close scurtiny, especially any of the episodes not written by JMS.

Oh, hey, there's Babylon 5 if you like Star Trek without a squeaky clean Federation. Admittedly it has been a long, long time since I've seen the show, but I've heard that seasons 2-4 hold up really well.

Indra was here (20750) on 11/6/2010 2:33 AM · edited · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Lain Crowley wrote--]... Babylon 5 ... [/Q --end Lain Crowley wrote--]Watched a few episodes. Didn't seem to have the scientific 'umph' Star Trek has. Though probably way better than Andromeda and Stargate. That bold black dude with a tattoo? on his forehead always seems to make me lose interest in the series. The film (except the original) could bore a stargate to the point of deactivation. :p

GAMEBOY COLOR! (1990) on 11/6/2010 12:24 PM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Lain Crowley wrote--]Or, if you want some good fantasy/action cartoons, try Samurai Jack, the DCAU shows (all of Batman: The Animated series (although the show falls off a bit in the third season), Batman Beyond, Superman, and both Justice League and JLU), and Gargoyles (occasionally the toy commercial part is a little overbearing, but they got better at that in the second season. Skip the third "season"). Static Shock and The Zeta Project are both sort of DCAU shows, and are worth watching if the concept appeals to you. Teen Titans and The Batman aren't part of the DCAU, and both should be skipped.seasons 2-4 hold up really well. [/Q --end Lain Crowley wrote--]

How could I forget those? I never watched Gargoyles or The Zeta Project, but I can second the other ones you mentioned. (Teen Titans was ok, but avoid "The Batman" like the plauge.)

I would like to add Roughnecks-Starship Troopers Chronicles. I recently watched the Pluto Campaign on YouTube, and it has held up great. Some of the animation looks slightly dated though. Some of the more adult aspects of the source material have been toned down, because it was intended for children. Though, it's definitely not for the under nine age group. Far too violent for kids under that age.

Unicorn Lynx (181746) on 11/6/2010 5:09 AM · Permalink · Report

Nothing beats Angel in my eyes.

Go for Buffy too, in case you haven't watched it, ignore those who say this is a show for stupid teenage girls! It's a great show for stupid teenage boys as well! :)

Prison Break is very cool. At least the first season.

How about the Simpsons? :)

Indra was here (20750) on 11/6/2010 4:15 PM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start חד-קרן·山猫 wrote--]Nothing beats Angel in my eyes.

Go for Buffy too, in case you haven't watched it, ignore those who say this is a show for stupid teenage girls! It's a great show for stupid teenage boys as well! :) [/Q --end חד-קרן·山猫 wrote--] Preferred Angel over Buffy for obvious reasons. Didn't like both because how they depicted vampires with that ugly make-up.

Don't know which is worse actually. Buffy or the Charmed Ones.

Zerobrain (3052) on 11/7/2010 11:55 PM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Bhatara Dewa Indra I wrote--] Preferred Angel over Buffy for obvious reasons. Didn't like both because how they depicted vampires with that ugly make-up. [/Q --end Bhatara Dewa Indra I wrote--] I didn't like Buffy in the first place (don't know why) and that's way I never really watched Angel. But I can definitely recommend Firefly though it's by Joss Whedon too. Sadly didn't make it beyond the first season and a movie (Serenity) but it's one the most innovative SciFi series I watched in the last years.

Foxhack (32098) on 11/8/2010 12:05 AM · Permalink · Report

I don't like Joss Whedon very much.

But only because he has a habit of killing people for dramatic effect.

Indra was here (20750) on 11/8/2010 12:49 AM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Foxhack wrote--]But only because he has a habit of killing people for dramatic effect.[/Q --end Foxhack wrote--] reading wiki article.

A feminist who enjoys killing people for dramatic effect. Interesting combination. :p

Foxhack (32098) on 11/8/2010 2:14 AM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Bhatara Dewa Indra I wrote--] [Q2 --start Foxhack wrote--]But only because he has a habit of killing people for dramatic effect. [/Q2 --end Foxhack wrote--] reading wiki article.

A feminist who enjoys killing people for dramatic effect. Interesting combination. :p [/Q --end Bhatara Dewa Indra I wrote--]Thankfully, Marvel found a way to undo his required character death in the Astonishing X-Men series. And comic fans are all happy for it.

