🕹️ New release: Lunar Lander Beyond

Forums > MobyGames > Redesign bug post

Corn Popper (69027) on 9/11/2013 9:10 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

Please post any bugs you see on the site here. Please be detailed and list what browser and version you're using.

CrankyStorming (2927) on 9/11/2013 9:27 PM · Permalink · Report

On the forums, the page numbers are on separate lines instead of one line (Win8, Chrome 29)

Daniel Saner (3503) on 9/11/2013 9:30 PM · Permalink · Report

Same for the reply/quote/etc. buttons beneath the posts – probably also not supposed to be that way.

chirinea (47495) on 9/11/2013 9:29 PM · Permalink · Report

The forums look broken, images will tell it best:

Browser is Firefox 23.0.

(I've sent a report instead of replying this message, sorry. Blame the broken disposition of buttons =P).

Picard (47740) on 9/11/2013 9:40 PM · Permalink · Report

Adding a game to your "have list" often shows wrong platforms cover.

chirinea (47495) on 9/11/2013 9:41 PM · Permalink · Report

Also, the multiple have list feature is gone. I lost an entire list because of that.

Patrick Bregger (301035) on 9/12/2013 7:11 AM · Permalink · Report

Also it seems the ability is gone to add a game more than once to a list.

Rola (8483) on 9/12/2013 5:51 AM · Permalink · Report

Same in Opera 12.12, so we can see it isn't browser specific. Make them horizontal/one line.

feisty on 9/11/2013 9:41 PM · Permalink · Report

It seems to me that the search API ajax stuff is not working anymore after the update.

I'm a user of DBGL [1] which has the ability to retrieve information from MG. I was using it right before the update and after it and now it doesn't work.

Whatever I enter in DBLG, no results can be found anymore.

[1] http://members.quicknet.nl/blankendaalr/dbgl/

GTramp (81964) on 9/11/2013 9:50 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

Oh my god. It's alive! It's alive!

Seriously though, forum looks broken - overlapping avatars and misplaced buttons (FF23).

Gamegroups are harder to navigate - you need to scroll much more than before to get to game you need.

Also - no new screenshots preview on main page? I just see screenshots descriptions.

No new credits at main page anymore?

Also - new contributions IMO should be placed above "This Day in Gaming".

Also - need to see messages from approvers and work in progress items in some form on the main page - like it was in old design.

Only 20 top contributors? Can't see beyond that limit.

Game description page doesn't look good to me... Why alternative titles are links? Is there a way to group release info so that it took up less space? In cases like this http://www.mobygames.com/game/realms-of-arkania-star-trail you need to scroll down to read game's description and the description itself is completely lost in the info that surrounds it. Maybe it's possible to use space to the right too? "Buy this game" and "Did You Know?" only use a bit of vertical space and the remaining space to the right is just blank, unused, while the center of the page is overloaded with info.

That's all at first glance... Thank you for the effort at redesign!

Daniel Saner (3503) on 9/11/2013 9:52 PM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start GTramp wrote--]Also - no new screenshots preview on main page? I just see screenshots descriptions.[/Q --end GTramp wrote--]

I think this is related to the bug I just posted below – there seem to be problems loading image thumbnails at various places, and if the thumbnails don't load you also can't click the links.

Daniel Saner (3503) on 9/11/2013 9:51 PM · Permalink · Report

I'm not sure whether it's an actual bug or just the servers still "warming up", but I'm having trouble loading screenshots for most games. Checking out random game pages, it seems to only affect games with more than a certain number of screenshots. The screenshots loaded fine for all games with fewer than 5, but not at all for those with around 15 or more. The loading animation will just rotate forever, and the browser displays that no connection is open anymore.

Generally the screenshots show up fine in the carousel on the main game page, and by clicking there I could check that they also show up fine on the single screenshot pages. It's just the thumbnails page I'm having this problem for, and due to the way the page is handled, you can't go to any screenshot's page before its thumbnail appears.

vedder (70822) on 9/12/2013 4:23 PM · Permalink · Report

At first I thought I couldn't see screenshots at all. Turns out it just takes a couple minutes for the script to load them all and then they all suddenly display at the same time. Try here for example.

Kabushi (261212) on 9/12/2013 4:43 PM · Permalink · Report

Wow, Firefox used almost 40% of my CPU to load that.

Daniel Saner (3503) on 9/14/2013 5:21 PM · Permalink · Report

Yes, it seems to be proportional to the number of screenshots to be loaded. Still, it takes much too long to be just due to waiting for all thumbnails to be loaded before displaying them all at once.

What irritated me is that usually, when an AJAX response is still pending, Firefox says something to that effect in its status bar. For the thumbnails pages it looks like the page has finished loading.

Cantillon (77154) on 9/11/2013 9:56 PM · Permalink · Report

Clicking any approval queue takes me to the All done screen.

Cantillon (77154) on 9/11/2013 9:58 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

The "Did you know" section on the right of a game's main sheet still makes use of the hidden trivia items which no one is supposed to see anymore.

Cantillon (77154) on 9/11/2013 10:00 PM · Permalink · Report

The trivia section does not format html lists correctly.

Indra was here (20755) on 9/11/2013 10:01 PM · Permalink · Report

1. Threaded viewing doesn't work.

2. Can't seem to login with an additional browser. Forbidden error.

3. MobyDark is screwed (black background for site and black background for posts) and even darker background for replied posts (darker than post background).

4. Polls aren't showing on main page (hey, my poll is currently on right now :p )

5. Terms of Service (Typo) --> Your use of MobygGames is governed by the MobyGames Terms of Service.

6. Spacing (either too much or too few) and paragraph issues in most areas of the site.

7. All those links that was on the left frame window has now disappeared to god knows where.

I'd add more, but I'm getting dizzy.

Alaka (106111) on 9/11/2013 10:07 PM · Permalink · Report

Most wanted option is not working correctly. It only shows "Games I haven't rated" for each platform. The press says section doesn't have any of the dates the reviews were written.

Rwolf (22827) on 9/25/2013 9:47 PM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start ALAKA wrote--]Most wanted option is not working correctly. It only shows "Games I haven't rated" for each platform. The press says section doesn't have any of the dates the reviews were written. [/Q --end ALAKA wrote--]

Odd...for me it shows only a list with 'Games without Moby Rank' tickbox checked. If I change any tickboxes, they only get changed back to the previous list.

Alaka (106111) on 9/25/2013 9:54 PM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Rwolf wrote--] [Q2 --start ALAKA wrote--]Most wanted option is not working correctly. It only shows "Games I haven't rated" for each platform. The press says section doesn't have any of the dates the reviews were written. [/Q2 --end ALAKA wrote--]

Odd...for me it shows only a list with 'Games without Moby Rank' tickbox checked. If I change any tickboxes, they only get changed back to the previous list. [/Q --end Rwolf wrote--]

Interesting. It may differ depending on what you had last checked before the dedesign happened.

GTramp (81964) on 9/11/2013 10:09 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

How do I edit "now playing", "recently finished" and similar lists? Also, comments to games in "recently finished" etc. are gone.

j.raido 【雷堂嬢太朗】 (95234) on 9/11/2013 10:33 PM · Permalink · Report

The private messages list only shows the Outbox, even if I click on Inbox. It also says "Date received" on Outbox messages, which makes no sense.

Also it doesn't show who the message is from (or to) in the list, which isn't necessarily a bug, but very unhelpful.

GAMEBOY COLOR! (1990) on 9/11/2013 11:20 PM · Permalink · Report

Even if you select to show your real name, it only displays your nickname.

ryanbus84 (43220) on 10/7/2013 4:38 PM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start 雷堂嬢太朗 wrote--]The private messages list only shows the Outbox, even if I click on Inbox. It also says "Date received" on Outbox messages, which makes no sense.

Also it doesn't show who the message is from (or to) in the list, which isn't necessarily a bug, but very unhelpful. [/Q --end 雷堂嬢太朗 wrote--]

I'm getting the same thing too. Also, I can't abandon a credit listing until it's been submitted now! Can ANYONE in Quality Control get to fixing this?

Starbuck the Third (22606) on 10/7/2013 5:00 PM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Ryan Hopson wrote--] [Q2 --start 雷堂嬢太朗 wrote--]The private messages list only shows the Outbox, even if I click on Inbox. It also says "Date received" on Outbox messages, which makes no sense.

