Description official descriptions
After World War II, rapid technology development carried humans towards a supposedly bright future, fulfilling their eternal dream. But eventually war raged again and in the year 2077, the dream suddenly came to a halt and mushroom clouds dominated the sky. A few communities survived in their underground bunkers called "Vaults"; others mutated heavily. Overall, what was left of the world was nothing more than a nuclear wasteland filled with ruins of a once great civilization. Two hundred years later, the human kind slowly but surely leaves the vaults and reclaims the lands of Earth.
The protagonist is one of them. As a member of Vault 101 in the wasteland surrounding the city formerly known as Washington D.C. and now called "Capital Wasteland", raised under the tight rule of the Overseer and the watchful eye of his father, he doesn't know anything about what is outside. But on his nineteenth birthday, his father unexpectedly leaves the vault. The hero's goal is to find him, learning part of the truth about what the Overseer concealed all these years on the way.
Fallout 3 is a role-playing game with elements of a 3D shooter. It retains many elements of the previous games in the series, while somewhat shifting the emphasis from social interaction and ethical role-playing to exploration of an open, continuous 3D world and combat. The player is free to explore the game's world from the beginning, visiting many optional locations, talking to characters and completing side quests. The main quest line, however, is largely linear, posing moral choices to the player only during its final phase.
Character creation and customization are similar to those of the previous games. The player shapes the main character by allocating points into the S.P.E.C.I.A.L. (Strength, Perception, Endurance, Charisma, Intelligence, Agility, and Luck) attributes. The skill system has been mostly carried over from the preceding installments, including weapon specializations (small and big guns, energy weapons, etc.), and active skills such as Science, Repair, Lockpick, and others. Passive skills, particularly Speech, play a lesser role than in earlier Fallout games. A few skills have been removed completely. Skill points and perks are acquired when the protagonist levels up.
Combat system has undergone a major overhaul. Tactical turn-based battles from the previous games have been replaced with two different combat modes; the player is able to switch between them at any time. The simpler system of these two is action-oriented, nearly indistinguishable from traditional 3D shooter combat. The player character equips a weapon (ranging from a baseball bat to the destructive mini-nuke-launcher) and attacks enemies with it; damage calculation is based on the participants' statistics more than on the player's dexterity, though the latter plays a role as well. In addition, the player can opt to switch to Vault-Tec Assisted Targeting System (V.A.T.S.) combat mode, a real-time system that allows the player to pause the game at any time and target specific regions of one or more enemies until the available action points are used. After all the actions have been assigned, the game plays them out in a slow motion.
The Karma system from the previous installments is back, keeping track of the main character's actions and decisions made by the player throughout the course of the game. Ethically unacceptable actions reduce the player character's Karma points.
- 異塵餘生3 - Traditional Chinese spelling
- 辐射3 - Simplified Chinese spelling
- BPjS / BPjM indexed games
- Fallout 3 series
- Fallout games
- Gameplay feature: Armour / weapon deterioration
- Gameplay feature: Auto-mapping
- Gameplay feature: Burden / Encumbrance
- Gameplay feature: Cannibalism
- Gameplay feature: Character development - Skill distribution
- Gameplay feature: Controllable pet companions
- Gameplay feature: Day / Night cycle
- Gameplay feature: Drug addiction
- Gameplay feature: Equipment quick slots
- Gameplay feature: House ownership
- Gameplay feature: Interior decorating
- Gameplay feature: Karma meter
- Gameplay feature: Lock picking
- Gameplay feature: Multiple endings
- Gameplay feature: Pickpocketing
- Gameplay feature: Radiation / radioactive poisoning
- Gameplay feature: Slavery
- Gameplay feature: Targeting system
- Games for Windows Live releases
- Middleware: FaceFX
- Middleware: Gamebryo/Lightspeed/NetImmerse
- Middleware: SpeedTree
- Physics Engine: Havok
- PlayStation 3 Platinum Range releases
- Premium Games label
- Setting: City - Washington, D.C.
- Setting: Museum
- Technology: amBX
- Technology: FaceGen
- Wasteland universe
- Xbox 360 Classics releases
See any errors or missing info for this game?