Indra was here (20750) on 11/8/2010 12:37 AM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Zerobrain wrote--]But I can definitely recommend Firefly though it's by Joss Whedon too. Sadly didn't make it beyond the first season... [/Q --end Zerobrain wrote--] Never heard of it before. Will check it out.

vaguely remembers a TV series about a human-demon with tattoos whose job was to catch other demons who escaped from hell. Can't remember the title...wonders if it was any good

Slug Camargo (583) on 11/6/2010 8:48 PM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start חד-קרן·山猫 wrote--]Nothing beats Angel in my eyes. [/Q --end חד-קרן·山猫 wrote--] I don't think I ever asked you this (or at least you never answered to my full satisfaction: What did you see in that show? I watched about three episodes and I found it atrocious. I can't see any difference between it and Buffy. In fact, Buffy had Michelle Trachtenberg on it, which makes it an itty bitty slightly less terrible =P

The Fabulous King (1332) on 11/8/2010 1:31 AM · Permalink · Report

Dave. If Oleg is anything like my programming, then he probably found those three episodes the best things ever created.

Also, browsing my catalogues of human behaviour, I found out that your Michelle Trachtenberg comment might be considered vaguely creepy. I'm deepely concerned about you Dave. Every day should start with a blue pill.

The things that people might like in Angel: no status quo, every season is like a different show, things and characters change, roller coaster like switch between funny and serious.

People that like Angel also tend to like shows like: Lexx, Farscape, Xena and Doctor Who.

Common elements in all those shows mentioned above: quirkyness, of-the-wall writing, camp.

Conclusion: Most likely the very same things that you found atrocious are what makes the shows good for the people who like them.

The Fabulous King (1332) on 11/6/2010 4:24 PM · Permalink · Report

Anything produced for HBO. Big Love is my personal favorite.

Foxhack (32098) on 11/6/2010 11:06 PM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start HAL-9000 wrote--]Anything produced for HBO. Big Love is my personal favorite. [/Q --end HAL-9000 wrote--]Even Sex In The City? :P

The Fabulous King (1332) on 11/7/2010 9:27 AM · Permalink · Report

I forgot Sex in the City was a HBO show. No, not that. :D

But usually cable channels are a much better place to look for interestingy written shows than networks with their yet another variations on doctor/lawyer/cop shows.

Though I like Castle... but because of Nathan Fillion.

Indra was here (20750) on 11/6/2010 11:19 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

Probably one of the good things about re-watching old series when your older (read=have more data to analyze) is the things you notice that you previously did not.

Now while watching episode 2 of Star Trek: Voyager, I'm a bit flabbergasted by Temporal Mechanics where effect can precede cause. Although many of the theories in Star Trek may be fictional...it does often make sense in Quantum Physics, but not based on standard common sense.

Er...I think my brain is about to crash again.

The Fabulous King (1332) on 11/8/2010 1:44 AM · Permalink · Report

Battlestar Galactica mini series and have to say it's one of the worst fantasy plots ever written...

...Didn't seem to have the scientific 'umph' Star Trek has...

...Star Trek: Voyager...

Threshold.

Indra was here (20750) on 11/9/2010 2:54 AM · Permalink · Report

Well, Obama will be passing by my house in a few hours. Will probably see Air Force One interfering with my downloads soon. Stupid low flying F-16s.

Hope someone doesn't do something stupid and do a suicide bomb routine. Well, if someone does, I hope they target the Indonesian president instead. Doubt anyone would mourn him that much. Worst test scenario is all the volcanoes in Indoland decide to take up cheerleading. If that happens, consider this my last post to you all. Huzzah!

Unicorn Lynx (181746) on 11/29/2010 5:46 PM · Permalink · Report

Well, if someone does, I hope they target the Indonesian president instead. Doubt anyone would mourn him that much.

I don't know much about the current president, but I have deep respect for Abdurrahman Wahid. Send him greeting if you meet him, Indra! :)

Indra was here (20750) on 11/29/2010 6:15 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

[Q --start חד-קרן·山猫 wrote--]I don't know much about the current president, but I have deep respect for Abdurrahman Wahid. Send him greeting if you meet him, Indra! :) [/Q --end חד-קרן·山猫 wrote--]Er, he's dead. Blind as a bat too. Met him once, had to have a retainer guide his hand when shaking hand with people. Was really a bad president, administration wise, but he could talk to the masses...despite eventually being impeached.

His nephew is a good friend of mine though. Powerful family. Despite all of them looking like animated water melons.