Also it doesn't show who the message is from (or to) in the list, which isn't necessarily a bug, but very unhelpful. [/Q2 --end 雷堂嬢太朗 wrote--]

I'm getting the same thing too. Also, I can't abandon a credit listing until it's been submitted now! Can ANYONE in Quality Control get to fixing this? [/Q --end Ryan Hopson wrote--]

Don't hold your breath.

Indra was here (20755) on 10/7/2013 6:04 PM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Ryan Hopson wrote--]Can ANYONE in Quality Control get to fixing this? [/Q --end Ryan Hopson wrote--]Oh, new guy, eh? :p

chirinea (47495) on 9/11/2013 11:29 PM · Permalink · Report

About the have lists: I've seen that my two lists were actually merged. There is now less information than before, as I lost my date of purchase, the price I paid for those games and where I bought them. Not even the WaybackMachine can help me on that one. =(

vileyn0id_8088 (21040) on 9/11/2013 11:40 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

1. Trying to list a developer's gameography by MobyScore results in a server error (example).

2. Not all attributes are accessible from the Game Browser - even after clicking "show all" for their respective category. Unsure if a bug or a "feature", actually, which is why I pointed it out in the feedback thread too.

3. Forum posts can no longer be formatted correctly ( < ul > lists not bulleted, etc.)

4. User avatars are ridiculously stretched on the profile page - especially when non-square (just click on mine). This is impossible to correct by padding the image, since funnily enough, the maximum avatar size is still the old 120x120, even though it gets stretched anyway...

Most other problems I see have already been mentioned. I'm sure I could come up with more, but I need a break just about now.

chirinea (47495) on 9/12/2013 6:24 AM · Permalink · Report

There is no Moby Rank/Score link on the left bar of the game page. Also, I can't seem to find the corrections link anywhere on the game page.

Clicking on the platform name in the list of platforms in the game page doesn't redirect you to the page of that game for that platform; instead it leads you to the game browser. That may be more intuitive for newcomers, but there is no easy way of looking for specific info on any given platform for a game from the main game page.

GTramp (81964) on 9/12/2013 6:41 AM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start chirinea wrote--]Also, I can't seem to find the corrections link anywhere on the game page. [/Q --end chirinea wrote--]

Click 'edit' below game's description. Have you found a way to resume work in progress?

chirinea (47495) on 9/12/2013 6:48 AM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start GTramp wrote--] [Q2 --start chirinea wrote--]Also, I can't seem to find the corrections link anywhere on the game page. [/Q2 --end chirinea wrote--]

Click 'edit' below game's description. Have you found a way to resume work in progress? [/Q --end GTramp wrote--]That "edit" button only allows to submit a description revision. I wanted to submit a correction for a game (asking for a rating category to be removed), but I can't seem to find a way.

I don't have any work in progress now, so I didn't need to resume it.

Daniel Saner (3503) on 9/12/2013 4:02 PM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start chirinea wrote--]There is no Moby Rank/Score link on the left bar of the game page. Also, I can't seem to find the corrections link anywhere on the game page.[/Q --end chirinea wrote--]

The MobyRanks are now on the Reviews page, it has tabs for press and user reviews.

Corrections link definitely seems to be missing, I think it used to be under the Contribute heading so maybe it was supposed to show up in the respective drop-down menu.

It seems the lack of platform selection on the main game rap sheet is by design. The content doesn't change no matter what platform you're on, while all the other pages have a drop-down.

Rola (8483) on 9/12/2013 6:51 AM · edited · Permalink · Report

• how can I access "work in progress" entry? It's listed only on user page->submissions, but I cannot edit it?

• new game wizard is visually broken - what once was in tables now looks like a mess (Opera 12)

• on the main page, move the ChangeLog to Latest Updates

• clicking on game title no longer brings you to overview (how it's now called) page

• Private Messages list: sender/recipient no longer shown. Inbox is showing Outbox

lilalurl (733) on 9/12/2013 6:58 AM · Permalink · Report

When previewing a post, I got the message: "If you are new to the message board, please read the message board guidelines, they contain important information about the kind of conduct expected here.

This is how your message will appear:"

Ofc, since I have posted more than 10 messages you can guess I am not new to the message board, so there should be a check (number of posts and/or date of membership) to prevent this message from being displayed.

If you are new to the message board, to reply to this post, you will need to click on reply....

If you are new to computers (or mobile phones....), clicking is the action to press and release the left mouse button (or on mobile devices to tap a link on your screen.

If you are new to mobile phones, tapping is .... etc......

Patrick Bregger (301035) on 9/12/2013 7:52 AM · edited · Permalink · Report

Not a bug per se, but with the new design a "MobyRanks" tab on the main list (you know, with "overview", "release info" etc.) is required. Otherwise there is a lot of needless scrolling for MobyRanks contributors who just need to check if a review is already on file. We also needt the MobyRank date back. It is very important to know if a review was published at the same time the game was published or later. It is also helpful to determine for coverless games if the release date is fishy or not.

I don't know why, but the MobyGames logo can't be used anymore to open a new tab to the main page; it can only be clicked on directly (Firefox 23.0.1). This is a severe loss in usability for me because I often need to quickly research another game on MobyGames.

When contributing a MobyRank, the text goes over the right border.

The wizard does not automatically select the appropriate language when selecting the MobyRank source.

And another one: On the overview page, the displayed MobyRanks were selected to give a good impression of the range, i.e. some good, some middle and some bad scores. Now it just uses the top scores. For example, it makes Tempest 2000 look like it was a gift from god while the majority of the MobyRanks are not really impressed. The displayed MobyRank does not say which platfom it is for. It also seems to calculate a MobyRank even if there is only one review while we previously required five.

Another bug: ul and li tags don't work anymore. Proof is the Doom 3 trivia

vedder (70822) on 9/12/2013 8:30 AM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Patrick Bregger wrote--] I don't know why, but the MobyGames logo can't be used anymore to open a new tab to the main page; it can only be clicked on directly (Firefox 23.0.1). This is a severe loss in usability for me because I often need to quickly research another game on MobyGames. [/Q --end Patrick Bregger wrote--]

This is indeed quite annoying. The logo should be simple hyperlink so that middle clicking it will open the main page in a new tab.

Cantillon (77154) on 9/12/2013 8:18 AM · Permalink · Report

Description revisions don't use colors anymore to show the changes (Firefox 23.0.1)

Patrick Bregger (301035) on 9/12/2013 9:12 AM · edited · Permalink · Report

Take a look at this screenshot. After you laughed at that awesome trivia entry which was certainly never approved, you will notice that there is no overall MobyRank shown on the main MobyRank page anymore. Please fix.

GTramp (81964) on 9/12/2013 9:25 AM · edited · Permalink · Report

New game entries / new release dates now require the exact date. I know the game I'm contributing was released somewhere in 1993, but finding exact date is almost impossible. Please fix this, clearly an oversight / bug.

POMAH (66430) on 9/12/2013 9:48 AM · edited · Permalink · Report

I've examined mobygames.com ("redesigned") in FireFox 23.0.1 and have found the following not usability, but sometimes critical issues for around 2 hours of surfing.

1. Firebug shows error on almost all pages starting from home page:
    "ReferenceError: googletag is not defined
    http://www.mobygames.com/
    Line 81".

2. CR/LF characters are not recognized in this message and it needs to add < br > tag to show the text as multiline (FF23).

(fixed) 3. Suspicious screenshot as background at home page - http://pics.mobygames.com/images/redesign/bg.jpg . It should not be posted online in the web.

(fixed) 4. Current amount of mobyPoints is improper on user sheet page (if this amount was increased after "redesign").

1. Country (and its flag) of contributor is absent from Top Contributors.

2. Top Contributors list is represented as a scrolling blog and limited to 20 persons for certain reason, but not as a Top 50 table easy-to-view-at-once.

3. Firebug shows error at Contribute / MobyStandards (http://www.mobygames.com/info/standards) page:
    "SyntaxError: syntax error
    http://www.mobygames.com/info/standards
    Line 169"

4. "Remove platform" button is available at page dedicated to all games for this platform. I even tried to press it. Sorry, if something was deleted. For example, http://www.mobygames.com/browse/games/atom/

5. Lists of games are not sortable. For example at the same page, http://www.mobygames.com/browse/games/atom/ .

6. It is possible to submit a blank information for various items. For example, I've submitted a blank "Overview" for a certain company.