You can submit a correction, contribute trivia, add to a game group, add a related site or alternate title.
Credits (Windows version)
473 People (446 developers, 27 thanks) · View all
|Lead Level Designer|
|[ full credits ]|
|(no subject)||bubbleman1987||2012-09-05 10:32:14|
|Minor complaint time! *spoilers*||Simoneer (36)||2011-02-19 14:01:45|
|Melee character?||BurningStickMan (18019)||2011-01-08 19:59:50|
|Teh Ultimate Fallout 3 Mod Guides!||Slug Camargo (589)||2010-05-13 19:31:09|
1001 Video Games
Fallout 3 appears in the book 1001 Video Games You Must Play Before You Die by General Editor Tony Mott.
Fallout 3 was originally banned in Australia in July 2008, but an edited version was re-submitted to the country's Classification Board. Funnily enough, this is also the version that was released in all regions.
In the German version all blood and removed limbs were removed. This includes robot parts, e.g. the arms of Mister Gutsy.
References to the game
Fallout 3 was parodied in an episode of "Die Redaktion" (The Editorial Team), a monthly comedy video produced by the German gaming magazine GameStar. It was published on the DVD of issue 02/2009.
- 2009 - "Digital Delivarence" Award for Best DLC in 2009 (Editor's Choice)
- 2009 - "Digital Delivarence" Award for Best DLC in 2009 (Reader's Choice)
- February 2009 (issue 245) - PC Game of the Year 2008
- GamePro (Germany)
- February 26, 2009 - Best Console RPG in 2008 (Readers Voting)
- GameStar (Germany)
- February 26, 2009 - Best PC Game in 2008 (Reader's Voting)
- February 26, 2009 - Best PC RPG in 2008 (Reader's Voting)
- 2009 - Best Downloadable Content/Expansion in 2009 (Reader's Choice; for the DLCs)
- 2008 – Game of the Year
- 2008 – PC Game of the Year
- 2008 – Xbox 360 Game of the Year
- 2008 – PC Game of the Year (Readers' Vote)
- 2008 – Xbox 360 Game of the Year (Readers' Vote)
- 2008 – #2 PS3 Game of the Year
- 2008 – PC RPG of the Year
- 2008 – Xbox 360 RPG of the Year
- 2008 – PS3 RPG of the Year
- 2012 – #10 Top PC Gaming Intro
- December 25, 2009 - Best Expansion/DLC in 2009 (for the DLCs)
- Golden Joystick Awards
- 2009 - Ultimate Game of the Year
- 2009 - PC Game of the Year
- 2009 - Best Xbox 360 Aftermarket Support in 2009 (Reader's Awards; for the DLCs)
- Machinima 2009 - Best DLC in 2009 (for the DLCs)
Information was also provided by Big John WV, PCGamer77 and piltdown man
Related Sites +
Locations of all Bobbleheads in Fallout 3, which increase the player's stats permanently.
Fallout 3 Hints from UHS
Game guide using a question and answer format. Includes all of the quests, a world map, plus gameplay tips and strategies.
Fallout: Welcome to the Official Site
Bethesda's official site for "Fallout 3."
Mac Gamer Review
A review of <em>Fallout 3</em> by The Mac Gamer's Alex McLarty, who makes use of Apple's Boot Camp utility in order to play the PC version on his Macintosh (Nov 16th, 2008).
No Mutants Allowed
An unofficial site about the Fallout series.
Wiki based encyclopedia about the Fallout series.
Wikipedia: Fallout 3
Article in the open encyclopedia.
X360A achievement guide
X360A's achievement guide for Fallout 3.
- MobyGames ID: 37167
- Steam App: 22300
Know about this game? Add your expertise to help preserve this entry in video game history!
Contributors to this Entry
Game added by Sicarius.
Xbox One added by MAT.
Additional contributors: Katakis | カタキス, Jeanne, Apogee IV, Carl Ratcliff, Solid Flamingo, Zeppin, Paulus18950, Lizzy Carft, Patrick Bregger, Starbuck the Third, Plok, FatherJack.
Game added October 31st, 2008. Last modified May 7th, 2023.