Unicorn Lynx (181746) on 11/30/2010 4:24 AM · Permalink · Report

Er, he's dead.

Oh... well, זכרונו לברכה, as we say in Hebrew, "may his memory be blessed".

Indra was here (20750) on 11/9/2010 4:36 AM · edited · Permalink · Report

After browsing for new and exciting TV series which aren't in Hindi, I do believe I have discovered the most air-tight answer to any argument imaginable in existence:

"We want world wide domination. Hail Cobra!"

If you don't believe me, ask a question. Any question. :)

The Fabulous King (1332) on 11/9/2010 6:59 AM · edited · Permalink · Report

Question: I once reached enlightenment and left this cycle of life, but unfortunately I took a wrong turn somewhere and got accidentally reborn, and my question thus is whether that enlightenment also counts so I also could say that I too once was a buddha, and who should I see to solve this slight misunderstanding because I really shouldn't be back here?

Indra was here (20750) on 11/11/2010 5:29 PM · Permalink · Report

Just watched John Adams episode 1. Loved it. Just watched the Mentalist episode 1. Loved it. I think Vampire Diaries would be next in line. Will see if Terra Nova can fulfill the appetite for sci-fi.

The Fabulous King (1332) on 11/11/2010 9:33 PM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Bhatara Dewa Indra I wrote--]Just watched John Adams episode 1. Loved it. [/Q --end Bhatara Dewa Indra I wrote--]

HBO. It stands for awesome.

Indra was here (20750) on 11/13/2010 10:57 AM · edited · Permalink · Report

While trying to figure out why my illegal downloads are faster than my legal downloads from gog.com, in the mean time I found myself browsing youtube and spent several hours (of downloading) to watch only a few episodes for my new favorite TV series : The Atheist Experience.

Delightful fellow and not just another retarded atheist who has the annoying "I want to punch Jesus in the face" mosquito-level of intelligence. Now if only there were some equally if not more convincing clips from the theist side, as really the majority of counter-arguments I've seen is so ghastly, you'd think that mankind evolved from doorknobs and worships pink polka-dot Polish pepper pancakes.

Peter Piper Picked a Pickled Pokemon. Hmm.

vedder (71280) on 11/14/2010 8:00 PM · Permalink · Report

I was in need of some cheering up and distraction so I decided to watch the series "Police Squad". That's hilarious. For those who don't know it, it's where the Naked Gun films are based on. Not a big fan of American comedy, except this particular extreme dry kind of humour. Too bad the last decent film with this kind of humour is already 12 years old.

Pseudo_Intellectual (66700) on 11/14/2010 8:06 PM · Permalink · Report

Er, "Police Academy"?

Parf (7871) on 11/14/2010 8:30 PM · Permalink · Report

Oh God! X_x

vedder (71280) on 11/14/2010 9:20 PM · Permalink · Report

Nah, I don't like those. But Airplane, Hot Shots, Loaded Weapon, Naked Gun, Spy Hard and Jane Austin's Mafia are all winners in my book :) Nothing compared to Monty Python, but still very funny.

Foxhack (32098) on 11/14/2010 10:15 PM · Permalink · Report

Those kinds of movies died out when the Scary Movie franchise was born.

Zovni (10504) on 11/14/2010 10:17 PM · Permalink · Report

I loved Police Squad. Its a shame that there were only about 4 or 6 episodes produced, but each one was solid gold. Loved the ¨camera freeze¨ gags at the end.

Unicorn Lynx (181746) on 11/29/2010 5:38 PM · Permalink · Report

But Airplane, Hot Shots, Loaded Weapon, Naked Gun, Spy Hard and Jane Austin's Mafia are all winners in my book :)

How about "Top Secret"? By the Zucker guys, too, like Airplane and Naken Gun. One of my favorites.

Zovni (10504) on 11/30/2010 1:10 PM · Permalink · Report

Btw. Don't know if you guys heard, but Leslie Nielsen passed away yesterday :(. Time for a tribute

Indra was here (20750) on 11/30/2010 1:52 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Zovni wrote--]Btw. Don't know if you guys heard, but Leslie Nielsen passed away yesterday :(. Time for a tribute [/Q --end Zovni wrote--] What? How? Dang it. His authoritative reserved-type acting is somewhat elegantly rare.

Hang on. That's Liam Neeson. Wrong dude. Whew. :p

Unicorn Lynx (181746) on 11/29/2010 5:41 PM · Permalink · Report

Anyway, the best comedies are from Soviet Union, the 60-ies. Stuff like Diamond Arm, Caucasian Prisoner, Beware of the Automobile, Aybolit-66...