7. Column headers are not aligned with content in "Revision History" table.

8. Server Error on trying to examine the developer's gameography by MobyScore. For example, http://www.mobygames.com/developer/sheet/view/by_score/developerId,307/

9. Firebug shows error on "Discuss game" page (for example, http://www.mobygames.com/game/dos/kurtan/forums):
    "TypeError: z.dispatchEvent is not a function
    http://pics.mobygames.com/js/13091105/prototype_domUtils_dgMessageBoard.js
    Line 1"

10. Firebug shows error on "Add Rating Systems" (for example, http://www.mobygames.com/game/sheet/contribute/tech_info/acg,5/kurtan/dos/):
    "TypeError: ctrl is null
    http://pics.mobygames.com/js/13091105/domUtils_edit-attributes.js
    Line 1303"

11. "Review policy" is made as white text on black background - inverted style of current "redesign". See http://www.mobygames.com/info/review_guidelines?nof=1

12. Firebug shows 2 errors on "Add Cover Art" (for example, http://www.mobygames.com/game/sheet/contribute/covers/kurtan/dos/):

13. "TypeError: z.dispatchEvent is not a function
    http://pics.mobygames.com/js/13091105/domUtils_editor_prototype.js
    Line 1600"
  14. "TypeError: y.attachEvent is not a function
    http://pics.mobygames.com/js/13091105/domUtils_editor_prototype.js
    Line 1600"

15. While examining the game description's revision details, the changes in "Change Comparison" section are not highlighted as well as "Legend" has no color gradation. For example, http://www.mobygames.com/revisions/at,10/d1,19407/oid,791/rn,1/

16. "Add company" is made as white text on black background - inverted style of current "redesign". See http://www.mobygames.com/company/edit?companyId=-1&pop=1

17. It is impossible to add a new company. Click on "Continue" button in "Add company" does nothing. See http://www.mobygames.com/company/edit?companyId=-1&pop=1
    It is becasue href is blank for this control:
    < a href='#' data-type='continue-btn' class='addgame-btn'>Continue < /a >

18. On "Rel Info" tab of "New Game" wizard, the "Release Country:" is not a multiselect dropdown control and all content items from it are represented as checkbox list on the page scrolling it down and overlapping other page content.

19. "Genre definitions" is made as white text on black background - inverted style of current "redesign". See http://www.mobygames.com/glossary/genres

20. Columns and content are not aligned in "Rating" table and possess old design for headers at "Ratings" tab of Add New Game wizard.

21. Firebug shows error on "Proofread" tab of Add New Game wizard:
    http://pics.mobygames.com/js/13091105/prototype_domUtils_speller.js
    Line 1"

22. "Correction" multitext has a size to be out of section borders in "Game Corrections" page.

23. Firebug shows error on "Basic Information" tab of Add Game Credits wizard:
    http://pics.mobygames.com/js/13091105/prototype_scriptaculous_domUtils_credits_editor.js
    Line 1"

24. Firebug shows error on "Group Credits" tab of Add Game Credits wizard:
    http://pics.mobygames.com/js/13091105/prototype_scriptaculous_domUtils_credits.js
    Line 1"

25. Firebug shows error on "Add Tech Specs". For example, http://www.mobygames.com/game/sheet/contribute/tech_info/acg,1/boom-land/gscpsn,2/windows/ :
    "TypeError: ctrl is null
    http://pics.mobygames.com/js/13091105/domUtils_edit-attributes.js
    Line 1303"

26. "Product Codes" is made as white text on black background - inverted style of current "redesign". See http://www.mobygames.com/info/product-codes?nof=1

27. Clicking on un-available game coverart does nothing, however it is highlighted "add one".

28. There is no ability to continue the work with the items left in "work in progress".

29. Requests for a certain coverart files are responded with 502 code. These cover arts are for following games:
    http://www.mobygames.com/game/moscow-1993/cover-art
    http://www.mobygames.com/game/magic-dimension/cover-art
    http://www.mobygames.com/game/zeus_/cover-art
    http://www.mobygames.com/game/pokmon-yellow-version-special-pikachu-edition/cover-art
    http://www.mobygames.com/game/pokmon-gold-version/cover-art
    etc.
    Fiddler captured that, for example, http://c.mobygames.com/images/covers/small/1378863768-00.jpg is unaccessible. DNS Lookup for "c.mobygames.com" failed. The requested name is valid, but no data of the requested type was found.

30. Scores submitted by user, while rating the game, are not applied. "No Windows scores were found." is displayed and "Our Users Say" section for the game still equals to 0.

31. This "Message" multiline textbox, where this text is typed in, is not resizable under Internet Explorer 10.

32. Coverarts are not represented in the right panel of "This Day in Gaming" section, and represented in the left panel of "This Day in Gaming" section of Home page.

33. 'Not available' image is not shown for a developer's portrait in New Contributions / Developers, while this image is shown on opening the developer's page. For example, see http://www.mobygames.com/developer/sheet/bio/developerId,101716/

34. Messages` 'Inbox' content is incorrect. It represents actually 'Outbox' content. Meanwhile. 'Outbox' content is correct.

(fixed) 37. It is impossible to add a new screenshot to the game. Click on "Continue" button in "Add screenshot" does nothing.
It is becasue href is blank for this control:
< a class="addgame-btn" data-type="continue-btn" href="#" > Continue < /a >

1. Impossible to click 'Add' item in left menu.

...I'm sure there are more issues... ...but old design rules opposite to this one...

GTramp (81964) on 9/12/2013 10:34 AM · Permalink · Report

I can't see a way to edit / abandon pending contributions or resume work in progress. Please address this.

Patrick Bregger (301035) on 9/12/2013 11:37 AM · Permalink · Report

Too bad this showstopping was not addressed during the five day "beta testing" phase in the approvers' forum so it could have been fixed before launching it. Oh wait, it was, but obviously nobody cared.

Rola (8483) on 9/12/2013 11:46 AM · Permalink · Report

The whole thing looks untested. Obviously the person doing the redesign doesn't use the website, because most bugs are in plain sight.

How will I get notified about new messages/approved entries, I don't see any indicators in top-right corner?

Cavalary (11445) on 9/12/2013 11:43 AM · edited · Permalink · Report

I'll just add this:

HTML Validator (82 errors, 30 warnings) (hm, apparently varies a bit, a few refreshes also got me 80/30 or 80/31)
CSS Validator (34 errors)

That's just for the front page.

Parf (7873) on 9/12/2013 1:51 PM · Permalink · Report

I guess it's not so much a bug as a questionable design choice...

"This day in gaming" shows three games, but due to the limited width of the site, one of them end up below the first two. So either show 2 or 4... for symmetry if anything. I actually don't care at all about that "feature" myself, so why it ended up front and center with the most recent year first (which isn't exactly interesting to know as opposed to when old games came out).

Rola (8483) on 9/12/2013 2:48 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

On the user page, where's the "............ is also a game developer" ? The link to user's posts on the forum is also gone.

Where is correction wizard (for game entries)?

Games with no press reviews now have "0" The Press Says (former MobyRank) rating - wasn't that "..." before?

vedder (70822) on 9/12/2013 4:24 PM · Permalink · Report

When posting a message on the message boards, the site no longer automatically scrolls the page to where my post is so that I can see what I posted.

Ashish Deshmukh (12) on 9/12/2013 4:37 PM · Permalink · Report

I faced log-in issues today. Steps to Repro: 1. Enter www.mobygames.com 2. Clink on 'Log On'. 3. Enter user id and password.

Observed: Forbidden

You don't have permission to access /acct/logon on this server.

Apache/2.2.14 (Ubuntu) Server at www.mobygames.com Port 443

Ashish Deshmukh (12) on 9/12/2013 4:38 PM · Permalink · Report

I faced log-in issues today. Steps to Repro: 1. Enter www.mobygames.com 2. Clink on 'Log On'. 3. Enter user id and password.

Observed: Forbidden

You don't have permission to access /acct/logon on this server.

Apache/2.2.14 (Ubuntu) Server at www.mobygames.com Port 443

Notes: I am able to log in via 'Standard server' option on log in screen.

Starbuck the Third (22606) on 9/12/2013 5:04 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

On the currently have/used to have lists, my details on them have disappeared.

Not sure if glitch or by design, so i'm listing it here just in case.

EDIT: E-mail is AWOL, too.

Joel Segerbäck (641) on 9/12/2013 5:12 PM · Permalink · Report

it says I have 1 message, but when I click it I only find a PM from 2006. I did get an email a few days ago that someone had sent me a message here too, which doesn't appear in my inbox. It also says "Your are using 3 of your allotted 1000 messages.", but only lists that one message from 2006. Which apparently was sent by me to myself, according to the "From" field.

