Forums > MobyGames > *NEW OFFICIAL GAME GROUP THREAD*

Unicorn Lynx (181775) on 7/4/2011 4:08 PM · Permalink · Report

I'm tired of scrolling down through 350+ messages, aren't you?

Anyway, let's continue our game group discussion here. List of shoot-em-ups and beat-em-ups, anyone?

Oh: Setting: Spanish Civil War and Setting: Belle Epoque game groups are online.

vedder (70856) on 7/4/2011 4:17 PM · Permalink · Report

Not to mention this time the first person to forget to close a tag gets lynched! ;)

Wikipedia has a headsup regarding your question:
Shoot 'em ups
Beat 'em Ups

j.raido 【雷堂嬢倪朗】 (95798) on 7/4/2011 6:37 PM · Permalink · Report

I take issue with a great many of the games tagged as shmups on Wikipedia -- but then I take issue with a lot of things on Wikipedia. I think making a complete list in this post would be a waste of space, but to get you started you can add anything except the compilations in these groups:

Gradius series, Parodius series, Thunder Force series (except TF1), Darius series, RayForce / Layer Section series, Star Soldier series, 194x series, R-Type series (except R-Type Command), Twinbee universe (except Twinbee Puzzle Dama and Twinbee RPG), Zaxxon legacy, Xevious games, Raiden series, Tōhō series (except Reiiden), Castle of Shikigami / Shikigami no Shiro series, Gunbird series, DonPachi series

By no means a comprehensive list, but enough to get a gamegroup started I'd say. Once the group is in place I can go through and add a few hundred more titles. :)

Unicorn Lynx (181775) on 7/5/2011 2:35 AM · Permalink · Report

Okay. Now, it looks like the Wikipedia article counts non-scrolling games in which you control a bipedal protagonist as shoot-em-ups as well, provided there is a lot of shooting in them. That's not our definition, is it? A side-view game in which you control a running guy with a gun is not a shoot-em-up, it's just a side-scrolling shooter, right?

j.raido 【雷堂嬢倪朗】 (95798) on 7/5/2011 5:50 AM · edited · Permalink · Report

No, definitely not. That would include games like Gain Ground, as well as certain platformers. I think I can nail down some general guidelines here that apply to most (but not all) shmups.

• Unrestricted movement within the player's given range, be it within a flat plane at the bottom of the playfield, or across the entire screen.
  • Forced scrolling, either at a set pace, or adjustable based on the player's positioning, but never stopped except due to in-game events such as a boss encounter.
  • Player character always faces a specific direction, and can only shoot in that direction unless the player acquires a weapon capable of shooting in another direction.

Of course, there are exceptions to each of these restrictions. Boogie Wings drops the player's character to the ground to find another craft in a sort-of platformer mode if their plane is shot down. Early shmups like Space Invaders have no scrolling. Some games add multiple firing directions as a gimmick, such as Forgotten Worlds and Deathsmiles. I'd say it would be safe to say games must fit two of the three requirements to be eligible.

Unicorn Lynx (181775) on 7/5/2011 7:19 AM · Permalink · Report

OK. And no humans - I mean, the protagonist must be an aircraft, right?

j.raido 【雷堂嬢倪朗】 (95798) on 7/5/2011 8:19 AM · Permalink · Report

Not necessarily. See: Deathsmiles, Forgotten Worlds, Triggerheart Exelica, Shikigami no Shiro series. Actually it seems more popular now to have a character that can fly rather than an aircraft or spacecraft. For various reasons. :)

Unicorn Lynx (181775) on 7/5/2011 10:09 AM · Permalink · Report

Wait, but then we need to include all side-scrollers with extensive shooting? Like... I don't know... Turrican? Where would the limit be? I thought the protagonists in those games should be flying, otherwise the gameplay is too different.

I mean, in those shooters in which you aren't flying the scrolling must stop from time to time, right? And you should physically move your character forward, which doesn't happen in shooters with a flying protagonist.

I think we need to make a distinction between side-scrolling or top-down shooters in general, and shoot-'em-ups in particular. There is no need for a game group that encompasses all such shooters. We need to distinguish those where the screen is always scrolling and where the protagonists are flying.

For the same reason, I'm not sure about Space Invaders-like games. Should they really be in that group? Since their gameplay is so limited, they can be all easily confined to Space Invaders variants group, which we already have.

vedder (70856) on 7/5/2011 10:43 AM · Permalink · Report

Spacewar! and Space Invaders are generally considered the first Shoot 'em Ups. That's why I think the distinction between static and scrolling screens.

As to platform-type run and gun games, they don't count. I think an important aspect of Shoot 'em Ups is that the protagonist is not subjective to gravity and cannot jump. (Obviously there are some exceptions like Xenon 2000 where the player can dive to avoid obstacles, but this is just a minor mechanic, not primary controls)

I don't see the need for a distinction in top down-or side-scrolling as it rarely changes the gameplay at all.

Unicorn Lynx (181775) on 7/5/2011 11:11 AM · Permalink · Report

I think an important aspect of Shoot 'em Ups is that the protagonist is not subjective to gravity and cannot jump.

Precisely. That's why human protagonists should be excluded, right?

vedder (70856) on 7/5/2011 12:08 PM · Permalink · Report

Except when they fly like a spaceship :)

j.raido 【雷堂嬢倪朗】 (95798) on 7/6/2011 2:25 AM · Permalink · Report

Yep, like in every one of the games I listed as a counterpoint. ;)

CrankyStorming (2927) on 7/4/2011 6:48 PM · Permalink · Report

How about "Games released on multiple discs". The limitations would be that the game had to have been on multiple discs in it's original release, and the game must necessitate that all the discs are used to play the whole game (unsure if DMC2 counts or not).

vedder (70856) on 7/4/2011 8:41 PM · Permalink · Report

Wouldn't this just be a gamegroup of 80% all PC games released between 1995 and 2000?

j.raido 【雷堂嬢倪朗】 (95798) on 7/4/2011 8:51 PM · Permalink · Report

And what about games like Unreal Tournament 2004 that had both CD and DVD releases, with only the CD release being multiple discs?

Rola (8483) on 7/4/2011 9:11 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

No need for such game group, although this could be added into tech-specs someday (numbers given separately for each type of medium game was released on). After all, some games were famous for spanning 6-7 CDs!

chirinea (47495) on 7/4/2011 10:01 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

At least we cover it for some console games, by listing the several different media codes for a multiple disc game.

Unicorn Lynx (181775) on 7/5/2011 3:04 AM · Permalink · Report

Continuing the Setting discussion, could we please further discuss that Native American group from the other thread? The suggested description wasn't very good, and perhaps more games can be suggested.

Also, shouldn't we also have a group Mythology: Native American? There seem to be a lot of games based on Mayan or Incan myths. I'm unable to think of anything off the top of my head, so I need examples :)

Further setting proposals: Setting: Indian, Setting: Ancient Messopotamian, Setting: European Renaissance. Any suggestions as to games we might include in either of these groups?

Rola (8483) on 7/5/2011 6:00 PM · Permalink · Report

Setting: Indian

Champion of the Raj

Road to India: Between Hell and Nirvana

East India Company series ?

Jungle Book ?

Kama Sutra: Manara now that's a lucky find! :D

Unicorn Lynx (181775) on 7/5/2011 11:19 AM · Permalink · Report

Hmm, how about Space Combat Simulators? Games like Wing Commander etc.?

Space Trading and Combat Simulators? Elite, Frontier, StarCraft, X, this kind of thing?

Wargames?.. I really know nothing about those, but it's weird that we don't have a group for those, isn't it?

Any thoughts on those?

vedder (70856) on 7/5/2011 12:07 PM · Permalink · Report

The term Wargames is better left to table-top gaming. It's too vague.

I do like the prospect of being able to distinguish Space Combat and Space Trading games though. Please continue :)

Unicorn Lynx (181775) on 7/5/2011 12:46 PM · Permalink · Report

Okay, I'm a little bit familiar with space trading and combat games, but I still need more examples from experts.

As for pure space combat sims, I know nothing but Wing Commander. Please post lists of games to fit into either group, plus group descriptions, and we'll get this done.

vedder (70856) on 7/5/2011 12:57 PM · Permalink · Report

X-Wing/TIE-Fighter series are Space Combat. And there we immediately have our gray area, because Rogue Squadron has a bunch of missions that take place close to a planet's surface.

Can't tell you much more because I hate games that take place in space (bad level design ¬.¬ and unappealing atmosphere)

Rola (8483) on 7/5/2011 5:49 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

Darn, wasted all my youth to X-Wing/TIE Fighter series. Even bought that re-release with updated graphics (textures et all).

Please note that Rogue Squadron can't count as space sim, it's more like 3D shooter. No power management, not wingman tactics etc. I know the line is a bit vague, after all, all those craft AREN'T REAL, YOU KNOW? ;D

Other notable titles, some less known included:

Star Crusader

Star Rangers

Freespace series

Darklight Conflict, Epic + Inferno are more like shooters?

Privateer, Elite and X series yes, there's a lot trading, but combat as well, right?

Lightspeed series? never played it

Does commanding a starship count? Battlecruiser 3000AD

Somebody bring me Sisko! (8) on 7/5/2011 2:10 PM · Permalink · Report

wikifun

vedder (70856) on 7/5/2011 2:32 PM · Permalink · Report

Darnit Wikipedia again... something about monkeys and typewriters...

Unicorn Lynx (181775) on 7/5/2011 2:42 PM · Permalink · Report

The list looks great, but... what about Star Control games? I thought they counted, too.

Somebody bring me Sisko! (8) on 7/6/2011 2:39 AM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Unicorn Lynx wrote--]The list looks great, but... what about Star Control games? I thought they counted, too. [/Q --end Unicorn Lynx wrote--] Has the Chinese Ministry of Public Security blocked your access to the game's respective entries in MobyGames' database? Bloody turtles!

Zerobrain (3052) on 8/2/2011 10:36 AM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Unicorn Lynx wrote--]The list looks great, but... what about Star Control games? I thought they counted, too. [/Q --end Unicorn Lynx wrote--] The wikipedia list seems to be a nice support but IMHO it contains quite some disputable titles. For example "Archimedian Dynasty" and "Aquanox" series. The gameplay is very close too "space combat" but actually these are "futuristic submarine combat" games.

I'm not familiar with Star Control but it looks rather like Homeworld or Star Wolves which I see as a separate group for these are rather RTS games in space than combat simulations IMO.

Another question is if "space flight sim", "space combat sim" and "space trade/combat sim" should exclude each other, or if these form a subset relationship.

I've got problems with aspect of "Free Form" gameplay because it's a term of the space flight sims but I think it means the same as "Open World" in titles like GTA!

Crawly (1417) on 7/6/2011 6:34 AM · Permalink · Report

Bringing up two previously unanswered requests:

1) Games based on interactive television game shows
Games which were originally featured on interactive television game shows, and played by select audience members via the telephone.

Examples:

• Hugo
  • Hugo: Wild River
  • Tush-Tush
  • <hr>

2) Games revolved around the Arab-Israeli conflict
    Games based on the various aspects of the Arab-Israeli conflict.