Though I doubt anyone here knows about those...

The Western block is generally not familiar with a lot of great stuff that was made behind the iron curtain. Like every time I hear Western people discuss science fiction books, and nobody even mentions Stanislaw Lem, who is the king of this genre. Just because he is from an ex-communist country.

vedder (71280) on 11/29/2010 5:49 PM · Permalink · Report

I put Top Secret on my to-see-list.

The only Soviet comedy I've seen is this one, I didn't like it much. I guess the language/culture barrier was too big.

Two of my favourite movies are Soviet though: "Come and See" and "Ballad of a Soldier". Both war dramas, definitely not comedy. Come and See in particular can bring you down for days.

The Fabulous King (1332) on 11/29/2010 5:56 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

[Q --start vedder wrote--] The only Soviet comedy I've seen is this one, I didn't like it much. I guess the language/culture barrier was too big. [/Q --end vedder wrote--]

Was it the randomness and incoherent film logic/continuity that got to you?

vedder (71280) on 11/29/2010 6:12 PM · Permalink · Report

That and the particular type slapstick comedy involved.

The Fabulous King (1332) on 11/29/2010 6:37 PM · Permalink · Report

Yeah, soviet slapstick. It's an acquired taste. Those films definitely might be too culturally dividing. As I get it, the genre is inherently tied to the 60's, and 60's and 70's are usually remembered as the sunny optimistic period in the Soviet era. Before the economy was too obviously collapsed in the 80's.

Zerobrain (3052) on 11/29/2010 6:19 PM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start חד-קרן·山猫 wrote--]... The Western block is generally not familiar with a lot of great stuff that was made behind the iron curtain. Like every time I hear Western people discuss science fiction books, and nobody even mentions Stanislaw Lem, who is the king of this genre. Just because he is from an ex-communist country. [/Q --end חד-קרן·山猫 wrote--] Mentioning Stanislaw Lem "Ijon Tichy: Raumpilot" comes to my mind. Actually a German TV series roughly based on "The Star Diaries". Very short episodes (15 minutes), minimalistic production and strange kind of humor but I liked it.

Zovni (10504) on 11/30/2010 4:48 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

[Q --start חד-קרן·山猫 wrote--]Anyway, the best comedies are from Soviet Union, the 60-ies. Stuff like Diamond Arm, Caucasian Prisoner, Beware of the Automobile, Aybolit-66...

Though I doubt anyone here knows about those... [/Q --end חד-קרן·山猫 wrote--]

Honestly, that all sounds like worker and parasite :D

Indra was here (20750) on 11/15/2010 2:43 AM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start vedder wrote--]I was in need of some cheering up and distraction... [/Q --end vedder wrote--] American stand-up comedy. Though it's almost impossible to find the good ones on the net. Most are cheap dirty jokes and over-excessive use of profanity.

Do they have stand-up comedy in Europe?

vedder (71280) on 11/15/2010 8:32 AM · Permalink · Report

I'm not a big fan of American stand-up comedy. I love Dutch "stand-up comedy" though, that translation doesn't do it quite justice. Unlike American stand-up comedy, which is more of string of almost unconnected jokes, Dutch Cabaret (not to be confused with French or American cabaret) is much more heavy on story and a large array of emotions. Usually there's a narrative theme and story which is often more drama than comedy, but well timed, sharp, cynical or even blunt jokes serve to get the audience to laugh.

British stand-up comedy is quite nice. Haven't seen/heard much of it though. Eddie Izzard is a really cool improvising comedian.

Patrick Bregger (304690) on 11/15/2010 10:52 AM · Permalink · Report

In Germany this is considered to be stand-up comedy. Do I need to say more?

Indra was here (20750) on 11/15/2010 10:57 AM · edited · Permalink · Report

I'm not laughing. It's in Deutsch. :)

Asia doesn't seem to have a cultural talent in stand-up comedy. A TV station it tried once in Indoland. Terrible.

It's much better to see stand-up shows live. The smell of cigarettes, damp air, cheap furniture is part of the atmosphere I guess. Hmm...an atmosphere that smells exactly like my room. :p

vedder (71280) on 11/15/2010 11:06 AM · Permalink · Report

This is the civilized world, silly man ;) You're not allowed to smoke indoors here.

