DescriptionGolden Axe is an arcade beat-'em-up game that puts players in the shoes of one of three heroes, each with his own reason for trying to overthrow the evil rule of Death-Adder, who - along with his forces of darkness - kidnapped and imprisoned the King and his daughter and stole the legendary Golden Axe.
This is a horizontal fighting game, where you basically take one of the three characters (the barbarian Ax Battler, a dwarf named Gilius Thunderhead or the amazon Tyris Flare) and bash everything which stands between you and Death Adder himself. Each character has a special magical ability that can be charged by kicking small blue creatures that drop a potion. There is also a green variety off this creature that drops food that replenishes your health. Some enemies ride dragons and a scorpion like creature. The enemies can be knocked off and you can mount the creature yourself and attack the enemies with it.
The game allows to play up to two players on a same screen, however in the C64 version this option has not been implemented. C64 version was also stripped off in the other areas, such as: only one enemy can engage the player at a time or there are only two types of dragons instead of three.
- "戦斧" -- Japanese spelling
- "战斧" -- Chinese spelling (simplified)
Part of the Following Groups
- BPjS / BPjM indexed games
- Game Center CX challenge games
- Gameplay Feature: Beast Riding & Beast Attacking
- Genre: Beat 'em up / Brawler
- Golden Axe series
- Protagonist: Barbarian
- SEGA Vintage Collection series
There are no reviews for the SEGA Master System release of this game. You can use the links below to write your own review or read reviews for the other platforms of this game.
|GamesCollection||Jun 30, 2009||9 out of 10||90|
|Defunct Games||Sep 17, 2005||85 out of 100||85|
|SegaFan.com||Dec 18, 2001||8.4 out of 10||84|
|Pixel-Heroes.de||Apr 24, 2008||8 out of 10||80|
|Tilt||Apr, 1990||16 out of 20||80|
|Electronic Gaming Monthly (EGM)||Mar, 1990||31 out of 40||78|
|ASM (Aktueller Software Markt)||Mar, 1990||8.4 out of 12||70|
|Sega8bit.com||Oct 21, 2004||7 out of 10||70|
|Retrogaming History||Jul 01, 2008||7 out of 10||70|
|Game Freaks 365||2000||6.9 out of 10||69|
There are currently no topics for this game.
German indexOn May 30, 1992, Golden Axe was put on the infamous German index by the BPjS. For more information about what this means and to see a list of games sharing the same fate, take a look here: BPjS/BPjM indexed games.
Since August 31, 2005, the game is no longer on the index.
ReferencesThe Chicken Stinger is a creature you fight in the second stage of Altered Beast. This creature later showed up in Golden Axe as one of the Bizarrians that you can steal from the enemies in the game (it's now called a Chicken-Leg). The Chicken-Leg also showed up later in the arcade game Golden Axe: The Revenge Of Death Adder.
SoundThe death screams of the bad guys are digitized from screams used in the films First Blood (several) and one from Conan The Barbarian. Fans of the game who watch the movies will be able to pick these out easily.
- Amiga Power
- May 1991 (issue #00) - #96 in the "All Time Top 100 Amiga Games"
- EMAP Image's Golden Joystick 1991
- April 1991: Best coin-op conversion - 16 Bit
- Issue #4 - #70 in the "Top 100 Video Games of All-Time" list
Related Web Sites
- 411MANIA | Golden Axe (Xbox Live Arcade) Review (Game review.)
- everything2 node: Golden Axe (A humorous take on the first game, the entire series, the conversions, the characters, villains and gameplay.)
- Golden Axe — StrategyWiki, the free strategy guide and walkthrough wiki (An illustrated guide to the game, complete with detailed platform comparisons.)
- X360A achievement guide (X360A's achievement guide for Golden Axe.)
There are no game credits on file for this release of the game. Everything in MobyGames is contributable by users.