Examples:

• Intifada
  • Wings over Israel
  • Under Ash
  • Under Siege
  • Jane's Combat Simulations: Israeli Air Force
  • Conflict: Middle East
  • Divided Ground: Middle East Conflict 1948-1973
  • Global Conflicts: Palestine
  • Southern Command
  • Conflict
  • Peacemaker

Unicorn Lynx (181775) on 7/6/2011 9:43 AM · Permalink · Report

The game groups Setting: Indian and Games revolving around Arab-Israeli conflict have been submitted.

A question concerning shoot-em-ups: since we have to include the original Space Invaders, do we include all Space Invaders variants? There are tons of such games here. Do you think they will clutter the group, or is it okay to lump them together with scrolling shoot-em-ups?

Personally, I'd prefer a group that only contains scrolling shoot-em-ups with flying protagonists. Is there any way to narrow the definition down to them? Should the name of such group be changed?

vedder (70856) on 7/6/2011 10:37 AM · Permalink · Report

approved

Rola (8483) on 7/6/2011 5:49 PM · Permalink · Report

Is that my dream fulfilled? Approvers working in unison to add new groups within days? Too good to be true!

vedder (70856) on 7/6/2011 8:12 PM · Permalink · Report

Finally I can remove that flagged e-mail. I no longer have to feel guilty about it!

vedder (70856) on 7/6/2011 10:43 AM · edited · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Unicorn Lynx wrote--]A question concerning shoot-em-ups: since we have to include the original Space Invaders, do we include all Space Invaders variants? There are tons of such games here. Do you think they will clutter the group, or is it okay to lump them together with scrolling shoot-em-ups?

Personally, I'd prefer a group that only contains scrolling shoot-em-ups with flying protagonists. Is there any way to narrow the definition down to them? Should the name of such group be changed? [/Q --end Unicorn Lynx wrote--]

I agree, one group for Scrolling Shoot 'em Ups (think we are ready to contribute that now). But I'd also like to see one for traditional fixed screen shoot 'em ups, but we'll have to determine which games are allowed in, i.e. do we want to restrict it to Space Invaders, Galaga type games, or also games such as Robotron 2084, Space War and Asteroids. Personally I'm in favour of including all such games with the restriction of a fixed screen and simplistic controls.

Speaking of Robotron, we desperately need a "Twin-Stick Shooter" gamegroup as well!

Edit: Removed Galaxians, because it's a scrolling game.

Unicorn Lynx (181775) on 7/6/2011 11:05 AM · Permalink · Report

Space trading and combat simulations game group has been submitted.

I will now work on the Space combat simulations and Scrolling shoot-'em-ups groups.

Unicorn Lynx (181775) on 7/6/2011 11:22 AM · Permalink · Report

Space combat simulations has been submitted.

Please add more games to it after it's been approved, as I really know little about these games and only added the proposed TIE Fighter and Wing Commander games.

Unicorn Lynx (181775) on 7/6/2011 12:13 PM · Permalink · Report

Scrolling shoot-'em-ups has been submitted.

DJSW, you are free to add the 100+ games to it once it's approved :)

j.raido 【雷堂嬢倪朗】 (95798) on 7/6/2011 1:55 PM · Permalink · Report

Only thing I'm still not sure about is the "flying" limitation -- some top-down shooters have a walking character, but are still very much shooters. See Undead Line, King's Knight, Adventures of Dino-Riki. I'd change "flying" to "unrestricted movement" to account for games like this, while still excluding platformers.

Unicorn Lynx (181775) on 7/6/2011 2:44 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

Edited and re-submitted!

Parf (7873) on 7/6/2011 3:42 PM · Permalink · Report

approved!

j.raido 【雷堂嬢倪朗】 (95798) on 7/7/2011 1:58 AM · Permalink · Report

...and about 60 games already submitted to add...went through our Mega Drive listings. ;)

Unicorn Lynx (181775) on 7/6/2011 11:27 AM · Permalink · Report

But I'd also like to see one for traditional fixed screen shoot 'em ups

One thing I don't quite understand: we have a group "Space Invaders clones" (which I requested to rename to "Space Invaders variants"). Should it not be the same as what you are suggesting? And shouldn't it include Galaga variants as well? I mean, Galaga is also a Space Invaders variant, is it not?

vedder (70856) on 7/6/2011 12:53 PM · Permalink · Report

Galaga could be considered a Space Invaders variant, but the other examples I gave could not but are still called Shoot 'em Ups. We also have a Galaga variant group by the way, and spacewar! games. But I think an overarching group would be useful to find similar games.

Crawly (1417) on 7/6/2011 1:41 PM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Unicorn Lynx wrote--]The game groups Setting: Indian and Games revolving around Arab-Israeli conflict have been submitted.[/Q --end Unicorn Lynx wrote--] Thanks, and touche on the well-written description. :)

Unicorn Lynx (181775) on 7/6/2011 2:37 PM · Permalink · Report

Thanks, and touche on the well-written description. :)

שלא יעזו להכתים את השם הטוב של מדינתנו! :))

Unicorn Lynx (181775) on 7/6/2011 6:03 PM · Permalink · Report

Beat 'em ups / Brawlers game group has been submitted. Let's think of adding more games to it - but be careful with the limitations I put into the description.

Next group I'm going to work on will be Fixed-screen shoot 'em ups - should be easy.

Afterwards, I plan to create groups for Japanese-style adventures and Japanese-style RPGs.

Parf (7873) on 7/6/2011 6:43 PM · Permalink · Report

The latter is going to about as big as the "hidden objects game" group I bet. ;)

Parf (7873) on 7/6/2011 6:46 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

Actually, I have a question about the group limitations... TMNT is ok, even if they use weapons, but Golden Axe isn't in?

edit: The Beat'em Up one that is...

Unicorn Lynx (181775) on 7/7/2011 2:40 AM · edited · Permalink · Report

Actually, I have a question about the group limitations... TMNT is ok, even if they use weapons, but Golden Axe isn't in?

Of course Golden Axe should be in! I just added a sample of beat 'em ups to the group, naturally there are hundreds I've missed. By all means, add Golden Axe games to the group after it has been approved :)

I hope the limitations are clear: melee weapons are absolutely ok, nobody said beat 'em ups are exclusively about unarmed combat. I just wrote that complete reliance on sword fighting deviates too much from the style - you know, the actual "beating" :)

Edit: I added three clearly brawler-ish Golden Axe games to the group; the other ones seem to deviate from the formula too much.

j.raido 【雷堂嬢倪朗】 (95798) on 7/7/2011 2:00 AM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Unicorn Lynx wrote--]Next group I'm going to work on will be Fixed-screen shoot 'em ups - should be easy. [/Q --end Unicorn Lynx wrote--] I think we also need a specific group for the 3D shoot 'em ups like Space Harrier and After Burner...they're definitely distinct from regular scrolling shmups. I can think of a few dozen games that would fit there. Most of them by Sega. :)

Unicorn Lynx (181775) on 7/7/2011 2:32 AM · edited · Permalink · Report

Hmm, After Burner is definitely out, since it plays more like a flight sim, right?

But what about Space Harrier? It is described as a rail shooter, but actually it's a scrolling shooter, just with a pseudo-3D view. Couldn't it fit into the Scrolling Shoot 'em Ups group?

j.raido 【雷堂嬢倪朗】 (95798) on 7/7/2011 2:46 AM · edited · Permalink · Report

I feel that there's enough of a common thread between these games -- After Burner, Space Harrier, Galaxy Force, G-LOC, Thunder Blade, Panorama Cotton, etc... -- that they deserve their own group. Would all of these count as rail shooters? When I think of that term, I think of light-gun games like Virtua Cop or House of the Dead, not Panzer Dragoon, though I guess the only difference really is whether it uses a light gun or a cursor.

Unicorn Lynx (181775) on 7/7/2011 3:00 AM · Permalink · Report

But in House of the Dead you can't move. I thought you could move in four directions in Space Harrier? Or do I remember wrong? It's been a while... :)

j.raido 【雷堂嬢倪朗】 (95798) on 7/7/2011 3:20 AM · edited · Permalink · Report

No, you're right. Mechanically, games like Space Harrier are very close to scrolling shooters. The viewpoint has a huge impact on the presentation of the game, though, and along with the relatively limited movement, places a far greater emphasis on dodging enemies and incoming fire instead of simply shooting everything down. I feel like it's a kind of hybrid between a shmup and a rail shooter.

Incidentally, while you claim Space Harrier is a shoot-'em-up, Wikipedia claims it's a rail shooter. ;)

vedder (70856) on 7/7/2011 6:53 AM · Permalink · Report

I see no reason not to have a group for these pseudo-3D scrolling kind-off rail shooters :) Just needs a accurate description. And obviously the borders will be fuzzy and some games might overlap into 2 of the groups (rail and or scrolling shmup, and or 3d shump).

Unicorn Lynx (181775) on 7/7/2011 6:55 AM · Permalink · Report

You guys go ahead and create the 3D group - my brain is numb after all those group descriptions :)

j.raido 【雷堂嬢倪朗】 (95798) on 7/8/2011 2:16 AM · Permalink · Report

Still trying to come up with a good name for the group. Something like 3D scrolling shooters, maybe? Chase-view shoot 'em ups? Space Harrier variants?

Tentative description:

Shooting games viewed from a perspective behind the player character. Similar to rail shooters, except that the player can move freely around the screen to shoot at or dodge enemies and other dangerous objects. The game continuously scrolls forward, and the player has little or no ability to affect the movement speed. Typified by the Sega arcade classic Space Harrier (1985).

To be eligible for this group, the player character must be both visible and controllable -- games where the character moves automatically and the player only needs to aim are classified as rail shooters and belong in that group.

<hr />

Incidentally, there's a bunch of these in the rail shooters group (3D Infinity, ExZeus, Star Fox) that should be removed. The group description there needs revision, too, as it specifically names these as acceptable.

Also, if there's an admin reading this, Wild Guns should be removed from that group too as it's a Cabal-type shooter, not a rail shooter, and it's already in the Cabal group. ;)

Unicorn Lynx (181775) on 7/7/2011 3:12 AM · Permalink · Report

Err... I just browsed through RPG + Anime/Manga and then through Adventure + Anime/Manga; the first has 954 games, the second 550 or so.

I guess I should abandon the idea of a group for JRPGs and J-Adventures. Besides, they just keep coming; especially in the latter case, so many of those are still not documented (some day I'm gonna add those 1000+ PC-98 hentai adventures...).

Unicorn Lynx (181775) on 7/7/2011 4:09 AM · Permalink · Report

Fixed screen shoot 'em ups game group has been submitted.

Any more game group requests? Bring it on, fellows :)

Alaka (106134) on 7/7/2011 5:16 AM · edited · Permalink · Report

Is River Raid allowed in the Scrolling shoot 'em ups group? The game continually scrolls but the player's plane can only move left and right at the bottom of the screen. Can this be an exception to the limitation of free movement in at least four directions?

As for a group request, since beat em up's are going to get their own group, shouldn't one on one fighters get their own group too?

Unicorn Lynx (181775) on 7/7/2011 5:27 AM · edited · Permalink · Report

Ouch. Yeah, of course it's allowed. I'll revise the description.

