🕹️ New release: Lunar Lander Beyond

Forums > MobyGames > Game Group Request Thread 3

Indra was here (20755) on 9/24/2009 2:11 AM · Permalink · Report

Last thread was getting crowded. Post new ideas or past ideas not yet given attention here. Currently am in permanent A.W.O.L., hope other approvers can help out in the mean time.

As always, identify:

• Game group title [in subject title]
  • Tentative/proposed description
  • Limitations (if any) - games that do not belong in the game group
  • Possible problems that may arise that need to be settled with the game group description.
  • Also note to see the game group from the approver's eyes, as the person trying to figure out whether or not a game belongs in a particular group or not.

Indra was here (20755) on 9/24/2009 9:18 PM · Permalink · Report

Is Beetle's race-track game group thingy up and running yet? If not, send it in and I'll make proper adjustments to the description to fit MG standards and beetle's original intentions.

beetle120 (2415) on 9/24/2009 11:10 PM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Indra Depari of 'da Clan Depari wrote--]Is Beetle's race-track game group thingy up and running yet? If not, send it in and I'll make proper adjustments to the description to fit MG standards and beetle's original intentions. [/Q --end Indra Depari of 'da Clan Depari wrote--] Thank you, finally a group I suggested is going though :).

Indra was here (20755) on 9/26/2009 10:04 AM · Permalink · Report

Er, still need da tentative title und description.

beetle120 (2415) on 9/26/2009 12:07 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

Racing Track: --- (e.g Racing Track: Nürburgring) Game that you can race on a simulation of the racetrack in/called ???

Limitations
    • The track must be playable! If the Track only appears in a game but you can't race on it, the game should not be included in this game group.
    • Only real tracks! No fictional tracks or lookalikes with similar sounding names accepted.

Related links Info about the ??? at Wikipedia

This is my description from the GGRT2 and no seemed against it. However I have no idea of how to implement it as it needs a different group for each track. I could give a list of tracks that cover all the major games to get the groups started if you like.

Note: before you make the game group for 'Racing Track: Nürburgring' I vote that it is split up into Nürburgring - Nordschleife and Nürburgring - GP-Strecke.

Yearman (29592) on 9/26/2009 3:32 PM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start beetle120 wrote--]I vote that it is split up into Nürburgring - Nordschleife and Nürburgring - GP-Strecke. [/Q --end beetle120 wrote--]

That makes sense because the majority of F1 racing games include only the GP track.

Indra was here (20755) on 9/27/2009 9:06 AM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Yearman wrote--] [Q2 --start beetle120 wrote--]I vote that it is split up into Nürburgring - Nordschleife and Nürburgring - GP-Strecke. [/Q2 --end beetle120 wrote--] That makes sense because the majority of F1 racing games include only the GP track. [/Q --end Yearman wrote--] But does not make sense to me as person who knows squat about racing tracks. Er.

beetle120 (2415) on 9/27/2009 11:11 PM · Permalink · Report

So what's the processes of submitting these game groups, do I submit one and wait for it to get approved before submitting the rest or another way.

beetle120 (2415) on 9/30/2009 11:06 PM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start beetle120 wrote--]So what's the processes of submitting these game groups, do I submit one and wait for it to get approved before submitting the rest or another way. [/Q --end beetle120 wrote--] Anyone know? If not I'll do it this way.

Indra was here (20755) on 10/1/2009 9:20 PM · Permalink · Report

Go ahead.

Patrick Bregger (301035) on 9/30/2009 6:36 AM · edited · Permalink · Report

Licensed games based on the board game Carcassonne.

Included games:

• Carcassonne
    • Carcassonne: Jäger & Sammler
    • Carcassonne: Collector's Box
    • Carcassonne: König & Raubritter
    • Carcassonne: Die Erweiterungen
    • Carcassonne: Ritter, Räuber, Ränkeschmiede

Zeppin (8408) on 9/30/2009 3:21 PM · Permalink · Report

Submitted, pending approval.

Mobygamesisreanimated (11069) on 10/1/2009 8:48 AM · edited · Permalink · Report

I haven't been following these threads at all, so I hope this hasn't already been suggested:

• Group title: Hey that's mine! (or something less shitty)

• Description:Games that let players attack enemies with their own severed body parts (usually limbs).

• Limitations: none (the criteria are pretty narrow already).

• Games included:

• Shadow of Rome

BioForge

Caelestis (4975) on 10/2/2009 12:10 AM · edited · Permalink · Report

I was looking for this game group, but I guess it wasn't added yet.

Title: PlayStation 3 greatest hits releases

Description: Games available for the Playstation 3 which have been re-released in "Greatest Hits" packages. These are usually represented by a red label along the top of the package with the words "Greatest Hits".

Limitations: The criteria for being a Greatest Hits title is that the game must have been on the market for a minimum of 10 months, and have sold over 500,000 copies.

Example Games:

• Assassin's Creed
  • Gran Turismo 5 Prologue
  • Uncharted: Drake's Fortune

Caelestis (4975) on 12/10/2009 10:40 PM · Permalink · Report

Any update on this? The PS1, PS2, and PSP already have a group for greatest hits and with 20+ PS3 games under this label it seems a good enough time to create it.

Zeppin (8408) on 12/10/2009 10:48 PM · Permalink · Report

Added, pending approval.

Zeppin (8408) on 2/1/2010 8:26 PM · Permalink · Report

Whoops. I never did update this one. If anyone is at all curious, the group was approved.

Havoc Crow (29859) on 1/22/2010 4:17 PM · Permalink · Report

Also Stubbs the Zombie".

Zeppin (8408) on 10/3/2009 3:19 PM · Permalink · Report

We now have a Carcassonne licensees group.

General Error (4329) on 10/2/2009 7:22 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

I've been suggesting lawn mowing games for a while now, to no reaction. So, how about this generalization:

TITLE:
    Games with childhood chores

DESCRIPTION:
    This group contains games in which you as the protagonist have to perform typical chores of the youth, like mowing lawns, washing dishes, tidying up rooms, carrying out newspapers, etc.

These chores need to be a significant part of the gameplay, and not just part of the introduction or similar cutscenes.

EXAMPLES:
    Hover Bovver
    Hover Bovver 2: Grand Theft Flymo
    Lawn Mower
    Kururin Paradise
    Putt-Putt Joins the Parade
    Paperboy

General Error (4329) on 10/3/2009 4:39 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

And while I'm at it: A game group that would make it possible to identify games that originated on mainframes -- IMHO, pretty important for a historical game database, as pretty much all non-arcade genres (strategy, simulation, adventure, rpg) started on mainframes. I think this would greatly enhance MG's status as historical game database, as you'd be able to find where many of today's genres really originated.

Title: Mainframe games

Description: This group contains games that originated on mainframes. Up to the late 1970s, mainframes in universities, colleges and research facilities were the only computer available. Although only accessible for a minority of researchers and students, many games were written in the 1960s and 1970s -- and often had a big impact on the budding home computer scene in the late 1970s and early 1980s. Most non-arcade genres have their origins on mainframes, were the first simulation, strategy, war or management games, adventures or role-playing games were played.

Limitations: To be included in this group, the game must have originally appeared on a mainframe computer, and the game as documented on Mobygame must not be "different game" as per the Mobygame different game spec, i.e. a conversion faithful of the original mainframe game's gameplay, storyline and view. Also those intermediate games from the late 1970s that were released as BASIC listings that ran on both mainframes and home computers should not be included here if there was not an original mainframe-only version.

Games to be included:

• Spacewar
    • Hamurabi
    • The Oregon Trail
    • Lemonade Stand
    • Rogue
    • DND
    • Colossal Cave Adventure
    • Eliza
    • Civil War
    • Conway's Game of Life
    • Civil War (IPCO release)
    • High Noon
    • many games from the Empire games
    • many games from the Star Trek variants
    • many games from the Hunt the Wumpus variants
    • many games from the Adventure versions
    • many games from the Lunar Lander variants (there was a graphical realtime version called Moonlander on the PLATO network in 1973, long before Atari's coin-op version, see Lunar Lander on Wikipedia)

To do: Should the group include games that ran on analogue computing hardware (I only know of Tennis for Two, but there may be others). I'd like to have them included here.

See also Wikipedia's Mainframe games category.

General Error (4329) on 10/3/2009 4:53 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

Very sorry for multi-posting, but I seem to have a run attempting to correct some things that are missing from MG. Here's another group for being able to document a special kind of games from the beginning of home computer games.