Indra was here (20750) on 11/15/2010 11:48 AM · Permalink · Report

Smoking does not cause fires. Fires do! :p

Lain Crowley (6629) on 11/16/2010 3:10 AM · edited · Permalink · Report

The entire Japanese comedy industry is Tim & Eric sketch.

No, I take that back. It's a draft for a Tim & Eric sketch that they can't figure out how to revise into workable material.

Daniel Saner (3509) on 11/25/2010 3:31 PM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Bhatara Dewa Indra wrote--]I'm not laughing. It's in Deutsch. :)[/Q --end Bhatara Dewa Indra wrote--]

If it's any comfort, no one who understands Deutsch is really laughing about it either :)

MZ per X (3017) on 11/17/2010 8:21 PM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Patrick Bregger wrote--]In Germany this is considered to be stand-up comedy. Do I need to say more? [/Q --end Patrick Bregger wrote--] Thankfully, there's genius there, too. Wouldn't call this stand-up comedy, though.

Zerobrain (3052) on 11/22/2010 2:59 PM · Permalink · Report

[Q2 --start Patrick Bregger wrote--]In Germany this is considered to be stand-up comedy. Do I need to say more? [/Q2 --end Patrick Bregger wrote--] Nope! Don't ever link Barth again! I almost puked over my Screen...

[Q --start MZ per X wrote--] Thankfully, there's genius there, too. Wouldn't call this stand-up comedy, though. [/Q --end MZ per X wrote--] You cant't really compare political cabaret to stand-up comedy. The formal presentation is the same, but intent, content and comical approach are mostly different. Though there are some rare artists that manage to walk on the fine line between both approaches.

BdR (7204) on 8/8/2011 8:40 AM · Permalink · Report

I'm a big fan of standup comedy and I also hate those comedians who just use the work f*ck every sentence instead of being funny.

One of the best stand-up comedians who doesn't rely on cheap tricks is Brian Regan. Few years ago my friends and I watched his show "I walked on the moon" on dvd and we still get a laugh out of it now and then. There also are some pretty good ones in the "Comedy central presents" series. Off the top of my head; Vic Henley, Greg Giraldo, Patrick Fitzgerald, Lynne Koplitz, Jim Gaffigan etc.

vedder (71280) on 11/29/2010 1:18 PM · Permalink · Report

RIP Leslie.

Daniel Saner (3509) on 11/25/2010 3:56 PM · Permalink · Report

Well, here's my personal take on some of the more recent series (i.e. premiered in 2010) that I would recommend. More on the non-fantasy front, because there hasn't really been anything new there, and I'm not usually too much into it either.

Boardwalk Empire, absolutely fantastic HBO series with extremely high production values (produced by Martin Scorsese!); it takes place in 1920s Atlantic City, the criminal underworld during the time of prohibition. Absolutely wonderful, right up there with the best mobster films. Given the subject matter and that it's on HBO, it's pretty graphic at times.

Lone Star, unfortunately already cancelled after one season, nice drama about a con man who wants to go straight, which poses some problems considering he was leading more than one life.

Rubicon, a classical government conspiracy thriller in the best tradition of All the President's Men. Really well done and in a wonderfully low-key, slow-paced approach.

Nikita, not usually my style but a pretty neat action series, actually pretty well done which is kind of surprising considering it's on The CW. Of course, it's a re-interpretation of the classic La femme Nikita. Female contract killer who flees from the agency and, bent on payback, starts to try bringing the whole organisation down. If you enjoy stuff like Dollhouse or Alias, you'll probably like this as well.

Detroit 1-8-7, nothing Earth-shattering, but a very nicely written classic cop drama. Was a bit disappointed at first, but after a couple of episodes the characters really start to become more interesting. As a fan of classic crime and police procedurals, I really love to watch this.

Outlaw, unfortunately already cancelled after its first season, but a very nice law drama starring Jimmy Smits ("L.A. Law"). Former Supreme Court Justice who resigns and starts working as a lawyer again, taking cases where he thinks the U.S. judicial system has failed. Again a bit disappointing at first, but gets better. Maybe it failed because the notorious FOX-News-part of the U.S. audience who considers it "anti-American" to point out flaws in the system?

Further: Rizzoli & Isles was a very nice crime series with interesting characters, finished its batch of 10 first-season episodes but has already been renewed for next year. Blue Bloods, a nice police family dynasty drama with a renowned cast. The Defenders, a funny Las-Vegas-lawyers series with Jim Belushi.