Versus fighting games group - coming up!

j.raido 【雷堂嬢倪朗】 (95798) on 7/7/2011 5:29 AM · edited · Permalink · Report

edit -- and your edit negated the need for my post :P

edit 2 -- Would such a fighting game group include Super Smash Bros.? :)

vedder (70856) on 7/7/2011 6:58 AM · Permalink · Report

I'd say yes to Super Smash Bros. It's very similar to more traditional 2 on 2 fighting games.

Would Karateka fall in the Beat 'em Up or Fighter game group?

Unicorn Lynx (181775) on 7/7/2011 8:01 AM · Permalink · Report

I'd say Karateka is more of a beat 'em up.

Parf (7873) on 7/7/2011 1:28 PM · Permalink · Report

What about the Power Stone games? Very similar to Smash Bros, but the gameplay is in 3D.

Unicorn Lynx (181775) on 7/7/2011 2:32 PM · Permalink · Report

Guys, before discussing which games should go where, please approve the groups themselves. I can't pull it out every time and add one more game.

Rola (8483) on 7/7/2011 4:53 PM · Permalink · Report

So don't do that, as you deprive us the pleasure of adding them ourselves :P On a serious note: I always check back the group that went online if it has all games I suggested on the forum.

Unicorn Lynx (181775) on 7/7/2011 6:44 AM · Permalink · Report

Versus fighting games group has been submitted.

Guys, I can only submit a few most popular games off the top of my head to these groups, so don't complain about me not adding a certain game - just approve the group and start adding by yourselves :)

Unicorn Lynx (181775) on 7/7/2011 4:48 PM · Permalink · Report

Beat 'em ups, Versus fighting games, and Space combat simulations are all online!

Start adding games! :)

chirinea (47495) on 7/7/2011 5:52 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

About the "no weapon" rule: I consider the Dark Seal/Gate of Doom to be beat'em up, but all characters use mid-range weapons in it. Should it be in or out?

Unicorn Lynx (181775) on 7/8/2011 3:14 AM · Permalink · Report

Even though you call them "beat em ups" in your description, I'd say no. They look like typical action "hack and slash" games to me. The heroes use magic and a variety of weapons, and also acquire items - doesn't feel like a beat 'em up.

The key word in beat 'em ups is beat up. You wouldn't say that you beat up your enemies in, say, Diablo games? The element of hand-to-hand fighting must be there. Weapons are allowed, but they should be predominantly blunt and close-range.

Of course, I might be mistaken, since I'm not familiar with these games, but that's the impression I got from the description and screenshots.

Unicorn Lynx (181775) on 7/8/2011 3:15 AM · Permalink · Report

Fixed-screen shoot-'em-ups group is online.

Lampbane (21221) on 7/9/2011 2:30 AM · Permalink · Report

After all this talk about fighting games and beat 'em ups/brawlers, it occurs to me:

Should we have separate groups for Mortal Kombat fighting games and Mortal Kombat action/adventure games?

Namely:

• Mortal Kombat Mythologies: Sub-Zero
  • Mortal Kombat: Special Forces
  • Mortal Kombat: Shaolin Monks These games are not one-on-one fighting games, so the description on the Mortal Kombat series page isn't accurate (yes, it can be rewritten) and they probably shouldn't even be in the versus fighting game group (Special Forces and Shaolin Monks are more platformer beat 'em ups). I think it would be best to have as game groups:
  • Mortal Kombat series (or Mortal Kombat franchise) as a catch-all
  • Mortal Kombat fighting games (games that feature one-on-one versus combat)
  • Mortal Kombat action/adventure games (games where the protagonists travel through levels fighting enemies in melee combat) Call them whatever you want, I'm just listing the distinctions here.

Unicorn Lynx (181775) on 7/9/2011 5:56 AM · Permalink · Report

In my opinion, all is needed is to rename the group to "Mortal Kombat games", and specify in the description that the group includes versus fighters and spin-offs.

...I will do this right now.

I wouldn't bother with a separate group just for the versus fighters, but you can create it if you want.

Lampbane (21221) on 7/9/2011 6:04 AM · Permalink · Report

What about the action/adventure MK games? No separate group necessary?

Unicorn Lynx (181775) on 7/9/2011 6:10 AM · Permalink · Report

What about the action/adventure MK games? No separate group necessary?

In my opinion, no - what if they make a MK turn-based RPG or a MK nude helicopter racing game or whatever? Will each of them need a separate group? :) It's good to have the "- games" group which embraces all titles with the license, and, in some cases, a "main series" group. I haven't really seen spin-offs getting their own groups much.

But that doesn't mean you can't create such a group. The more, the merrier. Just be cautious with the description :)

Lampbane (21221) on 7/9/2011 6:40 AM · edited · Permalink · Report

The best example I can think of is Final Fantasy games (for any FF games) versus Final Fantasy series (for the main numbered series). I've seen a few others.

Try this:

Mortal Kombat fighting games

Games that take place in the Mortal Kombat universe and adhere to the series' core game play of one-on-one versus battles, aka fighting games. The game play should consist almost entirely of the player versus a computer character, or the player versus another player, where two characters fight on a fixed screen until one of their life bars is depleted. At this point, the victorious player would have the choice of inflicting a "Fatality" or other such finishing move on their opponent.

Does not include games which are set in the Mortal Kombat universe but are not fighting games; such games may be beat 'em ups/brawlers or platform games, and may include some elements of fighting games, but they do not revolve around the central game play of one-on-one versus battles.

Includes:

• Mortal Kombat (1993)
  • Mortal Kombat II
  • Mortal Kombat 3
  • Mortal Kombat Trilogy
  • Ultimate Mortal Kombat 3
  • Mortal Kombat 4
  • Mortal Kombat Gold
  • Mortal Kombat Advance
  • Mortal Kombat: Deadly Alliance
  • Mortal Kombat: Tournament Edition
  • Mortal Kombat: Deception
  • Mortal Kombat: Deception: Premium Pack
  • Mortal Kombat: Armageddon
  • Mortal Kombat: Unchained
  • Mortal Kombat vs. DC Universe
  • Mortal Kombat vs DC Universe (Kollector's Edition)
  • Mortal Kombat (2011) I'd actually prefer to call this one "Mortal Kombat series" and have the current group have its name changed to "Mortal Kombat universe"

Unicorn Lynx (181775) on 7/9/2011 7:51 AM · edited · Permalink · Report

The other group has already been renamed to "Mortal Kombat games". "Universe" is usually reserved for games united by a common world, with emphasis on its geography, history, inhabitants, etc. Games united only by their main titles (license) and/or storyline and characters are typically categorized as just "games".

Your description is good, I just think it would be better to call the group simply "Mortal Kombat series". What do you think?

Lampbane (21221) on 7/9/2011 6:17 PM · Permalink · Report

I don't mind it being "Mortal Kombat series," though after I made that post last night it occurred to me that I think it would be better to omit the Mortal Kombat vs. DC Universe games, as even though they're fighting games, they're also spin-offs that aren't meant to be part of the main MK mythology.

So something like:

Games that strictly take place in the Mortal Kombat universe (with no crossover elements with other universes) and adhere to the series' core game play of one-on-one versus battles, aka fighting games. The game play should consist almost entirely of the player versus a computer character, or the player versus another player, where two characters fight on a fixed screen until one of their life bars is depleted. At this point, the victorious player would have the choice of inflicting a "Fatality" or other such finishing move on their opponent.

Does not include games which are set in the Mortal Kombat universe but are not fighting games; such games may be beat 'em ups/brawlers or platform games, and may include some elements of fighting games, but they do not revolve around the central game play of one-on-one versus battles. Also does not include games that crossover with other franchises, as these are spin-off games and not part of the main Mortal Kombat universe and its mythology.

Crawly (1417) on 7/9/2011 8:14 AM · edited · Permalink · Report

Since there are only three MK games that aren't fighting games, I have to say I don't see the point.

Lampbane (21221) on 7/10/2011 5:04 PM · Permalink · Report

Well, it's just that the Mortal Kombat fighting games (with the exception of Mortal Kombat vs. DCU, which I've already dropped from the proposal) are meant to be a series. Even if they dropped the numbering after MK4, the new games essentially function as MK5, MK6, etc., as they continue the story from the previous game. The non-fighting games aren't part of that "main" storyline, and we have created groups in the past to make those distinctions (like Suikoden, which has separate groups for the series and for the universe).

Unicorn Lynx (181775) on 7/10/2011 7:58 AM · Permalink · Report

I want to create a Tactical RPGs group. I want to differentiate between(predominantly) Western-style strategy games with RPG elements and (predominantly) Japanese games where the strategy is confined to tactics only, i.e. the actual battles - no resource management, no building, etc.

I can add all the Japanese games myself; I need help with the Western examples of this genre. Do games like Jagged Alliance and Gorky-17 count? Any other examples of similar Western games?

Rola (8483) on 7/10/2011 4:00 PM · Permalink · Report

Not sure if I understand correctly what you have on mind, but we definitely need a group for all those UFO/X-Com, Jagged Alliance, Wages of War, Squad Leader-wannabes. Got to love 'em, turn-based, tile-built, action points combat!

...oh wait, this sounds like Fallout, too? Now I'm confused...

Unicorn Lynx (181775) on 7/10/2011 4:26 PM · Permalink · Report

X-COM doesn't count. It has resource management and planning. I'm talking about games that go like this: intro - tactical battle - cutscene - tactical battle - cutscene - etc. They have nothing but battles taken from strategy RPGs, and are called "Tactical RPGs". Tactics Ogre, Langrisser, Final Fantasy Tactics, etc.

Making a group for strategy RPGs would make no sense, since those are easily found by browsing RPG + Strategy.

vedder (70856) on 7/10/2011 4:35 PM · Permalink · Report

I think for Japanese style Tactical RPGs the genre is quite clearly defined, but for Western games it'll be more difficult.

One the one side you have turn based RPGs like Fallout.

On the other hand you have RPGs like Baldur's Gate and Dragon Age (the first one at least) which heavily rely on tactical positioning but are in real-time (with commanding while paused I should add).

On another hand you have turn based tactics games that incorporate XP/Skill points such as Jagged Alliance and X-COM.

I'm not sure if you want to lump them in the same group, multiple groups may be required as not to infuriate the fanbase of either of these types of games. :)

Unicorn Lynx (181775) on 7/10/2011 5:22 PM · Permalink · Report

Games like Fallout and Baldur's Gate don't count, of course, since they have exploration. X-COM and Jagged Alliance don't count because they have resource management. X-COM is also not really an RPG at all.

Is there a Western strategy RPG similar to Jagged Alliance, but without any management, i.e. tactical battles only?

Patrick Bregger (301035) on 7/10/2011 6:18 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

Fallout Tactics comes to mind. I didn't play much of it, but I don't think it has management elements.

Rola (8483) on 7/10/2011 10:25 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

What counts as management? Fallout Tactics allows you to select your team members, gather cash to spend it on better gear etc. So does it fit or not?

Jagged Alliance - Deadly Games has missions only, loosely connected. You're rewarded with money, but otherwise you don't manage any production facilities as in X-Com or first Jagged Alliance, it's more like said Fallout Tactics ?

What about Deadline? (it's like the later Rainbow Six but with X-Com graphics)

What about Shadow Watch?

I like that style of gameplay, so I know a few other examples, I'm just not sure if I'm going in the right direction?

