Game Groups > Games with game altering copy protection
Games that use forms of copy protection where if the game detects that it is a pirated copy, some aspect of the game is changed. This is done to discourage piracy in such a way that is not initially detectable by the pirater. In some cases the game may still be completable by the player, but in others completing the game will be impossible. This can be done in multiple ways:
- Include messages asking the player to buy the full version, without otherwise hindering game (usually done by developers who aren't particularly bothered if there game is pirated). An example of this is the PC version of Alan Wake, which replaces the loading screen tips with messages telling the player to buy the game, and also gives the player character an eyepatch.
- Disabling certain abilities that the player would usually have access to. Examples of this include: Batman: Arkham Asylum, which disables Batman's glide ability; and Pokémon Black & White and their sequels, which disable experience gain.
- Significantly increasing the game's difficulty.
- Make it impossible for the player to reach the game's normal intended conclusion. An example of this is Earthbound, which will cause enemies to appear more often, and if the player manages to get all the way to the game's final boss the game will freeze and wipe the player's save data.
- This game group is specifically for games that contain this type of copy protection built into the version of the game that is officially sold. Games where the developer themselves uploaded modified pirate copies to popular game piracy websites (such as Game Dev Tycoon & No Time to Explain) should not be included.
Related game groups
- Gameplay feature: Creature breeding / fusion
- Gameplay feature: Gambling
- Gameplay feature: Importable characters
- Gameplay feature: Interior decorating
- Gameplay feature: Recordable replays
- Games released as complementary versions
- Games with code-wheel copy protection
- Games with extra content copy protection
- Games with Lenslok protection
- Games with manual lookup copy protection
[ view in game browser ] [ add game ]
[ Page 1 of 2 ] [ Next ]