Proposed description: During the early home computer history, many games were published as (mostly BASIC) listings in magazines and books. The BASIC language constituted a universal language for 8-bit home computers, and listings as published in David Ahls Creative Computing magazines and books were meticulously typed in (and debugged ;-) by thousands of gamers around the world. Some of these games are simple BASIC ports of mainframe classics, others became classics of their own, and many were later re-released in successful graphical commercial versions.

This game group contains and identifies games that were, at one point or the other, released as a human-readable listing. As always, the Mobygame "different game" standard applies here to wether and which variants and version what should be included.

Limitations: This game should not include games that were just simply released in commercial versions with human-readable listings, but is reserved for games explicitly published on paper as type-in listings.

Games to be included: See the above "Mainframe games" suggestion; most of the the simpler mainframe games were released as type-in BASIC listings in the Creative Computing

To do: It's clear enough to me, if there are any unclear points, I'd love to discuss them!

Pseudo_Intellectual (66362) on 10/7/2009 5:05 PM · Permalink · Report

My understanding is that with the current refashioning of games bundled with Windows, for instance, into "Windows (games included)" entries, the new protocol for type-in games would be to document the book or magazine in which they appear as a compilation.

I don't see that necessarily effects your game group proposal, just elaborating on a related tangent 8)

chirinea (47495) on 10/7/2009 7:54 PM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Pseudo_Intellectual wrote--]My understanding is that with the current refashioning of games bundled with Windows, for instance, into "Windows (games included)" entries, the new protocol for type-in games would be to document the book or magazine in which they appear as a compilation. [/Q --end Pseudo_Intellectual wrote--] And next time we know, we're calling the site MobyReleases.

Pseudo_Intellectual (66362) on 10/7/2009 10:48 PM · Permalink · Report

Though this way of handling compilations may be to minds wrong-headed it doesn't preclude an enlightened future system that allows the component games to be handled both in and out of compilations, perhaps with the help of a search engine toggle to hide compilations. We may be going sideways with this instead of forward but information isn't actually getting lost but just changing shape; at least we're not going backwards.

Zeppin (8408) on 10/7/2009 10:59 PM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Pseudo_Intellectual wrote--]Though this way of handling compilations may be to minds wrong-headed it doesn't preclude an enlightened future system that allows the component games to be handled both in and out of compilations, perhaps with the help of a search engine toggle to hide compilations. We may be going sideways with this instead of forward but information isn't actually getting lost but just changing shape; at least we're not going backwards. [/Q --end Pseudo_Intellectual wrote--] Exactly. MobyGames changes slowly, but it does change. These are all matters of optimization and convenience which can be changed at any point later on. So long as we have the information on file, in some fashion, it should be a minor issue to change things whenever we do.

Zeppin (8408) on 10/3/2009 9:43 PM · Permalink · Report

A World War III game group has been added. Please add any games that apply. If a user would like the description can also be edited to make it more specific than it at present is.

Xoleras (66141) on 10/4/2009 1:16 PM · Permalink · Report

How about games that don't say they are World War III itself, but the story of a sequel says it was?

For example, Command & Conquer 3: Tiberium Wars states that World War V is waging at the moment, referring to Tiberian Sun as World War IV and the original C&C as being World War III.

Zeppin (8408) on 10/4/2009 3:45 PM · Permalink · Report

Yes, that's acceptable; it being a continuous series. I suppose I should edit this into the description. It should also be added that if the game itself doesn't refer to the war as WWIII but it's documentation does than this is permissible, to allow for particularly early games which didn't have in-game plots, such as Galaga.

Rola (8483) on 10/8/2009 2:55 AM · edited · Permalink · Report

Title: Games featuring classical music

Description: games which make prominent use of well known pieces of classical music

Limitations: music stylized to sound like an old piece (eg: baroque music composed for Imperialism II: The Age of Exploration) is not enough. Also "contemporary classics" should be excluded - only old stuff.

Problems: but does one tune suffice? What's old and what's too modern? The term "Classical music" itself can sometimes be very vague...

Games:
    Wargasm (...Ode to Joy)
    Castles 2 (...Carmina Burana)
    Return Fire (...The Flight of the Bumblebee, Ride of the Valkyries - for the chopper of course :D )
    ... I'm sure there'll be more - anyone wants to check, say, Versailles 1685? Europa Universalis 1 & 2?

Ace of Sevens (4479) on 10/8/2009 7:31 AM · Permalink · Report

Carmina Burana was written in the 1930s, after the debut of Mickey Mouse and Bugs Bunny. It's still under copyright. I'm pretty sure it falls under your disqualification of newer pieces written in an old style.

Unicorn Lynx (181775) on 10/8/2009 8:04 AM · Permalink · Report

Why should contemporary classics be excluded? Where would you draw the line? As Ace said, Carmina Burana was written in the thirties, but it's definitely not contemporary... There are widely known classical pieces that were composed just a few decades ago... I'd say we shouldn't draw this line and include all classical music, regardless of the age.

Except the stylized stuff, of course.

Pseudo_Intellectual (66362) on 10/8/2009 3:13 PM · Permalink · Report

And I say... we should track this by looking up the composer 8)

(also, when you find classical music in games, I invite you to follow my lead and add undocumented music credits for classical composers when they aren't listed 8)

St. Martyne (3648) on 10/8/2009 3:18 PM · Permalink · Report

This neglected post of mine might be helpful in creating such a group.

As I also said in that thread, I don't think we will ever see such a group become cluttered. So approval policy, as far the piece prominence in game or its age are concerned, should be fairly relaxed.

Zeppin (8408) on 10/8/2009 8:07 PM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Rola wrote--]Europa Universalis 1 & 2? [/Q --end Rola wrote--] I haven't played Europa Universalis 1 but the sequel, Europa Universalis 2, uses music from the time period that you happen to be in at that time, and thus has classic music for the time periods in which it was most prevalent. I couldn't, off the top of my head, give you the name of a composer, though.

Luis Silva (13443) on 10/9/2009 1:53 AM · Permalink · Report

UEFA Manager 2000 features a classic music taken from records of the Royal London Philharmonic, IIRC.

chirinea (47495) on 10/9/2009 2:12 AM · Permalink · Report

Fantasia should fit the group, I guess.

Parf (7873) on 10/9/2009 4:25 AM · Permalink · Report

Eternal Sonata is an RPG that uses Chopin's last living moments as the basis for the story and music solely by said composer. That one would fit nicely I'd say.

Unicorn Lynx (181775) on 10/9/2009 1:03 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

Loom has Swan Lake, by Tchaikovsky.

Last Express has a whole Viloin Sonata by Cesar Franck.

Crystal's Pony Tale has lots of classical samples.

Edit: Just read St. Martyne's old post. Do you want to add the group, St. Martyne? It was your idea, and good description, too.

Multimedia Mike (20664) on 10/9/2009 12:56 PM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Rola wrote--]Title: Games featuring classical music

Games: Wargasm (...Ode to Joy) Castles 2 (...Carmina Burana) ... I'm sure there'll be more - anyone wants to check, say, Versailles 1685? Europa Universalis 1 & 2? [/Q --end Rola wrote--] I remember Thexder. The credits in MobyGames list: Opening music by (uncredited): Ludwig van Beethoven (Piano Sonata No. 14 - Moonlight Sonata - first movement)

Multimedia Mike (20664) on 10/8/2009 3:08 AM · Permalink · Report

Title: Evolution Games

Description: Games in which the gameplay is based largely around guiding a primitive organism on an evolutionary path.

Examples: E. V. O.: Search for Eden (SNES), Seventh Cross Evolution (Dreamcast), all the various Spore titles (too bad this game group would quickly become inundated with everything from the Spore game group, overshadowing everything else).

Rola (8483) on 10/9/2009 8:08 AM · edited · Permalink · Report

...& Genewars ?

And now for something completely different:

Games with Interwar setting

Description: Games, where the action takes place between World War 1 & 2 (1918-1939, more or less, depending on "your country's vision of the world"). Fedora hats, Tommy guns, jazz, prohibition (fortunately only in US ;-) ), rapidly growing commercial aviation, radio, art deco style... and those classy cars!

Quite a lot of titles here, from Indiana Jones, through Gangster games, ending with various adventure games like Cruise for a Corpse.

Limitations: exclude games where you can set any date, like wargames with editors

Problems: as already mentioned, the starting date of WW2 is sometimes challenged by historians, not to mention politicians sticking to their version of the reality...

Zeppin (8408) on 10/9/2009 4:23 PM · Permalink · Report

I would advocate limiting it either to the start of the War as its commonly defined (The September 1st invasion of Poland) or the March 15th invasion of Czechoslovakia, which obviously isn't a part of WWII proper. Personally I prefer the March 31st guarantee of Polish independence by Great Britain and France, but that edges into a subjective position that MobyGames should avoid.