Unicorn Lynx (181775) on 7/11/2011 5:41 AM · Permalink · Report

I like that style of gameplay, so I know a few other examples, I'm just not sure if I'm going in the right direction?

You are. Managing team members and spending cash certainly counts, since these are activities present in "normal" RPGs as well. What I want to exclude from the group is precisely what you defined as the difference between JA: Deadly Games and the first Jagged Alliance. No production, no building, no long-term planning. Just battles and everything directly connected to them.

Rola (8483) on 7/11/2011 6:41 AM · Permalink · Report

Then add analogical example: "Jagged Alliance 2 : Unfinished Business"

Consider:
    Soldiers at War, Wages of War, Avalon Hill's Squad Leader, Laser Squad

vedder (70856) on 7/11/2011 8:19 PM · Permalink · Report

Blue Byte's Incubation series fits the bill.

vedder (70856) on 7/11/2011 7:22 PM · Permalink · Report

Dual/Twin-stick Shooters

This group serves for a very specific kind of Shoot 'em Up game that uses two joysticks or thumbsticks to control the main character. One stick is used to move in any direction, while the other is used to fire in any direction. Due to the nature of this control scheme it's possible to walk in one direction while firing in another.

This group is intended both for games that drop the player(s) in fixed arenas, games with forced scrolling levels and games that allow the player(s) to explore the environment at will.

Games:

Robotron 2084, Smash T.V., Geometry Wars, Assault Heroes, Gatling Gears

Unicorn Lynx (181775) on 7/12/2011 4:03 AM · Permalink · Report

Sounds great to me, just don't forget to put spaces before and after the slash in the title when submitting the group :)

Rola (8483) on 7/15/2011 2:12 AM · Permalink · Report

How about a group with games, where you can record your actions and then review them as a movie, changing camera modes etc.? Various titles come to mind, from Stunt Island, through X-Wing, to Driver.

j.raido 【雷堂嬢倪朗】 (95798) on 7/15/2011 3:41 AM · Permalink · Report

"Games with in-game replay editors"?

EA's skate series is another good example.

vedder (70856) on 7/15/2011 6:58 AM · Permalink · Report

Yeah, sounds like a fitting title.

Rola (8483) on 3/24/2012 2:49 PM · Permalink · Report

Games with recordable replays

Games in which you can record your gameplay and later review it. Usualy done in replay editor mode, which allows for changing camera views etc.

Limitations:
    Games which only offer short after-action instant replays (usually sport/racing games) do not qualify.
    Games which allow you to chase a "ghost" of yourself (usually racing games) do not qualify.

Rola (8483) on 9/10/2012 1:50 AM · Permalink · Report

Finally online, thanks to Sciere!

http://www.mobygames.com/game-group/gameplay-feature-recordable-replays

I never considered "video editor mode" a pre-requisite, so all games that internally record replays to a file (sometimes called "demo") should be valid.

eWarrior (4900) on 7/15/2011 2:30 PM · Permalink · Report

I'd like to propose 2 new game groups:

1) Dark Void series Should include Dark Void Zero and Dark Void.

2) Team Fortress series Should include Team Fortress Classic, Team Fortress 2, Team Fortress Complete and Garry's Mod + Team Fortress 2.

I think the TF series group used to exist but did it get removed?

Unicorn Lynx (181775) on 7/16/2011 6:02 PM · Permalink · Report

I made a Dark Void group by recycling a duplicate, but we should wait until an admin removes irrelevant games from it.

Kabushi (261212) on 7/16/2011 6:18 PM · Permalink · Report

I made a ballistics games group for games like Crush the Castle and Angry Birds. Suggestions for a better name or description are welcomed.

Zerobrain (3052) on 8/2/2011 10:00 AM · edited · Permalink · Report

Proposed Title: Game Engine: CPal3D

Proposed Description:

Games using the CPal3D Engine of Czech developer Centauri Production s.r.o.. See CPal3D homepage.

Example games:

• AlternativA (contribution wip)
    • Evil Days: Pound of Ground
    • Pat & Mat
    • MeMento Mori
    • Numen: Contest of Heroes
    • The Ro(c)k Con Artist
    • Evil Days of Luckless John
    • Gooka: The Mystery of Janatris
    • Domestic Violence: Game over
    • Ferdy the Ant

Proposed Title: Game Engine: CPal2

Proposed Description:

Games using the CPal2 Engine of Czech developer Centauri Production s.r.o.. See technology information at Centauri Production homepage.

Example games:

• Fairy Tale about Father Frost, Ivan and Nastya
    • 4 Leaf Clovers
    • The Fifth Disciple

CrankyStorming (2927) on 8/3/2011 7:53 PM · Permalink · Report

Since there are two of them now, we need a game group for the Okami series.

Unicorn Lynx (181775) on 8/10/2011 6:12 AM · Permalink · Report

I've submited the Ōkami group. Thanks for submitting the new entry, but please be a bit more thorough with title spellings (and sometimes genre choices) in the future. I had to request title and genre corrections for a few games submitted by you recently.

Lampbane (21221) on 8/10/2011 3:01 AM · Permalink · Report

Reposting...

Homestar Runner games

Description: Games that take place within the Homestar Runner universe, featuring characters and/or situations from that universe.

Limitations: Does not include games by Videlectrix that are set in a separate universe.

Example games:

• Awexome Cross
  • Dangeresque Roomisode 1: Behind the Dangerdesque
  • Population: Tire
  • Strong Bad's Rhino Feeder
  • Secret Collect.
  • Strong Bad Zone
  • Egg Throwing Game
  • Fishing Challenge '91
  • Peg Strong Sad
  • Strong Bad's Treat Snatcha
  • TROGDOR! and all of the games in this game group.

Unicorn Lynx (181775) on 8/10/2011 4:25 AM · Permalink · Report

Looks good, but could you please add a sentence or two about what Homestar Runner universe is? Who created it? What unites the game in there? I'm asking you because I have not the slightest idea :)

Lampbane (21221) on 8/10/2011 5:49 AM · Permalink · Report

No problem, try this:

Games that take place within the Homestar Runner universe of online animated shorts, featuring characters and/or situations from that universe.

Homestar Runner was created by Mike Chapman and Craig Zobel in 1996, with the animated shorts beginning in 2000, written and animated by Mike and his brother Matt Chapman. The main series of animated shorts stars title character Homestar Runner (a dim-witted athlete in a red shirt) and his various friends (such as Marzipan, The Cheat, and Coach Z). The shorts spawned a successful spin-off series called Strong Bad Email where the supporting character Strong Bad answers emails, and this series is where most of the Homestar Runner-inspired games originate, most notably the Strong Bad's Cool Game for Attractive People episodic game.

Unicorn Lynx (181775) on 8/10/2011 6:09 AM · Permalink · Report

Excellent. The group has been submitted and is pending approval.

Starbuck the Third (22606) on 8/10/2011 2:48 PM · Permalink · Report

Been going through the database searching for game groups for games series that need new or improved descriptions, and have found a few that don't exist yet and was wondering if they could be added. They are:

• LittleBigPlanet series,
    • DJ Hero,
    • COD: Modern Warfare,
    • C&C tiberium series
    • and The Star Trek: Starship Creator series.

As long as they get added, I'm prepared to write the description and add games personally. Heck, I'd create them personally, too, If I could.

Anywho's, thanks in advance.

Cantillon (77271) on 8/11/2011 11:54 AM · Permalink · Report

Don't know what you mean with Tiberium series. I've added the others

Starbuck the Third (22606) on 8/11/2011 2:32 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

well you know the red alert side of the C&C franchise? the tiberium side of the franchise is basically the rest (except for general's) that deals with the GDI and Nod fighting over tiberium.

Anyhows, thanks for the rest. much appreciated.

EDIT: Can't seem to find the other game groups, they're not showing up when I search for them, not even when I only have the game group tick box ticked.

EDIT2: Scratch that, got 'em.

Kabushi (261212) on 8/11/2011 2:54 PM · Permalink · Report

We have a Tiberian Sun group. I think that could be expanded to include the whole main C&C series.

Cantillon (77271) on 8/11/2011 10:10 PM · Permalink · Report

Got the COD group wipped: "Don't know if this is needed. Are the Modern Warfare actually any different at all from other CoD games other than the branding?"

vedder (70856) on 8/12/2011 8:19 AM · Permalink · Report

The Modern Warfare series has a continuing storyline that's separate from the other Call of Duty games (which don't have a continuing storyline that I know of).

Kabushi (261212) on 8/12/2011 8:25 AM · Permalink · Report

That's ok for a group then. I first thought there was less difference between MW and Blops than there actually is. Go ahead and resubmit the group.

Starbuck the Third (22606) on 8/12/2011 3:20 PM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Cantillon wrote--]Got the COD group wipped: "Don't know if this is needed. Are the Modern Warfare actually any different at all from other CoD games other than the branding?" [/Q --end Cantillon wrote--]

Well the case I would make is that if the C&C Red Alert games deserves there own game group, so do the modern warfare's. They've got a storyline that carries over between games and is distinguishable from the rest of the Call of Duty games.

Cantillon (77271) on 8/12/2011 3:40 PM · Permalink · Report

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare series

Starbuck the Third (22606) on 8/12/2011 5:03 PM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Cantillon wrote--]Call of Duty: Modern Warfare series [/Q --end Cantillon wrote--]

Sweet. Writing description now. Thanks and much love.

Kabushi (261212) on 8/11/2011 8:47 PM · Permalink · Report

Added: Genre: Open world driving

Rola (8483) on 8/12/2011 6:50 PM · Permalink · Report

I don't have intimate knowledge about these games, so please check them if they could qualify to this group: Car & Driver, Monster Truck Madness, Carmageddon - my impression was that you could take your own route in them?

Starbuck the Third (22606) on 8/13/2011 4:11 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

Im not so sure about this one, but I might have another possible game group: Medal of Honor: Heroes. There's two of them, but aside from the name, I can't see that they have much else in common.

Thoughts, anyone?

Edit: one that does: Battlefield: bad company

Scaryfun (20370) on 8/20/2011 2:16 AM · edited · Permalink · Report

Any chance of getting these approved? I suggested them in the previous Game Group Request 5 thread.

[Q --start Scaryfun wrote--]Proposed Title - Setting: African

Proposed Description: Games that take place, partially or entirely, on the African continent in such countries as Ethiopia, Kenya, Somalia, Madagascar, Congo, Libya, Morocco, South Africa, and Nigeria among others. Games not specifically indicated as in an African country but with obvious African animals in the environment (jungle, desert, etc.) should be included.

Limitations: Games set in Egypt have a separate game group and should not be included.

Example games:

• Africa Trail Army Ranger: Mogadishu Congo the Movie: Descent into Zinj Jungle Hunt
  • Proposed Title - Setting: Australian

Proposed Description: Games that take place, partially or entirely, on the Australian continent including the island of Tasmania. Games not specifically indicated as Australia but with obvious Australian animals in the environment should be included.

Limitations: Games set in New Zealand are not allowed or you'll get the kiwis angry.

Example games:

• Dirt Track Racing: Australia Ty the Tasmanian Tiger AFL '98 Sydney 2000
  • Proposed Title - Protagonist: Alien

Proposed Description: Games that have a non-human alien life-form not native to Earth as the playable character. They can have a humanoid form (a being with a head, two legs and arms that walks upright) but should have a non-human characteristic.