On the comedy side of things, Louie (with Louis C.K.) and Raising Hope (much like Malcolm in the Middle) are worth watching.

Don't bother with: The Event (typical NBC, nice idea but horrible execution, painful to watch), Pretty Little Liars (it's like 10 times too long for the little story it has, and it has the worst actors), Chase (not interested), Vexed (not interested), Covert Affair (a horrible experience from start to finish, no original thought whatsoever, just rehashing scenes you know from movies, strung together with no sense of logic or continuity; with a generous dash of sexism)

Indra was here (20750) on 11/25/2010 6:54 PM · Permalink · Report

Lovely. I'll try out a few.

I just found out and am quite alarmed that there a few medieval/fantasy series out there. Well, at least one that has nothing to do with Robin Hood or isn't a cartoon. :p

Daniel Saner (3509) on 11/25/2010 9:20 PM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Bhatara Dewa Indra wrote--]I just found out and am quite alarmed that there a few medieval/fantasy series out there. Well, at least one that has nothing to do with Robin Hood or isn't a cartoon. :p[/Q --end Bhatara Dewa Indra wrote--]

Absolutely. Well, I think this is really mostly because it is much more expensive to produce than anything that takes place in our own, modern world.

Something came to mind though, you should definitely check out the HBO series Carnivàle, if you haven't already. It's a very dark fantasy mystery thriller taking place in the USA of the Great Depression, and following a travelling circus with a lot of great characters. Very gritty, very dark and other-worldly. It's one of the most well-made series I've ever seen, definitely one of my all-time favourites. It ran from 2003 to 2005, sadly only 2 seasons. I think you'll love it. It has an IMDb rating of 9.0 with 9799 votes, for crying out loud. Up there, it is only beat by the likes of The Simpsons (9.1), Twin Peaks (9.4), or Firefly (9.5).

Check out the trailer (although it's a bit erratic). Watching this, I actually wouldn't be surprised if this was made by the same people as the excellent Boardwalk Empire that I mentioned above. Watch that trailer too for good measure; it doesn't get much better than this.

Indra was here (20750) on 11/26/2010 12:38 AM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Daniel Saner wrote--]Something came to mind though, you should definitely check out the HBO series Carnivàle, if you haven't already.

Check out the trailer (although it's a bit erratic). Watching this, I actually wouldn't be surprised if this was made by the same people as the excellent Boardwalk Empire that I mentioned above. Watch that trailer too for good measure; it doesn't get much better than this. [/Q --end Daniel Saner wrote--] Hmm. Fascinating. Though it seems Carnivàle isn't my usual plot consumption (or anyone's else's for that matter) it does strike resemblance to nice dark supernatural-setting TV series I used to watch. Gothic.

Will definitely try out Broadway. The cinematography itself seems impressive, which is usually enough for me to bite. Though I never really understood why mafia shows always tend to focus more on drama rather than action. Thug+Drama=Eh? :p

vedder (71280) on 11/30/2010 5:38 PM · Permalink · Report

I started watching "The Office" (The original BBC series, not the US remake although I might continue with that when I'm done with this), it's very funny although not consistently so.

Indra was here (20750) on 11/30/2010 6:40 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

[Q --start vedder wrote--]I started watching "The Office" (The original BBC series, not the US remake although I might continue with that when I'm done with this), it's very funny although not consistently so. [/Q --end vedder wrote--] Is it me or does the U.S. remake of the Office simply isn't funny?

[edit] A perfect example of crappy grammar. :p

The Fabulous King (1332) on 12/7/2010 12:37 AM · Permalink · Report

So how about them Walking Dead?

Here are couple of my reasons why this show is great.

1) Great Release Policy - usually we non-americans have to wait a year before we can see all the hottest shit on our tv screens. And that's why we're the ones that keep torrents alive. But AMC did a thing with Fox International Channel, and Walking Dead comes just 4 days after US release to our tv screens. That's pure gentlemanship. Treat your international audiences with respect.

2) Good writing and direction - lately I've been discovering that "good writing" is as meaningless term as "immersive" or "innovative", for people mean different things under that. So, I'm gonna share what made it good for me. Too many Hollywood writers have a nihilistic streak to them, and I find that nihilism to be too spiteful. Their souls are in a dark place and they just spread that darkness. But Walking Dead, a post-apocalyptic zombie flick, is actually very optimistic and respecting about humanity and the value and dignity of human spirit. And I like that.