The Spanish Civil War needs its own group, speaking of which...

Pseudo_Intellectual (66362) on 10/9/2009 4:56 PM · Permalink · Report

Are there many games set in the Spanish Civil War?

Zeppin (8408) on 10/9/2009 5:04 PM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Pseudo_Intellectual wrote--]Are there many games set in the Spanish Civil War? [/Q --end Pseudo_Intellectual wrote--] Well... No. There are enough to warrant a group, however. That is to say, there are at least two that I know of. Only one of which is in the database. :P

Pseudo_Intellectual (66362) on 10/9/2009 11:28 PM · Permalink · Report

Once the second of the two games you are aware of is in, we can start talking about a group.

Pseudo_Intellectual (66362) on 10/9/2009 4:55 PM · Permalink · Report

the starting date of WW2 is sometimes challenged by historians,

and the Chinese, who were putting up with the Japanese in 1931 8)

Cantillon (77080) on 10/9/2009 5:13 PM · Permalink · Report

I think Interbellum sounds cooler. :p

Rola (8483) on 10/10/2009 2:48 AM · Permalink · Report

These are exactly the problems I hinted, as the internationalized conflicts in Spain and Far East (add Soviets vs. Japanese, too) should be considered as "introduction" to WW2 - not "official WW2" in strict sense, but "to be put in the same bag". Yet this shouldn't limit the group, ie. kicking out games because we suddenly shortened the interbellum. And I didn't want wargames cluttering that group, it's meant to be about the style of the epoque. So if the storyline is totally unrelated to war (say you're a private eye in San Francisco) I'd accept even a 1943 storyline. But 1945 is the final date - the world changed too much after the war... we practically jump into 1950s

Interbellum sounds way cooler, but it's less clear to average reader. "Interbellum? like a guy between two belles, right?"

I think it would take sifting through the wargame scenarios to find a companion to "Luftwaffe Commander", Agent 5 ;-)

BTW: I know I will sound silly, but no contribution points for adding a game to a group? :(

Alaka (106107) on 10/16/2009 7:52 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

Games with Monster Infighting

Games where the player's enemies can attack other enemies

DOOM, Fallout Tactics Brotherhood of Steel

Foxhack (32100) on 10/17/2009 2:43 AM · Permalink · Report

Half-Life (Headcrab Zombies Vs Marines / Black Ops), Half-Life 2 Combine Soldiers vs Headcrab Zombies, giant bugs, Zombine, etc.)

Rola (8483) on 10/24/2009 9:34 PM · Permalink · Report

...but on the other hand we do have "WW2 games" game group, despite all the discussion about WW2 time boundaries. So let's give "Interbellum period" a chance - it really serves a purpose, as there are many people who'd like to search for games featuring that retro style.

Zeppin (8408) on 10/24/2009 11:43 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

Yes, the World War II game group covers the 1939-1945 period, regardless of the game's genre (FPS, adventure, etc.), and so this shouldn't be a concern. The end date for an Interbellum group would be pre-war 1939.

I'm concerned, however, about how we treat game groups based on time period. Should we be creating groups broadly by time period (17th Century, 18th Century, etc.) or should we narrow down specific periods based on country, geography, or general cultural trends? (The Japanese Sengoku period, the Napoleonic Wars group, and the proposed Interbellum group) This also raises the question of groups based around conflicts. The Napoleonic Era(1799-1815) was a significant period in European history for more than its conflicts, and yet our existing group limits the period by several years because the wars themselves took place between 1803 and 1815. Wouldn't the era be more important than the conflicts, as it contains them?

We also have no way of grouping an adventure game which takes place in New Guinea in 1941 as being a part of this distinctive time period unless the game in some way contains elements or acknowledgments of the ongoing war, as the group is not meant to encompass a period of time but an influential series of events which take place in a limited span of time.

Rola (8483) on 10/27/2009 1:13 AM · edited · Permalink · Report

I think we should really ponder on this. I find it important. I assume game groups are not just another bit of trivia but a way to mobygame users to find another game in the style they want. Those era/period/war-related groups are useful in this way that a wargamer who is a Napoleonic Wars buff will easily find another game dedicated to these battles, no matter the company nor title. Right now if I want to find a game with curvy limousines, tommyguns, fedoras and jazz I have to look very hard - with something like Interbellum group it would be much easier. This is to contrast with certain other game group ideas which sound as not-so-important trivia.

I was thinking about centuries, too, but I find centuries to be too broad/imprecise for our "taxonomy". Compare with "Japanese Sengoku period" which also implies geographical boundaries. That's why I'd go for more encyclopaedical divisions: some broader, other narrower, something like "Middle Ages", "Ancient Greece" (we already have "Ancient Roman Era"), "Renaissance" etc. Of course we need to work on each other individually, I'm just talking about general direction here.

And nobody said we have to be ultra-specific. We shouldn't allow abuse of groups, but some exceptions are bound to be made from time to time.

Rola (8483) on 1/25/2010 6:08 AM · Permalink · Report

OK, another shot at this one, as I really want to see this group. Not only it will allow me to add a ton of games (hey, how about a quarter of a point for adding a game to a group? :), but I'm also going to discover new ones as other people start to contribute.

Interwar setting

Description: Games, where the action takes place during the Interbellum, that's between the First World War and the Second World War (1918-1939, more or less, depending on "your country's vision of the world") or in other words: in (roaring) twenties and thirties. Fedora hats, Tommy guns, prohibition in US, the Great Depression, jazz & swing, rapidly growing commercial aviation and radio, the beginnings of television, introduction of sound (& color) in movies, Art Deco, Bauhaus... and those classy curvy cars! But on the other side: the rise of Nazism/Fascism and Communism... which soon led everything to be Gone With The Wind...

Limitations: Exclude games where you can set any date, like wargames with editors; games that are set during either the Great War or WW2. In certain cases exceptions can be made to extend the period to early 1940s: say, if you're a private eye on a murder case in US in 1942 then it's OK to include the game here, but if you're a Resistance fighter in occupied France then the game should go to WW2 group.

MZ per X (3017) on 10/16/2009 8:37 PM · Permalink · Report

Okay, there was some interest in this group back when I posted it first, so let's try this again:

Game Group Title: Games with paper doll inventory

Game Group Description: Games that use paper dolls for the character's inventory management. A paper doll is a whole-body near-naked model of the character that can be dressed with equip-able items such as clothing, weaponry and armor, or jewelry.

Examples: Might and Magic VI --- Akuma: Demon Spawn --- Rage of Mages --- Baldur's Gate II: Shadows of Amn --- The Elder Scrolls: Arena --- Revenant --- Avencast: Rise of the Mage

Counter-Examples: Might and Magic IX --- Diablo II --- Crusaders of Might and Magic

MZ per X (3017) on 12/11/2009 10:41 AM · Permalink · Report

Still nobody here who understands what a paper doll is? :o)

Rola (8483) on 12/11/2009 12:44 PM · Permalink · Report

and Daggerfall? Anvil of Dawn? Understanding is one thing, adding a new group is another.

"Still nobody here who understands the need for historical period-based groups? ;-) "

MZ per X (3017) on 12/11/2009 4:43 PM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Rola wrote--]and Daggerfall? Anvil of Dawn? Understanding is one thing, adding a new group is another. [/Q --end Rola wrote--] Yeah, my comment was just meant as an encouragement/reminder to add this group. Daggerfall and AoD would seem to qualify judging by the screenshots, but I'd have to replay the games to be sure.

Atomic Punch! (186) on 10/18/2009 4:00 AM · Permalink · Report

Title: Balls of Steel game engine (or 'Balls of Steel series' though I think 'Balls of Steel game engine' is more accurate)

Description: Pinball games created on the Balls of Steel engine.

Limitations: None really. It's a pretty straightforward group.

List of Games:

Balls of Steel

Devil's Island Pinball

KISS Pinball

Austin Powers Pinball

Dirt Track Racing: Pinball (which I don't think is in Moby's database yet)

Zeppin (8408) on 10/24/2009 11:52 PM · Permalink · Report

In adding game groups based on locations, such as countries and cities, what information would be considered significant for the description? (Population, dimensions, location, history, language(s), etc.) Also, if we have a game group for the city of London and a game group for the country of Britain would we add a game to both groups if it took place primarily (But not exclusively) in London or would it belong only in the London group?

Pseudo_Intellectual (66362) on 10/25/2009 6:58 PM · Permalink · Report

Logically, all London games would automatically be a subset of the England games (which would be a subset of the Britain games, a subset of Europe games, a subset of Games Set on the Planet Earth).