Starbuck the Third (22606) on 9/12/2013 5:26 PM · Permalink · Report

Xbox Live gamertag link hasn't been fixed.

Mr Almond (2485) on 9/12/2013 5:43 PM · Permalink · Report

My have list / collections seem to be all merged into one cover-view mess including games I'm pretty sure I have never owned, played or in anyway looked at. The covers don't match the systems and sorting by platform is a nightmare as there is no way to select which platform you want to view.

Rola (8483) on 9/13/2013 1:57 AM · Permalink · Report

It's because it shows your outbox, not inbox.

Even if I was to stop contributing altogether, I still like to chat so I need Private Messaging back, it's my only communication link to most of the people here.

piltdown_man (236385) on 9/12/2013 5:57 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

How do I access Work In Progress?

My browser crashed during a submission and now, while I can see the game on the submission summary screen, I can't find the good old Edit, Resubmit, or Abandon options.

Am I missing something?

IE 10 using the default view

POMAH (66430) on 9/12/2013 6:08 PM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start piltdown man wrote--]... I can't find the good old Edit, Resubmit, or Abandon options...[/Q --end piltdown man wrote--] It is a bug amongst many others. Currently nobody can work with it. It seems GTramp is the first "lucky" man, who encountered this surprize.

piltdown_man (236385) on 9/12/2013 6:13 PM · Permalink · Report

Thanks. I looked in case it had already been reported but obviously missed it

piltdown_man (236385) on 9/12/2013 6:00 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

The database seems to think I have 170 games. Where does it get this from 'coz it's not true.

Also there are old C64 games listed as 'Games I want' and 'Collections'. I've deleted these a couple of times and they just keep coming back.

I.E 10

(Edit - Now I remember where these games come from but still cannot delete them due to another functional deficiency)

Picard (47740) on 9/12/2013 6:51 PM · Permalink · Report

Cannot contribute anything to "Patch History".

Indra was here (20755) on 9/13/2013 2:13 AM · Permalink · Report

Strange. Can't open a new tab via that new MG logo (Chrome - open link in new tab). It's clickable, but right-clicking the mouse only identifies it as an image.

Starbuck the Third (22606) on 9/13/2013 7:23 AM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Indra was here wrote--]Strange. Can't open a new tab via that new MG logo (Chrome - open link in new tab). It's clickable, but right-clicking the mouse only identifies it as an image. [/Q --end Indra was here wrote--]

Does the same on the android version, too. Also does it with the built in browser.

Starbuck the Third (22606) on 9/13/2013 7:37 AM · Permalink · Report

Android browser on Android tablet - user avatars not aligning correctly to forum posts of the writers.

Arjon van Dam (1247) on 9/14/2013 12:29 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

Not sure if I'm overlooking something or if it's a bug, but I can't seem to find a way to add a game to my have list...

EDIT: Found.

CalaisianMindthief (8172) on 9/14/2013 12:32 PM · Permalink · Report

• Number of user score votes is inflated. It displays a number equal to (number of actual votes) x (number of voting categories)
  • In the Game Group Browser it reads "Showing 1 - 25 of 4,578 Games", while it should be "Showing 1 - 25 of 4,578 Groups"
  • There is no way to go back to the general page (all platforms) of a game after selecting one of its platforms. Previously, users could do it by clicking on the title of the game at the top. The Overview button can take over this function in the present layout.
  • User reviews on the main game page show no scores. I assume that is not intended.

Starbuck the Third (22606) on 9/14/2013 4:02 PM · Permalink · Report

Getting a banner ad on the homepage, despite having ads switched off and meeting the requirements to have them off.

Donatello (466) on 9/14/2013 9:14 PM · Permalink · Report

Better get used to it. :P

Parf (7873) on 9/14/2013 9:29 PM · Permalink · Report

I noticed that as well just now. This mean we need an addition button called "don't show ad banners, for REAL!"

MrFlibble (18234) on 9/15/2013 12:53 AM · edited · Permalink · Report

When I'm using the Game Browser it no longer shows the total number of items in the list with currently applied filters - it just shows the "25 most popular games" (what does it have to do with the Game Browser anyway?) and the option to "view all". Previously, the number of items that fit the current filter criteria was always displayed, and this was a very useful feature.

Also, when the resulting list is one page long, there doesn't seem to be a way to sort the list. If a list is not longer than one page it doesn't yet follow that there's no need to have sort options!

Additionally, there's no way to alternate between the ascending and the descending order, save for manually editing the URL.

CalaisianMindthief (8172) on 9/15/2013 7:06 AM · edited · Permalink · Report

• -There is no easy way to rate a game on the main game page.
  • -As pointed by someone else above, even if you rate the game, the score is not submitted and the overall number of votes and average does not seem to change (tested on Psychonauts). The new score does however appear in the user's ratings list.
  • -Tech specs lists are broken, similarly to the forum. (example: http://www.mobygames.com/attribute/sheet/attributeId,1/p,2/ ).

POMAH (66430) on 9/15/2013 9:18 AM · edited · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Corn Popper wrote--]Please post any bugs you see on the site here. Please be detailed and list what browser and version you're using. [/Q --end Corn Popper wrote--] When the found bugs will be processed???
(Critical issues such as
- non-ability to work with "Work in Progress" items,
- to add a new company (href is blank for 'Continue' button),
- (fixed) to add a new game screenshots (href is blank for 'Continue' button),
- to sort the developers gameography by score,
- to work with Messages Inbox/Outbox
should be fixed in first place.)

Rola (8483) on 9/15/2013 9:40 AM · edited · Permalink · Report

I find the slowness to fix the bugs appalling. If this was again a hobby project, I'll bet its 1-2 founders could do this in their spare time. If the company wanted to save face (look at the Black PR you've earned from users worldwide, even outside of this website!), worst bugs should be fixed within hours. It's not about cosmetic things like misaligned avatars, but communication-stopping denied access to your inbox etc.

Corn Popper (69027) on 9/15/2013 5:45 PM · Permalink · Report

Some bugs have been fixed and already live. I'm not getting any word on what's fixed and when other items will be taken care of, I just know stuff is getting worked on.

Fred VT (25953) on 9/15/2013 6:46 PM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Corn Popper wrote--]Some bugs have been fixed and already live. I'm not getting any word on what's fixed and when other items will be taken care of, I just know stuff is getting worked on. [/Q --end Corn Popper wrote--]

I'm glad it's getting fixed. I hope everything can be worked out soon. For now, the threaded view in the forums doesn't work. I haven't been around too much, so I don't notice all the bugs/fixes.

Have you talked about the community wanting the reviews back on the front page and such?

Anyhow, it's sad there's not more communication, that itself would bring back a bit of trust from the Mobygamers...

Corn Popper (69027) on 9/15/2013 7:08 PM · Permalink · Report

There's a lot of things that need to be fixed. I don't know what's getting priority and what isn't. I would hope the priority is to get functionality and visual bugs taken care of first.

I have asked to be kept in the loop more so I can pass info on but I don't have anything at this time.

Unicorn Lynx (181775) on 9/16/2013 1:44 AM · Permalink · Report

Guys, stop that! Don't trust him, don't thank him! Nothing is going to get fixed here. This site is doomed, and stop fooling yourselves!

Let's suppose they fix all the bugs. So what? They can't fix the horrible design! They will still remove featured articles and obfuscate reviews. The site will still look like a piece of horse crap.

Why do we need that? Everybody hate the new site. We want it gone, not fixed! We want the old design back, not this design without bugs!

Stop playing GameFly's and Corn Popper's games! How can you believe his usual meaningless platitudes when he's been feeding them to us for years and never did anything?!

Stop being so gullible, you are helping them ruin the site! Just boycott it until the old site is back!

If the old site isn't back we should all leave. Can't force each and every one of you - stay and work for these people who don't care for your work, those liars and cheaters who destroy our beloved website, if you so wish. But then don't be surprised when your work goes completely down the drain one day!

GameFly did zero good to MobyGames, and plenty of bad! As a MobyGames user, I feel morally obligated to oppose them, and you should, too!

Daniel Saner (3503) on 9/16/2013 2:58 AM · edited · Permalink · Report

I agree, at this point I don't see how anything but a rollback to the old site could fix the problems in any reasonable timeframe. If the past 2-3 years are any indication, it would probably take the same people another 3 years just to get the most important functionality working again.