There's no sense of the writers having issues or agendas like these things might have, with the "wrong" people getting killed first or just for laughs. Just people, humans. And the writers treat them with respect. No-one's dignity gets suddenly thrown away for writer's issues or change of direction in plot.

People die, yes, and suddenly too sometimes. But as humans, not as whatever the writer hates today.

Also I love the exposition or lack of it. It doesn't explain stuff like shows and films usually do. It just throws you into it. And it's quiet. It's comfortable with the quiet. To let you absorb the situation at your own pace. It's almost scandinavian-like in it's direction.

It's a really classy piece of tv. Respect.

3) Main character - he's a man's man, with values and guts. In this world of self-centered insecure hipster metrosexual neurotic schizophrenic deuchebags that's a rarity. It's something little boys can watch and learn from.

I also find Atlanta, Georgia to be an inspired choice to film this in, both architecturally and surroundings-wise. There's just this city with skyscrapers in the middle of nowhere, surrounded by forests and fields. Then again, almost anything other than Vancouver or LA is an inspired filming choice.

Walking Dead - it's a gentleman's show. Respect yourself and watch it.

Donatello (466) on 12/15/2010 10:45 PM · Permalink · Report

Watching some Chinese stuff right now. 一起来看流星雨 (in english known as Meteor Shower) and a 2004 Chinese TV series about Genghis Khan. This is to do with me trying to learn Chinese, as my ex-girlfriend was Chinese and I have some Chinese friends to talk to in real life, and since I want to study Japanese anyway in the future, and I also wanted to do Chinese also before anyway, so might as well try to watch some stuff as well. It sure has helped me learn verbal Japanese, as I can get the meaning of basic Japanese quite easily thanks to the countless dorama series I've watched.

Fun stuff. Meteor Shower being an adaptation of a Japanese manga & TV series, it sure is quite strange, and different than the Korean version.

For those who do not know, Boys Over Flowers is a popular romance manga series in Japan about a poor girl and four rich boys. Japan, Taiwan, Korea, and now China have all made a TV series out of it.

Indra was here (20750) on 12/16/2010 4:36 AM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Donatello wrote--]For those who do not know, Boys Over Flowers is a popular romance manga series in Japan about a poor girl and four rich boys. Japan, Taiwan, Korea, and now China have all made a TV series out of it. [/Q --end Donatello wrote--] Egad. Please don't remind me. The whole of Asia was in an euphoria as if it found a new religion. Probably the first time in my life where men felt like a minority group in the midst of giggling schoolgirls and house wives. :p

Donatello (466) on 12/16/2010 9:46 AM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Bhatara Dewa Indra I wrote--] [Q2 --start Donatello wrote--]For those who do not know, Boys Over Flowers is a popular romance manga series in Japan about a poor girl and four rich boys. Japan, Taiwan, Korea, and now China have all made a TV series out of it. [/Q2 --end Donatello wrote--] Egad. Please don't remind me. The whole of Asia was in an euphoria as if it found a new religion. Probably the first time in my life where men felt like a minority group in the midst of giggling schoolgirls and house wives. :p [/Q --end Bhatara Dewa Indra I wrote--]

I must admit I'm a huge fan of the Japanese TV series, though. Sorry.

ETJB (428) on 1/6/2011 9:23 PM · Permalink · Report

'Firefly' is a great, short lived series, with some rather obvious influences [Cheesy Wild West films, Japanese animation and existentialistic-kantian philosophy].

'Dead Like Me' is also a great series (also killed off way before its time). Basically a young lady dies only to discover that in the afterlife she is still on planet earth and cannot get into heaven until she completes her job; basically acting as the grim reaper. So, she has to start up a new life [find a place to live and get a job] while also dealing with the daily requirement to be at a certain place at a certain time to take someone's soul, hopefully before they die.

Lain Crowley (6629) on 2/21/2011 7:09 PM · Permalink · Report

No, Dead Like Me was killed after its time. The first four epsiodes are fantastic. The rest of the first season is good. The second season is a complete retread and a waste of everyone's time. The movie sounds like it might be good in principal, but I'm weary after how pointless season 2 was.