Indra was here (20755) on 11/1/2009 8:36 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

Games that include the research and development of technologies as as integral part of the game play. Technologies available for research are usually indicated by a "technology tree" or similar concept, providing the player various choices of new technologies to research, each of which will provide benefits as well as new research options when completed.

To avoid confusion, the defintion of "technology" for the purposes of this game group shall be limited to:

"An idea or concept made available to the player to be researched, resulting in certain benefitial products or benefitially effecting gameplay of the player (or negatively affecting the opposition), requiring one or more prequisites to be fulfilled before it may be implemented, such as time or resources. Once succesfully researched, it may no longer be "re-researched" or used, and may, when available, offer new additional research choices."

Initially, games with research options and technology tress are usually found in strategy games, such as Civilization or 4x games, as well as RPGs such as X-Com. A research tab or link is usually visually available in the main interface during gameplay.

Limitations

• Games that do not introduce strategy as part of its genre and gameplay should be excluded from this game group;
  • Not to be confused or interpreted similar with RPG character developement.

vedder (70822) on 11/2/2009 12:58 AM · Permalink · Report

Many RTS games as well (WarCraft series, Age of Empires, etc.) It's gonna be a pretty big group, but I like it.

Rola (8483) on 11/2/2009 3:30 PM · Permalink · Report

Yes, this group will be so big I'm wondering if making it would be practical. Just think: basically all strategy games (except for the hardcore ones, like V for Victory) feature some research. Will players be searching database using that trait?

Indra was here (20755) on 11/2/2009 6:28 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Rola wrote--]Yes, this group will be so big I'm wondering if making it would be practical. Just think: basically all strategy games (except for the hardcore ones, like V for Victory) feature some research. Will players be searching database using that trait? [/Q --end Rola wrote--] Probably not.

There is another reason why we should create these big game groups. When you open up a game rap sheet, you'll see that a game may included in several game groups...acting like a genre. In some ways, it's also a means to promote a game group into a genre.

Considering that strategy games is my primary choice of play...actually, not all strategy games have technology trees...especially classic strategy games. Except probably most RTS games.

MZ per X (3017) on 11/15/2009 8:26 PM · Permalink · Report

The Jewel Match series needs their own game group. Any takers?

Zeppin (8408) on 11/15/2009 10:11 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Erkenbrand wrote--]The Jewel Match series needs their own game group. Any takers? [/Q --end Erkenbrand wrote--] A group has been submitted and is pending review and approval. I'll update this post once it's approved (Or rejected).

EDIT: It now exists.

MZ per X (3017) on 11/16/2009 3:42 PM · Permalink · Report

Thanks so far.

MZ per X (3017) on 11/16/2009 3:58 PM · Permalink · Report

Game Group Title: Games with penis(es)

Game Group Description: Games that visualize the primary male sexual organ, whether erect or not, without censorship. Games with animal penises shall be omitted, whereas games showing fantastic creatures with obviously human-like penises (like tentacle porn) shall be included.

Reasoning: As Giantbomb is tracking such games, I thought we should be, too, just to broaden our appeal to female and/or younger gamers.

Yearman (29592) on 11/16/2009 4:18 PM · Permalink · Report

I would rather have a "Games with boobs" group.

Parf (7873) on 11/16/2009 4:28 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Yearman wrote--]I would rather have a "Games with boobs" group. [/Q --end Yearman wrote--]

You mean basically half of the games released with a female character in them? ;)

Yearman (29592) on 11/16/2009 4:35 PM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Parf wrote--] [Q2 --start Yearman wrote--]I would rather have a "Games with boobs" group. [/Q2 --end Yearman wrote--]

You mean basically half of the games released with a female character in them? ;) [/Q --end Parf wrote--]

Bare boobs only! XD

Pseudo_Intellectual (66362) on 11/16/2009 5:34 PM · Permalink · Report

Does it count when the nipples are censored? Does areola suffice for group membership?

I, uh, shouldn't be encouraging you.

Foxhack (32100) on 11/16/2009 7:47 PM · Permalink · Report

You're right, this is something Oleg should be doing, not you!

Indra was here (20755) on 11/19/2009 9:49 PM · Permalink · Report

The main reason why we shouldn't have this game group is due to the possibly high amount of game group description vandalism.

Mostly by my part. :) :)

MZ per X (3017) on 11/20/2009 8:57 PM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Erkenbrand wrote--]Game Group Title: Games with penis(es) [/Q --end Erkenbrand wrote--] Just in case someone missed it: this was meant a joke.

Pseudo_Intellectual (66362) on 11/20/2009 10:29 PM · Permalink · Report

Hey, with Bomb'X in the database, you never know for sure. And one of the games in the 101 klik-n-play special had the player controlling the programmer's actual penis, scanned in with a smiley face drawn on it. Truth is stranger than fiction.

Still, a moby google search for "penis" should probably suffice. (Was it Dreamweb that rocked the gaming press with its full frontal?)

MZ per X (3017) on 11/21/2009 12:59 PM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Pseudo_Intellectual wrote--]Hey, with Bomb'X in the database, you never know for sure. And one of the games in the 101 klik-n-play special had the player controlling the programmer's actual penis, scanned in with a smiley face drawn on it. Truth is stranger than fiction.[/Q --end Pseudo_Intellectual wrote--] Definitely. I didn't say such group wasn't possible, but the adult genre should be more than enough for people looking for this content. And I thought it's quite funny that Giantbomb has "Penis" as a "video game concept" in their database.

[Q --start Pseudo_Intellectual wrote--] Still, a moby google search for "penis" should probably suffice. (Was it Dreamweb that rocked the gaming press with its full frontal?) [/Q --end Pseudo_Intellectual wrote--] Good thing we have that link saved here for future reference. 8-)

Indra was here (20755) on 11/23/2009 8:12 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Erkenbrand wrote--] [Q2 --start Erkenbrand wrote--]Game Group Title: Games with penis(es) [/Q2 --end Erkenbrand wrote--] Just in case someone missed it: this was meant a joke. [/Q --end Erkenbrand wrote--] Just in case someone missed it, we take our penis(es) (eww) very seriously. :p

BurningStickMan (17916) on 11/17/2009 7:57 AM · Permalink · Report

Since I'm currently working on adding them, and so have them on the brain... :P

Title: GameStorm games

Description: Games featured on the GameStorm online subscription service.

Limitations: Fairly obvious.

Example Games:

• Aliens Online
  • Godzilla Online
  • Starship Troopers Online
  • Legends of Kesmai
  • Magestorm
  • Air Warrior

Cantillon (77080) on 11/17/2009 8:58 AM · Permalink · Report

This should be reflected in the release info, like here. We used to have a Steam group too.

Patrick Bregger (301035) on 11/24/2009 2:33 PM · Permalink · Report

Translations of the logic game Kakuro. It is similar to a crossword puzzle but instead of letters the player has to put numbers into the grids. The numbers have to result in a certain number when added up. Another restriction is that every digit can't be used more than once in a calculation.

Examples:

• Kakuro XXL
    • Buku Kakuro

Kabushi (261206) on 11/24/2009 2:38 PM · Permalink · Report

added

Patrick Bregger (301035) on 11/24/2009 3:15 PM · Permalink · Report

Games which are part of the isometric shooter series from Mirage Technologies (Multimedia) Ltd..

Included games:

• Bedlam
    • Bedlam 2: Absolute Bedlam

Zeppin (8408) on 11/24/2009 7:54 PM · Permalink · Report

Added, pending.

Zeppin (8408) on 2/1/2010 8:29 PM · Permalink · Report

Another that I never updated - This was also approved.

Patrick Bregger (301035) on 11/24/2009 3:45 PM · Permalink · Report

Games which are inspired from the German TV series Kalkofes Mattscheibe.

Included games:

• Das Mattscheiben-Puzzle
    • Das Mattscheiben-Quartett
    • Das Mattscheiben-Quiz
    • Mattscheiben-Shoot
    • Whac A Kalk
    • Kalkory

Patrick Bregger (301035) on 11/24/2009 3:51 PM · Permalink · Report

Includes games:

• Atlantis Underwater Tycoon
    • Deep Sea Tycoon: Diver's Paradise

Zeppin (8408) on 2/1/2010 8:33 PM · Permalink · Report

Added, pending approval.

Zeppin (8408) on 2/1/2010 8:41 PM · Permalink · Report

Approved.

Patrick Bregger (301035) on 11/24/2009 4:10 PM · Permalink · Report

Traditional quiz games which center around soccer trivia.

Excluded:

• Quiz games where soccer is a question category but the majority of the questions are about other topics.