Limitations: If the protagonist was born on another planet but has no discernible differences from humans on Earth, they should not be included.

Example games:

• E.T. The Extra-Terrestrial Klingon Honour Guard Destroy All Humans!
  • Proposed Title - Protagonist: Robot

Proposed Description: Games where you play as a mechanical being that is powered by electricity and computer instructions as opposed to an organic life-form which is created and eventually dies. This includes androids (robots that resemble a humanoid with a head, two arms and legs).

Limitations: Mechanical robots which are operated by a human are not included (such as battle mechs). Cyborgs which are biological beings implanted with artificial (electronic, mechanical or robotic) parts are also not included.

Example games:

• Astro Boy Mega Man Short Circuit Transformers: War for Cybertron
  • [/Q --end Scaryfun wrote--]

Lampbane (21221) on 8/20/2011 2:27 AM · edited · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Scaryfun wrote--] [Q2 --start Unicorn Lynx wrote--]Proposed Title - Setting: African

Proposed Description: Games that take place, partially or entirely, on the African continent in such countries as Ethiopia, Kenya, Somalia, Madagascar, Congo, Libya, Morocco, South Africa, and Nigeria among others. Games not specifically indicated as in an African country but with obvious African animals in the environment (jungle, desert, etc.) should be included.

Limitations: Games set in Egypt have a separate game group and should not be included.

Example games:

• Africa Trail Army Ranger: Mogadishu Congo the Movie: Descent into Zinj Jungle Hunt
  • [/Q2 --end Unicorn Lynx wrote--] [/Q --end Scaryfun wrote--]

If I may make a suggestion: There's always the possibility we might make a "Setting: Middle East" category at some point in the future, and then countries like Morocco, Libya, and Egypt would belong in that group too.

I guess what I'm saying is if we're going to exclude Egypt because it has its own game group, then we should be aware of the possibility that we might have to move these countries at some point.

Unicorn Lynx (181775) on 8/20/2011 10:03 AM · edited · Permalink · Report

If I may make a suggestion: There's always the possibility we might make a "Setting: Middle East" category at some point in the future, and then countries like Morocco, Libya, and Egypt would belong in that group too.

There is already a Middle East group.

There is no harm in including games that take place in Marocco or Algier in both African and Middle Eastern groups.

I agree that Egyptian games should not be included.

I'll get to submitting these groups soon.

Pseudo_Intellectual (66362) on 8/20/2011 3:30 PM · Permalink · Report

Some Egyptian games make sense as Egypt games (Pyramid builder 2000!) ... others make sense as Africa games (Egypt: campaigns against Nubia), and other make sense as Middle East games (Egypt/Israel border skirmishes). This context will clearly indicate to us where to file them.

Lampbane (21221) on 8/20/2011 5:22 PM · Permalink · Report

Well, that's a historical Middle East group. Are we planning on doing just a basic Middle East group? I was looking at the list of game groups and there seems to be a deficit in that area, in both the "setting" and "conflict" categories.

Unicorn Lynx (181775) on 8/20/2011 5:26 PM · Permalink · Report

Well, that's a historical Middle East group.

I will revise the group's name to Setting: Middle East, clear and simple. "Historical" makes no sense: what is present time today is history tomorrow. Of course this group should include all games set in the Middle East or Middle East-like fantasy worlds, just like our Chinese group includes all games set in China and China-like fantasy countries.

I was looking at the list of game groups and there seems to be a deficit in that area, in both the "setting" and "conflict" categories..

Suggest more, provide some basic description and several game examples, and I will add new groups.

Scaryfun (20370) on 8/20/2011 9:23 PM · Permalink · Report

Traditionally "Middle East" does not include Pakistan, Afghanistan, and any other African country besides Egypt. See here - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Middle_East

Greater Middle East is a political term coined by the George W. Bush administration which adds more muslim countries to the mix.

Here's one group suggestion, I wasn't sure about adding the War In Afghanistan as it is a similar conflict but if you want the group could be changed to U.S. 1990-2010 Middle East Wars :

Proposed Title - Historical conflict: U.S.-Iraq Gulf Wars

Proposed Description: Games that take place during the 1990-1991 Gulf War (after Iraq invaded Kuwait, U.S. forces along with Saudi Arabia, United Kingdom, Egypt, and other coalition forces repelled Saddam Hussein's forces though he was left in power), the enforcing of the ensuing no-fly zone over the country and the controversial 2003-2010 Iraq War by U.S., United Kingdom and other coalition forces as a post-9/11 preemptive strike to prevent Saddam's accumulation of weapons of mass destruction though none were ever found. Sectarian violence, Sunni and Shia group conflicts, and an insurgency against occupying forces lengthened the war beyond the initial invasion.

Limitations: Games set in the post-9/11 War In Afghanistan by U.S. and coalition forces against Al-Qaeda and the Taliban government should not be included.

Example games:

• Kuma\War Back to Baghdad Conflict: Desert Storm

Pseudo_Intellectual (66362) on 8/20/2011 11:19 PM · Permalink · Report

Could also use an explicit omission of the Iran-Iraq war. Is it really useful or interesting to lump these two conflicts into one group just to also catch the interwar setting?

Lampbane (21221) on 8/21/2011 5:23 AM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Scaryfun wrote--]Traditionally "Middle East" does not include Pakistan, Afghanistan, and any other African country besides Egypt. See here - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Middle_East

Greater Middle East is a political term coined by the George W. Bush administration which adds more muslim countries to the mix.

[/Q --end Scaryfun wrote--]

Actually, the inclusion of North Africa as part of the Middle East has been around a lot longer than George W. Bush, as that Wikipedia article indicates (the definitions seem to change regularly) and for what little it's worth since I can't link it here, it's how my high school "Global Studies" textbook defined the region (and that was published over twenty years ago).

Because the list of the countries that people consider "Middle East" has changed over time, this could be a tricky game group to define, I admit.

Unicorn Lynx (181775) on 8/21/2011 7:39 AM · Permalink · Report

Afghanistan and Pakistan are definitely not Middle East. That's also not what my definition says. It says "West Asia and North Africa". Iraq is still Middle East but Iran is already Central Asia.

As for North Africa, I agree that if Egypt is Middle East then so are Lybia, Tunis, Algier and Marocco.

Pseudo_Intellectual (66362) on 8/21/2011 5:39 PM · Permalink · Report

I'd happily and comfortably describe the Middle East as the area sandwiched between the Eastern Mediterranean and the Persian Gulf. Egypt shares a border with Israel, which is definitely part of the Middle East (one of its burning issues, along with oil) and has flexed it on occasion. The Levant is its core, along with the Arabian peninsula; I'd go as far as to include Turkey and Cyprus, but probably not Greece. I say Iraq is in but not Iran (though Wikipedia disagrees -- this "Greater Middle East" business ("a political term coined by the Bush administration") is pure nonsense). West Africa is near the same theatre but its concerns are pretty distinct; as you could say the same of eg. Italy, Malta and Bulgaria, but you wouldn't include them, I opt out of lumping in Libya, Algeria, Tunisia and Morocco. Ditto for Central Asia -- if your main body of water are the Black or Caspian seas, you are outside my scope of Middle East.

Now, do I have a compelling rationale for all these arbitrary decisions? Not really 8)

Pseudo_Intellectual (66362) on 8/21/2011 5:43 PM · Permalink · Report

I was going to look up participants in the Yom Kippur war to back-justify my choices, but when I saw I'd then be forced to categorize Pakistan, Morocco, Cuba and North Korea as Middle Eastern countries I threw in the towel. (Conversely, the support of the former two can't automatically cast the Middle East net over them since it can't possibly fall over the latter two.)

Unicorn Lynx (181775) on 8/21/2011 6:29 PM · Permalink · Report

Hmm, you do have a point.

I'll revise the description to exclude non-Egypt North African countries.

Unicorn Lynx (181775) on 8/21/2011 7:40 AM · Permalink · Report

By the way, how about Setting: Native American? We've discussed that, but I forgot where. Any game suggestions?

Patrick Bregger (301035) on 8/21/2011 7:55 AM · edited · Permalink · Report

Wasn't this Native American protagonist? I assume there would be a big overlap between Native American setting and Western setting.

Rola (8483) on 8/21/2011 1:36 PM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Unicorn Lynx wrote--]but I forgot where[/Q --end Unicorn Lynx wrote--] Here. It was just month ago.

Unicorn Lynx (181775) on 8/21/2011 5:21 PM · Permalink · Report

New groups submitted:

Setting: African

Setting: Australian / Oceanian

Protagonist: Alien

Protagonist: Vampire

Protagonist: Demon

Protagonist: Robot

Feel free to add more games once these are approved, but please read the limitations!

General Error (4329) on 8/31/2011 9:46 PM · Permalink · Report

After all these years, I'm BACK! And I've got a new and interesting game group.

<hr />

GAME GROUP:

Theme: Software Development

Description: Game who deal internally with the production and/or development of software.

Games: Software Star (C64/CPC/Spec, Addictive 1985) Software House (Spec, Cult 1988) Software Manager (Amiga/DOS, 1994) The Truth About Game Development (Windows, 2007)

<hr />

Games marked * are in process of being added by yours truly.

Whatcha thinks?

Pseudo_Intellectual (66362) on 8/31/2011 11:45 PM · Permalink · Report

Add Game Dev Story and you've got a killer group!

Unicorn Lynx (181775) on 9/2/2011 3:19 AM · Permalink · Report

Shouldn't it be a Genre: Simulation - Software development? It seems that in the games you mentioned it's more than just a theme.

General Error (4329) on 9/2/2011 11:46 AM · Permalink · Report

Indeed, the games are more or less simulations of software development; but I'd like to leave the group open enough for any kind of software-development-themed games, not just managerial simulations. (I admit it's hard to think of a software development shooter, but hey -- everything's possible in this crazy world!)

But in the end, the "simulation" tag would be okay for me.

vedder (70856) on 9/2/2011 12:24 PM · Permalink · Report

It's not really a genre, because most of those games listed have completely different game mechanics

CrankyStorming (2927) on 9/17/2011 10:59 AM · Permalink · Report

How about 'Street Fighter II variants', which would be a group of every Capcom-sequel-stagnated version of that game? It would be a lot easier for people who aren't accustomed to the series to look up the version on their console than looking through the series group and all the other versions of the other games. We could probably do something similar for a lot of games that have been remade multiple times.

ИггО Друге (46653) on 9/18/2011 11:36 PM · Permalink · Report

I'm wondering what a group for "Blitz" style games should be called.

It's the kind of very basic game, often controlled with only one button, where an airplane flies across the screen. There's a city at the bottom. Each time the plane crosses the screen border, it reappears at the other end, but further down. You have to drop bombs on the city to level the ground so that you may land.

It's at least so old and simplistic that it was a common CHIP-8 game, and possibly the game represented on the most platforms. I'm familiar with it under the genre name "Blitz", but we have already Air Attack, New York Bomb Blitz and Blitz 64 on file.

Pseudo_Intellectual (66362) on 9/19/2011 6:03 AM · Permalink · Report

Define the group and populate it; we can always change the name later.