There really wasn't anything broken about the old site, it wasn't "outdated" as some people claim, just because it has been around for 15 years. I always felt that touching up a few of the images and navigation functions, and very slight adjustments to typography and layout would have been fine. Also, it isn't 2003 anymore; mobile devices are perfectly capable of displaying websites that are designed to make use of all screen real estate that is given to them. Fixed-width layouts don't make sites any more usable on phones and tablets -- a fluid layout will adapt to the width that is available to it. [/offtopic]

Unicorn Lynx (181775) on 9/16/2013 5:41 AM · Permalink · Report

Exactly. That's why we should stop reporting bugs. They will fix the bugs and this atrocious design will have green light. Reporting bugs means working with them together.

Just boycott the site. No contributions, no approvals, no feedback until we get the old site back.

They won't do it? No problem. I will remove everything I've contributed to the site (just ask an admin to WIP all my contributions). If all of us do the same, maybe they will start paying attention.

We don't want this design to be functional. We don't want this design, period.

POMAH (66430) on 9/15/2013 6:56 PM · Permalink · Report

Thanks. Please, keep not submitted (work in progress) items not deleted after certain period of time.

Unicorn Lynx (181775) on 9/16/2013 1:34 AM · Permalink · Report

Haha, more great communication!

"Nobody knows anything, but everything will be fine, I assure you!"

Yeah, we've been hearing this for the last three years.

What a load of bullshit.

CalaisianMindthief (8172) on 9/15/2013 10:45 AM · edited · Permalink · Report

• -Game updates page seems to have been frozen in time, as it doesn't display updates after 11 September. http://www.mobygames.com/stats/recent_modifications
  • -This Day in Gaming feature on the main page is not complete. It scrolls to the right only to 1999, even if there were events in the database that go down to the early 80s. There's also a lot of white space in the bottom right which can be filled with events or game release dates.
  • -New Contributions on the main page is a bit broken. It shows multiple screens of the same game, even though it is clear it can display more games. Preferable, since more games add more variations=eye candy.
  • -Also in New Contributions, particularly in the Trivia and Hints sections, we can't see the covers, only their text placeholders.
  • -A big problem with the Search Engine. Searching for a word gives us this as the first result. If we click "View All" games we arrive here. However if we search again, even with only Games selected, we are returned back to the first page.

doomer007 (643) on 9/15/2013 3:48 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

The search bar at the top isn't fully "clickable".

Another bug is that a piece of trivia I submitted that hadn't been approved yet somehow still is showing up:

http://www.mobygames.com/game/medievil

Trivia Title:Differences between PAL, NTSC and NTSC-J

Another "bug" is that when you're browsing a game group, the list is sorted by year only and not by year and date. Take a look:

http://www.mobygames.com/game-group/deus-ex-series

Deus Ex: Human Revolution - Explosive Mission Pack and Tactical Enhancement Pack, which was released after Deus Ex: Human Revolution is listed below it.

Rola (8483) on 9/15/2013 4:50 PM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start doomer007 wrote--]Another "bug" is that when you're browsing a game group, the list is sorted by year only and not by year and date.[/Q --end doomer007 wrote--] I recall it was like that on the old site.

doomer007 (643) on 9/15/2013 4:57 PM · Permalink · Report

Ah, sorry, I'm quite new to the site and somehow I thought it was as I said (Wayback Machine confirmed what you said).

Fred VT (25953) on 9/15/2013 8:56 PM · Permalink · Report

I think it has been said before, but non-approved trivia is showing on the game's page:

See Dragon's Crown, the trivia there is from me, and it's definitely not approved yet.

Fred VT (25953) on 9/15/2013 8:58 PM · Permalink · Report

Also, the link https://www.mobygames.com doesn't work anymore, and it's very annoying since some browsers put https by default...

Fred VT (25953) on 9/15/2013 10:25 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

There is no way to add a new platform to an existing game... And we can now add...Overlays? A new feature? Why not add a spot for manual scans, then?

Edit: We can actually add the new platforms via the new game wizard, it's very unpractical though...

Patrick Bregger (301035) on 9/15/2013 10:34 PM · Permalink · Report

Overlays aren't new.

Fred VT (25953) on 9/15/2013 10:37 PM · Permalink · Report

First time i've noticed that. I didn't even know what it was before clicking on the "add" button...

doomer007 (643) on 9/15/2013 10:39 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

Just thought I should sum up a list of visual errors and other stuff reported on this forum (feel free to add any bugs you find and repost all of them so that its easier for this site's developers to find).

1.) The searchbar at the top isn't fully "clickable".

2.) Titles in game groups are only sorted according to year and not to year and date (wasn't introduced in this re-design, but still...).

3.)Trivia submitted but not yet approved still shows up in the game's main summary.

4.) When you enter a platform version of a game (http://www.mobygames.com/game/playstation/medievil), the option to switch to that same platform still exists but instead of reloading the page it sends you into a search for that platform's games.

5.) The site only takes up half a browser's page (atleast for Chrome and IE).

6.) On the forum, the report, quote, reply and send pm options are listed under each other instead of next to each other.

7.) The multiple have list feature is gone.

8.) Some games (Realms of Arkania: Star Trail and Call of Duty: Black Ops II) have hyperlinked alternate titles for no reason.

9.) Screenshots and game's cover arts are having problems loading up immediately.

10.) Polls can't be found anywhere on the main page (they might be hidden).

11.) When going on the page "Privacy & Disclaimer", a typo can be found under "Terms of Service", "MobygGames" - "MobyGames".

12.) The "Most Wanted" search isn't working properly.

13.) Several lists no longer have their own edit function ("Currently playing" and "Recently finished").

14.) If the option "display my nickname instead of my real name" is unticked", the nickname stays displayed nonetheless.

15.) Trying to list a developer's gameography by MobyScore results in a server error (http://www.mobygames.com/developer/sheet/view/by_score/developerId,69079/).

16.) Submitting a correction for a game is no longer possible.

17.) When a game doesn't have a cover art, the option to add one seems to be blue , indicating that it's meant to be a hyperlink to contribute a cover art when in fact it isn't clickable (http://www.mobygames.com/game/windows/blast-thru).

18.) The title of a game while viewing said game is no longer a hyperlink to redirect you to the main summary/overview of the game.

19.)It isn't possible to log on to MobyGames using the secure server.

20.) The MobyGames logo can no longer be clicked on by the middle mouse button to open a new tab.

21.) MobyRanks no longer have the date they were created on near them or visible anywhere within their review.

22.) Ui and li tags no longer work.

23.) When submitting a new moby rank, the page doesn't display correctly (http://www.mobygames.com/game/playstation/medievil/contribute/mobyrank/cpid,6/isCorrection,0/).

24.) Description revisions don't use colours anymore to show the changes.

25.) When adding a game, the release country option is no longer a multiselect dropdown control, and all content items from it are represented as a checkbox list on the page scrolling it down and overlapping other page content.

26.) It is no longer possible to abandon a work in progress or edit a new game entry that hasn't been submitted yet.

27.) Even though works in progress were never submitted, MobyGames lists them as submitted (even though they are incomplete).

28.) For some reason, the Top Games aren't in descending order, from highest score to lowest score. Same thing goes for the Bottom Games.

29.) The countries and their flags of top contributers are absent.

30.) It is possible to submit an edit without editing anything.

31.) Column headers are not aligned with content in the "Revision History" of a game.

32.) When posting a message/reply on the forum, the site no longer automatically scrolls the page to where a user post is so that the user can see what they posted.

33.) The inbox is no longer available (shows your outbox instead).

34.) It is possible to send a message to yourself (not sure if this is a bug).

35.) When searching for games, even though the user's preferences are set to display 100 items per page, the site still displays 25 items.

36.) Ads still display even if the user's preferences have them set as to not display.

37.) When viewing a games MobyScore, the votes and rows don't match (don't know how to explain it) (http://www.mobygames.com/game/medievil/view-moby-score).

38.) The "Latest Updates" page seems to be frozen at September 11th.

39.) This Day in Gaming" only shows games up till the year 2005 on the main page.

40.) The link https://www.mobygames.com no longer works.

41.) MobyRanks aren't listed in the "New Contributions" on the main page.

42.) It is no longer possible to add a platform to an existing game (apparently they can be added from the new game wizard, but it's very unpractical).

43.) When posting an image to a forum, the image doesn't automatically resize to fit the forum.

44.) Points shown on a user page don't refresh when new points are given.

45.) There is no way to filter search results.

46.) While editing a forum post from a mobile, the scrollbar doesn't show up, thus making it impossible to edit long messages.

47.) Game groups can no longer be sorted in ascending or descending order for any of the previously available options.

