DescriptionThe Bard is a cynical, opportunistic musician who roams the country in search of carnal pleasures. However, this impatient and selfish fellow is compelled to accept the greatest quest of his life: save the princess Caleigh from a demonic cult that has kidnapped her. The unlikely hero must now explore the land in search of the princess, accompanied by the omnipresent Narrator who obviously can't stand the Bard and uses every opportunity to sarcastically comment on his actions. Furthermore, Fionnaoch, the mysterious abductor of the princess, does everything he can to stop the Bard, sending his minions after him.
A self-proclaimed "quest for coin and cleavage", The Bard's Tale is an action RPG that is more of a whimsical take on role-playing games than a remake of the classic series. As the Bard, players can fight off hordes of foes with blade and bow, and summon companions through magical Bard Songs. Leveling up allows the player to raise the character's main attributes and invest specialization points in the different types of weapons he can use. Magical companions must be sought out and then summoned during battles. After being summoned, they act pretty much like AI-controlled party members; some of them specialize in physical attacks and offensive spells, while others can heal the hero.
During conversations the player can choose "nice" or "snarky" responses for the protagonist. While mostly used for humorous effect, some of these responses may affect subsequent events. The game uses the Dark Alliance engine and has a similar camera and control scheme.
There are no Ouya user screenshots for this game.
There are 79 other screenshots from other versions of this game or official promotional screenshots.
- "新冰城傳奇" -- Traditional Chinese spelling
- "冰城传奇" -- Simplified Chinese spelling
- "Похождения Барда" -- Russian spelling
- "The Bard's Tale: Song of the Bard" -- Working title
- "The Bard's Tale: Remastered and Resnarkled" -- PS4 / PS Vita / Nintendo Switch / Windows Apps / Xbox One title
- "The Bard's Tale: Opowiesci Barda" -- Polish title
- "The Bard's Tale (2004)" -- Common title
- "Bingcheng Zhuanqi" -- Simplified Chinese title
Part of the Following Groups
- 3D Engine: Snowblind/Dark Alliance
- Bard's Tale series
- Gameplay feature: Multiple endings
- Games with hidden / unlockable full games
- Protagonist: Musician
- Ubisoft eXclusive releases
There are no reviews for the Ouya release of this game. You can use the links below to write your own review or read reviews for the other platforms of this game.
There are no critic reviews for this game.
There are currently no topics for this game.
ExtrasThe Polish version contains the first three Bard's Tale games as a bonus, just like the US one, but apparently unlike any other European release.
Information also contributed by JRK
Related Web Sites
- Daily Game (Download the Strategy Guide (Adobe PDF) here.)
- The Bard's Tale (Official Web Site)
- The Bard's Tale (Official European Website)
There are no game credits on file for this release of the game. Everything in MobyGames is contributable by users.