ƑreddÆŽ (5833) on 9/20/2011 6:36 AM · Permalink · Report

Din's Curse also needs it's own group since the expansion (Demon War) has been added to Moby

Also noticed there is 2 Farming Simulator titles on moby but no group for them

ИггО Друге (46653) on 9/21/2011 2:59 PM · Permalink · Report

We now have "Blitz variants" group. Feel free to add all games you find.

Tao_ (210) on 10/9/2011 7:06 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

Hi !
    There is 2 game groups adds that I would like to suggest here. Both are famous middlewares in game industry, and are state-of-the-art actual APIs and are used in many recent video games.

Middleware: FMOD Ex SoundSystem
    => see fmod.org. It's a sound system middleware used in Bioshock 2, Crytek games etc...

Middleware: FaceFX
    => see facefx.com. It's a developpement toolkit for facial animations based on audio files. Used in Deus Ex 3, GoW 3 etc...

I can add games using this APIs after they have been created :-)

Thanks in advance !

PS : sorry for my bad english ^^

Rola (8483) on 10/10/2011 4:54 AM · Permalink · Report

How do I look for MUDs on our site? Maybe a group could be helpful here?

Pseudo_Intellectual (66362) on 10/10/2011 6:02 AM · Permalink · Report

MUDs were last engaged in the thread over at http://www.mobygames.com/forums/dga,2/dgb,8/dgm,154838/ ... if you like you can write a group description and possibly explain why all the entries here are somewhat backdoored into the database through some loopholes. Up to you whether to have pure MUDs only or also MUCKs, MOOs and MUSHes, and what their distinguishing characteristics and qualities are.

Kabushi (261212) on 10/13/2011 2:11 PM · Permalink · Report

Anyone know of a good name for a group consisting of games like Canabalt and Robot Unicorn Attack?

Running games? Run and jump games? Canabalt variants?

I kinda doubt Canabalt was the first of the kind, even if it's the most famous one.

Scaryfun (20370) on 10/14/2011 4:20 AM · Permalink · Report

Some suggestions for standardization of groups:

Manga / anime licensees should change to Inspiration: Manga / Anime since other licensees are for one specific title. Also TV Game Show games should be Inspiration: TV game shows, and Board game translations should be Inspiration: Board Games. To group authors together, William Gibson licensees should be Inspiration: Author - William Gibson, and Richard Scarry licensees should be Inspiration: Author - Richard Scarry.

Can we also add Inspiration: Author - Stephen King
    Games based either on Stephen King's writings or adaptations of his stories to other media such as movies.
    The Lawnmower Man
    Stephen King's F13: Ctrl, Alt, ...Shiver
    The Mist
    The Running Man
    The Dark Half

Tien Thuy Le Nguyen (2237) on 10/27/2011 10:58 AM · Permalink · Report

Can anyone here help me create two gamegroups called The Lost Files of Sherlock Holmes series and Jack the Ripper games? Thanks a lot.

P.S: I'm no approver!

ƑreddÆŽ (5833) on 11/6/2011 11:36 PM · Permalink · Report

we could do with a "Dota Like" group as well, since there is a few games out now borrowing ideas from it. like

Demigod, League of Legends and Heroes of Newerth

leilei (343) on 11/25/2011 1:06 AM · edited · Permalink · Report

Games with Chinese mythology.

I may be biased in this suggestion.

GAMEBOY COLOR! (1990) on 12/1/2011 9:27 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

Inspired by a game that I submitted the other day, (Somebody already added screenshots! woo!) I think there should be a game group for games with only a letter or number for a title. Doesn't matter what type of game it is, so long as it only has one letter or number for a title. Try doing a Google search for X, and let frustration ensue.

PolloDiablo (16852) on 12/3/2011 11:05 PM · Permalink · Report

Proposed new game group: The Hidden Mystery Collectives series. A series of compilations of casual games.

To be included: shovelware like this There's many more out there e.g. Haunted Puppet show Awakening

CalaisianMindthief (8172) on 12/22/2011 12:52 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

Posting for discussion. Should it be Setting or Historical Conflict?

Setting: Hundred Years War

This group includes all the games that take place in France and the Low Countries between 1337 and 1453. Titles centered around the historical figure of Joan of Arc (Jeanne d'Arc) apply here. Games that give you control of one of the belligerent kingdoms, be it allies of France or England, with the primary goal of participating in the Hundred Years War, also apply to this group. Games that take place in England of the same period do not belong here, unless the player will eventually set foot on French soil.

Background: The Hundred Years War is a series of destructive wars between the House of Plantagenet (England) and House of Valois (France) waged over a variety of reasons, of which the main one is inheriting the French crown and tenures that depend on it. The term "Hundred Years War" was invented in the 19th century and is largely symbolical, as the conflict itself lasted for 116 years (1337 - 1453) according to most historians. Even this chronological designation is largely arbitrary, because the fighting over English fiefs in France was a common occurence starting with the 12th century.

The dispute began in 1328, when Charles IV of France died with no sons, and Edward III of England, duke of Guyenne (part of France) and Charles' nephew, laid claim to the French throne, along other candidates. A special council settled the question in count of Valois' favor, who became Philip VI of France, a decision accepted initially by Edward. In his efforts to centralize the country, though, Philip VI viewed the possesion of Guyenne by a foreign king as particularly dangerous, and in 1337 tried to take a hold of it. That convinced Edward III to renew his claim to the French crown, and subsequently invaded French territory.

The Hundred Years War intially developped in England's favor, as France was almost entirely occupied by its armies at one point. The battles were separated by frequent periods of truce and dishonest armistices. They were fought primarily in France and the Low Countries, but skirmishes triggered by the French armies on the south coast of England and by their allies, the Scotts in the North also happened. The greatest battles took place at Crécy (1346), Poitiers (1356), Agincourt (1415), Orléans (1428-29).

Titles that apply:

http://www.mobygames.com/game/bladestorm-the-hundred-years-war - Bladestorm: The Hundred Years War

http://www.mobygames.com/game/joan-of-arc-siege-and-the-sword - Joan of Arc: Siege and the Sword

http://www.mobygames.com/game/windows/wars-and-warriors-joan-of-arc - Wars and Warriors: Joan of Arc

http://www.mobygames.com/game/psp/jeanne-darc - Jeanne d'Arc (maybe)

qwertyuiop (50154) on 1/6/2012 6:50 AM · Permalink · Report

http://www.mobygames.com/game-group/berenstain-bears-licensees and http://www.mobygames.com/game-group/berenstain-bears-games should probably be merged. Both have an identical list of games.

Patrick Bregger (301035) on 1/14/2012 9:09 PM · Permalink · Report

I thought about splitting the Genre: Board game - Risk group into official Risk adaptions and risk variants which only adapt the playing principle.

Games which would be split from the current group:
    Lords of Conquest
    Risk (I don't think this one is official)
    Aggression (This is a risk game? Somehow I don't see it.)
    Conquest
    WinRisk
    Lux (pending)
    Ancient Empires Lux (pending)

That would be seven games in the unofficial and nine games in the official group. And I am sure there are enough more games out there to populate the unofficial group. Thoughts?

Alaka (106134) on 1/14/2012 9:24 PM · Permalink · Report

I agree with you that it should be made into two separate groups. Global War is another Risk variant by the way.

Pseudo_Intellectual (66362) on 1/14/2012 10:07 PM · Permalink · Report

I thought about splitting the Genre: Board game - Risk group into official Risk adaptions and risk variants which only adapt the playing principle.

Hang on, the distinguishing principle here is just sorting officially-licensed Risk boardgame adaptations from generic and unlicensed clones of it?

Knock yourself out!

Patrick Bregger (301035) on 1/15/2012 9:55 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

A series of game groups with the following description:

This group collects all games which have a variant of game as mini game. For the purposes of this group, a mini game is defined as a game section which breaks with the main gameplay mechanics and is started within the main game, e.g. by approaching an arcade machine or when a certain plot point is reached. It is not relevant if the mini game is optional or required.

The game variant group would be restricted to games for which the main gameplay principle closely resembles the game in question. An example would be "Space Invaders" or "Sliding puzzle".

My problem is what to do with those big software collections of previously unreleased games, e.g. Ultimate Board Game Collection or 100-in-one Klik & Play Pirate Kart. Their single games definitely need to be collected in game groups, but I don't know which of the two fits better. A third game group would be a bit excessive.

Parf (7873) on 1/15/2012 10:09 PM · Permalink · Report

There are so many games using mini games of a totally different playstyle (and usually inspired by an older game) that this would be the next "hidden object game" sized group in no time at all.

I wouldn't mind helping out to fill it obviously, just saying. ;)

Patrick Bregger (301035) on 1/16/2012 6:13 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

In case I wasn't clear, I don't propose a general mini game group, but a separate group for every mini game; at least the more popular ones which are used in five games or more. I think this is worth tracking, but I don't want to see mini games and games centered around the one gameplay mechanic mixed together in one game group.

For example, just like the Genre: Card / Tile game - Poker and Gameplay feature: Poker. But I want to unite those under the "mini game" banner because "Gameplay feature: Space Invaders" sounds dumb.

Patrick Bregger (301035) on 1/16/2012 8:44 PM · Permalink · Report

Oh the other hand, there are also those puzzle games (or many modern mixed puzzle/hidden object games) which feature single puzzles based on such concepts, e.g. concentration. I'd like to track those, too, but they don't really fit with the mini game concept (if the main gameplay concept is to present one puzzle after another). Hm.

Lain Crowley (6629) on 1/16/2012 9:02 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Patrick Bregger wrote--]It is not relevant if the mini game is optional or required. [/Q --end Patrick Bregger wrote--]

EDIT: OK, now I get what you're saying, but this should be reworded to 'The minigame can be either optional or required.'

Rola (8483) on 2/23/2012 7:57 PM · Permalink · Report

Currently a game can have Freeware/Shareware/Commercial set in its tech-specs. As far as I know there is no group for games "hey, it's free to play! however as you leave the newbie area you'll get pwned, so buy upgrades/premium content/platinum emaralds paying with real $", usually browser MMOs. Example: Dark Orbit. Not sure how to name it: "Free-to-play games with paid premium content"?

vedder (70856) on 2/23/2012 10:20 PM · Permalink · Report

Freemium?

chirinea (47495) on 2/24/2012 1:32 PM · Permalink · Report

It was once discussed in the approver forums to have "Free-to-play" added as a business model. I guess we're talking about the same thing here, so it would be better to have it added to the business models. I understand creating a groups is a way of making it easier to add the feature properly in the future, but I guess we shouldn't wait for this one.

Rola (8483) on 3/8/2012 7:08 PM · Permalink · Report

Shouldn't we have a series for Microsoft Entertainment Pack?

Pseudo_Intellectual (66362) on 3/8/2012 7:17 PM · Permalink · Report

The answer is yes.

POMAH (66430) on 3/11/2012 12:58 AM · edited · Permalink · Report

I propose to create a Game group "Technology: FaceFX" ...The description of the group may be taken from http://www.facefx.com/page/facefx ...and a number of games may be taken from http://www.facefx.com/game-titles ...Wolfenstein is one of them amongst 150 others...thanks...:-)

j.raido 【雷堂嬢倪朗】 (95798) on 3/24/2012 7:14 AM · edited · Permalink · Report

This one seems like a no-brainer to me. Someone feel free to tighten this up and submit it.