48.) Featured games no longer appear in the main page but the option to suggest a featured game still exists.

49.) The "Buy this game now" on each game doesn't display any content.

50.) It isn't possible to preview when editing a message on the forums.

51.) In the quick access table (Overview, release info, etc.), the link to a game's MobyRank/Score is no longer there.

Indra was here (20755) on 9/15/2013 10:42 PM · Permalink · Report

I envy your patience and visual tolerance, doomer.

doomer007 (643) on 9/15/2013 10:48 PM · Permalink · Report

Hehe, thanks. I wrote the list so that people don't need to stay scrolling through the forum to find all the bugs and so that the site can return faster to normal and I can happily resume browsing games I like.

Fred VT (25953) on 9/15/2013 10:55 PM · Permalink · Report

Also the points shown on the user page doesn't refresh when new points are given.

Fred VT (25953) on 9/15/2013 11:00 PM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start doomer007 wrote--] 13.) Several lists are no longer editable ("Currently playing" and "Recently finished").

[/Q --end doomer007 wrote--]

They are all editable in the Edit Playlist option. However, they could have their own edit function.

doomer007 (643) on 9/16/2013 7:20 AM · Permalink · Report

Thanks, I updated the list.

Rwolf (22827) on 9/27/2013 9:12 AM · edited · Permalink · Report

[Q --start doomer007 wrote--]

-snip-

39.) This Day in Gaming" only shows games up till the year 2005 on the main page.

-snip-

[/Q --end doomer007 wrote--]

Today there is an entry from 1952 - SPD has an event; which I thought was a fake entry, but they are listed as a game company as well as a political party. Nothing in between 1952 and 2005 is listed though.

Scaryfun (20370) on 9/17/2013 9:29 AM · Permalink · Report

When adding new game release information for multiple platforms, lists of release countries all overlap and can't be entered. Also, I can't do anything with works in progress...no option to edit or delete them.

I'm using Chrome latest version 29.0.1547.66 m.

Iggi (35816) on 9/21/2013 11:06 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

Same with Seamonkey 2.20 (and I guess with every other browser too). Entering new game entries is almost impossible that way...

Katakis | カタキス (43087) on 9/18/2013 12:44 AM · Permalink · Report

I am using Safari 6.0.5, and I try to submit my review for Manhunter 2, I get this.

An error accured while processing your request, an error report has been automatically generated and send to our support staff and will be looked into shortly

I have been trying to submit for days. When I resume, it automatically takes me to the submit game ratings page, but the Go Back button is useless.

Karsa Orlong (151834) on 9/19/2013 8:48 AM · Permalink · Report

Can't add product code, trivia, alternate title

Patrick Bregger (301035) on 9/19/2013 8:54 AM · edited · Permalink · Report

You can add trivia. If there is already an entry on file, the "add"-button is in the right upper corner. Remember that you are not supposed to add trivia this way when there is already an entry on file.

Karsa Orlong (151834) on 9/19/2013 2:26 PM · Permalink · Report

That's right, I can not add Trivia when I'm adding the game. Can't add product codes and new companies at all

Rwolf (22827) on 9/19/2013 9:47 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

As noted elsewhere, the 'have list'/collection is only listing one group of games, for me it's the last group I made, and when adding a game you own, there is no query as to what group it should go in, as was before the change. Neither does it notify you if you already has added the game to your 'have list'.

Edit: when logged in I only see the last collection of games I made (a private list), but when I'm logged off, looking at my own profile, I see the normal public 'have list' collection.

I played around with a borrowed Android tablet (assuming the redesign had aimed for these things) in the game searching interface, and some of the pull-down menus for selecting genres were very hard to navigate, as there is no easy way to hold an open list & click on anything without a mouse...the pull-down disappears and you get the top selection usually, what I experienced. Maybe I'm getting slow on the mark?

vileyn0id_8088 (21040) on 9/19/2013 10:32 PM · Permalink · Report

Contributors' email addresses aren't showing up on their profile pages.

For users who choose to make their address public, it is supposed to show up as an image (for anti-spam purposes), but the script no longer works and only the alt-text "spammers suck" is displayed.

Starbuck the Third (22606) on 9/19/2013 10:49 PM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start vile_r wrote--]Contributors' email addresses aren't showing up on their profile pages.

For users who choose to make their address public, it is supposed to show up as an image (for anti-spam purposes), but the script no longer works and only the alt-text "spammers suck" is displayed. [/Q --end vile_r wrote--]

I'm not even getting the "spammers suck" on my page.

vileyn0id_8088 (21040) on 9/19/2013 10:57 PM · Permalink · Report

I see it (using FF 23 here) -- I suppose it depends on the browser; some display the alt text when an image is missing, some don't.

It's bad enough that members cannot be contacted via private messages (since no-one can access their inbox). Email addresses not showing just compounds the problem.

Indra was here (20755) on 9/20/2013 12:39 AM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start vile_r wrote--]It's bad enough that members cannot be contacted via private messages (since no-one can access their inbox). Email addresses not showing just compounds the problem. [/Q --end vile_r wrote--]That's why some of us are hanging at the advertising Troll Pub advertising.

vileyn0id_8088 (21040) on 9/20/2013 3:25 AM · Permalink · Report

FB gives me hypertension. :( I'm just hoping that some of our other top contributors are still in touch - Sciere, Joyvalley, Kabushi and everyone else who hasn't been heard from since the implosion.

Indra was here (20755) on 9/20/2013 4:24 AM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start vile_r wrote--]FB gives me hypertension. :( [/Q --end vile_r wrote--]If you can handle the redesign for more than a few seconds, you can handle anything the social media can throw at you. :p

Karsa Orlong (151834) on 9/20/2013 11:26 AM · Permalink · Report

I guess they just do not want go through same crap again as they did back in 2010...

Katakis | カタキス (43087) on 9/20/2013 1:11 PM · Permalink · Report

Does anyone still approve stuff anymore?

Fred VT (25953) on 9/20/2013 2:15 PM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Katakis wrote--]Does anyone still approve stuff anymore? [/Q --end Katakis wrote--]

No.

I did approve a few items just to show off my new nickname though...

MrFlibble (18234) on 9/20/2013 3:32 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

I've noticed that now when I type a game URL like

(1) mobygames.com/game/game-title

it no longer takes me to the game even if the title is valid. Instead, it redirects to www.mobygames.com. Now I have to type

(2) www.mobygames.com/game/game-title

to make it work.

Only a few days back (1) still worked. THANKS FOR "FIXING" IT whoever is responsible for this!

On a related note, it is probably not surprising that the issue with typing incomplete game titles wasn't fixed either. Before the redesign, I could type an incomplete or inaccurate title in the URL, for example:

(3) mobygames.com/game/command-conquer-gold

and it would bring up a list of possible matches, including the game in question, which is located at

(4) mobygames.com/game/command-conquer-special-gold-edition

After the redesign, the site greets me with a "Server Error" in any such case.

I dunno about the rest of you guys, but typing URLs is much faster than using an internal or external search engine, and it used to work in nearly all cases. Now this feature is broken, probably because it didn't even occur to the designers that such a feature exists or could be useful.

Alaka (106111) on 9/20/2013 4:19 PM · Permalink · Report

Game title doesn't fit in the title box:

http://www.mobygames.com/game/aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa-a-reckless-disregard-for-gravity

Cavalary (11445) on 9/20/2013 8:15 PM · Permalink · Report

That redirect is a very simple issue, fixed in .htaccess, probably somebody replaced that and forgot to keep it as a wildcard redirect. Silly.

MrFlibble (18234) on 9/20/2013 9:16 PM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Cavalary wrote--]That redirect is a very simple issue, fixed in .htaccess, probably somebody replaced that and forgot to keep it as a wildcard redirect. Silly. [/Q --end Cavalary wrote--] How wonderful. I fancy if nothing else was apparent, this would still be very telling of the general quality of the new sit design.

Parf (7873) on 9/20/2013 9:21 PM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start MrFlibble wrote--] [Q2 --start Cavalary wrote--]That redirect is a very simple issue, fixed in .htaccess, probably somebody replaced that and forgot to keep it as a wildcard redirect. Silly. [/Q2 --end Cavalary wrote--] How wonderful. I fancy if nothing else was apparent, this would still be very telling of the general quality of the new sit design. [/Q --end MrFlibble wrote--]

In the word "sit", did you forget to add an "E" at the end or an "H" between the "S" and "I"?