Included:

• Games which belong to other genres but include quiz sections (as bonus or mini games) about soccer trivia, e.g. the ANSTOSS series or Fussball Manager 2002

Other examples:

• Championship Manager Quiz
    • Football Strip
    • Football Trivia
    • Fussball Quiz: Weltmeister Edition 2006
    • Die kicker Quiz-WM

vedder (70822) on 11/24/2009 7:50 PM · Permalink · Report

Perhaps we could make this sports in general? There's also some American Football trivia games in the database.

Patrick Bregger (301035) on 11/24/2009 7:59 PM · Permalink · Report

Yeah, if that's the case that would be useful, I guess.

Foxhack (32100) on 11/25/2009 12:52 AM · Permalink · Report

I have a few sports-themed quiz games that aren't on the database yet, as well.

Patrick Bregger (301035) on 11/24/2009 5:03 PM · Permalink · Report

Included games:

• Dunkle Manöver
    • Dunkle Manöver: Operation Schattenspiele

Indra was here (20755) on 1/21/2010 9:46 PM · Permalink · Report

Done.

Patrick Bregger (301035) on 11/24/2009 5:19 PM · Permalink · Report

Formula 1 managing games developed by Software 2000

Included games:

• F1 Manager
    • F1 Manager Professional

Corn Popper (69027) on 11/25/2009 5:05 AM · Permalink · Report

note, for all these games that are just two games... they don't qualify to have groups made for them

Pseudo_Intellectual (66362) on 11/25/2009 6:26 AM · Permalink · Report

So three games is the cut-off?

Kabushi (261206) on 11/25/2009 1:07 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

And yet we have 911 game groups with less than three games...

Cantillon (77080) on 11/25/2009 2:02 PM · Permalink · Report

Certainly not for series? A lot of series consist of just 2 games.

vedder (70822) on 11/25/2009 2:06 PM · Permalink · Report

I agree that for series we should allow groups of just 2.

Pseudo_Intellectual (66362) on 11/25/2009 9:44 PM · Permalink · Report

Heck, I could even see allowing one-game groups if subsequent entries to it are known to exist but just haven't been documented yet.

I understand shucking off the extra approver burden of group creation for more substantial groups (as well as approver pet projects); I suppose I don't see why users trusted to submit games can't be trusted to submit groups also. (I'm sure we have a lot more approver-contributed descriptionless game groups than user-contributed descriptionless game entries 8)

Patrick Bregger (301035) on 11/24/2009 5:37 PM · Permalink · Report

Included games:

• Hanse: Die Expedition
    • Hanse 1480: Das Vermächtnis

Indra was here (20755) on 1/21/2010 9:51 PM · Permalink · Report

Unable to verify if both belong to the same series as developers and publishers apparently are different.

There's also one game compliation that has Patrician III bundled up with Die Expedition adding to the confusion.

Patrick Bregger (301035) on 11/24/2009 5:39 PM · Permalink · Report

Included games:

• Hattrick!
    • Hattrick! Wins

Indra was here (20755) on 1/21/2010 9:47 PM · Permalink · Report

Done.

Patrick Bregger (301035) on 11/24/2009 6:10 PM · Permalink · Report

Included games:

• Oil Tycoon
    • Oil Tycoon 2

Indra was here (20755) on 1/21/2010 9:50 PM · Permalink · Report

Unable to verify if both belong to the same series as developers and publishers apparently are different.

Pseudo_Intellectual (66362) on 1/21/2010 9:51 PM · Permalink · Report

It could be Oil Tycoon games if not Oil Tycoon series. Or perhaps a wider Petroleum Exporation group? 8)

Kabushi (261206) on 1/21/2010 10:01 PM · Permalink · Report

The possibility of two Oil Tycoon series (which both are German) in 4 years is quite small

Patrick Bregger (301035) on 11/24/2009 7:29 PM · Permalink · Report

Included games:

• ranTrainer
    • ranTrainer 2

Indra was here (20755) on 1/21/2010 9:48 PM · Permalink · Report

Done.

Patrick Bregger (301035) on 11/24/2009 7:35 PM · Permalink · Report

Includes games:

• Santa Claus in Trouble
    • Santa Claus in Trouble ... again

Indra was here (20755) on 1/21/2010 9:49 PM · Permalink · Report

Done.

Patrick Bregger (301035) on 11/24/2009 7:37 PM · Permalink · Report

Included games:

• Seafight
    • Seafight II

Zeppin (8408) on 2/1/2010 8:36 PM · Permalink · Report

Zeppin (8408) on 2/1/2010 8:40 PM · Permalink · Report

Approved.

Patrick Bregger (301035) on 11/24/2009 7:57 PM · Permalink · Report

Included games:

• Wall Street Trader 98: Börsenfieber
    • Wall Street Trader 2000
    • Wall $treet Trader 2001

Alaka (106107) on 11/30/2009 11:07 PM · Permalink · Report

Title: Helping the protagonist get through obstacles games (yes, I know this needs a more precise name. :) )

Description: Games in which the protagonist is not directly controlled by the player, with the player's main job being getting the always forward moving protagonist through the levels by helping them to avoid obstacles/enemies.

Limitations: Can't think of any at the moment.

Example Games:

• Pac-Man 2: The New Adventures
  • Lucidity

Pseudo_Intellectual (66362) on 11/30/2009 11:09 PM · Permalink · Report

There was one for the Amiga where you controlled a dog neutralizing obstacles that might disturb a sleepwalking child (Sleepwalker?) Would that count?

I recall an N64-era game about a giant killer bulldozer and the player's job was to move things out of its way...

St. Martyne (3648) on 11/30/2009 11:26 PM · Permalink · Report

Do Lemmings count? What about The Experiment?

Alaka (106107) on 12/1/2009 12:16 AM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Pseudo_Intellectual wrote--]There was one for the Amiga where you controlled a dog neutralizing obstacles that might disturb a sleepwalking child (Sleepwalker?) Would that count? [/Q --end Pseudo_Intellectual wrote--]

I would say yes.

[Q --start Pseudo_Intellectual wrote--] I recall an N64-era game about a giant killer bulldozer and the player's job was to move things out of its way... [/Q --end Pseudo_Intellectual wrote--]

If the bulldozer is constantly on the move then I would say yes.

[Q --start St_Martyne wrote--]Do Lemmings count? What about The Experiment? [/Q --end St_Martyne wrote--]

Lemmings type games should count. The Experiment, I'm not so sure about. Is the protagonist constantly moving?

Another game i thought of: Yoshi Touch & Go

vedder (70822) on 12/1/2009 12:42 AM · Permalink · Report

Mario vs Donkey Kong: March of the Minis?

Alaka (106107) on 12/1/2009 12:56 AM · edited · Permalink · Report

[Q --start stvedder wrote--]Mario vs Donkey Kong: March of the Minis? [/Q --end stvedder wrote--]

I don't think this would fit because I think the mini's can be stopped and started at will. Or maybe it should fit and I need to revise the description and make it more of a helping guide uncontrolled/limited controlled characters through obstacles type of thing. What kind of group would be more useful?

lilalurl (733) on 12/1/2009 10:50 AM · edited · Permalink · Report

[Q --start ALAKA wrote--] Another game i thought of: Yoshi Touch & Go [/Q --end ALAKA wrote--]

Then you could probably also add: Kirby Canvas Curse (NDS) Most of the action is spent drawing lines to help Kirby (moving on its own) navigate through the level/avoid stuff. There is however limited direct action on Kirby, notably touching it with the stylus will make it boost its speed briefly (a sort of dashing).

On the ball/Cameltry (SNES) You don't move the ball directly, but rotate the maze it moves in.

Edit: You should also make clear in the description if games in which you build bridges etc... to allow some character or item to reach an objective, but not in real-time, would enter the category or not. Games like the Incredible Machine for instance. Since the action only takes place when you press the "play" button, you never control the protagonist directly.

I don't think this kind of game should not be in this category, but it's worth mentioning the issue.

Pseudo_Intellectual (66362) on 12/1/2009 8:14 PM · Permalink · Report

games in which you build bridges etc... to allow some character or item to reach an objective, but not in real-time, would enter the category or not. Games like the Incredible Machine for instance. Since the action only takes place when you press the "play" button, you never control the protagonist directly.

I don't think this kind of game should not be in this category, but it's worth mentioning the issue.

I would consider those "clockmaker" games (see: Newton's conception of God) and would probably give them their own group.

lilalurl (733) on 12/2/2009 12:12 AM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Pseudo_Intellectual wrote--]I would consider those "clockmaker" games (see: Newton's conception of God) and would probably give them their own group. [/Q --end Pseudo_Intellectual wrote--]

I used a double negation by mistake in my previous post ("don't think... should not", well I was a bit in a hurry) :-/, wheras I meant they should not be in the same category as games like Sleepwalker, so I quite agree with your suggestion.