Theme: Game Development

Description: Games that are, themselves, about the game development process. This can include business simulations, as well as more traditional games that use the games industry as the primary theme.

Limitations: The primary theme of the game must be game development. Games that include it as a secondary or tertiary theme are to be excluded. For example, a business simulation that includes it among a variety of other industries, or an otherwise traditional game that includes a "developer's room" where the player can meet the staff. Game construction kits are also to be excluded.

Examples: Game Dev Story, Segagaga, Under Development

I know there's more. As an example, I saw a game development-themed tower defense game on XBLIG a while back (though I don't think I ever got around to submitting it).

Unicorn Lynx (181775) on 3/24/2012 8:04 AM · Permalink · Report

Submitted.

CalaisianMindthief (8172) on 3/25/2012 11:12 AM · Permalink · Report

I just noticed that a large portion of the anime / manga licensees are not yet added to the respective group. Hmm... I might do that after I finish my thesis.

Rola (8483) on 3/31/2012 9:38 AM · Permalink · Report

How about Hybrid board / computer games, such as Tanktics, where you get a map and counters in game package, required to play, as the computer serves only as "calculator" and does not visualize the battle?

Pseudo_Intellectual (66362) on 3/31/2012 10:32 PM · Permalink · Report

Infocom's "Suspended" worked this way also. And, well, lots of early games like some chess sims.

vedder (70856) on 4/1/2012 1:50 PM · Permalink · Report

I think most of the Magnavox Odyssey games as well

Kabushi (261212) on 4/1/2012 2:02 PM · Permalink · Report

The Eye of Judgment is a later example.

Rola (8483) on 4/1/2012 9:03 PM · Permalink · Report

I see we agree on the importance of such group.

Hybrid board / computer games

Games which require real (physical) items, such as boards (maps) with counters/tokens/figures or cards, to conduct gameplay. These are usually included with game package.
    Many early strategy games were of this dual nature, as the simple computers couldn't display complex graphical maps on the screen. Players moved their armies on the board, the computer program served as result calculator (sometimes also as AI opponent).

Limitations:
    Not to be confused with Board game translations group.
    Not to be confused with Board / Party Game genre.
    *Many other games included extra printed material important for gameplay as an addition to standard manual. Some special editions are packed with collectors' items, such as figures. These games do not qualify.

Rola (8483) on 4/7/2012 7:31 PM · Permalink · Report

...it's online! thnx!

CalaisianMindthief (8172) on 4/7/2012 2:00 PM · Permalink · Report

How about a group for Alternate History: Nazi Victory in WWII?

Patrick Bregger (301035) on 4/7/2012 7:36 PM · Permalink · Report

Any examples? From the top of my head I can only think of Kronolog: The Nazi Paradox.

Rola (8483) on 4/7/2012 7:46 PM · Permalink · Report

The only example I can think of features time travel - the protagonist has to go back to stop Nazis from winning the war etc.

• Mortyr (2093 - 1944)

CalaisianMindthief (8172) on 4/7/2012 8:15 PM · Permalink · Report

I was primarily considering Kronolog and Turning Point: Fall of Liberty, thinking there would definitely be some other titles. Unfortunately I just checked and most games I thought would explore this setting are actually about Soviet hegemony. Bummer.

Pseudo_Intellectual (66362) on 4/7/2012 8:51 PM · Permalink · Report

Here's a few:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Axis_victory_in_World_War_II#Video_Games

Of course, the Soviet hegemony would make for a good group also.

Parf (7873) on 4/8/2012 5:33 PM · Permalink · Report

C&C: Red Alert being the most obvious one. :)

GTramp (81963) on 5/11/2012 12:17 PM · Permalink · Report

How about "X-Change series"? This http://www.mobygames.com/game/windows/x-change , that http://www.mobygames.com/game/windows/x-change-2 and a few others, you know.

CalaisianMindthief (8172) on 5/27/2012 1:15 PM · Permalink · Report

I can create a group for this, but do we include the Yin-Yang games here as well? They are X-Change spinoffs.

GTramp (81963) on 5/27/2012 1:21 PM · Permalink · Report

"X-change Universe" (or smth similar) covering main series and spin-offs can be a solution.

chirinea (47495) on 6/6/2012 12:33 AM · edited · Permalink · Report

Just a heads up: about 2 years ago, Rola asked for some new WWI "Aircraft" groups. More specifically, he asked for groups for the following airplanes (and I quote):

Fokker Eindecker
    Albatros D.III / D.V
    Fokker D.VII
    Royal Aircraft Factory S.E.5
    Nieuport 17
    SPAD S.VII

As I've been playing Wings of Honour: Battles of the Red Baron recently, I've added all those planes and some other more. The only problem is the Fokker Eindecker: there are several models under that label; from those I only added the Fokker E.III. Here's a list of the added groups:

Aircraft: Halberstadt D.II
    Aircraft: Albatros D.II
    Aircraft: SPAD S.VII
    Aircraft: Sopwith Snipe
    Aircraft: Zeppelin
    Aircraft: Airco DH.2
    Aircraft: Fokker E.III
    Aircraft: Albatros D.V
    Aircraft: Pfalz D.III
    Aircraft: Nieuport 28
    Aircraft: Nieuport 11
    Aircraft: Siemens-Schuckert D.III
    Aircraft: RAF S.E.5
    Aircraft: Nieuport 17
    Aircraft: Fokker D.VII
    Aircraft: Sopwith Pup
    Aircraft: Albatros D.III

Please, feel free to populate those new groups with more games (I just added those I found with a quick Google+Moby search).

Rola (8483) on 6/6/2012 12:58 AM · Permalink · Report

You're my hero! swoon

Fred VT (25953) on 6/6/2012 4:59 PM · Permalink · Report

Hi, I wanted to suggest the creation of new Game Groups: Ivalice Alliance and Fabula Nova Crystallis

There is already a FFT and FFXII game group, but they also are both part of the valice Alliance. This is also true for FFXIII (actually there is not FFXIII group yet) that is part of Fabula Nova Crystallis, which will also include Final Fantasy versus XIII and Final Fantasy type-0.

Stefan Lindberg (19) on 6/7/2012 4:35 AM · Permalink · Report

Since 3D-engine has it's own group why not for sound system also. For example "Miles Design" and "HMI" (Human Machine Interfaces). Miles Design could be split in AIL2 and AIL3 to be more exact.

Stefan Lindberg (19) on 6/22/2012 8:31 PM · Permalink · Report

ok i now noticed there is an "sound engine" entry for GAX: http://www.mobygames.com/game-group/sound-engine-gax

Here are some examples for those i suggested (Miles and HMI):

"Miles Design": The Elder Scrolls: Arena (AIL2), Settlers and Settlers 2 (AIL2), Delta V (AIL2), The lost Vikings (AIL2), Mission Critical (AIL3), Ultima 8 (AIL3) Hi-Octane (AIL3), Sim City 2000 (AIL3).

HMI: The Elder Scrolls: Daggerfall, Retribution, Anvil of Dawn, Chronomaster.

Rola (8483) on 6/22/2012 8:45 PM · Permalink · Report

If anyone is interested, I could add several more games to these groups.

By the way, would the first group also include "Miles Sound System" used in Windows? Medal of Honor, Pharaoh, Empire Earth...

Stefan Lindberg (19) on 6/23/2012 11:42 PM · Permalink · Report

I guess "Miles Sound System" would be a more correct name and not "Miles Design" :-) Maybe not necessary to sort them by AIL2 and AIL3 either? I don't even know how to identify later version anyway.

Stefan Lindberg (19) on 6/24/2012 12:07 PM · Permalink · Report

Also here "Miles Sound System" webpage.. it lists all games using MSS: http://www.radgametools.com/miles.htm

Can somebody add this game group? Quite a lot games uses MSS.

Klaster_1 (57612) on 6/15/2012 5:24 AM · Permalink · Report

Pole Chudes (КапОтал-шПу «ППле чуЎес») variants.

Two fan made games:

1. Pole Chudes: Capital Show
    2. Pole

And not yet submitted official one.

jean-louis (77149) on 6/23/2012 6:09 PM · Permalink · Report

Hello
    I suggest creating a game group for all pinball games designed with EA's Pinball Construction Set, such as Russco's "Black Box" and "Star Chamber" (games already on file).
    Thanks

Unicorn Lynx (181775) on 7/14/2012 3:22 AM · Permalink · Report

A new group has been just approved: Gameplay feature: Freely destructible terrain. There must be more games that answer that criterium, so feel free to submit more to it.

Pseudo_Intellectual (66362) on 7/14/2012 3:25 AM · Permalink · Report

eg... Scorched Earth?

Starbuck the Third (22606) on 7/14/2012 3:25 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

Is this what you mean, unicorn?: http://www.mobygames.com/game-group/gameplay-feature-freely-destructible-terrain

Lain Crowley (6629) on 7/15/2012 1:11 AM · Permalink · Report

Otogi 1 & 2 and at least the first two Red Factions. Dunno if you could damage the environment in Guerrilla and Armageddon or if it was just buildings.

Rola (8483) on 7/25/2012 3:31 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

I second vedder's request for iMUSE group.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LucasArts#iMUSE
    http://imuse.mixnmojo.com/what.shtml
    ^^ it even has a fansite, check it out!

Here's a proposed description:

Sound Engine: iMUSE
    iMUSE (Interactive MUsic Streaming Engine) is an interactive music system (responsible for smooth transitions between themes, triggered by player's actions) developed by Michael Land and Peter McConnell for LucasArts. Initially a MIDI sequencer, its later incarnations used digital audio formats.

While it's easy to name the titles from its MIDI days, I have problem deciding if the latter ones are still the same engine. Yet the credits claim so.

MrMamen (11746) on 7/27/2012 8:26 AM · Permalink · Report

A few somewhat related groups proposals. They share the same problem that the feature may be supported on some of the platforms but not all.

Games with dropbox support The re-releases of Broken Sword 1 and 2 has dropbox support for save game syncing / backup.

Synced game progress A more generic group for syncing of game progress, this may be done with dropbox, icloud, steam cloud, etc.

Additional problem: Many platforms have their own syncing system but is not compatible with each other.

Synced game progress across platforms Games that can be played both on one device and continued on another. Usually requires a registered account on the game.

Additional problem: Many persistent world games features this. It may be several independent sync systems. (Steam cloud for mac/windows, icould for ipad/iphone). Perhaps exclude games such games?

Gameplay feature: Importable save game from different game (Better name required) A extended version of "Gameplay feature: Importable characters". Example Sim City 2000 could import cities from the original Sim City.

Patrick Bregger (301035) on 8/5/2012 5:28 PM · Permalink · Report

All games officially supporting Nvidia's 3D Vision technology.

Wikipedia game list (sourced
    Memento Mori 2

leilei (343) on 8/6/2012 1:56 AM · Permalink · Report

I'd say that's more of a Middleware than it is an engine.

Cavalary (11445) on 8/6/2012 8:54 AM · Permalink · Report

Have a simple request, since randomly stumbling into something else reminded me to do a search:

Group name: Babylon 5 universe

Description: Games set in J. Michael Straczynski's Babylon 5 universe.

Games:
    - Babylon 5: Shadow Wars
    - Babylon 5: I've Found Her - Danger and Opportunity
    - The Babylon Project

Patrick Bregger (301035) on 8/18/2012 8:58 AM · edited · Permalink · Report

This game group collect all games in which players have to answer trivia questions. In most cases the questions cover various topics, but there are also games which center on specific subjects.