MrFlibble (18234) on 9/20/2013 9:33 PM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Parf wrote--] [Q2 --start MrFlibble wrote--] [Q3 --start Cavalary wrote--]That redirect is a very simple issue, fixed in .htaccess, probably somebody replaced that and forgot to keep it as a wildcard redirect. Silly. [/Q3 --end Cavalary wrote--] How wonderful. I fancy if nothing else was apparent, this would still be very telling of the general quality of the new sit design. [/Q2 --end MrFlibble wrote--]

In the word "sit", did you forget to add an "E" at the end or an "H" between the "S" and "I"? [/Q --end Parf wrote--] You know what, I'm not sure myself anymore

Daniel Saner (3503) on 9/20/2013 10:34 PM · Permalink · Report

Absolutely ridiculous. It would take an absolute beginner one weekend course in web development to do better than this. The guy responsible doesn't just have zero experience at this, he must also show an active disinterest in learning anything about it. I hate being the asshole, but someone should really think about a radical change in career paths. GameFly would have done better assigning this to any web-interested high schooler.

Игги Друге (46653) on 9/21/2013 2:57 AM · Permalink · Report

The whole design feels a bit like Rapidshare.

Pseudo_Intellectual (66362) on 9/23/2013 2:53 AM · Permalink · Report

This affects doing a google search of eg. "site:mobygames.com Tetris" also.

POMAH (66430) on 9/21/2013 7:01 AM · edited · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Corn Popper wrote--]Please post any bugs you see on the site here. Please be detailed and list what browser and version you're using. [/Q --end Corn Popper wrote--] 10 days passed. Critical bugs in new design are still there. A number of great contributors has left the site. The site is not friendly anymore. Who have done this and why?

One more thing about design issue for redesign "testers":
1. Open Home page in each browser that this site supports.
2. Press 'Ctrl' key down on your keyboard.
3. And scroll mouse wheel down.
4. Examine the site's design.
5. Perform steps 3-4 in several turns step-by-step and ensure that all controls on the page are left in places they were before and page design is not broken.

and one more:
1. Server error on trying to examine the game Ecstatica by http://www.mobygames.com/game/dos/ecstatica link.

Mobygamesisreanimated (11069) on 9/22/2013 10:21 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

I've noticed a bug: the original founders stopped giving a shit and sold the site to a bunch of incompetent, uncaring corporate douchebags. Any chance this will be fixed soon??? PLS respond!!

Indra was here (20755) on 9/25/2013 9:49 PM · Permalink · Report

Are those individual forum threads for each game gone or is hidden somewhere on the game's main page?

lilalurl (733) on 9/26/2013 5:29 AM · Permalink · Report

"Discuss game" at the bottom of the left frame.

piltdown_man (236385) on 9/27/2013 8:22 AM · Permalink · Report

If you get interrupted while submitting a game then it is not possible pick up and resume the submission. This has already been reported.

One game I had in this state, a pretty dire pac-man clone called '3D Maze Miss', has now disappeared from the system because it's not been worked on in the last two weeks. Probably others are in the same position where work is being lost. Can these be resurrected or do they have to be resubmitted from scratch.

Fred VT (25953) on 9/27/2013 12:07 PM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start piltdown_man wrote--]If you get interrupted while submitting a game then it is not possible pick up and resume the submission. This has already been reported.

One game I had in this state, a pretty dire pac-man clone called '3D Maze Miss', has now disappeared from the system because it's not been worked on in the last two weeks. Probably others are in the same position where work is being lost. Can these be resurrected or do they have to be resubmitted from scratch. [/Q --end piltdown_man wrote--]

If you try to submit it again from scratch, maybe you can actually pick-up where you left...

Karsa Orlong (151834) on 9/27/2013 1:00 PM · Permalink · Report

After 14 days entry is gone for good, so You have to start all over again.

[Q --start piltdown_man wrote--]If you get interrupted while submitting a game then it is not possible pick up and resume the submission. This has already been reported.

One game I had in this state, a pretty dire pac-man clone called '3D Maze Miss', has now disappeared from the system because it's not been worked on in the last two weeks. Probably others are in the same position where work is being lost. Can these be resurrected or do they have to be resubmitted from scratch. [/Q --end piltdown_man wrote--]

Fred VT (25953) on 9/27/2013 1:19 PM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start erav wrote--]After 14 days entry is gone for good, so You have to start all over again. [/Q --end erav wrote--]

I know that doesnt work for everything. I've been trying to add Diablo III PS3 and X360 platforms since before the redesign. Somebody seems to have started that contribution without ever submitting it, so nobody can add it anymore unless it gets abandonned...

piltdown_man (236385) on 9/27/2013 2:36 PM · Permalink · Report

Thanks for the feedback. Good to know that there's still someone left.

It's symptomastic of the poor planning and general lack of care that whoever's supposed to be managing this site didn't suspend the housekeeping cleanup routines while there was a bug that prevented game submissions being completed.

piltdown_man (236385) on 9/27/2013 2:43 PM · Permalink · Report

It's over two weeks since the site was improved. The worms eye view is that this is as good as its going to get.

Has anything actually been fixed, and if so, what? Is there a master list of faults showing status, priority, and estimated fix date?

Fred VT (25953) on 9/27/2013 2:58 PM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start piltdown_man wrote--]It's over two weeks since the site was improved. The worms eye view is that this is as good as its going to get.

Has anything actually been fixed, and if so, what? Is there a master list of faults showing status, priority, and estimated fix date? [/Q --end piltdown_man wrote--]

What I know has been fixed: the Avatars in the forum don't bleed out of the posts, and the inbox is slightly more functional than before (I still can't view my messages form the MG page though). And we now receive the notifications of approved items...

Daniel Saner (3503) on 9/27/2013 4:28 PM · Permalink · Report

Avatars were one of the first things reported, as in not even the forums working correctly anymore. So maybe they are working on fixing bugs in the order they were reported—at a rate of about 2-3 fixes per month.

Rola (8483) on 9/27/2013 4:54 PM · Permalink · Report

Since I can access my outbox, I'll bet the inbox bug is just a typo and could be hotfixed within hours (at worst). Not doing this in the first place is the most glaring example of their incompetence/carelessness.

Parf (7873) on 9/27/2013 8:30 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Daniel Saner wrote--]Avatars were one of the first things reported, as in not even the forums working correctly anymore. So maybe they are working on fixing bugs in the order they were reported—at a rate of about 2-3 fixes per month. [/Q --end Daniel Saner wrote--]

That still doesn't really explain the tons of bugs reported in the approver beta testing which are still all untouched. Unless they have a priority list which goes from "easiest" to "most important", where "most important" is currently being put in a black garbage bag in an alley behind the Gamefly offices because it took up too much space indoors at this point.

Asinine (957) on 9/28/2013 12:33 PM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start piltdown_man wrote--]It's over two weeks since the site was improved. The worms eye view is that this is as good as its going to get.

Has anything actually been fixed, and if so, what? Is there a master list of faults showing status, priority, and estimated fix date? [/Q --end piltdown_man wrote--]

For a start, I can finally log in again (was given errors on all internet browsers, denying me entrance). Pictures seem to load again, or at the very least sometimes.

Still can't add anything, since there is literally no link attached to the "add" buttons next to topics, which should be the biggest priority, as well as hilariously easy to fix. Even if I manage to navigate somewhere via URL, the "continue" button seems to direct back to the same page, which means it's impossible to progress anyway.

Lance Boyle (1532) on 10/1/2013 3:20 AM · Permalink · Report

Was submitting a game, and when there's multiple platforms it is next to impossible to select the regions.

https://cdn.mobygames.com/user/17133271-image.jpg (screen showing what it is)

Also, the revision history page doesn't have the different colors for the changes, yet there's still the Legend there.

(WinXP, Firefox 24.0 just in case)

Jo ST (24038) on 10/1/2013 5:47 AM · Permalink · Report

Last Updates, last reviews shows:

"No reviews have been written in the last three weeks for the following platforms :("

I consider this a "social bug".

Karsa Orlong (151834) on 10/1/2013 8:13 AM · Permalink · Report

When pressing on the review present in the queue for approval it shows a message:

Server Error The page you are trying to view is experiencing technical difficulties. An error report has automatically been generated and sent to the support staff. The problem will be looked into shortly. It is highly likely that this problem is isolated and not effecting the rest of the site, so please don't go away. Thanks for your understanding.