Michael B (303) on 1/23/2011 6:35 PM · Permalink · Report

I can recommend the following:

Cartoons:

• Family Guy
  • American Dad
  • Code Lyoko
  • Argai: The Prophecy

Drama:

• The Closer

Documentaries:

• Storm Chasers
  • Air Crash Investigation

Indra was here (20750) on 5/22/2011 10:14 AM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start White Wolf wrote--]Air Crash Investigation [/Q --end White Wolf wrote--]Eww. Half of the episodes there come from my country. The minister of transportation of that time is still an active cabinet minister. Yep, we have no regard whatsoever for human life.

vedder (71280) on 4/5/2011 10:45 AM · Permalink · Report

Hell yes!

Starts April 17 for US, April 18 for the UK, and the year 9595 for the rest of the world (guesstimate). April 17 for pirates all over the world as well.

This is going to be the best thing since... well, errr, the book I guess.

And apparently HBO also put a shotgun to Martin's head and forced him to finally finish the fifth book in the series (after six frickin' years). I guess they don't want to run out of seasons anytime soon. Thanks HBO!

vedder (71280) on 5/20/2011 6:51 AM · Permalink · Report

Just as a reminder, this is absolutely the best TV series ever. If you're not watching this you are totally missing out.

chirinea (47516) on 5/20/2011 1:07 PM · Permalink · Report

I can only recommend it too. =)

Daniel Saner (3509) on 5/19/2011 11:33 PM · Permalink · Report

"Awake" on NBC--this is premièring only this fall, but I'm already looking forward to it. A dark, deep, emotional psychological thriller. Just the kind of story I love most.

I remained cautious about my expectations but going by this trailer it seems like it could be really good: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NdhXyBgN_QU

Indra was here (20750) on 5/22/2011 10:24 AM · Permalink · Report

Just finished watching Heroes Season 4. No wonder it got cancelled. Time to start downloading again...

Lain Crowley (6629) on 5/24/2011 3:14 AM · Permalink · Report

There was a fourth season? I will be season 1's biggest defender, but after season 2 the love had died and the earth burned and salted. Was there anything in season 3 that justified them getting a fourth season?

Indra was here (20750) on 5/24/2011 3:51 AM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Lain Crowley wrote--]Was there anything in season 3 that justified them getting a fourth season? [/Q --end Lain Crowley wrote--]Not much, except the usual Sylar routine. Season 4 was particular lazy because they just came up with a new group with abilities to be the new bad guys.

More or less the same scenario as a brain transplant in a General Hospital soap opera. And no, we still didn't get a mass hero vs. villain battle.

Slug Camargo (583) on 5/24/2011 11:09 PM · Permalink · Report

I like how you started demanding series that were "bloody dang well-written" and ended up watching Heroes. I can recommend a bunch of Venezuelan soap operas if you like that kind of "bloody dang well-written" stuff XD

Indra was here (20750) on 5/25/2011 12:52 AM · edited · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Dr. M. "Schadenfreude" Von Katze wrote--]I like how you started demanding series that were "bloody dang well-written" and ended up watching Heroes. I can recommend a bunch of Venezuelan soap operas if you like that kind of "bloody dang well-written" stuff XD [/Q --end Dr. M. "Schadenfreude" Von Katze wrote--]They had more seeders than the soaps. Or I'd be downloading that South American 80s soap hit: Isaura Esadora or something like that. :p

Oh, come on. Heroes had its moments. As long as it didn't do with Sylar and saving the world that is. All I need now to watch now is a super-powered House MD in galactic space.

Somebody bring me Sisko! (8) on 6/28/2011 12:41 PM · Permalink · Report

Anybody here seen Mildred Pierce with Kate Winslet?

Donatello (466) on 8/6/2011 11:43 AM · Permalink · Report

The mainland Chinese epic series "Three Kingdoms" (the 2010 version) is quite good. It's whopping 95 episodes so probably a serious time investment if you don't mind plodding along slowly, but if you are unable to procure copies of the book (or don't like reading books), it's a worthwhile endeavor. It's not 100% authentic in terms of following the book as the 1994 version, putting more focus on the main characters and exploring their motives and interests with more detail.

If you are interested, google is your friend as a fansub group called Jiang Hu has fansubbed most of it (and probably has completed it by the time you catch up with the releases).

BdR (7204) on 8/8/2011 8:51 AM · Permalink · Report

I also like comedy series and there are 2 pretty good new shows I would recommend:

• Community - a very funny show, plus it's got Alison Brie
  • Modern Family - everyday family stuff, shot in fake documentary style

charmante charmante on 8/12/2011 9:29 AM · edited · Permalink · Report

Spam