Parf (7873) on 12/2/2009 9:41 AM · Permalink · Report

I suppose Lucidity as well as Earthworm Jim could go in that group. In the former you have place stairs and walkways etc to have the girl get to the goal unharmed. In Earthworm Jim there are stages where you have to protect a dog who's just happily skipping along the stage, and your task is to shoot the enemies around him and whip him in the butt to make him jump.

Pseudo_Intellectual (66362) on 12/10/2009 9:25 PM · Permalink · Report

I could just take the plunge and make the group myself, but I'd like to solicit suggestions for game membership for a kind of "light beam games" group -- where the player manipulates light sources through the use of moveable or fixed mirrors and lenses to focus them on a particular location, get them to appear in a certain colour wavelength, etc.

Randomly stumbling across Aargon put the group in mind; I know there are more than a few of these, in addition to bigger games that incorporate light-reflection puzzles (Jak & Dexter -- hm, but that's Blue Eco, not light) but don't orient the primary gameplay solely around it (and gee it would be nice if there was a kind of secondary group membership category, indicating this game has a minigame or portion concerned with this activity, but it is not the game's primary focus. Lockpicking would be a good such subject -- Safe Opening Simulator is the only title I know with it as The Whole Game, but plenty have small puzzles or reflex games to simulate occasional compromising of locked doors.)

Excluded would be games that just incorporate "the treasure is buried where the sun shines through the sacred rock at noon on the solstice" cinematic plot devices as in (spoiler) Gun or the Masquerade book or hm, I have an unsubstantiated Indiana Jones recollection... without it being a primary gameplay element. (And surely a series of regular such dramatic revelations would quickly lose their potency 8) I'm on the fence about games that play as though with laser light but style it as "energy" or electricity instead, especially if its new form moves slowly enough to see in motion -- I vaguely recall Beyond Good and Evil having some of these, and likely Harry Potter games similarly.

Sciere (930490) on 12/10/2009 9:40 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

Would this qualify? (it requires manipulation to guide the beams)

Pseudo_Intellectual (66362) on 12/10/2009 9:43 PM · Permalink · Report

Yeah, that's the kind of secondary type I figure would still qualify. I had more top-down 2D ones in mind, but I guess a group can be big enough to contain both and they'll be neatly separated by their respective eras 8)

Sciere (930490) on 12/10/2009 9:46 PM · Permalink · Report

Oh, I've got another one =)

You may want to read the description, but it shows how a data packet is fired inside a network, and then you need to set up "mirrors" (nodes) to guide it, split the signal, redirect or slow it down, in order to reach a specific target.

So are you after that type or gameplay, or light and mirrors in specific?

Pseudo_Intellectual (66362) on 12/10/2009 9:55 PM · Permalink · Report

So are you after that type or gameplay, or light and mirrors in specific?

I think the gameplay is sufficient, even if the variety does kibosh a neat and specific name for the group. I suspect a number of these games may be framed as routing electricity or information through circuits also, perhaps in the pseudohacking group.

vedder (70822) on 12/10/2009 9:59 PM · Permalink · Report

I used to play such a game on my Texas Instruments TI-83 graphical calculator. But I guess it'll be a while before that platform is added to the database ¬.¬

Pseudo_Intellectual (66362) on 12/10/2009 10:19 PM · Permalink · Report

Keep lobbying for it!

Kabushi (261206) on 12/10/2009 9:50 PM · Permalink · Report

Here's one

...and here's another

Pseudo_Intellectual (66362) on 12/10/2009 11:27 PM · Permalink · Report

Laser Light and Laserwars were the ones I was thinking of initially.

DJP Mom (11333) on 12/10/2009 10:40 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Pseudo_Intellectual wrote--]...a kind of "light beam games" group -- where the player manipulates light sources through the use of moveable or fixed mirrors and lenses to focus them on a particular location, get them to appear in a certain colour wavelength, etc. [/Q --end Pseudo_Intellectual wrote--]Lot of levels in TIM 2, just like that, using colored lasers and mirrors etc.

Foxhack (32100) on 12/11/2009 2:09 AM · Permalink · Report

Sly Cooper. One of the bosses has you hit mirrors so light shines on him.

Pseudo_Intellectual (66362) on 12/10/2009 9:52 PM · Permalink · Report

It would be neat to track games that employ features such as line-of-sight and fog of war, but these could end up being extremely large groups. Perhaps better candidates for the hypothetical tag clouds 8)

Though they do technically constitute a series, could we expand the "The Torture Game" group to be generally for games primarily concerned with sadism and the infliction of violence upon a helpless victim? (or would this warrant a group of its own?) I'm thinking of things like No More Stumpie-Wumpies, Bob Saget Killer 2000, Tikkasentappopeli. Does Chiller count? (only one level). Stair Dismount? Grim food for thought (especially considering who would get the most use of such a group -- may as well have a group for swatting or squishing bugs!), but I do like to be rigorous.

vedder (70822) on 12/11/2009 1:16 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

I've worked through the "Game Group Request Thread 1" and added everything that was still missing. I'll work through threads 2 and 3 when I find the time.

So please fill up:

Backgammon variants
    User / fan contributed content
    Haunted house games
    Rolling Ball games
    Rail Shooters
    Bible educational games
    Tactical Shooters

MZ per X (3017) on 12/11/2009 4:38 PM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start stvedder wrote--]I've worked through the "Game Group Request Thread 1" and added everything that was still missing. I'll work through threads 2 and 3 when I find the time. [/Q --end stvedder wrote--] Thanks a bunch for this courageous effort !

Atomic Punch! (186) on 12/28/2009 3:00 AM · Permalink · Report

I posted this earlier. Never saw any response. I think it would make a valid group.

Title: Balls of Steel game engine (or 'Balls of Steel series' though I think 'Balls of Steel game engine' is more accurate)

Description: Pinball games created on the Balls of Steel engine.

Limitations: None really. It's a pretty straightforward group.

List of Games:

Balls of Steel

Devil's Island Pinball

KISS Pinball

Austin Powers Pinball

Dirt Track Racing: Pinball (which I don't think is in Moby's database yet)

Havoc Crow (29859) on 1/2/2010 11:27 AM · Permalink · Report

As per this thread.

• Demo versions
    • Demo versions of video games. Note that not all demo versions belong in MobyGames, only those which feature content unavailable in the full version (e.g. Half-Life: Uplink, which consists of a level that is not in the full version of the game). Demoes which are different merely because the game was not yet completely polished do not belong in the database.
    • Limitations: Games which aren't freely available are not demos.
    • Examples: The Secret of Monkey Island (Demo Version), Half-Life: Uplink, The Path: Prologue.

Foxhack (32100) on 1/3/2010 1:05 AM · edited · Permalink · Report

The original demo version of Starcraft included some maps not present in the retail version. It could be added... but Blizzard made the campaign freely available in 2007.

Yoink.

Tracy Poff (2094) on 1/13/2010 2:34 PM · Permalink · Report

So I don't forget, there was a demo version of Majesty that consisted of a single map not present in the full version. It'll need to be added, some time.

Patrick Bregger (301035) on 1/2/2010 12:24 PM · Permalink · Report

A compilation series published by Frogster Interactive Pictures AG.

Included games: Hall of Game: 4Games - Volume 1 to Hall of Game: 4Games - Volume 12.

Zeppin (8408) on 1/3/2010 3:08 AM · Permalink · Report

Series submitted, pending review and subsequent approval.

Zeppin (8408) on 1/8/2010 2:53 AM · Permalink · Report

It's been accepted.

Macs Black (80288) on 1/2/2010 11:44 PM · Permalink · Report

Title: Jack The Ripper games

Description: Games focusing on the famous case, rather than only featuring the serial killer as a character.

Limitations: Only games about the case.

Games:

MZ per X (3017) on 1/3/2010 2:25 PM · Permalink · Report

Game Group Title: Agricultural games

Game Group Description: Games that simulate the agricultural business past and present as its core gameplay. Agricultural business shall be widely used, so games assembled around cultivating a garden, a farm, a forest, or livestock breeding are fitting this group. Games where the agricultural game play is just part of a bigger economy shall be excluded from this group.

Examples: Harvest Moon--- SimFarm--- Molehill Empire--- FarmVille (not approved yet)

Havoc Crow (29859) on 1/8/2010 8:51 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

Title: Concentration variants

Description: Games centered around the concept of the "Concentration" card game: the player is presented with several tiles/cards etc. that are flipped, and has to flip them over, one pair at a time, in hopes of revealing two matching elements.