MrX_Cuci (16) on 10/10/2013 9:30 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

[Q --start M4R14N0 wrote--]Was submitting a game, and when there's multiple platforms it is next to impossible to select the regions.

https://cdn.mobygames.com/user/17133271-image.jpg (screen showing what it is)

Also, the revision history page doesn't have the different colors for the changes, yet there's still the Legend there.

(WinXP, Firefox 24.0 just in case) [/Q --end M4R14N0 wrote--]

Same here. Tested on IE10, google Chrome and Firefox (latest) Windows 7 64bit

piltdown_man (236385) on 10/1/2013 9:16 PM · Permalink · Report

It's not exactly a bug but I don't see the Gamefly logo on the new, improved web site.

Have I missed it? Can someone tell me where to look?

Havoc Crow (29859) on 10/1/2013 9:28 PM · Permalink · Report

I clicked the "Forum" button (from the Approval Home page) and what showed up was... a giant spinning, "loading animation" gif image.

It only happened once, I clicked "back" and the forum link worked again, but it sure was strange...

Rwolf (22827) on 10/18/2013 12:28 AM · Permalink · Report

The email notifications seems a bit erratic; after the redesign I initially did get the approver's messages copied in email, but lately they have not been emailed, now I only see the approved/rejected notifications on the website.

MrFlibble (18234) on 10/21/2013 1:50 PM · Permalink · Report

I've just discovered that the Game Browser is completely broken for me, as the drop-down menus for categories don't work at all (neither by clicking on the category name not by the "View All" option(, even though I have JavaScript enabled.

I'm using Opera 17.

Karsa Orlong (151834) on 10/22/2013 12:10 AM · Permalink · Report

It's off when someone is playing with page code, so basically every few days this panel is not working for few hours...

MrFlibble (18234) on 10/30/2013 3:36 PM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start MrFlibble wrote--]I've just discovered that the Game Browser is completely broken for me, as the drop-down menus for categories don't work at all (neither by clicking on the category name not by the "View All" option(, even though I have JavaScript enabled.

I'm using Opera 17. [/Q --end MrFlibble wrote--] Turns out that this was caused by AdBlock Plus.

Karsa Orlong (151834) on 10/22/2013 9:57 AM · Permalink · Report

Strange. But when I'm logged in pictures loads much more slower than when browsing anonymously MobyGames.

Christopher James (5) on 10/22/2013 7:49 PM · Permalink · Report

Hello,

I'm attempting to merge two developers together, but it seems to be impossible to do so ...

(main) http://www.mobygames.com/developer/sheet/view/developerId,337198/

(stranded) http://www.mobygames.com/developer/sheet/view/developerId,578992/

Also, both of these developers are me ... is it possible to merge this into my own profile?

Thanks,

~cj

Corn Popper (69027) on 10/23/2013 8:47 PM · Permalink · Report

right now the admin interface doesn't allow us to do it

Jack Lightbeard (2685) on 10/23/2013 8:55 AM · Permalink · Report

I recently had cover art approved for James Pond 2: Codename: RoboCod for the Playstation 2. On the main game entry page at the top left where the front cover should be displayed it still states;

'There is no PlayStation 2 cover art on file for this game'

The scans show up under Playstation 2 with all the other platform scans after clicking on Covert Art on the left of the main game entry page though.

(Firefox 24.0)

Karsa Orlong (151834) on 10/23/2013 9:30 PM · Permalink · Report

It's been always like this, system needs some time to add the covers on the game main screen. Be patient.

BdR (7207) on 10/26/2013 2:31 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

Currently the screenshots don't load for any game. I can't see any screenshot for any game. Not in the game overview, nor the "view all" screenshots, nor when clicking on a single screenshot.

Interestingly, not all empty screenshot thumbnails have a spinning load animation when viewing with IE. And when viewing in Chrome I can't click on any thumbnail, the spinning animations seem to block any clicks.

Jukka Kauppinen (51) on 11/7/2013 8:28 AM · Permalink · Report

Screenshots, covers just won't load on 80% of cases. Sometimes they appear after a loong wait, but usually never, no matter how long I keep waiting. No matter which browser or which computer.

Like here: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/24216370/mobygames.jpg

SamFerdinand (8) on 11/15/2013 2:08 PM · Permalink · Report

Screenshots, cover shots, your name it... Won't load on Firefox or IE. What gives?

Sam

[Q --start Jukka Kauppinen wrote--]Screenshots, covers just won't load on 80% of cases. Sometimes they appear after a loong wait, but usually never, no matter how long I keep waiting. No matter which browser or which computer.

Like here: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/24216370/mobygames.jpg [/Q --end Jukka Kauppinen wrote--]

Barbarian_bros (15187) on 11/7/2013 4:02 PM · Permalink · Report

Can't add a game in one session because it's impossible to select the country :

[img]http://tof.canardpc.com/view/310153af-0165-4440-acb9-1bf8e68693e5.jpg[/img]

So I quit then relaunch a ne moby window... manage to edit the 'new game' submitted informations (was a lot simplier wiht the old design) and add release info wich i quit on the infinite 'wait' turning logo (the same that appears when you want to see the screenshots). And so on...

Ah there's still no 'wysywyg' text editor to edit game descriptions... that should have been implemented before the new design...

Timo Takalo (58) on 11/10/2013 9:42 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

I am using Firefox 25.0, and currently I am experiencing the following bugs:

• Clicking on the big "Mobygames" text on the upper left corner of any page does nothing.
  • When there is a game with an empty subpage, clicking on the "Add" link next to that page name on the list does nothing.
  • Screenshots and cover art images display the "loading" graphic, but never actually load up.

edit: Also when I typed this post I hit enter before each dash, but for some reason that did not produce a line change in the displayed post.

norolim on 11/20/2013 8:44 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Timo Takalo wrote--]I am using Firefox 25.0, and currently I am experiencing the following bugs:

• Clicking on the big "Mobygames" text on the upper left corner of any page does nothing.
  • When there is a game with an empty subpage, clicking on the "Add" link next to that page name on the list does nothing.
  • Screenshots and cover art images display the "loading" graphic, but never actually load up.

edit: Also when I typed this post I hit enter before each dash, but for some reason that did not produce a line change in the displayed post. [/Q --end Timo Takalo wrote--] Additionally, in Game Browser the filters on the right don't work. Clicking them does nothing. This is a new bug, that was introduced in the last 24 hours. I used it yesterday and it worked.

EDIT: there is no bbcode support on the forum?!

EDIT 2: bugs fixed

Pseudo_Intellectual (66362) on 11/22/2013 4:08 AM · Permalink · Report

This is not a BBCode forum; this one only accepts HTML. I know, where are the giant animated signature blocks also? No emoticon graphics?

norolim on 11/26/2013 4:43 PM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start norolim wrote--] [...] in Game Browser the filters on the right don't work. Clicking them does nothing. This is a new bug, that was introduced in the last 24 hours. I used it yesterday and it worked.

EDIT 2: bugs fixed [/Q --end norolim wrote--]

The bug is back again...

John Dough on 11/20/2013 7:36 PM · Permalink · Report

the search feature is a little bit broken

for example: https://www.mobygames.com/search/quick?q=warcraft+II&search=go

Warcraft II is not on the initial shortened display list but Warcraft I is?

Pseudo_Intellectual (66362) on 11/22/2013 4:09 AM · Permalink · Report

The search has been broken in this exact fashion for a long time. The work needed to fix it has gone into other things (likely other sites altogether.)

karaluh on 12/4/2013 11:04 AM · Permalink · Report

My entire wantlist (several hundred games) is gone. There are only two games left which were on the To buy list.

Havoc Crow (29859) on 12/9/2013 8:27 AM · Permalink · Report

For some games, the information on the Release Info is at least partially incomplete. For example, here or here -- the Rap Sheet lists two companies, but the release info page only lists one. (Not that I actually believe this will ever be fixed, mind you. At this point I'm simply collecting redesign bugs like a butterfly collector.)

MrFlibble (18234) on 12/9/2013 1:02 PM · Permalink · Report

Speaking of game releases, while I have been able - thanks to Karsa Orlong - to submit an updated release information for the Windows version of StarCraft Demo, I just realized that the website update must have automatically copied the Windows release date (which was simply 1998 by Blizzard Entertainment Inc. prior to the correction) to the Mac version, because a) I did not submit any info on the Mac version because I could not be bothered to look for it and b) IIRC, the Mac demo was released later, maybe in 1999. I suspect that the website update just filled in the gap for the Mac platform by copying Windows release info.

Then again, I might be wrong on this, perhaps I had to put at least some date for the Mac release. I can't remember for sure but somehow it seems very unlikely though.