Description official descriptions
Dungeon Master is a role-playing game where the player selects four adventurers and descend into the depths of the dungeon. The gameplay is reminiscent of the 3D dungeon crawl type of role-playing games popularized by Wizardry and The Bard's Tale. However, unlike these games, Dungeon Master features real-time combat, which requires the player to click on the opponent in order to execute an attack. Another notable aspect of the game is its growth system: instead of gathering experience points and leveling up, characters improve by repeatedly using the same action. Spellcasting involves selecting and combining symbols, which can be arranged as rune sequences. The game also allows the player to directly interact with objects in the game world through a point-and-click interface.
- ダンジョン・マスター - Japanese spelling
Credits (Atari ST version)
|PC release date?||Pseudo_Intellectual (64960)||2015-06-16 08:23:39|
1001 Video Games
Dungeon Master appears in the book 1001 Video Games You Must Play Before You Die by General Editor Tony Mott.
Apple IIgs version
The first port of Dungeon Master was for the Apple IIgs. This port was done while the original Atari ST version was in development.
The DOS version contains some individual marks: it has an extra animation at the end of the game and plays music in the starting screen.
In the United States FTL released an sound adapter along with Dungeon Master. It connected to the computer's joystick port and plugged into any speaker or amplifier to add digital sound to the Dungeon Master game. Built into the device was a 9-pin joystick adapter.
- October 1988 (issue #13) - Included in the Top-100 list of 1987/1988 (editorial staff selection)
- February 1991 (issue #41) - Included in the list Greatest Games of all Time, section Role-Playing Games (editorial staff choice)
- Amiga Power
- May 1991 (Issue #00) - #16 in the "All Time Top 100 Amiga Games"
- Computer Gaming World
- October 1988 (Issue #52) - Special Artistic Achievement Award
- November 1989 (Issue #65) - Introduced into the Hall of Fame
- November 1996 (15th anniversary issue) - #49 on the "150 Best Games of All Time" list
- GameStar (Germany)
- Issue 12/1999 - #63 in the "100 Most Important PC Games of the Nineties" ranking
- Power Play
- Issue 01/1989 - Best Role Playing Game in 1988
- Retro Gamer
- October 2004 (Issue #9) – #34 Best Game Of All Time (Readers' Vote)
- ST Format
- May 1990 (Issue #10) - Included in the list "ST Format's 30 Kick-Ass Classics"
- August 1991 (Issue #25) – #2 Top Atari ST Classic Games (Editorial staff vote)
- January 1993 (issue #42) – #4 in '50 finest Atari ST games of all time' list
Information also contributed by Macintrash, PCGamer77, Rantanplan, The Real DJ and Ye Olde Infocomme Shoppe.
Related Sites +
Dungeon Master & Chaos Strikes Back Encyclopaedia
An excellent fan site for Dungeon Master I & II and Chaos Strikes Back with maps, walkthrough, monster description, downloads, etc
Community site with a forum. Focus is on user created content for Dungeon Master, tools & links.
- MobyGames ID: 834
Know about this game? Add your expertise to help preserve this entry in video game history!
Contributors to this Entry
Game added by Chris Martin.
Sharp X68000 added by Rola. PC-98, Apple IIgs, FM Towns added by Terok Nor. Atari ST, SNES, Amiga added by Rantanplan.
Additional contributors: xcom1602, Pseudo_Intellectual, Patrick Bregger, Rik Hideto, Jo ST, FatherJack.
Game added February 7th, 2000. Last modified February 27th, 2023.