Games: e.g. Memory, Hunt & Score, MemoTrimo.

Alaka (106107) on 1/24/2010 8:03 PM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start JudgeDeadd wrote--]Title: Concentration variants

Description: Games centered around the concept of the "Concentration" card game: the player is presented with several tiles/cards etc. that are flipped, and has to flip them over, one pair at a time, in hopes of revealing two matching elements.

Games: e.g. Memory, Hunt & Score, MemoTrimo. [/Q --end JudgeDeadd wrote--]

submitted, pending approval.

sgtcook (1318) on 1/10/2010 1:40 PM · Permalink · Report

Games released under the Konami the Best brand.

Games which Konami have released under the コナミ ザ・ベスト (Konami the Best) brand. The brand is used for re-releases of Konami games at a lower price.

Games included in this group:

• Silent Hill Zero (PSP)
    • Silent Hill 4 The Room (PS2)
    • Lost in Blue 2
    • Twinbee Portable
    • Parodius Portable
    • Castlevania: Harmony of Dissonance
    • Gradius Galaxies
    • Contra Advance: The Alien Wars EX
    • And more..
    Also i see there an American version (Konami's Best) so should this be included with this group?

Foxhack (32100) on 1/10/2010 5:31 PM · Permalink · Report

Several companies have their own budget release labels like this - would we have to do this for each one?

sgtcook (1318) on 1/10/2010 5:46 PM · Permalink · Report

Well if this one is approved, i suppose we could/should

Foxhack (32100) on 1/10/2010 5:36 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

Games which reproduce the classic Tower of Hanoi puzzle game devised by Edouard Lucas in 1883, either in one section or the entire game.

• Die Türme von Hanoi
  • Azada
  • FriendlyWare PC Introductory Set
  • Nancy Drew: Stay Tuned for Danger
  • Journey to the Center of the Earth
  • The Secret Island of Dr. Quandary
  • The Island of Dr. Brain
  • Diva Starz: Mall Mania
  • And many more. I got bored after the first page of Google results. :P

Edit: And I think I can still submit game groups, so I can go on with this if an approver wants me to, unless any changes are needed .

Pseudo_Intellectual (66362) on 1/10/2010 9:03 PM · Permalink · Report

Legend of Kyrandia 2, Zork Zero

Cantillon (77080) on 1/11/2010 11:32 AM · Permalink · Report

Black & White

PolloDiablo (16852) on 1/13/2010 6:25 AM · edited · Permalink · Report

TKKG games --- Educational adventure games that feature the 'TKKG' club of detectives. To include for instance TKKG Das Unheimliche Zimmer which is the 16th in the series. I have a couple of these games and intend to add them once I've played but that could take a while yet.

Some other (yet to be added) titles are

GERMAN Atari/Commodore 64 Das leere Grab im Moor (1984)

PC TKKG 1: Katjas Geheimnis (1997)

TKKG 2: Tödliche Schokolade (1998) (ENGLISH RELEASE AS TKKG: Deadly Chocolate) (DUTCH RELEASE AS TKKG 2: Dodelijke Chocolade)

TKKG 3: Der Schatz der Maya (1998) (ENGLISH RELEASE AS TKKG: Mystery of the Mayan Treasure) (DUTCH RELEASE AS TKKG 1: Schat Van De Mayas)

TKKG 4: Das Rätsel der Villa Drachenkralle (1998) (DUTCH RELEASE AS TKKG 5: Het raadsel van Villa Drakenklauw)

TKKG 5: Verrat an TKKG (1999) (DUTCH RELEASE AS TKKG 4: Verraad bij TKKG)

TKKG 6: Der Fälscherbande auf der Spur (2000)

TKKG 7: Wer stoppt den Feuerteufel? (2000)

TKKG 8: Das geheimnisvolle Testament (2001) (DUTCH RELEASE AS TKKG 6: Het geheimzinnige testament)

TKKG 9: Voodoozauber (2001)

TKKG 10: Panik im Internat (2002)

TKKG 11: Film ab! (2003)

TKKG 12: Alarm in der Geisterbahn (2004)

TKKG 13: Zelle 13 (2004)

TKKG 14: Gefährliche Ferien (2005)

TKKG 15: Verfolgt! (2006)

TKKG 16: Das unheimliche Zimmer (2008)

Rereleases and shovelware editions

Klassiker: Verrat an TKKG

Klassiker: Der Fälscherbande auf der Spur

Klassiker: Wer stoppt den Feuerteufel

Klassiker: Das geheimnisvolle Testament

Klassiker: Voodoozauber

Klassiker: Panik im Internat

Sammleredition 1: 1-3

Sammleredition 2: 5-7

Sammleredition 3: 11-13

Best of Tivola: Film ab!

Best of Tivola: Alarm in der Geisterbahn

Best of Tivola: Gefährliche Ferien

Meisterdetektiv Paket: Der Schatz der Maya & Das Phantombild-Programm

Detektiv Paket 1: Der Schatz der Maya & Das Phantombild-Programm

Detektiv Paket 2: Ein Fall für Mütze & Co & TKKG - Katjas Geheimnis

TKKG Paket: Der Fälscherbande auf der Spur & Wer stoppt den Feuerteufel?

Katjas Geheimnis: PC & Mac - Entwurfs- & Verkaufsversion

Tödliche Schokolade: PC & Mac - Entwurfs- & Verkaufsversion

Schatz der Maya: PC & Mac - Entwurfs- & Verkaufsversion

Verrat an TKKG: PC & Mac - Entwurfs- & Verkaufsversion

Fälscherbande: PC & Mac - Entwurfs- & Verkaufsversion

Feuerteufel: PC & Mac - Entwurfs- & Verkaufsversion

Testament: PC & Mac - Entwurfs- & Verkaufsversion

Voodoozauber: PC & Mac - Entwurfs- & Verkaufsversion

Panik im Internat: PC & Mac - Entwurfs- & Verkaufsversion

Nintendo DS TKKG Detektiv gesucht!

DUTCH RELEASES NOT MENTIONED ABOVE

Een zaak voor TKKG-3: Identikit (this may be one of the German releases, but which one?)

Tkkg 1, De Schat Van De Maya’s + Cap & Co (duo-Box)

ENGLISH RELEASES NOT MENTIONED ABOVE

TKKG Jennifer is Missing (this may be one of the German releases, but which one?)

TKKG Identikit (this may be one of the German releases, but which one?)

Macs Black (80288) on 1/21/2010 3:43 AM · Permalink · Report

Title: Games featuring giant spiders

Description: Games featuring huge, monstrous, Freudian spiders that want to eat you alive.

Limitations: Only games featuring spiders much larger than real-life arachnids.

Games:

j.raido 【雷堂嬢太朗】 (95187) on 1/21/2010 3:52 AM · Permalink · Report

Don't forget these wonderful games, where you get attacked by spiders the size of the Chrysler Building. :)

Pseudo_Intellectual (66362) on 1/21/2010 5:21 AM · Permalink · Report

It is a bad sign that I don't understand what's so Freudian about arachnophobia?

MZ per X (3017) on 1/21/2010 8:08 AM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Macs Black wrote--]Title: Games featuring giant spiders [/Q --end Macs Black wrote--] We should rename the RPG genre to this, shouldn't we? Or is there an RPG without giant spiders out there? =)

Indra was here (20755) on 1/21/2010 9:38 PM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start MZ per X wrote--] [Q2 --start Macs Black wrote--]Title: Games featuring giant spiders [/Q2 --end Macs Black wrote--] We should rename the RPG genre to this, shouldn't we? Or is there an RPG without giant spiders out there? =) [/Q --end MZ per X wrote--] The giant spider attribute should be specified a wee bit. Such as games with zombies and vampires...or else all medieval fantasy games qualify. Hell, every HoMM, Ultima, Bard's Tale and every other RPG has giant spiders in it. :p

Macs Black (80288) on 1/26/2010 11:14 AM · Permalink · Report

Title: Games featuring gigantic spiders

Description: Games featuring the creatures that populate the dreams of Jon Peters.

Limitations: Only games featuring humongous spiders taller than most buildings.

Games:

Indra was here (20755) on 1/21/2010 9:44 PM · Permalink · Report

Just bored. :)

Games with overdeveloped boobies

Games that were obviously developed by teenaged-minded geeks or at least some Asian bloke that spent too many years downloading AV models pic shots. Despite overwhealming (and almost non-existent) pressure from feminist groups, these games continously undermine the female existence to a mere object. Not that there are any males out there complaining about that either. Ghastly.

