DescriptionGolden Axe is an arcade beat-'em-up game that puts players in the shoes of one of three heroes, each with his own reason for trying to overthrow the evil rule of Death-Adder, who - along with his forces of darkness - kidnapped and imprisoned the King and his daughter and stole the legendary Golden Axe.
This is a horizontal fighting game, where you basically take one of the three characters (the barbarian Ax Battler, a dwarf named Gilius Thunderhead or the amazon Tyris Flare) and bash everything which stands between you and Death Adder himself.
The game allows to play up to two players on a same screen, however in the C64 version this option has not been implemented. C64 version was also stripped off in the other areas, such as: only one enemy can engage the player at a time or there are only two types of dragons instead of three.
- "戦斧" -- Japanese spelling
- "战斧" -- Chinese spelling (simplified)
Part of the Following Groups
- BPjS / BPjM indexed games
- Game Center CX challenge games
- Gameplay Feature: Beast Riding & Beast Attacking
- Genre: Beat 'em up / Brawler
- Golden Axe series
- Protagonist: Barbarian
- SEGA Vintage Collection series
|Milestone in arcade to home ports.||Genesis||Majestic Lizard (655)|
|A classic beat em up.||Genesis||Mr. Huh (112)|
|We're off to see the Bringer, the wonderful Bringer of Death||Genesis||Liam Dowds (51)|
|An all-time classic. Period.||Genesis||aaron pridemore (11)|
|A good visual conversion of flawed gameplay.||DOS||Trixter (8724)|
|The king of a dead genre||DOS||Roedie (5224)|
|For those that crave something, *anything!* that offers some D&D-like action||DOS||Zovni (9332)|
|NOSTALGIA OVERLOAD RIGHT NOW||DOS||Wertzui (187)|
|A travesty of the original.||Commodore 64||Gary Smith (65)|
|Computer and Video Games (CVG)||Genesis||Apr, 1990||95 out of 100||95|
|Raze||Genesis||Jan, 1991||92 out of 100||92|
|Your Sinclair||ZX Spectrum||Jan, 1991||91 out of 100||91|
|Digital Press - Classic Video Games||Genesis||Sep 24, 2005||9 out of 10||90|
|MegaZone||Amiga||Feb, 1991||74 out of 100||74|
|64'er||Commodore 64||Apr, 1991||7 out of 10||70|
|Power Play||Amiga||Feb, 1991||66 out of 100||66|
|Retro Gamer||iPhone||Aug, 2009||65 out of 100||65|
|Power Play||Commodore 64||Feb, 1991||58 out of 100||58|
|1UP!||SEGA Master System||Feb 06, 2004||56 out of 100||56|
There are currently no topics for this game.
CharactersAlthough not mentioned in the game, these are the names of the characters:
Dwarf: Gilius Thunderhead,
Barbarian: Ax Battler,
Amazon: Tyris Flare.
German indexOn May 30, 1992, Golden Axe was put on the infamous German index by the BPjS. For more information about what this means and to see a list of games sharing the same fate, take a look here: BPjS/BPjM indexed games.
Since August 31, 2005, the game is no longer on the index.
ReferencesThe Chicken Stinger is a creature you fight in the second stage of Altered Beast. This creature later showed up in Golden Axe as one of the Bizarrians that you can steal from the enemies in the game (it's now called a Chicken-Leg). The Chicken-Leg also showed up later in the arcade game Golden Axe: The Revenge Of Death Adder.
SoundThe death screams of the bad guys are digitized from screams used in the films First Blood (several) and one from Conan The Barbarian. Fans of the game who watch the movies will be able to pick these out easily.
- Amiga Power
- May 1991 (issue #00) - #96 in the "All Time Top 100 Amiga Games"
- EMAP Image's Golden Joystick 1991
- April 1991: Best coin-op conversion - 16 Bit
- Issue #4 - #70 in the "Top 100 Video Games of All-Time" list
Related Web Sites
- Death Adder's Castle (Death Adder's Golden Axe page, a great fansite about Golden Axe.)
- everything2 node: Golden Axe (A humorous take on the first game, the entire series, the conversions, the characters, villains and gameplay.)
- Golden Axe — StrategyWiki, the free strategy guide and walkthrough wiki (An illustrated guide to the game, complete with detailed platform comparisons.)
- X360A achievement guide (X360A's achievement guide for Golden Axe.)