Limitations

While trivia games with mini games are fine e.g. Double Dare, games with trivia questions as mini game are not. The questions need to be the main gameplay element.

Examples: You Don't Know Jack series
    Various TV show and and board game licensees
    A lot of games with "trivia" or "quiz" in the title, but surely not of all them
    Football Strip

leilei (343) on 8/30/2012 11:32 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

Grappling Hooks

Games that utilize a grappling hook or a hook-like device as a means of advancement and/or as a major gameplay element.

Examples: Bionic Commando, Turrican 3, Spiderman

GTramp (81963) on 8/31/2012 12:07 AM · Permalink · Report

Spidey ain't got no hooks.

Also, is there a list of all game groups on site?

Alaka (106134) on 8/31/2012 1:36 AM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start GTramp wrote--] Also, is there a list of all game groups on site? [/Q --end GTramp wrote--]

http://www.mobygames.com/browse/game-groups

Parf (7873) on 8/31/2012 5:47 AM · Permalink · Report

Most Zelda games would fit there as well then.

lilalurl (733) on 8/31/2012 6:25 AM · Permalink · Report

Turrey ain't got no hooks either. It is a plasma rope.

Super Turrican 2 also features a hook-like device (I think it is one hook this time actually).

I remember one Batman game (probably more) with heavy use of the bat rope. 8 or 16 bit platform.

vedder (70856) on 8/31/2012 7:29 AM · Permalink · Report

Arkham City and Asylum as well.

There were quite a few shooters that had grappling hook mods in the late 90s, but that probably doesn't count :)

GTramp (81963) on 8/31/2012 8:14 AM · Permalink · Report

This and this for sure. And there are more of course.

chirinea (47495) on 8/31/2012 2:37 PM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start lilalurl wrote--]I remember one Batman game (probably more) with heavy use of the bat rope. 8 or 16 bit platform. [/Q --end lilalurl wrote--]Batman: The Video Game for the Mega Drive and Batman Returns for the Sega Master System are two of them.

Rola (8483) on 8/31/2012 3:23 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

Certain games give very few places where such equipment can be used (plot-specific), do they qualify? Or those game where hooks are used only occasionally? What about Indiana Jones' whip that acts effectively as grappling hook?

I'd say let's wait till we get tags for such minor groupings. I'm still waiting for important groups to go online, such as "recordable/editable replays" or "sound engine: iMUSE" (see above).

lilalurl (733) on 9/1/2012 10:20 AM · Permalink · Report

Games from the Umihara Kawase series:

http://www.mobygames.com/game-group/umihara-kawase-series

leilei (343) on 9/1/2012 5:53 PM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start lilalurl wrote--]Turrey ain't got no hooks either. It is a plasma rope.

[/Q --end lilalurl wrote--] [Q --start GTramp wrote--]Spidey ain't got no hooks.

[/Q --end GTramp wrote--] Semantics!

lilalurl (733) on 9/3/2012 4:47 PM · Permalink · Report

Gum Gum grab in Shonen Jump's One Piece for GBA (which does not seem to be documented on MG yet):

http://www.gamefaqs.com/gba/928455-shonen-jumps-one-piece/faqs/54897

Only played two levels so I don't know how mandatory it gets later, but there are some passages in which I have seen it as the only way to advance.

Some other One Piece games might feature something similar

Klaster_1 (57612) on 9/3/2012 5:34 PM · Permalink · Report

Should we consider hands suitable for the group? This way Prince of Persia, Uncharted and hundreds of other games pass the group criteria.

lilalurl (733) on 9/3/2012 5:45 PM · Permalink · Report

Good question. In this case, it is not an ordinary hand/arm length (super powered by a devil fruit) so I naturally thought it would fit here.

It is a bit like saying that Dhalsim has distant attacks when he stretches his arms/legs, given that technically they are body contact attacks

However, I can see the argument that it might be too natural to fit the group.

Klaster_1 (57612) on 8/31/2012 3:52 PM · Permalink · Report

Gravity Hook is basically hook jumping :) Also, the famous rope from the Worms series.

Ace of Sevens (4479) on 9/4/2012 11:34 AM · Permalink · Report

I'd like to see a group for religious games. I was leaning toward splitting by religion, but I don't think this is practical. For instance, Super Noah's Ark 3D could be a Christian or Jewish game.

Pseudo_Intellectual (66362) on 9/4/2012 4:16 PM · Permalink · Report

While it could be (and a game about Abraham could go three ways!) I think practically these cases all tend to settle the same way -- because the Jewish faith does not actively evangelize.

Rola (8483) on 9/4/2012 8:12 PM · Permalink · Report

Don't we already have Genre: Educational -> Religion?

vedder (70856) on 9/4/2012 9:11 PM · Permalink · Report

But not all religious games are educational!

Parf (7873) on 9/4/2012 9:23 PM · Permalink · Report

So... You're trying to tell me there's no educational value in such games as God of War, Bible Fight and Spiritual Warfare? ;)

Rola (8483) on 9/4/2012 11:11 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

Can't call Bible fight "religious" either. More like "Inspiration: religion", this could fit "anti-religion" titles as well. What about existing Norse and Greek mythologies groups? Mythos was a part of their religion, right?

Parf (7873) on 9/5/2012 6:14 AM · Permalink · Report

I was being ironic, obviously. ;)

Rola (8483) on 9/5/2012 6:54 AM · edited · Permalink · Report

...but someone eventually would try to submit them to that "religious" group, so your counterexample was very useful.

MrMamen (11746) on 9/8/2012 7:20 PM · Permalink · Report

Supaplex games. Currently 4 on file.

GTramp (81963) on 9/10/2012 2:15 AM · Permalink · Report

Interactive Girls Club games? Vida X, Teresa, that kind of stuff.

Giu's Brain (503) on 9/16/2012 10:00 PM · Permalink · Report

I understand this is the place to make a group request; the request is for a group called "Covermount: Level", for games featured as covermounts for Level, a Romanian magazine.

I'm not sure about the exact number of games that would be part of this group right now, but it might well be over 100. I've decided to work through my Level collection, which stops in 2007, and I'll try to add the rest of the games released by them from the magazine's website and add them to the group.

Cavalary (11445) on 9/16/2012 11:36 PM · Permalink · Report

129 commercial titles if I counted right, may be 1-2 more... Plus the freeware, if you add those as well.

I'd go with "Covermount: Level (Romania)" though, because, well, this. Plus a Swedish Level in the ranking sources list and an US Level showing up on a search now.

Giu's Brain (503) on 9/17/2012 12:26 AM · Permalink · Report

Yeah, that sounds about right; they started including games regularly in 2001. I know of one more game before that, in 2000, which I think was freeware.

chirinea (47495) on 9/17/2012 1:02 AM · Permalink · Report

Provide me three games released there and I'll create the group. You can then add the rest.

Giu's Brain (503) on 9/17/2012 1:20 AM · Permalink · Report

Gothic, Arx Fatalis and Odium (aka Gorky 17).

chirinea (47495) on 9/18/2012 8:45 PM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Giu's Brain wrote--]Gothic, Arx Fatalis and Odium (aka Gorky 17). [/Q --end Giu's Brain wrote--]OK, here's the group.

Rola (8483) on 9/18/2012 9:16 PM · Permalink · Report

I was always puzzled why do we handle covermounts using groups and not release info (new entry, magazine entered, say, under "distributor").

chirinea (47495) on 9/18/2012 10:44 PM · Permalink · Report

Only that we do!

Giu's Brain (503) on 9/18/2012 9:18 PM · Permalink · Report

Thank you!

leilei (343) on 9/18/2012 10:26 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

How about more protagonists?

Protagonist:Werewolf
    Protagonist:Jiang-shi
    Protagonist:Clown
    Protagonist:Prisoner
    Protagonist:Archaeologist
    Protagonist:Space marine
    Protagonist:Amnesiac (every JRPG ever?)

Parf (7873) on 9/19/2012 6:50 AM · Permalink · Report

We actually already have Theme: Amnesia as a group. :)

Rola (8483) on 9/19/2012 7:11 AM · Permalink · Report

What if I'm a space soldier? (Spaceship Troopers) I don't qualify? (meh, marines are so US-centric!)

We already have Theme: Werewolves.

No offense, but I vote against your suggestions.

Cantillon (77271) on 9/19/2012 10:49 AM · Permalink · Report

Theme: Werewolves and Protagonist: Werewolve is not entirely the same of course.

Rola (8483) on 9/19/2012 11:03 AM · Permalink · Report

You're right, I see the analogy with our vampire groups. Still a bit confusing to me: games with vampires, games in which you are a vampire, but Daggerfall can't go in because becoming a vampire is accidential/optional there...

OK, so I vote for werewolf protagonist group.

Giu's Brain (503) on 9/19/2012 11:32 AM · Permalink · Report

Since we're talking Werevolves, why are groups that no longer exist showing up as related groups to "Theme: Werewolves"?

vedder (70856) on 9/19/2012 12:19 PM · Permalink · Report

They've been renamed, but the links aren't automatically updated.

Patrick Bregger (301035) on 9/19/2012 12:20 PM · Permalink · Report

That's why you use MobyTags instead of direct links.

Rola (8483) on 9/19/2012 1:05 PM · Permalink · Report

...but MobyTags aren't precise.

Cavalary (11445) on 9/19/2012 2:56 PM · Permalink · Report

That's actually quite annoying. Tags are only precise for games, and that only until another game with the same tag is added. Groups? Companies? Cases of more than one game with the same tag? Get thrown to search...

Should be able to put actual tag in the mobytag to have it go right where you want it to.

Rola (8483) on 9/19/2012 4:22 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

The games have numbers in the database. Except when they overlap with the rare numerical titles, they can be accessed this way:

http://www.mobygames.com/game/100

Maybe we could use these numbers as absolute links? Only in the rare cases of game merge/split would it create problems.

chirinea (47495) on 9/19/2012 7:09 PM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Cavalary wrote--]That's actually quite annoying. Tags are only precise for games, and that only until another game with the same tag is added. [..] Cases of more than one game with the same tag? Get thrown to search... [/Q --end Cavalary wrote--]If they were sold in different platforms, you can specify the platform using the MobyTag so you don't get thrown to search.

Patrick Bregger (301035) on 9/19/2012 7:32 PM · Permalink · Report

You can also link to product codes.

Cavalary (11445) on 9/19/2012 7:46 PM · Permalink · Report

Don't think any of that works for groups or companies. As for games, what about stuff like this? Both on Windows (2nd not exclusive, but anyway), no part numbers that I can see... And no idea where to get the gameid from.

GTramp (81963) on 10/11/2012 9:28 AM · Permalink · Report

Group: XS Junior League Series (...Games?)

Description: A series of sports games released under XS Junior League brand.

Games (3 titles): http://www.mobygames.com/search/quick?q=+XS+Junior+League&x=7&y=14

Rola (8483) on 10/28/2012 8:27 PM · Permalink · Report

I think this is more interesting than covermounts: C64 Direct-to-TV

I'd say this would be best handled by creating a group, in its description noting the differences between PAL/NTSC releases. Your thoughts?