Hentai games should obviously be excluded, or even a better idea to rename the existing hentai game group to the proposed game group title.

vedder (70822) on 1/21/2010 10:19 PM · Permalink · Report

Speeking of boobs, how about:

Games who's advertisement banners have a high boob-content, but the game itself doesn't have any boobs whatsoever

the latest trend in free to play MMO games.

Indra was here (20755) on 1/22/2010 6:53 PM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start stvedder wrote--]Speeking of boobs, how about:

Games who's advertisement banners have a high boob-content, but the game itself doesn't have any boobs whatsoever

the latest trend in free to play MMO games. [/Q --end stvedder wrote--] This must be the nastiest form of violation ever to set foot in the history of gamers in puberty.

Then again, I always thought that the notion of us being "civilized" is a bit over-rated.

BurningStickMan (17916) on 1/21/2010 10:27 PM · Permalink · Report

Can't you already search by what games Oleg has added?

Indra was here (20755) on 1/22/2010 6:54 PM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start BurningStickMan wrote--]Can't you already search by what games Oleg has added? [/Q --end BurningStickMan wrote--] You said it, not me. :)

j.raido 【雷堂嬢太朗】 (95187) on 1/22/2010 12:19 AM · Permalink · Report

Just what would qualify as "overdeveloped"? We have to be precise in our approach to this, we are a documentation site, after all. I propose an extensive debate on the matter with plenty of examples. I mean, are we talking anything above a D-cup? Bigger than the character's head? Art style can make a big difference in perception, too! And what about games where the character design is inconsistent? We can't just slap this together like the artists probably did!

...and yes, I'm kidding. :P

Patrick Bregger (301035) on 1/22/2010 9:04 AM · Permalink · Report

A series of strategy games where the player manages a hotel

Included games:

• Hotel Giant
    • Hotel Giant 2
    • Hotel Giant DS (pending)

Zeppin (8408) on 1/23/2010 9:08 PM · Permalink · Report

Approved.

Patrick Bregger (301035) on 1/22/2010 9:07 AM · Permalink · Report

A series of strategy games where the player manages a prison.

Included games:

• Prison Tycoon
    • Prison Tycoon 2: Maximum Security
    • Prison Tycoon 3: Lockdown

Zeppin (8408) on 1/22/2010 5:58 PM · Permalink · Report

Submitted, pending review by another approver.

Zeppin (8408) on 1/22/2010 6:00 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

Approved.

Patrick Bregger (301035) on 1/22/2010 9:15 AM · Permalink · Report

A series of hidden object games where the player takes the role of Mortimer Beckett.

Included games:

• Mortimer Beckett and the Secrets of the Spooky Manor
    • Mortimer Beckett and the Time Paradox
    • Mortimer Beckett and the Lost King

Zeppin (8408) on 1/22/2010 6:00 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

Zeppin (8408) on 1/22/2010 6:04 PM · Permalink · Report

Approved.

Patrick Bregger (301035) on 1/22/2010 9:19 AM · Permalink · Report

A series of humorous trivia games.

Included games:

• Ata Hoshev SheAta Haham
    • Ata Hoshev SheAta Haham Yeladim
    • Ata Hoshev SheAta Haham 2

Zeppin (8408) on 1/22/2010 6:03 PM · Permalink · Report

Zeppin (8408) on 1/22/2010 6:07 PM · Permalink · Report

Approved.

Havoc Crow (29859) on 1/22/2010 4:25 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

Title: Rube Goldberg device making games
    Description: Puzzle games where the player is provided a number of predefined elements, and the goal is to arrange them into a contraption that, thanks to the laws of physics and mechanics, will perform a specific goal.
    Examples: The Incredible Machine series, Crazy Machines series, Zagadki Lwa Leona

Tracy Poff (2094) on 1/23/2010 11:34 PM · Permalink · Report

That should be Rube Goldberg, actually.

DJP Mom (11333) on 1/24/2010 1:17 AM · Permalink · Report

LOL!

Foxhack (32100) on 1/24/2010 1:54 AM · Permalink · Report

YOU SAY THAT TO MY FACE!

Macs Black (80288) on 1/26/2010 4:22 AM · Permalink · Report

Title: Games with screensavers

Description: Games with internal screensavers, that activate after some time without player input.

Limitations: Only screensavers integrated to the game, not installed externally to run on the OS. Demonstration modes, or games featuring small, idle animations also don't qualify.

Games:

Foxhack (32100) on 1/26/2010 4:44 AM · Permalink · Report

Robocop Vs The Terminator (SNES) has this too. I think some of Blizzard's console games do too.

Zeppin (8408) on 1/26/2010 5:00 AM · Permalink · Report

Rola (8483) on 1/26/2010 6:22 AM · edited · Permalink · Report

I vaguely recall Fallout... (or only its PipBoy interface?) had something like that?

EDIT: my memory isn't that corroded yet:
    http://media.photobucket.com/image/pipboy%20screensaver/Feasco/FallingBombs.jpg

Pseudo_Intellectual (66362) on 1/26/2010 7:07 AM · Permalink · Report

Okay, what happens when I get around to adding the After Dark collections that intermingle the games with the screensavers? 8)

PolloDiablo (16852) on 1/26/2010 8:33 AM · Permalink · Report

Serious games that intend to inform players about various aspects of global conflicts.

Games to include http://www.mobygames.com/game/global-conflicts-palestine http://www.mobygames.com/game/global-conflicts-latin-america and any games currently still being developed.

Pseudo_Intellectual (66362) on 1/26/2010 8:41 AM · Permalink · Report

So is this group intended just for the series or for other games engaging similar themes? (Hidden Agenda, for instance?)

Zeppin (8408) on 1/26/2010 9:22 PM · Permalink · Report

It's intended for the Serious Games series, although there should be a group for games with similar such themes.

The "Global Conflicts series" group has been submitted and is pending approval.

Zeppin (8408) on 1/26/2010 10:51 PM · Permalink · Report

Approved.

Zeppin (8408) on 1/27/2010 3:17 AM · Permalink · Report

All five game groups have been submitted and are pending approval.

Zeppin (8408) on 1/27/2010 2:49 PM · Permalink · Report

They've all been approved;

Anyone with more experience with the games represented by these groups is encouraged to revise the descriptions. Particularly the 3 Cards group.

Havoc Crow (29859) on 1/30/2010 9:24 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

• Title: The Adventure Collection label
    • Description: A series by the Polish distributor IQ Publishing, which contains various adventure games from various publishers and developers. See http://www.tac.iqp.pl/ (Note: is there a phrase in the English language that would specifically mean "a series of unrelated games, thought up by the distributor"?) Nevermind, Kabushi helped.
    • Example games: All are listed on http://www.tac.iqp.pl/. Example titles include Balko, Still Life or Aurora: The Secret Within

Pseudo_Intellectual (66362) on 1/30/2010 9:26 PM · Permalink · Report

(Note: is there a phrase in the English language that would specifically mean "a series of unrelated games, thought up by the publisher"?)

I think that's what "shovelware" was coined for 8)

Havoc Crow (29859) on 1/30/2010 9:30 PM · edited · Permalink · Report

That's not shovelware... Shovelware refers to a bunch of games tossed on one CD. These are proper, separate games which all happen to have "The Adventure Collection" written on them by the distributor (not publisher - my bad).

Kabushi (261206) on 1/30/2010 9:48 PM · Permalink · Report

I guess you can call it range, label, brand etc

Havoc Crow (29859) on 1/30/2010 9:54 PM · Permalink · Report

[Q --start Kabushi wrote--]I guess you can call it range, label, brand etc [/Q --end Kabushi wrote--] That I shall do. Thank you.

Pseudo_Intellectual (66362) on 1/30/2010 9:52 PM · Permalink · Report

In publishing it might be described as suchandsuchsoft's "Adventure Collection imprint", a term used to describe Bantam's "Living Literature" line of games including Sherlock Holmes in "Another Bow" and I, Damiano -- two titles that had nothing to do with each other besides being literary in origin.

Zeppin (8408) on 1/31/2010 4:04 AM · Permalink · Report

Havoc Crow (29859) on 2/1/2010 8:35 AM · Permalink · Report

A series of turn-based hexagonal strategy games, set in a fantasy world.

Fantasy Wars, Elven Legacy

Havoc Crow (29859) on 2/1/2010 9:04 AM · edited · Permalink · Report

• Title: Premium Games label
    • Description: A series by the Polish distributor Cenega Poland, which is described as "an exclusive series of the best computer games. It contains only the latest releases and - unavailable until now - anthologies of the best hits." The home page of the label is http://www.premiumgames.pl/
    • Example games: Full list is on http://www.premiumgames.pl/index.html.

Zeppin (8408) on 2/1/2010 8:25 PM · Permalink · Report